• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

One of the perks of living in Sausalito area  is enjoying the company of the characters passing through.  I've had the experience of meeting both Hot Rod and Rimas.   I visited with Rimas a few times and actually spent a few minutes with him aboard Pier Pressure before he left for American Samoa.   I saw him on Mimsy too before his latest voyage. 

32 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I suspect that at some point soon Rimas will be detained in an immigration office, and he'll be on his FB page begging people to send money.

You get a free FB post now?  And a phone call too?

35 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

He's well past the time of yesterday's first ping.  I suppose if he fetched up somewhere overnight, Mimsy and the Delorme might be no more, or non-functional submerged in sea water.  Which is a problem for Rimas if he survives, no one will know where he is.  He may need all of his good luck now.  

The Delorme is waterproof.  Maybe not so much the charger.  Interesting how the battery life claims on the Delorme page suggest that it should go a month on a charge (with 30 minute ping interval.)   

Ill wager his steering is fine. that is code for "Facebookers(staff?),  call someone to come and get me. "

I also suspect he may not know what channel to use on his vhf. For all we know he is trying to transmit on a wx channel.

6 minutes ago, Captain Bligh said:

Ill wager his steering is fine. that is code for "Facebookers(staff?),  call someone to come and get me. "

I also suspect he may not know what channel to use on his vhf. For all we know he is trying to transmit on a wx channel.

No, I suspect through experience Rimas knows exactly where channel 16 is on his Cobra handheld, the red button.  In a few hours from now, we'll know exactly how his landing in Fiji played out.

A miracle he hit Fiji after two months from Hawaii.

2 minutes ago, axolotl said:

No, I suspect through experience Rimas knows exactly where channel 16 is on his Cobra handheld, the red button.  In a few hours from now, we'll know exactly how his landing in Fiji played out.

A miracle he hit Fiji after two months from Hawaii.

does his handheld have different power settings for transmitting?

Just now, Captain Bligh said:

does his handheld have different power settings for transmitting?

Undoubtedly.  Marine handheld VHFs power up @ 5w on channel 16 and you have to fiddle with the buttons to switch to other channels or power outputs.

Given light winds and possible shifting currents, I would not be surprised to see him still drifting in the middle of the last chart.  Nor surprised to see him grounded somewhere on it.

Therefore, he will somehow be tied to a dock at Nawi, doing a Captain Ron.  (The resort will have been completed since the last Google image.)  

Rimas has previously communicated on his handheld vhf. I think he knows how to operate it. What he probably doesn't know is that it has a short range...he's only talked to ships in sight and the USCG search plane overhead. It's also possible his VHF no longer works.

im sure his staff and cult are pestering Fiji to go get him. Since Rimas isn't in peril, only inconvenienced, and going to get him is a significant time and expense, Fiji probably figures they have better things to do than give a free concierge tow to an incompetent deadbeat entering the country illegally. If Rimas wrecks his boat it greatly simplifies things, Fiji just sends him home. If they tow him in, they have to provide free dockage for an extended period while Rimas surfs FB and panhandles among the tourists and locals. 

18 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Undoubtedly.  Marine handheld VHFs power up @ 5w on channel 16 and you have to fiddle with the buttons to switch to other channels or power outputs.

Years ago on a solo mac race i communicated easily with the CG on my hand held from 30+ miles.  I'm a radar engineer and was surprised.  Antenna gain is a two way thing.  Once they narrowed my position, they went to a different level of clarity.  Phased array?  Don't knock the hand helds, meaning, have it on you or in your ditch bag.  

10 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Years ago on a solo mac race i communicated easily with the CG on my hand held from 30+ miles.  I'm a radar engineer and was surprised.  Antenna gain is a two way thing.  Once they narrowed my position, they went to a different level of clarity.  Phased array?  Don't knock the hand helds, meaning, have it on you or in your ditch bag.  

Antenna height helps. CG stations have antennas on towers...of course aircraft have altitude. And they probably have pretty high gain antennas with a narrow vertical beam width.

4 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

"easily with the CG on my hand held from 30+ mi" ....thanks for the insight....like modern medicine....modern radio has come along way in my lifetime...

thing is where Rimas "was" last ping there are no narrow focused radio receivers searching for Rimas...more like inter island chatter about the local gossip.... ....his last ping was from the farthest Fiji territorial waters and the thinest population  

You, like this thread, are laughable.  

it is possible that the tiller had dry rotted where the bolt is and it can be pulled out of the bracket..but can be fixed..or rig up something.. But its all just a ploy to get help like no food or water 3 day story

1 hour ago, Captain Bligh said:

Probably hears the computer-generated voice and thinks it's a real person reading the weather.

"I here yoru taking but you no hera me hekp world famus saailor i only sailing 4 years"

2 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I know someone that met him in American Samoa. As soon as I mentioned his name she knew what he was, and mentioned how uncomfortable the whole thing was unprompted.

I met and spoke with Rimas at WIRW a few years ago.  I tried to get him to come out racing but he declined the offer.  FWIW, my impression of him was that he was mentally stable, and quite fit and healthy for his age. Being a polite Canuck, I did not ask the hard questions.....  

11 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

it is possible that the tiller had dry rotted where the bolt is and it can be pulled out of the bracket..but can be fixed..or rig up something.. But its all just a ploy to get help like no food or water 3 day story

Yup, happened to me on the Delta Ditch Run.  Here was my solution, good enough to get 3rd in class:

IMG_0520.JPG

10 minutes ago, AlienBowman said:

When Rimas last pinged yesterday he was about 10 nm from the closest reef and generally headed toward it.

He was only going a knot and a half. Unless there was a sea running, possibly little damage...although any damage at all is unrepairable by Rimas.

i hope someone is monitoring FB...I think the first news will be a post from Jean or Shannon saying they talked to Rimas on the phone.

My tiller broke off coming into the locks in Seattle once and I waved it around a bit and got concierge service, so I can see how Rimas plays it up. I figured I couldn't  get away with it every week, so I cut the end off and drilled a new hole for the bolt and it was good as new although a foot shorter.

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

I've seen a lot of stacked 5/8-wave arrays at CG shore stations--omni-directional with very flat lobes. I think around 3dB gain over 1/2-wave.

I've also seen yagis at shore stations and those are highly directional with tons of gain.

Also, variations of DF antennas like the image below.

I was south of Punta Abreojos, BC Sur and due to tropospheric ducting was talking to CG sector Long Beach as clear as if we were across the harbor from them. That was over 400 nautical miles. I was on 16, trying to hail commercial vessel maintaining a constant bearing on us. CG Long Beach broke in and informed me that CH 16 was for emergency and calling only. I gave them my lat/lon and asked if they had any commercial traffic in the area. 

VHF_df_antenna.jpg

Two broken tiller stories...first was in the mid-seventies when I was a teen. Broke tiller at 1/4 point on a 28' sixties-style ULDB. I was able to fashion a splint with some old battens and small line. We won the race. Second time was in the mid-late 80s. Friends had bought a Cat 27 and asked my help delivering it back overnight. It was in generally poor shape, surveyor did a poor job. Tiller had been wrapped in small line for decoration, and varnished over. Wood rotted underneath. Several squalls during the night, tiller broke right behind hand, then broke again right behind hand. By the time we got to friend's YC, we were steering with an 18" stump.

According to my calculator, he hit the bricks an hour ago.

BenWynn Rimas Grounding Calculator

Last Fix 7/30/17 11:19 PM   GMT
Fiji: 7/31/17 11:19 AM   Local

Target: North Shore of Natewa Bay
Distance: 30   nm
Speed: 1.25   kts
Hrs from fix: 24.0   hrs
Impact: 8/1/17 11:19 AM   Local
Impact: 7/31/17 11:19 PM   GMT
10 minutes ago, benwynn said:

According to my calculator, he hit the bricks an hour ago.

BenWynn Rimas Grounding Calculator

Last Fix 7/30/17 11:19 PM   GMT
Fiji: 7/31/17 11:19 AM   Local

Target: North Shore of Natewa Bay
Distance: 30   nm
Speed: 1.25   kts
Hrs from fix: 24.0   hrs
Impact: 8/1/17 11:19 AM   Local
Impact: 7/31/17 11:19 PM   GMT

Don't underestimate the primitive survival instincts of the cockroach. Somehow or another, he scammed a free tow. And he'll scam free dockage, free wifi, and free meals from the locals.

Judges for round 3

Kock, Ben, and by virtue of his incredible victory in round 2 ; Moderate.

Victor of round 1: Groundhog ( if he so chooses ) can take my place as records keeper ( I will be extensively traveling over next 8 weeks ) 

51 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

Yup, happened to me on the Delta Ditch Run.  Here was my solution, good enough to get 3rd in class:

IMG_0520.JPG

Hah! If that were a cocoon of bungee cords instead of braid this could actually be a Rimas repair.

Well done.

23 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

I've seen a lot of stacked 5/8-wave arrays at CG shore stations--omni-directional with very flat lobes. I think around 3dB gain over 1/2-wave.

I've also seen yagis at shore stations and those are highly directional with tons of gain.

Also, variations of DF antennas like the image below.

I was south of Punta Abreojos, BC Sur and due to tropospheric ducting was talking to CG sector Long Beach as clear as if we were across the harbor from them. That was over 400 nautical miles. I was on 16, trying to hail commercial vessel maintaining a constant bearing on us. CG Long Beach broke in and informed me that CH 16 was for emergency and calling only. I gave them my lat/lon and asked if they had any commercial traffic in the area. 

VHF_df_antenna.jpg

Are you still on southeast Asian women?

1 minute ago, 6924 said:

Judges for round 3

Victor of round 1: Groundhog ( if he so chooses ) can take my place as records keeper ( I will be extensively traveling over next 8 weeks ) 

I'll have to decline round 3 (not even sure what/when it is, as Rimas isn't going anywhere anytime soon). Let others take a turn. But I'll take any accolades offered for 'best judge ever'.  Moderate is going to like the prize...hope he posts a selfie.

9 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I'll have to decline round 3 (not even sure what/when it is, as Rimas isn't going anywhere anytime soon). Let others take a turn. But I'll take any accolades offered for 'best judge ever'.  Moderate is going to like the prize...hope he posts a selfie.

Please nominate a suitable replacement 

4 minutes ago, 6924 said:

Please nominate a suitable replacement 

How about Tom, Somebody Else, and current champ Moderate?

but hell, Rimas is going to loaf there for a year. Wait until it's looking like he's leaving and states a destination.

1 hour ago, AlienBowman said:

When Rimas last pinged yesterday he was about 10 nm from the closest reef and generally headed toward it.

Ya and heading straight for it.. but he probably just drifted  north right by it with his damn luck... I was going to say something yesterday but he's going so slow I doubt any grounding would be dangerous and if his FB  fan club would think he was in danger of hitting Texas Reef

7 minutes ago, Donovan said:

I think his lack of a ping today can only mean he's hit the bricks.  

Unknown. Batteries could be dead. Maybe got his tow and is tied up in customs/immigration. I think next word will be from Jean or Shannon on FB.

15 minutes ago, Bull City said:

So if Rimas makes it ashore alive and is picked up by local authorities, and is considered destitute, where would they send him? 

Back to US soil. Hawaii or Cali, whatever is cheapest. Rimas won't be able to choose where to go unless he pays for the ticket.

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Back to US soil. Hawaii or Cali, whatever is cheapest. Rimas won't be able to choose where to go unless he pays for the ticket.

betcha if he says 'I was trying to land on AS...' that's where the Fijians will take him

6 minutes ago, 6924 said:

betcha if he says 'I was trying to land on AS...' that's where the Fijians will take him

I don't think Fiji wants to piss off their island neighbors.  And although AS is a US Territory, I don't know that it counts as 'US soil' for deportation purposes.  Fiji def isn't obligated to send him to his destination. He'll be put on a flight to Hawaii or LA, depending on cost and seat availability, and dumped on the Tarmac there.

6 hours ago, Sundreamer said:

While we wait...... I'm sure I'd seen the captain before and it clicked. The hunting of the snark.

The Bellman himself they all praised to the skies—
   Such a carriage, such ease and such grace!
Such solemnity, too! One could see he was wise,
   The moment one looked in his face!

He had bought a large map representing the sea,
   Without the least vestige of land:
And the crew were much pleased when they found it to be
   A map they could all understand.

"What's the good of Mercator's North Poles and Equators,
   Tropics, Zones, and Meridian Lines?"
So the Bellman would cry: and the crew would reply
   "They are merely conventional signs!

"Other maps are such shapes, with their islands and capes!
   But we've got our brave Captain to thank
(So the crew would protest) "that he's bought us the best—
   A perfect and absolute blank!"

This was charming, no doubt; but they shortly found out
   That the Captain they trusted so well
Had only one notion for crossing the ocean,
   And that was to tingle his bell.

He was thoughtful and grave—but the orders he gave
   Were enough to bewilder a crew.
When he cried "Steer to starboard, but keep her head larboard!"
   What on earth was the helmsman to do?

Then the bowsprit got mixed with the rudder sometimes:
   A thing, as the Bellman remarked,
That frequently happens in tropical climes,
   When a vessel is, so to speak, "snarked."

But the principal failing occurred in the sailing,
   And the Bellman, perplexed and distressed,
Said he had hoped, at least, when the wind blew due East,
   That the ship would not travel due West!

Very good.

Google is fun. I typed in 'deportation from fiji' and this popped up...

http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/319931/us-seeks-more-info-from-fiji-over-deportation

If Rimas is denied entry, looks like he'd be sent back to LA. 

No matter how friendly and laid-back Fiji authorities may be, I can't see them allowing Rimas to stay if he can't demonstrate the means to support himself and repair his boat. It would be an invitation to future problems.

2 hours ago, 6924 said:

Judges for round 3

I'll have to think about that.  And yet to be determined what round 3 is going to be, or if there is one at all.  Perhaps the judges can propose some alternatives for discussion.

7 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I bet the tiller broke violently smacking the cockpit sides ....while Remas was dreaming of lollipops and rainbows to the hypnotic rhythm 

Oh oh, his tiller broke

chicken-choke.jpg.73ecbe92433fb85a9d8367bc7b5f0bac.jpg

Well I never looked very closely at Fiji, this is a learning experience. Amazingly sparsely populated on the eastern reaches of Vanua Levu, so it would do him no good to float into the neck of that long skinny bay. Really only Suvasuva would be advised, that looks like its about 90 miles from his last ping and through a 4 mile wide cut. Ignoring the improbability of it happening (as improbable as everything else to date) what is that, maybe 60 hours? I have a better question: What am I doing following this?

7 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

Well I never looked very closely at Fiji, this is a learning experience. Amazingly sparsely populated on the eastern reaches of Vanua Levu, so it would do him no good to float into the neck of that long skinny bay. Really only Suvasuva would be advised, that looks like its about 90 miles from his last ping and through a 4 mile wide cut. Ignoring the improbability of it happening (as improbable as everything else to date) what is that, maybe 60 hours? I have a better question: What am I doing following this?

Why? Well, you can sit and stare at a cigarette burn down to your fingertips, or stare at a tracker following a cockroach on a coconut drift from Hawaii to Fiji. We're easily amused.

Hang on, I'm going to get out my dog-eared, 1972 edition of one of my favorite books as a kid, none other than Dove by Robin Lee Graham (a true mariner, solo 16 year old navigating with a sextant) to see what he had to say about Fiji

The Suva Correctional Center (prison) is right across the street from the Suva Yacht Club, they can put Rimas right where can still see Missy until deportation.

i have a photo of the prison somewhere but can't find it right now.

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

I hope someone is keeping an eye on his page.

Not much going on there. Just a few well wishers expressing thoughts for his safety and reassuring themselves he's holed up in a coffee shop somewhere. 

I think he's on a remote reef somewhere. 

15 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

You could read about this guy who wrecked in Fiji in a modified 31 foot canoe. Nearly as great an adventure as Rimas:). http://wikivisually.com/wiki/Tilikum_(boat)

https://archive.org/details/venturesomevoyag002022mbp

2 minutes ago, 6924 said:

19,990 posts 

who will be the 20,000th ?

i had the 10,000th post and some ass hat mod deleted mine for some strange reason. lets see if i can make 9 more retarded posts to fit the mode of the topic here.

1 hour ago, madohe said:

The Malaita Gastronomical Society Women's Auxillary is trully disappointed, if indeed it's true, that Rimas cracked up in Fiji, and may be late for dinner......

illo039b.jpg

Yes, we have no Meleshyus. 

We have no Meleshyus today.

8 minutes ago, RKoch said:

4 years and 20,000 posts, and Rimas still hasn't gotten within 5000 miles of Cape Horn. 

what a fitting way to hit 20,000 ... In radio silence near  on the rocks,  concluding he hasn't done anything he said he would from the get go , other than break some world records of stupidity and grifting. i will admit, it's a damn cool form of begging, and way better than holding a sign up at a street corner, he has those junkies beat ! but i am pretty sure most of them are clinically insane.

i do wonder, does he even still have a flag to plant at south georgia after he rounds the horn ? maybe he can plant the chicken ? that would be a true lawn dart .

Decades ago I read Arthur Piver's books: Trans-Atlantic Trimaran, Trans-Pacific Trimaran, and Trimaran Third Book. Arthur Piver popularized the trimaran has an inexpensive home-built way to go cruising. The very thin books are a mixture of salesmanship and anecdotes of his adventures and the adventures of builders of his boats. He has an amusing style and the books are definitely entertaining.

Many of the home-builders were pretty much a combination of Hotrod and Rimas. Piver promoted a simplified celestial navigation and wrote another slim book called Noon Position. Many Rimases set out with their ramshackle boats and a copy of Noon Position and somehow bumbled their way across oceans. He cites multiple examples of people who were so amazed that celestial navigation worked at all, that at first sight of land they turned directly toward it and ran their boats straight onto whatever shore was ahead of them--rocks, sand, coral, whatever, often ruining their boat. Sort of an "Oh my God! Oh my God! I'm not going to die!!!" <crunch!>

10 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Decades ago I read Arthur Piver's books: Trans-Atlantic Trimaran, Trans-Pacific Trimaran, and Trimaran Third Book. Arthur Piver popularized the trimaran has an inexpensive home-built way to go cruising. The very thin books are a mixture of salesmanship and anecdotes of his adventures and the adventures of builders of his boats. He has an amusing style and the books are definitely entertaining.

Many of the home-builders were pretty much a combination of Hotrod and Rimas. Piver promoted a simplified celestial navigation and wrote another slim book called Noon Position. Many Rimases set out with their ramshackle boats and a copy of Noon Position and somehow bumbled their way across oceans. He cites multiple examples of people who were so amazed that celestial navigation worked at all, that at first sight of land they turned directly toward it and ran their boats straight onto whatever shore was ahead of them--rocks, sand, coral, whatever, often ruining their boat. Sort of an "Oh my God! Oh my God! I'm not going to die!!!" <crunch!>

Haven't read Piver. I'm aware that a lot of his boats met an ugly demise...poorly built home builds, sailed by neophytes.

I have collected a few books, mostly the early pioneers, pre-sixties. Some of them are captivating, others cringe-worthy. All  mostly DIY builds or refits. One note able thing about the cringeworthy writers...they admit their inexperience, analyze their mistakes, listen to experienced advice, and manage to improve their sailing and navigation skills....the opposite of Rimas. He'll always just be an entertaining clown. 

17 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

i will admit, it's a damn cool form of begging, and way better than holding a sign up at a street corner, he has those junkies beat ! but i am pretty sure most of them are clinically insane.

In some respects, yes- but in a couple of ways it's "damn uncool".

When Rimas departs, his plan from the start is to declare an emergency upon arrival.  His rescuers don't have a choice, unlike people who throw a little change to the beggar on the street corner.  Rimas essentially steals the time, money, and safety of his rescuers.

He also destroys goodwill for all the other sailors and cruisers, who are trying to do the responsible thing.  His actions create suspicion and resentment, and ultimately lead to increased regulation and headaches.

6 minutes ago, tatters said:

In some respects, yes- but in a couple of ways it's "damn uncool".

When Rimas departs, his plan from the start is to declare an emergency upon arrival.  His rescuers don't have a choice, unlike people who throw a little change to the beggar on the street corner.  Rimas essentially steals the time, money, and safety of his rescuers.

He also destroys goodwill for all the other sailors and cruisers, who are trying to do the responsible thing.  His actions create suspicion and resentment, and ultimately lead to increased regulation and headaches.

Exactly. I think that is exactly the attraction to a few members of his cult, like Jim Furnish. They dislike conventional and responsible cruisers. Reverse snobbery, like Brent Swain. So they send Rimas out there to upset the apple cart...get one over on those snobby yotties... It's the ultimate trolling.

Its very hard to believe he hasn't heard that sickening "thump" yet. He's gotta be firmly affixed to some ground or coral by now. Remember, he did just sit on the boat for days after the Alaska docking refusing rescue while waiting for the next king tide. 

9 hours ago, Bull City said:

Interesting. Has anyone posting here ever seen Rimas in person?

Yup.  Lived across the road from him in Hawaii before he bounced, even toured his boat and saw his yellowed newspaper clippings... he's real.... real crazy too.  Nice guy though.

21 minutes ago, Timmys_Trick_Turkey said:

Deliberately bad spelling, abysmal seamanship, abnormally lucky, supported by hovian wannabees and a mystery benefactor.. Trot out the free russian vodka. Its the 2017 version of void ho, committed to dismantling all notions of seamanship, preparation and commonsense.

hey 3T,,, good to see you, it's been a while,, I'm beginning to think it's a Turkey Vulture you are,,, you always seem to appear at the 'Demise' section of these looong trainwrecks,,, usually around the 20,000 post mark.

you may have missed it, but Rimas has been continuously trying to recruit one just like you, seems his last chicken flew the Rawson, time for the big bony version. :mellow: