Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

3 minutes ago, sail(plane) said:

I still can´t understand the enablers... Rimas life depends exclusively on that delorme messaging and Jean arranging a tow. Is that the plan? just sail somewhere and I´ll make sure by phone you get assitance to land??

In essence, yes. Rimas doesn't have the basic navigation and boat handling skills to enter a harbor...even simple ones. Thus he needs to be towed in (and out, when departing). 

FB - Most of Rimas's FB friends (75-90%?) are Eastern European and Japanese women he's sent friend requests to, looking for a gf. I don't think they actually follow his misadventures. The remainder are split 50/50...some think Rimas is a real salty-blooded hero, and others realize he's utterly incompetent but wish him the best. Jim Furnish is just a troll who lays on the bs thick and heavy. 

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

1 hour ago, bplipschitz said:

From the book of the Faces, 6 hours old. . .

Steve Landburg good luck Rimas
· Reply · 13 hrs
Remove
Jean Mondeau
Jean Mondeau The coast guard already called me and r waiting for him.
· Reply ·
· 6 hrs

It boggles the mind how an indigent, feckless halfwit manages to have staff standing by to wait on him at every turn.

5 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

It boggles the mind how an indigent, feckless halfwit manages to have staff standing by to wait on him at every turn.

He's a professional indigent, feckless halfwit.  Been doing it his whole life.  He won't work, can't sail, won't lift a finger but he's impressively good at grifting and managing his staff of enablers.

5 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Yep. He's created a 'heroic' fantasy world, like Don Juan. Without the free boat and FB page, he's just another homeless guy living in a box in the alley, begging for handouts. As long as he limits his driftathons to relatively peaceful areas of the Pacific with rescue near at hand, he's fairly safe. If he ventures outside that area (ie: Cape Horn) his survival odds are greatly diminished.

15 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Up to Ben, but I'd say so.

We had it all wrong. There´s not even been a call for help, he´s not even had to fake being in distress, it was explicitly planned "just get close and I´ll arrange it for you". Maybe there was a message to Jean "ok send the CG, I´m ready"

6 minutes ago, sail(plane) said:

We had it all wrong. There´s not even been a call for help, he´s not even had to fake being in distress, it was explicitly planned "just get close and I´ll arrange it for you". Maybe there was a message to Jean "ok send the CG, I´m ready"

Yep, who figured on a pre-arranged tow? But Groundhog had the earliest prediction, so no matter how the 'ask for tow' time is determined, he probably wins. Up to Ben. Hope Groundhog enjoys the Thai hookers.

15 minutes ago, sail(plane) said:

..  ..  ..Maybe there was a message to Jean "ok send the CG, I´m ready"

No need - CG (and the rest of AS) could probably smell him 50 miles out.

49 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Yep. He's created a 'heroic' fantasy world, like Don Juan. Without the free boat and FB page, he's just another homeless guy living in a box in the alley, begging for handouts. As long as he limits his driftathons to relatively peaceful areas of the Pacific with rescue near at hand, he's fairly safe. If he ventures outside that area (ie: Cape Horn) his survival odds are greatly diminished.

I'm thinking you meant Don Quixote.

Rimas is no Don Juan.

18 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Yep, who figured on a pre-arranged tow? But Groundhog had the earliest prediction, so no matter how the 'ask for tow' time is determined, he probably wins. Up to Ben. Hope Groundhog enjoys the Thai hookers.

Bit far from Thailand... I'll buy myself a beer after tonight's around-the-cans race.

WTF is up with this Jean guy?  He may be an even bigger ass clown than Rimas.

- Knowing in advance he will have to contact the CG, for what is a courtesy tow rather than a bonafide rescue.

- Knowing in advance you are going to be consuming tax payer dollars

- Knowing in advance you are potentially endangering a CG crew.

I know this has all been discussed before, but I think it is Jean who may need a psychiatric assessment more than Rimas. JFC.

14 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

WTF is up with this Jean guy?  He may be an even bigger ass clown than Rimas.

- Knowing in advance he will have to contact the CG, for what is a courtesy tow rather than a bonafide rescue.

- Knowing in advance you are going to be consuming tax payer dollars

- Knowing in advance you are potentially endangering a CG crew.

I know this has all been discussed before, but I think it is Jean who may need a psychiatric assessment more than Rimas. JFC.

Yes, Jean is an enigma. Loyal to a fault, he continually lets Rimas take advantage of him and his generosity. IDK why he lets Rimas manipulate him.  He is an industrious DIYer, and dives into his own boat projects with sometimes clever low budget solutions. Others are a bit sketchy. He has some sailing ability, how much I'm not sure. He could probably be a contributing  participant in CA, if he chose. 

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Yes, Jean is an enigma. Loyal to a fault, he continually lets Rimas take advantage of him and his generosity. IDK why he lets Rimas manipulate him.  He is an industrious DIYer, and dives into his own boat projects with sometimes clever low budget solutions. Others are a bit sketchy. He has some sailing ability, how much I'm not sure. He could probably be a contributing  participant in CA, if he chose. 

He doesn't seem to think much of marina owners. Helping Rimas duck out on unpaid dockage is basically assisting theft no matter how you slice it.

5 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

He doesn't seem to think much of marina owners. Helping Rimas duck out on unpaid dockage is basically assisting theft no matter how you slice it.

It would cost the marina more to dispose of the boat. I'm pretty sure they just wanted Rimas gone, and were willing to write off the bad debt.  That really falls on the deadbeat Rimas, not on Jean.  If a landlord evicted a deadbeat tennant, the tennants friends who show up to help them move out aren't responsible for the back rent.

Jean IS responsible for his continued enabling of Rimas to set out to sea, when he should have been helping Rimas get a secure mooring spot that was 'Rimas proof'.

33 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Jean IS responsible for his continued enabling of Rimas to set out to sea, when he should have been helping Rimas get a secure mooring spot that was 'Rimas proof'.

Rimas-proof mooring:

settled-in-102[1].jpg

12 hours ago, RKoch said:

A realistic prediction based on past performance. Very doubtful that Jean will fly to Pago to maintain or fix Rimas's boat, and we KNOW Rimas ain't gonna do it. And other than 2 months SS checks waiting for him, he has no money and little will be sent to him.

My point being that that Mimsy deteriorated and went to shit as soon as Rimas stepped aboard. Earlier, actually.

I suppose it could get worse, but I think the deteriorating and going to shit is mostly already accomplished.

12 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

My point being that that Mimsy deteriorated and went to shit as soon as Rimas stepped aboard. Earlier, actually.

I suppose it could get worse, but I think the deteriorating and going to shit is mostly already accomplished.

I can't argue with that. When Rimas acquires a boat, there is a brief flurry of activity 'fixing it up', with Jean providing all the money and labor. The boats go downhill rather rapidly once he leaves. In the case of the San Juan, Rimas moved ashore with locals in AS (free room and board) and simply ignored the boat for several months. Left the sails piled on deck in the sun, didn't even make any effort to clean the boat up. At least in Hawaii with the Rawson he made some feeble attempts to repair the boat, but nothing was accomplished until Jean showed up.

Aside from the rusted up motor, it wouldn't be too big a project to refurbish Mimsy for basic use. But Rimas has no money, and is unable and unwilling to do any labor. He requires a serviceable boat be handed to him on a platter, which he then proceeds to trash out of stupidity, laziness, and inability to appreciate value.

48 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Think of this as assisted living that Jean is enabling, and it's probably cheaper than the landbased variety.

And more fun for us.........

4 hours ago, sail(plane) said:

I still can´t understand the enablers... Rimas life depends exclusively on that delorme messaging and Jean arranging a tow. Is that the plan? just sail somewhere and I´ll make sure by phone you get assitance to land??

Well, you have to dress like a girl, stare off into space, and drink a lot of coffee.

It's not all champagne and roses, mate!

10 minutes ago, madohe said:

Think of this as assisted living that Jean is enabling, and it's probably cheaper than the landbased variety.

Only if you don't count the cost of all the Coast Guard aid.

16 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Only if you don't count the cost of all the Coast Guard aid.

And the CG has been alerted twice already on this particular "leg" of his voyage.  The first was the FB enabler off Christmas Island - way back on pg 174 or 175 of this thread and now off AS.  

Who's to say Rimas won't give AS the slip and drift off somewhere else - which would entail summoning the CG a 3rd time.  Didn't Jean or someone else say Rimas had a 6 month supply of provisions.  

Someone quoted Jean that Rimas had 6 months of provisions. Rimas left Hilo 7 weeks ago...should have plenty of provisions unless he stored them in paper bags again.

i don't doubt the sails are in poor shape...they were already in poor condition when he left Hilo. He had several months in Hilo to address that problem and didn't....instead his priority was sticking 'great adventure around the world solo' letters on the side of the boat.

3 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Wow!  Who had that in the pool?

Bligh.

Player Date Time (GMT)
groundhog 7/21/2017 3:00
Rkoch 7/22/2017 4:00
Cruiser Jim 7/23/2017 20:00
Somebody Else 7/24/2017 2:32
Hypno Toad 7/24/2017 4:44
Uncooperative Tom 7/25/2017 5:00
Vokeno 7/25/2017 18:00
BenWynn 7/26/2017 2:00
McKarma 7/27/2017 3:00
thereefgeek 7/27/2017 8:00
aloha27 7/27/2017 18:00
shaggy 7/28/2017 0:00
pbd 7/28/2017 12:00
MisterMoon 7/29/2017 5:00
The Dragon 8/1/2017 5:00
Deleted 8/1/2017 21:00
Nice! 8/2/2017 14:00
couchsurfer 8/3/2017 12:00
cje 8/4/2017 22:59
madohe 8/4/2017 23:00
Captain Bligh DNF  
1 minute ago, tatters said:

He'll be a thirsty boy if he can make it to Australia without cracking up on a reef first.

I think there's a pretty high probability of him piling up on a reef....80%. If he does manage to make it, he'll be arrested, deported, and his boat confiscated. He should try for the Solomons....iDK if his panhandling will be successful there, but at least he won't be thrown in jail.

8 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Any chance he could miss Australia?  What's after that?

Alaska. He has a plan. Interesting note...he's still 1000 miles closer to Alaska than Cape Horn.

2 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

ok so this most recent update,,,,clear that he missed....

https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus#

Doesn't look like he can make it back...it's close-hauled. Fucking moron sailed right past it...he must have been less than 10 miles away. FB is probably in an uproar...

49 minutes ago, tatters said:

Where's my Concierge ????

I had a reservation damnit !!!

1.JPG

Unbelievable. There you go FB fans. Proof that the guy cant even steer. How do you miss a whole island, downwind, when you can see it?

Rimas, thank you for the entertainment, I wish you tows and starbucks

Wish we had a few intermediate positions to see exactly what he did as he drifted right past it.  Never even occurred to him to point the boat downwind toward the harbor and sail drift in?  Should be interested, we're in uncharted waters for Rimas now!

44 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I think there's a pretty high probability of him piling up on a reef....80%. If he does manage to make it, he'll be arrested, deported, and his boat confiscated. He should try for the Solomons....iDK if his panhandling will be successful there, but at least he won't be thrown in jail.

Yes!  This just got a lot more entertaining for us, but a lot more dangerous for Rimas.

30 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Any chance he could miss Australia?  What's after that?

LOL.   If anyone can miss Australia, Rimas is the man to do it.  I'm more worried about what's before Australia.  Not sure Australia is the most likely outcome here...

8 minutes ago, woolly said:

You can almost hear the sigh of relief from AS.

LMFAO!!!!  :D

6 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Untitled.jpg

Some funny shit right there.  Thanks for the Facebook update!!!!  Please keep it coming!

I think we all need to fess up that this sort of situation arising is exactly why we've invested so much time over the past 5-6 years following this slo-motion disaster in the making. You can't make this shit up. So what next? new pool for which reef he's gonna hit? There's lots of opportunity coming up.

4 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Still a chance for Samoa though.  I'm betting Jean has a SAR call into the Samoan Coasties. 

Would they actually launch a SAR based on Jean's phone call?  Rimas is not missing, overdue or lost, the world (and even Rimas) knows where he is.  He's not declaring an emergency, 

Besides, everyone in AS probably has their VHFs turned off since yesterday. 

12 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

Wish we had a few intermediate positions to see exactly what he did as he drifted right past it.  Never even occurred to him to point the boat downwind toward the harbor and sail drift in?  Should be interested, we're in uncharted waters for Rimas now!

Just my conjecture, but I think after failing to reach the CG on VHF he simply went to sleep and sailed right past. 

4 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

Would they actually launch a SAR based on Jean's phone call?  Rimas is not missing, overdue or lost, the world (and even Rimas) knows where he is.  He's not declaring an emergency, 

They may have surrounded the island with a boom.

3 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

That could soon change.  That seems to be his back up plan when all else fails.  Remember his "emergency" when approaching Hilo?

4 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

He made no effort to sail DOWNWIND to Pago Pago harbor.  It is beyond anything we've ever put on the guy. He is truly Captain Ineptune. SMFH

It looks like an easy approach into the harbor. But Rimas has no charts of the South Pacific, except for Cape Horn, 5000 miles away. Even if he had charts, there's no indication he knows how to read them or plot a course...to Rimas, charts are just props for his videos.

6 minutes ago, RKoch said:

It looks like an easy approach into the harbor. But Rimas has no charts of the South Pacific, except for Cape Horn, 5000 miles away. Even if he had charts, there's no indication he knows how to read them or plot a course...to Rimas, charts are just props for his videos.

I'm pretty sure he has this chart:  The "Mappuccino", which shows every Starbucks location on the planet.

Starbucks.png

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

If they launch a SAR out of AS, they should pick him up and sink the boat.  And send Jean the bill to dissuade him doing this again.  

I'm thinking CG is just laying low hoping Rimas drifts into another SAR district and becomes someone else's problem. I think Tonga is next...IIRC NZ is in charge of that region.

1 hour ago, some dude said:

Is betting still open?

Brisbane November 15

Hell no.

He would die trying to drift through Moreton Bay.

However I will be long gone from here by then, so he's welcome to it.

54 minutes ago, RKoch said:

He's going to hit a reef around an atoll before he ever gets near Oz.

Drifting towards Fiji and Tonga...there's a fair amount for him to hit.

Fiji wouldn't be the worst place for him, except he likely doesn't have the $100 or so he needs for the biosecurity inspections and paperwork clearing in.  It's a bit more of you don't arrive during the day time, as they will charge overtime. That, and you aren't allowed to clear in from the Lao group, you have to go to one of the larger islands. If he can arrive legally, it's a fairly cheap place to be. But he needs lawn dart someplace where he can clear in, since if he tries to come in illegally they may not let him stay.

The problem with a lot of these places though is they aren't great for grifting since the only people with the resources to support Rimas are other cruisers. There's not a lot of locals with money to spend on a nitwit like him. And as a whole, while we're all very open to helping each other out in a pinch, a certain amount of self help is expected, too.

I just can't get this image out of my head..... there he is in the cockpit of the boat looking aft - wearing that stupid hat and striped jersey - watching Samoa slowly disappear from view.  And thinking..... what.....the.....hell.... just.....happened.....

I love this thread.  You guys are a riot!

2 minutes ago, bugger said:

I just can't get this image out of my head..... there he is in the cockpit of the boat looking aft - wearing that stupid hat and striped jersey - watching Samoa slowly disappear from view.  And thinking..... what.....the.....hell.... just.....happened.....

reality was probably more absurd.....   poor little guy was probably at the top of the ladder waving his orange life buoy....while he talked on a dead VHF

3 minutes ago, bugger said:

He's probably wondering "where are you boats and planes" and still trying to get an enabler to schedule a media interview.

The most bizarre thing is that he's never spent 5 minutes learning to sail.  If he misses Pago, why the hell not just turn the boat around and sail right in?  Sailing upwind is truly not that difficult  -and he claims to be a big fan of "education".  All those days and miles on the water, and not 5 freakin' minutes to actually learn to sail.  

9780764550393_p0_v1_s192x300.jpg  

14 minutes ago, tatters said:

The most bizarre thing is that he's never spent 5 minutes learning to sail.  If he misses Pago, why the hell not just turn the boat around and sail right in?  Sailing upwind is truly not that difficult  -and he claims to be a big fan of "education".  All those days and miles on the water, and not 5 freakin' minutes to actually learn to sail.  

9780764550393_p0_v1_s192x300.jpg  

Well he is basically blind now, probably couldn't read if he had the book.  Maybe he didn't even see the island.

3 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Ho Lee Shit!  I fear this may be his last big mistake.

I think you will have to be more specific than that.  Which was his "biggest mistake"?

1. Doesn't know how to sail. 

2.  Doesn't know how to sail upwind. 

3. Doesn't know how to navigate. 

4. Doesn't have a chart. 

5. Doesn't have an engine.  

6. <and I am sure there are many more>

Regardless, this may put him into some danger.   But I can't stop from laughing (at him, and along with this merry bunch).  

6 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Ho Lee Shit!  I fear this may be his last big mistake.

Nope. He'll lawn dart on a reef, get rescued, given a free airplane trip back to the states, where Jean will give him another boat, and he'll boast on FB about his world record exploits. It's like Groundhog Day.

1 minute ago, Blitz said:

Well he is basically blind now, probably couldn't read if he had the book.  Maybe he didn't even see the island.

I'll bet he's never worn sunglasses in all the time he's spent on the water.  Kinda sad...