• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

On July 27, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Norse Horse said:
"Ever since he was a young boy
He played the grifter ball
From Sochi down to 'Frisco
He must have played them all
But I ain't seen nothing like him
In any Starbucks stall
That deft dumb and blind kid
Sure plays a mean jib sail!
He helms like a statue,
Becomes part of the machine
Feeling all the halyards
All his drops are clean
He sails by intuition,
Never heels at all
Sure plays a mean white squalll!
He's a Con-Tiki Drifter
There has got to be a twist
A FaceBook wizard,
S'got such a supple grift
How do you think he does it? I don't know!
What makes him so good?
He ain't got no distractions
Can't hear that mainsail shred
Don't see ship lights a flashin'
Sails by sense of smell
Always gets a free tow
Never seen him landfall
Sure plays a mean outhaul..."

5 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I love that Yacht Rock series.  So hilarious.  So smooooth.   :D

It was brilliant. JD Rayznor caught the essence of the subjects in his characterizations. Some of the real people said the show had surprising accurate moments. The actors were various unemployed actors he hung out with. The guy who played Christopher Cross also had a huge Channel 101 hit series called the House of Cosbys thst was hilarious. It got shut down by Bill Cosby's lawyers after 4 episodes. It can be found on YouTube also.

I think that it is time for all the readers here and on Rimas Facebook all make a small contribution to set up a scholarship fund for this school on Fiji.

MARITIME OFFERS NEW SEAFARER COURSE

Fijian seafarers would be introduced to a new course at the Fiji Maritime Academy (FMA) from next week.

The revitalisation of the FMA will take place next Monday March 9 with its grand launch and rebranding in a move that will have far reaching effects for Fijian seafarers.

Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama will unveil the new training institute at the Laucala Campus of the Fiji National University.

Seafarers would be introduced to a new course unit in social education to prepare them for interviews, how to meet the expectations of their employers and how to get on with their life at sea.

FMA chief executive officer Captain Suren Gurusinghe said the course was complemented with the creation of a disciplinary officer position.

“This country has produced some great seafarers over the years, but a general lack of discipline and a casual attitude have proven obstacles for Fijian seafarers being employed in the maritime industry,” Capt Gurusinghe said.

“We want to provide our students with an opportunity that will see them gain experience and stature across the globe, and if that means going back to the basics, then it’s certainly a step in the right direction.”

Spearheading the social education under the leadership of the CEO is Seema Agrawal, who is a senior training officer in the Department of Aviation and Travel at the National Training and Productivity Centre.

“We are living in a world where one has only fifteen seconds to make an impression” Mrs Agarwal said.

“Etiquette, manners and personal grooming are increasingly playing an important role to open right doors. The idea at our Makeover Course is to teach you rules and provide you with the equipment that will help you succeed.”

a FB friend sent me this:  8/3/2017 7:21pm his last message?

68415_107245382767703_706699869_n.jpg?oh

No response from fiji coast guard yet. My tilles broken no contrals for boat its dangerous current pushing unknoow strong gale was couple daays ago at night

safe_image.php?d=AQAvRPCnLKxGWa4w&w=160&

inreach.garmin.com

LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare
Comments
Peter Santerre
Peter  How did your tiller break?
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · August 3 at 7:26pm
Remove
Jim Furnish
Jim Furnish Good to see you checking in, Cap'n Rimas. This has been a remarkable voyage--one of your best
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· August 3 at 7:28pm
Remove
Michael Kennedy
Michael  Ummmm fix it?
ikeShow more reactions
Remove
Tom Ray
Tom This post is time-stamped from last Monday but just showed up here. Odd.
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· August 3 at 7:43pm
Remove
Sylvia Gonzalez
Sylvia  God Blessed You Always! My Friend...Take Caree!
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · August 3 at 7:59pm
Remove
Jean Mondeau
Jean Mondeau I checked and it is an old post. Had he turned the tracker on I would have pinged him and had his current location and sent the troops out to get him.
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· August 3 at 8:10pm · Edited
Remove
Scott Duncan
Scott Interesting that the message doesn't show up here. https://share.delorme.com/Rimas Meleshyus

share.delorme.com

LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · August 4 at 8:34am · Edited
Remove
Scott Duncan
Scott  Correction: the message shows up , but without a location ping.
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· August 4 at 8:36am · Edited
Remove
Edmond Fitzgerald
Edmond Fitzgerald It's the ghost of Rimas using the ghost of the Delorme to transmit to us from another dimension. There's a lot of bureaucratic red tape, but the messages eventually go through.
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· August 4 at 9:06am
Remove
Jack Hodges
Jack  Rimas drifted into the reef 8 miles NE of Rambi Island at 9:00pm on July 30th and perished.
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · August 4 at 5:41pm
Remove
Virginia Branco
Virginia  Has anyone heard any other news? Thank you to his friends for posting what they know. I am not a navigator... just met this kind person in Hilo. Was surprised he went south when he was originally headed to Alaska. Blessings to him!
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· August 7 at 1:25am
Remove
Elena Felicija Mačiulyte
Elena Felicija
Translated from Lithuanian
. Successes, youSee Original
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · August 7 at 3:28am
Remove
Theresa Farage
Theresa according to my ASI, he's moored at his last post.
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· August 7 at 6:14pm
Remove
John Floyd
17 hours ago, Parma said:

Rimas meleshyus = Rim Ass Me Luscious; no, that's not a joke name, is it?

Jean Mondeau = Je (I) and Mon (my) Deau or Dieu (God) = "me and my god"; no, that's not another joke name, is it! This is the same dude who has the codes to the Delorme tracker and can set it's Lat/long to whatever he wants and then send a ping.

But no, Rimas exists because jibsail1234, bluewater94 and saltygoat26 etc can all verify they met him.

If someone said Rimas got rescued by Awata Goosyam you would all believe it. 

its a hoax

Dude,

I met our hero. It's very much reality

1 minute ago, theadmiralty said:

RIP my man.

The people on here who donated should rest their heads in shame

Nobody forced him into it. 

30 minutes ago, mad said:

Nobody forced him into it. 

Anyone who provided or touched the boat to get him going did. They called his bluff and put him on the boat and got him towed to the netherworld whether he admitted it or not. 

1 hour ago, 6924 said:

Dude,

I met our hero. It's very much reality

Meeting our hero was just a part of the hoax: one of the original hoaxers simply met with you in order to lend greater credence to the entire charade.

Either that or you are an active participant in the entire farce.

Plus I know a guy named mizzen777 who told me that Rimas' alias is Jim Furnish, so there is a proof equal to your own.

2 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

All I have to say for now

Bon Voyage Rimas

L2SaZkT.png

Nice, but shouldn't the horns point inward

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Anyone who provided or touched the boat to get him going did. They called his bluff and put him on the boat and got him towed to the netherworld whether he admitted it or not. 

I don't believe he was a simple minded fool being led to slaughter

I believe his original mission which he rode till the end was to ride off into the sunset never to return. I think he recognized a diminished mental ability in himself and wished to go with dignity not end in some hospital or tenement wallowing in his own excrement unable to do anything for himself. 

His end was certainly a glorious one that will be remembered far longer than will be the few kind words spoken over our graves when we are up to bat. God speed Rimas! We are all gonna miss ya.

Now watch, now that's said he will show up at a starbucks  any day now and make me eat my words

9 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Nice, but shouldn't the horns point inward

Then horns came with the Ouiji board. I was dusting off my PS skills anyway and was pretty happy with the results. Lets sell T-Shirts for the Wake and I'll start making edits.

Really does need the Capts hat though.

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

No boat no tow, Rimas can't go to sea.

Hey were he's at there is no sea, starbucks, enablers, buttery tatters.......or anything else of this world.  He wont last long. If I was you I would not answer the door if someone knocks...chuckle...but the Rimas was not a violent type that requires work.

5 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Then horns came with the Ouiji board. I was dusting off my PS skills anyway and was pretty happy with the results. Lets sell T-Shirts for the Wake and I'll start making edits.

Really does need the Capts hat though.

anyway you did a nice job. thanks for posting your creation

1 hour ago, quack32 said:

I will wait.

60633.JPG.jpg

that's funny, brings back memories. never had one at the able like that but have had then sit at the  table after we turned in and open the ice chest devouring what they deemed edible more than once. That one was partial the porterhouse steaks still frozen and left the hamburger

2 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

If the old guy is truly gone he as least deserves a tip of the hat goodbye sort of thing. Hell, I might end up in the same boat someday!

I agree. He has had a grand send off one that will be remembered for years. Here's to ya Captain Rimas.  Youve earned that Captains cap you so proudly wear and old glory that protected you and that you loved so much.......................Ahhhhhhh  You respected old glory and deserve her protection not like the trash I see everyday that show no respect just want a US teat to suck while bad mouthing the hand that feeds them all the time demanding more.

He has my respect and I will pray for him. 

Rimas annoyed the fuck out of me for a whole lot of reasons I've listed.

But I'm still going to pour out some Kraken for him the next time I'm on my boat.  I'm glad that it appears he never got anyone hurt or killed rescuing or towing him and it was just money wasted.

Despite everything, I will miss that crazy Russian.

Dang, bfloyd!  Now I have to put the captain hat in the tribute Quijia board. He was quite the flag waver wasn't he? We can always use that and not in the Trump manner. 

sy5Lztj.png

Yes, that is a huge improvement. Captures the 1000 yard stare perfectly. And I need to do a bit of touch up on the insignia on the hat but I think we are getting close bflloyd.

Ole Furnish is twisting The Deserving up:

As the minutes turn to hours and the hours to days-the tension increases. Like twisting a rope it gets tighter and tighter. Thats what it's like for the Friends Of Rimas as they sweat it out waiting for a word...any word on just where is Rimas Meleshyus

LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare

Comments
Pete White
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· 5 hrs
Remove
Raul Eduardo Carnelli Cauci
Raul Eduardo Carnelli Cauci seguiremos apostando a la vida
mucha fuerza para Rimas Meleshyus We will continue betting on life
A lot of strength for Rimas
See Translation
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· 4 hrs · Edited
Remove
Anna Butler
Anna Butler Prayers and much love... 2764.png<3
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· 4 hrs
Remove
Mitch Gill
Mitch Gill Yes we all worry about him
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· 3 hrs
Remove
Jim Furnish
Jim Furnish Last I was aware Rimas' mother and father are still around in Socchi--he has a sister...cant recall if he said she was in USA or Finland-anyone know? They must be worried sick and scared too
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· 3 hrs
Remove
Nancy Pittard
Nancy Pittard One of those articles you posted I think mentioned a sister.
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· 2 hrs
Remove
Jim Furnish
Jim Furnish I wonder if she is on R's friends list? IIRC, she also messed around with boats
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · 2 hrs
Remove
Nancy Pittard
Nancy Pittard Do you have any clue as to a name. He sure has many beautiful Russian ladies as friends.
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · 1 hr
Remove
Jim Furnish
Jim Furnish Nope, he shows photos of the fam back home and mentions names but the names go right by me,.,I think he posted some pics of his parents here on his page.
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · 1 hr
Remove
Nancy Pittard
Nancy Pittard Ok. Maybe we can find them.
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · 1 hr
14 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Dang, bfloyd!  Now I have to put the captain hat in the tribute Quijia board. He was quite the flag waver wasn't he? We can always use that and not in the Trump manner. 

sy5Lztj.png

Yes, that is a huge improvement. Captures the 1000 yard stare perfectly. And I need to do a bit of touch up on the insignia on the hat but I think we are getting close bflloyd.

your on a role! Need a bit more of the cap or at least even out the top so it dosen';t look clipped

5 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

When the T-Shirt orders start rolling in, I'll get right on that hat edit.

Next you will be wanting me to mirror the horns like you mentioned before!

Naw, how about a Rimas look alike contest or a wet T shirt contest. I'll bet t shirts would sell well among the Latvia community

5 minutes ago, Moderate said:

If you look back a bit , youll see the wind at his last ping.

The fuckin cockroach could have slept thru the minefield

I maintain hes alive 

I'd like to think he will. Without first hand knowledge of the currents  at the reef during the change of tides one cant really make an accurate assessment of his position and survival or not.

He's kicked back with Jim ad Jean someplace plotting the next caper is my guess

5 hours ago, theadmiralty said:

RIP my man.

The people on here who donated should rest their heads in shame

...I hate to think he was wearing the life harness I insisted my donation funded... woulda sucked him down if the boat got gnarled on a reef  :unsure:

4 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

You ready for this?

How about some copy, "At Rimas Firm, you can rest assured that there is a firm hand at the Helm!"

hCBUACq.png

See I told you guys! He aint daed he just moved up in the world.  At Rimas Firm, you can rest assured that there is a firm hand at the Helm!" That's funny but well said. A firm hand at the helm even if there is no helm.  chuckle......

Good job!

2 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

...I hate to think he was wearing the life harness I insisted my donation funded... woulda sucked him down if the boat got gnarled on a reef  :unsure:

not a good thought. He was likely below and not wearing it. Seems to me that would be the place to be rather than be slammed between the vessel and the reef. But it would have been a fast end slashed t bits by the coral. Grim.....

5 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

not a good thought. He was likely below and not wearing it. Seems to me that would be the place to be rather than be slammed between the vessel and the reef. But it would have been a fast end slashed t bits by the coral. Grim.....

The boat was likely tumbled in the breakers. He likely wasn't aware until the last second. If below, there was stuff flying around the cabin that probably injured him. If on deck, he went overboard and was dragged through water by harness. The hatch was probably open, boat took on a lot of water, a few following waves probably sent it down, Rimas still clipped on. I think the wreck is on bottom of the 'lagoon' that's on leeward side of reef...Rimas's body floating around on end of feather like a piece of bait. It was all over in a minute, minute and a half.

25 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Thanks to you they don't need one they have the Rimas!

Wind off the stern quarter. Dark night with only a faint line where the reef is. No sound of breaking waves to wake him from a deep sleep just a gentle crunch abeam below the waterline. No chance of sailing off. No electric bilge pump to buy him time. No motor to reverse off. Second crunch, different spot. Now 2 water spots to contend with. Too weak to bail. No lights to see. Nobody there to save him this time. Lays back in his bunk and feels the cold black water rising over him. Thinks, damn, it's their fault.they knew better and put me here. Curse you Jean. The end. Boat slips off the reef into the cold dark world BELOW. Crab food. 

25 minutes ago, RKoch said:

The boat was likely tumbled in the breakers. He likely wasn't aware until the last second. If below, there was stuff flying around the cabin that probably injured him. If on deck, he went overboard and was dragged through water by harness. The hatch was probably open, boat took on a lot of water, a few following waves probably sent it down, Rimas still clipped on. I think the wreck is on bottom of the 'lagoon' that's on leeward side of reef...Rimas's body floating around on end of feather like a piece of bait. It was all over in a minute, minute and a half.

I think you are on point here.  But I suspect it took a bit longer to get across the reef.   I feel bad for him.  I don't think he had a death wish. I'm glad I got to meet him.   

48 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

That harness is probably still in Am Samoa on Pier Pressure. No way he carried much gear back on the plane. That would have been too much like preparation.

10 minutes ago, Donovan said:

I think you are on point here.  But I suspect it took a bit longer to get across the reef.   I feel bad for him.  I don't think he had a death wish. I'm glad I got to meet him.   

If the tide was up, it may not have touched the reef except for the mast being taken out. Two or three breakers did the job. No drop boards in, boat sitting low in water, cockpit flooding into interior. Rimas unable to cope, probably in shock, didn't even have time to undo the rats nest holding the life ring prop on. 

I think the flotsam will be washed up on that NE  peninsula sticking out from Vanua Levu.  Propane bottles, bits of woodwork from interior, etc.

Agreed he didn't have a death wish. But he was ignorant of what the sea could throw at him, and overconfident of his ability to deal with it.

Come to think of it,  I don't even think the life ring made it off Pier Pressure? Can't remember seeing it bungeed to the lifelines of Mimsy. Kinda envisioned someone finding it washed up on a distant shore months/years from now making us speculate whether he made to shore and was still alive like Amelia Earhardt, Elvis or Hitler.

An empty jug of Kirkland Maraschino Cherries on the beach won't have the same impact. 

IIRC someone in Pagopago shipped a bunch of his shit to him. I recall the lifering being on Mimsy, but it could have been another one grifted from West. I assume he would have brought his foul weather gear, sailor costumes, and inflatable life jacket with him. I doubt he ever renewed the CO2 cartridge.

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

....ohhhh,,,shit.   Fifty bucks ,,, four years ago.    I didn't know.  :(

1 hour ago, Dex Sawash said:

That harness is probably still in Am Samoa on Pier Pressure. No way he carried much gear back on the plane. That would have been too much like preparation.

Dunno what to hope for,, who knows what happened,,, **     ....maybe it would have saved him.

........**.....or IF he's met his end.

5 hours ago, Moderate said:

He aint dead.

Ill bet my hookers that he was blown out to the North

Oh sure, you win the hookers, disappear for days, and NOW you want to give them back?

5 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Tom, time to get ready for those buttery ashes you have so yearned for.

If you look back a bit, you'll see I'm already researching recipes.

Who Killed Davey Moore?

Who killed Davey Moore,
Why an' what's the reason for?
"Not I, " says the referee,
"Don't point your finger at me.
I could've stopped it in the eighth
An' maybe kept him from his fate,
But the crowd would've booed, I'm sure,
At not gettin' their money's worth.
It's too bad he had to go,
But there was a pressure on me too, you know.
It wasn't me that made him fall.
No, you can't blame me at all."
Who killed Davey Moore,
"Not us, " says the angry crowd,
Whose screams filled the arena loud.
"It's too bad he died that night
But we just like to see a fight.
We didn't mean for him t' meet his death,
We just meant to see some sweat,
There ain't nothing wrong in that.
It wasn't us that made him fall.
No, you can't blame us at all."
Who killed Davey Moore,
"Not me, " says his manager,
Puffing on a big cigar.
"It's hard to say, it's hard to tell,
I always thought that he was well.
It's too bad for his wife an' kids he's dead, 
But if he was sick, he should've said.
Who killed Davey Moore,
"Not me, " says the gambling man,
With his ticket stub still in his hand.
"It wasn't me that knocked him down,
My hands never touched him none.
I didn't commit no ugly sin,
Anyway, I put money on him to win.
Who killed Davey Moore,
"Not me, " says the boxing writer,
Pounding print on his old typewriter,
Sayin', "Boxing ain't to blame,
There's just as much danger in a football game."
Sayin', "Fist fighting is here to stay,
It's just the old American way.
Who killed Davey Moore,
"Not me, " says the man whose fists
Laid him low in a cloud of mist,
Who came here from Cuba's door
Where boxing ain't allowed no more.
"I hit him, yes, it's true,
But that's what I am paid to do.
Don't say 'murder, ' don't say 'kill.'
It was destiny, it was God's will."
Who killed Davey Moore,

7 hours ago, RKoch said:

IIRC someone in Pagopago shipped a bunch of his shit to him. I recall the lifering being on Mimsy, but it could have been another one grifted from West. I assume he would have brought his foul weather gear, sailor costumes, and inflatable life jacket with him. I doubt he ever renewed the CO2 cartridge.

To be fair, I pulled out 3 "retired" inflatable (pre USCG cert variety) from storage in an unheated shed.  Best I can determine, the cartridges and bobbins were more than 10 years old.  Strapped them on some 20 somethings and pushed them into a pool.  All inflated and held air.  Slowest one let the wearer sink fully underwater (about 3 seconds).  The other 2 were immediate inflation.   All 3 held air for a full 24 hours.   

There are "real world" life cycles and "what the manufacturer wants to sell you $40 kits annually to do" life cycles. 

Hopefully Bfloyd will give this thread a break when he wakes up today at some point.

BFLOYD, GIVE IT A BREAK ALREADY! YOU ARE KILLING US WITH NOTHING!!

There. I said it and I'm glad. I even yelled it out which is not uncommon for me

"Do you think," he asks, "that Captain Nemo survived the whirlpool?"

"No," she says. "Yes. I don't know. I suppose that is the point, no? To make us wonder?" She cocks her head. "He was a madman. And yet I didn't want him to die."

10 hours ago, RKoch said:

I think if you take measurements of that reef, youll see it is quite wide. Depending on the sea state it could take quit a while to be washed over that. Also likely, the boat would be pulvarized before crossing the reef halfway. 

I am surprised by the lack of any report of flotsam during the early stages of the search.

Shouldn't there have been some trash or cushions floating in the vicinity?

4 hours ago, Captain Bligh said:

I think if you take measurements of that reef, youll see it is quite wide. Depending on the sea state it could take quit a while to be washed over that. Also likely, the boat would be pulvarized before crossing the reef halfway. 

That's what has me puzzled.

If it is quite wide as you say, after the initial break on the reef, the waves will have dissipated most of their energy.  So if Mimsy did hit the reef, she would get pushed or rolled in a ways.   She would quickly become holed so she can no longer float so she quickly becomes a 15,000 lb lump facing greatly de-energized waves.  I would expect her to be lodged in the middle of the reef somewhere rather than pushed over into the lagoon area.

Edit:  In simpler terms, after the initial break,  the reef would act almost like a breakwater.   But that is just a guess.

Since there has been no sighting of Mimsy, I believe it possible that she did not hit it.

5 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

That's what has me puzzled.

If it is quite wide as you say, after the initial break on the reef, the waves will have dissipated most of their energy.  So if Mimsy did hit the reef, she would get pushed or rolled in a ways.   She would quickly become holed so she can no longer float so she quickly becomes a 15,000 lb lump facing greatly de-energized waves.  I would expect her to be lodged in the middle of the reef somewhere rather than pushed over into the lagoon area.

Since there has been no sighting of Mimsy, I believe it possible that she did not hit it.

A few things. At high tide there's several feet of water over the reef, so it's possible breakers washed it across. Companionway (offset!!!) goes down nearly to cockpit sole. Rimas probably not aware of reef, didn't have drop boards in. Never would occur to him.  Only need a couple feet of water inside boat to put cockpit sole below waterline. Scuppers would backfill into cockpit and down companionway, along with additional water washing over side into cockpit. Even if the boat remained afloat after washing over reef, it wouldn't for long...impossible to bail.

while it's certainly possible Rimas did an about face and escaped out to sea to the north, I think it's a low probability. He never mentioned the reef in his last messages, and possibly didn't know it was there. Don't know if he had control over direction, given broken tiller. And we've not seen him previously demonstrate that level of competence and decisiveness. Kon-Tiki style sailing had a Kon-Tiki ending. Karma.

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

A few things. At high tide there's several feet of water over the reef, so it's possible breakers washed it across. Companionway (offset!!!) goes down nearly to cockpit sole. Rimas probably not aware of reef, didn't have drop boards in. Never would occur to him.  Only need a couple feet of water inside boat to put cockpit sole below waterline. Scuppers would backfill into cockpit and down companionway, along with additional water washing over side into cockpit. Even if the boat remained afloat after washing over reef, it wouldn't for long...impossible to bail.

while it's certainly possible Rimas did an about face and escaped out to sea to the north, I think it's a low probability. He never mentioned the reef in his last messages, and possibly didn't know it was there. Don't know if he had control over direction, given broken tiller. And we've not seen him previously demonstrate that level of competence and decisiveness. Kon-Tiki style sailing had a Kon-Tiki ending. Karma.

While I agree,  my scenario was based on Mimsy being quickly holed and/or flooded after hitting the reef.

If she was still somehow floating, then it would be much easier for Mimsy to be dragged over the reef into the lagoon.  But if that were the case, then likely he could have continued on - unless she was holed right before entering the lagoon or was slowly sinking prior, IDK.

13 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Con-Karma-Tiki?

A few things to consider:

1. I believe the guy on FB (who first announced Rimas' "demise")  mentioned 4 fairly quick pings from Rimas, which I took to mean that Rimas was concerned about something at that point.

2. I think there is some information asymmetry.  We were privy to very little information.  I would have to think Rimas was in contact with Jean somehow other than through regular channels.  On his previous adventures there was also that alleged router based in the UK or something like that who was feeding Rimas instructions.  Going back to Point 1, I believe Rimas was not oblivious to this reef.

3.  Again, I find it entirely in character for Rimas to have pulled the broken tiller plea from his Rolodex of "emergencies"

16 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

While I agree,  my scenario was based on Mimsy being quickly holed and/or flooded after hitting the reef.

If she was still somehow floating, then it would be much easier for Mimsy to be dragged over the reef into the lagoon.  But if that were the case, then likely he could have continued on - unless she was holed right before entering the lagoon or was slowly sinking prior, IDK.

Unless the wreck is discovered, we won't know exactly what happened. A Rawson hull is extremely thick, solid glass. It could possibly survive an initial reef impact. I'm just posing a possible scenerio of the boat sinking without major hull damage. If the boat was caught in breakers and tumbled, the mast was probably taken out by jamming into the reef during the roll-over. Possibly windows blown out (though much more water would flood through the open companionway), and probably some major structural damage. It could float long enough to be washed across the reef. But likely in such a condition that Rimas couldn't stop water from cockpit flooding into cabin...there wouldn't necessarily have to be water ingress by a hole in the hull.

1 minute ago, 12 metre said:

A few things to consider:

1. I believe the guy on FB (who first announced Rimas' "demise")  mentioned 4 fairly quick pings from Rimas, which I took to mean that Rimas was concerned about something at that point.

2. I think there is some information asymmetry.  We were privy to very little information.  I would have to think Rimas was in contact with Jean somehow other than through regular channels.  On his previous adventures there was also that alleged router based in the UK or something like that who was feeding Rimas instructions.  Going back to Point 1, I believe Rimas was not oblivious to this reef.

3.  Again, I find it entirely in character for Rimas to have pulled the broken tiller plea from his Rolodex of "emergencies"

I think Jack was referring to the last 4 messages, which occurred over a 2 or 3 hour span. this appears to have been several hours before he possibly hit the reef.

I don't think Jack had any information we don't have, which is admittedly little. IDK what private  messages may have been exchanged between Rimas and Jean or others.

I agree we don't know full extent of 'broken tiller' or 'damaged sails'. Rimas certainly did have a track record of embellishment. 

What we do know is that if there was a possible hazard in his path, like Donut Island or the previous one a couple hundred miles before Samoa, Rimas went on endlessly about it. In his last four messages, not a word about Texas Reef, only Noboutini. I suspect he didn't know the reef was there.

13 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Unless the wreck is discovered, we won't know exactly what happened. A Rawson hull is extremely thick, solid glass. It could possibly survive an initial reef impact. I'm just posing a possible scenerio of the boat sinking without major hull damage. If the boat was caught in breakers and tumbled, the mast was probably taken out by jamming into the reef during the roll-over. Possibly windows blown out (though much more water would flood through the open companionway), and probably some major structural damage. It could float long enough to be washed across the reef. But likely in such a condition that Rimas couldn't stop water from cockpit flooding into cabin...there wouldn't necessarily have to be water ingress by a hole in the hull.

the hull may be thick,, but how are the keel attachments after all these years of non-maintenance.

...too many variables,,, speculate ON! 

2 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

the hull may be thick,, but how are the keel attachments after all these years of non-maintenance.

...too many variables,,, speculate ON! 

Don't worry about the keel - it will be held on by a flock of barnacles, all holding hands.