Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Unbelievable! Saw the facebook updates this morning and my jaw dropped. Towed in again no less. Honestly, good on him... I think he's officially the luckiest man alive...

NO NO NO!

NOT good on him. Bad on him. The sea was supposed to swallow him up this time. FUCK! JFC, mother nature - can't you get your shit straight for once?

I don't wish him dead, as that would be bad karma. Its just that there have been amazing and well prepared sailors that have died at sea doing what they love and this assclown thinking he is the greatest sailor alive mocks them.

The sea has no obligation or motive. To the sea, as he is to many on here, Rimas is no more than just another piece of floating debris. The real mystery may be that he has once again found (assisted) landfall rather than ending up circling the great garbage patch...

However, I do think Rimas is providing us all with valuable lessons regarding the migrations of ancient peoples across oceans. Thor Heyerdahl showed us that you can go a long ways clinging to a decaying pile of balsa. And Rimas has been demonstrating that successfully reaching another patch of dry ground with no skill or knowledge or found poetry or chickens can happen with far greater regularity than I would have ever thought possible. So, given a strong enough motivation for leaving (war, famine, pestilence, the simple human desire to move, or eviction for unpaid dockage) the arrival of ancient peoples across oceans no longer holds fascination for me. Thank you Dr. Rimas for clearing that up.

Well said.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Lochnerian Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

How did he get from 279 miles off California to Hawaii in 18 days?

Hmm. So he averaged ~6kt VMG assuming he tucked himself in bed for 8 hours each night? (4kt w/o the shut-eye). Something is amiss.,,
The answer is obvious. With enough time, even a chicken can learn to sail.

It must've been a fascinating evolution for Rimas to watch.

OMG - that is the funniest thing I've seen in 13K+ posts in this thread. Pure FUCKING gold!

hmmm

Quite a Few Rimas style Images in the latest packet, but also a Number of scenes that Rimas could not Have staged. too clean & too organized.

simple answer Might be the Boat was clean and organized by enablers on departure and day After das Rimas chaos, flith, & neglect slowly set in.

we'll Have to wait a Few days until SA gets exyewitness reports

Looking at those photos I find myself wanting to ask questions about things- like "Is that head sail turned 90 degrees?" or "is he using anchor rode as running rigging?"

But then I come to my senses.

Well he made the news again hawaiinewsnow stating he had no food ect ect ha really has learned how to work the system . I can just hear the coastguard telling him to call towboatUS but then he throws in his emergency BS so they are then obliged to help. If your just a few hours from land we all know that a craving for a cheeseburger and cold beer will make you go at it harder. His constant calls for help and tows in n out is really getting old.

Well he made the news again hawaiinewsnow stating he had no food ect ect ha really has learned how to work the system . I can just hear the coastguard telling him to call towboatUS but then he throws in his emergency BS so they are then obliged to help. If your just a few hours from land we all know that a craving for a cheeseburger and cold beer will make you go at it harder. His constant calls for help and tows in n out is really getting old.

...sounds like they've got his number,, seems like pretty accurate reporting,,

......other than missing his last visit to Hawaii :mellow: ...... anyone remember what port that was?

Sailor rescued off Big Island has gotten into trouble on high seas before

Wednesday, May 4th 2016, 6:30 pm PDT Wednesday, May 4th 2016, 9:03 pm PDT

By Chris Tanaka, Anchor / Reporter
video here....CONNECT

(Image: Rimas Meleshyus)
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

During the three days before he was rescued off the Big Island on Tuesday, sailor Rimas Meleshyus could think of little else than how hungry he was.

"You dream about food, you dream about water," the 64-year-old said. "You cannot imagine no food no water."

Meleshyus made a distress call to the Coast Guard some 11 miles to the northeast of the Big Island. First responders arrived, picked him up, and towed him in.

It's not a surprise, though, that the Russian ex-patriot ran out of food so far from shore. He had set sail from California 46 days prior with limited supplies. "I look in my food, maybe I have less than a month food and 15-gallon water."

Fortunately, Meleshyus began rationing his food and water early on. "Last 15 days maybe I eat only one can. And water I drink very little," he said.

But should he have been sailing at all, especially since this isn't the first time he's needed help on the open seas?

In March, he needed help while sailing off San Francisco.

In 2014, a major search was launched for him when he went missing in the Pacific. Later that year, he had to be towed into harbor in Pago Pago.

And in 2012, he wrecked off the Aleutian Islands.

Some in the sailing community say he doesn't know how to sail at all -- that he simply drifts with the wind and currents.

When asked about that, Meleshyus was undaunted by the criticism. "I no worry about it. Coast Guard always been good to me. Need to be positive, need to be good, good, good attitude," he said.

Meleshyus says it will take three to four months to fix his boat in Hawaii. After that, he says he's heading to the South Pacific.

Any Anarchists in Hawaii must know what to do next, but in case you don't: GO PUT A DELORME ON THAT DAMN BOAT RIGHT NOW!

Think of all the found poetry we missed. The horror.

YES

I WILL DONATE TO DELORME FUND.

....that'd just encourage him. Perhaps not if someone hid it on the boat,, but then we'd miss the bullshit poetry.

......other than missing his last visit to Hawaii :mellow: ...... anyone remember what port that was?

video here....CONNECT

During the three days before he was rescued off the Big Island on Tuesday, sailor Rimas Meleshyus could think of little else than how hungry he was.

"You dream about food, you dream about water," the 64-year-old said. "You cannot imagine no food no water."

Meleshyus made a distress call to the Coast Guard some 11 miles to the northeast of the Big Island. First responders arrived, picked him up, and towed him in.

It's not a surprise, though, that the Russian ex-patriot ran out of food so far from shore. He had set sail from California 46 days prior with limited supplies. "I look in my food, maybe I have less than a month food and 15-gallon water."

Fortunately, Meleshyus began rationing his food and water early on. "Last 15 days maybe I eat only one can. And water I drink very little," he said.

But should he have been sailing at all, especially since this isn't the first time he's needed help on the open seas?

In 2014, a major search was launched for him when he went missing in the Pacific. Later that year, he had to be towed into harbor in Pago Pago.

Some in the sailing community say he doesn't know how to sail at all -- that he simply drifts with the wind and currents.

When asked about that, Meleshyus was undaunted by the criticism. "I no worry about it. Coast Guard always been good to me. Need to be positive, need to be good, good, good attitude," he said.

Meleshyus says it will take three to four months to fix his boat in Hawaii. After that, he says he's heading to the South Pacific.

That's awesome! Wonder what his Facebook fan boys will say about that!

video here....CONNECT

We'll find out. I just posted the article to his FB wall.

In an effort to keep it up longer, I said it was "More press coverage of the Greatest American Sailing Adventure!"

The picture looking aloft explains some of the strange rigging and the so-called "repair" of the shredded headsail. He (or someone) rigged multiple sheets along the shredded leech. Maybe someone helped him set this up before he left Monterey? Seems a bit too industrious for him to have come up with this on his own.

Is that the main halyard properly fouled?

Having someone else along would explain a lot of things, but I'm assuming the news report came from a Hawaii Fire Dept release or blotter of some sort? They reported him being solo. Maybe he had someone stowed away in the chicken coop?

Illuminary???

video here....CONNECT

We'll find out. I just posted the article to his FB wall.

In an effort to keep it up longer, I said it was "More press coverage of the Greatest American Sailing Adventure!"

Good job! Please report back here for those of us, like me, that don't FB

Holy crap I can't believe this dumas went BACK OUT! this thread grew to epic proportions, and I figured it was the endless speculators about his next trip, I had NO idea the guy got out again, and made landfall again. You KNOW it's a matter of days before he sets out again. Nobody is keeping this guy down.

I'll chip into the fund to track him! Who is setting it up?

He's going to need a Wilson Volleyball soon.

He needed Wilson right from the start!

qzhudSQ.jpg

Greeting from Hawaii internet sailor. Yes long trip but I make it and you are only talking talking talking and I am sailing long trip by myself. Its ok, sea is beautiful place and big enough for everyone.

LOL at 3 or 4 months to prepare the boat to depart for South Pacific. We know Rimas won't lift a finger. He doesn't have money to pay anybody, and won't get a job to earn the money. So unless Jean flies to Hilo and does all the work and pays all the bills, the boat will just sit there racking up dockage fees while Rimas sips Starbucks and posts pictures on FB, until the dock master kicks him out.

LOL at 3 or 4 months to prepare the boat to depart for South Pacific. We know Rimas won't lift a finger. He doesn't have money to pay anybody, and won't get a job to earn the money. So unless Jean flies to Hilo and does all the work and pays all the bills, the boat will just sit there racking up dockage fees while Rimas sips Starbucks and posts pictures on FB, until the dock master kicks him out.

Sailing I am go sailing and you are typing on internet. But is ok sea is big enough for many sailor and also maybe you will go one day. Very warm weather here I like the warm very much. Long time sailing here but very good.

Scott Neuman Interesting sheeting arrangement.

Like · Reply · 2 hrs

1016202_405810486201419_1979137261_n.jpg

Nick Itha Ok, guys! Sorry, but I need to step in here. I have been following you for a long time, and it seems that I know all of you and each of you personally. And no matter what you think of Rimas ( whom I know personally) and his ability to sail, I hope you were all relieved to learn that he made it safely to Hawaii. Yeah, he can't hit the land on his own, yeah, it may take him 46 days to reach Hawaii instead of three weeks, so what? In the end, he is there, and where are you? Living your boring lives on shore, being couch potatoes, drinking beer, watching football and criticizing others? Is there anybody among you as free as Rimas as regards to being an empty nester or no nester at all able to go where your heart leads you, to do what you dream of and live your life to the fullest? Which of you is planning to be a liveaboard? Which of you is planning to go through Panama Canal to the Caribbean and then cross the Atlantic to Europe? Anybody? Nobody? Oh, well, then stop criticizing his "shrouds" and "spars" and admit that you underestimated Rimas and are jealous and envious of him, and you wish you were as lucky as he is to have seen much more than you have or ever will.

Like · Reply · 1 · 9 mins

1888493_10151955092135981_1368228122_n.j

Kerry Patrick Coyne You are a fool. Personally attacking people that you know less about than we do of rimas, is actually worse than what you accuse "us" of doing. The loose shrouds could case his rig to fail. It is a legitimate safety issue. If you knew anything about sailing you'd understand that. Your assumption of what we,(I) am doing in my life couldn't be more incorrect, but I'll leave it at that. I like to follow along because this is a wildly fascinating tale, and chime in when I think I have something of value. It's cute you're a rimas fanboy, but I promise attacking strangers only makes you look foolish.

Like · Reply · 2 mins

Sailing I am go sailing and you are typing on internet. But is ok sea is big enough for many sailor and also maybe you will go one day. Very warm weather here I like the warm very much. Long time sailing here but very good.

if you're real one. not a bot,

as you're typing on a sailing forum.

Godd luck with crossing the South pacific. when you enter Roaring Forties, you'll think you've entered Hell.

Godd luck with crossing the South pacific. when you enter Roaring Forties, you'll think you've entered Hell.

Sometimes I am typing internet forum many people talking about me but I am sailing Hawaii. Now I am reading Internet forums. many things to do fixing boat .

About roaring 40s Crossing gulf of Alaska first time in small boat San Juan 24 I have many experience sometimes . How I can do it I don't know yet. Maybe try.

Stirring the pot a bit...

Jim Furnish · Friends with Rimas Meleshyus
Pfffffttt, how many solo voyages across the Pacific Ocean has this,...this...this so called news person, Chris Tanaka(if that's even his real name), made? He tries to sound like some expert or something and quotes anonymous so called "sailors: criticizing or disparaging Rimas and his efforts. Well, Mr.Tanaka, why dont you watch this before you go spouting off that Rimas cant handle a boat? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNKiuWHF88o

Rimas..Around The World!

Like · Reply · 15 mins · Edited

Tom Ray It's only a solo voyage if you do it by yourself. That includes tow boats. Rimas has yet to complete a solo voyage.

It would appear the FBers have arrived.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

9 members, 2 guests, 1 anonymous users

No FB'er. I came for the Flyin' Hawaiin, but I stayed for Rimas. Unfortunately I missed Reid Stowe, but not all of us could be in San Francisco in the late 60's.

It's just a sock puppet registered after Rimas was flushed out to sea.

I think Rimas mentioned his sister in New Zealand as a last option when he fears the boat will be in too sad a condition even for him.

He should have $600 in his SS account which is plenty to stock up food for hundreds of days of drifting to NZ, but not enough to pay the dockage in Hilo. I wonder how long they give him free moorage before he gets the boot?

I'm also interested in the disparity between Jean's report of 80-90 days food and 80 gallons of water at Monterey and Rimas account on arrival of departing with 15 gallons water and a small amount of food along with the three fish he caught and photographed. We know Rimas is an embellisher of world class status.

Medicaid requires you to spend down to almost nothing before you can get into a nursing home, so maybe Rimas is onto something where there is no point in accumulating financial reserves and being responsible when you can just sponge off other people until the government takes care of you. I think he is planning to live on the boat indefinitely if he can get his sister to plant the boat in her garden.

Rimas is thinking NZ is a grifting well he hasn't tapped yet. Besides hitting up his sister for a room and meals, B.J. Porter is there with all kinds of spare parts, sails and tools.... ;)

What he hasn't yet figured out is that a little ways south of Samoa he runs out of the Trades, and might have several hundred miles of beating upwind to get to NZ. To date, he hasn't beat upwind more than a couple miles. Also possible is he abandons the boat in Samoa again, and cashes his SS checks to buy an airplane ticket to NZ.

Well he sniffed out the free WiFi in Hilo pretty quick. Gotta think he is smoozing some unwary waterfront denizens right about now. Regaling them of tales of his bravery and the unfortunate turn of events in his Around the World quest. Grifting Cockroach of the Sea is doing his thing.

LOL at 3 or 4 months to prepare the boat to depart for South Pacific. We know Rimas won't lift a finger. He doesn't have money to pay anybody, and won't get a job to earn the money. So unless Jean flies to Hilo and does all the work and pays all the bills, the boat will just sit there racking up dockage fees while Rimas sips Starbucks and posts pictures on FB, until the dock master kicks tows him out.

Fixed

Now he's alive, it's OK to make fun of him again? Good, 'cuz Rimas is still a freeloading moron no matter what the other morons on Facebook think of him. I would be interested to know if he had help rigging up the multi-sheets on his jib. It just seems like so much work.

FB- Doug

LOL at 3 or 4 months to prepare the boat to depart for South Pacific. We know Rimas won't lift a finger. He doesn't have money to pay anybody, and won't get a job to earn the money. So unless Jean flies to Hilo and does all the work and pays all the bills, the boat will just sit there racking up dockage fees while Rimas sips Starbucks and posts pictures on FB, until the dock master kicks tows him out.

Fixed

Now he's alive, it's OK to make fun of him again? Good, 'cuz Rimas is still a freeloading moron no matter what the other morons on Facebook think of him. I would be interested to know if he had help rigging up the multi-sheets on his jib. It just seems like so much work.

FB- Doug

It's possible he rigged the multiple sheets in between the falling overboard and whale collision incidents. All record-breaking blue water sailors have falling overboard and whale collisions on their 'resume' for the benefit of the gullible FB fanclub.

Looks like another FB purge coming soon. No one is permitted to point out the Admiral isn't wearing any clothes.

lol

I think I found where the caulk on the jib smeared off on some stuff. Or something.

13174004_586171798208390_563756346808278

There it is! Big ol' 3 strand used as running rigging. Great stuff!

I returned from Hilo last week and it looks like I just missed him. I kept a lookout for him, even on the flight back to California.

I hope a local SA'er spots him and reports his position. There are no marinas in Hilo. I saw a few boats in anchorage in Hilo Bay and also in a nearby lagoon. There's a little cove next to the cruise ship terminal but I don't think it's deep enough for him even if the locals tolerated his presence. Since he has no anchor and no dinghy I'm sure he will be departing soon. Good luck to you Rimass

No anchor? For true??

Shoot, an old used Danforth is cheap, and good as a new one.... also handy if you run aground and don't want to set farther aground.

Rimas is a unique item, for sure. But regardless what he does, Lady Luck seems smitten nevertheless..

Jean brought him a small anchor during his Monterey layover. IDK if he has a rode,,,perhaps the 3-strand in photos is the remains of it.

Regardless of what anchoring gear Rimas has, he's not capable of using it. He doesn't know how to set one, how to determine scope, how to watch for and prevent chafe. He's tied to a dock somewhere, until he's kicked out.

No anchor? For true??

Shoot, an old used Danforth is cheap, and good as a new one.... also handy if you run aground and don't want to set farther aground.

Rimas is a unique item, for sure. But regardless what he does, Lady Luck seems smitten nevertheless..

Get a grip. Rimas doesn't buy stuff, he grifts it. Whoever gives him an anchor is going to have to set it for him too.

Our hero says he's near the Suisan fish market on the fanboy page.

From what I've read the waiting list to live aboard there is longer than a few of us are likely to live.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Suisan+Fish+Market/@19.7236642,-155.0707534,188m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x371ccabf928f2411!8m2!3d19.7239053!4d-155.070174

More pics from the now wifi connected voyager. After review WTF is this strange basket hoisted in the shrouds? Please advise.

That explains the weird rigging seen in earlier photos. I count three sheets somehow attached to the leech of the genoa. How they are attached, who knows...

Looks like he's tried to arrange multiple clews on the jib - hence the rat's nest leading back to the 'pit, also a couple of halyards tangled up round the spreaders. If one is the main, could account for him not using it.

Not as many flags as usual.

Rimarse is single-handedly depriving several villages of an idiot.

More pics from the now wifi connected voyager. After review WTF is this strange basket hoisted in the shrouds? Please advise.

That explains the weird rigging seen in earlier photos. I count three sheets somehow attached to the leech of the genoa. How they are attached, who knows...
I think he tied a sheet to any torn and flapping piece of jib. I'm not sure what the rest of the rats nest is....surprised there's not more bungees.

Dayshape 'basket': I Am Fishing. (Long John SIlver's has free WiFi.)

Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Nick Itha Ok, guys! Sorry, but I need to step in here. I have been following you for a long time, and it seems that I know all of you and each of you personally. And no matter what you think of Rimas ( whom I know personally) and his ability to sail, I hope you were all relieved to learn that he made it safely to Hawaii. Yeah, he can't hit the land on his own, yeah, it may take him 46 days to reach Hawaii instead of three weeks, so what? In the end, he is there, and where are you? Living your boring lives on shore, being couch potatoes, drinking beer, watching football and criticizing others? Is there anybody among you as free as Rimas as regards to being an empty nester or no nester at all able to go where your heart leads you, to do what you dream of and live your life to the fullest? Which of you is planning to be a liveaboard? Which of you is planning to go through Panama Canal to the Caribbean and then cross the Atlantic to Europe? Anybody? Nobody? Oh, well, then stop criticizing his "shrouds" and "spars" and admit that you underestimated Rimas and are jealous and envious of him, and you wish you were as lucky as he is to have seen much more than you have or ever will.
Kerry Patrick Coyne You are a fool. Personally attacking people that you know less about than we do of rimas, is actually worse than what you accuse "us" of doing. The loose shrouds could case his rig to fail. It is a legitimate safety issue. If you knew anything about sailing you'd understand that. Your assumption of what we,(I) am doing in my life couldn't be more incorrect, but I'll leave it at that. I like to follow along because this is a wildly fascinating tale, and chime in when I think I have something of value. It's cute you're a rimas fanboy, but I promise attacking strangers only makes you look foolish.
Like · Reply · 2 mins

I'd love to answer Nick Itha, but I don't want to "Friend" Rimas.

Rimas is thinking NZ is a grifting well he hasn't tapped yet. Besides hitting up his sister for a room and meals, B.J. Porter is there with all kinds of spare parts, sails and tools.... ;)

What he hasn't yet figured out is that a little ways south of Samoa he runs out of the Trades, and might have several hundred miles of beating upwind to get to NZ. To date, he hasn't beat upwind more than a couple miles. Also possible is he abandons the boat in Samoa again, and cashes his SS checks to buy an airplane ticket to NZ.

I'll be in New Caledonia before he can panhandle enough money and help to be a problem here!

Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Like · Reply · 2 mins

I have been fighting the urge to join the club. Maybe we can write stuff and funnel everything through Tom Ray. :)

That's where the chicken slept when off watch. Rimas was getting a bit grabby.

So, how many of this fools 9 lives have been spent so far? 4 or 5??

This will not end well, and that's a shame. He could get a job and become a useful member of societey, but.....

Never mind, that was a stupid brain fart right there...

So, how many of this fools 9 lives have been spent so far? 4 or 5??

This will not end well, and that's a shame. He could get a job and become a useful member of societey, but.....

Never mind, that was a stupid brain fart right there...

He's been rescued/towed 7 times...every time he's solo-sailed. I guess 9th time his 9 lives are used up. I'm not counting the times he 'fell overboard', as there's no way of knowing if they're real or a figment of his imagination.

Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Like · Reply · 2 mins

I have been fighting the urge to join the club. Maybe we can write stuff and funnel everything through Tom Ray. :)

The problem is I want to tell that twit that I DO live on a boat, cruise full time, cross oceans, arrive in a harbor without a two, and end up arriving at where I set out for, so I am quite capable of calling out Rimas. And maybe the couch dwellers like here should STFU and learn something from the competent sailors that think Rimas is a risk to himself and others. But I can't make Tom make that personal claim...

In theory I could friend him, then immediately stick him in the "Restricted" group with my Trump-adoring aunt who can't stop being insulting me and being rude to my friends. Then he won't be able to creep my profile.

Of course, I'd probably last about three posts with the Rimas worshippers before I got flicked anyway.

The progressive reefing system of the partially-shredded jib actually looks like a well-thought-out jury rig of sorts. I think it might have been Jean. He met him on the water, set up the jib that way and pointed Rimas at Hawaii with a GPS waypoint for Hilo.

The progressive reefing system of the partially-shredded jib actually looks like a well-thought-out jury rig of sorts. I think it might have been Jean. He met him on the water, set up the jib that way and pointed Rimas at Hawaii with a GPS waypoint for Hilo.

.....yeah, and Ted Cruz's dad sank the Flyin' Hawaiian.

Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Like · Reply · 2 mins

The problem is I want to tell that twit that I DO live on a boat, cruise full time, cross oceans, arrive in a harbor without a two, and end up arriving at where I set out for, so I am quite capable of calling out Rimas. And maybe the couch dwellers like here should STFU and learn something from the competent sailors that think Rimas is a risk to himself and others. But I can't make Tom make that personal claim...

In theory I could friend him, then immediately stick him in the "Restricted" group with my Trump-adoring aunt who can't stop being insulting me and being rude to my friends. Then he won't be able to creep my profile.

Of course, I'd probably last about three posts with the Rimas worshippers before I got flicked anyway.

I could say something like, "I know sailors. You're not a sailor." But I guess that doesn't sound as good.

I think you should friend him so it'll be easier for him to find you when he drifts that far. I'm still praying for that collision of worlds. :P

Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Like · Reply · 2 mins

I could say something like, "I know sailors. You're not a sailor." But I guess that doesn't sound as good.

I think you should friend him so it'll be easier for him to find you when he drifts that far. I'm still praying for that collision of worlds. :P

You're just putting off the ashes ceremony. I hear the teeth are the hardest to get down.

911 calls because my pizza has not arrived ect ect.. I'm not sure the CG takes faking an emergency just to get a free tow into port lightly. He may get on the habitual offenders list.thats 2 sos calls inside 60 days? One to get into Monterey and the other Hilo? He says the CG has always been good to him ....for how much longer . they should send him a bill

Doug

It's possible he rigged the multiple sheets in between the falling overboard and whale collision incidents. All record-breaking blue water sailors have falling overboard and whale collisions on their 'resume' for the benefit of the gullible FB fanclub.

Except Rimas has missed the industry standard record breaking sailor job of going up the rig to effect a repair.

Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Like · Reply · 2 mins

Carefull what you wish for. That collision of brain matter and anti-brain matter could end life as we know it.

-Rimass is no dummy. He doesn't need a tow into port just because of his meager navigation and boat handling abilities. It is because he knows that he will get an emergency tow to a dock and then, somehow, he becomes a "legitimate tenant", at least for a while. If he could sail into a harbor, he wouldn't know where to tie up. His rescuers are also his enablers. Don't tell him about hospital emergency rooms or when he's on land he'll have 911 on speed-dial.

Try sailing into a little harbor somewhere with no reservation and no money. How long before they tell you to GTFO?

Doug

Except Rimas has missed the industry standard record breaking sailor job of going up the rig to effect a repair.

He's more practical. He'll bring the rig down for repairs.

Will he use it as a chance to clean his sails?

Or the whole boat.

post-120910-0-64017300-1462501296_thumb.jpeg

post-120910-0-78049800-1462501311_thumb.jpeg

-Rimass is no dummy. He doesn't need a tow into port just because of his meager navigation and boat handling abilities. It is because he knows that he will get an emergency tow to a dock and then, somehow, he becomes a "legitimate tenant", at least for a while. If he could sail into a harbor, he wouldn't know where to tie up. His rescuers are also his enablers. Don't tell him about hospital emergency rooms or when he's on land he'll have 911 on speed-dial.

Try sailing into a little harbor somewhere with no reservation and no money. How long before they tell you to GTFO?

That's an interesting take.

Once someone helps him, he becomes their responsibility.

Doug

Or the whole boat.

Those are sad photos. Which brings up some issues...

Mimsy is pretty old. I wonder what condition his thru hulls, seacocks, hoses, clamps and sterngland are in. I wonder if he even has any wooden bungs to seal any of these? Hopefully an enabler has attended to these things.

Doug

Or the whole boat.

Those are sad photos. Which brings up some issues...

Mimsy is pretty old. I wonder what condition his thru hulls, seacocks, hoses, clamps and sterngland are in. I wonder if he even has any wooden bungs to seal any of these? Hopefully an enabler has attended to these things.

You wonder? He doesn't check his anchor line for chafe in 4 months. He doesn't clean the barnacles off his prop. He leaves the brand new jib up flogging to shreds in a squall. He doesn't tighten the davit bolts shaking loose. And you wonder if he's checked the thru-hulls, hoses, stern gland, etc? Nothing gets checked until it breaks...then it's just bad luck.