• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Pertinacious Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Training Wheels said:

Is he? Time will tell.

He's just busy working on his book. Current chapter is about his most excellent landfall in Fiji, where he planted a giant American flag and was greeted by throngs of reporters and officials from Guiness Book of Records.

Can't wait to see his first ping of the day!  The winds look to be increasingly against him as he drifts closer to Fiji.  If he misses Fiji, I don't think he'll make Vanuatu.

We can start placing bets on the Solomon Islands!!!!!

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

No main to balance the boat...every time the bow comes up on a wave it slides down to leeward....each and every wave....painful to imagine....

Correction... No main halyard. My guess is he is flying his mainsail off the jib tack and halyard. Wouldn't be the first time. Wonder which corner is up?

If he hadn't deviated around Donut Island, he would have given himself a better shot at Fiji. Thoughts of swimming in the lake in the middle of the island with bare breasted Tongan women must have drawn him that way. Until Jean or somebody pinged him and told him to forget it. "Danger Island". That screwed him.

13 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Book Title Contest!

My entry:  Rimas Meleshyus: Broken Records

Yep - here's what that sounds like : 

Day 1:   woke up, drifted 10 hrs, session with the chicken, go to sleep.

repeat for duration of passage.

10 hours ago, woolly said:

Hmmmmm - four week old, unrefrigerated soup?????  You better believe it was tasty.  I bet he's spent the last couple of weeks chasing it around the cabin.

Hopefully not chicken soup.

I haven't calculated it south of the equator, but from Hilo to the doldrums I calculated he average speed when he declared he was 'sailing', and that when he declared he was 'done sailing'.  As can be guessed, he went about a 1/2 knot faster when he wasn't sailing.

My prediction is that he'll get blown north of Fiji. A few days later, his Delorme charger will fail and that will be the last we will see or hear from him. My fear is for the huddled masses of this thread that will sit quietly clicking refresh on his Delorme page for hours...and days....and weeks on end desperately awaiting his next haiku. Addiction is nasty!

1 minute ago, 6924 said:

Announcement 

His morning ping suggests he has discovered Broad Reaching 

More likely all the barnacles on the hull are paddling in unison away from danger.

6 minutes ago, RKoch said:

The strong southerlies in lower left corner...they going to get to him?

Could be!  The closer he gets, the less favorable wind direction is for his Con Tiki style sailing. 

It's getting interesting.....

4 minutes ago, tatters said:

Could be!  The closer he gets, the less favorable wind direction is for his Con Tiki style sailing. 

It's getting interesting.....

It really is and this is some funny stuff up in here.

8 minutes ago, Donovan said:

Looks like WindTy is predicting favorable downwind for him on the 29th and the early part of the 30th.

This is true if Windy is correct.  He better position himself well on Sat & Sun.  The gods have always smiled upon Rimas, so he'll probably get whatever wind direction he needs.  Nobody has made any money betting against him yet.

11 hours ago, woolly said:

Hmmmmm - four week old, unrefrigerated soup?????  You better believe it was tasty.  I bet he's spent the last couple of weeks chasing it around the cabin.

I'm sure it was Top Ramen--food for the penniless since 1958. Cup-O-Noodles or Campbell's if Vera in Hilo was feeling particularly flush and generous that day.

It would be completely out of character for any of Rimas' adoring masses to make or do or cook anything by themselves.

Just for fun: Enter Rimas' last known position into Google Maps, then click the "nearby" button for list of nearest bars, restaurants, and hotels.  

Google does its best, but when you ask for directions to the pub, it punts.  

Good grief, I'm bored...

2 hours ago, tatters said:

Can't wait to see his first ping of the day!  The winds look to be increasingly against him as he drifts closer to Fiji.  If he misses Fiji, I don't think he'll make Vanuatu.

We can start placing bets on the Solomon Islands!!!!!

Capture.JPG

What program generates this image?

1 hour ago, dgauci said:

My prediction is that he'll get blown north of Fiji. A few days later, his Delorme charger will fail and that will be the last we will see or hear from him. My fear is for the huddled masses of this thread that will sit quietly clicking refresh on his Delorme page for hours...and days....and weeks on end desperately awaiting his next haiku. Addiction is nasty!

Queue the last 2 minutes of Futurama's Jurassic Bark.

"Ever since he was a young boy
He played the grifter ball
From Sochi down to 'Frisco
He must have played them all
But I ain't seen nothing like him
In any Starbucks stall
That deft dumb and blind kid
Sure plays a mean jib sail!
He helms like a statue,
Becomes part of the machine
Feeling all the halyards
All his drops are clean
He sails by intuition,
Never heels at all
Sure plays a mean white squalll!
He's a Con-Tiki Drifter
There has got to be a twist
A FaceBook wizard,
S'got such a supple grift
How do you think he does it? I don't know!
What makes him so good?
He ain't got no distractions
Can't hear that mainsail shred
Don't see ship lights a flashin'
Sails by sense of smell
Always gets a free tow
Never seen him landfall
Sure plays a mean outhaul..."

199261.jpg

10 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:
..  ..  ..  ..  

well done.gif

10 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:
In any Starbucks stall
He helms like a statue,
Feeling all the halyards
All his drops are clean
He sails by intuition,
Never heels at all
He's a Con-Tiki Drifter
A FaceBook wizard,
What makes him so good?
Sails by sense of smell
Always gets a free tow
Never seen him landfall

199261.jpg

Brilliance. 

Norse, you are a talented and addicted man. Bravo.

Our boy will have to thread his way to Alaska. It will require precise navigation and nerves of steel.

597a58af1594e_rimastoalaska.thumb.png.e0a579a02c547420dd77ffd1491fd95c.png

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

The strong southerlies in lower left corner...they going to get to him?

the way I see it on the models, Rimas is 3 1/2 days from Fiji. Its a close call, but he should get following winds and then at the last moment strong south winds blowing him away from Fiji. But would not bet against his luck!

7 minutes ago, sail(plane) said:

the way I see it on the models, Rimas is 3 1/2 days from Fiji. Its a close call, but he should get following winds and then at the last moment strong south winds blowing him away from Fiji. But would not bet against his luck!

Yes, with just a bit of effort he could sail right into the bay with favorable winds. But even if he chooses this destination he will probably get close to the opening and start calling for a tow on the radio.  While he's futzing around out there waiting for his welcome parade, the wind will shift to the S and he'll be off again. 

He's got his eyes set on Nawi Island. It's a privately owned luxury resort. Probably working up a scam to grift free dockage and food for the next 6 months.

http://www.nawiisland.com/resort-spa-fiji-savusavu/

To. Nawi island 231 miles look like good island. Its claudy need to charge battery no sun i cant use satellite internet sorry

July 27, 2017 21:37:15 GMT

15.7485°S, 176.7759°W

Course: 249° at 3.02kts

56 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:
In any Starbucks stall
He helms like a statue,
Feeling all the halyards
All his drops are clean
He sails by intuition,
Never heels at all
He's a Con-Tiki Drifter
A FaceBook wizard,
What makes him so good?
Sails by sense of smell
Always gets a free tow
Never seen him landfall

Norse - Fucking pure gold.

I'll PM you my address. You can mail me a new laptop if you are feeling guilty.

4 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

He's gotta get thru a bunch of nasty bits to get there.  If someone does tow him it, unlikely they'll tow him to the high budget resort.

They'll tow him to a port of entry. AFAIK there are only 2...Suva and Savusavu

26 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Yeah. Reality is a bit different.  Looks like a great place for him. Could be the Richardson Bay of the South Pacific!

IMG_6971.PNG

maybe he means vanua levu... he certainly cant grift free sails, repairs, food, and Starbucks on Nawi.  I think he sees the whole island and just read that name of f the 'chart' or tomtom.

40 punters 

cje - 28 July 0001

McKarma - 29.July 1100

PBD -29.July 1200

cgriff - 29.July 1800

HypoToad - 29.July 2200

CruiserJim - 29.July 2300

Tom -    29.July 0000 

finding41 - 29.July 0300

Benwynn - 30.July 0200

Donovan - 30.July 0600

Moderate - 30.July 1800

Aloha27 - 31.July 0600

RKoch - 31.July 1600  

Woolley - 31.July 1742

Bythelee - 32.July 0001 

Tatters - 1.Aug 2300

Capt.Bligh -2.Aug 1500 NYC time

Varan - Aug 2, 10:40am local ? (UTC -7)

Bittergnat -2.Aug 0900

Groundhog - 2.Aug 1600 

6924 - 2.Aug 2300 

bigrpowr - 3.Aug 0600

Sundreamer -3.Aug 1700

bugger - 4.Aug 0420

Cal20 - 4.Aug 1100 

Trickypig -4.Aug 1130

MisterMoon -4.Aug 1400

Madohe -4.Aug 2300

Volkeno - 5.Aug 1200

SomebodyElse - 5.Aug 1322

CaptPirateDog - 8.Aug  0800 

Shaggy -10.Aug Solomons! 

Rawlings - 15.August 1310 local time New Caladonia

Nice! - 21.Aug 1200 last transmission then vanish 

N1772 -25.Dec Lord Howe Island  0900

sailblueH20 - clean miss and fly by 

mauipunter - swing & miss & wreck 

DtM - Miss then Oz 

Lark - sometime in 2020 

kingstonsail - opt out of betting due to a higher authority

All times GMT unless otherwise noted

Location is defined as somewhere in Fiji Islands unless otherwise noted

Judges are RKoch, Ben, and GroundHog

First Official Ruling by Judges : "looks like 176W will do it. Once he makes a post west of that, entries are closed...unless us judges change our mind." 

Second Ruling : "....Ok, his last post was at 0417Z and its nearly 0700Z now. He was about 2 miles off, even with a ridiculously slow speed he's crossed 176W now. We know he's not going east (upwind). So I'm calling entries closed now, as he's apparently gone to sleep for the next 12 hours...."  

Entries Closed as of 27.July 0610 gmt 

25 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

It is perplexing. One of his handlers must have googled "Marinas in Fiji" and relayed the Nawi location. 

Probably something like that. Can't imagine they'd pick the resort knowing they might get stuck with the tab.

26 minutes ago, 6924 said:

Judges;

What event are we waiting for ? First call for tow ?

landfall ? 

???

First 'event'.

call for tow.

tow

wreck

rescue

Expertly gliding into dock on his own (ok, I keed)

Just now, RKoch said:

First 'event'.

call for tow.

tow

wreck

rescue

He calls for a tow all the time,    Hawaii.   A.S.    That doesn't count.  

14 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

This is much different coast guard than he is accustomed to with his USCG....should make the island paper/ news

You noted the Fuji CG auxiliary of cruisers.   I would predict most cruisers would rather tow Rimas then let him step aboard their homes, even if that meant towing the boat too.    I also predict most would rather just give away some food and water, and return to their island paradise ASAP.    

18 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

This is much different coast guard than he is accustomed to with his USCG....should make the island paper/ news

After he was towed into AmSamoa in the San Juan, first thing he did was seek out the local paper and regaled the reporter with his most remarkable voyage, Guiness record book and all the 'heading to Cape Horn' crapola. Then proceeded to mooch room and board off the locals for 9 months before walking out on his dockage bill.

59 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Odd a clearly typed message with names and distance....out of character ....is  his GPS gizzmo able to take way points ? I find it odd he knew the name and spelled it correctly then had the exact mileage...

He said someone gave him a new GPS. If it's a Garmin 78 series. you turn it on and it shows you a map of where you are. Dedicated zoom keys. Move the cursor to where you want to go and press the MARK button and it tells you range and bearing to your mark. Has a huge red arrow that even blind Rimas could see, saying, "Go THAT way, idiot!"

Every screen can be customized to show exactly what you want displayed but I doubt Rimas or any of his handlers would do anything so logical. Shannon, maybe, but not Rimas or Jean.

garmin_screen_305px.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lark said:

You noted the Fuji CG auxiliary of cruisers.   I would predict most cruisers would rather tow Rimas then let him step aboard their homes, even if that meant towing the boat too.    I also predict most would rather just give away some food and water, and return to their island paradise ASAP.    

I think BJ has already sent warning to cruisers in Fiji...coconut telegraph...and they're avoiding Rimas like the plague.

3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:
In any Starbucks stall
He helms like a statue,
Feeling all the halyards
All his drops are clean
He sails by intuition,
Never heels at all
He's a Con-Tiki Drifter
A FaceBook wizard,
What makes him so good?
Sails by sense of smell
Always gets a free tow
Never seen him landfall

199261.jpg

Excellent lyrics

I was thinking Pachinko, but pinball works, too.

2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Would have loved to have had one of these back in the day...

Had one on a delivery back from the Carib...backup to the chart plotter. Came in very handy when the plotter decided to take a dump as we were approaching Turks and Caicos and got wailed on by a front, at night. 

The sun show up. Mimsy sailing around the world. The story never ends. I am already in fiji fishing zone but dont see yrou fshing boats not yet

July 28, 2017 00:15:30 GMT

15.7761°S, 176.9172°W

Course: 259° at 3.15kts

If you look at the "resort" on Google Earth, its in pre-construction/pre-sale phase. Right now, its just a bunch of mangrove as of 9/2016. If Rimas were to tell the locals that he's looking to buy property, maybe he could grift a free time share hospitality spa package.

52 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Clean needs to fly in and scoop the story....we want independent photos and interview

No no no no no no no no NOPE!

If there was ever an ass-clown on Rimas' level, it's Clean. His video makes me sea-sick and I NEVER get sea-sick. And all the video is of his own fucking face--the never-ending, jerky, shaky selfie.

hqdefault.jpg

no_no_no.gif

15 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

From his last position 250 NM out  moving @ 3.2 knots around 80  hours of "sailing"  ...should put him on the beach around 8PM local time

who is in the running for the big prize ?

38 minutes ago, tatters said:

He's making better progress than I imagined.  If he makes it to Fiji, it will be sooner than most predictions.

And if he makes it past Fiji, I'll call shenanigans........

48 minutes ago, tatters said:

He's making better progress than I imagined.  If he makes it to Fiji, it will be sooner than most predictions.

Hunger seems to make him sail faster. Or maybe he thinks he's getting a room at the spa-resort....because that's what world record sailors do...

37 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

From his last position 250 NM out  moving @ 3.2 knots around 80  hours of "sailing"  ...should put him on the beach around 8PM local time

He could make the tow call earlier. That's what makes it a crap-shoot.

With word of Rimas's remarkable drifting and grifting adventure reaching Fiji ahead of him, the locals are assembling their welcoming comittee to great the world record blue water sailor...

fiji37.jpg

I expect his direction to start pulling north of Fiji soon...but its a hard guess... I imagine his windage just about equals his displacement... sort of like an old coconut in the water... I guess he IS an old coconut in the water...but will be interesting to see the opposing wind and current and the effect.... I'm still going for a close pass followed by panic and Abandon ship because towing will be deemed impossible.....

Ah man this is a funny thread, whew, there is alot of comedic talent on these forums!

Its so entertaining & I really needed a laugh, thank you guys,

BUT when it comes to the subject of all this,

I feel like the guy getting hustled, suspicious that he's getting hustled, staring right at the game trying to see if its obvious, and still hanging in there,

Is Rimas really at sea? So many contradictions, the varying degrees of grammar, etc but most of all,

HOW IS HE SAILING SO FAST (relatively) and apparently reaching? And sailing what looks like a logical course?

I'm rubbing my eyes but I cant see the con

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

After he was towed into AmSamoa in the San Juan, first thing he did was seek out the local paper and regaled the reporter with his most remarkable voyage, Guiness record book and all the 'heading to Cape Horn' crapola. Then proceeded to mooch room and board off the locals for 9 months before walking out on his dockage bill.

Ha ha, I emailed that reporter about a great, great voyage...:D