Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

I could say something like, "I know sailors. You're not a sailor." But I guess that doesn't sound as good.

I think you should friend him so it'll be easier for him to find you when he drifts that far. I'm still praying for that collision of worlds. :P

Eat hot death.

Aw, come on. Try to see the potential for humor! It's the one thing that could probably get me to read your blog!

Besides, once you get tired of him you can just go someplace upwind and that will be the end of it.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

Rimas couldn't sail 11 Nm in 8 hours....must have been upwind.

I know you're joking but I think that's what really happened.

The story that his sails and steering were disabled sounds a little too familiar. I've seen it when teaching kids to sail. They point the boat at an upwind destination and suddenly their sails and steering are disabled.

Yeah, but the difference is that after a few tries (sometimes a couple, sometimes a couple dozen), a light suddenly goes on and the kid learns to sail close-hauled and tack to an upwind goal. All the kids I work with learn to rig their own boats and take care of their own gear, too. Rimas is on his third boat now and what has he learned? The Coast Guard will tow you in if you tell them you are out of food and it's an emergency.

Rimas is not a sailor, he's a bum.

FB- Doug

I think someone should start a fake FB account as Yves Parlier or the like & chime in on his enablers. Wouldn't want to blight their name though. Maybe a link to this thread instead?

News of departure should be coming soon.

(SOME GUY) Where you at rimas . Hilo?

Like · Reply · 1 · 17 hrs
68415_107245382767703_706699869_n.jpg?oh
Rimas Meleshyus I am near Suison in Marina I would like to meet you, but now I am going to the office master harbor.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 17 hrs

I continue my policy of liking pretty much anything Rimas says or does.

We can all imagine how that meeting went.

I repeat: SOMEONE GET A DELORME ON THAT BOAT! QUICKLY!

-Rimass is no dummy. He doesn't need a tow into port just because of his meager navigation and boat handling abilities. It is because he knows that he will get an emergency tow to a dock and then, somehow, he becomes a "legitimate tenant", at least for a while. If he could sail into a harbor, he wouldn't know where to tie up. His rescuers are also his enablers. Don't tell him about hospital emergency rooms or when he's on land he'll have 911 on speed-dial.

Try sailing into a little harbor somewhere with no reservation and no money. How long before they tell you to GTFO?

Yes its valet parking for the cockroach

Unfortunately (or not) I am on Maui, and cant go over to see the Rimas on the Big Island. Not sure he would appreciate my humor. :D

Oh FFS man, Admiral Rimas can sail Kon-Tiki style in an engineless, decrepit vessel from CA to Hilo and you can't get a well equipped boat from Maui to the Big Island? Find yourself a fucking captain's hat and a chicken to (ab)use for entertainment en-route and get the fuck over there. We need on site reporting, dammit!!

Was this inspired by Adm Rimas?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/04/health/dementia-game-sea-hero-quest/?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool

(CNN)Have you ever wanted to take to the seas on a global adventure? A new game available on smartphones worldwide from today does just that -- and could help dementia patients in the process.

The game, called Sea Hero Quest, asks players to set sail in search of precious artifacts -- in the form of memories -- which can be collected at different locations around the world.
As you progress through the game, scientists can use the data you generate to gain insight into your spatial navigation abilities -- one of the first skills lost at the onset of dementia.

This is where Jean stumps up some cash to keep him going.

Jean has not commented on FB since Rimas has landed.

Actually he has:

Jean Mondeau1.9 kts average speed.

Like · Reply · 2 · May 4 at 1:41pm

That's all I've seen.

You are right, I did see that one.

Actually he has:

That's all I've seen.

More than 1/2 in faster than any other trip.

The average speed reported by Jean fits in with the straight shot from Monterey, and puts the lie to his statement that Rimas was hanging out 279 miles offshore or whatever it was.

Actually he has:

That's all I've seen.

More than 1/2 in faster than any other trip.

The average speed reported by Jean fits in with the straight shot from Monterey, and puts the lie to his statement that Rimas was hanging out 279 miles offshore or whatever it was.

Jean was also wrong about no compass and 80-90 days of food and water.

Perhaps being hungry and thirsty will have made him think twice before setting off again? Surely he knows this will end very badly if he continues??

This is getting desperate! We NEED a reporter on scene. Is there anybody who didn't insult this man? https://www.facebook.com/hotrod.james Is there nobody on the island? Its not like anybody is sailing over there.

Mostly Cloudy
74.3 °F
Feels Like 76 °F
N
Wind Variable
Gusts 0.0 mph

Today is forecast to be NEARLY THE SAME

Perhaps being hungry and thirsty will have made him think twice before setting off again? Surely he knows this will end very badly if he continues??

He thinks the CG is always there for a rescue/tow. I'm quite sure he has no comprehension of 'what if', or he'd be learning to sail and preparing his boats better.

Whe you are sailing for very long voyages. You must to have short wave radio,than you are enjoy to hear music,news, the weather too from around the world in any language so many stations, the best at night and very clear broadcasting , I now seven language to me very it was handy to have.

-PAXP-deijE.gif
LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare
Comments
Rimas Meleshyus Thank you and Aloha to you from very beautiful island of Hawaii.
Like · Reply · 1 hr

Big black spot above is a video of a Bell/Howell SW radio. Very random

Too many people talking worry about me. . Not need worry! Really I will fix boat here Hawaii and go back to ocean soon. Thank you i am ok.

I can to answer question about Bluewater sailing trip to Hawaii with people in beautiful city of Hilo but not on Internet when people not friendly or helpful.

Too many people talking worry about me. . Not need worry! Really I will fix boat here Hawaii and go back to ocean soon. Thank you i am ok.

I can to answer question about Bluewater sailing trip to Hawaii with people in beautiful city of Hilo but not on Internet when people not friendly or helpful.

You decided to do work on your boat yourself? Please post pictures of your progress.

How will it make him think twice, if he hasn't thought once yet?

Maybe that's a bit harsh, and he is smarter than given credit for, but the evidence is pretty slim. And anyway, dying on a boat at sea might be better than dying of hookworm under a bridge.

FB- Doug

You decided to do work on your boat yourself? Please post pictures of your progress.

That sock doesn't write like Rimas and signed up here less than an hour before we got news that the real Rimas had been towed out.

For those who don't want to dig through the thread, here's a link:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=149798&p=5265367

Are sun warmed dolphin as sexy as a hand held chicken?

That sock doesn't write like Rimas and signed up here less than an hour before we got news that the real Rimas had been towed out.

I know it's a sock. But I think it might be one of the FB fanclub.

News of departure should be coming soon.

(SOME GUY) Where you at rimas . Hilo?

Like · Reply · 1 · 17 hrs
Rimas Meleshyus I am near Suison in Marina I would like to meet you, but now I am going to the office master harbor.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 17 hrs

I continue my policy of liking pretty much anything Rimas says or does.

We can all imagine how that meeting went.

I repeat: SOMEONE GET A DELORME ON THAT BOAT! QUICKLY!

Agreed on the Departure Announcement.

Office Master Harbor: "Sir, it costs $50/day to tie up here."

Rimas: "I am having not money,"

Office Master Harbor: "Buh-Bye, then..."

Those who have been to Hilo know that it is not a "destination" for yachts:

• There are a handful of dock spots on the Wailoa River, mostly with "Med Tie" which I'm quite confident is well beyond Rimas's knowledge, let alone capability.
  • There's free-loader anchorage in Reeds Bay but no facilities like head pump-out, showers, etc.
  • A couple of commercial piers.

The reason Rimas keeps ending up at Hilo is because it's the only port in Hawaii on a lee shore!

Where did he stay last time?? Boat is considerably bigger so when does the grifting license run out and they catch up to him?? Small world I assume over there so the harbormasters must talk, No??

I don't think harbormaster needs to look at this thread. All he's got to do is look at Mimsey to see cash in advance is a good idea. Rimas will be on a very short leash. There won't be any 3-4 month 'work on the boat' period... He better provision the boat right now for 120 days, cause he could be kicked out on very short notice.

I'd be really interested to hear what the harbormaster had to say to Rimas. Since Rimas has no dinghy or anchor set up, a free anchorage is beyond his reach.

I think Shannon paid for the last stay in Hawaii, or maybe several people did, but Shannon did most of the rigging and paid for the Delorme.

Since a FB benefactor paid his tab in Monerey, I'd bet that some one would pony up again. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rimas give out the Harbormasters info and ask for donations.

I think he's got 2 months SS...$600. That probably won't even get a months dockage. He needs 120 days provisions, needs to increase his water capacity, and batteries for the GPS and VHF. The boat needs a lot of work to be seaworthy, but that's not stopped Rimas before. No one to do free work.

I think he's in similar situation as Pago-Pago. Unless his fanclub kicks in $1000 and someone flies over to do his work for him, he might be stuck there. Can't afford to stay, can't afford to leave.

The wife and I were discussing "Rimas - Go with the flow and then call a tow"

movie.

Who would play Rimas?

So, our best guess...

Rowan Atkinson plays Rimas?

Directed by RS?

RS will make it a musical. I vote Christopher Guest to direct. Love Rowan Atkinson as Rimas!

The wife and I were discussing "Rimas - Go with the flow and then call a tow"

movie.

Who would play Rimas?

So, our best guess...

Rowan Atkinson plays Rimas?

Directed by RS?

Sadly, Burgess Meredith is no longer available to star. Spitting image.

I know it's a sock. But I think it might be one of the FB fanclub.
Jim Furnish having his usual fun, I reckon.

Rimas. I'm chasing a family of raccoons out of my spare boat and found a sail you can have. It has racing numbers so you know it's fast. Proven to point and plane. It's too expensive to mail to Hawaii ($60 fed ex). Will you be returning to the continent on your way to New Zealand? Or if you mail me a check and address I'll send it to Hawaii. I haven't put any bullet holes in it. Honest.

Who owns a big Hatteras or Viking, etc., near SF lacking only diesel that would take a group of fuel buyers on a run to check in on this disaster? Could satisfy the rubber necking and maybe save this deluded person's ass. He might not be able to call for help this time it sounds like. Or is the USCG likely tracking the train wreck already?

We only know that Rimas said his destination was SF. Reality is he's drifting downwind, so he can be damn near anywhere. I suspect CG is tracking him... He'll be calling for another tow soon. He's quite incapable of entering any port and tying up or anchoring without assistance. He thinks authorities are there as a personal valet service.
He's predictable.

Dear Mr Rimas,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Boo. I am a dog. I don't actually talk, I just write on the internet when my owner is not around. Its tough without opposable thumbs, but I get by. Hunt and peck I think you call it. If she would trim my nails more often, it would be easier. But that's another story.

I belong to a lovely woman in Melbourne named Meli who is in need of a good man. I have followed your adventures with much interest and I have decided to try to get the two of you together. I think you would make a perfect couple. Its obvious the two of you are lonely and in desperate need of companionship. Maybe your drive to get back to the sea and sail drift downwind means god is sending you to my master. She considers herself a connoisseur of poetry and I have to say in all my dog years I have never seen such a master of the written word. Please get back to sea soon, drift west and sweep Meli off her feet. Call the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard in Melbourne when you get close.

Cheers,

Boo

Uh-oh. Pleas for help from Rimas on FaceBook recently:

• Sailing around the world will be continue after everything is fixing must be mast down, mast is big and need to find people who can help to put down in Hilo, Hawaii.
  • The first need to get Genoa or jib sail and to fix everything and than I continue sailing all way around the world.
  • I will continue from Aloha islands to South Pacific.

​But there's an easy way for you to donate!

Jim Furnish

Dear Friends Of Rimas;

I'm sure you are all as relieved and happy that Rimas is safe and sound in Aloha Land. We know he is going to take a well deserved shore leave to build up his strength, both physical and mental strength, as well as repair and restock the Mimsey for the next leg of his incredble voyage around the world. Now I know that you, like myself, would just about give it all up to go sign on with Rimas and help him realize his dream. We all know we could count on you to help do the bottom, spit and polish the old girl and give that rigging a tune up-but, sorry to say, most of us because of our busy lives just cant drop everything and go join Rimas. Now I know that is a disappointment. You're probably sitting there right now wringing your hands wondering just how you can help Cap'n Rimas, well, worry no more.

The link is stale (photos of his SJ24) but it'll still accept donations; dig deep folks!

I donated $5!

post-452-0-20785000-1462657929_thumb.jpg

Seriously, it's painless and if we all donated $5 he'd be able to continue, maybe even buy and fund a DeLorme. I've already got $30 into his odyssey, two phone calls to American Samoa which were moderately amusing.

More fodder for the grist mill. A nice 80% (ridiculously) short hoist jib trimmed properly with main in concert. Whut think you of this?

It's a dinghy mainsail. Note that it has a headboard, and several grommet holes in the luff for slugs or slides, and also a Cunningham grommet. Good catch and good view. It was hard to figure out in the poor photo from Monterey Harbormaster. Perhaps it was a sail for the dinghy Rimas lost? Or maybe it's a $20 sail Rimas picked up in Monterey, or was a donation.

Someone should suggest to the CG that they send a few boys over to drop the rig for Rimas. He'll never get it back up, this sparing the CG/FD from future courtesy tows.

Exactly what sails Rimas has onboard is a mystery. Surely a leech damaged roller furling 150% and the sail above, also possibly a light #1 150 hanked on jib rarely seen. Mainsails, probably only one for the Rawson 30, usually poorly hoisted or trimmed and also rarely seen and in unknown condition.. Plenty of hamper to go DDW; upwind, not so much. It could be Rimas can't go upwind because he has no sails capable of doing so.

$15,000 worth of donations could remedy his sail wardrobe problems, donate often and soon!

https://fundly.com/rimas-around-the-world

Reverse barber hauling - very fast

Averaged 1.9 knots this time...new record. I hope he's not having any physical problems adapting to this high rate of speed.

This one shows the spot where the previous photo I posted shows a compass next to the companionway.

13151941_587057161453187_564046723818432

The electrical plug us there and something else but it's not the compass.

Outstanding job furling the flag. I guess.

Exactly what sails Rimas has onboard is a mystery. Surely a leech damaged roller furling 150% and the sail above, also possibly a light #1 150 hanked on jib rarely seen. Mainsails, probably only one for the Rawson 30, usually poorly hoisted or trimmed and also rarely seen and in unknown condition.. Plenty of hamper to go DDW; upwind, not so much. It could be Rimas can't go upwind because he has no sails capable of doing so.

$15,000 worth of donations could remedy his sail wardrobe problems, donate often and soon!

...donations = complicity

I gave $30 bucks earmarked for a life harness at the beginning of this thread,,,,

.........before I realized what a fuckwit th'guy is :mellow:

Needing to drop the mast may explain what happened to the main -- the halyard chafed through before the sail got a chance to get shredded.

...prolly thinks he needs to drop the mast to get the main halyard untangled from the spreader :lol:

Someone suggest a donation to the FD for the tow.

Post 109, 2.5 years ago:

I think raising money for a second rescue makes more sense than raising money for rigging. There seem to me to be some gaps in his preparation and no amount of charm or enthusiasm will fill them. Put on new rigging and most of the gaps will still be there.

I don't want to stop him, but if I want to give some money to promote sailing I'll stick to my local Community Sailing Center, thanks.

Rimas had a brand new Genoa. He shredded it due to his incompetence and laziness. Giving Rimas anything nice is a waste, he doesn't take care of things. Let him dumpster dive until he learns how to sail and maintain a boat.

five hours ago. The mast is fine but the wires aren't:

Rimas Meleshyus Mast is OK but wires do not moved inside

Personally, my mast has several dozen wires in it, VHF masthead COAX (a fat sucker), two sets of anemometer cables to two different transducers and readouts, 4 wire Telcor apparent wind sensor, Windex illumination, 9 amp deck lighting at the spreaders, steaming light, anchor light, and masthead strobe light, I know it's slow for 40lbs DC of wire in the mast, but I do not give a shit, all that stuff fails I can still sail good based on cockpit compasses and observing local wind and sea conditions.

You, Rimas, should not be concerned with mast telemetry.

I've met fellow sailors that came by and observed Rimas is not talking about wiring, he's talking about the mast shrouds, forestay and backstay tension. Sorry Rimas, but you got to be on top of that, failures of standing rigging, the wires or fittings can fail resulting in catastrophic breakage. Beware, Rimas.

This one shows the spot where the previous photo I posted shows a compass next to the companionway.

13151941_587057161453187_564046723818432

The electrical plug us there and something else but it's not the compass.

Outstanding job furling the flag. I guess.

That's a mounting bracket for the compass.

Check out the globs of caulk around the stanchion base. 😳

If they're leaking, it won't be long till the deck is rotted...I think it's a plywood core on that boat. He'll be abandoning the boat in Samoa again, if he makes it.

Personally, my mast has several dozen wires in it, VHF masthead COAX (a fat sucker), two sets of anemometer cables to two different transducers and readouts, 4 wire Telcor apparent wind sensor, Windex illumination, 9 amp deck lighting at the spreaders, steaming light, anchor light, and masthead strobe light, I know it's slow for 40lbs DC of wire in the mast, but I do not give a shit, all that stuff fails I can still sail good based on cockpit compasses and observing local wind and sea conditions.

I've met fellow sailors that came by and observed Rimas is not talking about wiring, he's talking about the mast shrouds, forestay and backstay tension. Sorry Rimas, but you got to be on top of that, failures of standing rigging, the wires or fittings can fail resulting in catastrophic breakage. Beware, Rimas.

That boat is old enough that it probably doesn't have rope halyards. The "wire inside" are probably old fish hooked wire ropes that sawed through the sheaves at the masthead, jamming them. His $600 SS checks won't cover the cordage, much less new sheaves and shackles...

I donated $5!

attachicon.gifplug.jpg

Seriously, it's painless and if we all donated $5 he'd be able to continue, maybe even buy and fund a DeLorme. I've already got $30 into his odyssey, two phone calls to American Samoa which were moderately amusing.

Send me some cash too, will ya? I've got a kid in college AND I'm on an odyssey.

I donated $5!

attachicon.gifplug.jpg

Send me some cash too, will ya? I've got a kid in college AND I'm on an odyssey.

I looked at it as 6% tax on my internet bill to pay for content. If somebody finds a donation box for Hawaii county fire department, I'll even the score in hope of good karma.

13177502_587057234786513_834795189274618

I'm taking notes and learning sail handling from the blue water admiral!

On another note, when I bought my first sailboat the broker told me if I didn't keep my compass covered it could be clouded by the sun. After 20 years of exposure it hadn't been affected, so maybe my broker was incorrect. I was thinking that Rimas might be protecting the compass, but then I thought he might have another bracket inside that he moves it to when he is inside, since the thought of Rimas taking care of something is just crazy.

fuck off. we don't need more enablers for this idiot.

you post this like rimass comes here and reads this thread.

he's got you fooled on more than one front.

I'd bet a 5 he means halyard not electrical wire.

It's a pretty awesome that a guy who sheets on the wrong side has crossed oceans. You'd think he'd read at least one book or do one lesson.

I used to think sailing to Hawaii would necessarily be an epic undertaking.

It seems it can be easily fucktardable.

I once read The Cruise of the Snark by London. I never guessed the cruise could have been done by a derelict hulk. London wrote better.

That's some of the first media coverage I've see that has actually mentioned that maybe he's an idiot that shouldn't be doing this.

Usually you see puff pieces talking about his dreams and dubious achievements.

By the way, the group of photos that included the awesome jibber-hauler or whatever that was did have a caption:

2016 March, 28 This voyage across the North Pacific is, my personal freedom and I took full responsibility one hundred percent. Not good enough food and waterI have risked my life death.

Someone should suggest to the CG that they send a few boys over to drop the rig for Rimas. He'll never get it back up, this sparing the CG/FD from future courtesy tows.

why would Rimass even need a rig?

It is a good source for stuff that needs caulking :mellow: Other than that - I wouldn't know

To hang the mahi from.