• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Pertinacious Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

:P

I am aware the thread requires a newbie image. But as a newbie I hate to stray off thread. That leaves the chest that saved many a sailor. And the dangers that require such protection.

post-103965-0-77533000-1442785132_thumb.

Broads Booze and Boats not necessarily in that order works for me. Welcome aboard.

Oh yeah. I'd like to hop down there with a tub of Crisco and say "Ladies, lets play!'

If his course were only slightly more precise it would have been downright geometric!

rimas_star_533px.png

The only geometry I see going on here is the endless circle jerk of the discussion of all things Rimas

...insert hilarious chicken (choke) joke here....

If his course were only slightly more precise it would have been downright geometric!

rimas_star_533px.png

The only geometry I see going on here is the endless circle jerk of the discussion of all things Rimas

Heh heh ... yet you cannot stay away. It's like staring at another guy's babe. You know it's wrong but damn!

rimas_star_533px.png

Heh heh ... yet you cannot stay away. It's like staring at another guy's babe. You know it's wrong but damn!

chuckle....nothing wrong with looking at a woman's lures as that's what God intended! Trouble is once caught the consequences are dire indeed

chuckle....nothing wrong with looking at a woman's lures as that's what God intended! Trouble is once caught the consequences are dire indeed

I have not found that to be the case.

Ever.

Well good, fat chicks need loving too.

:rolleyes:

Ever.

:) you are very fortunate. Either that or you always do what your told without the slightest hesitation

rimas_at_CWB.jpg

Nice picture thanks for posting. Why everytime i see rimas next to a pretty girl, and at my age they all look pretty, they always look more masculine than he? Maybe he drifts because hoisting trimming sails is more than he is physically capable of?......you think?

Ever.

Well good, fat chicks need loving too.

:rolleyes:

:) of course ...Lets start a charity for needy fat girls?

Here is a little light reading from FB.

http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/lifestyle/328292071.html

"Although he didn’t lose an ounce of determination, he did lose four teeth on that stretch of his journey. "

"Friends and acquaintances in American Samoa, where he had eventually docked safely, urged Meleshyus return to the United States..."

"“It’s very important to me to do this for America, for everything (it stands for),” he said."

"Although he didn’t lose an ounce of determination, he did lose four teeth on that stretch of his journey. "

"Friends and acquaintances in American Samoa, where he had eventually docked safely, urged Meleshyus return to the United States..."

"“It’s very important to me to do this for America, for everything (it stands for),” he said."

Yeah, I'll bet they urged him.

When did he explore south America?.. I must have missed that part of his drift << Although he has yet to reach Cape Horn, Meleshyus has had the opportunity to explore much of South America.>>

rimas_at_CWB.jpg

Nice picture thanks for posting. Why everytime i see rimas next to a pretty girl, and at my age they all look pretty, they always look more masculine than he? Maybe he drifts because hoisting trimming sails is more than he is physically capable of?......you think?

i think hes a chick. pun intended.

rimas_at_CWB.jpg

No. Hoisting 2 sails is more than he's mentally capable of.

"Although he didnt lose an ounce of determination, he did lose four teeth on that stretch of his journey. "

"Its very important to me to do this for America, for everything (it stands for), he said."

When did he explore south America?.. I must have missed that part of his drift << Although he has yet to reach Cape Horn, Meleshyus has had the opportunity to explore much of South America.>>

He didn't sail to South America, he walked (or hitch-hiked) through Central America. I don't know how much south of Panama he got.

"Although he didnt lose an ounce of determination, he did lose four teeth on that stretch of his journey. "

"Its very important to me to do this for America, for everything (it stands for), he said."

He didn't sail to South America, he walked (or hitch-hiked) through Central America. I don't know how much south of Panama he got.

The last i heard there was no road through the Draien gap https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap

I think that is also part of the mythology of rimas. The only people I am aware of that ever successfully drove through the darien Gap were a bunch of jeepers in there CJ5's in around 1980. They accomplished this on their own dime after land rover and General motors with full factory funding and helicopter support failed. They were from Georgetown California. American motors did give them a discount on new cj5's but that was the only assistance they recieved. No, rimas did not walk, ride through the Darien Gsp. Then just past the gap he would have had to deal with the FARC, they would have killed him in an instant. South America is not a continent without many dangerous regions. No way rimas ever ventured more than a mile from a starbucks or macdonalds except when drifting

RM: "Its very important to me to do this for America, for everything (it stands for), he said."

I hope you'll all join me in a hearty HELL YEAH AND THANK YOU, JESUS!

Heroic.

He's doing it for 'America' now, because his previous stated goal of doing it 'for children's cancer research' was borderline fraud. Whatever his stated goal is, is just a sales pitch to entice gullible people to fund his drifting and grifting lifestyle.

RM: "Its very important to me to do this for America, for everything (it stands for), he said."

Heroic.

Absolutely! He has his good points as do B's and crabs...... :D

Heroic.

He's doing it for 'America' now, because his previous stated goal of doing it 'for children's cancer research' was borderline fraud. Whatever his stated goal is, is just a sales pitch to entice gullible people to fund his drifting and grifting lifestyle.

Thanks for the reminder, fraud is fraud no matter what buzz words are used

and libel is still libel no matter how it's presented

Why is everyone calling it an engine well? We all know he'll lose the outboard again, so it's just an open transom.

The back fell off.

Any knowledgeable sailor that springs for one of these crappy lake boats for rimas's horn trip may end up a murderer. Would be like giving a kid a loaded hand gun and telling him its ok to point it at his/her head and pull the trigger

And to think the Mrs, is questioning the bluewaterness of our new to us tartan 34-2. the *absolute hilarity* of all this makes me think if OHEY can get to samoa, so can WE!

Why is everyone calling it an engine well? We all know he'll lose the outboard again, so it's just an open transom.

The back fell off.

Any knowledgeable sailor that springs for one of these crappy lake boats for rimas's horn trip may end up a murderer. Would be like giving a kid a loaded hand gun and telling him its ok to point it at his/her head and pull the trigger

And to think the Mrs, is questioning the bluewaterness of our new to us tartan 34-2. the *absolute hilarity* of all this makes me think if OHEY can get to samoa, so can WE!

Hummm, I would ask her what exactly she is concerned about and then address the issue. Maybe she is really saying she isn't bluewater ready?

The back fell off.

Hummm, I would ask her what exactly she is concerned about and then address the issue. Maybe she is really saying she isn't bluewater ready?

yes and a cigar is on the way to you... :)

The last i heard there was no road through the Draien gap https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap

I think that is also part of the mythology of rimas. The only people I am aware of that ever successfully drove through the darien Gap were a bunch of jeepers in there CJ5's in around 1980. They accomplished this on their own dime after land rover and General motors with full factory funding and helicopter support failed. They were from Georgetown California. American motors did give them a discount on new cj5's but that was the only assistance they recieved. No, rimas did not walk, ride through the Darien Gsp. Then just past the gap he would have had to deal with the FARC, they would have killed him in an instant. South America is not a continent without many dangerous regions. No way rimas ever ventured more than a mile from a starbucks or macdonalds except when drifting

I think the Darien gap is only about 50 miles now, but before Panama extended the highway it was slightly more. While it is too swampy and rugged for vehicles, you could walk it aside from the danger of bandits. However there are ferries and ships going to cities in Columbia on both coasts. I read someones blog where they shipped their motorcycle and there is a video of an electric car that went from Panama to Cartegena to get around the gap.

All that said, Rimas could have walked across the border to Juarez or TJ and said he walked South America.

yes and a cigar is on the way to you... :)

hummm....Thanks, last one of those i smoked before i quit back in 1971 was a Crook?

I think the Darien gap is only about 50 miles now, but before Panama extended the highway it was slightly more. While it is too swampy and rugged for vehicles, you could walk it aside from the danger of bandits. However there are ferries and ships going to cities in Columbia on both coasts. I read someones blog where they shipped their motorcycle and there is a video of an electric car that went from Panama to Cartegena to get around the gap.

All that said, Rimas could have walked across the border to Juarez or TJ and said he walked South America.

Based upon what this thread has taught me of rimas's habits I would think walking any distance not his cup of tea. Notice the blank areas like the "walk" accross Canada. No info wonder why just like south america.

It's hard to slander Rimas's claims of record breaking and seamanship, whilst "grifting and drifting" is simply a fair and accurate description.

… and sarcasm is still sarcasm no matter how it's presented.

I think Rimas should roll out the children's cancer research line again, it was some of his better work.

It's hard to slander Rimas's claims of record breaking and seamanship, whilst "grifting and drifting" is simply a fair and accurate description.

… and sarcasm is still sarcasm no matter how it's presented.

I think Rimas should roll out the children's cancer research line again, it was some of his better work.

Work??/ Rimas???.......is you inebriated or something? I beer battered some ling cod the other day and it took lots more beer than usual almost six 22oz bottles! The first two pieces were kinda black then i lowered the temp and the rest were perfect and gone in a flash :rolleyes:

No. Because:

A) Rimas has made himself a public figure, thus comments on him are exempt from libel laws.

B) he in fact drifts. He has yet to exceed a 1.4 knot average on his voyages, nor has he displayed an ability to sail upwind.

C) He is entirely dependant upon others for funding, provisioning, or refitting his boat. He is a grifter. He is a homeless bum, who uses a boat and Fundly account as a means to beg money. Otherwise, he'd be living under an overpass and begging. He refuses to work, and there's no evidence he's stated of holding any job other than briefly being an interpreter for Japanese tourists.

He's doing it for 'America' now, because his previous stated goal of doing it 'for children's cancer research' was borderline fraud.

It wasn't "borderline" fraud, it was outright fraud.

There's a squirrel in my front yard who has done just as much to support cancer research as Rimas.

No. Because:

A) Rimas has made himself a public figure, thus comments on him are exempt from libel laws.

B) he in fact drifts. He has yet to exceed a 1.4 knot average on his voyages, nor has he displayed an ability to sail upwind.

C) He is entirely dependant upon others for funding, provisioning, or refitting his boat. He is a grifter. He is a homeless bum, who uses a boat and Fundly account as a means to beg money. Otherwise, he'd be living under an overpass and begging. He refuses to work, and there's no evidence he's stated of holding any job other than briefly being an interpreter for Japanese tourists.

I'm not so sure about 'A' but the rest is right on.

It's amazing how many people don't get it, Rimas is not even a good scammer. Calling him a lazy jack-off is a slander against masturbation.

Rimas could be a poet, but he's not willing to work even that much.

FB- Doug

There's a squirrel in my front yard who has done just as much to support cancer research as Rimas

FB- Doug

I would put money on the squirrel being able to handle a boat better too.

He's doing it for 'America' now, because his previous stated goal of doing it 'for children's cancer research' was borderline fraud.

It wasn't "borderline" fraud, it was outright fraud.

There's a squirrel in my front yard who has done just as much to support cancer research as Rimas.

No. Because:

I'm not so sure about 'A' but the rest is right on.

It's amazing how many people don't get it, Rimas is not even a good scammer. Calling him a lazy jack-off is a slander against masturbation.

Rimas could be a poet, but he's not willing to work even that much.

FB- Doug

rimas a slander against masturbation?? I'll buy that, the task involves work, expending energy, and we all know of his aversion to work

No. Because:

Re. C

I've lost track but has anyone confirmed Ramus worked as an interpreter?

I'm thinking based on his work ethic and tendency to exaggerate he might have given an Asian couple he saw on the sidewalk directions to the nearest Starbucks.

No. Because:

Re. C

I've lost track but has anyone confirmed Ramus worked as an interpreter?

I'm thinking based on his work ethic and tendency to exaggerate he might have given an Asian couple he saw on the sidewalk directions to the nearest Starbucks.

I tried to find evidence but was unable to do so. I believe its just part of his grifter fantasy designed to show he has value

Jean said he was on Guam interpreting.

Interpreting is basically just talking.

Rimas has demonstrated he is a talker.

Nobody ever said he was a good interpreter.

I hope he wasn't translating it into English.
I think he was Japanese-Russian interpreter for tourists. I doubt this was a steady job, probably just an 'on call' interpreter a Hotel desk could call. There is no indication he did interpreting for diplomatic or intelligence services. There was some kind of mention of him working as a dishwasher in SF, but I can't confirm.

I think he was Japanese-Russian interpreter for tourists. I doubt this was a steady job, probably just an 'on call' interpreter a Hotel desk could call. There is no indication he did interpreting for diplomatic or intelligence services. There was some kind of mention of him working as a dishwasher in SF, but I can't confirm.

Not much of a work record to show for his 63 years. In fact the two items above are based upon speculation not facts.

That said I kinda like the guy and hope I will have the chance to meet him this winter.

Not much of a work record to show for his 63 years. In fact the two items above are based upon speculation not facts.

That said I kinda like the guy and hope I will have the chance to meet him this winter.

With any luck, you can have his baby.

It's early here on the East Coast but I suspect this will be the post of the day.

very funny, but i think your more my type. If we ever have to spend boring days at sea together please make sure you have on board your IUD or pills :rolleyes: ...I cannot afford anymore kids

But that's probably the least of your potential problems. Ivan Good luck, you'll need.

yeah, Samsung Galaxy s6 cover would be great. Thank you for Samsung Galaxy s6 edge plus cover.

Now this is a new slant for the new guy that's glad he signed up.

Yes, but Anarchy style baby making is less fun then wondering if some drifter will find himself on the beech or get to sail off the edge of the earth (a record for sure). Sorry Ishmael, back to Queequeg's bed.

But that's probably the least of your potential problems. Ivan Good luck, you'll need.

yeah, Samsung Galaxy s6 cover would be great. Thank you for Samsung Galaxy s6 edge plus cover.

Yes, but Anarchy style baby making is less fun then wondering if some drifter will find himself on the beech or get to sail off the edge of the earth (a record for sure). Sorry Ishmael, back to Queequeg's bed.

drifter... or do you mean grifter, a wannabe drifter. He's not a drifter until someone else buys the boat, provisions it and then has him towed out to sea.

SPAM

SPAM

drifter... or do you mean grifter, a wannabe drifter. He's not a drifter until someone else buys the boat, provisions it and then has him towed out to sea.

Don't quote spammers and if you do, don't include their links. You're encouraging them and making them money.

so rimas found out he could make money spamming? genius .

No, i think that would be too much work for rimas he would rather grift or beg. I hope he one day proves me wrong
For Rimas to stop grifting means getting a job. For him to stop drifting means learning to sail. I've seen no indication of either happening, ever.

yeah,SPAM would be great. Thank you fo SPAM.

Surely there is some jinxed boat that has killed its crew, or some woman determined to spite the ex by destroying his boat after stealing it in the divorce. I couldn't bring myself to place the add in divorce dot com and like my own 'extra' dingy far too much. Maybe something from the Zombie thread. The drifter isn't just a grifter, he's our message in a bottle. Insert message here _________________

Ethics question? Would this become more noble if we 'borrowed' a noisy jet ski to tie off his stern?

post-120910-0-52697800-1443291379_thumb.jpg

post-120910-0-79609600-1443291774_thumb.jpg

Surely there is some jinxed boat that has killed its crew...

There's a thought!

Pair a boat that kills skippers with a skipper that kills boats.

Tow the whole bleedin' catastrophe outside the environment and let the chips fall where they may!

Don't forget the tracker/poetry-generator!

No, i think that would be too much work for rimas he would rather grift or beg. I hope he one day proves me wrong
For Rimas to stop grifting means getting a job. For him to stop drifting means learning to sail. I've seen no indication of either happening, ever.

No, we both noted that he briefly sailed upwind before Jean ruined it by calling the towboat into Samoa.

No, we both noted that he briefly sailed upwind before Jean ruined it by calling the towboat into Samoa.

Ah, your right, thank you for reminding us.

i remember you guys bringing that to our attention. So, how many miles would that be?He claims 12,000 miles sailed so I would like to calculate the approximate percentage time drifting compare to the % sailed time.

Ah, your right, thank you for reminding us.

i remember you guys bringing that to our attention. So, how many miles would that be?He claims 12,000 miles sailed so I would like to calculate the approximate percentage time drifting compare to the % sailed time.

I'd put the over/under as the Ivory formula.

post-10935-0-96041900-1443382652_thumb.jpeg

Are you sure he did sail upwind? I thought he had only managed a reach?

Two tacks...

His pleas for help ramped up amazingly… "only been sailing 4 years" "c'mon guys" etc etc.

For a record breaking heroes of countless ocean miles it was a pitiful bleat, given the perfect sailing breeze and a landfall that doesn't get any easier for a sailor.

Does anyone have knowledge of the currents at the time of his, " sailing"? Even if he is given those few miles of upwind sailing what is that, 1/10th of a percent of the total miles claimed at sea in which he sailed. Is that enough to make him a qualified sailor?

Does anyone have knowledge of the currents at the time of his, " sailing"? Even if he is given those few miles of upwind sailing what is that, 1/10th of a percent of the total miles claimed at sea in which he sailed. Is that enough to make him a qualified sailor?

He was approaching the island on a beam reach. His course would have taken him around the windward side. As the mountains came into view, he headed for them rather than hold his course to clear the weather side. At darkness, he dropped his sails and drifted NW and lost 15+ miles to leeward. At dawn he attempted to regain ground to windward, coached over the DeLorme. Over the entire day, he did manage to gain a few miles back, tacking through about 160deg. When night fell he began bleating for help, and Jean called in a tow.

This is not to mention several days in advance he'd asked to have a tow arranged.

So, if we can generously grant him 2 miles of windward progress, then out of 12,000 sea miles that represents 0.0001667% of his sailing miles being to windward.

He was approaching the island on a beam reach. His course would have taken him around the windward side. As the mountains came into view, he headed for them rather than hold his course to clear the weather side. At darkness, he dropped his sails and drifted NW and lost 15+ miles to leeward. At dawn he attempted to regain ground to windward, coached over the DeLorme. Over the entire day, he did manage to gain a few miles back, tacking through about 160deg. When night fell he began bleating for help, and Jean called in a tow.

This is not to mention several days in advance he'd asked to have a tow arranged.

So, if we can generously grant him 2 miles of windward progress, then out of 12,000 sea miles that represents 0.0001667% of his sailing miles being to windward.

So, in your opinion is this enough sailing time to label Rimas a sailor? In my book he is a well qualified drifter.

I haven't visited this forum in a few months; any way I could get a recap or update? I will likely look though these forums eventually but a summary would be great!

Rimas drifted for several months and eventually washed up in American Samoa. After selling his kidneys on the local meat market, he bought a plane ticket to The United States of America for real, aka the mainland.

He is currently drifting and grifting around the PNW, and if we see him in Canada we will shoot him on sight. He welcomes your gift of a SJ24, cash, and creamy mashed potatoes.

I haven't visited this forum in a few months; any way I could get a recap or update? I will likely look though these forums eventually but a summary would be great!

Rimas drifted for several months and eventually washed up in American Samoa. After selling his kidneys on the local meat market, he bought a plane ticket to The United States of America for real, aka the mainland.

He is currently drifting and grifting around the PNW, and if we see him in Canada we will shoot him on sight. He welcomes your gift of a SJ24, cash, and creamy mashed potatoes.

Ohey, that's a good summation. I keep hoping that someone will offer some basic sailing lessons so he can actually make it out of the harbor and try his Southern Ocean leg finally. The ocean gods feel like they've been cheated of their ritual sacrifice.

Ohey, that's a good summation. I keep hoping that someone will offer some basic sailing lessons so he can actually make it out of the harbor and try his Southern Ocean leg finally. The ocean gods feel like they've been cheated of their ritual sacrifice.

Rimas has 927 Facebook friends, many of whom are enthusiastic enablers. The Ocean Gods are waiting on a larger following before any sacrifice. They are patient.

That's just it. Sailing lessons have been offered. A captains course too, but the grifter won't have it.

That's just it. Sailing lessons have been offered. A captains course too, but the grifter won't have it.

I guess actually knowing how to sail would take away a lot of the excuses he currently has for being such a fuck up. It would reduce a lot of the sympathy factor too.

This is the irony that gets me...... and probably why the ocean gods are laughing...... 8 of the most experienced ocean racing sailors in the world sailing one of the most most hi-tech yachts in the world runs aground on a fucking charted island. Yet Rimas, the numbnuts grifter, somehow manages to survive drifting for 5000 miles across the pacific ocean on nothing but instant potatoes and bullshit in arguably a POS un-seaworthy small craft. That's just totally unfair. He should be dead right now, not basking in the glow of his "accomplishments" with a cult following. The gods of the deep have been cheated, I tellz ya. Ohey!