• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Lochnerian Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

The latest FaceBook post. Includes a plea for some parts and some shots of consumables already stowed. Also a shot of a donated barometer, not calibrated apparently.

"I am posted on the pictures, what need for the voyage today."

Check the date. This season's budget ran low so Rimas is running a clip show. This is from July 2014 on the old boat.

The latest FaceBook post. Includes a plea for some parts and some shots of consumables already stowed. Also a shot of a donated barometer, not calibrated apparently.

"I am posted on the pictures, what need for the voyage today."

Check the date. This season's budget ran low so Rimas is running a clip show. This is from July 2014 on the old boat.

I noticed the 2014 date tag on the photos, I wasn't sure but relayed the pics into SA anyway, Because:

• I'd never seen them before
  • One translation of his tag is "Here are pictures of what I need for the voyage *today*.
  • Maybe he set the year date wrong in his camera, the July part seemed right.

So I ran a filter on his FaceBook page for July 2014 and you are right. He was lookin' for a battery and got some provisions for Pier Pressure. The pics were from three posts:

July, 7 2014. Sausalito , California. Only need to get battery one and solar panel from the west Marine store on the pictures and I am ready to leave solo around the world in a San Juan 24 foot sailboat. If this I do not have I can not leave of Sausalito. The mostly everything I have on the boat.

July, 3 2014 New the weather Low pressure and High pressure, Donation from the Alan.

July, 1 2014 Donation from Vera. [the food].

I'm wrong and apparently Rimas is using old photos for donation requests. Why take second pictures of a solar panel & battery when you have stock ones already? Clever.

I'm wrong and apparently Rimas is using old photos for donation requests. Why take second pictures of a solar panel & battery when you have stock ones already? Clever.

You may be overthinking it. Rimas just clicked Yes when Facebook suggested that he share a memory (old post).

In current news:

Rimas MeleshyusJuly 12, 2016 The expedition sailing solo around the world nonstop. I am missing the sea every day Dearly ! I must sail away from Hilo, Hawaii, why I am doing this, because I am do not have engine to sail to the ports.only Only one option to sail nonstop. Need two years supply food I got donation already from Hilo, Hawaii for two years supply food, that's very nice from people Hilo who are willing to help for my the extraordinary voyage.But drinking water and propane for the cooking not yet.I am very healthy and very strong. I am 64-years old sailor. It has undermined my ambitions and success of my dreams. I realize that sailing solo around the world I can endure and make that happen I know I am gifted and sincere stay strong, stay positive, and never give up.

He's finally realized that he can't sail into and out of port and has decided that the only logical thing to do is to become the Flying Russman.

Two years of food is a minimum. Water is impossible, as it would be 400+ gallons, 3200 lbs. at least. And he's going to have enough propane tanks to be a floating Bomb.

While it's all good to avoid ports because he's incspable of sailing into the entrance, what Rimas remains ignorant of is that leaving the SE Trades in the south pacific he's going to encounter southerly busters that will prevent him from sailing far enough south to pick up the westerlies in the 40deg latitudes, because he can't sail upwind. He'll just get ping-pinged sround in the mid latitudes until something breaks or he runs out of provisions. He'll either hit a reef or get a tow/rescue long before he ever drifts around the world.

Two years of food is a minimum. Water is impossible, as it would be 400+ gallons, 3200 lbs. at least. And he's going to have enough propane tanks to be a floating Bomb.

While it's all good to avoid ports because he's incspable of sailing into the entrance, what Rimas remains ignorant of is that leaving the SE Trades in the south pacific he's going to encounter southerly busters that will prevent him from sailing far enough south to pick up the westerlies in the 40deg latitudes, because he can't sail upwind. He'll just get ping-pinged sround in the mid latitudes until something breaks or he runs out of provisions. He'll either hit a reef or get a tow/rescue long before he ever drifts around the world.

A bottle has a better chance.

and can sail faster :rolleyes: ......with a better chance of success

"Sail" is a strong word. Please stick to "drift."

He can collect rain water as he has in the past I think. As we know he can catch the occasional fish and he even eats them after an extending drying and molesting period, So he could start with a years supply and extend it as he goes. I wouldn't worry as I am sure he would have a boat catastrophe and get towed in long before a year let alone two.

"Sail" is a strong word. Please stick to "drift."

i was trying to be polite

A better chance of success than 100% success?

That would be a neat trick indeed!

Rimas just goes Kon Tiki style wherever the Tao takes him and when he gets near somewhere, friendly government-sanctioned boaters help him with the last little bit of his journey. So it's solo drifting... except those parts that aren't solo.

And it's nonstop except for ... you know.

Hey, be kind. It's not like he -wants- to stop, but when they tow him in and he can't sail back out again, what can he do?

Rimas for President 2016!

I like it- slogan "Go with the Flow, then call for a Tow!"

FB- Doug

A better chance of success than 100% success?

That would be a neat trick indeed!

Rimas just goes Kon Tiki style wherever the Tao takes him and when he gets near somewhere, friendly government-sanctioned boaters help him with the last little bit of his journey. So it's solo drifting... except those parts that aren't solo.

rimas has yet to go anyplace on his own without assistance but the rubber duckys and bottles do so on there own almost 100% of the time. In a race whom do you think would win, the bottle or rimas?

I need someone to change the oil in my motor and replace all the fuel filters. Its a 28hp Volvo 2000 from 1993. If you have extra time I need some Cetol brushed on my teak hand rails and some repainting on the cabin sides.

If anyone can come work on my boat this weekend, I'll supply the beer if someone donates some beer to me.

reminds me of a thread from last year where a guy got a cheap boat from a lien sale and needed help to move it because the marina wanted it out. he offered beer but sweetened the deal by inviting workmen to sleep over.

I need someone to change the oil in my motor and replace all the fuel filters. Its a 28hp Volvo 2000 from 1993. If you have extra time I need some Cetol brushed on my teak hand rails and some repainting on the cabin sides.

If anyone can come work on my boat this weekend, I'll supply the beer if someone donates some beer to me.

reminds me of a thread from last year where a guy got a cheap boat from a lien sale and needed help to move it because the marina wanted it out. he offered beer but sweetened the deal by inviting workmen to sleep over.
That was Dirty30 and his Sea Witch. He was truely psycho.

Something is stirring. The song choice is a bit ominous...

The expedition sailing alone around the world nonstop. I am missing the sea Dear.y.I must to sail away from the beautiful islands of Hawaii,where the sunsets and horizons meeting., my dreams.about the sea it always was in my heart,it can be done I am strong and healthy to be at sea.So much beauty at sea no endless.

Is there an anarchist who can drop by and just make doubledamnsure that the Delorme is, in fact, aboard?

I've followed this thread for over a year..it's the reason I joined this forum.

I'd like to say that I don't find humor in his mistakes but I also laugh when people fall down stairs. The only difference is rimas sets himself up for failure.

I've yet to see someone wheelchair bound take the escalator in the mall when they know they are only equipped for an elevator. Rimas needs to be jumping on the backs of trains, hitch hiking and couch surfing.

I bet he never understood the square can't go through the circle hole.

Latest share (19 minutes ago) from Rimas's Facebook page:

"America one of the most best country in the world, I am sailing proudly under the American flag.It will be dangerous and challenging task, but I am determined.I have met all kind of great people who have helped me the weather gear and food for my journey, which is greatly appreciated ! With my new boat and new start, I hope to be telling you all about my " Great Adventure" with you sometime in the future. Please feel free to look me up on Facebook and follow the journey.

Thank you. Rimas Meleshyus."

Sounds good! Except it's a *share* from July 16, 2014! I think somehow Rimas has a lot of free wifi time (the ladder may be involved) and is sifting through his old posts *with matching MM/DDs* and reposting them if they're somehow still salient. It's an interesting technique; got nothing to say, look in past years *for the same date* and share it so it's at the top of your wall for all 1,662 friends to relish.

His last actual post was July 14th, more "sail the ocean blue" blabber but their was one quite amusing reply, well worth remembering Whittaker's '71 hit single:

"Jim Furnish Someone needs to change the words around this song [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRNaFeAPi10] so it can be about Rimas and not about some Englshman crooning about war.....How about...."Rimas is sittting in the harrrborrrrr....tomorrow around the world he sailllllss.....Hes thinking about oatmeal and butter cookies in the focsle as it begins to haillllll....."

Latest share (19 minutes ago) from Rimas's Facebook page:

"America one of the most best country in the world, I am sailing proudly under the American flag.It will be dangerous and challenging task, but I am determined.I have met all kind of great people who have helped me the weather gear and food for my journey, which is greatly appreciated ! With my new boat and new start, I hope to be telling you all about my " Great Adventure" with you sometime in the future. Please feel free to look me up on Facebook and follow the journey.

Thank you. Rimas Meleshyus."

Sounds good! Except it's a *share* from July 16, 2014! I think somehow Rimas has a lot of free wifi time (the ladder may be involved) and is sifting through his old posts *with matching MM/DDs* and reposting them if they're somehow still salient. It's an interesting technique; got nothing to say, look in past years *for the same date* and share it so it's at the top of your wall for all 1,662 friends to relish.

His last actual post was July 14th, more "sail the ocean blue" blabber but their was one quite amusing reply, well worth remembering Whittaker's '71 hit single:

"Jim Furnish Someone needs to change the words around this song [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRNaFeAPi10] so it can be about Rimas and not about some Englshman crooning about war.....How about...."Rimas is sittting in the harrrborrrrr....tomorrow around the world he sailllllss.....Hes thinking about oatmeal and butter cookies in the focsle as it begins to haillllll....."

Sounds like he's just using the "Share Memories" think that Facebook prompts you with all the time.

I'm thoroughly creeped out that Rimas wished me happy birthday on FB.

heck no! You are winning the internet. Every time he comments on my stuff we all high five at the sailing center

The jib won't last long. Rimas isn't capable of taking care of his equipment. IDK how well it'll work out leaving during hurricane season. He might slip between storms and get to the doldrums soon. Or he may make such slow progress that he's a sitting duck for a big one. Who knows? All we can be sure of is that skills, seamanship, and planning won't enter in to the question of his survival.

You and many others are being repetitive. We all know what his skills are and what he's facing.

Why not assess his situation as it unfolds? The photo shows a smallish but new North bag and Rimas stated it was a jib. Much better than the roller furling Lt#1 155% Genoa which he quickly destroyed. Hopefully it's a 140% or smaller (120% if optimized for Rimas) hanked on sturdily built jib, more suited to Rimas's "set it and forget it" style.

The other thing to observe is an enabler came up with at least $500 for a major upgrade. Rimas has 1,666 followers on FaceBook some of which may cough up even more astounding kit for the trip. His social media campaign is really paying off.

heck no! You are winning the internet. Every time he comments on my stuff we all high five at the sailing center

I was friends with Rimas on FB for a grand total of 8 minutes. In that time he not only liked everything on my page for the past month but also creepily commented on how beautiful some pictures of me with my family were. That was the end of my friendship with King Ineptune.

You and many others are being repetitive. We all know what his skills are and what he's facing.

Why not assess his situation as it unfolds? The photo shows a smallish but new North bag and Rimas stated it was a jib. Much better than the roller furling Lt#1 155% Genoa which he quickly destroyed. Hopefully it's a 140% or smaller (120% if optimized for Rimas) hanked on sturdily built jib, more suited to Rimas's "set it and forget it" style.

The other thing to observe is an enabler came up with at least $500 for a major upgrade. Rimas has 1,666 followers on FaceBook some of which may cough up even more astounding kit for the trip. His social media campaign is really paying off.

We don't know what kind of jib is in the bag....working job, Genoa, furler, or hanks. What we do know from prior history is that Rimas will trash it in a few months or less.

No, his social media isn't paying off. The GoFundMe totals are over a several year period. The boat is still in poor condition...inadequate ground tackle, non-operating motor, inadequate rigging, toerails torn up, interior nasty. The only work done in the past couple months was refastening a davit to the stern (for s non-existanc dinghy), and tying a ladder to the mast for some reason. No other work has been done. It appears he spends his time on FB and boasting about his non-stop around the world plans. It's a circus clown show...and we're all laughing at it.

Good question. Jean and Shannon must be aware that eventually Rimas's incompetence will kill him. Enabling that to happen is every bit as idiotic as Rimas's clown act...or perhaps it's just sociopathic. Like if you hand a loaded handgun to a 5 year old, knowing the result. Is that idiocy? I'd say not, since the result is not unknown. But it is a sociopathic 'I don't give a fuck' action.

Looks like a new spinnaker, he loves sailing downwind.

Who's the bigger idiot: Rimas, Shannon, or Jean?

we are as well as all his facebook groupies and those who donate to his fund. Without us there would be no captain ineptude no boat no funding and no chance, or very little that rimas would kill himself at sea

Good question. Jean and Shannon must be aware that eventually Rimas's incompetence will kill him. Enabling that to happen is every bit as idiotic as Rimas's clown act...or perhaps it's just sociopathic. Like if you hand a loaded handgun to a 5 year old, knowing the result. Is that idiocy? I'd say not, since the result is not unknown. But it is a sociopathic 'I don't give a fuck' action.

If you would have given a loaded gun to my fve year olds they would have first checked to see if it was loaded then cleared the chamber and put it away., My kids learned about firearms from the time they could walk. What the average ignorant five yerar old would do is pull the trigger and when nothing happened they would look down the barrel. If everyone received firearms training at an early age and required to carry like in Israel there would never have been a 911. The gun that kills more in one year than anything else in the world in 100 years is the automobile. That is the dangerous weapon that needs outlawed not guns!

Dont be . Its just part of his fundraising campaign

I was friends with Rimas on FB for a grand total of 8 minutes. In that time he not only liked everything on my page for the past month but also creepily commented on how beautiful some pictures of me with my family were. That was the end of my friendship with King Ineptune.

Fundraising campaign...

We've discussed this before. Why do they do it?

We've discussed this before. Why do they do it?
For my entertainment. A noble purpose in my estimation.

If you would have given a loaded gun to my fve year olds they would have first checked to see if it was loaded then cleared the chamber and put it away., My kids learned about firearms from the time they could walk. What the average ignorant five yerar old would do is pull the trigger and when nothing happened they would look down the barrel. If everyone received firearms training at an early age and required to carry like in Israel there would never have been a 911. The gun that kills more in one year than anything else in the world in 100 years is the automobile. That is the dangerous weapon that needs outlawed not guns!

I didn't know 5 year olds had the arm strength to rack a slide to see what's in the chamber. I'm going down to the elementary school to hand out loaded guns to see what happens. Back in a few minutes...

Today I noticed that Rimas has discovered Kick Starter, or rather a young woman on Kick Starter that raised $8,000 to her solo sailing adventure. Before Rimas does it, I think I will recruit a model to be my spokesmodel on Kick Starter and Gofundme for my sailing adventure.

He also has a giant uptick of Japanese fans and is furiously liking everyones photos that he can access.

I wonder about the jib Shannon gave him. It could be for an O'Day 20 and he would be just as excited as one that fit his boat.

I didn't know 5 year olds had the arm strength to rack a slide to see what's in the chamber. I'm going down to the elementary school to hand out loaded guns to see what happens. Back in a few minutes...

You are right, thanks for pointing out my error. When the statement was made i went off because i am a firm believer in training at a very early age even if there are no firearms around. My two kids once they could recite the 10 rules of gun safety broke in on s&w 22lr revolvers and the like. I think they were both around 5-6

can you not stay on topic ? I should put you on ignore like everyone else has but Im too lazy...my bad. If I use the word "Swifter" in a sentence will you go off on a tangent on mops??

hey floyd...squirrel !!

.. .. .. back on topic, if it is a jib for an O'Day 20, will it hank onto a ladder OK?

maybe with soft hanks as adapters, but then rimas would have to be able to make soft hanks.

Pretty sure that is an extension ladder he has - which will allow him to adjust the luff tension for optimum sail shape.

Bingo! Major donation from guess who! Also nice map of Hawaii.

attachicon.gifrimas.jpg

Why is everyone assuming it is a sail in the bag? My money is on a new chicken.

according to his post on fb it is a donation jib, thanks to Shannon

Bingo! Major donation from guess who! Also nice map of Hawaii.

attachicon.gifrimas.jpg

Why is everyone assuming it is a sail in the bag? My money is on a new chicken.

according to his post on fb it is a donation jib, thanks to Shannon

So he claims...

We need to start a race called the rimas cup. The rules:

1- the boat and all equipment for sailing from sf to hawaii must cost less than 5k usd and be worth less than 5k usd, safety equip including raft and electronics would be supplied by the race organization.

2- on the day the race starts the competitors have no provisions and must raise enough money from total strangers to buy the race organization certified provision pack, water collection and fishing gear. Then they may depart.

3- sails must always be hoisted sideways or upside down. Bonus prize money for making it with only one sail or no sails. More money given for each pound of fish caught.

4- sailors can only have one person give them weather and routing instructions though by soliciting donations en route competitors may rack up additional prize money by arranging the longest tow possible into hawaii. Seaworthiness of tow for safety reasons must be approved by the race organization.

1- the boat and all equipment for sailing from sf to hawaii must cost less than 5k usd and be worth less than 5k usd, safety equip including raft and electronics would be supplied by the race organization.

2- on the day the race starts the competitors have no provisions and must raise enough money from total strangers to buy the race organization certified provision pack, water collection and fishing gear. Then they may depart.

3- sails must always be hoisted sideways or upside down. Bonus prize money for making it with only one sail or no sails. More money given for each pound of fish caught.

4- sailors can only have one person give them weather and routing instructions though by soliciting donations en route competitors may rack up additional prize money by arranging the longest tow possible into hawaii. Seaworthiness of tow for safety reasons must be approved by the race organization.

To keep it within the spirit of Rimas, a few modifications are in order:

1 - Life raft must be deployed within 5 minutes of departure. Electronics limited to car GPS (Tom Tom or Magellan)

3 - Double bonus prize money for making it with only 1 shroud.

5 - Must tow a dinghy for 5 miles, then throw outboard into dinghy - sinking outboard with said dinghy (may as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone here)

i have so many old sails laying around that look 10x better then what rimas has. I just can't bring myself to bother sending him one, i don't know why.

because then you'd be part of the problem.

.. .. .. back on topic, if it is a jib for an O'Day 20, will it hank onto a ladder OK?

maybe with soft hanks as adapters, but then rimas would have to be able to make soft hanks.

Pretty sure that is an extension ladder he has - which will allow him to adjust the luff tension for optimum sail shape.

Nah, it's a budget telescoping whisker pole.

Nah, it's a budget telescoping whisker pole.

It could be a swordfish harpooning pulpit.

you forgot to add that you must be towed out to see and must use emergency services at the other end to secure a tow into port

I love the idea!.....Oh, and only proven non sailors that claim they know how to sail can enter the race

Ahem ... that would include Mr. Bfloyd presumably.

Don't you think the race would be fun? I love instrumentation so would not respond well to remote control and if fish caught my attention trackers would likely see me hanging around the same area or going in the wrong direction like our hero. However, there would be no crabbing waters are to deep :rolleyes: