Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

28 minutes ago, Donovan said:

Rimas really has become Schrödinger's cat as was described by someone else many posts ago.  He is currently both alive and dead and will remain that way until observed.  

We need something like this web site, which would save us posting here:

http://www.abevigoda.com/

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

3 hours ago, 12 metre said:

For those who may be interested, here is some info on the Rawson; http://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/rawson-pilothouse-30-boat-all-seasons 

Keel is the old standby for older full keel boats:  poured concrete and boiler punchings.

The one talked about in this article is the pilothouse model. Rimas's was the original without the pilothouse. Also notice the bowsprit. Original Rawson 30s did not have a bowsprit and developed heavy weatherhelm.

13 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Well, if everyone just shut the fuck up anyone concerned could just Follow the thread and when solid news arrives we will be notified.

Fat chance.

For the above reasons stated by Ish, I was hesitant to make this reply, but I agree.

I will now shut the fuck up.

Oh for god sake. Other than the witty speculation you guys post that keeps me entertained during my morning coffee, I'm pretty certain that our glorious aground the world non stop world record setting crazy as bat shit cockroach admiral Rimas is as toast as toast can be. Like every good Admiral, he went down with his ship.

Quit for shit sake speculating about Navigating a true course. These things have no bearing (scuze the pun) on a crazy man who floats aimlessly on the waves. If you gave him the keys to your car, Rimas couldn't "steer" his way into a Starbucks drive through with a $50 gift card in his hand  

It is what it is: Crazy old man sets out on a feckless voyage and ends up getting served his dues. Bottom line. Period.

Its no one else's fault for not stopping him; he refused to be stopped. 

It's no one else's fault for not warning him; he refused to heed warning. 

It's no one else's fault for not educating him on the dangers of the ocean; he refused to be educated.

It's no one else's fault for not teaching him to sail; (see above statement)

We all knew it was coming, just a matter of time. That's why we all follow this thread. Like watching the proverbial train wreck when you already know there's a school bus stranded on the tracks and you warned the conductor and the bus driver, and neither one gives a

f---.  So for all you d-bags here, and on farcebook who whine about this, that, and the other, and for some reason think it's our responsibility to save some stupid shit from his own predestined demise I say this:

MAN THE FUCK UP!!

3 minutes ago, thereefgeek said:

Oh for god sake. Other than the witty speculation you guys post that keeps me entertained during my morning coffee, I'm pretty certain that our glorious aground the world non stop world record setting crazy as bat shit cockroach admiral Rimas is as toast as toast can be. Like every good Admiral, he went down with his ship.

Quit for shit sake speculating about Navigating a true course. These things have no bearing (scuze the pun) on a crazy man who floats aimlessly on the waves. If you gave him the keys to your car, Rimas couldn't "steer" his way into a Starbucks drive through with a $50 gift card in his hand  

It is what it is: Crazy old man sets out on a feckless voyage and ends up getting served his dues. Bottom line. Period.

Its no one else's fault for not stopping him; he refused to be stopped. 

It's no one else's fault for not warning him; he refused to heed warning. 

It's no one else's fault for not educating him on the dangers of the ocean; he refused to be educated.

It's no one else's fault for not teaching him to sail; (see above statement)

We all knew it was coming, just a matter of time. That's why we all follow this thread. Like watching the proverbial train wreck when you already know there's a school bus stranded on the tracks and you warned the conductor and the bus driver, and neither one gives a

f---.  So for all you d-bags here, and on farcebook who whine about this, that, and the other, and for some reason think it's our responsibility to save some stupid shit from his own predestined demise I say this:

MAN THE FUCK UP!!

I totally agree. But i do think it irresponsible to send him money and boats. Its like plunging the needle for a heroin addict.

Just now, Captain Bligh said:

I totally agree. But i do think it irresponsible to send him money and boats. Its like plunging the needle for a heroin addict.

I agree. 

Like I said, don't give Rimas your car keys and a Starbucks gift card. 

Or a sailboat, a Delorme, and a Costco sized flat of olives......

1 minute ago, I_Met_Rimas said:

I agree, we should all stop posting here to keep clutter down to a minimum. This will be my last post. On an unrelated note, I've been inspired to learn to sail recently, where could I pick up a few quick pointers?

Here we go again.

3 minutes ago, I_Met_Rimas said:

I agree, we should all stop posting here to keep clutter down to a minimum. This will be my last post. On an unrelated note, I've been inspired to learn to sail recently, where could I pick up a few quick pointers?

First pointer is show us some (nice) tits. Second is this is not the how to sail thread.

Grifting Rolodex, that was good...:lol:

He sailed in there and he sailed out of there by the gps and Divine grifting...  Too stubborn a mule to expect otherwise of him. Plenty of food lodged behind the Rolodex...

The Delorme charger jack died..

Rimas pinballs to the next country, like he did in stealth mode leg one. He has a few more free games left.

Alaska is code for San Fran.

Cape Horn is code for Am. Samoa

Australia is code for....Alaska...

il_340x270.591156508_bk62.jpg

44 minutes ago, I_Met_Rimas said:

There's an old guy that hangs  out on Texas reef that would be happy to learn you sailin.......chuckle...he is an interpreter and teached me english

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Second is this is not the how to sail thread.

Technically, this is the 'how not to sail thread'.

1 minute ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Hey he has gone missing before and then showed up a month later in Hawaii. 

Exactly.  It's like that scene from Apollo 13 where during reentry they lose comms, supposedly for three minutes, but after three minutes, nothing.  They didn't gain communications again until four minutes.  During that one minute stretch, everyone thought they were quite literally toast.  Rimas is just between his 3rd and 4th minute.  Failure is not an option.

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Exactly.  It's like that scene from Apollo 13 where during reentry they lose comms, supposedly for three minutes, but after three minutes, nothing.  They didn't gain communications again until four minutes.  During that one minute stretch, everyone thought they were quite literally toast.  Rimas is just between his 3rd and 4th minute.  Failure is not an option.

yep.  I'm still bugged by the fact there is no sign of  Mimsy.

10 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Failure is Rimas's mode d'etre.

1 hour ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Hey he has gone missing before and then showed up a month later in Hawaii. 

I'm with you, part of me says he is shark shit, part says he will show up like he always seems to.  He didn't earn the aquatic cockroach badge for nothing.  After a few more weeks of no contact I'll hoist one in honor of our hero.

Cap'n Rima's this is Captain Poseidon.  Rimas calls heads.  It's tails.  Cap'n Rimas will go out in a unsafe vessel with no skills or awareness.  Poseidon will relentlessly unleash the powers of the seas.  Good luck!

ps - how long can you tread water?

On 10/08/2017 at 0:29 PM, bfloyd4445 said:

Thanks to you they don't need one they have the Rimas!

Wind off the stern quarter. Dark night with only a faint line where the reef is. No sound of breaking waves to wake him from a deep sleep just a gentle crunch abeam below the waterline. No chance of sailing off. No electric bilge pump to buy him time. No motor to reverse off. Second crunch, different spot. Now 2 water spots to contend with. Too weak to bail. No lights to see. Nobody there to save him this time. Lays back in his bunk and feels the cold black water rising over him. Thinks, damn, it's their fault.they knew better and put me here. Curse you Jean. The end. Boat slips off the reef into the cold dark world BELOW. Crab food. 

Rimas disc

16 minutes ago, Oronoco said:

Cap'n Rima's this is Captain Poseidon.  Rimas calls heads.  It's tails.  Cap'n Rimas will go out in a unsafe vessel with no skills or awareness.  Poseidon will relentlessly unleash the powers of the seas.  Good luck!

ps - how long can you tread water?

His mistake was to be a provacateur Russian American exercising freedom of navigation, thinking in Japanese and talking in gibberish code within nuking range of uncle Kim aka Sillius Soddus. 

15 hours ago, thereefgeek said:

Honestly, I hope he made it and continues onward around the globe (but I seriously doubt it based on his state of mental competency) . 

Im getting bored with the origami boat thread....

We'll try to spice it up a little for you on the origami thread until we hear from the Rim

36 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

It really fits, don't it?

anthony_hopkins_as_rimas_368px.jpg

He is too cerebral for the part. Maybe keanue reeves. Or one of those guys from dumb and dumber.

18 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

a modest proposal

clean.jpg

That being to set Clean (I assume that is the pictured proposed victim) adrift in a Craigslist 4ksb and see how the kontiki gods smile on him?

For the movie I'm more in the Anthony Hopkins camp. Although the recent suggestion of Benigni has potential...

16 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

Technically, this is the 'how not to sail thread'.

This is the perfect.

On other news, it's funny how some people are saying, "gee, how sad." And it is sad. But having read a good chunk of this thread (or at least parts throughout), I can also say with certainty that Rimas' demise is alot like my uncle eventually getting a DUI. By the end he was cruising for it so hard that it was like he wanted it, and I'm mostly just relieved he didn't hurt anybody else in the process.

If anything, the fact that he acted so foolishly so many times and lived, while so many good, smart people who genuinely want to stay alive die every day through sheer bad luck, is a reminder of how cruel the world can be.

I won't say good riddance, but Rimas, you finally got what you spent so long asking for.

21 hours ago, Blitz said:

I'm with you, part of me says he is shark shit, part says he will show up like he always seems to.  He didn't earn the aquatic cockroach badge for nothing.  After a few more weeks of no contact I'll hoist one in honor of our hero.

yep I'll have one with you but lets let the smoke clear before we claim its a kill.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:02 AM, Sail4beer said:

Hopefully Bfloyd will give this thread a break when he wakes up today at some point.

BFLOYD, GIVE IT A BREAK ALREADY! YOU ARE KILLING US WITH NOTHING!!

There. I said it and I'm glad. I even yelled it out which is not uncommon for me

And you think your inane statement was something?

1 hour ago, ModernViking said:

I wanna play the harbourmaster of Monterey.
He seems to be the only one in this shitshow that didn't put up with Rimas grifting for months on end.

-_-

How about the Russian mobsters or mechanics or whatever they were? I think there were three of them. In the movie, at least one should be female and smokin' hot in a Slavik way.

6 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

How about the Russian mobsters or mechanics or whatever they were? I think there were three of them. In the movie, at least one should be female and smokin' hot in a Slavik way.

Maybe so...
Anyways I just heard that the harbourmaster role is no longer vacant...

clint.png.3178be3990fcb77d685a4b5b1d1d347d.png

47 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I nominate Tom to be Jim Furnish. 

I was hoping for Russian mobster with hot love interest but that's an upgrade from playing myself. That's not acting.

In the climactic scene, someone has to choke on buttery ashes. I was hoping to be back at my trailer with the model by then.

6 hours ago, ModernViking said:

Maybe so...
Anyways I just heard that the harbourmaster role is no longer vacant...

Awww.... I wanted to play the Harbormaster.  I envision the scene where I buck my management by towing him out.  I explain to Rimas that I make my own rules and have "my own brand of justice", just before I kick his extension ladder down. Then I take a long draw from my cigar, exhale, and tell him through the smoke, "Batten down the hatches, motherfucker.  You're going for a ride." 

The next day the boss chews my ass about it, telling me I'm a renegade just like my old man was.  That I was never the same after my partner's death that insist on blaming myself for and was the main reason for my drinking problem and intolerance for Russians. 

Then I throw my badge down on his desk.  (I have not worked out the rest of that scene yet.)

1 minute ago, benwynn said:

Awww.... I wanted to play the Harbormaster.  I envision the scene where I buck my management by towing him out.  I explain to Rimas that I make my own rules and have "my own brand of justice", just before I kick his extension ladder down. Then I take a long draw from my cigar, exhale, and tell him through the smoke, "Batten down the hatches, motherfucker.  You're going for a ride." 

The next day the boss chews my ass about it, telling me I'm a renegade just like my old man was.  That I was never the same after my partner's death that insist on blaming myself for and was the main reason for my drinking problem and intolerance for Russians. 

Then I throw my badge down on his desk.  (I have not worked out the rest of that scene yet.)

:lol:
You deserve that role!
Mr. Eastwood, please step aside

Jean will be a pivotal role. Maybe the film would be told from his pov. Maybe ewan mcgregor or ?

21 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

Jean will be a pivotal role. Maybe the film would be told from his pov. Maybe ewan mcgregor or ?

I nominate Richard Dean Anderson, former Macgyver, as the actor for Jean.

The right temperament, casting is close, ability to put shit together, fixing up Rimas's fouls, gosh darn charity. Recent photo.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/919616762415ea4ccaddccfff3f423da

Thread Drift with Topical Reading.

Something to add to the Rimas' waiting room online library.

Another Great Adventure in the same Pacific theme, the manuscript is from the University of BC.

The Endeavor, with a page by page viewer of the original writing, or a text file to read.

Journal of a voyage to the South Seas, in his Majesty's ship, the Endeavour - UBC Library Open Collections

From a woman's perspective, this is another in the UBC collection.

I quote.

"

Manuscript (handwritten) journal of Susannah (Hack) Weynton during her voyage on board the Hudson's Bay Company supply ship Cowlitz (captained by her husband Alexander John Weynton), travelling from London to the Pacific Northwest via Cape Horn and Hawaii, and back to London again. The account dates from August 4, 1849 to March 22, 1851. It contains observations on weather encountered, places visited, and people met, including members of British Columbia's First Nations communities and Governor James Douglas and his family, and contains headings (written vertically) in the margins to guide the reader to specific sections of the account. The account ends before the ship reaches port in England (April 26, 1851) as the writer gives birth on board the ship. The account is followed by the partial journal of Susannah's sister Clarissa Hack, during a voyage on board the ship Mary Ann, travelling from London to Sydney, Australia, in the company of Susannah, Captain Weynton and their child. Clarissa's journal pages date from March 8, 1852 to June 21, 1852, whereas the ship arrived in Sydney on July 9, 1852. Also included in the volume is a handwritten prayer, unsigned but presumably transcribed by one of the two sisters.

"

Journal of a voyage to the Pacific and American shores - UBC Library Open Collections

8 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

One of the many advantages of a v lightly moderated forum such as SA is that it provides a chance to see who would make fun of a man's death.

Answer: more people than I would have hoped

I agree somewhat... I blame peer group pressure and the very real fact that we just don't know.

His enablers actually think he may still be alive.

4 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I originally had nominated Sir Anthony Perkins for the RImas role,

I'm gonna fight you on this one, Rasputin.

I have to find my original post on this thread and make a screenshot of it which includes the time-stamp. You do the same.

Loser buys the drinks at The Brown.

Why won't you talk to me
You never talk to me
What are you thinking
What are you feeling
Why won't you talk to me
You never talk to me
What are you thinking 
Where do we go from here

It doesn't have to be like this
All we need to do is make sure we keep talking

3 minutes ago, Trickypig said:
13 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

One of the many advantages of a v lightly moderated forum such as SA is that it provides a chance to see who would make fun of a man's death.

Answer: more people than I would have hoped

I agree somewhat... I blame peer group pressure and the very real fact that we just don't know.

Lord of the Flies with an adult cast, eh?

2 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Lord of the Flies with an adult cast, eh?

No less absurd than Rimas and his cast of enablers.

We may be satirizing their actions but Rimas and his enablers were there doing it.

Theirs is a weird modern equivalent of killing the pig with their dreams.