Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

I thought I had seen it all... Tattered flags I get, but completely ripped off?? WTF, it is at deck level and appears to be on the only usable halyard..... if you were someone shouting about king and country, wouldn't you take it down once you saw that it was getting shredded <_< ?? WOW

Meanwhile, over on FB, "Our Hero" posts pics of his preparations to set out to sea again.

May 11 , 2016 working on my boat, My dream to preparing for next voyage to the South Pacific islands.

13177644_588958694596367_838509459792496

13220919_588958754596361_384133636652347

13226770_588958794596357_663165434129712

And apparently is offering tours down below on his fine vessel.

13230114_588958901263013_769935360411265

That last one reminds me of the silence of the lambs.....

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

I thought I had seen it all... Tattered flags I get, but completely ripped off?? WTF, it is at deck level and appears to be on the only usable halyard..... if you were someone shouting about king and country, wouldn't you take it down once you saw that it was getting shredded <_< ?? WOW

Why would he take it down? Nobody has given him a new one yet.

Say, is that a propane bottle on the V-berth floor in the background of the last photo ?

Jean also seems to keep spare propane tanks in the V-berth and Rimas boats are set up by Jean.

You wouldn't want an unsightly propane bottle in the cockpit after all.

So Rimas says a good samaritan is working on his motor so he can move to a mooring in a few days as he is being charged $14 per day at the dock. It looks like they also brought him a new battery to run down and a decorative ladder that doesn't reach the top of the mast, but is excellent for Rimas knotting practice.

I'll be curious if the motors only ill is an empty fuel tank, or an empty tank and a clogged filter. Plus the barnacle covered prop.

13230114_588958901263013_769935360411265

That guy's face says it all! lol.gif

"What the fuck is that SMELL?!?!"

and

"How do I get my daughter out of here before she catches some weird-ass disease?"

Classy touches:

• Mold everywhere on that headliner.
  • Thrift-Store carpet sample in the forepeak.

So Rimas says a good samaritan is working on his motor so he can move to a mooring in a few days as he is being charged $14 per day at the dock. It looks like they also brought him a new battery to run down and a decorative ladder that doesn't reach the top of the mast, but is excellent for Rimas knotting practice.

I'll be curious if the motors only ill is an empty fuel tank, or an empty tank and a clogged filter. Plus the barnacle covered prop.

$14/ft per day.

$14/ft per day.

$14 x 30' = $420 per day? Can't be true. Sounds like he's at a transient dock similar to the ones in the CONUS; $14/day first come first served, and a 10 day limit. It's called the "Police Dock" around here :).

Rimas ran his diesel (at idle) for hours at a time when anchored in Richardson Bay (rolly enough to stir up tank sediment), God knows why. It sounded good. So unless it was sucking massive oil and ran low and seized it should be a simple no fuel no battery situation.

$14/ft per day.

I doubt anyone could afford $420 per day, or $12600 per month. I think it's $14 per day for his 30 foot boat, which is still steep for him.

You've got to give credit to Ron Rawson. He built a hell of a boat. Mimsy appears to be a totally bone stock boat that hasn't had more than a few hundred dollars in upgrades. Ever.

And he rimased it all way to paradise. Screw the ultra luxurious.

For those interested,

There's still many others just like it around the puget sound.

You've got to give credit to Ron Rawson. He built a hell of a boat. Mimsy appears to be a totally bone stock boat that hasn't had more than a few hundred dollars in upgrades. Ever.

For those interested,

Yep. The SJ24s are bay sailors that amazingly didn't kill Rimas on his earlier voyages. The Rawson 30, even poorly maintained, is a blue water boat. I think Rimas realizes that and is actually fixing big problems so his South Pacific transit will be less stressful. He's on a fuse because every day is $14 more until he gets a dinghy and good anchorage in Hawaii. Not likely, the man will be moving on soon.

F**k! I donate $5 of my hard earned money to Rimas's Fundly, and 3 days later only one fool donates $1 in spite?

attachicon.gifdonations.gif

Come on acolytes, if we all donated $5 for each post x 13,000 posts, Rimas would get $65,000 to fix his boat up good, and plenty of dough for dock fees, provisioning, new sails and halyards, actually hiring a woman to be with him beyond a selfie, more StarBuck' latte's, yada-yada.

What is wrong with you people? Enough money and Rimas could be doing Sat-C comms, live updates instead of the lame Delorme messages.

All new heavy weather sails instead of the Light #1s he's ripped up when it's blowing 30kn., rigging beefed up, an actual engine, real autopilot,

tons of Idaho deuterated potatoes; battery backup, the guy needs a lot of stuff and there's ongoing expenses.

The man's a press hero worldwide. Donate, even a little. Every little bit helps

Why would you give him 1 penny? He's a clueless moron. Fun to watch in a train wreck sort of way and good for found poetry-- but seriously- nobody. . and I mean NOBODY should encourage this man to leave a dock again.

no ones saying give him money what i and a few others are saying is we will pay for a tracker and the subscription so we can follow his drifting. couchtater said Shannon plans on giving him one before he sets a drift and i hope he is correct. I'm half ready to fly out there myself and make sure this happens if no one else is in the islands to make the delivery

F**k! I donate $5 of my hard earned money to Rimas's Fundly, and 3 days later only one fool donates $1 in spite?

Come on acolytes, if we all donated $5 for each post x 13,000 posts, Rimas would get $65,000 to fix his boat up good, and plenty of dough for dock fees, provisioning, new sails and halyards, actually hiring a woman to be with him beyond a selfie, more StarBuck' latte's, yada-yada.

What is wrong with you people? Enough money and Rimas could be doing Sat-C comms, live updates instead of the lame Delorme messages.

All new heavy weather sails instead of the Light #1s he's ripped up when it's blowing 30kn., rigging beefed up, an actual engine, real autopilot,

tons of Idaho deuterated potatoes; battery backup, the guy needs a lot of stuff and there's ongoing expenses.

Why would you give him 1 penny? He's a clueless moron. Fun to watch in a train wreck sort of way and good for found poetry-- but seriously- nobody. . and I mean NOBODY should encourage this man to leave a dock again.

no ones saying give him money what i and a few others are saying is we will pay for a tracker and the subscription so we can follow his drifting

Sorry, then you are saying you'll give him money for the tracker but nothing more?l It will be hard to separate the tracker money from the Idaho Potatoes money, fixit dough, etc. Rimas is running a beggarware operation and you cannot target your contributions.

$14/ft per day.

I doubt anyone could afford $420 per day, or $12600 per month. I think it's $14 per day for his 30 foot boat, which is still steep for him.

$14 sounded too cheap for Hawaii, but you are probably right. $420 per day does sound crazy even for Hawaii.

Jean also seems to be the inventor of the "CON-FERR Rack" for sailboats. Stores his cooler and other bulky things way high above the transom. Great for downwind speed. Seen them on a couple of his boats.

untitled.jpg

That's an American thing - they do the same with eskies on the back of 4b's.

Meanwhile, over on FB, "Our Hero" posts pics of his preparations to set out to sea again.

13226770_588958794596357_663165434129712

Rimas will put the ladder to good use hangin mahi from the spreader, anchoring a few feet from the dock to avoid charges and using the ladder as a boarding ramp. Yes, he will find many uses for it, maybe even as a sea anchor

Extinction ladder.

13174168_588958827929687_902234074836968

i guess the jib/genny halyard has jumped a sheave?

What's he gonna do when a ship comes in and needs to tie up to the wharf?

How, exactly, would a ship get there? squintes6.gif

wheres_rimas_2015_05-11.jpg

My bad.

I thought he was on the pier at Radio Bay.

I have a Catalina 30 Jib i could send his way. Anybody on site that could get it to him?

Maybe give it to somebody needy that can actually sail?

That sounds much more boring.

I used to think sailing to Hawaii would necessarily be an epic undertaking.

It seems it can be easily fucktardable.

This is a major reason Rimas annoys Iron Men on Plastic Boats. He's somewhat like Chaplin's Tramp -- a little innocent, a little cunning, allergic to labor, buffeted between success and failure yet placidly accepting of either. Maybe not able to discern the difference? Such naifs have a long tradition in French or Russian situational comedy; also cartoons, where a blithe spirit (Tweety, or Roadrunner, or any crawling baby) is chased by an intensely goal-focused & driven one (Sylvester, Wiley, Roger Rabbit): guess who gets mashed by a random falling piano? Never the clueless one. It's the striver
, while the innocent finds bliss without trying.

Rimas makes a lot more sense in Buddhist philosophy than he does to Western Protestants. ;)

This is, hands down, one of the most intelligent posts made in all the useless drivel (including mine) that all the gawkers/stalkers here have written about Rimas. (And I recall another very culturally insightful post much earlier by CloveHitch, I think, that looked at parallels between Rimas and a certain ne'er-do-well character type in Russian literature (with whose Zeitgeist he is obviously more closely linked, culturally).

The classic Japanese novel and film "Rashomon" explains this phenomenon well - in the case of a murder, there are very many versions and perspectives on "the truth".

Rimas cannot be explained through the lense of the typical Sailing Anarchy Protestant (culturally, even if not religious) white guy sailor's mind, especially North Americans, for whom being a weekend warrior (Iron Men on Plastic Boats, as you so eloquently put it!) is a virtuous thing to strive for. Rimas blows all of that out of the water with his own completely different set of values and expectations. He doesn't give a damn about any of us, and it pisses us off, to the point that we carry on a public conversation about him on a website for thousands of posts over several years.

Rimas cannot be "understood", no matter how many infuriated "I can't believe it" posts RKoch, CaptainBligh, axolotl, Somebody Else, bfloyd4445 et al. make. Rimas will drift on, likely end up in grief at some point, and you will still not be able to fit him into your white Anglo-Saxon/Protestant male sailor mental-cultural frame of reference.

It all reminds me of the very old Japanese haiku (poem) by the Buddhist monk Matsuo Basho, which will be lost on the cultural philistines and knuckle-draggers here.

furuike ya

kawazu tobikomu

mizu no oto

Many would think Rimas is the "frog". He is not. He is the sound - perhaps - heard, and then not (what is the sound of one hand clapping? - if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? And so on.

The Tao of Rimas. :-)

post-11970-0-49195300-1463154734_thumb.jpeg

Hitting the pipe a bit early eh.

Oh, go caulk your jib, Varan. Just having a bit of fun other than the typical, vacuous, "Oh my GOD...just look at what Rimas is doing NOW!!!!" panties-in-a-knot-hissy-fit screaming that seems to pass for engaging internet forum postings here.

Doesn't take much for Rimas, a crazy old Russian dude, to rile up Iron Men In Plastic Boats. :-)

For those interested,

Do they come with a Jean or Shannon?

For those interested,

I call bullshit. If they are such good boats why did Rawson put the propane storage under the v-berth? ?

For those interested,

I call bullshit. If they are such good boats why did Rawson put the propane storage under the v-berth? ?

....if yer thought smoking after sex is good,, wait till you try smoking after sex in the v-birth of a Rawson 30 :rolleyes:

This is a major reason Rimas annoys Iron Men on Plastic Boats. He's somewhat like Chaplin's Tramp -- a little innocent, a little cunning, allergic to labor, buffeted between success and failure yet placidly accepting of either. Maybe not able to discern the difference? Such naifs have a long tradition in French or Russian situational comedy; also cartoons, where a blithe spirit (Tweety, or Roadrunner, or any crawling baby) is chased by an intensely goal-focused & driven one (Sylvester, Wiley, Roger Rabbit): guess who gets mashed by a random falling piano? Never the clueless one. It's the striver

Rimas makes a lot more sense in Buddhist philosophy than he does to Western Protestants. ;)

This is, hands down, one of the most intelligent posts made in all the useless drivel (including mine) that all the gawkers/stalkers here have written about Rimas. (And I recall another very culturally insightful post much earlier by CloveHitch, I think, that looked at parallels between Rimas and a certain ne'er-do-well character type in Russian literature (with whose Zeitgeist he is obviously more closely linked, culturally).

The classic Japanese novel and film "Rashomon" explains this phenomenon well - in the case of a murder, there are very many versions and perspectives on "the truth".

Rimas cannot be explained through the lense of the typical Sailing Anarchy Protestant (culturally, even if not religious) white guy sailor's mind, especially North Americans, for whom being a weekend warrior (Iron Men on Plastic Boats, as you so eloquently put it!) is a virtuous thing to strive for. Rimas blows all of that out of the water with his own completely different set of values and expectations. He doesn't give a damn about any of us, and it pisses us off, to the point that we carry on a public conversation about him on a website for thousands of posts over several years.

Rimas cannot be "understood", no matter how many infuriated "I can't believe it" posts RKoch, CaptainBligh, axolotl, Somebody Else, bfloyd4445 et al. make. Rimas will drift on, likely end up in grief at some point, and you will still not be able to fit him into your white Anglo-Saxon/Protestant male sailor mental-cultural frame of reference.

It all reminds me of the very old Japanese haiku (poem) by the Buddhist monk Matsuo Basho, which will be lost on the cultural philistines and knuckle-draggers here.

furuike ya

kawazu tobikomu

mizu no oto

Many would think Rimas is the "frog". He is not. He is the sound - perhaps - heard, and then not (what is the sound of one hand clapping? - if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? And so on.

The pathless way of Rimas! I like. Perhaps Taoism as much as Buddhism?

Those who know, do not speak.

Those who speak, do not know.

Close your mouth.

Shut the gates.

Be soft.

Untangle your knots.

Soften your brilliance.

Become one with the dust.

The brilliance cannot get much softer, but the knots need some work.

[Rimas is] somewhat like Chaplin's Tramp -- a little innocent, a little cunning, allergic to labor, buffeted between success and failure yet placidly accepting of either. Maybe not able to discern the difference? Such naifs have a long tradition in French or Russian situational comedy; also cartoons, where a blithe spirit (Tweety, or Roadrunner, or any crawling baby) is chased by an intensely goal-focused & driven one (Sylvester, Wiley, Roger Rabbit): guess who gets mashed by a random falling piano? Never the clueless one. It's the striver that takes the hits, while the innocent finds bliss without trying.

This resonates with me.

Heaven knows I've skated through some perilous adventures with the same combination of luck and naivety.

I think the one event which changed my perspective on that sort of behavior was reading Jon Krakauer's book "Into the Wild".

I worry for the times when any adventurer gets caught out and the last fearful thoughts drifting through their head being, "How did this happen?" "Is this how it ends?" We can agonize over RImas's utter lack of preparation yet countless mariners with vastly more experience and preparation than Rimas have perished beneath the waves. I have been lucky that I have survived many such moments. So I can't really criticize Rimas's motives or even behavior.

But having crossed a few oceans, experienced some real weather, read up about it in an attempt to be as informed as possible, I have direct experience about how even minimal preparation and knowledge can greatly skew the odds in favor of survival. How many times have I been shown a better way to do something and exclaimed, "Of course! Thanks for showing me that!" Any frustration I direct toward Rimas comes from his refusal -- out-and-out refusal -- to learn or be taught and his utter lack of gratefulness and true thanks toward the countless people who have tried to help him safely along his path.

Any frustration I direct toward Rimas comes from his refusal -- out-and-out refusal -- to learn or be taught and his utter lack of gratefulness and true thanks toward the countless people who have tried to help him safely along his path.

That sums it up very well. You should paste that onto his FB site where the sycophants see him as some sort of anti-establishment freedom fighter.

Any frustration I direct toward Rimas comes from his refusal -- out-and-out refusal -- to learn or be taught and his utter lack of gratefulness and true thanks toward the countless people who have tried to help him safely along his path.

That sums it up very well. You should paste that onto his FB site where the sycophants see him as some sort of anti-establishment freedom fighter.

I'm banned from even seeing Rimas's FB page. It must have been something I said. sadbanana.gif

I could post it up there for you, but I don't want my dog to get unfriended. (I got booted for calling Rimas a liar. Told him he was insulting all those who have actually done what he only says he is doing. Haven't heard much from him about record making since. So, guess it was worth it.)

Propane was one of the few hundred dollars additional after build. I bet there was originally an alcohol stove, maybe kerosene.

A few hundred dollars? Nay my friend. My 40 year old FG sailboat came with a pressurized alcohol system and I considered switching to propane but am still sticking with alcohol because of conversion costs.

• New stove, a good one with an oven. $1000 to $2000.
  • Glassing in a structural isolated airtight tank storage bay that's deck locker accessible, with an overboard drain hole in the bottom. Quoted $1500, do it yourself looked like a big hassle,
  • Installing a solenoid shutoff valve at the tank, ($100-$200) with the control wires accessing the main power distribution panel, panel switch and armed light near the stove. It draws roughly 1.25amps (12v) so if you don't turn it off after dinner it'll suck up 12 amps overnight. (Wiring, control panel, another $200-$300).
  • The hose must be continuous from the locker to the stove, high quality, and supported properly, with chafe protection at bulkhead penetrations. ($200-$500 mostly labor).

That's $4,500 brother. Approaching 10% of my boat's value.

Alcohol is OK for me; it'll slowly cook a pizza or a 3 pound Stouffer's macaroni and cheese dinner for the crew (their 7 serving meatloaf is also good), but not a chuck roast or whole chicken. The stovetop 3 burners boil water fairly fast and you can simmer stuff. But I mostly use a microwave when at dock with electrical power. Other than that, there's lots of good food that doesn't require refrigeration or heating.

Pressurized stored gases are dangerous yes, but even alcohol can become dangerous. I had the hose from the tank fail and I forgot to close the tank valve, then left for a few hours (time with my girlfriend at the Jacuzzi). Returned the boat to see the cabin sole awash in alcohol, shut off the electrics and sopped it up with sponges then squeezed them overboard. Not too dangerous compared to an invisible gas slowly filling up your hull.

So Rimas's loose cannon propane tank in the forepeak is negligible; if the tank valve is firmly closed the tank can survive automobile wrecks. His operational tank is above deck, safe, but the delivery hoses in his scenario could kill him. We shall see.

furuike ya

kawazu tobikomu

mizu no oto

:) white Anglo-Saxon/Protestant male sailor mental-cultural frame of reference cultural philistines and knuckle-draggers here., .Hummm,

My point being that our forum posters come from all over the world accrss many cultures with frames of reference different but sharing a common passion, sailing,which may make them similar in your eyes. I don't believe any of us are knuckle dragging and certainly not cultural philistines. Philistines refers to people in the bible from the middle east which anthropologists tell us was the birthplace of human civilization and the beginning of culture.

Sseems to me recent analysis of human genes has confirmed that we are all the same unless you are of pure African decent then you will be missing the Neanderthal genes which the rest of us have even pure native Americans. The term Anglo refers to a specific tribe in a specific geographical area which is very different from their Saxon neighbors. Either may or may not be protestant and do not necessarily like each other. My first lesson in prejudice happened in England in 1974 when I was warned that I must be careful and not go any place without an escort cause the people in that part of England could not be trusted cause they were Welsh. They looked the same to me.

The Angles and Saxons were very different Germanic tribes often at war with one and other both of whom invaded the British Isles. The welsh people were the original indigenous humans of the British islands who were pushed into the western portion of England by the Celts, Angles and Saxons.

:rolleyes:

Propane was one of the few hundred dollars additional after build. I bet there was originally an alcohol stove, maybe kerosene.

A few hundred dollars? Nay my friend. My 40 year old FG sailboat came with a pressurized alcohol system and I considered switching to propane but am still sticking with alcohol because of conversion costs.
  • Glassing in a structural isolated airtight tank storage bay that's deck locker accessible, with an overboard drain hole in the bottom. Quoted $1500, do it yourself looked like a big hassle,
  • Installing a solenoid shutoff valve at the tank, ($100-$200) with the control wires accessing the main power distribution panel, panel switch and armed light near the stove. It draws roughly 1.25amps (12v) so if you don't turn it off after dinner it'll suck up 12 amps overnight. (Wiring, control panel, another $200-$300).
  • The hose must be continuous from the locker to the stove, high quality, and supported properly, with chafe protection at bulkhead penetrations. ($200-$500 mostly labor).

Alcohol is OK for me; it'll slowly cook a pizza or a 3 pound Stouffer's macaroni and cheese dinner for the crew (their 7 serving meatloaf is also good), but not a chuck roast or whole chicken. The stovetop 3 burners boil water fairly fast and you can simmer stuff. But I mostly use a microwave when at dock with electrical power. Other than that, there's lots of good food that doesn't require refrigeration or heating.

Pressurized stored gases are dangerous yes, but even alcohol can become dangerous. I had the hose from the tank fail and I forgot to close the tank valve, then left for a few hours (time with my girlfriend at the Jacuzzi). Returned the boat to see the cabin sole awash in alcohol, shut off the electrics and sopped it up with sponges then squeezed them overboard. Not too dangerous compared to an invisible gas slowly filling up your hull.

So Rimas's loose cannon propane tank in the forepeak is negligible; if the tank valve is firmly closed the tank can survive automobile wrecks. His operational tank is above deck, safe, but the delivery hoses in his scenario could kill him. We shall see.

Okay, maybe more than a few hundred, but I'm guessing not a fancy stove, no solinoid shutoff,no vented external tank storage etc.

Things were a lot simpler back then.

Back in the 60s we had a propane torch size bottle start leaking on our T bird when we were motoring to Port Townsend, Dad threw it over the side. As I said, things were a lot simpler back then.

http://www.dailyastorian.com/ear/20160513/in-one-ear-living-the-dream

"A few years ago, a Russian immigrant in his 60s with iffy sailing/navigational skills, Rimas Meleshyus (pictured), stopped in Astoria on his way to complete what appeared to be a suicidal solo sail around the world in a 24-foot San Juan sailboat.

While traditional sailing skills still seem to elude him, Rimas has crossed the Pacific a few times and has become a master of the Kon-Tiki sailing style — named after Thor Heyerdahl’s raft and its historic expedition — which essentially relies on drifting. On his last around-the-world attempt he drifted past Hawaii, and was towed in to American Samoa. He sold his boat there to buy airfare back to the U.S., arriving all but penniless.

But Rimas is also a master at bouncing back. He stayed with friends in the Astoria area for a while before heading back to California, where, miraculously, someone gave him a 30-foot sailboat. Soon after, to the dismay of many, Rimas unexpectedly set sail again without warning and unprepared. He simply disappeared. His many Facebook (www.facebook.com/rimas.meleshyus) followers agonized and scolded him, but there was no reply.

As skilled at drifting as Rimas has become … landing, not so much. After 46 days at sea, he was rescued off the coast of Hawaii, and towed to Hilo. Despite having no food or water for three days, he was in remarkably good shape. He’ll stay in the South Pacific for several months, getting his boat ship-shape and stocking up properly to continue his trip around the world. Want to contribute? Go to http://tinyurl.com/help4rimas

No matter what people think of his sailing abilities, it’s pretty hard not to admire his resolute determination to live his dream. “Since I left Soviet Union, I never back again,” Rimas wrote on his Facebook page recently. “My dream to sail around the world is huge. That’s why I love America of freedom.” May he have fair winds, following seas and a friendly tow at the other end."

Well that's just silly to spend that much. You can get an old stove from a marine consignment shop a and maybe even your hoses and regulator . 20Lb propane tanks from Home Depot are what? $20 $25? Ad another five or ten bucks for bungee cords and off you guy. Instant propane conversion.

Flare fittings? Bulkheads? Ventilation? A Jedi craves not these things.

Solenoid at the tank? Electric stuff sparking in the new,glassed in box where the propane tank lives? Seems explosive. You sure you don't want to just go out there, lift the lid, and turn off the tank by hand?

^^this!

On my Erison 27 I removed my two burner alcohol stove fastened one of these in its place but kept the tray with the rail that the pot holders clamp to...perfect setup for what my needs were.

Can someone please give me a reader's digest version of the connection between Jean and Rimas and why Jean is hell bent on enabling this fruitcake?

Rimas did something very bad to Jean many years ago and Jean has been concocting hare-brained schemes to off him ever since.

But much like Wile E Coyote's schemes, they never quite work.

Does anyone else think that the mysterious stowaway how did the occasional seamanlike thing to Mimsy for Rimas might somehow be lilmurray?

Does anyone else think that the mysterious stowaway how did the occasional seamanlike thing to Mimsy for Rimas might somehow be lilmurray?

I'm in.

Reemass must have pitched him overboard before he called for a tow into Hilo. So the mystery of where's Lilmurry continues.

I'm in.

Reemass must have pitched him overboard before he called for a tow into Hilo. So the mystery of where's Lilmurry continues.

That could also explain why Rimas' food and water supplies were half of expected. Lilmurray must have been hiding in the basement.

no ones saying give him money what i and a few others are saying is we will pay for a tracker and the subscription so we can follow his drifting

Sorry, then you are saying you'll give him money for the tracker but nothing more?l It will be hard to separate the tracker money from the Idaho Potatoes money, fixit dough, etc. Rimas is running a beggarware operation and you cannot target your contributions.

No, i think the idea was to buy him a tracker with a subscription to be delivered by a one of us.

I'm in.

That could also explain why Rimas' food and water supplies were half of expected. Lilmurray must have been hiding in the basement.

Seems odd to me he made such a fast voyage without help. The two possibilities I see are, 1) that he had a stowaway that knew how to sail. 2) he did have a tracking device and someone was coaching him from land. Number two isn't likely cause he has had coach's in the past via delorme and i think phone but never made any effort to do what was suggested. I don't think he can understand even the most basic of navigation terms.

Can someone please give me a reader's digest version of the connection between Jean and Rimas and why Jean is hell bent on enabling this fruitcake?

Rimas did something very bad to Jean many years ago and Jean has been concocting hare-brained schemes to off him ever since.

Whose Lilmurray?

I'm in.

You don't think a stowaways could have jumped ship? But even if they didn't would we know there had been two of them unless rimas said so? He would wish to keep his reputation and image intact I'm sure.

But your right, no option seems to make sense.........Could there have been another vessel involved? ....Sailors often team up when going in the same general direction

Solenoid at the tank? Electric stuff sparking in the new,glassed in box where the propane tank lives? Seems explosive. You sure you don't want to just go out there, lift the lid, and turn off the tank by hand?

You know what's really fun? If you put propane sniffer/sensors where they belong, i.e. low in the bilge where propane settles, you'll discover that water also happens, by virtue of gravity, to inhabit the same space. Guess what? Salt water will trigger the sensor to shut of your solenoid pretty much PERMANENTLY. Even if you disconnect the sensors from the propane panel, there is some kind of malicious memory hell bent on preventing you from a) blowing yourself up, and B) eating hot food.

If you don't have a young starving person on board, you'll likely just live on beef jerky. If you're lucky though, you will have a young starving guy on board who will figure out a way to circumvent the solenoid, allowing the stove to function...though you will want to be kind of careful with open flames.

I'm in.

You don't think a stowaways could have jumped ship? But even if they didn't would we know there had been two of them unless rimas said so? He would wish to keep his reputation and image intact I'm sure.

But your right, no option seems to make sense.........Could there have been another vessel involved? ....Sailors often team up when going in the same general direction

I think he ate em.

I'm in.

Not worry so muchabout me everybody, please. Stowaway only tunafish mahi I catched deep water sailing to Hawaii! Not another vessel help me. Like I showed in picture with fish on the boat. I will to sail from Hawaii but not too soon. I hope boat to get ready for ocean lots of work me to do but I am making my boat ready many times soon newspaper story about me in Hawaii and my sailing trip.Very beautiful place.

You know what's really fun? If you put propane sniffer/sensors where they belong, i.e. low in the bilge where propane settles, you'll discover that water also happens, by virtue of gravity, to inhabit the same space. Guess what? Salt water will trigger the sensor to shut of your solenoid pretty much PERMANENTLY. Even if you disconnect the sensors from the propane panel, there is some kind of malicious memory hell bent on preventing you from a) blowing yourself up, and B) eating hot food.

This is why we converted over to CNG.

Whose Lilmurray?

Ours, of course! Is there some other one?

Mimsy, secure at the dock, gently caressing a concrete post during rig maintenance involving a ladder on the foredeck.

I reckon Jean forgot to provide a bosun's chair and instructions as to it's usefullness???

Mimsy, secure at the dock, gently caressing a concrete post during rig maintenance involving a ladder on the foredeck.

Notes:

He got the jib down. No furler line on drum. The anchor Jeam gave him is on foredeck, appears to be about a 13# Danforth. Chain attached, idk how much. He's got 5 fenders over the side, but none on the piling. Several feet of caprail missing, no sign of bow chocks. Rust stains appearing on topsides forward.

I reckon Jean forgot to provide a bosun's chair and instructions as to it's usefullness???

I don't know if he has any working halyards.

I believe our hero had a lot of help before departure. a lot. hence the perplexing organization, cleanilness, and knot tieing in some photos. Our hero returned his boat to state we have all come to expect only slowly during the voyage.

The dockside photos suggest a rapid return to our Heros creatively. there is somuch in the latest photo. It's worthy of careful study like a screwball comedy from the 1930s. Some clever young academic could make Tenured Professor easily with Rimas a and his Boats as the subject.

Wonder what jokester lent him that ladder ? There is so much richness of invention, of plain childish stupidity, danger, and foolish incompetance just in the ladder. The ladder is worthy of at least a 5,000 word paper at the next phenomenology conference in Cambridge. Think of the brow furrowing question & answer session ?

I wonder how long the ladder will remain in the spiderweb of knots. I see the sail has been taken down, so someone used the ladder.

Last night Rimas posted another photo dump which indicates he has been touring the area and has been to Costco. No word on Buttery Danish cookies.

Brought that up 5 pages ago... He lives!!!!!! :D

I'm in.

Not worry so muchabout me everybody, please. Stowaway only tunafish mahi I catched deep water sailing to Hawaii! Not another vessel help me. Like I showed in picture with fish on the boat. I will to sail from Hawaii but not too soon. I hope boat to get ready for ocean lots of work me to do but I am making my boat ready many times soon newspaper story about me in Hawaii and my sailing trip.Very beautiful place.

Please post a link to the newspaper article so we can read about your latest record breaking voyage. You surprised everyone with your skill in finding Hilo such a tiny little spec in the vast Pacific Ocean in such a short time. God bless you and all the fisty pranksters, others subscribed to this thread, and keep them safe

Ladder waiting for someone to climb it. Still no luck.

lol.gif Such perfect commentary! lol.gif

of course someone will....geezz..... :rolleyes:

Notes:

He got the jib down. No furler line on drum. The anchor Jeam gave him is on foredeck, appears to be about a 13# Danforth. Chain attached, idk how much. He's got 5 fenders over the side, but none on the piling. Several feet of caprail missing, no sign of bow chocks. Rust stains appearing on topsides forward.

I don't know if he has any working halyards.

someone fb friendly please post the pix here? Thank you