Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

...^^...interesting stuff. seems like an accurate assessment by both parties.

.....it only takes one concerned citizen to notify the coasties of a 'concern',,

......something to have mariners 'watch out for'. :mellow:

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

Here ya go, Surfer - looks like my link was bad - classic Rimas radio interview: https://m.soundcloud.com/cory-kaimana-barros/rimas-meleshyus-radio (or just google search "Rimas Meleshyus radio interview"

Listening to this is like masturbating with a cheese grater. Slightly amusing, but mostly painful. :blink:

If Rimas gets back from his 'shakedown' cruise to Monterrey, I am going to hook him up with a nice gal that could do him a world of good.

Diana Nyad!

11775c56d12a5e223526a1366df5fbe7.jpg

She averages higher speeds on her voyages and she doesn't even have a boat! Or a motor for that matter...

She has her own 'huge geography' too!

Diana-Nyad2.jpg

He won't have to call for tows as he nears the end of his voyages, just feed Diana some moldy oats and have her suit up in a harness and she could tow the MIMSY in to safe harbor.

I think she just towed these guys in,

03-diana-nyad-1975-blog480.jpg

Blowing 30+ off Conception. 14' at 14 seconds.

Has anyone done a rough dead reckoning for his position, assuming he's drift-sailed south since being towed out of Monterrey? What date did he leave? I just quickly plugged in Monterrey to Pt Conception in Google Maps on my phone, and it tells me 262 land miles, pretty much a straight line, so roughly the same at sea.

Anyone have a range of rough DR estimates where he might be, assuming he went south? Off Pt Conception already?

In the San Juan he averaged about 33 miles per day drifting downwind or on a broad reach. He can sail a beam reach, but drifts downwind when he sleeps. I imagine he averages about the same in the Rawson.
So, we're talking, say, 30 miles a day (since some time last Thursday, is that right? So, part of Thurs Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues (today), five and a half days at 30 a day, give or take. So, anywhere from maybe 150 to maybe 180+ miles south of Monterrey as of this evening?

We are, of course assuming he went south, aren't we? There is no evidence for this other than we know he can't sail upwind?

If he had an enabler (and I think he did because of the cobbled together `jib') then it may be that the enabler attended to the motor and prop. With the main sheeted in hard and the motor ticking over he may get some miles north provided the breezes are no more than 20 knots.

He could still pop up off the Golden Gate Bridge looking for a tow.

probably unlikely the motor runs. Sediment probably got stirred up in tanks before and clogged filter. Plus the battery was dead. also, harbor master had to tow him out.

Got a philosophical question to ask - knowing what we "know," I.e., can reasonably speculate based on what we can piece together from the events since he was towed out of Monterrey, and not knowing whether he headed north or south, but knowing how the breeze changed and the poor state of his sails, questionable engine, and thus little likelihood of having chargeable batts and thus perhaps no nav lights after a while...is there any sense at all in anyone here notifying the CG as a "by the way, we heard about this clueless guy with a bit of a history who just got towed out of Monterrey, and..." kind of call? I mean, seriously, all of it taken together, and Rimas' demonstrated foolishness, and somewhat advanced age, frankly, doesn't add up to a great picture.

Just wondering out loud - should CG be notified? By Friday if he doesn't turn up?

No mom. He is a big boy now. Time to let him go.

Fuck... First losers on the water calling the CG for trivial matters, now land based idiots based on what they read on some out of control Internet forum. Fuck me!

Does this mean you are water based and don't read the forums?......hummm, the above seems to be evidence that the opposite is true.

As for your last sentence it looks like you are in luck cause in today's world there are always those willing to stick it to you anyway they can.

Enjoy

I know Bligh personally, both on and off the water, and I can attest that he's nothing but truth.

He seriously went down to Monterey on his own time just to see what was up with Rimas, and when we spoke, his account of the experience was nothing short of mind-blowing. I won't regurgitate what he already posted a couple pages back, but he truly felt that this man need some serious help and should never be left alone near any body of water larger than a bathtub. Maybe not even a bathtub...

I don't doubt Bligh's word a bit. I've been saying for a year and a half that Rimas is dangerously (to himself) delusional, and his boat should be padlocked to the dock. We can still be entertained by mounting a GoPro on a piling and giving him a box of tools.

...I didn't mean to infer that Bligh was anything but totally upfront in his account. I appreciated his effort.

....Furnish's comment seems accurate...

''I honestly think he understands the risks. His issue is he just doesn't care.''

...beyond that, the aggrandizing is clear.

I got the same imppresion from rimas as Jim

I called Homeland Security and told them Rimas had a dirty bomb in his pants. I'm not sure if they were going to rescue him or scramble fighters.

I don't think you can wrap anyone in bubble wrap and protect them from themselves. Obviously he wants to drift around and eventually he will die. I'm told everybody dies.

I think we should get him another orange life ring that says "if found please notify SA and or FB". That way eventually we would know what happened to him.

557957_1381880728705361_20168505_n.jpg?o
Jack Hodges Rimas is assuredly headed for Hawaii. The prevailing winds will take him there. He will get help there and then probably head for the south Pacific. He does not need the Coast Guard searching for him. This is his decision, and it is an easy sail to Hawaii this time of year. He ususally has a lot of batteries, so he will likely be able to keep his GPS running. I gave him my sextent years ago, but that was buried in the Aleutian Isands, and he would never learn to use it anyway.
12670066_10154576312064251_5565503110986
Marc Lefebvre He wasn't provisioned when he left. I hope he is a good fisherman. And knows how to collect water.
541122_397225923621284_1762192235_n.jpg?
Dan Wierman Jean Mondeau has said that he only had the batteries in the GPS and no spares.
5441_10153385587912539_53335377804635920
Bryan Vaughn Can't he just sail around the world in that direction?
Like · Reply · 5 mins

Ha! Rimas learning celestial navigation is a hoot. Bet he just bungee corded the sextant to the rail next to the orange lifering and the mahi mahi.

I thought somebody had mentioned he had an eprib- which surprised me. So, I stand corrected, probably.

Ok, then, good chance of him showing up in a few years mummified and surrounded by empty potato flake packages.

I suggested he may.

Of all the crap the enablers have bought for him an EPIRB should have been no 1.

Rimas said he had plenty of provisions, but I'm doubtfull. This is the guy who can't even inventory the food on board. He was yelling he was out of food long before he got to the Equator the last time.

I do think Jean is on the right track...Rimas is in a panic his boat will be taken away, or that he'll be charged money for dockage and provisions. He's headed somewhere cheap, where there's natives he can sponge off of.

Jack Hodges Rimas is assuredly headed for Hawaii. The prevailing winds will take him there. He will get help there and then probably head for the south Pacific. He does not need the Coast Guard searching for him. This is his decision, and it is an easy sail to Hawaii this time of year. He ususally has a lot of batteries, so he will likely be able to keep his GPS running. I gave him my sextent years ago, but that was buried in the Aleutian Isands, and he would never learn to use it anyway.

Marc Lefebvre He wasn't provisioned when he left. I hope he is a good fisherman. And knows how to collect water.

....ain't Hodges the voice of confidence. :mellow:

Hawaii is one of a number of places Rimas feels he has wasted his welcome,, why did he pass right by last time without a 2nd thought,,,iirc that was shortly after his announcement of food running low,,,

....before he found more :rolleyes:

...''fishhook? ...darn I forgot it again'' :wacko:

a full 4 days now.

I'm actually sitting ok with the possibility that Rimas has gone to sea without a means of calling for help. He will survive or not, without calling on others in bad weather to help him.

Whilst he talks continuously of surviving storms, I don't think he has had a proper depression give him a hiding. He is at a high enough latitude to cop one at the moment and if he gets one in that 4knot SB he will be in all sorts of trouble given his complete lack of competence.

The question of an intervention will be an endlessly discussed issue if he disappears.

Ha! Rimas learning celestial navigation is a hoot. Bet he just bungee corded the sextant to the rail next to the orange lifering and the mahi mahi.

If what you say is correct then he has decided to end his live by sailing out into the big blue away from all his torementers and into the cool peaceful arms of the sea. I kinda got that feeling from the HM pix of him as they cut him adrift. Kinda like what i have thought of doing but never done when feeling down.

If he manages to make it off shore and dosen't get caught by the california current my guess is he will disapear into the big deep blue sea

.........The question of an intervention will be an endlessly discussed issue if he disappears.

...definitely would be a sore spot for the enablers. :mellow:

does he even have an epirb? In the past he always showed off all his equipment but i never saw an epirb

If what you say is correct then he has decided to end his live by sailing out into the big blue away from all his torementers and into the cool peaceful arms of the sea. I kinda got that feeling from the HM pix of him as they cut him adrift. Kinda like what i have thought of doing but never done when feeling down.

....not sure if it would be so effective up the delta. juss sayin :mellow:

Well, they have these things called marine supply stores...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bpo/5496508232.html

Wanted Sailboat Refit stuff - $1 (burien)
00f0f_2znbChVJdUR_600x450.jpg

I am restoring a Rawson 30'Sloop and need many related items....Bilge pumps ,Fresh water pumps. Marine Head, Through hull /shut off valves. Cockpit drain scuppers. 1" water line hose. Foam for cushions, Material for cushions, , Port holes, galley sink/head sink faucets. Anchor rode/chain , electronics, bottom paint ,deck paint and much more......Thanks

This was posted over on Cruising Anarchy.

Could it be?!!

Is Rimas headed for Seattle for a refit?

I am restoring a Rawson 30'Sloop and need many related items....Bilge pumps ,Fresh water pumps. Marine Head, Through hull /shut off valves. Cockpit drain scuppers. 1" water line hose. Foam for cushions, Material for cushions, , Port holes, galley sink/head sink faucets. Anchor rode/chain , electronics, bottom paint ,deck paint and much more......Thanks

Could it be?!!

No. It's upwind. And he has no money for a refit, nor skills.

Could it be?!!

No. It's upwind. And he has no money for a refit, nor skills.

The author uses English and knows the names of equipment... not Rimas.

Some people are just Cruisers Forum tools, reading Bob Bitchen, listening to Buffet, smokin' the weed, drinking the rum drinks, and wishin' good vibes on everyone no matter how f'd up you are.

Not me..... I'm a cynic. The glass is only half full if you didn't pour me enough, and it's only half empty if I've already drank half of the glass.

post-102910-0-94524600-1458776949_thumb.png

I recall, but not 100% certain, that our Hero Posted on FB that be had more than 100 days of food on Board.

On March 18th he said this:

"It was a lot food on my boat always. I never sailing to the open ocean no food"

....not sure if it would be so effective up the delta. juss sayin :mellow:

:) Not always in the delta often go inshore and offshore fishing in the Charleston Oregon area which is not far from my farm. Last year i was side tracked by GOLD!

saturdays gold best ever cropped And tweaked2 1.9 grams

Three grown dummies reward for sunup to sundown hard hard labor. Less than $50

I recall, but not 100% certain, that our Hero Posted on FB that be had more than 100 days of food on Board.

does that mean a hundred packages of buttery idaho taters and dried mahi mahi i wonder?

I would be most concerned about him having water or the means to collect water.

I don't think he can get north against the wind and current, so he is voluntarily or involuntarily going south, west, or into the surf.

Based on the way he hoists his main, I'd say he has plenty of means to collect water :rolleyes:

Shit man, he could take a bath in that puddle of water.

And he always has that jib as a backup plan.

(not for making headway, mind you)

1ANgioV.jpg

Based on the way he hoists his main, I'd say he has plenty of means to collect water :rolleyes:

And he always has that jib as a backup, 'lest he allow it to flog beyond recognition as he's done so in the past....

1ANgioV.jpg

Do you think this picture may be the last as he sails into SA history?

I don't know. He'll either end up wrecked on land or we'll never hear from him again. This thread will probably live at least another 50 pages though, that is for certain.

Let's do a poll. I say "yup"

I'm with you Training Wheels if he dosen't show up on a beach in the next few days. He left this time with almost none of the essentials needed for a blue water crossing

I guess he will fade into the ether, only to be found mummified clutching his orange life ring five years later still wearing his sailor hat and blazer.

Man, if only to climb inside the head of the guy at the West Marine in Sausalito that clicked that pic.

Or better yet, the guy that did that sticker handy work on that worthless orange life ring...

I wish I was proficient in Photoshop, because I'm my mind right now, I picture Rimas hanging onto that thing for dear life somewhere in the middle of the Pacific right now.

Could it be?!!

This can't be from Remiss, why would he need a marine head?

Seems so un rimas like for him to be outa the spotlight. He loved the attention...............

We should all get together and have a good ole wing ding of a barbecue and hoe down in celebration of all the idle time we wasted following his wandering.......well not really wasted it was fun. Whom do we get to take his place???....

Seems so un rimas like for him to be outa the spotlight. He loved the attention...............

We should all get together and have a good ole wing ding of a barbecue and hoe down in celebration of all the idle time we wasted following his wandering.......well not really wasted it was fun. Whom do we get to take his place???....

He'll show up. We just don't know where. The attention he got on fb is like crack to him. Plus he'll need money or gifts of gear to replace that he broke or dropped overboard.

Could it be?!!

to put the used oats in.

.........The question of an intervention will be an endlessly discussed issue if he disappears.

...definitely would be a sore spot for the enablers. :mellow:

I've gone back and forth on this in my head a bunch. Not sure how "enabled" he is. Sure I know he has been helped along but seriously, if he was left homeless ashore how long would we give him? He may be a hapless idiot but he sure seems to beat the odds at sea. On land he would probably meet the same fate, on faster.

People keep saying that it has been 4 days.... Without the Delorme we won't get updates and I doubt that tub has had any water over the bow so I bet he is still above the surface. Food and water? Batteries? These are the things we mortals worry about! I hope the best, but fear the worse for our hero.

If this is the end of our hero at least we will always have "Ohey!"

This is the guy who can't even inventory the food on board. He was yelling he was out of food long before he got to the Equator the last time.

Don't forget, it's idiot Rimas writing! "Out of food" could mean something as simple as he's finished his meal and his bowl is empty.

potatoes_in_bowl.jpg

His two gold star enablers seem to have pulled the pin on helping monetarily so no DeLorme. Otherwise he would have had no problems in Monterey.

Jean has certainly changed his mind about supporting Rimas and is even critical of him. When you think about how much he has helped Rimas it's like the end of a marriage for Rimas. He may also be out to prove himself in the face of rising criticism.

This is the guy who can't even inventory the food on board. He was yelling he was out of food long before he got to the Equator the last time.

Don't forget, it's idiot Rimas writing! "Out of food" could mean something as simple as he's finished his meal and his bowl it empty.

potatoes_in_bowl.jpg

Geez.....Good comment thanks. I'll bet he still has some buttery idaho instant smashed potatoes hidden even if a bit soggy.

He will persevere, he always has in the past...what scares me is the time of year he has left and the crazy conditions he is likely to encounter inshore more than offshore

His two gold star enablers seem to have pulled the pin on helping monetarily so no DeLorme. Otherwise he would have had no problems in Monterey.

Jean has certainly changed his mind about supporting Rimas and is even critical of him. When you think about how much he has helped Rimas it's like the end of a marriage for Rimas. He may also be out to prove himself in the face of rising criticism.

Um... He has problems regardless.

I am concerned nonetheless.

Um... He has problems regardless.

I am concerned nonetheless.

I was referring to the problems specific to his being in Monteray ie: no money for mooring fees. no replacement anchor, no adequate repair/replacement for jib.

But yes um... I agree with you, he has always had problems and now they are at a whole new level.

If he manages to make it off shore and dosen't get caught by the california current my guess is he will disapear into the big deep blue sea.

... only to pop up again in some random huge geography, cheerful and boastful as ever.

cockroach_of_the_sea.png

"It's for America."

His luck will have him flag down...( bump into at night) a boat on delivery to Cabo and get towed all the way to Dago where Woody will great him with a fish taco and a old whore

I'd say meeeeee!

except

English is my native language

I am willing to learn new things

I can sail upwind

So that would be boring...

If our Hero sailed North and

If He wasn't run over by a fast moving frieghter and

If He didn't get tossed onto a Lee shore...

he just Might be turning up Outside the gate in the next 48 Hours

enablers stand ready !

Could it be?!!

Plus it is too well written.

If our Hero sailed North and

If He wasn't run over by a fast moving frieghter and

If He didn't get tossed onto a Lee shore...

he just Might be turning up Outside the gate in the next 48 Hours

enablers stand ready !

except for one fact, to do as you suggest would require riam take an active part in the direction he sails something which his past record says he is not inclined to do. For him to do so would require"work" something he finds abhorrent and disgusting only suitable for enablers and other riff raf in his eyes. Maybe the chicken will sail the boat?

Could it be?!!

Plus it is too well written.

It would also say all donated items must come with installation if it was truely from ReamUs.

Batteries must be low or gone by now.

Does anyone know whether Rimas has a compass? I've looked through Mimsy photos and can't spot one.

Ground Control to Major Tom

Your circuit's dead,

there's something wrong

If this guy becomes a martyr for people who value following your dumb ideas over knowledge and skill, I'm going to be super pissed.

Mostly because I'll have to take my Rimas Adrift page down out of "respect."

Does anyone know whether Rimas has a compass? I've looked through Mimsy photos and can't spot one.

Ground Control to Major Tom

Your circuit's dead,

there's something wrong

In a word: Yes

I see the movie version being more in the lines of "Being There". Simpleton comes out of no where. Says he likes to sail blue water. Enablers misinterpret that into record breaking world class round the globe sailor. They buy him boat and set him on his way. He flounders around and succeeds despite himself. They slowly realize he isn't what they thought he was. They withdraw support. He defies all logic and walks off on the water (sans boat) never to be seen again while voice over states "Life is a state of mind". Fin.

post-672-0-79051600-1458842265_thumb.jpg

A side bar between Jim Furnish and Jean said nope, no compass.

Holy mother of god. No fucking compass?

Geez, haven't you guys ever heard of the ancient Polynesian voyagers' technique of star path navigation, which enabled them to cross thousands of miles of trackless ocean? http://www.lapita-voyage.org/pressecenter/background_en.html

Rimas is probably using the methods of the ancients to reach Polynesia...

post-31704-0-72807200-1458845540_thumb.jpeg

Almost verbatim what Furnish said...

Jean Mondeau He had food and water for a month or two if he rations. No extra batteries and no compass

12744049_1199872153376099_77403131478128
Jim Furnish No compass? At all? NO COMPASS ON A BOAT AT SEA?...aye yi yi yi
1798332_1226127170750597_359070174836274
11831645_10205826003067766_2677937982810
Jean Mondeau None that I saw anywhere.

Almost verbatim what Furnish said...

Thanks to his FB friends, he has a nifty wheel clock and can approximate longitude. Maybe he has a magnet and cork?

Why would he need such a distraction? He knows which way downwind is.

Why the upset? Like he'd know how to use it.

They were probably smart enough not to give him a hand held anyway.