Jump to content

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, RKoch said:

I do not have first hand experience there. My understanding is that while beautiful, the waters around Fiji can be tricky.  The currents are strong, idk how predictable they are. Some of the reefs are inaccurately charted. Navigational markers appear unreliable.  Rain squalls can sharply reduce visibility. I'd say a competent and cautious captain, with reliable auxillary power,  keeping a good lookout, can travel fairly safely in daylight. I personally wouldn't attempt nighttime sailing within or near the islands and reefs. Experienced sailors have wrecked there, even the Fijian Navy.  An incompetent sailor, in a tub of a boat (that's claimed to be damaged), without an operating motor, is just courting disaster. I hope Rimas recognized the danger in time, and was able to bail out to the north. 

 

That's an understatement. Half of them look like big sticks jammed into the reefs.

The charts suck. What most of us did was share GPS tracks with others that had been through the area before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • RKoch

    2725

  • bfloyd4445

    1844

  • couchsurfer

    1533

  • Excoded Tom

    958

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

4 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

If you are correct then isn't very possible he was caught by the current and flushed around the reef? But his last message was the 30th at 4:19pm......or was that PST?

The Delorme website timestamps your local time. I've converted it to Fiji time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Navy dudes right index finger is pointing to roughly 65 miles north of Texas Reef.

Untitled.jpg

 

Looks like they've delineated a search area between the Rola rule and the book. ie Rimas's last Delorme position would be halfway in between the two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Looks like they've delineated a search area between the Rola rule and the book. ie Rimas's last Delorme position would be halfway in between the two.

 

                 Holy smokes you guys notice everything.  BUT did you also notice that the Navy dude is married and judging by his fat fingers - and deeply indented ring - that he has been married for at least 10 years.  Also, his wife must also be a good cook for him to have gained that much weight.  His fingernails are well groomed indicating that he is a person who cares about details.....just the man I would want searching for me.    This search is literally in GOOD HANDS

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

 

                   This search is literally in GOOD HANDS

 

                   The fact that he isn't wearing a watch though makes me think that this search is perhaps being conducted on Island Time...

island_time_zone.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kingstonsail said:

 

                   The fact that is isn't wearing a watch though makes me think that this search is perhaps being conducted on Island Time...

island_time_zone.jpg

Well- the search started about 5-6 days too late, so yeah....

Meanwhile, the potential search area is growing exponentially.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tatters said:

Well- the search started about 5-6 days too late, so yeah....

Meanwhile, the potential search area is growing exponentially.

Keeping in mind we have no idea for whom they are searching, either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tatters said:

Well- the search started about 5-6 days too late, so yeah....

Meanwhile, the potential search area is growing exponentially.

Ocean floor contours change very slowly.  Plenty of time to find the wreck...

 

Edit: stupid autospelling

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Enablers reading this?

If so what a clusterfuck! Rimas had tradewind sailing, good visibilty with only some sailing and navigation skills required to make a simple landfall.

Rimas could never do this. NEVER. Yet you encouraged him, gave him money, even admired him... Dreamy mindless uncaring childish thinking.

Now there are more resources again being spent needlessly chasing down an idiot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

 

                 Holy smokes you guys notice everything.  BUT did you also notice that the Navy dude is married and judging by his fat fingers - and deeply indented ring - that he has been married for at least 10 years.  Also, his wife must also be a good cook for him to have gained that much weight.  His fingernails are well groomed indicating that he is a person who cares about details.....just the man I would want searching for me.    This search is literally in GOOD HANDS

 
Yep, that's my uncle, and he plays rugby too.
 I am not gone a say "you see, I told you so", we are humble people. But apart from all the bull, you can take my posts seriously.
 
And I must say that the Fijian SAR people really make a tremendous effort. They have not many resources or money, certainly not after cyclone Winston, but nevertheless they charter the plane and have been out searching for 3 days now. Absolutely amazing and I am sure all of you will eventually be very appreciative!
They also know exactly what has been going on, and have the deLorean track. Hell, they may very well be on this site, if they have time to waste...
 
Sorry, must go now, I am posing between exams, and if they catch me with my fone the principal will confiscate my 1000 dollar iphone! 
Link to post
Share on other sites

So rimas has a Delorean? Maybe he went back to 1955?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For consideration: IF Reamus is truly just drifting, no sails up. The currents do not flow thru an obstacle! They will split/divert around the reef/island, possibly with increased flows. So he may have cheated death (several times??) and been flushed around the edges of various reefs at the last minute.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, longy said:

For consideration: IF Reamus is truly just drifting, no sails up. The currents do not flow thru an obstacle! They will split/divert around the reef/island, possibly with increased flows. So he may have cheated death (several times??) and been flushed around the edges of various reefs at the last minute.

dream on

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:
if they catch me with my fone the principal will confiscate my 1000 dollar iphone! 

OK, now I know RKoch was spot-on; this dude is a Troll.  Poor village fisherman students don't have $1000 iPhones.  Nice try Punk-Ass.....

I have a JOB, and I didn't pay $1K for my iPhone.  Of course, my job pays for my work iPhone, so I guess its a push.  

However, my personal iPhone is a 5s POS married to a Verizon contract with my wife.

So, Who's the fool now?  Me I suppose.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kingstonsail said:

 

                 Holy smokes you guys notice everything.  BUT did you also notice that the Navy dude is married and judging by his fat fingers - and deeply indented ring - that he has been married for at least 10 years.  Also, his wife must also be a good cook for him to have gained that much weight.  His fingernails are well groomed indicating that he is a person who cares about details.....just the man I would want searching for me.    This search is literally in GOOD HANDS

Holmes and Watson are on the case.

- Lestrade

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kingstonsail said:

 

                 Holy smokes you guys notice everything.  BUT did you also notice that the Navy dude is married and judging by his fat fingers - and deeply indented ring - that he has been married for at least 10 years.  Also, his wife must also be a good cook for him to have gained that much weight.  His fingernails are well groomed indicating that he is a person who cares about details.....just the man I would want searching for me.    This search is literally in GOOD HANDS

Holmes and Watson are on the case.

- Lestrade

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That long skinny bay to the west of the last reported position (Natewa Bay) combined with a 4 1/2' tidal range would create a huge ebb and flood tide, probably on the order of 2 - 3 knots. When the tide changes, the new reverse flow starts at the sides. 2 ebbs and 2 floods per day, every 6 hours it changes. If he was being washed toward the reef for the 4(?) previous hours he could easily have had his direction changed for him by the change in tide without benefit of tiller or eptitude

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Holmes and Watson are on the case.

- Lestrade

 

Bet your ass we are:

https://tradingeconomics.com/fiji/gdp-per-capita-ppp

Would you spend 1/8th of your annual income on a frivolous novelty such as an iPhone?

i think not.

I didn't spend 1/8th of my annual income on the car I drive. 

Unfortunately, I've spent more than 1/8th of my annual income on my boat.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longy said:

For consideration: IF Reamus is truly just drifting, no sails up. The currents do not flow thru an obstacle! They will split/divert around the reef/island, possibly with increased flows. So he may have cheated death (several times??) and been flushed around the edges of various reefs at the last minute.

 

    isnt that like saying the energy that creates waves should split and divert ? ....   even still.  the currents only need to get him within 100 meters of a lee shore..then mother nature takes over

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes u r right, the google images are in the clouds. But then Bing does not show any of the reef continuing to the south and the west of this reef.  Go to  https://www.bing.com/maps/aerial and search for Rabi Island.

Google "rabi island fiji mapcarta" for easy google earth image and huge geography too.

Below the Bing pic for the lazy lurkers...

And indeed, as I posted before, the reef is fully sumerged but always breaks:  post # 20815,  quote: "My father just come back from the cane cutting and he knows the Texas reef in Rabi and says the seas are always breaking over the reef and that is quite deep on the other side, we fear that the boat has sank, but you can walk over the reef and than you have to swim quite a bit to Rabi.Often they are spear fishing behind the reef but not now because it is full moon and the fish will see you." And recently I mentioned my cousin brothers may go out in their "fiber" (that's what you gringo's call a panga), and he knows that reef even better. "Inside", or over the reef , it is quite deep, and full of crabs too. It takes about a week to devour a body.

Sorry, I start crying now, God bless the pour sole!

5988f9a2b2569_rabiisltexasreef.thumb.jpg.9197a021fb866375d5306291eae79809.jpg

3 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

Texas Reef is fully submerged. Doesn't show on Google Earth even. Many here were unaware of it. I found it on Bing Maps. Was very surprised at how formidable of an obstacle it was.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, thereefgeek said:

OK, now I know RKoch was spot-on; this dude is a Troll.  Poor village fisherman students don't have $1000 iPhones.  Nice try Punk-Ass.....

I have a JOB, and I didn't pay $1K for my iPhone.  Of course, my job pays for my work iPhone, so I guess its a push.  

However, my personal iPhone is a 5s POS married to a Verizon contract with my wife.

So, Who's the fool now?  Me I suppose.

 

yes, you are the fool. we call our fj$ 100 (50 us) chinese android fones an iphone, just to piss off those rotten apple junkies !!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The trades blow pretty reliably this time of year. 10-20 knots.

If it were a glassy calm with low swell Rimas might have had a ride around obstacles but that is unlikely.

Tradewinds combined with swell and chop will be a large part of his drift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sailronin said:

Pretty sure he had no idea the reef was there, they don't usually show up on road maps!

funny.......yeah well anything can show up if yur drinkin the right kind of grog even mermaids

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Yes u r right, the google images are in the clouds. But then Bing does not show any of the reef continuing to the south and the west of this reef.  Go to  https://www.bing.com/maps/aerial and search for Rabi Island.

Google "rabi island fiji mapcarta" for easy google earth image and huge geography too.

Below the Bing pic for the lazy lurkers...

And indeed, as I posted before, the reef is fully sumerged but always breaks:  post # 20815,  quote: "My father just come back from the cane cutting and he knows the Texas reef in Rabi and says the seas are always breaking over the reef and that is quite deep on the other side, we fear that the boat has sank, but you can walk over the reef and than you have to swim quite a bit to Rabi.Often they are spear fishing behind the reef but not now because it is full moon and the fish will see you." And recently I mentioned my cousin brothers may go out in their "fiber" (that's what you gringo's call a panga), and he knows that reef even better. "Inside", or over the reef , it is quite deep, and full of crabs too. It takes about a week to devour a body.

Sorry, I start crying now, God bless the pour sole!

5988f9a2b2569_rabiisltexasreef.thumb.jpg.9197a021fb866375d5306291eae79809.jpg

 

None of us believe you. Post a picture of yourself with "I am the walrus" written on a piece of paper in your left hand, and a piece of fruit of your choice in your right hand, and I'll fund your cellphone for a year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RKoch said:

He's been silent longer when he didn't have the Delorme with him. I don't recall him being quiet for this long when he had it. 

Assuming a scrap of sail forward, and no means to fix the rudder in position, I expect the boat would head generally downwind but sheer about a whole lot. 

unless he hits a strong current parallel to the reef. He could control the sheering around somewhat with a little ingenuity, line, and an improvised sea anchor. Please don't underestimate his abiltity after all he is a record setting mariner with thousands of miles under his belt and he has surprised us before. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Monkey said:

None of us believe you. Post a picture of yourself with "I am the walrus" written on a piece of paper in your left hand, and a piece of fruit of your choice in your right hand, and I'll fund your cellphone for a year. 

Just take a photo of a piece of paper with Sailing Anarchy written on it in front of a unmistakeably Fijian image... Road sign to somewhere maybe.

It may make the front page where nobody will read it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longy said:

For consideration: IF Reamus is truly just drifting, no sails up. The currents do not flow thru an obstacle! They will split/divert around the reef/island, possibly with increased flows. So he may have cheated death (several times??) and been flushed around the edges of various reefs at the last minute.

that's what I have been thinking

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Just take a photo of a piece of paper with Sailing Anarchy written on it in front of a unmistakeably Fijian image... Road sign to somewhere maybe.

It may make the front page where nobody will read it.

Better idea, post a picture of your sisters tits, holding a sailing anarchy sign.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

Texas Reef is fully submerged. Doesn't show on Google Earth even. Many here were unaware of it. I found it on Bing Maps. Was very surprised at how formidable of an obstacle it was.

If this is correct, and I've no reason for doubt; the reef is still a very large structure in deep water, with a fairly large swell that has a long wsw'ly fetch,.....? Wouldn't it raise a hell of a breaker as the swell crosses the submerged reef.....?  Even if Mimsy's keel passed over the coral, the breakers on this reef would do their job.....

 

 

 

Or it could be the rum......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, madohe said:

If this is correct, and I've no reason for doubt; the reef is still a very large structure in deep water, with a fairly large swell that has a long wsw'ly fetch,.....? Wouldn't it raise a hell of a breaker as the swell crosses the submerged reef.....?  Even if Mimsy's keel passed over the coral, the breakers on this reef would do their job.....

 

 

 

Or it could be the rum......

Yes. Even submerged, there will still be some nasty breakers on the windward side. Water goes from many hundreds feet deep to shoal.  Even if it's deep enough for the Rawson's keel, the breakers will wipe it out. Particularly if Rimas is unable to steer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Yes u r right, the google images are in the clouds  Just like my head... But then Bang.net does satisfy either  Go figure?

Google "rabbit island fiji margarita " for  huge geography !

 I prefer  Blow to Bling for the lazy lurkers...

And indeed, as I posted before, my life is fully sumerged and always breaks down post # 20815,  quote: "My father just come back from the cane cutting  on the mirror and he knows  Texas says the lines are always breaking over the mirror  and that is quite deep on the other side,I fear that the he has sank with me to lower levels but you can walk over to Lake Dolores and have to swim with Captpiratedogs sister Barstow betty from Fresno.Often they are spear fishing  her behind the reef but not now because it is full moon and the lurkers will see you." And recently I mentioned my cousin brothers are doing her (that's what you gringo's call a "get it on motherfucker!"), and he knows that hole even better. "Inside", or over the back side , it is quite deep, and full of crabs too. It takes about a week to get them off your body.

Sorry, I'm.......

 crying now, God bless my poor soul !

 

 

There FIFY

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all a ploy by Fortress FaceBook to destroy this thread!

Jim Furnish trying to infiltrate as a poor Fijian boy, of all the characters he could have chose.

War is hell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

British, like those Hawaiian Islands?

Those Hawaiian's don't speak proper English they speak Yankee. Yankee a dialect based on colonial English rooted in low class street language of London in the 15-16oo's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rimas' support group is costing Fiji many thousands of dollars  and tying up SAR assets by sending an incompetent out on a doomed voyage.  Jean should get a bill from Fiji to cover all the expenses.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

It's all a ploy by Fortress FaceBook to destroy this thread!

Jim Furnish trying to infiltrate as a poor Fijian boy, of all the characters he could have chose.

War is hell.

Naw, war is life and hell is where it ends. I do believe it is Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sailronin said:

Rimas' support group is costing Fiji many thousands of dollars  and tying up SAR assets by sending an incompetent out on a doomed voyage.  Jean should get a bill from Fiji to cover all the expenses.

 

Yah, Jean should get a bill for trying to be Henry Higgins.

 

" Henry Higgins makes a bet that he can train a bedraggled Cockney flower girl, Eliza Doolittle, to pass for a duchess at an ambassador's garden party by teaching her to assume a veneer of gentility"

 

Rimas was a homeless drifter and panhandler. There is nothing to suggest he could become a responsible boat owner and competent sailor. In fact, he had previously demonstrated he was incapable, and stubbornly refused to learn the required skills to maintain and operate a vessel. Jean kept sending him out until he killed himself. With no boat, Rimas is land bound.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Just as Americans speak a fusion of Euro Gypsy and Irish/ UK low class street language now accepted as the only true version of the Queens English = colourful! :)

as gypsy as the word " modernrate " ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Morning, trying to catch up on all those overnight post before school.

My geography is not so huge yet, like I had to search S.A. for Fresno and found that a certain Da-Woody calls it a drug infested dump, we have plenty of that around here, and i often go down to the dump here to get food for my pigs.

Off to school now for my science exam, but FYI, we use this at school for our geography, very handy: https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@4&key=xfwgBcm`ea%40  you even find the depth of that Texas reef on it, it's huge!

 

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but the "huge geography" reference is a clear sign Fiji Boy is a sock.  The only time you will ever see huge geography is either on FB or this thread.

Comes across as a lame attempt at an "in" joke on this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, RKoch said:

If Rimas was caught in breakers on the reef...

 

Back at cha.  There is something particularly haunting about this video below, given the music. And it's kind of amazing he left the scene with crew in the water, even if it was to go get help.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Just take a photo of a piece of paper with Sailing Anarchy written on it in front of a unmistakeably Fijian image... Road sign to somewhere maybe.

It may make the front page where nobody will read it.

Front page?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sailronin said:

Rimas' support group is costing Fiji many thousands of dollars  and tying up SAR assets by sending an incompetent out on a doomed voyage.  Jean should get a bill from Fiji to cover all the expenses.

 

Absolutely, as I said before, they could spend all that money much better. And sue not only Jean and Jim, but the US coastguard and ICE in the first place! They knew all about this mental immigrant and a simple safety check would have earned him a $500 fine which he could not pay, then confiscate his boat and destroy it, problem solved, until Jean...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Yah, Jean should get a bill for trying to be Henry Higgins.

 

" Henry Higgins makes a bet that he can train a bedraggled Cockney flower girl, Eliza Doolittle, to pass for a duchess at an ambassador's garden party by teaching her to assume a veneer of gentility"

 

Rimas was a homeless drifter and panhandler. There is nothing to suggest he could become a responsible boat owner and competent sailor. In fact, he had previously demonstrated he was incapable, and stubbornly refused to learn the required skills to maintain and operate a vessel. Jean kept sending him out until he killed himself. With no boat, Rimas is land bound.

I have no problem with Jean "sending" Rimas out, that's where he wanted to be.   The only effort Rimas demonstrated was hoarding food and conniving to get loose to save his boat.   I object to the FB crowd tying up governments' resources trying to get him back again.   Rimas makes his own choices.   If Jean wanted him back he should have moored the boat in a southern reservoir where the giant flag and tales of glorious drifts for America would have gotten a receptive audience.     

Blaming Jean if Rimas dies is like blaming Hobie for the power line deaths on the other thread.   Fiji doesnt have safe navigation aids and Rimas put himself in harms way.    A tragic death doesn't absolve one of responsiblilty for ones actions.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailing Anarchy......

Anarchy is the condition of a society, entity, group of people, or a single person that rejects hierarchy.

Sounds like Rimas is or was an Anarchist.

Just saying

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LTR said:

Sailing Anarchy......

Anarchy is the condition of a society, entity, group of people, or a single person that rejects hierarchy.

Sounds like Rimas is or was an Anarchist.

Just saying

Or a stubbornly ignorant fool.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Moderate said:

The term here in Hawaii is pidgin. My god youre full of shit.

Check out PA sometime, I think youll fit in

I am not I unloaded twice today! Geez....

Been in the hills of PA, Revloc, Colver, South Fork, Johnstown a giant city and learned to drink a shot and a beer, over and over and.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lark said:

I have no problem with Jean "sending" Rimas out, that's where he wanted to be.   The only effort Rimas demonstrated was hoarding food and conniving to get lose to save his boat.   I object to the FB crowd tying up governments' resources trying to get him back again.   Rimas makes his own choices.   If Jean wanted him back he should have moored the boat in a southern reservoir where the giant flag and tales of glorious drifts for America would have gotten a receptive audience.     

Blaming Jean if Rimas dies is like blaming Hobie for the power line deaths on the other thread.   Fiji doesnt have safe navigation aids and Rimas put himself in harms way.    A tragic death doesn't absolve one of responsiblilty for ones actions.   

You're assuming Rimas is a mentally competent adult able to make rational decisions.  I'd say he's more like an impulsive 5 year old, who needs to be told "NO!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RKoch said:

You're assuming Rimas is a mentally competent adult able to make rational decisions.  I'd say he's more like an impulsive 5 year old, who needs to be told "NO!"

He would fit in the local trailer park just fine.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RKoch said:

You're assuming Rimas is a mentally competent adult able to make rational decisions.  I'd say he's more like an impulsive 5 year old, who needs to be told "NO!"

Not at all. Delusional, likely, but if he survives, have a sit down with him sometime. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure someone in charge around here could "look into" his IP address and prove Fiji Con Veegie is registered and posting from his mom's basement in Des Moines Iowa.

But then, that would ruin all the fun until we find out for sure whether or not Rimas went down with the ship like a true admiral.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LTR said:

Sailing Anarchy......

Anarchy is the condition of a society, entity, group of people, or a single person that rejects hierarchy.

Sounds like Rimas is or was an Anarchist.

Just saying

Huh?

A guy who has more American flags than all of us, a guy who demonstrates no interest in developing self sufficiency,  a guy who calls on the coastguard like a personal valet, a guy who asks everyone to pay for his misadventures, a guy who loves talking crap on social media calling everyone he hasn't met ` a dear friend'.

`Anarchist' pffffffttt.

Link to post
Share on other sites