Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

3 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

If this thread is accurate and his engine and house batteries are dead and all he has is his handheld VHF, he can't count on hailing anyone outside of a handful of miles, right?  Unless Jean and company call for him, he can't summon help that will arrive in time to keep him off any reef he can't see and steer clear of himself?

When he was in Hawaii some people tried to resurrect the engine and declared it toast. I asked him if he would remove it to make more storage space for provisions and he said he sealed the hatches, by which I think he meant caulked. I don't think he has any way to charge his house battery.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

1 minute ago, chip said:

The DeLorme front end tries to show everyone times their local time zone. I think Tatters must be in Central Daylight Time, because his screenshots show 3:18pm. Mine shows 4:18pm in Eastern Daylight Time. Both of those are 8:18pm GMT, which is what Rimas Adrift says.

Ok, thanks Chip.  I knew I was going astray somewhere.

5 minutes ago, chip said:

The DeLorme front end tries to show everyone times their local time zone. I think Tatters must be in Central Daylight Time, because his screenshots show 3:18pm. Mine shows 4:18pm in Eastern Daylight Time. Both of those are 8:18pm GMT, which is what Rimas Adrift says.

Correct.  (and yes- I'm in central time)

21 minutes ago, clucas said:

Smokin' at 1 knot... 

rimas073017.png

Perfect timing for Rimas.  He can claim that "storm damage" is the reason he needs help.  Still, I would very much like to see the track between those last two pings.

31 minutes ago, groundhog said:

The time stamp is in GMT?  Then the message was sent at 17:18, not 20:18.

I'm going by the GMT time stamp on Rimas Adrift.

I am trying to call fiji coat guard no answer on the radio no main sails jib damagf

July 30, 2017 20:18:15 GMT

16.2897°S, 179.6562°W

Course: 259° at 2.31kts

is this correct?

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

I am trying to call fiji coat guard no answer on the radio no main sails jib damagf

16.2897°S, 179.6562°W

is this correct?

Yes.

11 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Has he already threaded the needle between the major reef systems on the right side of the chart?  Or does he still have to do that?

rimasdart.jpg

he is through those on right side . he is roughly at the R of text 'ring gold isles' 

the easiest for him is to go to North side of Rambi island, nice village and not so insane passage through reefs

Tabwewa boasts administrative buildings, a wharf, a post office, court house, a hospital, and a guest house – the only one on the island.

6 minutes ago, RKoch said:

16.2897°S, 179.6562°W

is this correct?

Yes, Chip helped straighten me out.  And had to take into account daylight savings as well to interpret what the Delorm shows me...

14 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Has he already threaded the needle between the major reef systems on the right side of the chart?  Or does he still have to do that?

rimasdart.jpg

He's passed the big stuff.

capture.jpg

Because Moderate came remarkably close to the actual time, I'm declaring him winner of a special prize, donated by a local sailing shop. PM me your addy if you want to claim it.

6 minutes ago, toddster said:

Nor any port. But there is a big beach suitable for lawn-darting.

Calling his shot.

You can not trust what he says. He should be in Alaska. A few posts before that he wanted Nawi island which appears a vacant island, next to a posh marina. 

very interesting! seems the currents over ruled the windage... and probably pulled the boat right into mid channel between the outer reefs... with mr been completely clueless inside drinking a tea...

2 minutes ago, 6924 said:

would there be fishing vessels and other small craft out where he is ?

Prob not after dark. And the only two ports of entry are Suva on one island, and Savusavu on the other. Since Rimas hasn't announced his arrival 48+ hours in advance, nor complied with any other clearing -in requirement, I suspect that calling in at any place other than a port of entry will only further his difficulties with customs and immigration officials.

My own experience in foreign countries... They have their rules and regulations. Sometimes they're easy, sometimes aggravatingly difficult. But do your best to fully comply, keep a happy and friendly demeanor, and don't give them a line of bullshit or arguement. In short, doing anything to piss them off just makes things worse for you.

18 minutes ago, 6924 said:

during daytime ?

ie right now ?

Small craft run around in daylight visual navigation. No GPS, radar, or even compass and charts. Typically don't run around at night. That's based on my experience in Carribean islands and coast, but island culture is pretty similar around the world. 

If no one shows up and tosses him a line as it begins to get dark and the he can see more land around him, his calls on the DeLorme will get increasingly frantic. He can always hit the SOS button on the DeLorme, but I wonder if he even knows it exists?

2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I googled in for a look around and it seems to be sparsely populated ...I didn't see any linear looking docks...or any boats of size. or cluster communities built back off the shore line

Local small boats probably pull up on the beach. Pangas are nearly worldwide now. Docks are for visiting cruisers, and foreign-owned sport fishing boats kept there permanently...that'd be my guess.

14 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Small craft run around in daylight visual navigation. No GPS, radar, or even compass and charts. Typically don't run around at night. That's based on my experience in Carribean islands and coast, but island culture is pretty similar around the world.

guess our hero is going to need to start learning PDQ how to paddle 

26 minutes ago, RKoch said:

... Since Rimas hasn't announced his arrival 48+ hours in advance, nor complied with any other clearing -in requirement, I suspect that calling in at any place other than a port of entry will only further his difficulties with customs and immigration officials...

This illustrates the genius of his plan to declare an emergency.  It's the perfect excuse for not complying with entry requirements.

It removes the need for:

skills

motor

anchor

papers

$$$

It's an elegant solution to so many problems.

2 minutes ago, clucas said:

Sprechen Sie Rimas?  "No consros tilles too damhgehere mondaz just curret pushing boat very not cllearo where end up"

rimas4.png

That's pretty bad. Rough translation: his sails are damaged, he's being carried by the current, and doesn't know where he'll end up.  Sounds like normal situation for Rimas...what's the emergency?

3 minutes ago, clucas said:

Sprechen Sie Rimas?  "No consros tilles too damhgehere mondaz just curret pushing boat very not cllearo where end up"

rimas4.png

I dont believe him. This was his ploy to get a tow into hilo. he said his steering was damaged. Im sure his english got worseaswell during the vhf call for help. Im sure he is also hoping to spur on his facebook friends to help hima s well.

No consros tilles too damhgehere mondaz just curret pushing boat very not cllearo where end up

Is that, "No control, tiller too damaged, here monday, just current pushing boat, not very clear where I end up"?

2 minutes ago, chip said:

No consros tilles too damhgehere mondaz just curret pushing boat very not cllearo where end up

Is that, "No control, tiller too damaged, here monday, just current pushing boat, not very clear where I end up"?

Bingo. I think you got it.

1 minute ago, chip said:

DIng, ding, ding.

7 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Any human with a pulse could jury-rig a tiller for a 30'.  

12 minutes ago, Captain Bligh said:

I dont believe him. This was his ploy to get a tow into hilo. he said his steering was damaged. Im sure his english got worseaswell during the vhf call for help. Im sure he is also hoping to spur on his facebook friends to help hima s well.

Captain Bligh has it...just one of Rimas many ways of declaring an "emergency" to mooch a free tow

2 minutes ago, 6924 said:

In a few short hours we went from 'hurrah Rimas you are still alive "

to 

"you stupid lame brain lazy dumb shit" 

He is just so frigg'n useless

Yea, it's a roller coaster. No one wants him to die, yet he's such a stupid lame-brain lazy idiot his actions invite death. Rather amazing he continues to live. That's why he's the cockroach.  The storm wasn't that bad...any reasonably prepared boat would have gone through unscathed. Rimas had 4 months in SF and another 12 in Hilo to prepare his boat. Instead, he spent his time at Starbucks sending FB friend requests to Eastern European spinsters.

12 minutes ago, chip said:

Yep, he's drifting straight at a reef 8 miles away at 2 knots. This is just like The Truman Show.

2 minutes ago, Sundreamer said:

Yep, he's drifting straight at a reef 8 miles away at 2 knots. This is just like The Truman Show.

Go the Rimas!  Make that reef your bitch!  Well prepared sailors have not made it this far.  The guy both pisses me off and amazes me with his blind luck.  

49 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Prob not after dark. And the only two ports of entry are Suva on one island, and Savusavu on the other. Since Rimas hasn't announced his arrival 48+ hours in advance, nor complied with any other clearing -in requirement, I suspect that calling in at any place other than a port of entry will only further his difficulties with customs and immigration officials.

My own experience in foreign countries... They have their rules and regulations. Sometimes they're easy, sometimes aggravatingly difficult. But do your best to fully comply, keep a happy and friendly demeanor, and don't give them a line of bullshit or arguement. In short, doing anything to piss them off just makes things worse for you.

I think he'll get less crap if he clears in Savusavu than in Suva. On the whole we found that the folks in Fiji were very friendly, and REALLY didn't want to deal with anything outside of normal. But they will want to visit the boat, I don't think they will clear him in if he arrives in Savusavu on a bus without the boat.

Example...I had three unopened bottles of gin on board when we arrived. They didn't want to know about them, but somehow it got brought to their attention (don't ask). When they found them, they wanted to know if I would drink them while in Fiji or leave with them. What they were getting at is that they didn't want to deal with them, and were happy enough to ignore them if I answered the questions right. The upshot of it was I had to go into Customs and fill out paperwork...it took had an hour to find someone who knew how to even calculate the duty. Sort of...their estimate was duty higher than the price of the gin. So I decided not to import it, which involved them sending someone out to my boat again to place stickers on a cabinet with the gin in it to "seal" it so I couldn't drink it while in Fiji. When we cleared out months later in Savusavu, the customs person in Suva wasn't at all interested in the stickers on my cabinet. I was fairly certain she wasn't even sure what I was talking about when I mentioned them.

In another incident...I totally forgot to renew our visas while I was there. Just slipped my mind, because we'd come in and out of the country by plane and a few other things. They folks in Savusavu were completely cool with it, and helped me get the right letters and waivers, even accepting a handwritten "I fucked up" letter from me on the spot. I had no trouble at all with that.

I don't think they are quite prepared for the weirdness that will be Rimas checking in. But I suspect Savusavu will roll with it because no one will know how to deal with it, and everyone there is too nice and polite to really want to stick it to him for showing up unannounced. I could be wrong, but without being forewarned of this guy's nature they will likely walk him through applying for an emergency waiver of the notification rules and welcome him with a big Bula! Of course, they will want their overtime if he comes in after hours.

22 minutes ago, 6924 said:

As far as I can tell, the volunteer CG no longer exists and the 300 man Fijian Navy is busy repairing its 12 patrol boats. 

There's not a lot of coastal SAR services there in Fiji. I never laid eyes on anything remotely approaching something like that.

13 minutes ago, longy said:

A handheld VHF with an old battery charge will be lucky to reach out 10 nm. No one can hear him cry.

Ah, but that's where the magic of Delorme satellite internet, and a small army of deluded enablers, comes into play!

14 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:
Fiji - Largest Cities
  Name Population
1 Suva , Central 77,366
2 Lautoka , Western 52,500
3 Nadi , Western 42,284
4 Labasa , Northern 27,949

I've been to three of those. Cities...yeah. I think they all have a McD's somewhere. At least Nadi and Suva do. I don't think Rimas knows about Maccas "Senior Coffee" and free Wifi. I'm not sure they honor that deal in Fiji though.

Savusavu is pretty small (no McDs), but that's where the cruisers and customs & immigration are. You can get a bus to Lautoka.

Clearing in Suva is more of a pain in the rear, since you need to go to separate places for Customs, Immigration, Biosecurity, and a tribal cruising permit.

If you think Rimas looks funny in women's blouses, wait until the first time someone gives him a sulu to wear.

8 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I think he'll get less crap if he clears in Savusavu than in Suva. On the whole we found that the folks in Fiji were very friendly, and REALLY didn't want to deal with anything outside of normal. But they will want to visit the boat, I don't think they will clear him in if he arrives in Savusavu on a bus without the boat.

Example...I had three unopened bottles of gin on board when we arrived. They didn't want to know about them, but somehow it got brought to their attention (don't ask). When they found them, they wanted to know if I would drink them while in Fiji or leave with them. What they were getting at is that they didn't want to deal with them, and were happy enough to ignore them if I answered the questions right. The upshot of it was I had to go into Customs and fill out paperwork...it took had an hour to find someone who knew how to even calculate the duty. Sort of...their estimate was duty higher than the price of the gin. So I decided not to import it, which involved them sending someone out to my boat again to place stickers on a cabinet with the gin in it to "seal" it so I couldn't drink it while in Fiji. When we cleared out months later in Savusavu, the customs person in Suva wasn't at all interested in the stickers on my cabinet. I was fairly certain she wasn't even sure what I was talking about when I mentioned them.

In another incident...I totally forgot to renew our visas while I was there. Just slipped my mind, because we'd come in and out of the country by plane and a few other things. They folks in Savusavu were completely cool with it, and helped me get the right letters and waivers, even accepting a handwritten "I fucked up" letter from me on the spot. I had no trouble at all with that.

I don't think they are quite prepared for the weirdness that will be Rimas checking in. But I suspect Savusavu will roll with it because no one will know how to deal with it, and everyone there is too nice and polite to really want to stick it to him for showing up unannounced. I could be wrong, but without being forewarned of this guy's nature they will likely walk him through applying for an emergency waiver of the notification rules and welcome him with a big Bula! Of course, they will want their overtime if he comes in after hours.

Further problems for Rimas is his lack of money. He can't even pay customs/im migrations fees, let alone buy food or repair his boat. They're much more likely to bend the rules for him if he demonstrates financial solvency. Showing up as a broke bum isn't going to get him much leeway. I'm positive the social safety net isn't intended for foreign tourists.

6 minutes ago, toddster said:

Current seems to be taking him right down the middle of the channel.  Looks like it's about an hour to the next tide.  Wonder what happens to the currents around those islands?  

this 

5 minutes ago, toddster said:

Current seems to be taking him right down the middle of the channel.  Looks like it's about an hour to the next tide.  Wonder what happens to the currents around those islands?  

I don't recall any super massive currents, but you can get them when there is an inlet in a reef and the tide is running. 

Knowing Rimas he'll find a way to get sucked right through. But many of the islands there a reefs almost up to the beach, and you need to anchor outside them and take the dink in.

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Further problems for Rimas is his lack of money. He can't even pay customs/im migrations fees, let alone buy food or repair his boat. They're much more likely to bend the rules for him if he demonstrates financial solvency. Showing up as a broke bum isn't going to get him much leeway.

Yes- but this is an "emergency".  He was actually heading to Alaska, but had to make an emergency landfall in Fiji.  

Oooops..... I'm sorry.

3 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Ah, but that's where the magic of Delorme satellite internet, and a small army of deluded enabllers, comes into play!

There is a long lag time between triggering a Delorme panic button & any response,as signal has to go thru their own system before getting transferred to the proper regional authorities.

Standard EPIRB is much faster, but still 3-5 hrs before anything is done, as they usually try to comfirm distress call by phone lines to contact list & second pass of satellite.

More than enuff time for the reefs to collect him.

1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

I don't recall any super massive currents, but you can get them when there is an inlet in a reef and the tide is running. 

Knowing Rimas he'll find a way to get sucked right through. But many of the islands there a reefs almost up to the beach, and you need to anchor outside them and take the dink in.

Anchor? Dink?  Surely you jest.

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Further problems for Rimas is his lack of money. He can't even pay customs/im migrations fees, let alone buy food or repair his boat. They're much more likely to bend the rules for him if he demonstrates financial solvency. Showing up as a broke bum isn't going to get him much leeway.

No, it's not. And even if he has money, it will be USD. No one in the government there really wants to take USD. So even if he has a few crumpled up, sweat stained bills he's going to have to change them.

Fiji doesn't ask any questions about solvency when you show up. They are used to people showing up without local currency though, but that does make your life a bit of a pain in the ass clearing in since the guys that come to your boat only take FJDs. So that's how I learned where the biosecurity office was, after finding an ATM.

1 minute ago, longy said:

There is a long lag time between triggering a Delorme panic button & any response,as signal has to go thru their own system before getting transferred to the proper regional authorities.

Standard EPIRB is much faster, but still 3-5 hrs before anything is done, as they usually try to comfirm distress call by phone lines to contact list & second pass of satellite.

More than enuff time for the reefs to collect him.

Eh I'm talking more about his land based Mission Control making calls on his behalf, as they have done before.

He used to have a dinghy one one of his earlier boats, you can see it in the video someone linked a few pages ago.  I wonder if he has flotation, a decent PFD etc.

Just now, RKoch said:
3 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Anchor? Dink?  Surely you jest.

I know. That's one reason it might get a little sticky for him if he doesn't lawn dart onto sand or get a tow in to a mooring in Savusavu.

"No consros tilles too damhgehere mondaz just curret pushing boat very not cllearo where end up" =

I am a worthless piece of shit who does not deserve the term mariner. I don't belong in the gene pool. 

9 minutes ago, Bull City said:

"No consros tilles too damhgehere mondaz just curret pushing boat very not cllearo where end up" =

I am a worthless piece of shit who does not deserve the term mariner. I don't belong in the gene pool. 

I'm certain that Rimas isn't contributing to the gene pool, despite his attempts at FB dating.

Delorme messaging: I forget the specifics, but even those messages are delayed. Plus he'd have to figure out how to read lat/long position of the display, write it down, and type it into his message. Odds of all that happening correctly are slim.

2 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Unless he has spares, every time he hits transmit is killing whatever batteries he has. 

Wherever he lands, they're getting a link to this thread.  

IDK about government, but I'd bet the coconut telegraph among cruisers is buzzing.  Anyone who makes eye contact will be a target of his mooching.

2 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Isn't Rimas 75 years old or more?

I believe him to be 64 or 65. He just started getting social security last year. Jean was badgering him since he turned 62, but he was too lazy to sign up.