Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

8 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Perhaps he didn't stop in AmSomoa this time around because he skipped out on a tab last time he was there....it's a small world sometimes....

I think he intended to stop, but tow didn't materialize. 

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I thought first one was $500, and second one was free from a YC youth sailing program who wanted it gone. AFAIK he departed for Alaska (he stated his destination was Japan) by himself. He had a large outboard.

second trip, leaving Juan de Fuca, somebody was shooting  video from aboard the boat, so he had help at least part way. Also had an outboard. I doubt he could get out JdF on his own. His stated destination then was down N&S American coasts to Cape Horn. Ended up drifting to Hawaii as his rigging failed.

Yes, Shannon helped Rimas motor from Oak Harbor through Deception Pass at the east end of the Strait of Juan Dr Fuca. It is about 10 miles. How he got from there to the Pacific is unknown. It is about 60 miles with few places to stop and refuel.

43 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Possible, but I don't think so. 90 miles is over 24 hours of his drifting speed, the strong SE winds filled in at some point after his last post, and I don't think he could maintain a SW course or even sail (if sails aren't shredded).

i think he sailed SW for a few hours after post, and when storm hit his jib shredded and he drifted west or northwest. For plotting, figure about 12 hours at 250deg at 3 knots from last post. Then remainder of time anywhere from 270-320 at 2 knots.  Rough guess: current position 40-75 miles NNE of Ringgold.

260px-Fiji_map.png

Agree.  That would put him about mid-way between Qelelevu and Futuna.  No way to make anything in Fiji now, if he's even alive and on the boat.  Time for the enablers -- Jean and Jim -- to arrange for SAR?

10 minutes ago, AlienBowman said:

Agree.  That would put him about mid-way between Qelelevu and Futuna.  No way to make anything in Fiji now, if he's even alive and on the boat.  Time for the enablers -- Jean and Jim -- to arrange for SAR?

Since there's no Mayday from Rimas, I doubt SAR would go out. Where would they look?...it's a big ocean and Rimas is a speck.  They might issue an APB to vessels and aircraft to be on lookout for him.

I very much doubt Jean, Jim, et al, would front up the 10s of thousands of dollars to hire a private search. They'd have to cover 15,000 sq miles of ocean...and that increases by the hour.

6 minutes ago, AlienBowman said:

Will you just shut the fuck up already?!!!

This is the sort of meddling that has allowed the luckiest cockroach to continue to put SAR personnel at risk for no reason other than the cockroach is too stupid to stay on dry land. Stop it! Quit trying to rig the election! Either he makes it safely ashore or he doesn't, same as every other seafarer.

69er...that's as good a guess as any, but only a starting point. The cockroach could be damn near anywhere over a pretty large area. For the people suggesting a SAR...for all we know, even if found Rimas may not want to be rescued and may refuse to abandon his boat. Calling on SAR merely to assuage the guilt of the FB enablers is just putting responders lives at risk.

16 hours ago, RKoch said:

I don't think anyone here is being heartless, just fully cognizant of the result when Dunning-Kruger has a head-on with Charles Darwin. While it may be a premature conclusion now, it is an inevidable ending. For heartless, I think you have to look at those people who gave him a piece of shit boat, with full knowledge he was incompetent at sailing it and unable to maintain it, and then urged his departure by cheering him on to his demise. 

A little like this:

So I haven't remotely read this whole thread. In fact, when it was at the top of the forum after I checked in after a few years away, I was stunned.

So my question is where is the link to his tracker?

2 hours ago, benwynn said:

If he is never heard from again, we go with the time of the last ping.  Unless reports of a rescue or tow surface later with a new time. 

I understand and accept the judges' ruling but if he is not heard from again I'm going to imagine that he called for a tow when I said he would and declare victory. Winning.

22 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

There is a  greater easterly component now

http://www.buoyweather.com/forecast/marine-weather/@-15.6177465476132,-175.59722900390625

So if Mimsy is still floating irregardless of Rimas's state  I offer the vessel is somewhere around here~~~~~

If Rimas does some how make landfall safely ...is it then OK to  interfere by contacting the local authorities asking for a SAR....Seek and Return

RiSat.jpg

Forecast to go SSE this aft, and easing off.

23 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I understand and accept the judges' ruling but if he is not heard from again I'm going to imagine that he called for a tow when I said he would and declare victory. Winning.

Winning,   But in 2020 the boat will be found amid the garbage in the gyre or on Henderson Island.  I'm the spoiler that will delay celebration, whenever he disappears, unless the boat is recovered first.   Long may the poetry continue. 

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/07/ocean-plastic-patch-south-pacific-

Just now, SailBlueH2O said:

So much to go wrong and so little to go right for Rimas....I hope he survives and had an epiphany clinging to the interior of Mimsy.... 

linear.png

Epiphany is not in Rimas's vocabulary.  If he is rescued or towed in (yet again) he'll be boasting  that his survival is because of his bluewater sailing skills, and the only reason he didn't make port is because the wind conspired against him. His whole act is a charade, to get people to pay attention to him, bestow flattery upon him, and give him money.

45 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

There is a  greater easterly component now

http://www.buoyweather.com/forecast/marine-weather/@-15.6177465476132,-175.59722900390625

So if Mimsy is still floating irregardless of Rimas's state  I offer the vessel is somewhere around here~~~~~

If Rimas does some how make landfall safely ...is it then OK to  interfere by contacting the local authorities asking for a SAR....Seek and Return

RiSat.jpg

I'll guess at sunrise today he'll be 

15.60 and 179.00

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

I think he intended to stop, but tow didn't materialize. 

Exactly....

Rimas

Jul 20, 2017 12:16:45 PM

Good morning. I called on the radio many times no answer now iam thinking tto sailing to austrlia i called this morng agin but nothing happens 
Speed: 3.11 mph Course: W
Elevation: 40.98 ft. Batt: Normal
Lat: -14.618328 Lon: -170.856478

5 minutes ago, Varan said:

Exactly....

Rimas

Jul 20, 2017 12:16:45 PM

Good morning. I called on the radio many times no answer now iam thinking tto sailing to austrlia i called this morng agin but nothing happens 
Speed: 3.11 mph Course: W
Elevation: 40.98 ft. Batt: Normal
Lat: -14.618328 Lon: -170.856478

There can be no doubt he intended to stop. He knew he could get all the help he needs there. Plus we think, but do not know (IIRC), if he skipped out on harbor fees. The other telling point? The Starbucks located at 5347 N Blackstone Ave.

Today's weather in Fiji is mostly claudy, 85% chance of rain. Doesn't appear the Delorme solar charger will work. He'll be well past Fiji when he communicates again. 5 or 6 hundred miles west is Vanuatu. Hopefully he still has Ramen and a jar of cocktail garnishes in the locker.

While we wait for our illustrious hero's next ping, lets do a poll. This will tell us how much extra time we'll have on our hands should his last ping be his final communication.

"How many minutes/hours per week do you spend following Rimas on his journey to the pearly gates?"

Answer: About 4 hours per week

19 minutes ago, dgauci said:

While we wait for our illustrious hero's next ping, lets do a poll. This will tell us how much extra time we'll have on our hands should his last ping be his final communication.

"How many minutes/hours per week do you spend following Rimas on his journey to the pearly gates?"

Answer: About 4 hours per week

Winds to 28 make solo risky,    I still don't trust the outboard not to stall at the entrance.    Don't want to need a rescue or scratch the boat.   Weather will ease this eve.  

Don't get broadcast.

Finished Rich Wilson's book last night before mishap with DNR sent me home.

Finished binge watching NCIS season on Netflix while exercising.

I'll go see if the Enseneda that suddenly appeared last Sat  got his mast up yet. 

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Are you trying to be funny?

Why would you contact local authorities? What business is it of yours? Jeeze! Can't a deranged nincompoop deal with the situations of his own voluntary making?

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

So much to go wrong and so little to go right for Rimas....I hope he survives and had an epiphany clinging to the interior of Mimsy....

As in, a sailing epiphany? He's had plenty of opportunities for that in both storm conditions and totally becalmed. Didn't happen. Zero learned. Ever.

The only epiphany Rimas has had is that if you whine and brag enough, some spinster in Eugene will give you a Starbucks card.

SailBlueH2O, you are showing all the traits of an enabling troller. Why did you suddenly decide to butt in out of nowhere with your uninformed and out-of-context BS?

Im pretty sure the consensus on the thread as been that the problem with the cucaracha is not only that he grifts ..(personally speaking thats his business I could give a shit)   and that he cant sail (ditto I care less).....    but the big problem I have ......    Is That he calls the CG and SAR every time he gets near landfall...

Calling SAR as a landfall plan in inexcusable ....    we all get a mulligan sailing and get that one get out of the shit free SAR call.....  but Rimas by his own hard fought ignorance has lost the right to call SAR..

Chatted briefly with my friend in Savusavu. Only briefly, because they weren't in Savsavu. They'd pulled into Taveuni, because they'd just made the run up to Futuna and back, and had not made the final jump back to Savusavu. I don't think they would have stopped there if conditions didn't suck pretty hard.

She described it as a "wild ride". I don't think conditions out there have been very friendly for Rimas.

Sailing from Savusavu to Futuna is a common thing for cruisers hanging around Savusavu. Fiji has limits on how long you can stay in Fiji continuously; I think its a year or to. So every now and then all the long term cruisers than have been in Fiji too long have to go somewhere else, get their passports stamped for entry, then they can come back in and start the cycle over again.

I didn't warn her yet. She sounded tired from the slog up and back.

29 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Chatted briefly with my friend in Savusavu. Only briefly, because they weren't in Savsavu. They'd pulled into Taveuni, because they'd just made the run up to Futuna and back, and had not made the final jump back to Savusavu. I don't think they would have stopped there if conditions didn't suck pretty hard.

She described it as a "wild ride". I don't think conditions out there have been very friendly for Rimas.

Sailing from Savusavu to Futuna is a common thing for cruisers hanging around Savusavu. Fiji has limits on how long you can stay in Fiji continuously; I think its a year or to. So every now and then all the long term cruisers than have been in Fiji too long have to go somewhere else, get their passports stamped for entry, then they can come back in and start the cycle over again.

I didn't warn her yet. She sounded tired from the slog up and back.

Friends of mine in Fiji would go to NZ for several months each summer. They did that for 8 years or so.

at this point, unknown if Rimas sets foot in Fiji. Doesn't look like his boat will.

2 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

As in, a sailing epiphany? He's had plenty of opportunities for that in both storm conditions and totally becalmed. Didn't happen. Zero learned. Ever.

The only epiphany Rimas has had is that if you whine and brag enough, some spinster in Eugene will give you a Starbucks card.

SailBlueH2O, you are showing all the traits of an enabling troller. Why did you suddenly decide to butt in out of nowhere with your uninformed and out-of-context BS?

Geesh.  Have a beer, fellow.

33 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Been something like 40 hours now. I think the boat may be west of Fiji now, or en passant.

my guess he's at 16.00 and 179.00 or so That's a average speed of 2.6knts over 40 hrs. 

Oelelevu ( inhabited )!in Ringgold chain is at 16.08 179.15

Thikombis ( uninhabited )?15.44 & 179.56

Edited by 6924

Not unrealistic to assume he shredded his jib. Main was already ripped. When wind lets up he can sew up some semblance of a sail that gets him 3 knots downwind towards Vanuatu. 8-10 days maybe.

Will the judges adjudicate as to the date and time of the Rimas Flyby of Fiji event.......?

Do we then reset date, time, geologic structure for a new contest.....?

And for a poetic interlude...

La Cucaracha

La cucaracha, la cucaracha,
ya no puede caminar
porque le falta, porque no tiene
marihuana pa' fumar.

Ya murió la cucaracha
ya la llevan a enterrar
entre cuatro zopilotes
y un ratón de sacristán.

3 minutes ago, madohe said:

Will the judges adjudicate as to the date and time of the Rimas Flyby of Fiji event.......?

La Cucaracha

ya no puede caminar
marihuana pa' fumar.

Ya murió la cucaracha
ya la llevan a enterrar
entre cuatro zopilotes
y un ratón de sacristán.

Much too early.  Can't really set a specific time and date for a flyby, as he could still be pulled off the boat west of Fiji. When it appears he's outside Fijan territory, there were 2 punters who predicted 'swing and miss'.

27 minutes ago, madohe said:

La Cucaracha

ya no puede caminar
marihuana pa' fumar.

Ya murió la cucaracha
ya la llevan a enterrar
entre cuatro zopilotes
y un ratón de sacristán.

Did snaggs write that?

Engrish....

The cockroach

The cockroach, the cockroach,
can't walk anymore
because it's lacking, because it doesn't have
marijuana to smoke.

The cockroach just died
now they take her to be buried
among four buzzards
and a mouse as the sexton.

It's a side effect of interweb boredom syndrome, when you google search goofy shit because the FUBAR thread you follow on some reidikulous forum gets slow because you don't know if the protagonist is dead or alive......

9 minutes ago, Varan said:

Now that Rimas is dead, I snooped around other threads. Thus is a pretty boring place without the ReamMan.

Maybe we can raise $500 for a POS boat, and convince some mentally challenged homeless bum that they can be a famous world record sailor?

8 minutes ago, madohe said:

It's a side effect of interweb boredom syndrome, when you google search goofy shit because the FUBAR thread you follow on some reidikulous thread gets slow because you don't know if the protagonist is dead or alive......

let me help you with that....DEAD.    I'm pissed that now there is no Rimas sailing award...as we have slipped into the Darwin Award category overlap.

2 minutes ago, tatters said:

Maybe we can raise $500 for a POS boat, and convince some mentally challenged homeless bum that they can be a famous world record sailor?

Already been done.

IBS Interweb Boredom Syndrome, well the BS part is right. Nice poem BTW.

4 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

let me help with that....DEAD.    I'm pissed that now there is no Rimas sailing award...as we have slipped into the Darwin Award category overlap.

Is there a Venn Chart for that possibility......?

I barely got passed fluid dynamics....

The fluid being alcohol and the dynamic being male/female.....

It's what college was for.

Edited by madohe
I can't fuckin' speel

Here is status nearest I can discern showing;

Koch's predicted drift 

6924 predicted drift 

Rimas desired (?) course

Note the ring of rocks, reefs, and nasties crossing our hero's path

( tip of arrow indicates likely distance traveled in last 40 some hours )?

IMG_4958.PNG

9 minutes ago, 6924 said:

Here is status nearest I can discern showing;

Koch's predicted drift 

6924 predicted drift 

Rimas desired (?) course

Note the ring of rocks, reefs, and nasties crossing our hero's path

( tip of arrow indicates likely distance traveled in last 40 some hours )?

IMG_4958.PNG

So if the Decrepit Voyager sticks a landing on a geographical landmass such as an island, or a reef, or previously unknown volcano, before a predicted date, but is not found until a punter's predicted date, which is the definitive criteria, the date or the landmass?

Once again, NOOBS are mouthing off about Red Buttons, SAR, and other assorted shit. Let it be bros. He's had his mulligan, like 3 X.

Let's all allow nature to take its course. He's still out there ... with a dead battery. No biggie.

Let there be no more enabling talk. Next NOOB to bring it up has to actually read the thread. OK?

15 minutes ago, madohe said:

So if the Decrepit Voyager sticks a landing on a geographical landmass such as an island, or a reef, or previously unknown volcano, before a predicted date, but is not found until a punter's predicted date, which is the definitive criteria, the date or the landmass?

The terms of the contest are that the date of the event itself is the relevant date, insofar as that date can be determined if not witnessed.  As Koch alluded, the date relevant to a fly-by, defined as being beyond Fiji sphere of SAR influence, will have to be calculated by the judges.

Technically, a flyby exists from when he enters Fijian waters to when he leaves them. So there's not a specific time for the 'event'. As a couple punters specifically predicted a flyby with no time, they will win if this is the case.

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Technically, a flyby exists from when he enters Fijian waters to when he leaves them. So there's not a specific time for the 'event'. As a couple punters specifically predicted a flyby with no time, they will win if this is the case.

Gosh, when did this thread become about us?

This is like the movie 'What about Bob' except Bob was a better sailor than Rimas, Rimas isn't dead, he can't be, he still has two teeth.  He hasn't bothered charging the Delorme as it has been windy and cloudy.  I'm sure he will pop up in the next day or two and regret the fact that he didn't land on that small resort island.  I can just imagine the welcome he would have received.  He is not gone, just off line.