• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

ok to translate...bfloyd this is an image of self flagellation...which stands as a metaphor for.......

lol i forgot to whom I'm talking to for a second !!.... ok never mind Bf forget i said anything...... just guys with red paint on them :))

btw Ishmael.... this is a very interesting pic.......is this a group of Chinese dissidents ? looks like a Chinese flag in the background; perhaps Uyghurs ??? but Ive never seen a protest like this before...i'd be interested in the origin of this pic.

ok to translate...bfloyd this is an image of self flagellation...which stands as a metaphor for.......

lol i forgot to whom I'm talking to for a second !!.... ok never mind Bf forget i said anything...... just guys with red paint on them :))

btw Ishmael.... this is a very interesting pic.......is this a group of Chinese dissidents ? looks like a Chinese flag in the background; perhaps Uyghurs ??? but Ive never seen a protest like this before...i'd be interested in the origin of this pic.

woolly's got it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3283058/Crying-agony-covered-blood-Afghan-Shiite-Muslims-wash-away-sins-gory-self-flagellation-rituals-commemorate-death-Prophet-s-grandson-1-300-years-ago.html

Another record setting sailor's vessel was brought to the attention of the Uglyboat Admiration Society and this ensued:

That boat is messy, not very ugly, and not particularly Admirable as far as I can see. Pretty ordinary, except for the extraordinary mess.

Would a French speaker please translate the ad copy? I have a feeling we're missing some fun there.

It's not really an ad, but a magazine article that's mocking the boat and its skipper. The copy suggests the attitude is: "There is no problem without a solution. Therefore, if there is no solution, there is no problem."

It's an attitude thang. Nooo problem.

Another record setting sailor's vessel was brought to the attention of the Uglyboat Admiration Society and this ensued:

That boat is messy, not very ugly, and not particularly Admirable as far as I can see. Pretty ordinary, except for the extraordinary mess.

Would a French speaker please translate the ad copy? I have a feeling we're missing some fun there.

It's not really an ad, but a magazine article that's mocking the boat and its skipper. The copy suggests the attitude is: "There is no problem without a solution. Therefore, if there is no solution, there is no problem."

It's an attitude thang. Nooo problem.

hummm..........

Perpetual motion solved at last.

So, If our hero Kontikiman cannot circumnavigate the earth then there is no Earth! He has tried for years.

No offense bfloyd, but can someone please post a new topic, like "rimas is on the water" when Rimas actually leaves (via tow, broken mooring line, whatever) so we can ignore this endless dribble?

I agree it would be nice to end this dribble but that won't happen until rimas is adrift again

September 3, 2016 Hilo harbor, Hawaii ! Sailing alone around the world ! Some day I will not here. To sail around the need to be completely free, and no responsibility so that's why I am alone. What is inspiring me my boat never it was perfect no tools absolutely, no life raft, no working engine, no steering auto pilot, no money, but I am sailing under American flag extremely I am happy doing its called a celebration of freedom from the Soviet Union !

14225539_642981559194080_654037477078349

September 3, 2016 Hilo harbor, Hawaii ! Sailing alone around the world ! Some day I will not here. To sail around the need to be completely free, and no responsibility so that's why I am alone. What is inspiring me my boat never it was perfect no tools absolutely, no life raft, no working engine, no steering auto pilot, no money, but I am sailing under American flag extremely I am happy doing its called a celebration of freedom from the Soviet Union !

14225539_642981559194080_654037477078349

Does he know the Soviet Union no longer exist?

Does he know the Soviet Union no longer exist?

I am afraid he might just be a few years afhead of time actually :wacko:

Rimas Adrift...inspirational poetry from a moron.

http://sailingfortuitous.com/rimas/

chuckle...aint morons often mesmerized by simple flashy things that do nothing for hours and hours sorta like us mesmerized by a moron....????? Hum, does that make us idiots then if we are controlled by a moron???

........does that make us idiots then if we are controlled by a moron???

Yes,, but it's more appropriate to speak for yourself on this one. <_<

I'm the only one intelligent enough to notice the fact that we are controlled, captured,mesmerized by a moron and that does not say much for our intellegence. So I guess that puts me in with the more intelligent of the idiots captured by rimas.......

I'm the only one intelligent enough to notice the fact that we are controlled, captured,mesmerized by a moron and that does not say much for our intellegence. So I guess that puts me in with the more intelligent of the idiots captured by rimas.......

Take it to PA. Many there are "mesmerized by a moron".

Sure thing, you're the only intelligent one.

You are too dumb to be insulted.

Chuckle.

Seriously sir, you are an idiot.

Chet Atkins, covering the Jazz standard Summertime, on a fretless guitar:

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=8VlBBwchRko

Chet is good. My favorite, however, is this guy...

http://youtu.be/rVl1ibykWZU

Nice one. These guys are out of Fla, Jacksonville, but recently moved north. They're some pretty sick players.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wOg0yiZrEgY

Chet Atkins, covering the Jazz standard Summertime, on a fretless guitar:https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=8VlBBwchRko

Chet is good. My favorite, however, is this guy...http://youtu.be/rVl1ibykWZU

Nice one. These guys are out of Fla, Jacksonville, but recently moved north. They're some pretty sick players.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wOg0yiZrEgY

They can play. Way more entertaining than Rimas onshore.

Perhaps we should tie this thread drift back to sailing... Here is a young local band who played at Whidbey Island Race Week this past July. They put on a very energic show. Fun night.

http://youtu.be/FBnvcZa1PIY

Speaking of drift... Any update as when Rimas' drift-fest begins?

Wow, I like that! Tiny Desk Concert is a great series. The kick drum reminded be of a story...day after Christmas gf and I hanging out at friends house. Friend had gotten a printer for Christmas, gf was walking around with the cardboard box printer came in beating on it like a drum. Wanted to 'play' it that night at a solo gig, so I rigged it up with a kick pedal and stuffed a mic inside. Sounded pretty good, but by the end of the night she had destroyed the box with the kick pedal. She had a pretty big show coming up, a benefit for a community radio station featuring many local artists, and wanted something better. So I built a 'kick cajon'. Finished it right before show, and rushed over. She was reluctant to play it without testing it out first...I had to assure her it sounded good. I showed stage hand where to mic it, and she went on. It worked well and sounded good. Last song of her set was a cover of Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill. At the point where lyrics goes "my heart goes bump, bump, bump" she gave it 3 mighty whacks with the pedal. OMG what a glorious sound, just reverberated throughout the venue. Crowd thought it was awesome. Ended up building a couple more for other artists there that had to have one. GF ended up getting a stomp box for her pedal board, as it was easier to tote around. Doesn't sound quite as good though.

Perhaps we should tie this thread drift back to sailing... Here is a young local band who played at Whidbey Island Race Week this past July. They put on a very energic show. Fun night.http://youtu.be/FBnvcZa1PIY

Wow, I like that! Tiny Desk Concert is a great series. The kick drum reminded be of a story...day after Christmas gf and I hanging out at friends house. Friend had gotten a printer for Christmas, gf was walking around with the cardboard box printer came in beating on it like a drum. Wanted to 'play' it that night at a solo gig, so I rigged it up with a kick pedal and stuffed a mic inside. Sounded pretty good, but by the end of the night she had destroyed the box with the kick pedal. She had a pretty big show coming up, a benefit for a community radio station featuring many local artists, and wanted something better. So I built a 'kick cajon'. Finished it right before show, and rushed over. She was reluctant to play it without testing it out first...I had to assure her it sounded good. I showed stage hand where to mic it, and she went on. It worked well and sounded good. Last song of her set was a cover of Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill. At the point where lyrics goes "my heart goes bump, bump, bump" she gave it 3 mighty whacks with the pedal. OMG what a glorious sound, just reverberated throughout the venue. Crowd thought it was awesome. Ended up building a couple more for other artists there that had to have one. GF ended up getting a stomp box for her pedal board, as it was easier to tote around. Doesn't sound quite as good though.
good story. Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps we should tie this thread drift back to sailing... Here is a young local band who played at Whidbey Island Race Week this past July. They put on a very energic show. Fun night.http://youtu.be/FBnvcZa1PIY

good story. Thanks for sharing.
Found I still have photos on fb, let's see if this works...

Cardboard box:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150121484211579&id=728416578&set=a.10150121484141579.325032.728416578&source=56&ref=bookmarks

Kick cajon:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150121487601579&id=728416578&set=a.10150121487111579.325033.728416578&source=56&ref=bookmarks

Perhaps we should tie this thread drift back to sailing... Here is a young local band who played at Whidbey Island Race Week this past July. They put on a very energic show. Fun night.

http://youtu.be/FBnvcZa1PIY

So far he is sticking to the October departure after Curicane season ends. In my understanding Hurricane season ends around Thanksgiving/ end of November, but I'm sure it's winding down now.

His key impediments remain money for food and water and mystery objects called tools.

Then the big question is who will he get to tow him out far enough that he doesn't drift right back.

Spotted on FB with this comment:

A boat the recent storm blew onto shore here in St Pete Fl when the tide was high. What is amazing is the boat didn't fall over. It's a single keel and its sitting perfectly upright on its keel. The owner is in for a big surprise the next time he wants to go for a sail, lol!!

rimaselkstpete.jpg

I would call that a Rimas landing, but this boat like his beached itself with no operator present.

There is a sand spit near Blaine where boats routinely run aground at high tide when they try to shortcut the channel marker and are left high and dry at low tide, bit they don't get the churning sand from wave action to bury the keels that you get in a storm.

Provisioning for the Con Tiki voyage.

14344220_645586448933591_718759190098062

September 11, 2016 The expedition sailing solo around the world. You could think to have for two years supply of food I do. I knew it happens to me I am gifted and sincere stay strong, stay positive , and never give up. The United States of America always strong of the Freedom. To sail under America flag it's a celebration of freedom forever !

Some garlic potatoes. Some buttery potatoes. No sprouts.

Rimas Meleshyus added 17 new photos.

4 hrs ·

September 11, 2016 The expedition sailing solo around the world. You could think to have for two years supply of food I do. I knew it happens to me I am gifted and sincere stay strong, stay positive , and never give up. The United States of America always strong of the Freedom. To sail under America flag it's a celebration of freedom forever !

One good knockdown and a lot of his provisions in glass containers will end up as a slurry in the bilge.

Rimas Meleshyus added 17 new photos.

4 hrs ·

One good knockdown and a lot of his provisions in glass containers will end up as a slurry in the bilge.
He can always stop in Samoa and grift more from the Mormons. I don't know who will clean up the mess of broken glass and slurry. Pretty sure Rimas won't lift a finger.

Looks like he is done with the ladder and is using the spinnaker pole topping lift to raise a main or trysail or something. A couple months ago on FB, he told me that he had no use for the main, so no need to fix the halyard.

post-4794-0-82475200-1473654410_thumb.jpg

So it sat upright & it was abandoned & the tide came back in & took it?

I am sure the winter storms took it. The CG would not consider a salvage and IIRC before the CG took him off the island, a fishing boat came by and offered him a ride but he refused because he wanted them to salvage his boat and they could not. The bay is really shallow and his boat was a long way up the beach.

So it sat upright & it was abandoned & the tide came back in & took it?

I am sure the winter storms took it. The CG would not consider a salvage and IIRC before the CG took him off the island, a fishing boat came by and offered him a ride but he refused because he wanted them to salvage his boat and they could not. The bay is really shallow and his boat was a long way up the beach.

10 4. I just wondered if some local was sailing around in it.

Looks like he is done with the ladder and is using the spinnaker pole topping lift to raise a main or trysail or something. A couple months ago on FB, he told me that he had no use for the main, so no need to fix the halyard.

FB_IMG_1473654340939.jpg

I think what he's done is to gather the mainsail together and tie a knot halfway up, then tied the pole lift to the knot for a halyard.

The headsail appears to be a recent donation, probably from Shannon. It doesn't appear to be very durable, and will be trashed before Samoa. The brand new heavy duty sail he trashed in a few days.

Looks like he is done with the ladder and is using the spinnaker pole topping lift to raise a main or trysail or something. A couple months ago on FB, he told me that he had no use for the main, so no need to fix the halyard.FB_IMG_1473654340939.jpg

I think what he's done is to gather the mainsail together and tie a knot halfway up, then tied the pole lift to the knot for a halyard.

The headsail appears to be a recent donation, probably from Shannon. It doesn't appear to be very durable, and will be trashed before Samoa. The brand new heavy duty sail he trashed in a few days.

Yes, it looks like the kind of jury rig that Rimas would do instead of fixing it right. The jib has PNW sail nos, but I can't find which boat it came from. With the odd numbers, it is probably a BC boat. US boats used even numbers.

I am probably pessimistic to ight, but suspect this old Rawson 30 won't survive very long once he goes to sea again.

From upthreadd:

post-4794-0-55122200-1470106875.jpg

The Rawsons are pieces of shit, but they are a heavy layup of solid glass. Boat would probably last longer pounding on a reef than BS's steel pieces of shit. Everything else is suspect...rudder is old, rigging is old. Rig may fall down, he might blow himself up with that jury-rigged propane stove, he may starve...but that Rawson will still stoically drift downwind at 1.25 knots. Jean chose the most nearly Rimas-proof boat made.

Pat I'd like to buy a vowel please........ I'd like to buy an "A"

Pat Sajak: Good choice...there are 17 "A". 's ....can you solve " The expedition sailing alone around............"?

Id like to solve it....is it..??.......The expedition sailing alone around and around in a world without end and picking up sponsors to fund my drift athon faster than a Thai hooker picks up Americans she is going to love loong time ?

Pat: For $250 that is correct !!

Somebody's been to the sticker aisle at Ace Hardware....

14232376_645588528933383_799116216975378

I was wondering if Rimas has a notebook so he knows what provisions he has and where they are stowed, or how he knows when he has two years worth of meals.

Ha, I made a funny.

I'm sure he is stowing those glass jars of spaghetti sauce up high so they will get maximum splatter when they hit the other side of the hull.

I was wondering if Rimas has a notebook so he knows what provisions he has and where they are stowed, or how he knows when he has two years worth of meals.

Ha, I made a funny.

I'm sure he is stowing those glass jars of spaghetti sauce up high so they will get maximum splatter when they hit the other side of the hull.

I wonder if he even had a shopping list, or if he just loaded up on shiny packaged foods.

The few pictures he has posted looks mostly like condiments. Somewhere hopefully he has rice or pasta or beans or something. Costco has canned chicken in one pound containers that is pretty good, but who knows if he is planning to just catch a fish just when he needs it.

The few pictures he has posted looks mostly like condiments. Somewhere hopefully he has rice or pasta or beans or something. Costco has canned chicken in one pound containers that is pretty good, but who knows if he is planning to just catch a fish just when he needs it.

He buys paper sacks of raw oats. IDK if that's the entree.

One of the pictures showed a box of pasta. When the jars of pasta sauce, olive oil and peaches break and mix in the bilge, he can just scoop it out, preseasoned with bilge water.

The few pictures he has posted looks mostly like condiments. Somewhere hopefully he has rice or pasta or beans or something. Costco has canned chicken in one pound containers that is pretty good, but who knows if he is planning to just catch hang a fish just when he needs it in the rigging for months.

fixed for ya... more accurate now

FB- Doug

Wonder how he knows he has two years of food. He doesn't seem the type to plan accurately or even keep a log.

...saw a pack of duracells,, he's not as dumb as he makes out,,

.......though I'd be more likely to go for some rechargables and a solar panel :rolleyes:

Nah he donated the boat or sold it IIRC so should be no unpaid fees.

Why do you think that?

IIRC, there was a photo of him upthread with a mitt full of cash and a goofy grin on his face. I'm not sure if the cash was from the sale of the boat or if Jean sent money for a plane ticket home.

In either case I doubt the money was used to pay outstanding fees - it is not the Rimas way. Has he ever paid for anything out of his own pocket (other than maybe Starbucks)?

Wonder how he knows he has two years of food. He doesn't seem the type to plan accurately or even keep a log.

...saw a pack of duracells,, he's not as dumb as he makes out,,

.......though I'd be more likely to go for some rechargables and a solar panel :rolleyes:

I think the Delorme has it's own solar panel.

Somebody's been to the sticker aisle at Ace Hardware....

Yep, because its a whole lot cheaper than the sticker isle at West Marine.

More money for glass jars of peaches and pasta sauce in the bilge...

(and powdered taters).

I like that he stickers "NONSTOP!" on the toerail.

Super-Bad-Ass!!!

No more pictures.

No more autographs.

No more fuckin' around at the local Starbucks [after this one last mochachino]...

He's ON like Donkey Kong!!

post-102910-0-58121000-1473969274_thumb.jpg

post-102910-0-35958700-1473969295_thumb.jpg

There is also lettering that says "Facebook & t" Either the letters fell off or he ran out of letters....

The best is the nonstop part, since he is basically broken down and 'stopped' in Hilo (or some other places most of the time)