• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

Today Rimas said he moved off the boat, the dream has crashed.

Rimas Meleshyus I moved to my friends house ! No anymore living on the sailboat, more room and more quite place too.

Like · Reply · 6 hrs

I went looking for that post and did not find it. I did find this from the same day:

Sailing alone around the world ! Crossing the big seaş in very tiny sailboat 24 foot where do not belong to the sea it was amazing 4'250 miles voyage from San Francisco to Samoa island nonstop 120 days at sea.

Don't know about the whole unfriending thing. He appears to have over 3,000 friends, including a few besides me who post on these forums, if not in this thread.

Not having the linguistic skills of Rimas I could not make up a phony story. Yes I just copied and pasted his words. They are still there if you do a detailed search. This is another copy and paste but more complete. Of note, he doesn't answer at the end if he is still sailing.

Rita Rotava Beautiful....

Like · Reply · 1 · January 28 at 4:08am

Rimas Meleshyus replied · 1 Reply

Anastasios Michaelides

Anastasios Michaelides It seems to be an amazing place!!!!

Like · Reply · 1 · January 28 at 5:18am

Rimas Meleshyus replied · 1 Reply

Lana Ngo

Lana Ngo Such beautiful picture ! heart emoticon<3 it

Like · Reply · 1 · January 31 at 11:13am

Rimas Meleshyus

Rimas Meleshyus Good evening to you Lana ! Thank you I was off four days from the Facebook page !

Like · Reply · 1 · January 31 at 12:09pm

Lana Ngo

Lana Ngo Why ??

Like · Reply · 1 · January 31 at 12:58pm

Rimas Meleshyus

Rimas Meleshyus I moved to my friends house ! No anymore living on the sailboat, more room and more quite place too.

Like · Reply · 1 · January 31 at 1:41pm

Lana Ngo

Lana Ngo But you still sailing...... aren't you ??

Like · Reply · Yesterday at 9:56am

After poking around a little, I found a 2006 State owned marinas slip fee schedule. Apparently in Wailoa harbor it's $4.00USD/foot, $120/month for a Rawson 30. There may be a $2/day stayaboard fee too, and a 10% surcharge for nonresidents. I called the Hawaii DNLR and was told the Wailoa harbor slip fee is $2.16/ft/month (!) and no liveaboards allowed.

So if the DNLR person is to be believed , Rimas would pay $2.16x30 +10% + $2.00x31 = $134/month, an astounding pittance that even Rimas can cover from his Social Security check and have money left over for StarBucks and meals. He could stay there forever comfortably.

Maybe a local could confirm these numbers for me, they seem outlandishly low.

That doesn't sound right at all...maybe that's a weekly figure? Marinas generally charge $1-2/ft/day, or $30-60/day for Rimas's boat. A discount for weekly or monthly rental is normal. Somebody local looked it up when Rimas first washed up there (Longy?), and reported monthly rate in the neighborhood of $400+. That's about what I'd expect. I think Rimas gets about $360 monthly from SS. He gets the minimum, as he doesn't have much of an employment history.

I can't imagine the State charging rates below commercial market, as the taxpayers would be getting poor value and the commercial Marina operators would be screaming bloody murder.

The DNLR person was quite clear that the rate was $2.16/ft/month. My slip rent in San Diego is $19.00/ft/month or $0.62/ft/day, surely near the top concerning slip rental. Your estimate of $1.50/ft/day translates into $1,350/month for Rimas; dropping it to $400/month is quite the monthly discount.

Concerning what size his Social Security check is, I suspect Rimas at least logged his 40 quarters (ten years) to become eligible, he needed to work for at least 10 years with earnings of at least $5,040 per year. I suspect his participation in SS was more like 20-25 years. I doubt his income was so low that he qualifies for the special minimum benefit, and the special minimum benefit is being used less and less these days, because it is so low in comparison with most workers' PIA that it's nearly irrelevant to new beneficiaries. So I dartboard his monthly check @ $500- $700/ month.

These calculations and guesstimations are critical for determining Rimas's future. Case 1: If he's paying $400+/month for his slip and only getting a $400 SS check, he's doomed to move on or lose his boat. Case 2: If he's paying $150/month for the slip and getting a $600 SS check, he's probably in the best situation imaginable and he can enjoy his retirement where he is now at barely above impoverishment level, with a few Starbuck's latte's thrown in on top of a buttery potatoes and rice diet.

The supposition that his 1000 FaceBook friends are regularly dosing him with cash to cover the shortfall if it's Case 1 I think is unlikely. Aside from a few major injections from true believers like Jean, cash flow from donations is trivial and has dried up since his (2nd) arrival in Hawaii. More likely is Case 2 because he's been tied to the dock for many months now; departure being pushed months into the future each time a proclaimed deadline approaches.

I gotta admit, if it's Case 2 all hail Rimas! Living in paradise on the low down with no pressure to move on.

I'm quite sure Rimas doesn't have 10 years of work history. He claims work as a translator in Okinawa, but I don't think it was for an employer. I suspect he was on call for tourists and worked for cash. Since then he's just hobo'd around...walking across Canada, bumming around the Carribean, attempted to walk down North and South America (which may have stopped in Panama b/c of "bad men"), and freeloaded off his Japanese gf in San Fran. His current status is just a continuation of his previous history. He's a hobo, and if he stumbles on a spot where the grifting is good he'll stick around a while. Then he wanders on...downwind... Kon-Tiki style. Easy come, easy go. No work, no responsibilities. Ignorance is bliss.

I still think your slip rental info is bad. I can't imagine a slip in Hawaii being $120 something a month. The place would be packed with Rimas type bums (and worse) looking for a cheap place to live. I'm sure it's much more.

you can get ssi without ever working a single day all you need is to establish refugee status or have a mental condition.

We've proven you can have a mental condition and become president, but you still can't be an immigrant. Maybe an immigrant with a mental condition could run as long as the condition was strong delusions of grandeur and they kept it all in their own head.

;)

you can get ssi without ever working a single day all you need is to establish refugee status or have a mental condition.

.... first hand knowledge? :mellow:

knowledge?? not likely, just collect and read old books so mine would be secondhand knowledge. Besides me first and have has other uses

;)

knowledge?? not likely, just collect and read old books so mine would be secondhand knowledge. Besides me first and have has other uses

Thank you.

Geeze - not this shit again! Why don't you retell the story about your neighbors, the Russian illegal immigrants that were given a house and car along with their 'allowance' from the State?

Geeze - not this shit again! Why don't you retell the story about your neighbors, the Russian illegal immigrants that were given a house and car along with their 'allowance' from the State?

yep, must be time for more old stale news...

Sep 19, 2014. 12:53 PM

Now in the american samoa island will be more complicated than it ws in sausalito no more dinhgy i lost it in the storm last month august i must to find dock.

Change in Rimas scheduled award winning round the world drift-a-thon.

Rimas Meleshyus added 5 new photos.

2 hrs ·

2017 February 5 Hawaii islands ! Now I am living in countryside it's very far from Hilo town.

Leua Aiono Frost

Leua Aiono Frost When are you planning to come thru Pago Capt Rimas Meleshyus???

Rimas Meleshyus May be next year Leua ! This year I am not planning I moved already the end of December last year to the house I love it here, on the boat too small space I have it now more room.

;)

:mellow:

;)

Yes, it struck me as poetry.

;)

Yes, it struck me as poetry.

.......I suppose that would be an affirmative, .... if there ever was one. indeed. :mellow:

House in the country? We're talking a chicken harem. Rimas ain't going nowhere.

This thread probably has a year left in it. By then he'll have lost the boat due to not being able to keep up with the cost of moorage and that will be that. Any health issues on his part will accelerate that process. not that I'm wishing him ill. Somebody wake me up when the boat is gone.

This thread probably has a year left in it. By then he'll have lost the boat due to not being able to keep up with the cost of moorage and that will be that. Any health issues on his part will accelerate that process. not that I'm wishing him ill. Somebody wake me up when the boat is gone.

This is evolving into same situation as in Samoa. He moves ashore to grift off of well-meaning people. Boat sits at dock, neglected, until too far gone. He's not going to do any work on boat, he's not even going to show up periodically to pump bilge , charge batteries, and check docklines...let alone clean the bottom. At some point hell abandon it and stop paying dockage. Harbormaster would be advised to start making contingency plan for removal of boat. Shannon is looking pretty naive and gullible right now. Jean is grateful he's washed his hands of the problem. I don't think there's any way to help or rehabilitate Rimas.

First Russian Immigrant American to Give Up Sailing Around the World Solo Non-Stop After Drifting 10% of the Distance.

A new world record!!! derp.png

That's yuuuuuugggeee! A tremendous accomplishment. Trust me, folks, this is amazing...

This is evolving into same situation as in Samoa. He moves ashore to grift off of well-meaning people. Boat sits at dock, neglected, until too far gone. He's not going to do any work on boat, he's not even going to show up periodically to pump bilge , charge batteries, and check docklines...let alone clean the bottom. At some point hell abandon it and stop paying dockage. Harbormaster would be advised to start making contingency plan for removal of boat. Shannon is looking pretty naive and gullible right now. Jean is grateful he's washed his hands of the problem. I don't think there's any way to help or rehabilitate Rimas.

Agreed. Gotta admit though, he's had a pretty good run for a feckless drifter.

...yah, not a good sailor, but amazing drifter.

What gets me is that he had courage to go to sea over and over,,

....he tempted fate each time, and got away with it!

If you or I tried some of what he did, we'd be -damned- for our knowledge. :mellow:

.....personally, I think the chickens did most of the navigating. :rolleyes:

My guess is that some day in the near future he will leave his country home to go stare longingly at his beloved boat..... and all that will be there are short pieces of chafed dockline hanging from the dock cleats....

Give it a rest, man.

The "chicken" is his dick.

"Choking the chicken" is masturbation.

Most of the stupid chicken "jokes" (they're not funny, insightful, or relevant) fully fall flat with the masturbation paradigm.

Give it a rest. rolleyes.gif

That's it . Game over.

Give it a rest, man.

Most of the stupid chicken "jokes" (they're not funny, insightful, or relevant) fully fall flat with the masturbation paradigm.

12941.jpg

Rimas said he took the sails off the boat when someone asked if he would day sail. I translate that the sails rotted in the sun after being left out for a year.

It appears he isn't going anywhere for the balance of this year.

I predict that when his host gives him the boot he will get a fist full of dollars (for the flight) and ask Jean for another boat in Richardson Bay.

Give it a rest, man.

No shit, Sherlock.

It started many pages ago when Rimas wouldn't stop talking about his Nat Geo collection. Of course SA speculated he was just choking his chicken, then involved that there was a chicken aboard he was lusting after. Try and keep up.

That's it . Game over.

Yep. I can't believe none of you clowns saw this one coming.

I just researched the Guinness Book of World Records...

World Record for the most Government funded Coast Guard tow-ins?

Check.

World Record for the most miles unintentionally drifted?

Check.

World Record for actually making headway with an upside down jib?

Check.

World Record for the most freely mooched Starbucks Crapachinos?

Check.

World Record for the most dumbfuck Facebook donors to this lost cause?

Check.

World Record for the longest, yet most disappointing thread in Sailing Anarchy history?

Check.

Well, I guess he did in fact accomplish his goal of setting a "World Record". Actually, more than one...

In your face bitches.

True story,

You don't have to believe me you are welcome to drop by and conduct your own investigation. All I am doing to reporting my observations. I don't spend much time at that location which was the first house I ever bought and is in a ghetto. You can sail to within a mile of this location. Its a big world out there and lots of things go on that you wouldn't believe unless you were there

...yah, not a good sailor, but amazing drifter.

What gets me is that he had courage to go to sea over and over,,

....he tempted fate each time, and got away with it!

If you or I tried some of what he did, we'd be -damned- for our knowledge. :mellow:

.....personally, I think the chickens did most of the navigating. :rolleyes:

Operative word... Had. He had the courage, but now it's gone.

Or maybe he just got smarter?

then involved that there was a chicken aboard he was lusting after. Try and keep up.

This evolution (that's what you meant, right?) is precisely what I think is stupid.

Rimas' story is incredulous and entertaining enough without jumping the shark. Reality is better than lame fiction.

I predict that when his host gives him the boot he will get a fist full of dollars (for the flight) and ask Jean for another boat in Richardson Bay.

Probably. I'm going to guess that if Jean cooperates, he will be more diligent about getting the boat into Rimas' name this time around.

Probably. I'm going to guess that if Jean cooperates, he will be more diligent about getting the boat into Rimas' name this time around.

That was a bit of an 'oh, shit' moment. But I think Jean is done with Rimas now. Rimas did nothing but bring him aggravation.
  • 2 weeks later...

The record-breaking sailor has already set a career's worth of records.... cheapest boat (free), slowest speed (1.33 knots), most courtesy tows/rescues ( 9 or 10?), most artistic display of rotten mahi mahi in the rigging, most creative bungee knot, and greatest cumulative distance covered downwind Kon-Tiki drifting. Not sure there's anything more for him to accomplish.

The record-breaking sailor has already set a career's worth of records.... cheapest boat (free), slowest speed (1.33 knots), most courtesy tows/rescues ( 9 or 10?), most artistic display of rotten mahi mahi in the rigging, most creative bungee knot, and greatest cumulative distance covered downwind Kon-Tiki drifting. Not sure there's anything more for him to accomplish.

Hang on.

I'm anticipating a protest from the Cheesemonaut regarding the slowest speed.

I thought it went down at less than a knot during the driftathon.

You missed his world record parking job on that beach

our guy just locked a sponsorship deal with at&t :D

gallery_116338_1152_13904.jpg

....yahhh, he got a job as a circuit breaker :lol:

Someone asked him when the adventure would continue.

Rimas Meleshyus its hard to leave Hawaii,because it's so beautiful islands I would like to continue sailing !

Uh oh. Gravity storms. I know the problem well. There are very strong ones in the vicinity of my couch.

I resemble that comment. :mellow:

Rimas!! If you are reading this, you are losing your audience. (you know you like it)

Fashion shots just don't cut it...

Time to sail off, get washed overboard a coupla times ;) ,more mahi mahi, more girls, maybe beach the Rawson too (ratings will hit the roof) and above all, use that vacant stare on the ocean (it really does look like the wisdom of the old man and the sea).

Oh... and make sure the funding page is up to date for the money. I'm sure I don't need to remind you.

Good luck my friend.

Rimas!! If you are reading this, you are losing your audience. (you know you like it)

Time to sail off, get washed overboard a coupla times ;) ,more mahi mahi, more girls, maybe beach the Rawson too (ratings will hit the roof) and above all, use that vacant stare on the ocean (it really does look like the wisdom of the old man and the sea).

Oh... and make sure the funding page is up to date for the money. I'm sure I don't need to remind you.

Good luck my friend.

...and if that don't work,,, how about an incentive page.....

If yer go to sea in the next month, turn the tracker on, trace out a STAR pattern of 5 distinctive directions held for more than 15min per direction,,, all 5 directions completed in a 2 hr period,,,and take at least 3 photos on each leg....... here's a.....

Pledge Sheet!

Couchsurfer Pledges to pay $150US to your go-fund-chicken page if you complete the above challenge.

you'll see I was one of your earliest donors**,,,happy to donate more if you complete the task.

anyone else? :rolleyes:

( **...before it was obvious that you're completely useless.)

He had nearly $2000 in pledges for sailing around American Samoa, to demonstrate his capability to sail his boat in view of his intended voyage into the Southern Ocean. He was unwilling to even attempt it, despite his constant begging for money.

Good luck my friend.

If yer go to sea in the next month, turn the tracker on, trace out a STAR pattern of 5 distinctive directions held for more than 15min per direction,,, all 5 directions completed in a 2 hr period,,,and take at least 3 photos on each leg....... here's a.....

Pledge Sheet!

Couchsurfer Pledges to pay $150US to your go-fund-chicken page if you complete the above challenge.

you'll see I was one of your earliest donors**,,,happy to donate more if you complete the task.

Talk about the impossible!! Rimas has very little control over direction other than by virtue of the Hadley cell circulation (ask Rimas.). As RKoch points out... he can't even sail around Samoa for a large sum of money.

Anyway, Couch that suggestion is very Reid Stowesque, a publicity stunt that rhymes with punt.

C'mon Rimas!!! Go sailing ya grifter. You owe it too the gullible benefactors who are currently only paying for berthage, starbucks coffee and your fashion wardrobe.

Just wait until he wears out the welcome on shore. He will be back to asking for tools on FB.

I suspect from the long series of excuses that he must have had an experience that put him off drifting. On the other hand he could be getting free room and board plus sex. It's the ultimate drifter grifter gigolo deal.

Some of the women throwing panties at him on FB are really attractive. I wonder if this is the first one that ever took him home or if he has one on every island.

Maybe I will make him my guru and have him send me rambling semicoherent videos on how to pick up women.

Do we know it was a woman that took him in? My guess is whoever it was is going to tire of his lazy ass fairly quickly. Dude refuses to do a lick of even basic chores...

lazy ass......Is this a new world record for him? Laziest person or maybe laziest person afloat, naw he doesn't even drift anymore just looks stupid waiting for someone to take pity on him and care for him. Wonder if he can even wipe his own ass or does that have to be done for him as well?

Maybe instead of mocking Rimas' fundraising and sailing we should do our own.

Let's raise a fund to send a forum member to Samoa with the mission of finding Pier Pressure and sailing it around the island. Someone has to do it.

Pier Pressure's Pointless Lap Around Samoa!

People give money to more ridiculous things every day.

Good luck my friend.

Pledge Sheet!

hey remie, how would you like one of these...

post-14713-0-91106100-1487649989.jpg

Isn't she pretty?

Let's raise a fund to send a forum member to Samoa with the mission of finding Pier Pressure and sailing it around the island. Someone has to do it.

well played. i'll pay for that trip, just gotta tag rimas in every point of the trip .

are you for real? i like the idea I will contribute

well played. i'll pay for that trip, just gotta tag rimas in every point of the trip .

great! I'm the logical person to make the trip as I'm not a sailor, but most certainly could compete the task without even a single tow when will you be sending the plane ticket and expense money?

At least he's currently in a place where his incompetence won't kill him. But no telling how long it will last.

Just stopped by to check. Looks like I needn't bother in the future. Cockroach of the sea moves back ashore with the other roaches and rats.

Well, it's a real idea of mine. I don't have the time nor inclination to be the unfortunate sailor who is chosen.

If someone wants to do it and someone besides me wants to organize it, I'll chip in twenty bucks and the occasional witty or witless comment.

Well, it's a real idea of mine. I don't have the time nor inclination to be the unfortunate sailor who is chosen.

If someone wants to do it and someone besides me wants to organize it, I'll chip in twenty bucks and the occasional witty or witless comment.

I'll do it, actually. I've got a job I can quit anytime and the ability to sail upwind.....

It would be even funnier if we could find a newb who doesn't yet know how to sail upwind.

True, but would anyone have the same luck Rimas does? I think his combination of utter lack of sailing skill and massive luck is close to a miracle.

Do you have the Hazmat suit to allow you to sail the boat without dying from an infectious disease? You might need this even if you only stay on deck.

Maybe a pressure washer with the intake hose in a tanker full of bleach?

Seriously, looks like round trip from Canada toAamerican Samoa is about $2,400.... for that price, I bet we could find someone willing to donate an old boat somewhere in North America with plenty of money left over to stock food, which could trace the "legend's" route. Bets could be placed on whether or not I make it as far as he did, or if he gets ejected from the harbour before I make it to.

I would (seriously) actually do this.

I mean, fuck it, if Rimas can do it with a $500 SJ24 by drifting downwind, I should be able to manage, right? I'm dying not being able to sail up here in Canada right now.

It would be even funnier if we could find a newb who doesn't yet know how to sail upwind.

True, but would anyone have the same luck Rimas does? I think his combination of utter lack of sailing skill and massive luck is close to a miracle.

Do you have the Hazmat suit to allow you to sail the boat without dying from an infectious disease? You might need this even if you only stay on deck.

Seriously, looks like round trip from Canada toAamerican Samoa is about $2,400.... for that price, I bet we could find someone willing to donate an old boat somewhere in North America with plenty of money left over to stock food, which could trace the "legend's" route. Bets could be placed on whether or not I make it as far as he did, or if he gets ejected from the harbour before I make it to.

I mean, fuck it, if Rimas can do it with a $500 SJ24 by drifting downwind, I should be able to manage, right? I'm dying not being able to sail up here in Canada right now.

You could just move to a better part of the country.

You could just move to a better part of the country.

That's the plan, hopefully. I'm working as much as possible and am walking to work and doing everything I can to pay off my student loans asap. After that, BC coast for me!

I don't expect anyone to take my suggestion seriously, haha, but I would do it