Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Can you imagine the physical misery of drifting along in the doldrums on a small boat with shit sails, no shade on deck, and dwindling water supply? 

Beats the piss out of curling up under a bridge in pouring rain.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

11 hours ago, woolly said:

Thanks for the insight.  Pretty well sums up what I'd figured out from 12000 miles away.  I'm surprised you let your kids play in the boat.  Did they have to get fumigated/boiled in bleach/soaked in acid/inoculated afterwards? 

Are you NUTS?

These kids could now be immune to any superbug that could ever threaten mankind!

They could very well ensure the survival of the species.

7 hours ago, woolly said:

He purports to be Latvian, which is quite a different language to Russian, so if he does speak Russian, he will do it as he does everything else - badly.

His last name supports this Latvian idea, and they had to learn Russian in school...

7 hours ago, axolotl said:

Rimas is not on welfare,  he collects Social Security, which is a retirement entitlement program paid for by the recipient through payroll deductions during one's working career.  You receive monthly checks whether in the US or abroad for the rest of your life.  So Rimas's multi month sea voyages result in a nice little nest egg in his bank account greeting him when he hits shore, assuming there's a bank or ATM available.

By implication, if he's collecting SS he's paid into it at some point by actually holding a job for a period and paying in. Or he's disabled. The latter seems more likely...

8 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

By implication, if he's collecting SS he's paid into it at some point by actually holding a job for a period and paying in. Or he's disabled. The latter seems more likely...

When he was living in SF with the Japanese gf he supposedly had a job washing dishes. She lost her job and had to return to Japan, that's when he got the first SJ and attempted to sail to Japan and hook up with her again, but wrecked in Alaska. I think earlier he briefly had a job at a NYC hotel, as a porter or doorman. But AFAIK he's not held any long-term job. He may have done just enough quarters of work to qualify for minimum level of SS. If disabled, he could have collected SS before 65, IIRC.

24 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Rimas was on a political asylum stipend of some sort. I wonder if that "income" counts toward SS retirement? If it does, maybe he hasn't ever worked in usa.

18 minutes ago, Dex Sawash said:

Rimas was on a political asylum stipend of some sort. I wonder if that "income" counts toward SS retirement? If it does, maybe he hasn't ever worked in usa.

I doubt that's the case. He had no income before filing to collect SS at 65. He collects the bare minimum, $360 or so per month.

You missed the big storm report. 

His tracker arrow points directly at Am Samoa which means he miscalculates for current again, like groundhog day all over.

" This it was biggest storm for five min cutoof jib line where shannon donated in hilo hawaii. Also damhge to main sail too was strong sqeall "

https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus

• Ocean almost flat because its cloudy possible rain coing soon. No birds flying this morning its so amozing. Hello to hawaii islands my all friends from hawaii
    • June 27, 2017 18:11:45 GMT
    • 1.9379°S, 158.0906°W
  • Greetings from the south pacific. Oday claudy the wind two miles per hour
    • June 27, 2017 17:15:15 GMT
    • 1.9132°S, 158.0756°W
  • Sunset absolutely spactular so much beutyu on the ocean thats why i live the sea dearly
    • June 27, 2017 04:40:30 GMT
    • 1.6273°S, 157.8519°W
  • Dinner is ready i am going to enjoy i just done to cooking. I made it today good progress for now i want to good night sweet dreams
    • June 27, 2017 04:12:45 GMT
    • 1.6063°S, 157.8437°W
  • I am traying to get a fihs but no luck this time. I was abont five hours my fishing line
    • June 27, 2017 01:44:30 GMT
    • 1.4986°S, 157.8005°W

Hmm... the calm before the storm and fishing.

I wonder what it's like to be incapable of boredom?

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

When he was living in SF with the Japanese gf he supposedly had a job washing dishes. She lost her job and had to return to Japan, that's when he got the first SJ and attempted to sail to Japan and hook up with her again, but wrecked in Alaska. I think earlier he briefly had a job at a NYC hotel, as a porter or doorman. But AFAIK he's not held any long-term job. He may have done just enough quarters of work to qualify for minimum level of SS. If disabled, he could have collected SS before 65, IIRC.

Don't you have to have an ability in the first place, before you can become DISabled?

FB- Doug

11 minutes ago, Moderate said:

19 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Don't you have to have an ability in the first place, before you can become DISabled?

Well played

Thanks, but this whole thing has me thinking. If Rimas can succeed, either he is extraordinarily lucky, or my neighbor's cat could sail a boat from Hawaii to Am Samoa. The Alaska keel-plant thing was just too weird.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Volkeno said:

So a squall came up and he failed to notice or reduce sail and his rig and/or sail was damaged. How special! You have to wonder how he survived to be old enough to get social security.

There are far more bad sailors than there are bad boats.

1 minute ago, Moderate said:

Remember the Bumfuzzles ? That shit made me laugh.

They were well spoken but damn near as dumb as Rimas. The armchair cruisers were livid wiht indignation. 

Fuckin gold there

Normally I would say it's cruel to laugh at those less fortunate, but the Bumfuzzles were asking for it. Clueless and arrogant, a combination not found in Nature but unfortunately produced too often by Society. And I did learn something from it, I learned about Mommy-Bloggers.  If I were a single man..............

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Volkeno said:

So a squall came up and he failed to notice or reduce sail and his rig and/or sail was damaged. How special! You have to wonder how he survived to be old enough to get social security.

His previous comment was it was getting cloudy and looked like rain. Didn't seem to occur to him it might blow.

This old man is Keyser Söze and this thread continues to perpetuate the myth, nay, embellish it.

His Japanese girlfriend got deported?  

Now I know you're full of shit.

NO ONE (unfortunately) EVER gets deported from California.

This is what I gleaned from a conversation with Rimas: 

1) His folks were sent to internal exile from Latvia/Estonia during/before WWII to some god forsaken hell hole in One of the 'stans

2) He was a smart little lad and ended up attending the prestigious Moscow Translators school where he learned to translate Japanese. 

3) he told me he did work as a official translator in Soviet Russia

On 2017-06-26 at 10:41 PM, Great White said:

AFAIK, the expression is "happy as a clam at high tide". Think about it, a high tide prevents most people from digging it up. But here in the PNW, we have a species of large clam called a geoduck (gooey duck). It is harvested commercially by divers in 30 ft of water by blasting them out of the mud with water jets. Not much for them to be happy.

The ONE thing I am envious of in Vancouver was the incredible seafood.  That could be had for cheap.  I've had incredible seafood, I've had incredibly cheap seafood.  But you PNW bastards have the market cornered in the world, on incredible cheap seafood.

No joke a few years ago you could buy live Gooey ducks at a Safeway in Vancouver.  And at the real restaurants downtown, the most incredible Gooey Duck Crudo on the menu was 1/2 what an Albertan Ribeye costs.

Fucking bastards.

22 hours ago, Invincible extremes said:

Well... I read this entire thread (some good reading btw) and figured you guys would enjoy some input from someone who actually knows Rimas in person, and has been on the Mimsey while it was in Hilo bay... oh and also speaks Russian.  Let me tell ya, if you guys think his English is bad...  well, let's just say he is anything but russian.   He claims to speak 7 languages, and I'm guessing all equally badly... or worse.

Now that's not to say I hate the guy, I lived right across the gravel road here in Hawaii from him, and he really is a friendly guy.  And he really has traveled quite a bit.  Hardly any on boat of course, but he is your average wide eyed socially awkward drifter kind of guy.  I can attest to him not drinking, or smoking btw.  Oh, and I almost forgot, he is practically blind now from staring at the horizon last time he was in the doldrums he says...

He tried to sell me his boat... which being a donated boat and him not paying his mooring for over a year THAT wasn't going to happen.  But it would've made for a cool playhouse for the kids parked on my property on dry land in hawaii...  just not at his wishful thinking price of $2,500...  especially cause I knew there was over $4,000 hanging over the boat in debt and the boat itself was free...

Now about that debt, he told all of us here on the island that his debt was forgiven so long as he left.  

I drive by where the Mimsey was docked and it really is gone if anyone had any doubts.

My overall impression of the guy?  Professional begger... not that he's good at it.... just that it is what his chosen "profession" is...  I had no problem dropping the guy off at the local Starbucks while I went grocery shopping, talking story with him was interesting to say the least as well.  Kids loved his boat of course, it's what kids do.

BUT I wasn't dumb enough to actually give him any money, and when he started asking me if I knew someone who could fix his boat I simply ignored him.  Kinda busy working to feed my kids, I don't have time for that nonesense.

Could I have rigged up some sort of outboard motor or repaired something on his boat on my own dime?  Of course, but he isn't the kind of guy who really appreciated that kind of thing.... so it would be like a fart in the wind, except a costly one.

Oh and YES, he is indeed 100% full of himself.   It's almost inspirational how much he believes in himself.  But as its been mentioned before he refuses to LEARN or take advice from people who actually know what the hell they are doing... which may cost him dearly very soon as we are all well aware.

I actually suggested to him that he start a YouTube channel, and that way his wacky story will pat for itself.  1 million views is worth roughly  $2,000 and he would have all the cherries and sails to rip and batteries to kill that he may possibly need in his drifting adventure.

But as we are well aware, he won't lift a finger to actually do any work... even to bring income to himself in such a way. 

If I see the crazy sea cockroach again and he somehow lives to tell the tale I have half a mind to do an interview and have him tell his story... because at the least it's fairly amusing.

Anyways, a little about myself... I am a hotrodder on a budget, everything you need to know can be found in my videos.  www.youtube.com/invincibleextremes

Any thing I may have missed that I may know just ask.  I knew him for the year he was here in hawaii, interesting guy.  Wackjob of course, but an interesting one...

Shit.

Rimas has almost hit critical mass.  This chucklehead has never lived in Hawaii, he just found his posts on FagBook and his hunting for views/subs to his channel.  Lol.

13 hours ago, SCANAS said:

To add I'd love to hear HotRod bought a Hobie 33 & is quietly cruising the islands. 

Hotrod is in Hilo, working on his Hotrod which he had shipped over. The shippers busted some parts but he downplayed it and is fixing her up. Doing an decent job. This car was a stripped down carcass when he got it.

When Flyin' Hawaiian broke apart, he lost pretty much everything. Yes, the motorcycle was on board and it went down with the ship. I think he has found his spot and seems happy and sane.

hotrods_hotrod.jpg

hotrod_and_mercedes.jpg

47 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Hotrod is in Hilo, working on his Hotrod which he had shipped over. The shippers busted some parts but he downplayed it and is fixing her up. Doing an decent job. This car was a stripped down carcass when he got it.

When Flyin' Hawaiian broke apart, he lost pretty much everything. Yes, the motorcycle was on board and it went down with the ship. I think he has found his spot and seems happy and sane.

hotrods_hotrod.jpg

hotrod_and_mercedes.jpg

Props to him.  Shame he didn't go down that route YEARS earlier when everybody was telling him to do that.

Y'know before he bankrupted everybody in his extended family.  Wasn't the bike paid for by the Viking and not his?

2 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

hotrods_hotrod.jpg

hotrod_and_mercedes.jpg

We'll he gave it a redhotrod go & ended up in his desired location after all. 

19 hours ago, RKoch said:

Go fuck yourself. I was answering a small thread drift.

Quack Quack Quack!

8 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

The Capt 'O the Seas ties the jib sheet in a gobknot on the cleat. Wind pipes up and in a blind panic he cuts the sheet. :blink:

An improvement over letting the jib flog itself to shreds. Rimas IS capable of learning...he just rejects conventional practices.

He's made good about 35 miles in past 24 hrs, which included the sqeall. Mostly south, not much westerly component. Overall, since passing Kiritimati, he has made a fair bit of westing. I don't think he can make Tahiti...once he gets to SE trades the wind will be close-hauled. He can make Am Samoa, as the trades should be on beam or further aft. He's a couple hundred miles further east than he was when at same latitude in SJ a few years ago.  I think he stops in Am Samoa even if he still has provisions and water, so he can beg for sail and running rigging repairs. Likely same story as before...he linger and mooch for a while, boat will deteriorate due to neglect, until it's too costly for him to 'refit' to continue.

7 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

...I don't think the Samoans will be as friendly this time.  I know from experience..... Never piss off a Samoan.

Hard to say. 'Officially' he may be less welcome, as island communities don't have an excess of resources to support freeloaders and deadbeats. He may not find free dockage as before. OTOH, the church communities may have tolerance for him as before, and will feed him.

47 minutes ago, RKoch said:

He's made good about 35 miles in past 24 hrs, which included the sqeall. Mostly south, not much westerly component. Overall, since passing Kiritimati, he has made a fair bit of westing. I don't think he can make Tahiti...once he gets to SE trades the wind will be close-hauled. He can make Am Samoa, as the trades should be on beam or further aft. He's a couple hundred miles further east than he was when at same latitude in SJ a few years ago.  I think he stops in Am Samoa even if he still has provisions and water, so he can beg for sail and running rigging repairs. Likely same story as before...he linger and mooch for a while, boat will deteriorate due to neglect, until it's too costly for him to 'refit' to continue.

I suspect he can also pick up his SS checks in AmSamoa? But what would he spend the money on? Certainly not the boat.

50 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Oh yeah!

Rimas's combination of HazMat boat and begging will go over reall well in Tahiti!

No, no, no.......'Nuff derelicts here already!   He's more likely, if such an expression could be used on such a species, to drift towards the  Crook Islands, where they'll welcome him with cutlasses swinging on the beach.

BTW, why haven't anybody put out a warning to seafarers? His floating derelict is by design, and most of all by handling, a hazard to shipping in the area

Oh, and furthermore, how can this thread be in "sailing anarchy" as opposed to "cruising anarchy"?  In fact, it should have it's own dedicated space as "drifting anarchy"

53 minutes ago, mo fuzz said:

I suspect he can also pick up his SS checks in AmSamoa? But what would he spend the money on? Certainly not the boat.

He can get his SS checks anywhere, either mailed to him or direct deposit in an account (if he has one). I've not seen any evidence he's ever spent a dime of his money on his boat, and someone posted above he stiffed the harbormaster in Hilo the dockage he owed. So I guess he spends his SS checks in Starbucks and on thrift store sailor costumes.

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

He's made good about 35 miles in past 24 hrs, which included the sqeall. Mostly south, not much westerly component. 

He can make Am Samoa, as the trades should be on beam or further aft. He's a couple hundred miles further east than he was when at same latitude in SJ a few years ago.

There was some speculation last voyage that when he reported that he had lost his dinghy...it had merely sunk....still cleated to the stern.  Eventually becoming a sea anchor that dragged him stern first towards Am Samoa....until released by chafing

that;s a difficult vector to replicate...even for this master seaman.

1 hour ago, ModernViking said:

The chicken has competition  ... :ph34r:

Greetings to everyone around the world. All night long bird was on my boat in the morning tookoof it was friendly bird

Who says that the friendly bird wasn't the chicken?

8 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Oh yeah!

Rimas's combination of HazMat boat and begging will go over reall well in Tahiti!

He may have a problem getting into FP, as they want to see you with the equivalent of a ticket out or a bond that you promise to leave. They have structured their entire clearing in/visa process to keep people like Rimas out.

If, by some miracle, Jean or some other angel/idiot of his does post a bond or a ticket for him, he STILL will only get a three month visa an a US passport. They will not give you an extended visa if you are applying from within French Polynesia.

His current trajectory will take him past American Samoa and on towards Fiji.  I don't think he could get to French Polynesia as it's "up stream" from his location.

9 hours ago, RKoch said:

An improvement over letting the jib flog itself to shreds. Rimas IS capable of learning...he just rejects conventional practices.

Maybe the jib flogged itself to death after he cut the line. He let the radar reflector dangle for 4 days. He has incredible ability to ignore things he does not want to deal with. I believe there are several previous flogging examples and also sails left to rot on deck for months.

He doesn't worry. It's not like he paid for any of it.

No guys, I have no relation whatsoever to hotrod.  But if he lives in Hilo I will probably run into him at one point or another since I live just south of Hilo and go there often.

Yes I have seen the ladder tied to his mast for a couple weeks straight, not sure if he left with it like that.

Boat itself seamed solid, no slop or play in any of the things, and if I recall he did have some shade?  No sails on it when I was there, no crazy cockroach infestation or anything of that sort.

Curious myself as to how he got out of Hilo bay... because he certainly didn't sail upwind to make it happen.

Not sure who exactly he owed but in his own words he said he owed 9 to 10 months of Mooring at $800 a month...  so harbormaster i'm guessing?

The room he was renting from my friend was $300 a month or so and he had ambitions to sell his boat and move to kauai... which BTW is very expensive to live on so I asked where he was planning on living and he told me he has friends...

Guy collects social security, and he has worked in California.  

Not too sure on his prior girlfriend, all he said was she had to go back to japan.  So who knows.

Port of Seattle usually puts boats up for auction when they owe about $5k in moorage. I'm not sure about Port of Everett and Port of Bellingham, but they let peole pull boats out of the auction if they pay the bill. 

I bet the harbormaster was going to chain the boat or put it in dry storage, so Rimas organized a tow from Jean or someone to get out.

I know he had the sails off the boat when he booted me off his facebook. Maybe Jean or Shannon put them back on and modified them to work for awhile.

It was today all kind wather darkness calm heavy rain rouph and sometitis heavy sqealls now its claudy not much wind. Good night and good rest

He is getting some sound interests.
I like sometitis too ... even heavy 
:ph34r:

Huge sqeall and heavy heavy rain its hard to belie today it was rouph day at sea see you tomorrow.

• June 29, 2017 05:22:30 GMT
  • 2.6371°S, 158.7443°W

It was good cookes wih tea lady vera from ukraine but now living in hilo hawaii its homemhde cookes thank you to vera

• June 28, 2017 18:03:30 GMT
  • 2.4585°S, 158.5163°W

Tea and cookes, squealls and flying fish. He's living the dream.

On 6/27/2017 at 4:06 PM, aloha27 said:

Are you NUTS?

These kids could now be immune to any superbug that could ever threaten mankind!

They could very well ensure the survival of the species.

....yes,,, ironically possible under the circumstances :mellow:

On 6/28/2017 at 9:40 AM, RKoch said:

Hard to say. 'Officially' he may be less welcome, as island communities don't have an excess of resources to support freeloaders and deadbeats. He may not find free dockage as before. OTOH, the church communities may have tolerance for him as before, and will feed him.

.....do they believe in the 2nd coming?  :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

He may have a problem getting into FP, as they want to see you with the equivalent of a ticket out or a bond that you promise to leave. They have structured their entire clearing in/visa process to keep people like Rimas out.

If, by some miracle, Jean or some other angel/idiot of his does post a bond or a ticket for him, he STILL will only get a three month visa an a US passport. They will not give you an extended visa if you are applying from within French Polynesia.

....at 3 months, the airline ticket will be quite handy.  <_<

17 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

BJ, come on! Couldn't you read my irony in that post?

FP has (or at least "had"--it's been many decades since I've last checked into it) very restrictive visa laws and there was nothing inexpensive in the entire chain. It is blatantly anti-Rimas.

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Forced off his game...https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus

Fighting with sqealls day and night so many on this latitude wind coming from all direction i can not come out from this place now stragling for long periodthis

He's made about 10 miles in past 12 hours. Mostly south. He's got maybe 120+ miles before he starts to pick up the SE trades.

Bummer.  I hate it when the wind comes from all directions.  Makes it a real bitch to get where you're going in a sailboat.

Does he even have any sails at this point, or is he just relying on freeboard to push him around at 1.5 knots?

No engine + no sails = flotsam.

23 minutes ago, thereefgeek said:

Bummer.  I hate it when the wind comes from all directions.  Makes it a real bitch to get where you're going in a sailboat.

Does he even have any sails at this point, or is he just relying on freeboard to push him around at 1.5 knots?

No engine + no sails = flotsam.

I wish someone would post his track...there's probably some entertaining circles and curly cues.

43 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I wish someone would post his track...there's probably some entertaining circles and curly cues.

I keep his track on Rimas Adrift. I only have the coordinates for each ping and just connect the dots from there, so it's possible that he's doing circles between pings that aren't captured, but I draw his track as best as I can. The default is to only show the last 10 pings, but if you click on "Show All" after the 10th message, it will draw the track for all points on this trip since he fired up the InReach. 

https://sailingfortuitous.com/rimas/

capture.png

1 hour ago, chip said:

I keep his track on Rimas Adrift. I only have the coordinates for each ping and just connect the dots from there, so it's possible that he's doing circles between pings that aren't captured, but I draw his track as best as I can. The default is to only show the last 10 pings, but if you click on "Show All" after the 10th message, it will draw the track for all points on this trip since he fired up the InReach. 

https://sailingfortuitous.com/rimas/

capture.png

Tnx. I hadn't scrolled down that far. LOL he's still 2000 miles closer to Alaska than Cape Horn. Turn around, Rimas!

8 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

And what does the line between pings mean?  First time I've seen that.  

I think it's just shitty cartography. That's why I made my own. 

3 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

Hmmmmm......  Battery says Normal on last ping/message. 13 hours ago.  Hmmmm.

RIMAS.png

....hmmm,, maybe those 'squeals' won,,, have taken over the ship ghetto!?. :o

....16 hrs now.  :mellow:

25 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

.....how are the cultist groupies handling it over on Facebook?  Anybody call the CG yet? 

No one appears to be choking on their own vomit just yet.

I'll bet he dropped it over the side.

If the DeLorme is out of action, he's fucked. While he could input the lat/long for Pago Pago into his backup auto GPS, he has no charts of the S Pacific and needs the course instructions  from his router in England to keep clear of all the other atolls.

Two new messages, news of delorme death were premature:

Happy friday. Gqeetings from the south pacific ocean the wind pick up and mhde it good move to southwest

• June 30, 2017 19:43:45 GMT
  • 3.2316°S, 159.1911°W

Stil stragling with sqealls casms hazy heavy rain one of the most worst latitude of the century

• June 29, 2017 22:05:00 GMT
  • 2.8369°S, 158.9397°W

41 minutes ago, sail(plane) said:

Two new messages, news of delorme death were premature:

Happy friday. Gqeetings from the south pacific ocean the wind pick up and mhde it good move to southwest

• June 30, 2017 19:43:45 GMT
  • 3.2316°S, 159.1911°W

Stil stragling with sqealls casms hazy heavy rain one of the most worst latitude of the century

• June 29, 2017 22:05:00 GMT
  • 2.8369°S, 158.9397°W

''Worst latittude of the century''...... Too funny for words!! :o   :lol:

....This little episode reminds me of the panic when there's a little glitch in the VOR tracker.... .....''OMG!!,, team whoever has stopped!! .....Maybe they hit an iceburg, sunfish, shoal..... Where's Wouter''  :lol:  :lol:

....Kinda shows how we all care so much of king iNeptune and his vulnerabilities. :mellow:

22 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Sorry. I have to admit that I really care about the little cockroach. He makes my work day more bearable.  

Yah, as I was saying above.

In effect, our thoughts and concerns, although usually expressed as derision,, have the effect of prayers, and somehow have an effect. There's no other explanation that he's still alive. Though, the direct navigational assistance and calls to coast guard also play their part. :mellow:

29 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

Yah, as I was saying above.

In effect, our thoughts and concerns, although usually expressed as derision,, have the effect of prayers, and somehow have an effect. There's no other explanation that he's still alive. Though, the direct navigational assistance and calls to coast guard also play their part. :mellow:

I think the main reason the cockroach survives is that his kontiki drifting is limited to the tradewind belts. Only minor sqealls to deal with. It would be another story if he was in the Southern Ocean or North Atlantic, where he'd have to deal with real gales that lasted several days. 

Interesting that people are concerned about a day without communication. Then this shows up:

Sky all in dark coming very heavy rain. I am its ok. Need to charge satellite inteqnet to send for you to facebook

June 30, 2017 20:44:00 GMT

3.2417°S, 159.2166°W

I would Think that someone is reading here and feeding him info.

ky all