Jump to content

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Over on FB, Rimas got a birthday greeting from a young woman. I looked at her page. Cute young lady but she does bear an unfortunate resemblance to Alfred E Neuman in this pic.

AsumanENeuman.jpg

You got woman right. The rest, not so much 

You can do better, try Christian Mingle, they know  a little about boats. They hear about them every Sunday morning!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • RKoch

    2725

  • bfloyd4445

    1852

  • couchsurfer

    1533

  • Excoded Tom

    958

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Timmys_Trick_Turkey said:

Is Rimas, the nautical version of Gomer Pyle.? 

no, he is the nautical equivalent of "balloon boy" - the whole thing is a hoax.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cuntyhunk said:

Finally this thread is having what everybody feared/ cheered for.

Maybe, maybe not. Have patience. Summon your own inner Rimas and stare blankly into space for a while, breathe deeply. Whatever helps.

Rimas has disappeared for a while before. Not quite the same but it never is. If he stays disappeared, then maybe yes.

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cuntyhunk said:

Finally this thread is having what everybody feared/ cheered for.

It's possibly the ending everyone foresaw 4 years ago. The only surprise is that it didn't happen sooner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, stab from the past.

 rimas.jpg.ba1596db8fe8c8d3abbcfb8e42fa0c4d.jpg

Here's Rimas looking pretty competent. I'll offer some tips.  Assuming he's at least beam or close reaching based on a little heel and boom position, he's not well trimmed.  Way too much foot shelf, lazy jib sheet is not slack, is the jib luffing a bit down low?  Looks like the vang is tensioned, maybe jib car aft-sheet in, and travellor down-mainsheet out would help.

Nice foul weather jacket though (and hat).  As a blue eyed person he should wear sunglasses whenever outdoors or he's asking for eye problems considering his age.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, axolotl said:

OK, stab from the past.

 rimas.jpg.ba1596db8fe8c8d3abbcfb8e42fa0c4d.jpg

Here's Rimas looking pretty competent. I'll offer some tips.  Assuming he's at least beam or close reaching based on a little heel and boom position, he's not well trimmed.  Way too much foot shelf, lazy jib sheet is not slack, is the jib luffing a bit down low?  Looks like the vang is tensioned, maybe jib car aft-sheet in, and travellor down-mainsheet out would help.

Nice foul weather jacket though (and hat).  As a blue eyed person he should wear sunglasses whenever outdoors or he's asking for eye problems considering his age.

I think that's the best sail trim he ever got. He usually didn't use the main on the San Juan. The small jib typically had the clew amidships, against the mast, equal tension on both sheets.  I guess it was to save the trouble of handling the sheets when tacking from one beam reach to the other. Using the Genoa, he sheeted it loosely to the transom, so the bottom was over-trimmed and the upper 2/3 flapping. There were also instances of creative sail-setting, such as setting the mainsail as a jib. I don't think he could tell what normal sail trim was supposed to look like, and most of his FB cult applauded that ignorance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RKoch said:

It's possibly the ending everyone foresaw 4 years ago. The only surprise is that it didn't happen sooner.

What y'all going to do if he has gone to that great gyre in the sky?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SailBlueH2O said:

Yeah....and how many single handed hours off shore have you logged in the past four years.... ;-)...notice I said hours not miles 

Well, not the past four years (I'm getting old) but maybe 1,500 hours overall single-handed.  50,000 miles crewed on my own boat and others, maybe 2/3 racing. Mostly coastal, not offshore ocean passages, of which coastal is BTW much more stressful.  What's your point; I'm too dumb to have an opinion?  Rest assured, my simplistic sail trim suggestions are sound, I've gotten into and out of the harbor with no assistance every time (sometimes out of fuel <g>) and generally show up where I said I'm going with the proper paperwork and enough dough to be welcomed.

I'm not bragging about it, just saying maybe my opinions are worthy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Para Handy said:

What y'all going to do if he has gone to that great gyre in the sky?

Tin Can, Rebel Heart, Hot Rod, Rimas...there's no shortage of examples of Dunning-Kruger to laugh at and shake our heads in wonder. Most of them don't get beyond easy reach of USCG chopper. Rimas got further, but only because he was confident a concierge tow was always waiting every time he neared land.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Yeah....and how many single handed hours off shore have you logged in the past four years.... ;-)...notice I said hours not miles ....we  can sit back and judge but Rimas has done what he has wanted to do....be out on the ocean ....yes it flies in the face of all prudent advice and proven procedures....but he has been at one with the ocean...which is where he wanted to be....better than being laid up in some retirement center of rehab facility scrolling up and down on the TV remote....so far he has not caused any harm to innocent responders....

Rimas gets desperately lonely on his extended trips, just as any other psychologically healthy person would.

I realize that Jean and Shannon have good intentions, but this escapade from an outsider watching the enablers has all the dignity of Bum Fights.  Rimas is not able to hold a job and was I think literally living under a bridge before this all started.  In Richardson Bay, he was given just enough so that he'd fear losing it and figuratively set loose.

His asinine prattling while he took video selfies of himself while running every working piece of equipment on the boat at anchor is honest from his side.

Think about it:  the guy hoists sails upside down and in AS seems to have rigged a set of discount dress flags as a replacement backstay with the intention of continuing his voyage.

Maybe I'll be proven a fool and everything from lashing his emergency signaling kit to the lifelines still in its cardboard box, to Delorme logs, to his benefactor and tutor posting videos of himself equipping his own boat with a propane tank not only inside the boat but immediately next to an ignition source, to multiple long term SA posters verifying his presence in ports of call matching the narrative and level of apparent seamanship plus witnessing deliberately constructed safety hazards are all some big charade.

I prefer to believe that a relatively innocent soul has been chasing a dream   I would not by any stretch of the imagination want to be having his adventure, but he's clearly gotten joy out of it and it has more than once brightened my day to see his simple delight in things I've become jaded about.

Whether intentional or unintentional, and even if salted with some creative license, it's still a brilliant work of performance art and I'm glad to have been watching.

I hope to continue watching.  Go, the Rimas!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Moderate said:
1 hour ago, Para Handy said:

What y'all going to do if he has gone to that great gyre in the sky?

This guy wants a boat.

5338379_web1_Homeless_0001.jpg

This guy looks like he might be entertaining. Where is he? We could probably crowd-fund a San Juan 24 for him... the problem is going to be funding his ongoing expenses for dockage etc etc.

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Moderate said:

Kailua Kona on the beach .

Ill kick in $100

Fuck that. Hawaii is a homeless persons paradise. Lots of tourists to panhandle, pleasant weather, public shelter. Plus there is a shortage of super-cheap or free boats there. Can't we find somebody in a place that non-crazy homeless person would actually want to sail away from?

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Moderate said:

Whats wrong with Bumfights?

 

Most of the posters here are a few rungs up on the economic and social ladder.

Handing someone a few rungs down some cash or goods with the deliberate intent of debasing them and using them for sport just because you can is despicable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, axolotl said:

OK, stab from the past.

 rimas.jpg.ba1596db8fe8c8d3abbcfb8e42fa0c4d.jpg

 

Are you sure that's his boat and the trim is his doing? IIRC, his first time in Hawaii someone else took him sailing on another boat, and he posted a few pictures.

Edit: never mind, here he is on the OPB. First pic must be the San Juan.
http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2014-04-09#.WYY-tlGQxaQ

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

 

AsumanENeuman.jpg

Oh jeeze!

That skull is an empty vessel, ready to receive whatever new-age crap she accidentally stumbles upon next.
She looks like she's convinced that Rimas would set world-famous records if he just had the right combination of essential oils on board.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Moderate said:

And yet its fun.

Its been going on for centuries, what do you think most of the gladiators were?

How dare you be offended by my culture.

Awwwww, go easy on him. Their just jealous that you have the hookers and they don't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Moderate said:

And yet its fun.

Its been going on for centuries, what do you think most of the gladiators were?

How dare you be offended by my culture.

If your culture necessarily involves debasing the poor and the mentally challenged for sport, then yes screw it and screw you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't call Rimas innocent...more like a naive huckster. He's not chasing a dream, he doesn't like sailing...if he did, he'd do more of it, and jump at opportunity to learn to do it better. He just likes the attention, uses his 'voyages' as a fund-raising scheme, and living on a free boat beats living in a cardboard carton. Pure huckster. The naive part is that he really has no clue what he's getting in to, and what level of expertise and preparation is required. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moderate said:

I havent thought of Treble Fart in years, that was a great thread.

 

Is there a link? Or did it get lost in the last upgrade/purge? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corvo said:

Are you sure that's his boat and the trim is his doing? IIRC, his first time in Hawaii someone else took him sailing on another boat, and he posted a few pictures.

Edit: never mind, here he is on the OPB. First pic must be the San Juan.
http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2014-04-09#.WYY-tlGQxaQ

He is oblivious to the means of propulsion in that shot.

I would never let a casual passenger become an expeditionist.

He could have been panhandling to tourists on the HI island for 10 more years easy if it weren't for people like Jean and the like

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I wouldn't call Rimas innocent...more like a naive huckster. He's not chasing a dream, he doesn't like sailing...if he did, he'd do more of it, and jump at opportunity to learn to do it better. He just likes the attention, uses his 'voyages' as a fund-raising scheme, and living on a free boat beats living in a cardboard carton. Pure huckster. The naive part is that he really has no clue what he's getting in to, and what level of expertise and preparation is required. 

I agree that he has no idea what the sea demands.  Someday the sea will claim me too, but it's a solid bargain and I'd be terrified to face death any other way. 

I think his joy in many of the things we take for granted is genuine.  A clear horizon, the stars as far as you can get from a well-lit city.  A green flash.  If his line in Richardson Bay had never chaffed through, things might be different.

It would be simple to reduce him, Rimas, to the fiberglass shell he was tossed into by his 'benefactors'.  But where a cynical view sees him as someone who would otherwise be living under a bridge, it's also possible to see him as a down-and-out who got to see and pursue a dream.  Honestly, crowd, even so much as you disapprove of him setting a bad example of what can be expected of American cruisers, don't you still at each landfall feel some sense of happiness that he's made it through another leg?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, koblas said:

I agree that he has no idea what the sea demands.  Someday the sea will claim me too, but it's a solid bargain and I'd be terrified to face death any other way. 

I think his joy in many of the things we take for granted is genuine.  A clear horizon, the stars as far as you can get from a well-lit city.  A green flash.  If his line in Richardson Bay had never chaffed through, things might be different.

It would be simple to reduce him, Rimas, to the fiberglass shell he was tossed into by his 'benefactors'.  But where a cynical view sees him as someone who would otherwise be living under a bridge, it's also possible to see him as a down-and-out who got to see and pursue a dream.  Honestly, crowd, even so much as you disapprove of him setting a bad example of what can be expected of American cruisers, don't you still at each landfall feel some sense of happiness that he's made it through another leg?

Nah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, koblas said:

I agree that he has no idea what the sea demands.  Someday the sea will claim me too, but it's a solid bargain and I'd be terrified to face death any other way. 

I think his joy in many of the things we take for granted is genuine.  A clear horizon, the stars as far as you can get from a well-lit city.  A green flash.  If his line in Richardson Bay had never chaffed through, things might be different.

It would be simple to reduce him, Rimas, to the fiberglass shell he was tossed into by his 'benefactors'.  But where a cynical view sees him as someone who would otherwise be living under a bridge, it's also possible to see him as a down-and-out who got to see and pursue a dream.  Honestly, crowd, even so much as you disapprove of him setting a bad example of what can be expected of American cruisers, don't you still at each landfall feel some sense of happiness that he's made it through another leg?

Happy? No. More like a sigh of relief that he survived despite all his efforts (or lack of) not to.  But I'm hardened to the reality that one day he won't survive. And he won't die a warm, contented, and romantic death...it'll be lonely, cold, frightening, and painfull.  It's a choice he's made, though he's too stupid to realize it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, koblas said:

                    don't you still at each landfall feel some sense of happiness that he's made it through another leg?

 

     not at all.....I'm glad SAR guys didn't loose their lives !   Most of Rimas' rescues were rather benign tows...in often daylight...so lower risk.  I missed how the saga of the Rebel Heart came into this conversation...but that whack job woman caused 4 SAR's guys to parachute (ok sick child who wouldnt move heaven and earth)....but the point being that neither Rimas nor Rebel Heart should be at sea....thankfully no SAR guys hurt...    we are currently down one Rimas though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, woolly said:

Found him ..  ..  ..

3.JPG

remarkable job. How did you find him? . Trouble is I'm not sue that's Rimas the guy in the pix is too fat and no captains hat

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Happy? No. More like a sigh of relief that he survived despite all his efforts (or lack of) not to.  But I'm hardened to the reality that one day he won't survive. And he won't die a warm, contented, and romantic death...it'll be lonely, cold, frightening, and painfull.  It's a choice he's made, though he's too stupid to realize it.

are you implying rimas is dumb? He is smart enough to get others to provide him with vessel, provisions and even labor to outfit his free boat then drift all over the Pacific without a care in the world and you say he is stupid?  .................

Link to post
Share on other sites

oh my god, this is not looking good!  found some mony to call my uncle after church, and he says they have been searching with a charterd plane yesterday and this morning again. nothing found or seen sofar.

This is not looking good and we have been praying for Rimas but looks like this is to late now. Feel very sad now!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Great White said:

Now here is what Jack Hodge says on FB. Purly speculation and poor taste to predict it the way he did. Sorry for the fake news.:

His 3:23pm message says he has no control, his tiller is damaged, current is pushing him, does not know where he will end up. His last four transmissions, each about one hour apart, show him on a steady drift to the reef, and his time of impact would be 9:00pm. Yes, this is speculation, but clearly the most likely outcome.

I saw him on the reef last Thursday if he kept on the same course, however; Even rimas must have learned that if he changes the direction of his sail in relation to the wind the vessel will move in a different direction even without a rudder. He also likely has noticed that things dragging in the sea will tend to cause the vessel to turn so with a tiny bit of thinking he could have changed direction bypassing the reef. I'm not counting him out yet! This guy has done this sort of thing to us before and survived when he had given up hope.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

oh my god, this is not looking good!  found some mony to call my uncle after church, and he says they have been searching with a charterd plane yesterday and this morning again. nothing found or seen sofar.

This is not looking good and we have been praying for Rimas but looks like this is to late now. Feel very sad now!

just drink your sorrows away, as any good christian boy would do !

Link to post
Share on other sites

question: the Rawlson 30 is kinda over built and slow. Someone commented of the clam seas in the areas. Is it not possible he is stuck on a reef like a bug on a cactus thorn sitting there waiting for rescue? Last transmission his batts were low which may explain why no messages. I'll bet he is kicked back dining on flying fish and hot buttery idahoe tatters sipping fetid very old starbucks brown liquid

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

          Is it not possible he is stuck on a reef like a bug on a cactus thorn sitting there waiting for rescue?

           Bfloyd... I believe the tides are in the range of 3.5ft  (1m and change).. if he is sitting anywhere...hooked within that tidal range.   (High tide not enough to get free)....then it'll be like being in a washing machine.   at least there are no dangerous projectiles in the cabin...like glass jars of olives or maraschino cherries...

                             

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

           Bfloyd... I believe the tides are in the range of 3.5ft  (1m and change).. if he is sitting anywhere...hooked within that tidal range.   (High tide not enough to get free)....then it'll be like being in a washing machine.   at least there are no dangerous projectiles in the cabin...like glass jars of olives or maraschino cherries...

                             

Thanks. He would be smashed to bits like a cockroach in a garbage disposer then.   I hope that isn't the case Would be a horrible way to go

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wanna sea what a reef can do to a sailboat with only 18 inches of tide. This 60 ft catamaran drifted onto a reef inside a fairly sheltered harbor.

In 2 days the bottom was ripped off the port hull.

Mind you I accept that the cat was not built as tough as a Rawson.

3-DSCN0132.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Jimmy Swaggert without the secretary and now with a real estate portfolio that makes trump inc look barren, especially as they own stuff rather than leverage double to triple down. tax free staus a gift for the goodne$$. :)

Hallelujah!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
U can say what u like, but me dont' lie!
ni veicaii au sega ni mai lasu jiko ni wilika vavinaka ni yavu kaisi !!!
 
We have plenty helicopters too...
 
Successful Helipro Fiji Search & Rescue Mission 
 
Fiji Navy Search & Rescue Training Day -  Togalevu Navy Base
CU, ni sa moce!
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

The night he went missing the wind was up, what those who have not seen it, is the power of short wind chop that while only a foot or so is enough to gnaw any laminate structure fairly quickly, while supposedly overbuilt glass will get cracks with constant point load short sharp shocks.

So I take it in your opinion this is the end. Geez.....alright,someone belly up to the bar and volunteer to carry on the saga in the world record setting tradition of Rimas M. excuse me, Captain Rimas M

 

Whose it gonna be?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

question: the Rawlson 30 is kinda over built and slow. Someone commented of the clam seas in the areas. Is it not possible he is stuck on a reef like a bug on a cactus thorn sitting there waiting for rescue? Last transmission his batts were low which may explain why no messages. I'll bet he is kicked back dining on flying fish and hot buttery idahoe tatters sipping fetid very old starbucks brown liquid

Winds had backed down from storm, but he's still in trade winds. So he might have had 15-18. Except for the reefs, the water is deep. There still may be some waves, which would break on the reefs. If his boat stuck atop a reef, I think somebody would have spotted it in the past 6 days. I think there are 3 remaining possibilities:

Boat sank, Rimas dead.

Boat missed reef and drifted in to the long bay. I think someone would see it, and Rimas could charge his Delorme and send messages.

Tide turned, Rimas drifted back out to sea. He would be drifting slowly to Vanuatu, unless he repaired his tiller and sails. Low on food (allegedly).  Could charge Delorme and send messages.

Its possible Rimas is alive and deliberately keeping quiet, as Jean claims he is, but it's unlikely he's anchored like he claims.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, koblas said:

...   ....   ...

It would be simple to reduce him, Rimas, to the fiberglass shell he was tossed into by his 'benefactors'.  But where a cynical view sees him as someone who would otherwise be living under a bridge, it's also possible to see him as a down-and-out who got to see and pursue a dream.  Honestly, crowd, even so much as you disapprove of him setting a bad example of what can be expected of American cruisers, don't you still at each landfall feel some sense of happiness that he's made it through another leg?

Nope. I was glad when he survived his past drift-a-thons and I really hope that he's OK now but just out of communication range somehow.

You can gush over Rimas "pursuing a dream" but he's really just a panhandler with a boat. A lazy, stubborn, panhandler. He has trashed 3 boats now, not that they were great boats when he got them; I would be happy if somebody who was lower down the ladder was given a boat and took to sea, and learned how to sail a little, and did at least some small amount of work on the boat that they depended on. But Rimas is just one of those people who not only have to be given everything, they fuck up what they're given. He's a lying sack of shit too, at one point he claimed to be raising money to fund children's cancer research. He does not drink but he has the same destructive life pattern as an alcoholic.

Romanticizing this just shows that you are very immature IMHO whatever your age.

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Winds had backed down from storm, but he's still in trade winds. So he might have had 15-18. Except for the reefs, the water is deep. There still may be some waves, which would break on the reefs. If his boat stuck atop a reef, I think somebody would have spotted it in the past 6 days. I think there are 3 remaining possibilities:

Boat sank, Rimas dead.

Boat missed reef and drifted in to the long bay. I think someone would see it, and Rimas could charge his Delorme and send messages.

Tide turned, Rimas drifted back out to sea. He would be drifting slowly to Vanuatu, unless he repaired his tiller and sails. Low on food (allegedly).  Could charge Delorme and send messages.

Its possible Rimas is alive and deliberately keeping quiet, as Jean claims he is, but it's unlikely he's anchored like he claims.

who claims he is anchored? But your right I for one am not counting him out yet

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Nope. I was glad when he survived his past drift-a-thons and I really hope that he's OK now but just out of communication range somehow.

You can gush over Rimas "pursuing a dream" but he's really just a panhandler with a boat. A lazy, stubborn, panhandler. He has trashed 3 boats now, not that they were great boats when he got them; I would be happy if somebody who was lower down the ladder was given a boat and took to sea, and learned how to sail a little, and did at least some small amount of work on the boat that they depended on. But Rimas is just one of those people who not only have to be given everything, they fuck up what they're given. He's a lying sack of shit too, at one point he claimed to be raising money to fund children's cancer research. He does not drink but he has the same destructive life pattern as an alcoholic.

Romanticizing this just shows that you are very immature IMHO whatever your age.

FB- Doug

isnt that what you just did in reply to Steam Flyers post? 

 

Just now, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

I too am of the stubbon naughty Rimas is hiding to create more drama and help sympathy fund his next stage of con tikkiing.

However this thread should also help folks understand areas and conditions, outside of what most think they know.

I for one have learned much from all the experienced mariners posting to this thread, I must not forget, the bs'ers as well

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:
        U can say what u like, but me dont' lie!

 

 

               me (YOU) also haven't learned basic pronouns       easiest part of any language and shows you are faking it. ...... well not that Rimas ever used the correct pronoun...which btw is why I knew he wasn't a translator .... easiest part of a language and one that a linguist would nail day one...  if you can order a "double mocha skinny soy frapacchino"  ...you can get basic pronouns

                                     somewhere out there is a starbucks gift card with 27 cents on it....

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

 

                           He does not drink but he has the same destructive life pattern as an alcoholic.

 

FB- Doug

 

                 I think you owe a great number of us on this thread an apology !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

 

                 I think you owe a great number of us on this thread an apology !!

Yeah you owe Kingston an apology but the rest of us will be happy with a drink thank you very much

Link to post
Share on other sites

Order a copy of The Saga of Cimba from Amazon. Great book. The author bought a renowned speedy little 35' schooner in Nova Scotia, and sailed it to the South Pacific with a variety of crew back in the thirties. In 1935, after a trip to Tonga from Fiji, he was returning to Fiji with a couple guests and hit a reef near Suva. Engine didn't run, wind was light, poor visibility in driving rain, and the current carried them on to the reef. They pounded for a couple days, but eventually were towed off by a tug, although badly damaged. Boat was rebuilt, but sold as the owner got sick. Apparently the boat continued sailing around the S Pacific and NZ under several owners until the early 60s, when it disappeared from records.

https://424b1731-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/cimbayacht/home/sunay december 15 1935 NY Times Cimba article.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7crmIW6_Z-PpxfPMgeZgEiO6cimWymaYfDV4ylL7jWJUGUVzks0qC_5srOeTfXrLOEZiNrkYzcY_JKc0VLdf4zpvYdr-9Pwiml5_zgAldOJWN6ryp29XQ0mrO1wY_tSRXT0-c2cFrLix5BmyPgM2ADeAmKy7qDSbKGFjn1yyLK2ydX-E39koCv7Is0mX5EhOyljQUPekrcjLx_rQIzxeQgnwN3SnCrju-v9Fv2W1rhEzeNOaL1v1zlgq5yA0_LBksGtaAikEQ_Kz7uRDJoS21aHh93HoXw%3D%3D&attredirects=1

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:
7 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:
  16 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

  He does not drink but he has the same destructive life pattern as an alcoholic.

               

  I think you owe a great number of us on this thread an apology !!

Yeah you owe Kingston an apology but the rest of us will be happy with a drink thank you very much

Ah so... I humbly and sincerely apologize to all alcoholics here in SA and elsewhere who can really sail. And I'd be glad to buy a round for the house, Hey The_Ed put it on my tab. And some more popcorn over here, please

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

who claims he is anchored? But your right I for one am not counting him out yet

Jean made a FB post saying Rimas always turns off the Delorme and anchors awaiting a tow, and doesn't resume communication until he's in port. It sounds like BS to me, but...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Order a copy of The Saga of Cimba from Amazon. Great book. The author bought a renowned speedy little 35' schooner in Nova Scotia, and sailed it to the South Pacific with a variety of crew back in the thirties. In 1935, after a trip to Tonga from Fiji, he was returning to Fiji with a couple guests and hit a reef near Suva. Engine didn't run, wind was light, poor visibility in driving rain, and the current carried them on to the reef. They pounded for a couple days, but eventually were towed off by a tug, although badly damaged. Boat was rebuilt, but sold as the owner got sick. Apparently the boat continued sailing around the S Pacific and NZ under several owners until the early 60s, when it disappeared from records.

https://424b1731-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/cimbayacht/home/sunay december 15 1935 NY Times Cimba article.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7crmIW6_Z-PpxfPMgeZgEiO6cimWymaYfDV4ylL7jWJUGUVzks0qC_5srOeTfXrLOEZiNrkYzcY_JKc0VLdf4zpvYdr-9Pwiml5_zgAldOJWN6ryp29XQ0mrO1wY_tSRXT0-c2cFrLix5BmyPgM2ADeAmKy7qDSbKGFjn1yyLK2ydX-E39koCv7Is0mX5EhOyljQUPekrcjLx_rQIzxeQgnwN3SnCrju-v9Fv2W1rhEzeNOaL1v1zlgq5yA0_LBksGtaAikEQ_Kz7uRDJoS21aHh93HoXw%3D%3D&attredirects=1

Thanks will get a copy but not from amazon

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Ah so... I humbly and sincerely apologize to all alcoholics here in SA and elsewhere who can really sail. And I'd be glad to buy a round for the house, Hey The_Ed put it on my tab. And some more popcorn over here, please

FB- Doug

chuckle.....thank you sir, its Party time! Boil up the crabs and shuck them oysters pour the grog. No butter for me. Last month we did that and the Colonel ate crabs from noon to midnight sucking up all the butter and ended sicker that a drunk fighter pilot in a dogfight. No one else became ill but he was the only one to eat the butter. But then again you know hooow them sober air force guys are......ah, that's it he was the only one that did not drink. Booze, the fountain of youth

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

 

               me (YOU) also haven't learned basic pronouns       easiest part of any language and shows you are faking it. ...... well not that Rimas ever used the correct pronoun...which btw is why I knew he wasn't a translator .... easiest part of a language and one that a linguist would nail day one...  if you can order a "double mocha skinny soy frapacchino"  ...you can get basic pronouns

                              

We say "me don't lie" all the time!
M writing in facebook language, if u don't mind. Have many english speaking friends, and at primary school we speak english after grade 3. Secondary and uni is all in "English".
Had my English xam last thursday, grammar, essay, letter writing and mass media.
M sure i passed close to 90!
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Sunday in Fiji...when good christian boys troll the Internet...

oh goodie.....te..he.  Thank you God.......and you Mr. RKoch for this bountiful opportunity..that leaves all the girls for me......Yeehaw!  NO I do not share, find your own island full of gurls!

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Jean made a FB post saying Rimas always turns off the Delorme and anchors awaiting a tow, and doesn't resume communication until he's in port. It sounds like BS to me, but...

Since Jean made that post, it's been pointed out in this thread that while Rimas DOES have "comms blackout" period like this, it's never been more than a couple few days.  I feel like Jean is doing his best to put a good face on a potentially ugly situation, a situation that he has a lot to do with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Since Jean made that post, it's been pointed out in this thread that while Rimas DOES have "comms blackout" period like this, it's never been more than a couple few days.  I feel like Jean is doing his best to put a good face on a potentially ugly situation, a situation that he has a lot to do with.

That's my thought. But Jean did make the statement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Common ESL mistakes are more tense related...Can you borrow me the book ..yesterday I go to  the store...  even when baited with the answer ...Question What did you do last night? Answer..Last night I do my homework... Q  What did she do last night? A She do her homework last night ... Rarely, even at level 1, are there pronoun mistakes..It's almost always with the tenses..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jean's comment about Rimas going dark pending rescue makes perfect sense for a dim-witted ego-maniac in denial.

Rimas has shown us over and over that whenever anything challenges his way of not doing things, he shuts down; he either boots them off Facebook, refuses to take well-intentioned advice, refuses to learn, well, anything (most notably sailing), and so on. Think of it like a pissed-off girlfriend giving you the silent treatment. It's a form of pouting. His going dark leaves his actual activity hidden so that speculation without proof is all anyone has to go by. Rimas is free to fabricate his own story of what happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

Common ESL mistakes are more tense related...Can you borrow me the book ..yesterday I go to  the store...  even when baited with the answer ...Question What did you do last night? Answer..Last night I do my homework... Q  What did she do last night? A She do her homework last night ... Rarely, even at level 1, are there pronoun mistakes..It's almost always with the tenses..

Mistake? Geez....us hill folk some say talk kinda funny. But we reckon is how you are confusing grammar with local dialects. All it takes is a short period of geographic isolation or ethnic isolation in an extended or nuclear family group and whalla, more dialects  are born. What you are pointing out as errors may be correct within the speakers group. Isolation within a major city is a concept many have difficulty understanding. Drop on by and set a spell, plenty of grog and the blackberry crop is really good this year. oh and the 21st for

2min 6sec. . the suns gonna be 100% et up. and that's gonna happen no matter what dialect you be speakin at the tme. I love language without it would have nothing to say....chcuckle

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Jean's comment about Rimas going dark pending rescue makes perfect sense for a dim-witted ego-maniac in denial.

Rimas has shown us over and over that whenever anything challenges his way of not doing things, he shuts down; he either boots them off Facebook, refuses to take well-intentioned advice, refuses to learn, well, anything (most notably sailing), and so on. Think of it like a pissed-off girlfriend giving you the silent treatment. It's a form of pouting. His going dark leaves his actual activity hidden so that speculation without proof is all anyone has to go by. Rimas is free to fabricate his own story of what happened.

Eh I honestly think it's simpler than this.  Rimas seeks a tow claiming an emergency that doesn't really exist.  He probably, rightly, feels that a series of communications between him and Jean and other handlers, documented in text on the Delorme, may show rescuers that he really didn't have the emergency he claimed and get him in trouble.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Jean's comment about Rimas going dark pending rescue makes perfect sense for a dim-witted ego-maniac in denial.

Rimas has shown us over and over that whenever anything challenges his way of not doing things, he shuts down; he either boots them off Facebook, refuses to take well-intentioned advice, refuses to learn, well, anything (most notably sailing), and so on. Think of it like a pissed-off girlfriend giving you the silent treatment. It's a form of pouting. His going dark leaves his actual activity hidden so that speculation without proof is all anyone has to go by. Rimas is free to fabricate his own story of what happened.

I agree, and there's plenty of examples of that and similar behavior. However, can't recall anytime Rimas anchored to await a tow. As best as I recall, the only time he anchored was in Richardson Bay, and Jean did it for him. Everywhere he's taken a tow was much too deep to anchor. Jean is just fabricating positive spin. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Eh I honestly think it's simpler than this.  Rimas seeks a tow claiming an emergency that doesn't really exist.  He probably, rightly, feels that a series of communications between him and Jean and other handlers, documented in text on the Delorme, may show rescuers that he really didn't have the emergency he claimed and get him in trouble.

Pouting is as simple as it gets. Pouting is the perfect companion to denial. Pouting takes no thought, no discipline, no effort at all. Rimas.

You're giving Rimas far too much credit. He's not that smart. Controlling the trail of evidence is too difficult for most intelligent people and Rimas ain't intelligent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RKoch said:

I agree, and there's plenty of examples of that and similar behavior. However, can't recall anytime Rimas anchored to await a tow. As best as I recall, the only time he anchored was in Richardson Bay, and Jean did it for him. Everywhere he's taken a tow was much too deep to anchor. Jean is just fabricating positive spin. 

I have nothing to base the following opinion on but observations of Jean's behavior and attitude toward nautical activities in general, but I think he was using the word "anchor" as general shorthand for "not sailing" or "waiting." I mean even less than Rimas' normal minimal sailing activity.

Every time Rimas shows up anywhere, there is a blackout period and then suddenly he is tied up somewhere with a story to tell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Mistake? Geez....us hill folk some say talk kinda funny. But we reckon is how you are confusing grammar with local dialects. All it takes is a short period of geographic isolation or ethnic isolation in an extended or nuclear family group and whalla, more dialects  are born. What you are pointing out as errors may be correct within the speakers group. Isolation within a major city is a concept many have difficulty understanding. Drop on by and set a spell, plenty of grog and the blackberry crop is really good this year. oh and the 21st for

2min 6sec. . the suns gonna be 100% et up. and that's gonna happen no matter what dialect you be speakin at the tme. I love language without it would have nothing to say....chcuckle

Word!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

I have nothing to base the following opinion on but observations of Jean's behavior and attitude toward nautical activities in general, but I think he was using the word "anchor" as general shorthand for "not sailing" or "waiting." I mean even less than Rimas' normal minimal sailing activity.

Every time Rimas shows up anywhere, there is a blackout period and then suddenly he is tied up somewhere with a story to tell.

Agree, but 6 days exceeds his blackout periods except when he didn't have the Delorme. Also, just because he's not posting messages (busy steering at the end of a tow rope?) doesn't mean the Delorme isn't still pinging regularly. We just don't see those pings. He also wasn't messaging while being towed out of Hilo. I think he just tries to hide being towed.

at this point, over 6 days, if Rimas fetched up anywhere in Fiji he'd have been spotted by now, and news of a shipwrecked sailor would be out. I'm inclined to think if the boat is within Fiji waters, Rimas is likely dead. If he was flushed back out to sea, he's probably alive and drifting. In that case, he may be in blackout to hide embarrassment over missing his second landfall attempt. IDK what he does when he runs out of food.

Link to post
Share on other sites

RKoch, I agree that we are in uncharted territory here, re: Rimas.

I mean, except for that time he left Monterey en route to San Francisco.

I'm of the school which believes he's been eaten by sharks already. But he still might pop up at a Starbucks near you any minute now...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RKoch said:

 In that case, he may be in blackout to hide embarrassment over missing his second landfall attempt. IDK what he does when he runs out of food.

I find it hard to believe that Rimas can be embarrassed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

I find it hard to believe that Rimas can be embarrassed.  

When his ego is bruised, which is pretty much anytime his sailing ability is tested and he fails miserably.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno, failure just gives him an opportunity to create another heroic story.  "Huge seas impossible to harbor" comes to mind. Of course he might have to go dark to create the suspense that makes the story believable to his FB fans. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CruiserJim said:

I find it hard to believe that Rimas can be embarrassed.  

Back in January, or thereabout Rimas posted on FB how much he loved sailing.I asked him if he got a chance to sail over the weekend and he defriended me. I knew at the time he, or someone had taken the sails down and there was talk of taking the mast down and moving the boat up river to a cheap or free moorage. I knew he would not get out of the harbor unassisted, and I know he would never just go out sailing for a few hours for the fun of it. I have to believe that he or his handlers had a mighty thin skin about my very gentle needling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, captpiratedog said:

Common ESL mistakes are more tense related...Can you borrow me the book ..yesterday I go to  the store...  even when baited with the answer ...Question What did you do last night? Answer..Last night I do my homework... Q  What did she do last night? A She do her homework last night ... Rarely, even at level 1, are there pronoun mistakes..It's almost always with the tenses..

Pretty much everyone I met and spoke to in Fiji - even a six year old girl in a village in the Yasawas - had some basic English. Enough to be understood and communicate. I had a young Fijian teen from a village tied to my boat for a couple of hours as we worked together to sort out some problems he was having with the outboard on his fishing boat. We had zero problems communicating.

May will speak Fijian and English, or Hindi and English if they aren't native Fijian (there are a fair number of folks there of Indian descent). But the blanks looks you get from speaking English to someone are close to zero.

But it's not always a first language, especially for people growing up in remote villages, and there is often what we Americans would perceive as an accent. And people will switch back and forth between languages quickly, especially if they have something to discuss among themselves. That's indicative of either less comfort with English, or a desire to mask what they are saying from the tourist, of course.

I don't know much about ESL and mistakes, but the English you hear spoken in Fiji is not textbook perfect by a long shot. I don't recall how pronouns were used or abused with the people I spoke with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Pretty much everyone I met and spoke to in Fiji - even a six year old girl in a village in the Yasawas - had some basic English. Enough to be understood and communicate. I had a young Fijian teen from a village tied to my boat for a couple of hours as we worked together to sort out some problems he was having with the outboard on his fishing boat. We had zero problems communicating.

May will speak Fijian and English, or Hindi and English if they aren't native Fijian (there are a fair number of folks there of Indian descent). But the blanks looks you get from speaking English to someone are close to zero.

But it's not always a first language, especially for people growing up in remote villages, and there is often what we Americans would perceive as an accent. And people will switch back and forth between languages quickly, especially if they have something to discuss among themselves. That's indicative of either less comfort with English, or a desire to mask what they are saying from the tourist, of course.

I don't know much about ESL and mistakes, but the English you hear spoken in Fiji is not textbook perfect by a long shot. I don't recall how pronouns were used or abused with the people I spoke with.

Finglish maybe?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok, believe me or not, i don't care, but the search plane came over my village this afternoon.
The regular afternoon plane lands at the airport a bit from here but this one came along the coast towards Savusavu and back again.
I talked to my uncle a while ago and he said the plane had not found anything this afternoon, and they will search again tomorrow morning from 8 to 9.
 
Also my father has 2 cousin brothers not far from Rabi and they have a fiber with a 40hp outboard. They have been diving on all those reefs for many years and could go looking for wreckage, if we find someone to pay for the benzine. But may be they should wait till after the plane search tomorrow. There is also a big police boat with 2 outboards in Tukavesi even closer to Rabi that might be able to do something, and also another fiber from the fishery department on Rambi itself. But it will be very slow to navigate through the reefs and it will take a while.
 
Must go now, and put the net out on the reef here as it is low water now, and we need to sell some fish tomorrow to pay for bus fare to the cane plantation in Labasa.
Nite nite all !