Jump to content

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • RKoch

    2725

  • bfloyd4445

    1844

  • couchsurfer

    1533

  • Excoded Tom

    958

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

"Maybe a passing local fisherman who has a smart phone or laptop with internet connection can pass a message to us on Facebook from him..."

LOL.  Clueless twit....

IDK about in Fiji but over here in Indo just about everybody is a Facebook Slave and just about everybody has either some cheap chinese smart phone or samsong tablet and internet pulsa on their sim card ... I think a passing fisherman is more likely to snap a Photo of Rimus in his Capt outfit on the rocks and share it on their FB like the tourists do with monkeys they see on the side of the road here..On another note triple T says tugboats have been snaking up n down the coastal regions trying all day in vain searching and that Rimus may have " Bounced" around the island ... How Remus showed up on AIS ...IDK???? my best guess is this.........

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RKoch said:

No sign of boat...either he's floated back out to sea and is drifting to Vanuatu, or they're looking for a body.

We have yet to see any conclusive evidence that any type of search is under way.  If mimsy is lost, the saga may be over. If he is ashore somehow, he will eventually popup on the interwebs.  It seems like the chance mimsy drifting back out to sea is rather minimal given wind direction and current from his last position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Captain Bligh said:

We have yet to see any conclusive evidence that any type of search is under way.  If mimsy is lost, the saga may be over. If he is ashore somehow, he will eventually popup on the interwebs.  It seems like the chance mimsy drifting back out to sea is rather minimal given wind direction and current from his last position.

Ya...no way drifting back up current through the key hole eastward from his last plingon... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some Fijans don't have running water or electricity, particularly outside the urban centers like Suva. I doubt a Panga fisherman carries a phone or laptop, or even owns them. Pangas don't even have compasses...maybe a well off fisherman has a vhf, but most wouldn't. If a fisherman spotted Rimas, they'd report it to the village chief when they got ashore. Maybe the chief reports it to the authorities. 3 days...probably he would have turned up by now if he was still in Fiji and alive. He either went back out to sea, or he's dead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

Ya...no way drifting back up current through the key hole eastward from his last plingon... 

Reversing current...tide comes in, and it goes out. SE wind and outgoing tide...flushed back out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

"...he can't hear my calls and I can't locate him." - Jean Mondeau

Rimas is on his own. Hopefully holed up in a thatched hut on a beach eating poi with a nice plump friendly Rubenesque island woman.

Solar charger on Delorme would still work. 

if he's chilling out ashore without clearing in, he'll be turned over to police and be deported....which is the best case scenerio.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Jean Mondeau His next boat will be a wind surfer. He has already lost two quality fiberglass dinghys (so I can't give him another one of those) and killed two awesome boats (same story). Time to try windsurfing with a strap on cooler."

"Jean Mondeau I gave him his dream and he makes of it what it is. A bit sad and very frustrating for me."

"Jean Mondeau We give our children cars and hope for the best. It's not much different."

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Varan said:

While we all sat and watched...

Not much that can be done. The enablers are determined to help him get as far as possible from the inevidable rescue. He's been reported to CG, they know he's incompetent. They can't do much..."manifestly unsafe" refers to the boat and intended voyage, not captains ability. Pass the basic CG 'inspection' and any moron can go to sea. It would have required a family member or personal friend to have him Baker Acted...and that's just a temporary hold for mental evaluation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rawlings said:

"Jean Mondeau His next boat will be a wind surfer. He has already lost two quality fiberglass dinghys (so I can't give him another one of those) and killed two awesome boats (same story). Time to try windsurfing with a strap on cooler."

"Jean Mondeau I gave him his dream and he makes of it what it is. A bit sad and very frustrating for me."

"Jean Mondeau We give our children cars and hope for the best. It's not much different."

 

 

I think it's not much different from giving a car to a six year old who is somehow completely unfamiliar with cars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Jean didn't just give a 5 year old a gun, he bought bullets and loaded it for him. 

Rimas is an adult making his own choices.   If Jean feels guilt then he should hire a tow instead of asking somebody else to pick up the pieces.  Otherwise he should sit back and watch with the rest of us.   Fuji has no responsibility to clean up after Rimas unless they assign themselves that responsibility.   If somebody sees the cockroach then it is only right to toss him a line, but why should anyone go roach hunting?   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lark said:

Rimas is an adult making his own choices.   If Jean feels guilt then he should hire a tow instead of asking somebody else to pick up the pieces.  Otherwise he should sit back and watch with the rest of us.   Fuji has no responsibility to clean up after Rimas unless they assign themselves that responsibility.   If somebody sees the cockroach then it is only right to toss him a line, but why should anyone go roach hunting?   

Why go find him?  Because we want to see him do it again.  Despite all his ineptness, we are amazed he can drift across an ocean and survive.  But it looks like his luck has come to an end.  I stick with my prediction that he, perhaps dead, and what's left of Mimsy are on that reef northeast of Rabi Island.

Will there be another chapter in the Rimas saga?  I hope so because it's so fun to watch.

Now, back to work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lark said:

Rimas is an adult making his own choices.   If Jean feels guilt then he should hire a tow instead of asking somebody else to pick up the pieces.  Otherwise he should sit back and watch with the rest of us.   Fuji has no responsibility to clean up after Rimas unless they assign themselves that responsibility.   If somebody sees the cockroach then it is only right to toss him a line, but why should anyone go roach hunting?   

I don't know what Fiji is doing, perhaps you'll enlighten us. Fiji doesn't have much SAR resources, and unlikely to use them looking for a FB poster who's been quiet for a few days...Rimas hasn't declared a mayday. I agree that Rimas is responsible for his actions, or lack of actions (like learning to sail or preparing/maintaining his boat). However, without the enablers, he doesn't get very far. Most recently, harbormaster in Hilo would have seized the boat for non-payment of bills had enablers not helped Rimas provision and leave. Without a boat, it's pretty unlikely to end up shipwrecked in Fiji. All we really know is that Jean arranged a tow...probably for hire, not govt...but Rimas's location is still unknown. I doubt Jean is kicking in for a search.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Forest Products shipping port. IAW cutting, trimming and shipping logs.   

Interesting. Thanks. Looks like it may actually be a tug after all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been ignoring this thread for years. Recently I gave up and decide to figure out why this is been going on for so long. Now I'm like a crack addict. I keep checking every few minutes to see if there has been any news. I hate myself for opening the thread. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of buying Rimas a new jib in SF, had Jean dropped a solid mooring and chained/padlocked Rimas to it, Rimas would still be in Richardson Bay  prattling away about sailing around Cape Horn to S. Georgia Island and planting an American flag on British territory. That was several tows and rescues ago....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SailBlueH2O said:

hmmm....ultimately it has all been Rimas's decisions....responsibility and consequence....so far no innocent parties have been injured other than a bit out of pocket and perhaps a little regret....

Yep. So far...

Link to post
Share on other sites

....soooo Rimas is known to be near Fiji,,, but the mighty Mimsy is disappeared,, at least to us.

      Maybe this is the best outcome,,, instead of a tow, and dealing with national bureaucracy,,, perhaps he's going to quietly settle in with the local populous,,,, Lord Jim style?      

                         It'd be an ending to what we see,,, but sweet continuance for the little rat. :mellow:

 

...only difference... LORD RIM.,,, they should be fine with that.  

Image result for lord jim movie poster

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's likely the ending we all predicted. Relying on the CG for rescues all the time has proved successful for him, "the coast guard has been good to me".  They have bailed him out every time, - Alaska, SF, Hilo,  and A.S. Why would he think that he wouldn't get that kind of help everywhere?    The first time they are not readily available, he misses his destination completely. Now second time (a week later), no one responds to his call for a rescue and he likely ran mimsy up on a reef or island. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Captain Bligh said:

It's likely the ending we all predicted. Relying on the CG for rescues all the time has proved successful for him, "the coast guard has been good to me".  They have bailed him out every time, - Alaska, SF, Hilo,  and A.S. Why would he think that he wouldn't get that kind of help everywhere?    The first time they are not readily available, he misses his destination completely. Now second time (a week later), no one responds to his call for a rescue and he likely ran mimsy up on a reef or island. 

.....right beside a small fishing villiage, with it's own kavakava and Taro plantation,,, and a dear rotund woman, wishing for a mate.   They'll open a bar on Mimsy, where it sits lawn-darted on the beach,,,, and Rimas will pick up ukulele. :rolleyes:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Captain Bligh said:

It's likely the ending we all predicted. Relying on the CG for rescues all the time has proved successful for him, "the coast guard has been good to me".  They have bailed him out every time, - Alaska, SF, Hilo,  and A.S. Why would he think that he wouldn't get that kind of help everywhere?    The first time they are not readily available, he misses his destination completely. Now second time (a week later), no one responds to his call for a rescue and he likely ran mimsy up on a reef or island. 

Yep. I hope this is the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's morbid to think, but he's probably finally run out of luck. He can't sail upwind, he doesn't know basic navigation, and he was surrounded by reefs and lee shores. One medium sized impact with a reef could damage the Delorme beyond use, leaving him without any voice to the outside world.

Of course, I could be wrong. I thought the same thing when he disappeared from Richardson bay and figured his luck had run out. But he proved us wrong back then, so maybe he can do it again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he is lost, what will happen to this thread. Will it turn into a memorial of "I told you so"s? We can't say that we haven't been entertained/fascinated by it all. In today's world of Kardashians and reality shows I think Rimas should have found a way to monetize his "adventure". Maybe he is still alive and will use crowd source $ to cheat death another day and entertain us all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Yep. I hope this is the end.

I don't want him dead, but I wouldn't mind him losing boat by wreck or seizure, and being deported back to US. Best case scenerio for all concerned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we never hear from him again, we need to send out a research team to find out what happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Captain Bligh said:

If we never hear from him again, we need to send out a research team to find out what happened.

Sounds like a job for BJ.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Untitled.png

Jean should concentrate on his own boat and skills, and not try to be Henry Higgins. Rimas is a homeless drifter, that's all he'll be, and he won't be a competent sailor 'if only given an opportunity'.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Enough talk about Coast Guard rescues.  He's been lucky enough to approach landfall in CG patrolled areas before (even American Samoa has a presence, a Coast Guard Marine Safety Detachment Unit). USCG District 11 assets included In the Pacific Basin are:   Coast Guard vessels and aircraft patrol not only the waters around the Hawaiian Islands, but also Guam, Northern Marianas Islands, American Samoa, and other U.S. territories in the Pacific.  That's it.

Rimas screwed up.  He sailed outside the realm of USCG assistance and is now stuck where SAR activities are primitive and reefs are deadly.  Fiji was not a good place to make landfall, although it appears it's not his choice to make, with his Kon-Tiki style and all. 

Surely we'll learn what came down in the next few weeks, and I think it'll be ugly.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Fiji does not have the Saudis paying for comms, to link clerics, nor a cashed up enough public to pay for it ongoing.

Balderdash!  WiFi is easily available in most communities, a 128kBs home connection is available for $40/mo, and transient connections are available:

Hotels - Free to $50 / day  Backpacker Lodgings - around $10/hr  Internet Cafe's - around $5 / hr (usual full facilities)  Coffee Shops - Free to $10 / hr

Of course, not available on outlying reefs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm... Jean says "maybe I should have chosen a better candidate." Perhaps it was a private sociological experiment after all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately Rimas will pass into legend, like DB Cooper, and we'll muse over whether he's out there headed for Cape Horn at last, or chilling on the same island where Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and Hendrix live.

Jean is some kind of special though.  How hard would have it have been to say, "no, Rimas, I'm not giving you another boat until you demonstrate the following skills to me."  If Rimas actually knew how to sail he might have valued his sails more, knowing how to use them, ditto for the rest of his gear.  On the other hand he might have given up his dream entirely realizing that sailing can actually be hard and that he'd just been incredibly lucky to not have died at sea so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Balderdash!  WiFi is easily available in most communities, a 128kBs home connection is available for $40/mo, and transient connections are available:

Hotels - Free to $50 / day  Backpacker Lodgings - around $10/hr  Internet Cafe's - around $5 / hr (usual full facilities)  Coffee Shops - Free to $10 / hr

Of course, not available on outlying reefs.I

Internet Services

Fiji's connection to the Internet is good in some places, but patchy in some of the more remote islands or no service at all. There are wi-fi hot spots in various locations. Using skype and other services is quite viable provided the hotel/resort has a reasonable connection. 

For visitors, most Hotels have Internet Kiosks and there are a wide range of Internet Cafe's. Wi-Fi Internet Services are getting popular in Suva, Nadi and Port Denarau. For Sailors, there are limited facilities in most Marina's however Wi-Fi services are slowly becoming popular (Vuda Marina for example). Fiji Airports have full Wi-Fi service across the terminals. 

If travellers have a smartphone, iphone, laptop, or ipad with them, they can buy a prepay plan with Vodafone Fiji or with Digicel Fiji.  Ensure the phone is "unlocked" from another carrier.

Charges

These vary depending on where you want to use the services. Be aware that Fiji is still expensive to offer Internet services so don't be surprised if there are rates such as $10 / hour being touted. 

Hotels - Free to $50 / day

Backpacker Lodgings - around $10/hr

Internet Cafe's - around $5 / hr (usual full facilities)

Coffee Shops - Free to $10 / hr 

Prepay Internet Plan via Vodafone or Digicel - you may buy a sim card (or sim+USB dongle package), fit it to your smartphones, iphones, ipads, laptops, then be able to surf the Internet anytime you want maybe at lower cost. For example $15 can get you 500MB of traffic - fairly decent amount if you only do emails and check websites. At Nadi aiport's arrival hall there's outlets. If you have time, make you can get your devices setup properly before leaving the store. 

Both Digicel and Vodafone offer promotional pre-paid data bundles. For example Vodafone's $1.99 day pass for 350MB for a day or $5.99 weekly pass for 650MB of data. 

To purchase a pre-paid data bundle on Vodafone dail, *555# OR *777# and follow the prompts on the screen.  

Wi-Fi Service Providers 

Tomizone

A Wi-Fi service provider in Hotels, Marinas and Coffee shops with rates from $9 / hr

Global Gossip

A Wi-Fi and Cable service provider in Hotels with rates from $10 / hr

Intertouch DoCoMo

Hotel Services at rates from $40 / day 

MOBILE PHONE COMPANIES 

Vodafone Fiji

Not all outer islands have 3G, especially up in some of the remote islands in the Yasawas. However most of the main centers have 4G such as Nadi, Suva, Lautoka and Denarau.

Digicel Fiji

Also a good service provider. Check the coverage areas and locations for stores on their websites.

Sim cards are available for iphones and ipads

Connect from Telecom Fiji Limited (TFL)

This provider is the permanent connection provider in Fiji and sells Internet connections on a long term basis

**********
Above is the the entire article. It sounds like Internet is mostly only available in tourist areas. And very expensive.  Low chance of Internet in rural villages, probably none on smaller islands. Not a chance of Rimas being able to buy Internet time.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, axolotl said:

Enough talk about Coast Guard rescues.  He's been lucky enough to approach landfall in CG patrolled areas before (even American Samoa has a presence, a Coast Guard Marine Safety Detachment Unit). USCG District 11 assets included In the Pacific Basin are:   Coast Guard vessels and aircraft patrol not only the waters around the Hawaiian Islands, but also Guam, Northern Marianas Islands, American Samoa, and other U.S. territories in the Pacific.  That's it.

Rimas screwed up.  He sailed outside the realm of USCG assistance and is now stuck where SAR activities are primitive and reefs are deadly.  Fiji was not a good place to make landfall, although it appears it's not his choice to make, with his Kon-Tiki style and all. 

Surely we'll learn what came down in the next few weeks, and I think it'll be ugly.

 

 

57 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Hmmm... Jean says "maybe I should have chosen a better candidate." Perhaps it was a private sociological experiment after all.

I agree, he was counting on USCG type of rescue and not available in Fiji.  As for a better candidate, what a terrible thing to say.  Kind of like the candidates in the LOST TV series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jean wants another candidate to sponsor (already.....  before the body is found even)... count me in Jeano old mate/ comrade. Does western union money transfer to monrovia sound ok to you ?.

It is like game of thrones season 168, episode 40572 when you emerge from the home theater room stubbly and anaemic and dazed, hoping it isnt really over, but ready to smack yourself upside the head for wasting so much of your life on it. Whatever possessed me to spend so much of my life reading 205 pages of this, AFTER having followed the Reid Stowe saga.  Its like a near miss walking across the highway. After the shock of it, life is so much brighter and interesting and you feel like you should be spending time on maintaining the boat and getting back out there,  Yeah Yeah mum, I will go outside and play, but just a quick look at this other thread..... "Round the world in a J24 backwards" sponsored by an unknown benefactor, with russian overtones and cheered on by a hovian horde of ghostwriters...  has all the ingredients of a winner winner chicken dinner. Living life through the wonder of radio....  time I turned this off and took the boat out again....  Looking for an enabler which will allow me to dodge all my civil, social , moral, family,country, financial and legal responsibilities....cmon Jean, save the last dance for me,....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Ultimately Rimas will pass into legend, like DB Cooper, and we'll muse over whether he's out there headed for Cape Horn at last, or chilling on the same island where Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and Hendrix live.

Jean is some kind of special though.  How hard would have it have been to say, "no, Rimas, I'm not giving you another boat until you demonstrate the following skills to me."  If Rimas actually knew how to sail he might have valued his sails more, knowing how to use them, ditto for the rest of his gear.  On the other hand he might have given up his dream entirely realizing that sailing can actually be hard and that he'd just been incredibly lucky to not have died at sea so far.

Well, then why give him sails at all?  He clearly demonstrated no need or desire for them -- get him a bathtub to float around in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jasonbo said:

I am surprised there isnt one person on this forum located somewhere nearby

Hard to know who's  "nearby" when we don't know where Rimas is. There are several SA  posters in the SW Pacific.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

As shown above, even someone in Fiji  online with net access will not be close to him.

 

The story is very much like the rich kid at the school canteen with a big bag of lollies, trying to buy friends and encouraging the poor dumb kid to self harm in exchange for a lolly.  Do we praise the dumb kid for being desperate and dumb, or praise the rich kid ?  They are both equally tragic, but in the end, it is the rich kid who walks home alone...

Link to post
Share on other sites

From a day of MarineTraffic pings, it looks as if dive boats from the resorts get out to the reefs every few days.  That's mainly what I was thinking:  "I wish I was diving that reef with those guys instead of sitting at my desk reading this stupid thread..."

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Donovan said:

 

I agree, he was counting on USCG type of rescue and not available in Fiji.  As for a better candidate, what a terrible thing to say.  Kind of like the candidates in the LOST TV series.

Jean likes to promote low budget sailing...which is great. The problem is that low budget also means acquiring some DIY skills, of which Rimas has none. Also, people wanting a free boat rarely have the means to maintain it, let alone refit it, and it just becomes a marine homeless camp or abandoned derelict again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Let's see if this works better than my last attempt via my phone ;).  From the Book of Faces:
 
 
Jeff Hames ‎Jean, when you say he is "off the coast of Rabi Island", how do you know? When did you hear from him last and where exactly was he? How do you know he turned the tracker off? Do you have any info other than what we can see from the Delorme tracker? Many people are worried and would like to know.
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
1
· 2 hrs · Edited
Remove
Jean Mondeau
Jean Mondeau I have the tracker codes. Sorry I can't release them. His tracker is off.
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Rimas comes to an unhappy end, I wonder if any attorneys out there might opine on the culpability of Jean for supplying boats and equipment to an obvious incompetent?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

WiFi is rather different to a 3 or 4G wireless signal for range... yes? The real difference is also the backhaul where over many Indo Islands a mix of chunky microwave & or fibre loops tie it toegether, via the central scruitinser that slows it all down.

 

Yep, WiFi is only a few hundred yards at best, phone data connections are more longe range ( a few miles) and much more expensive.  Surely Rimas has no phone so the only way he can comm is in an Internet Cafe or similar.  The Spot pinger is shut down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to Knothead for the image and apologies to Weird Al and Coolio for the lyrical inspiration.....

 

Grifting and drifting, ignoring advice
Living in a Rimas paradise
No hard work or sacrifice
Living in a Rimas paradise
Crashed into a landmass once or twice
Living in a Rimas paradise
We've been wasting most our lives
Satirizing a Rimas paradise

IMG_2228.JPG.ade4316028dc7a65f8bf01a504c96533.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Fiji does not have the Saudis paying for comms, to link clerics, nor a cashed up enough public to pay for it ongoing......  YOU GOTTA READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bull City said:

If Rimas comes to an unhappy end, I wonder if any attorneys out there might opine on the culpability of Jean for supplying boats and equipment to an obvious incompetent?

Legal culpability - probably none. Moral culpability is up to Jeans maker. I'm not a lawyer, BTW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

There is a picture a few pages back showing his toys, 3G phones were a part & if reception was available would make emergency call. Sim card registration would bar it from hitting the net.

What form of barter or currency would  Rimas use, if he was on one of the distant islands with connection?

Maybe when a reef shark gets caught & gutted in a few weeks, the discovery of silent Delorme and a few bones, will solve the mystery.

A while back (2 years ago?) Rimas dropped his phone overboard. I am not aware of it being replaced...someone would have had to bought him one and paid for service. Fiji prefers their own currency, dollars have to be exchanged. But Rimas has little cash on him.... I don't think he even has enough for customs/immigration fees. He has 2 months of SS checks due him, but idk how they can easily be cashed and money wired to him, unless he made some arrangements before leaving Hawaii. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RKoch said:

I don't want him dead, but I wouldn't mind him losing boat by wreck or seizure, and being deported back to US. Best case scenerio for all concerned.

This ^^.

Jean is an idiot. We don't give our kids cars and hope for the bests. We send them to fucking driving school and make them pass a test, then we watch them, monitor them driving at night or with friends, insure them, put them in the safest car we can afford, and teach them to check the oil and the tire pressure.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RKoch said:

 He has 2 months of SS checks due him, but idk how they can easily be cashed and money wired to him, unless he made some arrangements before leaving Hawaii. 

Jean should start posting on facebook as rimas so he can keep cashing those SS checks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, axolotl said:

Balderdash!  WiFi is easily available in most communities, a 128kBs home connection is available for $40/mo, and transient connections are available:

Hotels - Free to $50 / day  Backpacker Lodgings - around $10/hr  Internet Cafe's - around $5 / hr (usual full facilities)  Coffee Shops - Free to $10 / hr

Of course, not available on outlying reefs.

I have heard.  last year...and this is true not fish bait....That Google was planning on using Balloons to Float internet across island regions of SEA and pacific ocean countries..

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

It is all in the google trans! Jean means kids like goats = no driving school for those critters.

Good analogy. Giving Rimas a boat is like giving a goat a car. It'll sit for a while and get trashed inside and out. Someone will have to start it, put it in drive, and help it to the end of driveway. One on the road, a wreck is certain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, axolotl said:

Balderdash!  WiFi is easily available in most communities, a 128kBs home connection is available for $40/mo, and transient connections are available:

Hotels - Free to $50 / day  Backpacker Lodgings - around $10/hr  Internet Cafe's - around $5 / hr (usual full facilities)  Coffee Shops - Free to $10 / hr

Of course, not available on outlying reefs.

In Fiji, the best internet access was through Vodafone. A few of the islands in the Yasawas had cell towers, for example, which is presumably how the village stayed in contact. Though not all, by a long shot.

There's not a hell of a lot of Wifi in Fiji, and it is generall more expensive than cellular data.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jasonbo said:

I am surprised there isnt one person on this forum located somewhere nearby

Fiji is a pretty spread out place, and picking your way from point A to point B isn't entirely an easy prospect. You want to do most of your traveling in daylight AND with sunny conditions since the charts suck, so you can see the reefs.

Savusavu isn't that far from Rimas, but getting to where he is would still be a pain in the ass. And most of the people that are camped in Savusavu have been there long enough so they'd need to spend a day or two packing up the boat before they're ready to move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Fiji is a pretty spread out place, and picking your way from point A to point B isn't entirely an easy prospect. You want to do most of your traveling in daylight AND with sunny conditions since the charts suck, so you can see the reefs.

Savusavu isn't that far from Rimas, but getting to where he is would still be a pain in the ass. And most of the people that are camped in Savusavu have been there long enough so they'd need to spend a day or two packing up the boat before they're ready to move.

Since Rimas's record has preceded him, I suspect a few cruisers are already packed and on a short scope for a quick departure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RKoch said:

I don't want him dead, but I wouldn't mind if..............A Truck ran over him, a Rock fell on him, and  if an Elephant sat on him

No point in denying 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RKoch said:

Since Rimas's record has preceded him, I suspect a few cruisers are already packed and on a short scope for a quick departure.

 

   ...I've had a long day so cut me some slack on this question....did you type that line using your sarcasm font ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

 

   ...I've had a long day so cut me some slack on this question....did you type that line using your sarcasm font ?

BJ said a couple cruisers in Savusavu were aware of Rimas and his impending arrival, and alluded that they may be warning others. If I was in an anchorage, and Rimas's arrival was warned, I'd probably clear out for a spell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

BJ said a couple cruisers in Savusavu were aware of Rimas and his impending arrival, and alluded that they may be warning others. If I was in an anchorage, and Rimas's arrival was warned, I'd probably clear out for a spell.

Surely you'd want to check he was safe, then clear out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Surely you'd want to check he was safe, then clear out.

 

    ok not to repeat a post but  ...I've had a long day so cut me some slack on this question....did you type that line using your sarcasm font ?

 

                  seriously...hang out in the outer reef area waiting for a train wreck ?.....    ahhhh you are screwing with me in my time of mental weakness... SARCASM!!

    i caught it that time....fool me twice shame on you..

Link to post
Share on other sites