• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Ah. That would explain why the Hiscocks & Tilman never managed to do it, then.....

FKT

Harry wasn't so fortunate...

Islander-Captain-Harry-Pidgeon.png

just because a few people manage to do it, doesn't mean it's generally a good idea. That's pretty much the point of this thread.   I'd still want something reasonably fast, and reliable weather info to hop around Hope. 

1 minute ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I knew he lost the use of his main but was somehow under the impression he had a jib at least during daylight hours....are you saying he has or is not using any sails ?

He may or may not sail at night. He's got a furler. When he arrived in Hilo, his Genoa (which was new in SF) was in tatters and he had multiple sheets rigged to the shreds hanging off the leech. IOW, there's absolutely no telling what kind of creative sail trim he's got going, but we know he's not going to go upwind.

13 minutes ago, RKoch said:

He may or may not sail at night. He's got a furler. When he arrived in Hilo, his Genoa (which was new in SF) was in tatters and he had multiple sheets rigged to the shreds hanging off the leech. IOW, there's absolutely no telling what kind of creative sail trim he's got going, but we know he's not going to go upwind.

fukking sucks we have no pics !!!

4 hours ago, RKoch said:

He almost did it in the San Juan as he was drifting away from Am Samoa. Coached over the Delorme, he spent all day gaining a mile and a half or so. Then started crying and begged for a tow. Jean was able to reach Pago on phone and get a police boat sent out 25 miles to retrieve him.  The Rawson is no San Juan...even a fairly competent sailor is going to find it a turd going to windward. I think in PHRF they rate nearly 300, which is a minute/mile slower than a Catalina 22.

Holy shit. I thought this was hyperbole/comedy until I looked it up. I sailed a C22 for years and 300 is slow AF.

https://sailingfortuitous.com/wall-of-shame/

15 minutes ago, chip said:

Holy shit. I thought this was hyperbole/comedy until I looked it up. I sailed a C22 for years and 300 is slow AF.

https://sailingfortuitous.com/wall-of-shame/

12,000 lbs on a 22' waterline, plus a modest rig and a full keel. Concrete ballast.

I've mentioned earlier I went on a daysail on one, many years ago. College girl that crewed for me bought one for a live aboard. She was very proud of her first boat, and invited several of us out. Fairly light air (8-10), not the best showcase for the boat, but it was very sedate. As in barely moved. It would have tacked in about 120 degrees plus, but tacking was difficult as the boat came to a stop before it got head to wind most of the time. Build quality was pretty poor, but hull was massively thick. They're a tank...a very slow tank.

1 hour ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

I am basing my guesstimate of his direction on hull windage. current & swell surge. :)

That would a wise assessment ....and what I've been doing...But then someone messages him to alter his course where the boat then starts crab walking in another direction... you just never can tell with this guy... but with the wind and currents dictating  where he goes (mostly) it is a bit interesting almost like ...where would the ghost ship go now ? online game ....

well northwest of donut island     (Rim Job Island)

Sorry i was very busy steering my boat all night and day. I am reassy tired on my new gps it was showing wbarning of danger island stop continue
Speed: 4.37 mph Course: WSW
Elevation: 21.00 ft. Batt: Low
Lat: -15.410578 Lon: -175.819380
3 hours ago, CruiserJim said:

To some extent - 

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Rimas doesn't know the difference. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=849409&stc=1

29 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

That would a wise assessment ....and what I've been doing...But then someone messages him to alter his course where the boat then starts crab walking in another direction... you just never can tell with this guy... but with the wind and currents dictating  where he goes (mostly) it is a bit interesting almost like ...where would the ghost ship go now ? online game ....

Just imagine trying to be his router. Having to deal with the limited awa's he can sail, not knowing if he's got some creative sail trim going, or maybe he gets a sudden impulse to drop sails, brew more tea, stare at the clouds awhile, or chase the chicken. Fark.

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

Harry wasn't so fortunate...

Islander-Captain-Harry-Pidgeon.png

just because a few people manage to do it, doesn't mean it's generally a good idea. That's pretty much the point of this thread.   I'd still want something reasonably fast, and reliable weather info to hop around Hope. 

Some guy called Webb Chiles recently did it in a Moore 24, with no weather information once underway. I agree it can be a rough ride, I grew up on that coast, but it can be done and has been done in all manner of boats. Then again, I'm completely certain Rimas could not do it.

6 hours ago, madohe said:
6 hours ago, Kingstonsail said:

just now...

Jul 26, 2017 3:33:30 PM

I just made cup of coffee bud is limeted not much left a food. Need becafuly how i am eating
Speed: 4.37 mph Course: W
Elevation: 27.66 ft. Batt: Low
Lat: -15.434331 Lon: -175.443098

Running out of weed? That'd suck.....

I made a similar joke on FB and two interesting things happened.

1. The joke got a "like" from the OP of this thread. I wondered if he was still watching.

2. It somehow set off a catfight between Furnish and another Rimas FB fan.

People are funny.

28 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

Sorry i was very busy steering my boat all night and day. I am reassy tired on my new gps it was showing wbarning of danger island stop continue

Not Rim Job Island.... Chocolate Starfish Island with a Hot Dog flavor water Lake within it....But his chicken warned him not to insert his boat into it....

39 punters 

cje - 28 July 0001

McKarma - 29.July 1100

PBD -29.July 1200

cgriff - 29.July 1800

HypoToad - 29.July 2200

CruiserJim - 29.July 2300

Tom -    29.July 0000 

finding41 - 29.July 0300

Benwynn - 30.July 0200

Donovan - 30.July 0600

Moderate - 30.July 1800

Aloha27 - 31.July 0600

RKoch - 31.July 1600  

Woolley - 31.July 1742

Bythelee - 32.July 0001 

Tatters - 1.Aug 2300

Capt.Bligh -2.Aug 1500 NYC time

Varan - Aug 2, 10:40am local ? (UTC -7)

Bittergnat -2.Aug 0900

Groundhog - 2.Aug 1600 

6924 - 2.Aug 2300 

bigrpowr - 3.Aug 0600

Sundreamer -3.Aug 1700

bugger - 4.Aug 0420

Cal20 - 4.Aug 1100 

Trickypig -4.Aug 1130

MisterMoon -4.Aug 1400

Madohe -4.Aug 2300

Volkeno - 5.Aug 1200

SomebodyElse - 5.Aug 1322

CaptPirateDog - 8.Aug  0800 

Shaggy -10.Aug Solomons! 

Nice! - 21.Aug 1200 last transmission then vanish 

N1772 -25.Dec Lord Howe Island  0900

sailblueH20 - clean miss and fly by 

mauipunter - swing & miss & wreck 

DtM - Miss then Oz 

Lark - sometime in 2020 

kingstonsail - opt out of betting due to a higher authority

All times GMT unless otherwise noted

Location is defined as somewhere in Fiji Islands unless otherwise noted

Judges are RKoch, Ben, and GroundHog

First Official Ruling by Judges : "looks like 176W will do it. Once he makes a post west of that, entries are closed...unless us judges change our mind." 

Last reported position 175.8W

2/10 degree until entries close

2 minutes ago, Looncreek said:

If some weather forecasts are correct, early next week will unfortunately become challenging for Rimas. Best luck for a good outcome always! 

loon,

you going make a entry ? yours would be the 40th. 

3 hours ago, RKoch said:

I read an article by Stan Honey a few years ago in which he discussed how to break these 'round-the-world records (such as the Jules Verne Trophy) under sail. The modern breed of ocean trimarans are fast enough that they can pick and choose from from whichever weather systems are within several hundred miles of their position. Other than being becalmed, wind-speed isn't much of an issue as they generate so much apparent wind. They go in search of smooth water. It is in smooth water where they can pull out the stops and let her rip.

17 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

Rimas was at 175.8    2 hours ago...moving at 4 and a bit kts westish...    i'm sure we are passed the 176 though no official DeLorme check in yet

2 tenths should be 10-12 miles. He's not there yet. It's about 5 pm there, he'll post something after dark when he stops 'sailing' and brews tea.

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

2 tenths should be 10-12 miles. He's not there yet. It's about 5 pm there, he'll post something after dark when he stops 'sailing' and brews tea.

here is that post....just now...

Thanks to. Vera from hilo hawaii for the soup it was tasty. Closest island from my yachta island. Levu vitu but too small i am looking biger island
Speed: 3.11 mph Course: WSW
Elevation: 54.30 ft. Batt: Low
Lat: -15.442335 Lon: -175.956280

8 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Nope, still west long.

• July 27, 2017 04:04:15 GMT
  • 15.4423°S, 175.9563°W
  • Course: 256° at 3.11kts
  •  

\Yup I read numbers real gud...... I was referring to your call that he would stop soon and ping us....     Oh btw he had soup not tea  :))

And he pings again.....

Jean called me to hilo hawaii and told me i want to book abat adventures his living in san fransco calilifornia. Ok my friends good night
Speed: 3.11 mph Course: WSW
Elevation: 27.66 ft. Batt: Low
Lat: -15.443966 Lon: -175.967310
9 minutes ago, chip said:

A book may very well be written about him. Jean's got to have some kind of ulterior motive. 

Not going to happen. Who's gonna write it? Surely not Rimas. Ghostwriter will want to be paid up front...no one is gonna buy that farce, especially since Rimas's 'story' is part fantasy and merely wishful thinking.

I certainly wasn't thinking autobiography, or even anything flattering, but the he's captivated enough people to generate 19,000 posts about him. There's definitely a story to be told.  

Jean could write it. And hell, I'd write the counterpoint. 

Hope he lands on this Island. its  just possible the cockroach of the sea lands among billionaires ! 

"...

In 2003 Dietrich Mateschitz, head of the Red Bull energy drink company, bought the island from Forbes's heirs.[1]

Dietrich contracted Lynne Hunt Londonto turn the island into a private retreat for celebrities. The resort now includes 25 bures, each unique from one another with differing themes.[2] The projected cost per night ranges from $7,000 to $36,000 USD...."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laucala

only way to get to this island is via private jet. It's deemed the most lux resort on earth.

We should all pray that our hero drifts into this resort. 

Thats  an audience of 400 lonely men with too much time on their hands....   men (and maybe one woman)  that like predicting drifting patterns of boats ....   the fact that we get a few nonsensical haikus from the floating boat each day  is just a bonus....        not a great seller Im thinking

speaking for myself that is   

9 minutes ago, chip said:

I certainly wasn't thinking autobiography, or even anything flattering, but the he's captivated enough people to generate 19,000 posts about him. There's definitely a story to be told.  

On 7/24/2017 at 5:14 PM, mad said:

For a seemingly new person to this thread and SA, you seemed to have followed this all very diligently. 

A sock, or a troll that has recently moved?  

Three years on SA is new? But yes, I'm a sock for this thread, to avoid getting myself booted off his Facebook. 

I vote New Caledonia August 15 1310 local time, rescued due to "no food no water" via Delorme.  

Facebook wisdom: "Great! Please be careful. If you can check google earth, look at them first. Will give you idea where inlet, or port is located. Also shows reef areas"

9 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

Thats  an audience of 400 lonely men with too much time on their hands....   men (and maybe one woman)  that like predicting drifting patterns of boats ....   the fact that we get a few nonsensical haikus from the floating boat is just a bonus....        not a great seller Im thinking

speaking for myself that is   

Eh, probably not destined for the NYT Bestseller list, but someone's got to chronicle this shit. It's too funny not to.

13 minutes ago, chip said:

Eh, probably not destined for the NYT Bestseller list, but someone's got to chronicle this shit. It's too funny not to.

You would think so....but when I try to explain his travels to even my sailing friends they look at me with a blank stare and say..."so all he is doing is floating ?"      and that kills the convo.... 

I think we get amusement out of this because of what (and I'm going to mist up and maybe cry here)...of what we as a community bring to this Quixotic event.   There are some seriously funny posts on this thread....not the ones about him having sex with the chicken....nor the starbucks jokes....but some seriously funny shit. 

Plus at anytime he could nail a reef in the middle of the night ........so there is that knee slapper...   

17 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

...never has a sailor been taken off soooo off track by ..... wind.  :mellow:

thread drift here....welcome back...I was seriously worried at both yours and Bfloyd's absence at such a critical juncture..  (not really...but it was noticeable)

....so are you like the 1% of us that dont live in our parents basement and actually have a life??    or are you just checking in now we are in the end of days ?

43 minutes ago, 6924 said:

Hope he lands on this Island. its  just possible the cockroach of the sea lands among billionaires ! 

"...

In 2003 Dietrich Mateschitz, head of the Red Bull energy drink company, bought the island from Forbes's heirs.[1]

Dietrich contracted Lynne Hunt Londonto turn the island into a private retreat for celebrities. The resort now includes 25 bures, each unique from one another with differing themes.[2] The projected cost per night ranges from $7,000 to $36,000 USD...."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laucala

only way to get to this island is via private jet. It's deemed the most lux resort on earth.

We should all pray that our hero drifts into this resort. 

He's already proven he can live in San Fran for free, and live in Hawaii for free!

His true skill is not sailing drifting.

He is a master of living in the world's most expensive locations for free.

It's amazing really.....

Ok, his last post was at 0417Z and its nearly 0700Z now. He was about 2 miles off, even with a ridiculously slow speed he's crossed 176W now. We know he's not going east (upwind). So I'm calling entries closed now, as he's apparently gone to sleep for the next 12 hours.

This round 2 applies while he's in Fijian waters. Before 'swing and miss' predictions win, have to wait to make sure he's not rescued by Fijian SAR after drifting past but still in territorial waters.

Predictions for Solomons, Oz, etc carry over to Round 3, subject to those judges. Note: getting those predictions in early does have the benefit of protecting those spots.

40 punters 

cje - 28 July 0001

McKarma - 29.July 1100

PBD -29.July 1200

cgriff - 29.July 1800

HypoToad - 29.July 2200

CruiserJim - 29.July 2300

Tom -    29.July 0000 

finding41 - 29.July 0300

Benwynn - 30.July 0200

Donovan - 30.July 0600

Moderate - 30.July 1800

Aloha27 - 31.July 0600

RKoch - 31.July 1600  

Woolley - 31.July 1742

Bythelee - 32.July 0001 

Tatters - 1.Aug 2300

Capt.Bligh -2.Aug 1500 NYC time

Varan - Aug 2, 10:40am local ? (UTC -7)

Bittergnat -2.Aug 0900

Groundhog - 2.Aug 1600 

6924 - 2.Aug 2300 

bigrpowr - 3.Aug 0600

Sundreamer -3.Aug 1700

bugger - 4.Aug 0420

Cal20 - 4.Aug 1100 

Trickypig -4.Aug 1130

MisterMoon -4.Aug 1400

Madohe -4.Aug 2300

Volkeno - 5.Aug 1200

SomebodyElse - 5.Aug 1322

CaptPirateDog - 8.Aug  0800 

Shaggy -10.Aug Solomons! 

Rawlings - 15.August 1310 local time New Caladonia

Nice! - 21.Aug 1200 last transmission then vanish 

N1772 -25.Dec Lord Howe Island  0900

sailblueH20 - clean miss and fly by 

mauipunter - swing & miss & wreck 

DtM - Miss then Oz 

Lark - sometime in 2020 

kingstonsail - opt out of betting due to a higher authority

All times GMT unless otherwise noted

Location is defined as somewhere in Fiji Islands unless otherwise noted

Judges are RKoch, Ben, and GroundHog

First Official Ruling by Judges : "looks like 176W will do it. Once he makes a post west of that, entries are closed...unless us judges change our mind." 

Second Ruling : "....Ok, his last post was at 0417Z and its nearly 0700Z now. He was about 2 miles off, even with a ridiculously slow speed he's crossed 176W now. We know he's not going east (upwind). So I'm calling entries closed now, as he's apparently gone to sleep for the next 12 hours...." 

Therefore Entries Closed as of 27.July 0700  gmt

48 minutes ago, chip said:

Saving the Delorme posts is a perfectly satisfactory chronicle. The entertainment value is the observers comments; mostly here, but occasionally From the clueless FB cult. Unless the book adds a great deal of insight, can't see any public interest...hell, it's only gotten sporadic media attention. Rimas isn't going to add insight, he's a babbling idiot. Anything Jean or Shannon might contribute can be covered in a few paragraphs. I just don't see taking the trouble to write a book that might make a couple hundred dollars as anything but a waste of time.

Thanks to. Vera from hilo hawaii for the soup it was tasty

Hmmmmm - four week old, unrefrigerated soup?????  You better believe it was tasty.  I bet he's spent the last couple of weeks chasing it around the cabin.

16.jpghttps://www.windy.com/?-9.666,170.991,5 It appears the Ghost Ship will drift to the Solomon Islands before getting stalled out around Papua NG then slowly drift north a bit , get pulled into low pressure systems ,before getting pushed twrds Japan where the  Geisha Ghost awaits those Lost at Sea...

No No No... New Prediction is ...He will continue drifting until he somehow ends up off the southern Philippines ... Where he will rejoice his rescue? by Abu Sayaf  where they will take him captive to be held for ransom...Only to be quickly released in a few hours

For those saying PNG, why do you think our man will end  up north of Australia ?

He seems to be drifting gradually south of west.  There is an awful lot of Oz  north of where his latitude is now.

51 minutes ago, DtM said:

For those saying PNG, why do you think our man will end  up north of Australia ?

He seems to be drifting gradually south of west.  There is an awful lot of Oz  north of where his latitude is now.

Because..."reaching" (to) Australia is beyond his control....even with a good Mainsl and jib ...Can Ghost Ships drift upwind?? IDK...maybe in a strong current in light air they can....

10 hours ago, Kingstonsail said:

Poor guy doesn't realize that the effect of him steering is close to nil.

6 hours ago, RKoch said:

Ok, his last post was at 0417Z and its nearly 0700Z now. He was about 2 miles off, even with a ridiculously slow speed he's crossed 176W now. We know he's not going east (upwind). So I'm calling entries closed now, as he's apparently gone to sleep for the next 12 hours.

This round 2 applies while he's in Fijian waters. Before 'swing and miss' predictions win, have to wait to make sure he's not rescued by Fijian SAR after drifting past but still in territorial waters.

Predictions for Solomons, Oz, etc carry over to Round 3, subject to those judges. Note: getting those predictions in early does have the benefit of protecting those spots.

(Judge discussion) By the terms stated the contest closes after the first post after 176W, so if anyone wants to sneak in a late entry I would be inclined to allow it, except in the unlikely event that it becomes apparent no more posts are forthcoming.

I was thinking about Rimas's ability to enter a port. Does he have an engine that works? Does he know how to use it?

As to PNG, I thought it was a pretty large land mass, and given where he is located, it would be as much on his way to Alaska as any place else.

If he had a GPS lady on his boat providing directions, like in some cars, can you imagine what she would be saying?

Rimas has zero ability to enter a port. He has no working engine, can't sail and no knowledge of navigation or piloting. Hence the begging for tows as previously mentioned.

Just now, sailronin said:

Rimas has zero ability to enter a port. He has no working engine, can't sail and no knowledge of navigation or piloting. Hence the begging for tows as previously mentioned.

As I suspected, and as I should have known.

4 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

LOL....I've been thinking about that too.........hahahaa

I believe that is what he is shooting for.  Seems like he mentioned it a few days ago.  But to get there from his last ping he is going to have to average a course of 250-260.  Something that, for him, is going to be increasingly difficult if not impossible for him to do the further west he goes.

On March 18, 2016 at 0:23 PM, Ultraman said:

March , 2016 The open ocean Pacific. Lately me hit a lot of the storms , but I am very brave no matter how big waves how big gust the wind I will be continue sailing around the world. When I was in Sausalito harbor , I never test it my boat for the four month. Because I was not interesting sailing in San Francisco Bay at all I want to tell to public I am deep sea sailor, I am enjoy it sailing alone, for the long periods on the open seas. It was a lot food on my boat always. I never sailing to the open ocean no food.n I must to sail around the world, I am very determined to do on the big seas.

Saw this in the way back machine.

2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

..  ..  .. Fiji Coast Guard will provide visiting vessels with:

• 24 x 7 monitoring of emergency marine radio frequencies on VHF, MF and HF bands
  • Vessel Logging & Tracking
  • Search & Rescue
  • Breakdown assistance
  • Diver emergency response
  • Medevac
  • Hourly weather reports and navigation warnings
  • Radio checks
  • Vessel safety checks

No mention of valet parking..  ..  ..

5 minutes ago, Donovan said:

Since Rimus hasn't checked in yet and if the judges allow, I'm going to change my prediction to August 1 at 0600 he will run aground on the reefs outside of Natewa Bay.

Nope. Ben ruled no changing predictions, and I ruled predictions closed at 0700Z when Rimas was certainly past 176.