Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Just now, LTR said:

How can you be so sure "who" he blamed? 

If he is dead, he died doing what he loved. 

Only if he loved being cold, hungry, alone, frightened, crushed by his tumbling boat on the reef, and eaten by sharks. 

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Lark said:

Thanks, impressive seawall.     Interesting argument for tethers there.   Almost one less yacht and several less sailors.   I kept cringing for the propeller accident during the mob rescues, not the time to idle the engine.   

I was with you on that one.

I saw a male nurse get his upper torso and left arm severely slashed by a prop. He was fortunate to have on board other nurses and was only a couple of hundred yards from the marina.  

14 minutes ago, Moderate said:

Exactly when did you start paying fijian taxes?

How much do you think the multiple USCG tows, rescues, and search cost?

Chopper rescue from a remote Alaska beach. 2 day C-130 search 1000 miles off Hawaii. Tow in to Monterey. Tow in to Hilo.

Local assets: Fire Dept tow into Hilo in '13. Police tow when he let his anchor rode chafe through in Richardson Bay. 

When dealing with first-class dumbasses like Rimas and HotRod, you either padlock the boat until it's seaworthy and they display sailing ability, or make them sign a 'no-tow, no-rescue' waiver. 

20 minutes ago, oceaneer said:

So Update... is he alive??

After 8 days we don't know.

But it doesn't look good as there were many lee reefs and shores to hit in a sparsely populated area.

SAR has found nothing from search beginning Aug 5.

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Chopper rescue from a remote Alaska beach. 2 day C-130 search 1000 miles off Hawaii. Tow in to Monterey. Tow in to Hilo.

Local assets: Fire Dept tow into Hilo in '13. Police tow when he let his anchor rode chafe through in Richardson Bay. 

At what point is it cheaper to padlock his boat?

You think feeding and housing him would be cheaper? No death benefit this way either.

If they really wanted to get rid of the unruly and incapable, give them each a 4 ksb and send them off with a case of Spam, a crate of Idahoan Smashed Buttery Spuds, and a grocery cart full of whatever they wanted an hour before liftoff...and punt them off the dock on an outgoing tide.

Far cheaper, and the networks would pay big money for the video feeds.

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

You think feeding and housing him would be cheaper? No death benefit this way either.

If they really wanted to get rid of the unruly and incapable, give them each a 4 ksb and send them off with a case of Spam, a crate of Idahoan Smashed Buttery Spuds, and a grocery cart full of whatever they wanted an hour before liftoff...and punt them off the dock on an outgoing tide.

You make no mention of each getting a Delorme tracker... Very wise.

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Or find an old liner to moor out, pad the cabins, and house them there. 

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

At what point is it cheaper to padlock his boat?

Which is more heavy handed?   Padlock his boat or to let him live or die by his abilities?    Some would probably arrest frostbiters for their safety, and even take away my dinghy in November.    I judge the risks as best as I'm able, determine my weather window (small), wear a wetsuit and PFD,    I know the DNR boat is already in winter storage, and a fishing boat may or may not be in sight.   If I was dumb enough to do the shit Rimas does / did, survival should be up to me and luck.   Even with my small risks I know stupidity can be fatal.   I don't want anybody to deprive me of my right to chose.  I don't want to deprive Rimas either.   He has a right to sail his boat if he wants, Jefferson's "pursuit of happiness".   Rescue is not a right, but a possibility.    The CG has no obligation to go looking every time FB says his food is stale or its too hard to enter harbor.    They have no obligation to do more then pluck him off the boat if they do find him.   They should expect him to clean up the debris, and seize his SS if he fails to.    They clearly don't need to dispatch a cutter to act as a chase vehicle just in case his batteries die.   

1 hour ago, Fiji Gone Vuli said:

Absolutely, as I said before, they could spend all that money much better. And sue not only Jean and Jim, but the US coastguard and ICE in the first place! They knew all about this mental immigrant and a simple safety check would have earned him a $500 fine which he could not pay, then confiscate his boat and destroy it, problem solved, until Jean...

Ok...for those of you that dont get SATIRE   ...Fiji Gone Wild has pretty much admitted he is a sock puppet....but as he mentioned... A carefully researched and entertaining sock puppet....     yes he isnt a Fijian christian boy.....but at least he is entertaining  and is delivering solid Rimas updates as he works to be "authentic"..   as far as I'm concerned...  Fiji Gone Wild is a great addition to the (can we drop the Schrodinger part...and just call it ?) Rimas watch.

50 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

makes perfect sense. But if he arrived at the reef between tides there would have been no current to flush him away. Your statement that he would have arrived at the tide change bothers me as I would like to think he was flushed out to sea.

He should have arrived about 3 hours into the ebb tide.  Near max current?  

(Don't know exactly where the datum is for those tide tables - maybe plus or minus an hour?)

55 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

I saw him as an old man that had done nothing with his life, had nothing, no future not even a pension so he decided to buy a cheap boat and sail off into the sunset.  He came up with the round the world voyage to justify the purchase and to attempt to gain a bit of respect. Then after his first experience he grew fond of the publicity and decided to run with it. Neptune and enablers bailed him out time after time creating his legend. He knew how it would eventually end but undaunted he continued on..............

He was most certainly a competent adult tired of living seeking a grand finale. 

hear hear

51 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Only if he loved being cold, hungry, alone, frightened, crushed by his tumbling boat on the reef, and eaten by sharks. 

There you go again with those negative waves..........

5 hours ago, thereefgeek said:

OK, now I know RKoch was spot-on; this dude is a Troll.  Poor village fisherman students don't have $1000 iPhones.  Nice try Punk-Ass.....

I have a JOB, and I didn't pay $1K for my iPhone.  Of course, my job pays for my work iPhone, so I guess its a push.  

However, my personal iPhone is a 5s POS married to a Verizon contract with my wife.

So, Who's the fool now?  Me I suppose.

Well...his dollars are worth half of yours.

1 hour ago, thereefgeek said:

I'm sure someone in charge around here could "look into" his IP address and prove Fiji Con Veegie is registered and posting from his mom's basement in Des Moines Iowa.

But then, that would ruin all the fun until we find out for sure whether or not Rimas went down with the ship like a true admiral.

No me. I turned in my keys.

1 hour ago, toddster said:

"Texas Reef" doesn't show on Google because it is simply outside their satellite imaging halo - only low-resolution bathymetry is shown for that area.  It's not because it is submerged.  Hence my post of a week ago - lots of reefs don't shown on Google Earth.   

I also noted, a week ago, that the tidal change was right after Rimas's last ping.  Currents could have been changing about the time his vector got to the reef.  I would have guessed that it would flush him south, but one would really need local knowledge to really reckon that.

My experience with currents in archipelagos is that the current sweeps you around and away, when you are desperately trying to get to shore.  The wind is what can drive you up on things. Seems like internet data just doesn't give us enough information to know which would be the stronger force here.

Schrödingers Cockroach. 

Google Earth may not overfly it, but it's on the charts. Awash at low tide.

TexasReef.thumb.JPG.a4527038695cce05592ab25e5e281180.JPG

1 hour ago, bfloyd4445 said:
1 hour ago, toddster said:

"Texas Reef" doesn't show on Google because it is simply outside their satellite imaging halo - only low-resolution bathymetry is shown for that area.  It's not because it is submerged.  Hence my post of a week ago - lots of reefs don't shown on Google Earth.   

I also noted, a week ago, that the tidal change was right after Rimas's last ping.  Currents could have been changing about the time his vector got to the reef.  I would have guessed that it would flush him south, but one would really need local knowledge to really reckon that.

My experience with currents in archipelagos is that the current sweeps you around and away, when you are desperately trying to get to shore.  The wind is what can drive you up on things. Seems like internet data just doesn't give us enough information to know which would be the stronger force here.

Schrödingers Cockroach. 

makes perfect sense. But if he arrived at the reef between tides there would have been no current to flush him away. Your statement that he would have arrived at the tide change bothers me as I would like to think he was flushed out to sea.

Getting "Flushed South" is going to end up with him racking up on something. There's few easy landings down there.

59894d48112f2_FlushedSouth.thumb.JPG.16dcadb4eee41a41b3a5771348a72302.JPG

26 minutes ago, Lark said:

Which is more heavy handed?   Padlock his boat or to let him live or die by his abilities? ...

Nobody here has a problem with Rimas living his life the way he chooses, or taking the risks he is comfortable taking.

The problem is the 10's of thousands of dollars (perhaps more) that have been spent providing concierge (rescue) service, and the time spent and risk imposed upon his rescuers-  ALL OF WHICH  could have easily been avoided, if that POS had simply gotten off his ass and spent a few minutes learning the basic skills that would have prevented all of this.

It's selfish laziness, not bravery.

I believe this AM a "Health and Welfare"  went out about him on the cruiser's net in Savusavu. Essentially its a "Anyone hear from this guy or seen him?" request.

No one had seen or heard anything about him.

The Floating Rimas Cocktail 

2 1/2 cl Heavy Cream

2 1/2 cl coconut milk

6 cl  Pinapple Juice

4 cl White Rum

shaken with crushed ice, pour strained into large glass, slice of fresh pinapple on rim ( maraschino cherries may be substituted for pineapple ) 

then 

1 cl Curaçao Blue lightly 'floated' into drink 

( a variation on the well known cocktail Swimming Pool )

1 minute ago, 6924 said:

The Floating Rimas Cocktail 

2 1/2 cl Heavy Cream

2 1/2 cl coconut milk

6 cl  Pinapple Juice

4 cl White Rum

shaken with crushed ice, pour strained into large glass, slice of fresh pinapple on rim ( maraschino cherries may be substituted for pineapple ) 

then 

1 cl Curaçao Blue lightly 'floated' into drink 

( a variation on the well known cocktail Swimming Pool )

No the Rimus Cocktail is 4 shots of frozen cold Vodka  slammed down while getting head from a hot  Russian chic and listening to the Volga Boatmen next to 4 18in sub woofers

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

When dealing with first-class dumbasses like Rimas and HotRod, you either padlock the boat until it's seaworthy and they display sailing ability, or make them sign a 'no-tow, no-rescue' waiver. 

Wait, when did they do a search for him with C-130s?

I must have missed that one.

Not keeping up I guess!

13 hours ago, RKoch said:

It was like he plugging in coordinates to Savusavu and was steering right at it.

I think it was exactly like that right up until he hit TX reef.

I saw on BJ's chart pic that there are also "Florida Passages" nearby.

My geography isn't all that huge and my knowledge of Pacific Islands comes mostly from this thread. Can someone tell me why Fijian reefs are named for US states?

The "Fijian Lad" sock is funny. Funnier than Furnish. Gotta be from here.

30 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I think it was exactly like that right up until he hit TX reef.

I saw on BJ's chart pic that there are also "Florida Passages" nearby.

My geography isn't all that huge and my knowledge of Pacific Islands comes mostly from this thread. Can someone tell me why Fijian reefs are named for US states?

The "Fijian Lad" sock is funny. Funnier than Furnish. Gotta be from here.

Simple, All My Ex's Live In Texas:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjzmIffqsfVAhUJEbwKHVCmDjUQyCkIKTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlMNw_-yUm_0&usg=AFQjCNERPDPOh6ggImbhQxBuzK-W9P3SZg

(sorry, I tried to embed, fijian boy not clever enough...)

Texas = Tejas =Tejas = Mexican/Spanish 

Florida = Spanish

Dawson Bay = English

Rabi = Fijian

Rambi = Gringo

Heemskerck = Dutch

Me = Not from Texas.

I started to feel sorry for him a few weeks ago. Then I got cross with him. Now I hope, if he is dead, that he wasn't terrified for long and that it was over quickly for him.

Tricia

No further news from here on the scene, apparently no development or progress today. And my Navy uncle thinks I am a bit to nosey. Weather was too bad today, and they are probably working on plan B.
Will update you as soon as I find out tomorrow, i.e. about 11 hours from now, at the earliest.
Don't expact miracles though!

And sorry but me thinks it was a long struggle on the reef first, but once sinking in the deep water across the reef probably rather quick.
All uninformed speculation of course, just hate to think about it.
RIP RIMAS
4 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

Who always says me thinks here...?

"A surviving old-English dative construction of "it seems to me" where "me" is the indirect object. Sadly, abused by people who make special trips"!!!

G'day & G'night

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Can someone tell me why Fijian reefs are named for US states?

From the U.S. Exploring Expedition, 1840's. Surveyed the area and did natural history- the island group Rimas just drifted past during the storm (sic.) are named the Exploring Islands after them. Individual islands have local names as they are frequented, inhabited, etc, but some of the farer flung reefs around there have non-fijian names on charts. The locals actually use these names too for the most part, although some/most probably do have dual names...

(I am no Fiji Gone Boy, but did work in eastern island group here a few years back...)

12 minutes ago, mightyhartley said:

From the U.S. Exploring Expedition, 1840's. Surveyed the area and did natural history- the island group Rimas just drifted past during the storm (sic.) are named the Exploring Islands after them. Individual islands have local names as they are frequented, inhabited, etc, but some of the farer flung reefs around there have non-fijian names on charts. The locals actually use these names too for the most part, although some/most probably do have dual names...

(I am no Fiji Gone Boy, but did work in eastern island group here a few years back...)

Never mind the Huuuuge geography lesson, show us your strumpet's apple dumpling shop.  (see, not just geography and psychology, we're getting history and etymology in this thread!!).

So I have been away the last four days.  I actually went sailing (it was terrific if anyone cares). 

I check in here and there are 500 new posts.... but no news about Rimas.  That has to be some kind of record.  Well done, folks.  And I really do enjoy what I learn from this merry bunch.  

7 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Google Earth may not overfly it, but it's on the charts. Awash at low tide.

Thank you BJ. Anyone who takes a close look at it in the Bing Maps aerial view can see that it is completely submerged (except maybe the far southwest portions). That does not mean it is not shallow. I liken it to the same reef the Volvo 70 guys nailed. The point is, if it was night and there were no big ocean swells crashing on it when Rimas was near, he probably had no warning of what he was heading towards. No lights to warn him either. As others have said, Rimas has never displayed any true survival skills other than to hole-up like a cockroach and wait it out. I hope that was not the end he met. I hope he is still drifting out there eating olives. Sigh.

26 minutes ago, woolly said:

Never mind the Huuuuge geography lesson, show us your strumpet's apple dumpling shop.  (see, not just geography and psychology, we're getting history and etymology in this thread!!).

Haha, was waiting for that. Was going to ask preferences re wife or mistress, but advice on such matters is also something we have had just recently in this thread!

2 minutes ago, mightyhartley said:

Haha, was waiting for that. Was going to ask preferences re wife or mistress, but advice on such matters is also something we have had just recently in this thread!

Yes, but on previous form, me thinks you're meant to throw all your toys out of your pram, tell us what you think of us and go storming off!!

5 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Thank you BJ. Anyone who takes a close look at it in the Bing Maps aerial view can see that it is completely submerged (except maybe the far southwest portions). That does not mean it is not shallow. I liken it to the same reef the Volvo 70 guys nailed. The point is, if it was night and there were no big ocean swells crashing on it when Rimas was near, he probably had no warning of what he was heading towards. No lights to warn him either. As others have said, Rimas has never displayed any true survival skills other than to hole-up like a cockroach and wait it out. I hope that was not the end he met. I hope he is still drifting out there eating olives. Sigh.

It's interesting to approach reefs that have big surf from upwind and with the swell. You don't hear that much since you are upwind and the thunder of the surf is in front of the wave. If you walk across the same reef to look at the surf from the reef looking upwind it can be quite a roar.

I find it quite believable that many a sailor has gone up on a reef without hearing even quite big surf.

8 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I believe this AM a "Health and Welfare"  went out about him on the cruiser's net in Savusavu. Essentially its a "Anyone hear from this guy or seen him?" request.

No one had seen or heard anything about him.

I sent an email to Curly and another chap, enquiring of Mimsy's whereabouts, as there seems to be no FB or local news.["Goooood Morning Savusavu!"]

http://curlycarswell.blogspot.ca/p/island-cruising-ass.html

http://fijivillage.com/news/

http://www.fijitimes.com/default.aspx

http://www.fbc.com.fj/fiji

http://fijisun.com.fj/category/news/

A marine death reported from yesterday, but not the Rimas, in the above links.

I still believe he drifted past safely, just as he kon-tikied through fishing fleets at night this trip, sailed in circles in the path of a hurricane, dodged shipping with likely no lights, and fell asleep grounded on a reef in AK, waking to a world record lawn darting.

I might have missed it, but do we know for sure that the Fiji SAR mission is in fact looking for Rimas?

Also, if Fiji government is looking for Rimas, isn't Jean obliged to share whatever tracker breadcrumbs or access codes he has and any information he has about Rimas' whereabouts?

22 minutes ago, tatters said:

One person cannot insure another person's life.  Only Rimas could have bought a policy on his life, which seems exceptionally unlikely.

Not correct. 

You must prove "insurable interest".

Having “insurable interest” means that you would be adversely affected financially if the person who is insured died.

4 hours ago, triciarob said:

I started to feel sorry for him a few weeks ago. Then I got cross with him. Now I hope, if he is dead, that he wasn't terrified for long and that it was over quickly for him.

Tricia

Yeh, with you on that,, as much as many of us consider him as a complete moron to shun some simple learning, I can't imagine any wish him harm when he meets the inevitable. :mellow:

8 minutes ago, madohe said:

Not correct. 

Having “insurable interest” means that you would be adversely affected financially if the person who is insured died.

...Rather opposite for Jean I suppose,,, unless he claims book rights.

38 minutes ago, tatters said:

One person cannot insure another person's life.  Only Rimas could have bought a policy on his life, which seems exceptionally unlikely.

I don't believe that is true?  Don't companies buy "Key-Man" Policies on their top execs?

6 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Can someone tell me why Fijian reefs are named for US states?

It could be named after a ship that wrecked there. Like Blossom Rock in SF Bay.

6 minutes ago, Corvo said:

It could be named after a ship that wrecked there. Like Blossom Rock in SF Bay.

Most likely named to improve relations with the USA after leaving Britain's cloak to entice larger sums of foreign aid. Just speculation.....The USA was very generous with its aid at that time and still is in my opinion

34 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

Yeh, with you on that,, as much as many of us consider him as a complete moron to shun some simple learning, I can't imagine any wish him harm when he meets the inevitable. :mellow:

It's enough to estimate how much  money will "Sailing A(g)round the World Contiki Style" generates. A bestseller   that would  likely sell million copies all over the World.

2 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Most likely named to improve relations with the USA after leaving Britain's cloak to entice larger sums of foreign aid. Just speculation.....The USA was very generous with its aid at that time and still is in my opinion

I say once again bfloyd is a sock for Dabnis.

55 minutes ago, madohe said:

Not correct. 

That means we all qualify. His passing definitely will adversely effect my life. Geez....how am I gonna get through the day without the Rimas for entertainment. .....gonna drive me to drink

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Even if Rimyth drifted past safely....he had long before messaged his concern over dwindling food and water....there has been rain so if could have replenished his water reserves....food is another matter....he is a weakened old man if still alive

I believe Jean said Rimas had 6 months supply of food when he set out from Hilo.  If so, food (other than the nutritional value of maraschino cherries) should not be a problem.

1 hour ago, BrickTopHarry said:

I might have missed it, but do we know for sure that the Fiji SAR mission is in fact looking for Rimas?

Also, if Fiji government is looking for Rimas, isn't Jean obliged to share whatever tracker breadcrumbs or access codes he has and any information he has about Rimas' whereabouts?

I was wondering the same thing.  The only confirmation of a Fiji SAR I am aware of came from the Fiji boy sock.

3 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I say once again bfloyd is a sock for Dabnis.

it is no secret that the people in Fiji enjoyed the grants and did everything in their power to entice more in the future after their 1971 liberation from the empire. 

6 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

I believe Jean said Rimas had 6 months supply of food when he set out from Hilo.  If so, food (other than the nutritional value of maraschino cherries) should not be a problem.

I was wondering the same thing.  The only confirmation of a Fiji SAR I am aware of came from the Fiji boy sock.

Rimas and Jean claimed he had 6 months of food. Rimas began complaining that his food was running low before reaching Am Samoa (7 weeks after leaving Hilo), and that continued until he went silent. 

5 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

try this link. The Fijian navy operates in this capacity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Fiji_Military_Forces

Today, a 300-man strong Navy Unit RFMF, which on 25 July 2015 celebrated the fortieth anniversary of its founding. It was formed in 1975 (Naval squadron Royal Fiji Military Forces), following the government's ratification of the United Nations Law of the Sea convention. The Navy is responsible for maritime needs in border control, such as watching over Fiji's exclusive economic zone and organising task and rescue missions. It currently operates 9 patrol boats. Military aid is received from Australia, the People's Republic of China, and the United Kingdom (although the latter has suspended aid as a result of the 2006 military coup against the civilian government).

57 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

Wouldn't such a dramatic demise help increase the future value of Jean's book?

9 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Rimas and Jean claimed he had 6 months of food. Rimas began complaining that his food was running low before reaching Am Samoa (7 weeks after leaving Hilo), and that continued until he went silent. 

Yeah, but you know claiming an "emergency" is a standard Rimas mooch a tow tactic

And if he actually believed he was low on food, all he would have to do is open a few lockers - and voila, food will magically appear.

Remember the sails and food he has "found" on previous adventures?

19 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

I don't know when the reefs were named, but it likely was when Fiji was still a British colony. The U.S. had an isolationist foreign policy until nearly WW2, and it's unlikely foreign aid was sent to other countries colonies. Aid to allies was sent during WW2, and aid was expanded during the Cold War to counter Soviet influence. Other than tourist dollars, I don't think Fiji gets much US aid. Most of it has come from Aus and NZ, I think recently they've had talks with China. As usual, your opinion is based on your own bias and prejudice, and not on facts.

9 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Today, a 300-man strong Navy Unit RFMF, which on 25 July 2015 celebrated the fortieth anniversary of its founding. It was formed in 1975 (Naval squadron Royal Fiji Military Forces), following the government's ratification of the United Nations Law of the Sea convention. The Navy is responsible for maritime needs in border control, such as watching over Fiji's exclusive economic zone and organising task and rescue missions. It currently operates 9 patrol boats. Military aid is received from Australia, the People's Republic of China, and the United Kingdom (although the latter has suspended aid as a result of the 2006 military coup against the civilian government).

I was wondering - but not enough to really give a shit whether they are looking for him or not.

17 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Only 2 of Fijian Navy's 9 patrol boats are currently operational. 4 were gifts from Israel in the 70s, and may no longer even exist.  They are based in Suva, which is some distance away. I don't think there's much resources for SAR. Fijian 'Coast Guard' is a volunteer group, iDK what resources or training they have to conduct SAR. Airborne searches are conducted by NZ, at least in the south. 

3 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I can easily imagine Mimsy leaking like a sieve in just about any condition with water on the deck....and I can easily imagine his "lockers" full of water....batteries shot....label of cans...cans ruptured...anything not in a can...foil pouches punctured by rolling cans...you get the picture.... his first after pinging after his "gale"...which never was sustained gale force winds.... was nothing like the desperate tone of his last gibberish message...that still puzzles me....Rimyth... 

In the San Juan, he lost several pounds of raw oats that spoiled when the paper bag they were in got wet and he haven't checked them for a couple weeks.  I'm sure Mimsy had deck leaks like crazy...I don't know what, if any, action was taken to protect provisions from water damage.

I spent 6-7 weeks in Fiji in 2011. Never saw a Fijian Navy patrol boat.

I expect that unless specifically asked, they are not looking for him. And given the timelines, it's a bit late now.

14 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I don't know when the reefs were named, but it likely was when Fiji was still a British colony. The U.S. had an isolationist foreign policy until nearly WW2, and it's unlikely foreign aid was sent to other countries colonies. Aid to allies was sent during WW2, and aid was expanded during the Cold War to counter Soviet influence. Other than tourist dollars, I don't think Fiji gets much US aid. Most of it has come from Aus and NZ, I think recently they've had talks with China. As usual, your opinion is based on your own bias and prejudice, and not on facts.

Based upon what I read. US aid in 2015 ws$2,000,000 ccrn to: https://explorer.usaid.gov/cd/FJI?fiscal_year=2015&measure=Obligations.  

Your speculating just as I did..  I was commenting on Fiji after the Empire days not during. 

43 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Fiji SAR...what we would have read if the Fiji navy/CG was alerted would have been that they where actually investigating a report of missing sailor, followed by report of  a broadcast to alert air and marine listeners to be on the look out for ,this story, small planes fly every which way in Fiji...easily expand their flight path for a quick look see over the area in question,daily...no point in sending a navy vessel to just go look ...

I think there's a couple issues. First, Fijian immigration requires minimum 48 hours notice before entering Fijian waters, including a picture of the boat. I am sure Rimas did not comply, as it was impossible for him to do so. Second, Rimas did not know he was in danger, and never sent an SOS.  So a problem arises where someone in US is trying to persuede Fijian authorities to go look for a boat that as far as they know isn't in Fiji territory, and didn't send a mayday, and as far as they know wasn't in trouble, just begging for a long tow.  I'm not saying Fiji ignored the call, just that there was several time lapses involved, sketchy information, and lack of resources in a remote location. I don't think they even have aircraft, and have to hire plane and pilot to conduct an aeriel search. I couldn't find a real time "notice to Mariners", just a list of lights that were out. I don't know that such a structure exists for Fijian authorities to broadcast a request for assistance in a search. I think you're assuming much more resources and capabilities than actually exist. It's doubtful that a '911' call generates a large and immediate response.

3 minutes ago, woolly said:

We do have the TwitFace tweet though ..  ..  ..

Republic of #Fiji Navy engaged in a #MSAR aerial search op today for a yacht adrift N of Vanua Levu #MaritimeSearchAndRescue #TeamFiji

DGhvW1SUQAA05V5.jpg

DGhvW6oV0AAbfaX.jpg
DGhvW9BU0AAb7FU.jpg

Anyone know status of the air search? Has it been halted? 

Any FB news?

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Anyone know status of the air search? Has it been halted? 

Any FB news?

It got called off as they had to put out a fire near an oil drum.

#EMS (Domain) Youth burning rubbish next to 44 gallon drum rushed to ED by passing First Responder after drum... http://fb.me/26UZyQanO 

5 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Maybe the locals will build him a culturally derived cruising boat for him to continue on his bigly adventures. In the Kon-Tiki style!

Image result for Fiji Gone Wild

any idea what those pontoons are made from? Interesting vessel, raft.

8 minutes ago, By the lee said:

Meebe Rimas will live happily ever after w/that long breasted Fijian woman and make little Rimases for our ancestors to marvel at?

The thought of Rimas contributing to the human gene pool is frightening.