• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That just appeared on FB but look at the time stamp from Rimas Adrift:

• July 31, 2017 00:49:30 GMT
  • 16.3241°S, 179.7607°W
  • Course: 255° at 1.52kts

Jean ?

or 

our hero ? 

Jeff Hames ‎Jean, when you say he is "off the coast of Rabi Island", how do you know? When did you hear from him last and where exactly was he? How do you know he turned the tracker off? Do you have any info other than what we can see from the Delorme tracker? Many people are worried and would like to know.
 · Reply · 
 · 7 hrs · Edited
Remove
Jean Mondeau
Jean Mondeau I have the tracker codes. Sorry I can't release them. His tracker is off.
 · Reply · 
 · 5 hrs

So has there been sunlight there the last few days?  If Rimas still has the Delorme and there's sunlight to charge it, why would he not transmit "pings" of his location to facilitate rescue?

It would be too much of a coincidence if it just happened to fail right at the moment he was approaching landfall.

The only reasons I could see for him to stop transmitting:

-No sunlight/charge

-He lost the unit, it etiher splashed overboard or into some nook and cranny in his boat where he can't find it

-Rimas is dead or incapcitated in some way, or separated from his boat (like if he made it ashore but his boat was stuck on a reef)

-He is ashore and dealing with authorities (although I'd imagine we'd have heard some word about this if it were true)

-He is able to transmit but chooses not to for some reason, like he's embarrassed about running up onto a reef on a sunny calm day.

24 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That just appeared on FB but look at the time stamp from Rimas Adrift:

• July 31, 2017 00:49:30 GMT
  • 16.3241°S, 179.7607°W
  • Course: 255° at 1.52kts

Yes, it just popped up on Rimas Adrift. I suspect Rimas typed the message and hit 'send', but the message didn't go through (no connection, dead battery), and was stored in the Delorme until it was able to be sent. I guess this means somebody has set the Delorme/charger in the sun and has turned it on. If Rimas, we may see some more messages in short order.

i think a boat of a reef or beach would have gotten somebody's attention during the past 4 days. I don't think hitting a reef at 1.3 knots would sink a Rawson, at least not immediately. I don't think Rimas can anchor the boat in any fashion that it remains in position. That leaves the possible event that the tide turned and carried him back out to sea. He likely slept a good while, tried the radio more, yelled at the clouds, and finally set about getting the Delorme up again.

12 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Yes, it just popped up on Rimas Adrift. I suspect Rimas typed the message and hit 'send', but the message didn't go through (no connection, dead battery), and was stored in the Delorme until it was able to be sent. I guess this means somebody has set the Delorme/charger in the sun and has turned it on. If Rimas, we may see some more messages in short order.

this seems reasonable 

and even more odd

someone should ask on jean on FB

14 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Have you read the novel .....On the Beach...Nevil Shutte.....this is the broken window sash.    Except this is a  version of On the REEF.....the Mimsy is lying on her side on a reef...and the evening sun sets in Fiji...the sun pokes through what remains...the DeLorme powers up on its own and spits out an old cached message.....

3 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

Have you read the novel .....On the Beach...Nevil Shutte.....this is the broken window sash.    Except this is an version of On the REEF.....the Mimsy is lying on her side on a reef...and the evening sun sets in Fiji...the sun pokes through what remains...the DeLorme powers up on its own and spits out an old cached message.....

Could very well be, I would think.

2 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

Have you read the novel .....On the Beach...Nevil Shutte.....this is the broken window sash.    Except this is a  version of On the REEF.....the Mimsy is lying on her side on a reef...and the evening sun sets in Fiji...the sun pokes through what remains...the DeLorme powers up on its own and spits out an old cached message.....

The heat from the stew pot Rimas is cooking in gives the Delorme battery enough juice to spit the cache out!!

4 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

The heat from the stew pot Rimas is cooking in gives the Delorme battery enough juice to spit the cache out!!

maybe  the chicken is pecking out better english than he ever did......

3 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

maybe  the chicken is pecking out better english than he ever did......

finally the chicken is like" oh my god thank goodness he is gone.....let me set the record straight"......

"So that everyone can rest here is how Rimas operates. Whenever he gets close to landfall, he turns his tracker off until he can figure out how to get a tow into harbor. Sometimes he anchors off and will stay put as much as two weeks waiting for a boat to come along and give him a tow. Sometimes longer. That is what I call the Rimas Blackout. And there is nothing I can do until he surfaces. Right now he is in blackout mode. He has done this EVERY time he approaches land. So don't panic. He will surface as he always does claiming another victory to his new destination. I will give him shit like I always do and that's how he roles. I hate it."

1 minute ago, benwynn said:

"So that everyone can rest here is how Rimas operates. Whenever he gets close to landfall, he turns his tracker off until he can figure out how to get a tow into harbor. Sometimes he anchors off and will stay put as much as two weeks waiting for a boat to come along and give him a tow. Sometimes longer. That is what I call the Rimas Blackout. And there is nothing I can do until he surfaces. Right now he is in blackout mode. He has done this EVERY time he approaches land. So don't panic. He will surface as he always does claiming another victory to his new destination. I will give him shit like I always do and that's how he roles. I hate it."

That makes no sense. Every landfall Rimas is in water too deep to anchor...he's gotten his tows from many miles out. He's afraid to even get close to land.  Also, when have we ever seen Rimas demonstrate he can anchor?

4 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

................And that's how he roles...Freudian slip there

yup   different roles....    I'm a Captain...no I'm a starving shipwrecked sailor.... I'm Guinness class....but I'm always in Port

11 minutes ago, benwynn said:

Well that's just a big 'ol bunch of hooey.

Everyone already knows Rimas left his anchor behind when he bailed out of Richardson Bay...

Hilo-1 Picked up tow from fireboat...10 miles out?

SF-1 Towed by Jean from outside Golden Gate

AS-1 Towed by police launch from 25 miles out.

SF-2 Towed by police launch to Marina while adrift...he lost his anchor.

Monterey Towed by CG from several miles offshore adrift ...still didn't have anchor.

Hilo-2 Towed by CG from several miles out.

When exactly did he do as Jean described?

2 minutes ago, thereefgeek said:

Well that's just a big 'ol bunch of hooey.

Everyone already knows Rimas left his anchor behind when he bailed out of Richardson Bay...

Jean gave him a small anchor just before he was towed out of Monterey. A generic Danforth type, I assume. No mention of rode.

If that new "ping" is real, it shows he was about 5.5 nm from that reef.  Making it a little more likely that's where he ended up.

The new "ping" is not registering on delorme.com.  How and where did Rimas Adrift get it?  Is this what Jean means by "tracker codes?"

15 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Monterey Towed by CG from several miles offshore adrift ...still didn't have anchor.

Oh Man... to quote Odd Ball.....Don't hit me with that negativity so early in the morning....

I don't think there has been a single time Rimas has anchored on his own. I think the only time he has been anchored was in Richardson Bay and Jean did that. All the other times Rimas has been tied  to a dock.

Technically Jean only gave Rimas Mimsy. Shannon was involved in giving Pier Pressure to Rimas. Shannon and Jean both repaired Pier Pressure at different times.

I know people that can't handle cognitive dissonance, so I can entirely believe that Jean was harshing Rimas fantasy and Rimmas shut the tracker off. Although it's a completely stupid move. Maybe he wants to swim with the fishes.This story was always going to end that way anyways, whether it's this week or next year. Eventually he will either push the red button or just stop sending. Unless the authorities catch him first. It's not like he can drift away from them.

3 minutes ago, AlienBowman said:

If that new "ping" is real, it shows he was about 5.5 nm from that reef.  Making it a little more likely that's where he ended up.

The new "ping" is not registering on delorme.com.  How and where did Rimas Adrift get it?  Is this what Jean means by "tracker codes?"

I think the tracker will leave breadcrumbs every 30 minutes and it would send to specific email addys. I would have to read specs for that model to know. I bet Jean, Shannon, and the mysterious weather router in the UK are the ones that get the breadcrumbs.

I think this is what he has. Adjustable tracking intervals of 10 min to 4 hrs. it seems that sending a message also pings a location. If it works like Spot, it stores the locations on its unique page, which peep would have to know the address of to view. I guess the messages can also be sent to an email addy.

https://www.rei.com/product/877499/delorme-inreach-explorer-satellite-messenger

I have no explanation for why that last ping showed up with that timestamp on Rimas Adrift, or why it's not on the Garmin page. All I can say is it came in with the latest source data from Garmin. 

33 minutes ago, RKoch said:

During AS-1, Rimas went quiet about the time he called for help North of AS and we did not here from him again until he was moored in Pago Pago.

In Mimsy (AS-2) he went quiet about a day before being off the harbor and we did not hear from him again until he was a day past.

Never was there a two week or more delay when Rimas was anchored out.

16 minutes ago, Volkeno said:

I don't think there has been a single time Rimas has anchored on his own. I think the only time he has been anchored was in Richardson Bay and Jean did that. All the other times Rimas has been tied  to a dock.

Technically Jean only gave Rimas Mimsy. Shannon was involved in giving Pier Pressure to Rimas. Shannon and Jean both repaired Pier Pressure at different times.

I know people that can't handle cognitive dissonance, so I can entirely believe that Jean was harshing Rimas fantasy and Rimmas shut the tracker off. Although it's a completely stupid move. Maybe he wants to swim with the fishes.This story was always going to end that way anyways, whether it's this week or next year. Eventually he will either push the red button or just stop sending. Unless the authorities catch him first. It's not like he can drift away from them.

Well, Rimas does some stupid shit out of pure stubborness, so it wouldn't be a surprise. He's gonna get in deeper shit with authorities though. He's already entered Fiji waters, and needs to make his way to a port of entry as expeditiously as possible. If he is unable, then he needs to inform them of his presence, and clear in as soon as possible. Anchoring and dilly-dallying around will really piss them off. hes going to be lucky if they don't throw him in jail. At the least, they'll hit him with a bunch of fines.

Ive had to anchor on the Bahamas banks (can't travel at night), but cleared in next day. Didn't go ashore when anchored, or physically contact other boats. Down in the Carribean, I've informed a local police station of my presence in the country, and asked them to forward that to customs and immigration and let them know I was on my way to the port of entry. In general, they want to know who's coming and going, and want to make sure you aren't some kind of undesirable. Giving them a heads up and making their jobs easier goes a long way in making entry easier.

3 hours ago, RKoch said:

I would, for no other reason than to not be there when he tries to enter the harbor and anchor. Pretty sure there aren't enough fenders in all of Fiji...or he might view putting out fenders as an invitation.

yea, I suspect any engagement with him would mark you as a grifting target in his book.

Yeah, like Rimas will be entering any harbor under his own power, with the boat under his own control?

The risk to your wallet from him is only once his rescuer unties him. He may then break off his anchor/mooring/docklines, but more likely he'll be sniffing around looking for help and handouts.

11 minutes ago, Great White said:

During AS-1, Rimas went quiet about the time he called for help North of AS and we did not here from him again until he was moored in Pago Pago.

In Mimsy (AS-2) he went quiet about a day before being off the harbor and we did not hear from him again until he was a day past.

Never was there a two week or more delay when Rimas was anchored out.

Not just that, but he was in very deep water...no way to anchor.

Im kind of thinking Volkeno is on to something. Jean was harshing  on Rimas, Rimas turned off the tracker in spite, and Jean invented a story to hide it.

4 minutes ago, benwynn said:

One of my favorite flicks.

" Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning. Think the bridge will be there and it will be there. It's a mother, beautiful bridge, and it's gonna be there. Ok? ...."

classic....And Canadians walk among you........  Donald Sutherland

pretty sure Rimas is being hit by negative waves...this time in the evening

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Not just that, but he was in very deep water...no way to anchor.

Im kind of thinking Volkeno is on to something. Jean was harshing  on Rimas, Rimas turned off the tracker in spite, and Jean invented a story to hide it.

Or maybe Rimas found a way to fix his tilles, put a scrap of sail on and headed northwest past the North end of the island and is now Kon Tiking His way West. Hey, it could happen!

11 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Umm his handheld with maybe a few yards to a mile tops transmission range will let the authorities know what?

O Hey wet nno water food is reef holes damged and leaking out shredded buttry no mmor

That's Rimas's problem. But I assure you, if he's just hanging out at anchor somewhere, mooching food from the locals, and makes no effort to clear in, the authorities are going to throw the book at him. Hell, if he drifts up to a village, he can ask the chief to pass the word. I'm guessing he doesn't have a Q flag either.

55 minutes ago, RKoch said:

That's Rimas's problem. But I assure you, if he's just hanging out at anchor somewhere, mooching food from the locals, and makes no effort to clear in, the authorities are going to throw the book at him. Hell, if he drifts up to a village, he can ask the chief to pass the word for the WiFi password. I'm guessing he doesn't have a Q flag either.

Hi, i m a Fiji schoolboy and i like sailing very much. Some kaivalagi were talking about this lost Rimas sailorman and i googled this forum on my fone. Was busy this week with xams and fishing for the family. My uncle is in the navy and he told me just now that they are sending a patrol boat to Rabi, and that they will be there tomorrow morning. Someone must have raised the alarm cause he knew all about it. Do not have internet at home but will try to keep up and will be playing rugby tomorrow. C U later and don't tell my father i am here cause we r christians and he doesn't like bad language! 

Hmmm is right. The sock puppet is clever. Uses a couple Fijian words in context. Mixes in some American teen slang, that's likely not common in Fiji. Other than the Fijian and teen slang is perfect English...too perfect for a foreigner. However, he signed up July 28th, long before Rimas even entered Fijian waters, let alone may have become known to authorities. So someone created a sock when it looked like Rimas was going to make it to Fiji. Now to just figure out who he is.

22 minutes ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Hi, i m a Fiji schoolboy and i like sailing very much. Some kaivalagi were talking about this lost Rimas sailorman and i googled this forum on my fone. Was busy this week with xams and fishing for the family. My uncle is in the navy and he told me just now that they are sending a patrol boat to Rabi, and that they will be there tomorrow morning. Someone must have raised the alarm cause he knew all about it. Do not have internet at home but will try to keep up and will be playing rugby tomorrow. C U later and don't tell my father i am here cause we r christians and he doesn't like bad language! 

ok one of us has too much time on his hands....Bfloyd??      see my comments below   ..

Hi, i m a Fiji schoolboy and i like sailing very much. Some kaivalagi Translates as european were talking about this lost Rimas sailorman and i googled this forum on my fone. Was busy this week with xams just so happens their term ends on the 11th August so likely in exams ... so very clever and fishing for the family. My uncle is in the navy fiji has a navy and he told me just now that they are sending a patrol boat to Rabi, and that they will be there tomorrow morning. Someone must have raised the alarm cause he knew all about it. Do not have internet at home but will try to keep up and will be playing rugby fiji loves rugby tomorrow. C U later and don't tell my father i am here cause we r christians island is 53% christian and he doesn't like bad language! 

Ive looked at past posts...cant even guess which twisted fuck among us has time for this sock puppetry.....

Kaivalagi is generic white people...European or North American. It's like saying Gringo. Fiji Gone Vuli is Fiji Child Education. Somebody put a bit of research into creating this sock. 

I'm gonna take a stab and say it's BJ. The English is 100% American, but the creator knows a bit of Fijian culture and a few words (or has an English-Fijian translation book).

So....why would my browser link to "Rimas Around The World" on Delorme be different from the link on the latest facebook post which goes to InReach? Me thinks someone spoofed a new Rimas account and is yanking our chains.

Browser Link: https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus

Facebook Link: https://inreach.garmin.com/textmessage/viewmsg?mo=0343101b478b428caec7f65b6d86c9240  

Extremely sick sock puppetry at it's finest.

RK stated he "Fiji Gone..." signed up July 28th....which happens to be the date of the earliest "punters" guesses....so everyone.... is presumed guilty....   except cje had early July 28th so probably no motive........but 39 other punters...including myself are still suspect,,,,   (though I chose not to bet because " kingstonsail - opt out of betting due to a higher authority ".....so Im in the clear....obviously..)...

must be someone active in the last few days...with warped sense of humour.....so again....38 of you....

9 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Kaivalagi is generic white people...European or North American. It's like saying Gringo. Fiji Gone Vuli is Fiji Child Education. Somebody put a bit of research into creating this sock. 

the fact that I know the Fijian highschool exam schedule and can confirm they are taking them now probably looks a bit guilty on my part   but I can assure U it is not me...   C U later....

6 minutes ago, dgauci said:

So....why would my browser link to "Rimas Around The World" on Delorme be different from the link on the latest facebook post? Me thinks someone spoofed a new Rimas account and is yanking our chains.

Browser Link: https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus

Facebook Link: https://inreach.garmin.com/textmessage/viewmsg?mo=0343101b478b428caec7f65b6d86c9240

Rimas adrift picked up the last message. Discussed earlier. We think an unsent message cached in the Delorme got transmitted somehow. 

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Rimas adrift picked up the last message. Discussed earlier. We think an unsent message cached in the Delorme got transmitted somehow. 

But they are 2 different root domains. One is www.share.delorme.com, the other www.inreach.com. Maybe mirrored? The new link doesn't show past Rimas haiku and positions. 

23 minutes ago, dgauci said:

But they are 2 different root domains. One is www.share.delorme.com, the other www.inreach.com. Maybe mirrored? The new link doesn't show past Rimas haiku and positions. 

I believe the second link is the link to a specific message, not the tracker in general. If you go to the general share.delorme.com rimas tracker and expand the "last" position down you'll see this most recent post there, it just doesn't show up as the most recent one by default. The weird thing is that it is later than his last position report, but it's all there on that page, so I don't think it came from a sock account or anything. Assuming Rimas himself isn't a sock. 

59841ef4aa969_ScreenShot2017-08-04at12_12_45AM.thumb.png.f85fe481adf759870a7ed1aeb89cc3eb.png

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

I'm gonna take a stab and say it's BJ. The English is 100% American, but the creator knows a bit of Fijian culture and a few words (or has an English-Fijian translation book).

Nope. I'm not amused enough by Rimas.

4 hours ago, Kingstonsail said:

My first post, but i've been following the thread for a few days.  I was pointed to it by a UK sailing forum.

My thoughts are similar.  I suspect the boat is on a reef and after it has broken up a bit the unit is exposed to enough sunlight and charges its batteries and sends the message automatically.  

If this is correct, the time frame for charging might be quite short.  As the boat breaks up more, the unit would be washed away and lost to the water and the reef.

3 hours ago, Great White said:

Or maybe Rimas found a way to fix his tilles, put a scrap of sail on and headed northwest past the North end of the island and is now Kon Tiking His way West. Hey, it could happen!

I doubt his tilles ever needed fixin'.  He always comes up with some BS "emergency" to mooch a tow from some taxpayer funded organization - be it the CG, or police boat - whoever.

1 minute ago, One_more_time said:

My first post, but i've been following the thread for a few days.  I was pointed to it by a UK sailing forum.

My thoughts are similar.  I suspect the boat is on a reef and after it has broken up a bit the unit is exposed to enough sunlight and charges its batteries and sends the message automatically.  

If this is correct, the time frame for charging might be quite short.  As the boat breaks up more, the unit would be washed away and lost to the water and the reef.

thats a great first post OMT   thanks for quoting me....I live to get quoted on this thread.

now i hope you have a sexy girlfriend/wife   cause I wouldnt mind seeing a pic of her tits....

Jean's comment on the latest transmission:

Jean Mondeau I checked and it is an old post. Had he turned the tracker on I would have pinged him and had his current location and sent the troops out to get him.
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· 5 hrs · Edited

We all know from the time stamp when the post was created, which doesn't explain how it was sent when it was.

I think Rimas or someone who found it turned it on, or perhaps the Euro guy who speculated that it was exposed to sunlight as Mimsy broke up is right.

I'm glad FB gave us new "reactions" to posts. "Ha Ha" seemed perfect for Jean's post on "how Rimas roles."
5 hours ago, Kingstonsail said:

22 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I think Rimas or someone who found it turned it on, or perhaps the Euro guy who speculated that it was exposed to sunlight as Mimsy broke up is right.

the "Euro guy ?? "...... speculated sunlight....     What part of Kingstonsail screems Euro guy ???....   I AM CANADIAN

On 8/2/2017 at 11:37 AM, captpiratedog said:

I think he hit Texas Reef.. And was sitting there on the boat... some locals happened by and offered him a ride to shore and he refused... They went home told their friends and the next day went back by... he was still sitting there but this time left with them leaving the boat and is onshore with no way to contact his facebook because he has no internet.. The next day they take him back to the boat which is still on the reef  but all the electronic stuff is gone by now..He tells them he wants to wait with his Mimsy for the coast guard to rescue him and now he is there eventually when no coast guard shows up another Dug out fishing boat will take him back to shore as by that time Mimsy will be a total loss

To this I'll add... if ... The boat got stuck on a reef due to a soft grounding... reefs are usually frequented local fishing spots and Texas reef may even be a dive spot...Islanders are pretty resourceful at salvaging boats off reefs.. Remus not having any $$$ may have been given a barter offer.. The delorme and all the other Electronic stuff...handheld GPS .VHF...they are the only stuff of any value .. and .may be sitting a village masters house now.... hence the cryptic mystery messg. if they tried charging it and turned it on...They may also be in the process of readying the boat for the upcoming full moon tide ...  I think they will get the boat to a beach somehow... putting a somewhat positive  end to all the "Negative Waves " going on here...all this being completely speculative and totally reliant on calm weather without wave action

"         the "Euro guy ?? "...... speculated sunlight....     What part of Kingstonsail screems Euro guy ???....   I AM CANADIAN" 

feh, as though there's a difference ? Next you'll be trying to say Gannanoque and Quinte are not Euro too. 

On 8/1/2017 at 8:44 AM, HypnoToad said:

I'm thinking he is sitting uncomfortably on the reef that was in his direct path. 

Untitled.jpg

Still sticking to my prediction. 

If Rimas had charged up the Delorme enough to get that message out, wouldn't he have sent another?  Might be in the hands of somebody who does not know how to use it.

Jean, this time there are no troops to save your experiment.

He probably gave up on you once you stabbed him in the back the other day... 

Should have kept lying to him

I have seen emails and text messages that just sort of oddly show up long after they were sent. It's rare but happens. I wonder if the Garmin/Delorme InReach system just chewed on his last message for a while then finally spit it out.

Has to be that or else someone activated it.

1 minute ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I have seen emails and text messages that just sort of oddly show up long after they were sent. It's rare but happens. I wonder if the Garmin/Delorme InReach system just chewed on his last message for a while then finally spit it out.

Has to be that or else someone activated it.

Yea, it could have been lost in the ether for a while. Kind of makes it worthless to rely on  as an emergency device. I would always suggest an EPIRB for offshore sailing, no matter what other devices are carried. it's the most reliable though still not 100%. A couple friends in the Worrell pitch-poled and their boat broke up. They activated the EPIRB and waited. Next morning a chopper appeared and hauled them up. Chopper crew said they were searching for another boat and just happened to see them by chance...their EPIRB was blinking, but not transmitting.

6 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Funny thing about that Mermaid shanty photo from the US Coast Guard is the credit for the photo is give as 

U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Travis Magee 

Some clever socketry right there!

Didn't catch that.... good one!

FB- Doug

11 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Funny thing about that Mermaid shanty photo from the US Coast Guard is the credit for the photo is give as 

U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Travis Magee 

Some clever socketry right there!

Shanty boat named Busted Pair?

I googled the Key West hotel that the floating shack was supposed to been lost from but don't see how it could have gotten out of the narrow mangrove channel where it might have been before the storm. There is a floating dock there for the JetSki rental but nothing that looks to match the Mermaid Shack.

Look at this stilt house in Stiltsville just south of Miami and you can see the same style paint job and even the little brackets on the roof that either are lightening rods or bird deterrents. I'm voting this as the source of the Mermaid shack which will probably end up in Galveston. Wish it had come closer to my end of the Gulf, I'd love to have it at my dock!

Image result for travis mcgee busted flush

11 hours ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Well, have you any more news of Rimas the sailor?

Tell us more about Fiji so we know you are real and really a Christian. We need a picture of the boat or Rimas in Fiji, even a Facebook photo.

On 8/1/2017 at 6:44 AM, HypnoToad said:

I'm thinking he is sitting uncomfortably on the reef that was in his direct path. 

Untitled.jpg

The N corner of Texas Reef lies at 16.338 S, about 6 miles from Cape Teras at NE corner of Rambi Island.  Texas Reef is charted as "Rocks, 3 feet high" at MHWS, so significant luck would be needed to pass over.  If MIMSY's breadcrumbs did pass north of Texas Reef, then he is embayed in Natewa Bay, a reefy coastline of 70 odd miles to fetch up on. No navigational aids except local daymarks marking reef passes. West of Texas reef, inside Natewa Bay, there is little to no surf to speak of to break apart thick skinned MIMSY.