• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

...I like this thread...too funny all the onshore non sailing mofos all jealous of this Rhimas guy...

This guy almost as cool as fictional Capt Ron...

Why do so many halfwitted n00bs have this take on Rimas vs. the rest of us?

Do some research on Captain Ineptune, and maybe on some of the posters here, and get back to us.

Also, maybe get back with some of your own blue water creds, because you're so busy casting aspersions here you obviously must have a bajillion off shore miles yourself.

Most with blue water experience recognize the appalling folly of the brand of bullshit that Rimas is peddling. Most without off shore experience - like his Facebook groupies - think he's some sort of awesome hero. Just sayin'...

Wow. I didn't know davits could grow back. But either it grew back or Rimas worked on it, so I'm going with "it grew back" as the more likely scenario.

13490612_898791757101_259411825446601855

Look at the picture. Likely the davits were installed by those in the picture and the pix was taken to commemorate the event. Now it is possible Anchorman helped. I know other boat owners that pay someone to do everything for them but as a general rule i would say most boat owners would do simple jobs such as this by themselves, i would. That said rimas has never in the past as far as I know demonstrated any inclination to do any form of manual labor no matter how necessary it was for survival at sea always leaving the job for others.

So, i must conclude that you are correct, it grew back and the pix was simple one to please local tourists that wished to meet the famous Anchorman and his trusty steed, Mimsy

...I like this thread...too funny all the onshore non sailing mofos all jealous of this Rhimas guy...

This guy almost as cool as fictional Capt Ron...

Why do so many halfwitted n00bs have this take on Rimas vs. the rest of us?

Do some research on Captain Ineptune, and maybe on some of the posters here, and get back to us.

Also, maybe get back with some of your own blue water creds, because you're so busy casting aspersions here you obviously must have a bajillion off shore miles yourself.

Most with blue water experience recognize the appalling folly of the brand of bullshit that Rimas is peddling. Most without off shore experience - like his Facebook groupies - think he's some sort of awesome hero. Just sayin'...

well said B.J. Porter

Wow. I didn't know davits could grow back. But either it grew back or Rimas worked on it, so I'm going with "it grew back" as the more likely scenario.

Look at the picture. Likely the davits were installed by those in the picture and the pix was taken to commemorate the event. Now it is possible Anchorman helped. I know other boat owners that pay someone to do everything for them but as a general rule i would say most boat owners would do simple jobs such as this by themselves, i would. That said rimas has never in the past as far as I know demonstrated any inclination to do any form of manual labor no matter how necessary it was for survival at sea always leaving the job for others.

So, i must conclude that you are correct, it grew back and the pix was simple one to please local tourists that wished to meet the famous Anchorman and his trusty steed, Mimsy

What happened to the cap rail back there?

theres been chunks of caprail missing when he got the boat. I think that's why his anchor rode chafed. Perhaps additional damage in storm from davit and dinghy banging around. It's probably not going to get fixed.

Amazing what you can do with a tube of caulk...

I'd go with the theory that one or both of the people in the picture bolted the davit back on. Maybe they have a dinghy too?

I'd go with the theory that one or both of the people in the picture bolted the davit back on. Maybe they have a dinghy too?

Dink's Dead Baby.....

Dink's Dead

e8a556a01b19237d684357f5b2b0e6df.jpg

I think Rimas is holding the davit in place. It does not have the same spacing in from rail as the other davit, and his hand position is one of holding it up, not of supporting his weight.

I think Rimas is holding the davit in place. It does not have the same spacing in from rail as the other davit, and his hand position is one of holding it up, not of supporting his weight.

He's just holding it while the glue dries.

I thought it was the port side that fell off? Anyway, you guys are nuts if you think Rimas screwed or glued the davit on. With his skillset, it's nailed with shiney non-galvanized nails. And caulked generously around the edges after its nailed.

I like the matching blouses.. Oh oh, gotta go. Think I'm growing a davit....

He's just holding it while the glue dries.

Don't you mean caulking dries? To use glue would be adding to his known skill set

I thought it was the port side that fell off? Anyway, you guys are nuts if you think Rimas screwed or glued the davit on. With his skillset, it's nailed with shiney non-galvanized nails. And caulked generously around the edges after its nailed.

Yes, it was the port davit that fell off. Maybe he is afraid the stbd one will try to get away with his visitors.

I like the matching blouses.. Oh oh, gotta go. Think I'm growing a davit....
Is that a davit in your pocket, or are you just happy to see us?

Dear Sis,

While vacationing in Hilo, Dwayne and I ran into the crazy "sailor" we've all been reading about on FaceBook. He is a riot! He tells the same stories over and over. He says he speaks seven languages but apparently none of them are English. Having no teeth doesn't help. We're smiling for the photo-op but the stink coming from below was just awful and we got the hell off the boat immediately. There were cockroaches everywhere.

That blouse he's wearing sure looks familiar. Didn't you donate one like that to the SF Goodwill years ago? Oh yeah, the ladder. He said the ladder is useful to get a free wifi signal in port and at sea it helps him with some sort of tractor gizmo. Why he'd need a tractor in the ocean is beyond me. He proudly said he sails for America, and America sends him a check each month in return What a fruitcake! He suggested we "donate" ten dollars for the picture. Dwayne said not to but I slipped him a twenty anyway. He's so pathetic he's cute.

See ya soon.

Love,

Doreen/Dwayne

]As things quiet down on this megathread let us all ponder Rimas's announced departure by the end of July (only 30 days counters!). Things are looking good, pictures show the boat's cleaned (and slightly fixed) up, a DeLorme will(?) be on board for our titillation, Rimas has become much more realistic about his destination(s), not talking about Cape Horn much anymore, seems to be in good health (except for teeth). No sign of a female co-voyager yet, although Rimas has been trying hard on FaceBook.

His departure could be soon so I leave you all with one final eagle stare photo:

post-452-0-03377900-1467227790_thumb.jpg

BTW, he must either own many striped shirts or that one's getting funky.

Dear Sis,

While vacationing in Hilo, Dwayne and I ran into the crazy "sailor" we've all been reading about on FaceBook. He is a riot! He tells the same stories over and over. He says he speaks seven languages but apparently none of them are English. Having no teeth doesn't help. We're smiling for the photo-op but the stink coming from below was just awful and we got the hell off the boat immediately. There were cockroaches everywhere.

That blouse he's wearing sure looks familiar. Didn't you donate one like that to the SF Goodwill years ago? Oh yeah, the ladder. He said the ladder is useful to get a free wifi signal in port and at sea it helps him with some sort of tractor gizmo. Why he'd need a tractor in the ocean is beyond me. He proudly said he sails for America, and America sends him a check each month in return What a fruitcake! He suggested we "donate" ten dollars for the picture. Dwayne said not to but I slipped him a twenty anyway. He's so pathetic he's cute.

See ya soon.

Love,

Doreen/Dwayne

:D Thank you very much for the report.

Hey Blue Crab, as payment for the revealing report I will make sure there is a full six pack of ice cold beer in the crab pot. If you like your even invited to the crab feed afterwards, no taste for crab? We will have tons of live oysters also.....sis??..opps..you must be a lady; so if you like the beer can become a nice bottle of wine ?

]As things quiet down on this megathread let us all ponder Rimas's announced departure by the end of July (only 30 days counters!). Things are looking good, pictures show the boat's cleaned (and slightly fixed) up, a DeLorme will(?) be on board for our titillation, Rimas has become much more realistic about his destination(s), not talking about Cape Horn much anymore, seems to be in good health (except for teeth). No sign of a female co-voyager yet, although Rimas has been trying hard on FaceBook.

His departure could be soon so I leave you all with one final eagle stare photo:

attachicon.gif13528114_898791856901_8344326325438640180_o.jpg

But will we be able to see his track

Dear Sis,

See ya soon.

Love,

Doreen/Dwayne

Hey Blue Crab, as payment for the revealing report I will make sure there is a full six pack of ice cold beer in the crab pot. If you like your even invited to the crab feed afterwards, no taste for crab? We will have tons of live oysters also.....sis??..opps..you must be a lady; so if you like the beer can become a nice bottle of wine ?

Jesus Horatio Christ ... you are one dumb fucker, bfloyd. back on ignore.

attachicon.gif13528114_898791856901_8344326325438640180_o.jpg

Good to see his instruments are up and running.

That pegboard shit on the ceiling looks ready to fall down.

yeah I saw that too and was wondering what the hell we've got pegboard on the ceiling?

what the hell. Pegboard the ceiling.

Dear Sis,

See ya soon.

Love,

Doreen/Dwayne

Jesus Horatio Christ ... you are one dumb fucker, bfloyd. back on ignore.

What you don't like fresh crab? You know sometimes you have to try and sweeten the bait if the traditional one ain't doin the job. Thanks for confirming my suspicions

That pegboard shit on the ceiling looks ready to fall down.

yeah I saw that too and was wondering what the hell we've got pegboard on the ceiling?what the hell. Pegboard the ceiling.

Ceiling???

More realistic about his destination(s)?

From FB half an hour ago:

No pic.

"The expedition sailing solo around the world,this time I would like to do nonstop."

I was wondering when he says non stop around the world from Hawaii, does he mean he leaves Hilo in July and drifts around for a few months and calls for a tow in Pago Pago when he gets low on Danish butter cookies and coffee?

It's roughly 30,000 miles sailing distance around the world. Rimas averages about 1 1/2 knots, or 36 miles/day. Do the math....I don't think its possible to stow enough provisions on board for 800-900 days. Nor does Rimas have maintenance and seamanship skills for a boat to last that long under his care. He's just talking out his ass again.

It's roughly 30,000 miles sailing distance around the world. Rimas averages about 1 1/2 knots, or 36 miles/day. Do the math....I don't think its possible to stow enough provisions on board for 800-900 days. Nor does Rimas have maintenance and seamanship skills for a boat to last that long under his care. He's just talking out his ass again.

Sprouts and hard cheeeeez man.

Besides, a slow-moving reef will attract plenty of fish and he has shown that he can catch them. And then hang them in the sun for some reason.

Yeah, but didn't Reid Stowe stay out that long?

Yeah but Stowe had a supply of children to eat :o

Let's be fair, Stowe didn't lay in the supply of children he produced them while underway.

Sprouts and hard cheeeeez man.

Besides, a slow-moving reef will attract plenty of fish and he has shown that he can catch them. And then hang them in the sun for some reason.

It would be fun to have a pet dorado under your boat for a couple of months. You might be able to train it to jump for Cheetos.

• Downvote 1

I'm assuming that when Rimas means to sail around the world non-stop he means to circle the southern ocean somewhere north of Antarctica and sound of any large or moderate sized land masses.say in the 50's if he has been reading about Gipsy Moth or Joshua and then I think it's only about 15,0000nm, but he will die and not complete it.

He doesn't have any sails and no ability to reef. I think he will get to Pago Pago and then if the boat is still usable, he will push for New Zealand where his sister and free room and board await. I have questions about his ability to make it without buying a seat on an airplane.

I read through this entire thread and it's one of the things that brought me to this forum in the first place. In the early pages I was all for Rimas being a crazy old guy with enough balls to risk his ass (and no one else's) trying to cross oceans despite not knowing anything, just jumping in a boat and going.

I was all with him right up until it became clear that he refused any offers from his friends/enablers to teach him the basics of sailing. If you're going to spend weeks and months at sea it would seem that most people of average intelligence might want to spend some of that time learning and sharpening at least a few skills.

Among many things, the part I REALLY don't get is the enablers providing him with boats. I don't understand the motivation. Surely it would be at least somewhat responsible on their parts to not buy him a boat or pay for repairs unless he met their conditions of receiving instruction from them and demonstrating basic sailing ability to their satisfaction.

I don't understand what leverage he could possibly have where they'd feel compelled to buy him boats, and pay for repairs and sails etc., completely on his terms.

It feels like there's something important missing from the story we seem to know that would explain the motivations of Jean and company. Where things might make a LITTLE more sense.

I read through this entire thread and it's one of the things that brought me to this forum in the first place. In the early pages I was all for Rimas being a crazy old guy with enough balls to risk his ass (and no one else's) trying to cross oceans despite not knowing anything, just jumping in a boat and going.

I was all with him right up until it became clear that he refused any offers from his friends/enablers to teach him the basics of sailing. If you're going to spend weeks and months at sea it would seem that most people of average intelligence might want to spend some of that time learning and sharpening at least a few skills.

Among many things, the part I REALLY don't get is the enablers providing him with boats. I don't understand the motivation. Surely it would be at least somewhat responsible on their parts to not buy him a boat or pay for repairs unless he met their conditions of receiving instruction from them and demonstrating basic sailing ability to their satisfaction.

I don't understand what leverage he could possibly have where they'd feel compelled to buy him boats, and pay for repairs and sails etc., completely on his terms.

It feels like there's something important missing from the story we seem to know that would explain the motivations of Jean and company. Where things might make a LITTLE more sense.

Brick, Brick, Brick, oh man.... what to say...

This is NOT the place to hang out if you long for things to make sense.

However, I do have some helpful tips- if you nejoyed this thread you should see the 65ft catamaran/HotRod thread. -THAT- was a heck of a ride. I think there are more good threads coming, though. While we wait, anybody want to talk sailing?

FB- Doug

They have snaggle teeth.

That mabey, my teethe do notte difine me, a snaggle soulle is needid. IMHO. :)

OK. I wouldn't mind a pet dorado, and it was the best I could do on this thread. Your official position is the right one, I agree. By little dorado Rawson reef buddy.

• Downvote 1

In poeste 14632 I wille freeley staete foure alle to see, I do notte gifte a shitte abote thisse threade. Conselling mabey needid heare.

:)

how many posts per nautical mile is that?

.......Among many things, the part I REALLY don't get is the enablers providing him with boats. I don't understand the motivation. Surely it would be at least somewhat responsible on their parts to not buy him a boat or pay for repairs unless he met their conditions of receiving instruction from them and demonstrating basic sailing ability to their satisfaction.

...around when Rimas was gifted with his most recent fodder boat, there was mention that Jean does some business disposing of derelict boats. I'm not sure if he actually made money providing Rimas the boat, but it at least saved him some effort.

... didn't Reid Stowe stay out that long?

Yes, but they approached their individual endeavors from fundimentally opposite directions:

Reid didn't care how far he sailed or even where; he was interested in a fixed period of time and could thus plan on exactly how to get water and stay fed during that finite 1,000 days.

Rimas has no idea how long it will take but he is interested in a goal of [rough] distance and destination. He can not plan for food or water because he has no idea how much he needs.

... ... ...

Rimas has no idea how long it will take but he is interested in a goal of [rough] distance and destination. He can not plan for food or water because he has no idea how much he needs.

Agreed, but you could have said it better in fewer words.

FB- Doug

.......Among many things, the part I REALLY don't get is the enablers providing him with boats. I don't understand the motivation. Surely it would be at least somewhat responsible on their parts to not buy him a boat or pay for repairs unless he met their conditions of receiving instruction from them and demonstrating basic sailing ability to their satisfaction.

...around when Rimas was gifted with his most recent fodder boat, there was mention that Jean does some business disposing of derelict boats. I'm not sure if he actually made money providing Rimas the boat, but it at least saved him some effort.

Yes Jean crushes old boats and boats are hazmat and hazmat is expensive to put in landfills, so everybody wins. The marina doesn't pay to scrap the derelict. The landfill isn't filled with fiberglass and Rimas gets to transport his hazmat boat to a third world destination where it all becomes someone else's problem. Including Rimas.

Yep, I agree...I wonder what he did years ago that makes at least one of the enablers feel obligated to care for him?

Yes Jean crushes old boats and boats are hazmat and hazmat is expensive to put in landfills, so everybody wins. The marina doesn't pay to scrap the derelict. The landfill isn't filled with fiberglass and Rimas gets to transport his hazmat boat to a third world destination where it all becomes someone else's problem. Including Rimas.

I thought Jean was a commercial fisherman....or is he the pilot? So much crap is posted here its hard to keep it sorted out

this has turned into a dialogue of one.....

how many inane comments can you make bfloyd ???? (spoiler...infinite!!)

at this point this thread is all about you I'm guessing......does your mom know you are in the basement drinking her cooking sherry and railing against a gentle man that has done more in the last 3 months than you have in you entire life?

I had to hold my gut from laughing when you mentioned potatoes and starbucks...omg that is classic comedy gold.

I feel more sorry for you than for Rimas...at least he moves in a line........you just circle the drain.....

We've been here before with Rimas. In this digital world we want action but at the moment there's very little.

He's like the toothless guy on the corner begging money for food on the way to work. He becomes a fixture after a while, you give him money but never any acknowledgement, no problem… he's the poor guy.

Then one day he leaves when you least expect it. Probably he has some money and he makes a move… somewhere.

Rimas Meleshyus My dream to leave at the end of July,if not than later. This time, my dream to sail around the world nonstop Kon-Tiki style. Shall I leave now, I wish. I could use a little more time to get work done. I am thinking positive and hope it happens.

I too often hope that work happens without my participation.
My hopes are generally dashed quickly, unlike our hero.

We've been here before with Rimas. In this digital world we want action but at the moment there's very little.

He's like the toothless guy on the corner begging money for food on the way to work. He becomes a fixture after a while, you give him money but never any acknowledgement, no problem… he's the poor guy.

Then one day he leaves when you least expect it. Probably he has some money and he makes a move… somewhere.

I think that many of his moves have been under pressure of locals who are tired of his panhandling. This reinforces his lack of planning; I mean, why work for the future or plan ahead when you never know if you're going to make a hurried departure... possibly within the next few minutes...

Rimas Meleshyus My dream to leave at the end of July,if not than later. This time, my dream to sail around the world nonstop Kon-Tiki style. Shall I leave now, I wish. I could use a little more time to get work done. I am thinking positive and hope it happens.

I too often hope that work happens without my participation.
My hopes are generally dashed quickly, unlike our hero.

Well, 'thinking positive' is nice but as my grandfather used to say, it won't butter your turnips (or your Danish cookies either).

FB- Doug

I thought Jean was a commercial fisherman....or is he the pilot? So much crap is posted here its hard to keep it sorted out
Stay focused. Jean is someone who Rimas met in Guam several years ago. He either worked for the Army or was active duty. Recently retired or soon will retire as a civilian. Supposidly introduced Rimas to sailing in Guam.

Shannon is the pilot. A top SanJuan24 sailor, he helped Rimas outfit Pier Pressure in Oak Harbour. Bought and paid for the tracker. Started this thread. Recently redelivered the tracker to Rimas.

Jim Furnish is the commercial fisherman from Astoria. He is just a hang around.

Most of my info comes from folowing Rimas on Facebook.

Stay focused. Jean is someone who Rimas met in Guam several years ago. He either worked for the Army or was active duty. Recently retired or soon will retire as a civilian. Supposidly introduced Rimas to sailing in Guam.

Shannon is the pilot. A top SanJuan24 sailor, he helped Rimas outfit Pier Pressure in Oak Harbour. Bought and paid for the tracker. Started this thread. Recently redelivered the tracker to Rimas.

Jim Furnish is the commercial fisherman from Astoria. He is just a hang around.

Most of my info comes from folowing Rimas on Facebook.

I think that's pretty much the case. Jean works for local govt in some capacity? I think he's retiring soon. Shannon is a pilot, but we don't know if he's a top sailor, but he does sail SJ24s. And Jim Furnish appears to be a commercial fisherman.

this has turned into a dialogue of one.....

how many inane comments can you make bfloyd ???? (spoiler...infinite!!)

at this point this thread is all about you I'm guessing......does your mom know you are in the basement drinking her cooking sherry and railing against a gentle man that has done more in the last 3 months than you have in you entire life?

I had to hold my gut from laughing when you mentioned potatoes and starbucks...omg that is classic comedy gold.

I feel more sorry for you than for Rimas...at least he moves in a line........you just circle the drain.....

This thread is about entertainment, using, Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24 as the subject and it appears you, have found my comments entertaining as i intended. Thank you. The one you should be sorry for is the person whose cognitive abilities are such they fail to understand the true intent of this thread.

I need someone to change the oil in my motor and replace all the fuel filters. Its a 28hp Volvo 2000 from 1993. If you have extra time I need some Cetol brushed on my teak hand rails and some repainting on the cabin sides.

If anyone can come work on my boat this weekend, I'll supply the beer if someone donates some beer to me.

I need someone to change the oil in my motor and replace all the fuel filters. Its a 28hp Volvo 2000 from 1993. If you have extra time I need some Cetol brushed on my teak hand rails and some repainting on the cabin sides.

If anyone can come work on my boat this weekend, I'll supply the beer if someone donates some beer to me.

Id like to do that for free. Likely destroy all that. :D

I can bring a ladder.

I can bring a ladder.

It will take a month to untie it

Hooray! DeLorme will be onboard, hopefully with plenty of batteries and it does not suffer breakage, unpaid bills or a trip to Davy Jones' locker. Really folks, this is mission critical. Without it, there's months of darkness and conjecture until Rimas makes it to the next StarBucks, with it onboard it's endless entertainment. Let the games begin!

Jim Furnish So now the countdown begins to the day Rimas again slips the surly bonds of earth and renews his love affair with the sea as he sets his course for unlimited romance and adventure in the South Pacific and beyond.And where Captain Rimas sails, you can bet his fans and his auxillary crew will be right there shariing every day of his historic voyage as he descrbes it thaniks to the DeLorme Tracker!.. GO RIMAS!
Like · Reply · 1 · 15 hrs