Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

5 hours ago, Moderate said:

Brent, Reid Stowe and HotRod a true Ship of Fools

Leave HotRod out of this!

He has become quite sane since he's been in Hawaii. He's pretty much finished up his deuce coupe and it looks great. The island lifestyle suits him.

HotRod got in too deep on an ill-conceived fantasy with basically no way out. At the time of launch he still believed he could make a go of it. By the time he headed out to Monterey he had had multiple system failures and he pretty much knew he was screwed. It just took that big catastrophic step for him to be able to walk away from the mess that was Flyin' Hawaiian and move on to the next phase of his life.

I think he's paid his dues and can be left alone now.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

Things seem to be changing. He is looking for crew again. And now he is talking about scrapping Alaska and sail to Australia. Interesting, he seems adamant that he has to leave by the end of the month. Will he find crew? Will he leave at the end of the month? Which month? What will be his destination? Where will he actually drift to? Stay tuned!

"I am washing  Jim this video again and again so many times I might I cancel to Alaska and continue to Australia direction. But left a little time to thing  I do not thinking  find a crew who can make videos and take a lot of picturea that's for sure  not happens people it's too busy working. Need thinking positively alone. I don't mind alone I did a lot of miles already alone because I love the sea I must, I muxt to departure from Hilo, Hawaii the end of this month, no matter what Jim.

Hello to everyone ! I am looking for crew ! Only need to buy ticket to Hilo, Hawaii I do not asking more, just ticket and passport ! I am leaving the end of the month on of the most exciting voyage , photography, videos and satellite internet this voyage will be for life time in history."

LOL! He wants someone to shoot and edit video so he can get money. I presume dockage is due the first of the month. It doesn't matter where he wants to go, he'll go whichever way is downwind...it's how he rolls. Australia would be pretty funny though...I don't think they'll put up with a freeloader, and there's not a chance of them letting that boat leave. They won't give courtesy tows either.

16 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Leave HotRod out of this!

He has become quite sane since he's been in Hawaii. He's pretty much finished up his deuce coupe and it looks great. The island lifestyle suits him.

HotRod got in too deep on an ill-conceived fantasy with basically no way out. At the time of launch he still believed he could make a go of it. By the time he headed out to Monterey he had had multiple system failures and he pretty much knew he was screwed. It just took that big catastrophic step for him to be able to walk away from the mess that was Flyin' Hawaiian and move on to the next phase of his life.

I think he's paid his dues and can be left alone now.

Glad to hear His Rodness is doing well. My only quibble is that he DID have a way out, could have bailed before he pissed away all his mother's settlement and his son's retirement money. But no, he was bound and fucking determined to prove how much smarter he was than everybody else. Oh well, nobody died, and most of th eboat was biodegradable.

FB- Doug

Same old shit: Coast Guard rescues some silly fuckwad from doing themselves and others great bodily harm out on the ocean.

No difference, Hot Tard.

At least Rimas chose a glass boat, rather than some homemade plywood and Elmer's glue disaster before he set off.

Not even close to the same.

GOrilla, GUErilla.  

HUGE difference!!!!!

59 minutes ago, Moderate said:

Theres a welcoming and inclusive attitude.

The eski crowd iis sending their refugees here, why shouldn't we respond in kind

Moderator, please delete post if it crosses the line into PA.

I would hate to lose this thread, but hipocracy needs to be pointed out

You're replying to the moderator, dumbass.

8 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

Did we stop harassing Hitler after he bombed Pearl Harbor?  No! 

Alternative facts, or public schools?

2 hours ago, RKoch said:
3 hours ago, Moderate said:

Theres a welcoming and inclusive attitude.

The eski crowd iis sending their refugees here, why shouldn't we respond in kind

Moderator, please delete post if it crosses the line into PA.

I would hate to lose this thread, but hipocracy needs to be pointed out

You're replying to the moderator, dumbass.

This guy is a shitposting troll from PA with a personal agenda. I've got him on ignore, so I didn't see this right off.

37 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

This guy is a shitposting troll from PA with a personal agenda. I've got him on ignore, so I didn't see this right off.

give him the boot then !

Just now, bigrpowr said:
38 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

give him the boot then !

Although he's a zero content idiot, we've yet to see him break any actual rules. He did get a warning from another moderator though.

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Although he's a zero content idiot, we've yet to see him break any actual rules. He did get a warning from another moderator though.

He needs a touch of the lash.

6 hours ago, Moderate said:

If HR is in the islands .?...?...

And Rimass needs crew..........?

Better than "in the islands" -- on Hilo!!

But HotRod has given up his seafaring dreams, I'm fairly certain.
He got smacked-down pretty hard and pretty much learned his lesson.

6 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Better than "in the islands" -- on Hilo!!

But HotRod has given up his seafaring dreams, I'm fairly certain.
He got smacked-down pretty hard and pretty much learned his lesson.

He still needs to answer a couple of questions. Like where's lil murray and the Harlisaki?

Well, the end of the month is a week away. Has anyone seen an update on fb of the preparations by Jean and Rimas? Is moderate going to join in with the other gullible enablers? Will he replace the chicken as Rimas's 'companion'?

Leaving at the end of the month turns into leaving at the end of a month, or the end of the year, or the end of Curicane season, or when Sugar Momma's quit paying the moorage.

He is tied up where he has always been at the dock by the fish market. He may appear on Google maps by now. I think it Suisan fish market. It's right at the mouth of that river.

Just untie the lines on a falling tide, staple some sandpaper near the lines and let nature happen. Throw a carton of batteries for the Sat tracker on before he drifts too far.

2 hours ago, Volkeno said:

Leaving at the end of the month turns into leaving at the end of a month, or the end of the year, or the end of Curicane season, or when Sugar Momma's quit paying the moorage.

He is tied up where he has always been at the dock by the fish market. He may appear on Google maps by now. I think it Suisan fish market. It's right at the mouth of that river.

Just untie the lines on a falling tide, staple some sandpaper near the lines and let nature happen. Throw a carton of batteries for the Sat tracker on before he drifts too far.

hilo.thumb.jpg.45f926d9a263cd5ea49ec5c299a63a3a.jpg

Resolution isn't good enough to see the ladder, but it wouldn't surprise me if his starboard side fell off.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Pics from up on the ladder or it didn't happen.

You did climb the ladder, right?

He just perched on the deck and clucked, hoping Rimas would show.

2 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

You saw it here first. Rimas says he's leaving this week. 

24. May, 2017. Hilo port of Hawaii ! Sailing around the world alone ! Soon I am leaving this week.

18582384_789460294546205_792983343913578

And so it begins.........……………………… again 

does he he have a destination in mind?? Where's he most likely to end up? 

Place your bets please?? 

27 minutes ago, mad said:

And so it begins.........……………………… again 

does he he have a destination in mind?? Where's he most likely to end up? 

Place your bets please?? 

He has mentioned both Alaska and Australia as destinations. He'll end up downwind somewhere.

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

The other pose is pretty awesome too. I think that's the head of the sail hanging down at the top of the pic.

18623297_789460301212871_990054332341772

I think he needs a little cunningham on that man.

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I think he needs a little cunningham on that man.

Cunningham?  How 'bout a fucking topping lift?

That boom barely clears the lifelines.  He's gonna get knocked out of the cockpit on the first gybe.

51 minutes ago, Son of a Sailor said:

Does he have a working tracker so that we can follow along?

Yes, he posted previously on FB that the tracker is on board and the day before yesterday he asked his buddy David from London to get hold of Shannon to send the weather reports to it each morning as before.

rimas.jpg

8 hours ago, hobot said:

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Don't worry. He has the ladder in position so if he flounders he can also climb up the ladder to reach the surface and call for help.......

Is it possible to sail with a ladder tied to your mast?

18 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Don't worry. He has the ladder in position so if he flounders he can also climb up the ladder to reach the surface and call for help.......

Is it possible to sail with a ladder tied to your mast?

Ha ha ha! Sail, you said sail!

Are you new here?

4 hours ago, thereefgeek said:

That boom barely clears the lifelines.  He's gonna get knocked out of the cockpit on the first gybe.

No problem... He seldom hoists his main except upside down in the fore triangle.

2 hours ago, ttweed said:

Yes, he posted previously on FB that the tracker is on board and the day before yesterday he asked his buddy David from London to get hold of Shannon to send the weather reports to it each morning as before.

rimas.jpg

I wonder who is arranging and paying for the courtesy tow out the harbor and clear of land. We know Rimas can't sail that.

6 hours ago, thereefgeek said:

If that main is fully hoisted, what's that topping lift gonna do when sheeting in close hauled? 

Wait a sec... This is Rimas...  

Yeah.  Throw in a topping lift shorter than the leech. Shouldn't be a problem. 

28 minutes ago, benwynn said:

If that main is fully hoisted, what's that topping lift gonna do when sheeting in close hauled? 

It's Rimas...might as well scrap the main, boom, topping lift, and halyard, all together. All he needs a aft the mast is a mahi halyard.

1 hour ago, benwynn said:

I guess that's what you get when you get free sails from your Facebook friends (and you don't know what the fuck you're doing).

Close hauled? He's floating on the currents, remember?

Leech, luff, and foot length need not matter when you're drifting "kon tiki".

But that headboard flapping in the breeze would just drive me crazy at night.....

6 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Two questions. 

1. Anyone in Hilo willing to swing by the Mimsey and program a waypoint into the GPS?

2.  Anyone have B.J.'s current coordinates?

:D

Cane we sette Rimas on 'homeng' to #2's cordinattes?       :)

What is the deal with that mainsail? 

I'm about 50-50 thinking he's is going to go or not go.

Looks like that mainsail is about 6 feet too long in the luff. That's why the headboard is hanging down like that. So the halyard is likely tied to a hank, which should last for at least half a day.

Is there a local that actually knows a thing or two about sailing/rigging willing to give the boat a once over? You could take some photos for us while you're at it.

As enjoyable as it is to joke about this guy, it would be upsetting if something easily preventable led to his demise...while we all sat back and just watched it happen. For instance: rig tension, cotter/clevis rings/pins, improperly set sails (that fucking main).

I think the main halyard is broken, and he has a substitute halyard rigged around spreader height. Picture from a year or so ago showed a knot tied in the sail, and it hoisted partway up from that.

Vagrant, many have expressed concern about Rimas's utter lack of sailing ability. A couple of people have offered to give him lessons, which Rimas has steadfastly refused. You can't fix stubborn and stupid.

1 hour ago, AmericanVagrant said:

Is there a local that actually knows a thing or two about sailing/rigging willing to give the boat a once over? You could take some photos for us while you're at it.

As enjoyable as it is to joke about this guy, it would be upsetting if something easily preventable led to his demise...while we all sat back and just watched it happen. For instance: rig tension, cotter/clevis rings/pins, improperly set sails (that fucking main).

start at page 1 , work your way back to this point without skipping  , nuff said . you're a wee bit late.

2 hours ago, AmericanVagrant said:

...while we all sat back and just watched it happen....

Dude, welcome to the party.  What we've all been waiting for the last 4 years is finally about to happen, and you got a front row seat.

Shut up and pop some corn...

Should we start a pool?

4 hours ago, AmericanVagrant said:

Why bother. He needs no help to go drifting.

After the first hour, and after cutting the rig free... Dammit now I'm doing what you did.

Rimas can NOT do anything. He is a Guiness Book of World Records champion of doing NOTHING!

Just sit back and wait for the action to start again. Found Poetry and beautiful picture patterns from his exploits.

What more could you ask for?

Edited by cosmicsedso
to edit
8 hours ago, AmericanVagrant said:

We're not just watching. We've made plans for his buttery ashes.

Just noticed this comment from 16 hours ago on FB.

Rimas Meleshyus Today is my finally departure on long journey and big seas ahead my Dear friend !

I just hope the Delorme and Rimas Adrift are online.

Just did a quick search for the terms: Coast Guard rescue sailboat hilo

Nothing recent came back.

Rimas: an abridged history:  

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

During the three days before he was rescued off the Big Island on Tuesday, sailor Rimas Meleshyus could think of little else than how hungry he was.

"You dream about food, you dream about water," the 64-year-old said. "You cannot imagine no food no water."

Meleshyus made a distress call to the Coast Guard some 11 miles to the northeast of the Big Island. First responders arrived, picked him up, and towed him in.

It's not a surprise, though, that the Russian ex-patriot ran out of food so far from shore. He had set sail from California 46 days prior with limited supplies. "I look in my food, maybe I have less than a month food and 15-gallon water."

Fortunately, Meleshyus began rationing his food and water early on. "Last 15 days maybe I eat only one can. And water I drink very little," he said.

But should he have been sailing at all, especially since this isn't the first time he's needed help on the open seas?

In March, he needed help while sailing off San Francisco.

In 2014, a major search was launched for him when he went missing in the Pacific. Later that year, he had to be towed into harbor in Pago Pago.

And in 2012, he wrecked off the Aleutian Islands. 

Some in the sailing community say he doesn't know how to sail at all -- that he simply drifts with the wind and currents.

When asked about that, Meleshyus was undaunted by the criticism. "I no worry about it. Coast Guard always been good to me. Need to be positive, need to be good, good, good attitude," he said.

Meleshyus says it will take three to four months to fix his boat in Hawaii. After that, he says he's heading to the South Pacific.

9 hours ago, Captain Bligh said:

Should we start a pool?

4 hours ago, Sportboat Jeff said:

HO LEE FUK, he's really going for it!  Sweet.  

I think the pool needs to be where does the wreck end up washing ashore.  Need to have location and number of days as the tie breaker.  

@AmericanVagrant why the hell would you want to help this guy?  As someone said, you can't fix stupid and often the best thing is, since killing it is generally frowned upon in our modern society, to let it self select.   

See post #16634 and #16639....I'm in 

13 hours ago, Nice! said:

Looks like that mainsail is about 6 feet too long in the luff. That's why the headboard is hanging down like that. So the halyard is likely tied to a hank, which should last for at least half a day.

It the sail is really too long, he would be better off using the reef point as opposed to the "hanging head" method. 

What's odd is the sail number position.  This sail was modified from another boat once already. 

3 hours ago, Caferacer59 said:

Rimas: an abridged history:  

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

During the three days before he was rescued off the Big Island on Tuesday, sailor Rimas Meleshyus could think of little else than how hungry he was.

"You dream about food, you dream about water," the 64-year-old said. "You cannot imagine no food no water."

Meleshyus made a distress call to the Coast Guard some 11 miles to the northeast of the Big Island. First responders arrived, picked him up, and towed him in.

It's not a surprise, though, that the Russian ex-patriot ran out of food so far from shore. He had set sail from California 46 days prior with limited supplies. "I look in my food, maybe I have less than a month food and 15-gallon water."

Fortunately, Meleshyus began rationing his food and water early on. "Last 15 days maybe I eat only one can. And water I drink very little," he said.

But should he have been sailing at all, especially since this isn't the first time he's needed help on the open seas?

In March, he needed help while sailing off San Francisco.

In 2014, a major search was launched for him when he went missing in the Pacific. Later that year, he had to be towed into harbor in Pago Pago.

And in 2012, he wrecked off the Aleutian Islands. 

Some in the sailing community say he doesn't know how to sail at all -- that he simply drifts with the wind and currents.

When asked about that, Meleshyus was undaunted by the criticism. "I no worry about it. Coast Guard always been good to me. Need to be positive, need to be good, good, good attitude," he said.

Meleshyus says it will take three to four months to fix his boat in Hawaii. After that, he says he's heading to the South Pacific.

That's just the latest chapter in this ridiculous saga.  The whole thing began with him somehow managing to impale a San Juan 24 on a beach in Alaska while allegedly on a voyage to Japan to visit some woman IIRC.  The photo of the SJ 24 on the beach has to be seen to be believed - no normal sailor could replicate that in several life times.

From those humble beginnings he has gone through several excursions and several boats.

The worst thing about this clown is he always relies on the CG or other emergency unit to get towed in

I still suspect the "no food or water for 3 days" thing was just a ploy to get a free tow. 

"The worst thing about this clown is he always relies on the CG or other emergency unit to get towed in"

Exactly why all signaling and communications equipment should be removed before he departs. Let him find his own way and not tie up resources that may be used to help someone who isn't a repeat rescue.

15 hours ago, Nice! said:

If I remember correctly, when he arrived in Hilo his main halyard was jammed or broken. Someone who had sailed into Hilo later said that Rimas was rigging or using another line like a spinnaker pole topping lift part way up the mast to hoist a mainsail. I ask him on FB many months ago about his main halyard issue and recieved a lecture about why he did not need a mainsail for his Kon Tiki style sailing.

7 hours ago, Sportboat Jeff said:

I'm sorry for sounding ignorant, but just who exactly is this Jean character and what are his ties to Rimas? I know generally he's the enabler and helped him get his two boats and provisions and I generally know Jean's involvement in getting Rimas going.  But what I'm getting at is how did this all begin?  Did they know each other before?  How did Jean get involved in the first place and why does he keep shelling out money?  Is Jean some rich entrepreneur silicon valley mogul who took pity on Capt Grifter?

My only conclusion is Jean took a massive life insurance policy on Rimas and he keeps sending him out to sea by himself assuming that he will disappear.  If that is the case, I would have thought that was a sure bet.  But somehow the ocean gods have thwarted that little plan.  Maybe jean is working on the "Sunk Cost" fallacy and is throwing good money after bad desperately hoping for his payday.  I mean seriously how many times can Rimas avoid his inevitable fate if he keeps going to sea???  Darwin will not be denied his due.

Short version:

Jean met Rimas in Guam (I think) where Jean was in the service and Rimas a Japanese-Russian translator. I think it was late 80s. They lost track of each other until a few years ago when Rimas lawn-darted his first San Juan 24 in Alaska and had to be rescued. Jean read the story, reconnected with Rimas, and helped him acquire another boat and fix it up. Jean provides all the money for parts and does all the work....Rimas refuses to contribute money or labor towards his own voyages. Jean has offered (begged even) to teach Rimas how to sail, but he stubbornly refuses. It's a rather bizarre and dysfunctional  relationship between the two.

The other main enabler is Shannon, who started this thread. He set up Rimas's GoFundMe page, fb page, and sought publicity for Rimas. He bought the DeLorme tracker, and pays its activation fees when Rimas is adrift.

On 5/25/2017 at 5:31 AM, thereefgeek said:

Ha Ha Ha you said gybe.  This is Reamus.

You must be new here.

Credit to Anonymous #16654

4 minutes ago, Great White said:

If I remember correctly, when he arrived in Hilo his main halyard was jammed or broken. Someone who had sailed into Hilo later said that Rimas was rigging or using another line like a spinnaker pole topping lift part way up the mast to hoist a mainsail. I ask him on FB many months ago about his main halyard issue and recieved a lecture about why he did not need a mainsail for his Kon Tiki style sailing.

I suspect that at some point early in his sailing 'career' Rimas got hit by the boom, and since then is afraid to use his mainsail. He's perfectly content to drift along averaging 1.3 knots, although reluctance to use the main limits him from sailing upwind or rigging self-steering. He usually just drops the sails at night.

5 hours ago, madohe said:

See post #16634 and #16639....I'm in 

I got a crisp Andrew Jackson says he makes it 100 miles off Hilo and call the CG for a tow back into harbor.

If that doesn't happen, I got another Andy says he FINALLY just fucking disappears somewhere between Hilo and Sydney (that boom looks like a headhunter to me).

The boat of course will survive despite Rimas' best efforts, and eventually be torpedoed (not unlike that goofy Rebal Heart family) by whichever governing entity deems it an abandoned navigational hazard.