Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

8 hours ago, RKoch said:

Made about 3 miles in past 6 hours. Interestingly, he seems to have been set to the east a bit. 

https://www.windy.com/5.400/-154.659?4.776,-154.659,8

Back the clock up a bit with the slider.  He goes where the wind blows.

And by the forecast, he will be doing at least one full circle before continuing on his course SW on Thursday or Friday.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Sportboat Jeff said:

This is the longest snuff film in history!

.....the grate grate snuff comedy.  :mellow:

3 hours ago, benwynn said:

https://www.windy.com/5.400/-154.659?4.776,-154.659,8

Back the clock up a bit with the slider.  He goes where the wind blows.

And by the forecast, he will be doing at least one full circle before continuing on his course SW on Thursday or Friday.

...interesting,,, there seems to be a whole arm of science devoted to predicting Rimas trajectory around the oceans.  Apparently,, if he were a fully submersed piece of plastic, he would be on his way to Japan.  

https://earthscience.stackexchange.com/questions/761/what-are-some-options-for-online-and-offline-particle-tracking-in-ocean-models

21 hours ago, RKoch said:

I speak Rimas.

Get to work:

"To southwdst sajljg and ljght wjndd hello to julia irom irace of njce. Hot really today. All the best. I like it ocean dearly"

June 12, 2017 20:58:45 GMT
4.6704°N, 154.8205°

2 minutes ago, benwynn said:

Get to work:

"To southwdst sajljg and ljght wjndd hello to julia irom irace of njce. Hot really today. All the best. I like it ocean dearly"

June 12, 2017 20:58:45 GMT
4.6704°N, 154.8205°

I am sailing to the Southwest, and the wind is light. Hello to Julia, from Nice, France. It's really hot today. All the best (to you). I like the ocean dearly (but the opportunities for grifting are low, so I can't wait to get to American Samoa).

8 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I am sailing to the Southwest, and the wind is light. Hello to Julia, from Nice, France. It's really hot today. All the best (to you). I like the ocean dearly (but the opportunities for grifting are low, so I can't wait to get to American Samoa).

Damn. You are good.

that's a good one.

...seems vision isn't such an issue now,, back to regular Rimaspeak.  

Rimas
Jun 12, 20176:07:00 PM    
Slow day nar equater. Hopping lor the better when was in hawaii islands i met a lot or people hello so all see you soou internet satellite 
Speed: 0.62 mph Course: S
Elevation: 34.32 ft. Batt: Low
Lat: 4.631316 Lon: -154.874075
On 2017-6-7 at 1:56 AM, couchsurfer said:

..c'mon facktards,,, get with the plot!   Rimass is starting to feel back 'at home' on the water,,

grandiose statements beginning to flowwww.....

Rimas
Jun 5, 201710:45:45 AM
Around the world alone 
Speed: 2.49 mph Course: SE

Couch, are you converting GMT time stamps into somewhere local. Appreciate all that are re posting from wastebook with updates, but hard to follow any time zone except GMT. 

9 hours ago, HILLY said:

Couch, are you converting GMT time stamps into somewhere local. Appreciate all that are re posting from wastebook with updates, but hard to follow any time zone except GMT. 

..Umm, most people lose the Rimasplot looooong before the timezones come into play.:lol:

...not convertin anything.... just copy,pastin what's on the tracker page....   https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus

On 6/11/2017 at 4:59 PM, Bull City said:

Cjg problem? If "j" is used for "i", does Rimas have a "Cig" problem? As in out of cigarettes? Didn't know he was a smoker.

He is allegedly a nonsmoker and teetotaller.

Just to pass the time, has anyone managed to unearth any press about his trek across Canada??  I think it was debunked a while ago but something just flashed in my brain... 

4 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Just to pass the time, has anyone managed to unearth any press about his trek across Canada??  I think it was debunked a while ago but something just flashed in my brain... 

ahh, the bag o' rice adventure...

just when I was trying to find out what a Mahi Mahi cocktail was...

Mahi Mahi Adult Drink
  • A Sparkling Apple drink with a twist of Lime. COURSE:MIXERSMAKES:3 SERVINGS.
  • Ingredients. 1 cup frozen lime juice2 cups Appletiser6 tablespoons grenadine syrup.
  • Method. Add frozen lime juice, Appletiser, and grenadine and 6 oz Sochi vodka to blender.
  • Blend for 1 minute. Serve "at the mast" with a toast.

So... scurvy...

When it was common on long ocean voyages, crews would get pretty wiped out by scurvy. One of the many symptoms is a debilitating tiredness and weakness. Any exertion could result in a worsening of symptoms all the way to death. 

It was not uncommon for ships to make landfall with pretty much the entire crew just barely hanging on to life. Ship's discipline would lapse as sailors made their way to shore and fall, literally, face down in the grass which they ate like cattle eat. Sails were left unfurled and the ship in general disarray as the complement regained their strength. After a few days, the mate would muster the crew, take them back to the ship, clean everything up and restore ship's discipline.

Rimas's aversion to work can be understood in this light.

Rimas
Jun 7, 20173:37 PM

Good morning from greatest sailing boat Missy. I begin sailing again.

No mis-spelling here other than the boat name,,,,,,, as the days have continued so has his mis-spelling. Your guess is as good as mine as to what's up. Maybe his glasses broke or got lost... maybe too dizzy to see straight inside the boat
20 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:
Rimas
Jun 7, 20173:37 PM

Good morning from greatest sailing boat Missy. I begin sailing again.

No mis-spelling here other than the boat name,,,,,,, as the days have continued so has his mis-spelling. Your guess is as good as mine as to what's up. Maybe his glasses broke or got lost... maybe too dizzy to see straight inside the boat

Maybe it's not Reamus.

.....major Tom,,,

......backing off from 'great great' dialogue,, as he asks for directions, without his glasses on. :blink:.......  

Rimas
Jun 13, 201710:17:00 AM 
Let you know where coordinates no w. How lar lrom equater. 
Speed: 0.62 mph Course: SSW
Elevation: 1.05 ft. Batt: Low
Lat: 4.451791 Lon: -155.143711

Aloha to you friends from the sea (is he addressing the MahiMahi?). Will be (a) long time to cross the calms. Believe it me slow (yes, we believe you're slow). Very hello to Pikei (who is probably an elderly female fb fan).

On 11/06/2017 at 7:49 PM, Somebody Else said:

Plus, you know, years of reading Snaggletooth and Da Woody...

Snags is pretty easy to work out...... Woody on the other hand, is in a gibberish league of own sometimes. 

Okay, so how on earth is he surviving the heat on that boat. He cannot be sitting out in the sun at the tiller all day can he?  Do we imagine he is actually trying to make the boat point towards Kiritimati, as appears from his track, or is he pointing it towards Alaska and drifting the other way as proposed earlier, or is he doing nothing and this is truly the driftathon many believe.

42 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

He cannot be sitting out in the sun at the tiller all day can he?  Do we imagine he is actually trying to make the boat point towards Kiritimati, as appears from his track, or is he pointing it towards Alaska and drifting the other way as proposed earlier, or is he doing nothing and this is truly the driftathon many believe.

Yes to all.

Someone showed him sheet-to-tiller a long ways back in the saga. Of course, there is the need for minor, irritating adjustment and a formidable bungee collection is required.

Then it is bedtime and sails down.

....tell us whatcha really think! :unsure:

Rimas
Jun 14, 20171:36:30 PM

Tae ft a lot of pictures and videos i love to be at sea all the time snper awesome. All the best 

Rimas
Jun 14, 201710:05:15 PM

Slow sailig it was hot today good night my dear who all on page 
Speed: 1.87 mph Course: SSW
Elevation: 21.00 ft. Batt: Normal
Lat: 4.074146 Lon: -155.486820
Locate
▼ LESS ▼

Speed: 1.24 mph Course: SSE
Elevation: 7.71 ft. Batt: Normal
Lat: 4.221936 Lon: -155.465318
4 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Okay, so how on earth is he surviving the heat on that boat. He cannot be sitting out in the sun at the tiller all day can he?  Do we imagine he is actually trying to make the boat point towards Kiritimati, as appears from his track, or is he pointing it towards Alaska and drifting the other way as proposed earlier, or is he doing nothing and this is truly the driftathon many believe.

I missed the idea that he's pointing toward Alaska and drifting backward but it's the funniest one in a while.

4 hours ago, TheDragon said:

" ... the driftathon many believe."

To be fair, the only folks who really and truly believe this is a driftathon are ... wait for it: THE FOLKS WHO HAVE READ AND FOLLOWED THE THREAD.  

What you captains-come-lately don't get is that this idiot has done this exact same thing several times, being rescued or towed each and every fucking time, for a total of, IIRC, more than 5,000 miles over several years, including this exact, more or less, same track 2 or so years ago when he was towed into AM Samoa after unsuccessfully attempting to sail a short distance upwind. He survived the heat then, as now. His previous boats, both SJ24s, were arguably much less comfortable than his current 30ftr. He didn't have a main the last time and it appeared that the jib was hoisted upside down. Kinda. Sorta.

All the other posts that make little or no sense to YOU, sir, are references to the many (17,200 and counting) posts that refer to earlier voyages or other foibles of Rimas, the cockroach of the sea.

He is ultimately one tough albeit stupid motherfucker or simply crazy as many of us believe.

A look in the minds of those involved in the inevitable tow in.

Tow Givers: We rescued this poor man from an almost certain death at sea. We are heroes.

Rimas: Another leg of my record breaking round the world trip completed. These people are towing in a hero.

Everybody wins!

4 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Someone showed him sheet-to-tiller a long ways back in the saga. Of course, there is the need for minor, irritating adjustment and a formidable bungee collection is required.

Then it is bedtime and sails down.

IIRC, he was shown sheet to tiller and couldn't make it work. I think I remember seeing a tiller tamer-like thingy setup with a line on the tiller centred between the cleats.

4 minutes ago, aloha27 said:

IIRC, he was shown and couldn't make it work. I think I remember seeing a tiller tamer-like thingy setup with a line on the tiller centred between the cleats.

I realized you were right when you used the word work...

3 hours ago, tatters said:

Does Kiritimati offer free towing services for visiting tourists?

On Rimas previous drift, he started complaining about running out of food about the time he crossed the Equator. Jean arranged a care package of food and charts and sent it to Kiritimati. He also arranged a tow with the harbor master to tow him into the lagoon. But Rimas sailed past the island, a couple miles to the north and kept going to Pago Pago. 

25 minutes ago, Great White said:

On Rimas previous drift, he started complaining about running out of food about the time he crossed the Equator. Jean arranged a care package of food and charts and sent it to Kiritimati. He also arranged a tow with the harbor master to tow him into the lagoon. But Rimas sailed past the island, a couple miles to the north and kept going to Pago Pago. 

This is Rimas we're talking about. His interpretation of English is, to be generous, "creative."

When Rimas communicates he is "running out of food" it could mean anything from "I've almost finished my dinner tonight," to "food coming out of mouth" (chunder) or "I'm down to the last case of my favorite Danish butter cookies." Plus, you know, there's that whole lying and exaggeration thing he's got goin' on.

The real entertainment lies with his photos once he is towed into somewhere and he finds a Starbucks or free internet.

The steely heroic stares, the dead fish, the food shots, the latest fashion statements and rigging methods.

Then there's the whole bizarre world of woo woo weirdo fans posting their adoration for him on the photos he posts on FB.

44 minutes ago, Great White said:

12 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

This is Rimas we're talking about. His interpretation of English is, to be generous, "creative."

When Rimas communicates he is "running out of food" it could mean anything from "I've almost finished my dinner tonight," to "food coming out of mouth" (chunder) or "I'm down to the last case of my favorite Danish butter cookies." Plus, you know, there's that whole lying and exaggeration thing he's got goin' on.

And you are right. Not long after those posts about running out of food, he found enough in a locker he had not looked in. Similar with sails. IIRC, he was complaining about his sail all ripping apart and than magically, he found some more in the boat.

I think Rimas has so many fans because he's an inspiration, sort of in the same way as Forrest Gump.

Think about it: he's nearly totally incompetent, with no seamanship skills, boat ownership skills, or even life skills. He has no money, isn't very smart, and is mocked relentlessly by other people. He can barely speak english and can't even hoist a sail correctly, much less head to windward.

Yet despite that he's managed to sail drift thousands of miles on the open ocean, has been to many different tropical paradises and other beautiful locales, and has a network of caring people who help and facilitate his journey. Say what you will about his "benefactors", but it's a touch inspiring that the good graces of kind people allow someone like Rimas to do what he does. If Rimas can be an ocean voyager, almost anyone can.

15 minutes ago, Commercial Boater said:

I think Rimas has so many fans because he's an inspiration, sort of in the same way as Forrest Gump.

Think about it: he's nearly totally incompetent, with no seamanship skills, boat ownership skills, or even life skills. He has no money, isn't very smart, and is mocked relentlessly by other people. He can barely speak english and can't even hoist a sail correctly, much less head to windward.

Yet despite that he's managed to sail drift thousands of miles on the open ocean, has been to many different tropical paradises and other beautiful locales, and has a network of caring people who help and facilitate his journey. Say what you will about his "benefactors", but it's a touch inspiring that the good graces of kind people allow someone like Rimas to do what he does. If Rimas can be an ocean voyager, almost anyone can.

That's the thing...Rimas should NOT be an inspiration. The last thing the South Pacific needs is 500 Rimas wanna-bes showing up, demanding courtesy tows and rescues, and expecting free room and food from the islanders. That would only serve to make all cruisers unwelcome.

Not to mention, Rimas has been extremely lucky he hasn't killed himself yet. That level of ignorance, poor preparation, and poor seamanship shouldn't be encouraged.

52 minutes ago, RKoch said:

That's the thing...Rimas should NOT be an inspiration. The last thing the South Pacific needs is 500 Rimas wanna-bes showing up, demanding courtesy tows and rescues, and expecting free room and food from the islanders. That would only serve to make all cruisers unwelcome.

Not to mention, Rimas has been extremely lucky he hasn't killed himself yet. That level of ignorance, poor preparation, and poor seamanship shouldn't be encouraged.

Rimas is some sort of idiot savant, it's as if he were able to walk between rain drops.

In his case he drifts in between tows and somehow lives on to create a form of primitive poetry.

1 hour ago, Commercial Boater said:

I'm not sure I agree with the "almost" there at the end.

I think the Bumfuzzle couple aggravated people by proving that anyone can do it. Rimas takes that to a whole new level. It turns out that absolutely no level of seamanship skill is necessary to be a world voyager. And a relentlessly happy one too.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I think the Bumfuzzle couple aggravated people by proving that anyone can do it. Rimas takes that to a whole new level. It turns out that absolutely no level of seamanship skill is necessary to be a world voyager. And a relentlessly happy one too.

you are assuming Rimas is happy. I have my doubts about that.

He reminds me of people i have met with maybe dementia that seem fine sometimes but can't do much of anything because they can't remember what it was they were doing or how to go about it if they do remember. Like Rimas they can't work or do much of anything even simple things like cleaning. You can get them to start doing things like maybe scrubbing the deck but they either forget what they are doing and wander off or they keep scrubbing the same spot never moving.

11 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Is there not a difference between world voyaging and world floating? Seems to me that Rimas simply floats wherever the currents may take him. I would guess a sailboat is a pretty good choice for floating around. Being more hydrodynamic than a power boat. Plus the illusion of sailing.

Then again, I am new to the "Rimas Watch" group.

"Stragling with calms usemmes squlls only honr. Min calms honrs"
June 15, 2017 20:15:15 GMT
3.8858°N, 155.4904°W

It's progressively more difficult to understand him.   Sometimes a heartfelt sympathy starts creeping in for me, and this is one of those times.

20 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

To be fair, the only folks who really and truly believe this is a driftathon are ... wait for it: THE FOLKS WHO HAVE READ AND FOLLOWED THE THREAD.  

What you captains-come-lately don't get is that this idiot has done this exact same thing several times, being rescued or towed each and every fucking time, for a total of, IIRC, more than 5,000 miles over several years, including this exact, more or less, same track 2 or so years ago when he was towed into AM Samoa after unsuccessfully attempting to sail a short distance upwind. He survived the heat then, as now. His previous boats, both SJ24s, were arguably much less comfortable than his current 30ftr. He didn't have a main the last time and it appeared that the jib was hoisted upside down. Kinda. Sorta.

All the other posts that make little or no sense to YOU, sir, are references to the many (17,200 and counting) posts that refer to earlier voyages or other foibles of Rimas, the cockroach of the sea.

He is ultimately one tough albeit stupid motherfucker or simply crazy as many of us believe.

Dude, I've been here five years longer than you and been along for the ride for this entire thread as it evolved, and the Reid sailing/driftathon started by Motorcycle before that. I'm completely familiar with the story, I just continue to struggle to understand exactly what is happening on that boat. I don't think I am alone.

4 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Dude, I've been here five years longer than you and been along for the ride for this entire thread as it evolved, and the Reid sailing/driftathon started by Motorcycle before that. I'm completely familiar with the story, I just continue to struggle to understand exactly what is happening on that boat. I don't think I am alone.

Only a noob could think there's a reasonable explanation.

11 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Dude, I've been here five years longer than you and been along for the ride for this entire thread as it Devolved, and the Reid sailing/driftathon started by Motorcycle before that. I'm completely familiar with the story, I just continue to struggle to understand exactly what is happening on that boat. I don't think I am alone.

fixerated for accuracy. :mellow:

29 minutes ago, benwynn said:

That rate puts him about three weeks from a reasonable towing distance to Kiribati.

Apology for nit-picking, but he's already in Kiribati. That is an island republic stretching across a swath of Pacific, which includes the Gilbert Islands, Phoenix Islands, and Line Islands.

You probably are referring to Kiritimati, which is an Island in the Line Islands group, and is part of the Republic of Kiribati. In Gilbertese, "ti" is "s"....Kiritimati is the island known as Christmas Island. By rough guess, Rimas is about 165 miles from Kiritimati, which is SW of him (1deg52min N, 157deg24minW). He's been sailing generally due S, IDK exactly how much he might get set W by current. If he sailed for Kiritimati, he might be within towing distance in 6 days, + or -. If he continues South, he'll pass about 120 miles E of Kiritimati.

10 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Only a noob could think there's a reasonable explanation.

True, there is no rational explanation for Rimas. All that can be accurately predicted is that he won't ever sail upwind, and he won't lift a finger  to do work even if it's to his own benefit.

27 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

I'm completely familiar with the story, I just continue to struggle to understand exactly what is happening on that boat. I don't think I am alone.

I agree. I've been here since the beginning (and thru Reid and Hotrod.)

• The sun comes up and Rimas wakes up from his peaceful or fitful sleep, we don't know which.
  • How many minutes or hours pass before he decides to set some sail?
  • What is he doing in the mean time between waking and raising sail?
  • Once some semblance of sail is up by whatever means he can dream up on the spot, what does he do now?

In my imagination, he just sits in the cockpit with that thousand-yard-stare, gazing off into the void, mind as blank as a cucumber.

But that's just my imagination. Nobody knows "exactly what is happening on that boat." At best, it's casual forensics based on the few snippets of evidence we get. This is why this thread tends to latch onto a concept (masturbation, dead fish torture, rotten oatmeal, etc.) and replay it in ever-changing variations.

Like RKoch says, we know only a handful of facts about Rimas: he won't ever sail upwind, and he won't lift a finger to do work. I'll add to that: He enjoys bragging about himself and he begs everyone who will listen for money, boat stuff, and/or manual labor.

Just now, Somebody Else said:

I agree. I've been here since the beginning (and thru Reid and Hotrod.)

• The sun comes up and Rimas wakes up from his peaceful or fitful sleep, we don't know which.
  • How many minutes or hours pass before he decides to set some sail?
  • What is he doing in the mean time between waking and raising sail?
  • Once some semblance of sail is up by whatever means he can dream up on the spot, what does he do now?

In my imagination, he just sits in the cockpit with that thousand-yard-stare, gazing off into the void, mind as blank as a cucumber.

But that's just my imagination. Nobody knows "exactly what is happening on that boat." At best, it's casual forensics based on the few snippets of evidence we get. This is why this thread tends to latch onto a concept (masturbation, dead fish torture, rotten oatmeal, etc.) and replay it in ever-changing variations.

Like RKoch says, know only a handful of facts about Rimas: he won't ever sail upwind, and he won't lift a finger to do work. I'll add to that: He enjoys bragging about himself and he begs everyone who will listen for money, boat stuff, or manual labor.

Spot on. When he's awake and 'sailing' I think he just zones out with his mind blank, until it pops into his mind to send a DeLorme message.

21 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

maslow's hierarchy of needs five stage pyramide Rimas occupies the lowest rung on Maslows theorum 

20 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

He obviously has "Esteem needs:"

Jeeze, just ask him! For a Starbucks card, he'll natter on until your ears fall off about all his heroic accomplishments.

...and will do so for as long as it keeps workin.... why change a 'winning' game!? :mellow: 

42 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Apology for nit-picking, but he's already in Kiribati. That is an island republic stretching across a swath of Pacific, which includes the Gilbert Islands, Phoenix Islands, and Line Islands.

You probably are referring to Kiritimati, which is an Island in the Line Islands group, and is part of the Republic of Kiribati. In Gilbertese, "ti" is "s"....Kiritimati is the island known as Christmas Island. By rough guess, Rimas is about 165 miles from Kiritimati, which is SW of him (1deg52min N, 157deg24minW). He's been sailing generally due S, IDK exactly how much he might get set W by current. If he sailed for Kiritimati, he might be within towing distance in 6 days, + or -. If he continues South, he'll pass about 120 miles E of Kiritimati.

Yes, Kiritimati is what I was referring to. By your latest figures, he's doing about .8 kts.  If consistent, that does put him in the vicinity of 6 days.  Interestingly, I screwed up a very basic calculation, but given this is Rimas I sorta just saw three weeks as reasonable.  Didn't even question it. 

And now that I think of it, he has blown even the most conservative estimates I have made so far, he may very well be three weeks out. 

28 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Does he still simply drop his sails when he goes to sleep at night?  i doubt he ever learned to heave to.

Sometimes he drops his sails, sometimes not. His sail trim...sometimes he sheets to windward, sometimes he sheets to leeward, sometimes he hoists the sails upside down. It's all pretty random, and he likely can't tell the difference. So, if he's ever actually 'hove to' it's probably by sheer accident. 

30 minutes ago, benwynn said:

Yes, Kiritimati is what I was referring to. By your latest figures, he's doing about .8 kts.  If consistent, that does put him in the vicinity of 6 days.  Interestingly, I screwed up a very basic calculation, but given this is Rimas I sorta just saw three weeks as reasonable.  Didn't even question it. 

And now that I think of it, he has blown even the most conservative estimates I have made so far, he may very well be three weeks out. 

Yes...he may get tired of the work of sailing, drop his sails, and just float around for a while. Could be a couple weeks.