Jump to content

Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • RKoch

    2725

  • bfloyd4445

    1847

  • couchsurfer

    1533

  • Excoded Tom

    958

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

Jean Mondeau We're working on a leed that he was seen on the big island of Lautoka near the McDonalds. If anyone has friends there we need someone to scope it out and see if that was really Rimas. Rimas loved McDonalds and his leed is promising.

Lautoka is a town on the main island at the opposite end of Fiji to his last contact.

Surely after almost 7 weeks in Fiji, Rimas would have contacted someone.

I call bullshit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Lautoka is a town on the main island at the opposite end of Fiji to his last contact.

Surely after almost 7 weeks in Fiji, Rimas would have contacted someone.

I call bullshit.

Probably. It may be worth noting that i thought he was dead (for sure dead) at least twice before this time. I'm now in the Schrodinger cat camp.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

Probably. It may be worth noting that i thought he was dead at least twice before this time. I'm now in the Schrodinger cat camp.

I'm not absolutely, categorically, unreservedly convinced of his demise but, fuck, it's a long shot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn.

i just finished prepping the boat, installed the coops and the vege patch in the liferaft locker.

I need Rimas to be marooned on a reef clinging to his captains hat with the tide threatening to engulf him at any minute, no way will Nat Geo or Discovery fund this if we rescue him from a dodgy cheeseburger from McDonald's in a heavily populated town. 

Curses! What do I do with the blimp? We just had it signwritten with Jeans Visa card number, I was going to tow it around all the islands like the signal used for Batman ....grrr.

Ungrateful sod. I've got dirt under my fingernails now, very unsightly closeups of me gripping the wheel in the promo shots. Should've gone the Canadian harp seals route, at least they're warm willing companions after the rescue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he is conceivably alive, we could hire someone to kidnap him and shove him off in another boat, this time with our Delorme. Get him fattened up first, of course. Load him up with buttery spuds and gallon jars of cocktail sausages and a can of Spam, Bob's yer uncle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Damn.

i just finished prepping the boat, installed the coops and the vege patch in the liferaft locker.

I need Rimas to be marooned on a reef clinging to his captains hat with the tide threatening to engulf him at any minute, no way will Nat Geo or Discovery fund this if we rescue him from a dodgy cheeseburger from McDonald's in a heavily populated town. 

Curses! What do I do with the blimp? We just had it signwritten with Jeans Visa card number, I was going to tow it around all the islands like the signal used for Batman ....grrr.

Ungrateful sod. I've got dirt under my fingernails now, very unsightly closeups of me gripping the wheel in the promo shots. Should've gone the Canadian harp seals route, at least they're warm willing companions after the rescue.

Dammit, you just missed Musket Cove race week.

Rimas could have called tactics. Nat Geo or Discovery could then cover another shipwreck, at least.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Damn.

i just finished prepping the boat, installed the coops and the vege patch in the liferaft locker.

I need Rimas to be marooned on a reef clinging to his captains hat with the tide threatening to engulf him at any minute, no way will Nat Geo or Discovery fund this if we rescue him from a dodgy cheeseburger from McDonald's in a heavily populated town. 

Curses! What do I do with the blimp? We just had it signwritten with Jeans Visa card number, I was going to tow it around all the islands like the signal used for Batman ....grrr.

Ungrateful sod. I've got dirt under my fingernails now, very unsightly closeups of me gripping the wheel in the promo shots. Should've gone the Canadian harp seals route, at least they're warm willing companions after the rescue.

did you say porno shots? Makes more sense than the driubble

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fixed it:

Rimas Loved McDonalds - a poem by Jean Rondeau  

We're working on a leed 

that he was seen on the big island of Lautoka 

near the McDonalds. 

Rimas loved McDonalds 

If anyone has friends there we need

someone to scope it out and see

if that was really Rimas near the McDonalds. 

It is promising, this leed. 

Rimas loved McDonalds

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Damn.

i just finished prepping the boat, installed the coops and the vege patch in the liferaft locker.

I need Rimas to be marooned on a reef clinging to his captains hat with the tide threatening to engulf him at any minute, no way will Nat Geo or Discovery fund this if we rescue him from a dodgy cheeseburger from McDonald's in a heavily populated town

Curses! What do I do with the blimp? We just had it signwritten with Jeans Visa card number, I was going to tow it around all the islands like the signal used for Batman ....grrr.

Ungrateful sod. I've got dirt under my fingernails now, very unsightly closeups of me gripping the wheel in the promo shots. Should've gone the Canadian harp seals route, at least they're warm willing companions after the rescue.

You would be saving him from diabetes and tooth decay...:mellow: CBC would fund it!

mcdiabetes-d-1000x1000.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

Jean, if you're reading this, you're a fucking moron.

Perhaps Jean collects Rimas' SS checks every month. If he is dead, the money stops, so promote the myth. Next stop Japan, then Alaska, the Cape Horn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

If he is conceivably alive, we could hire someone to kidnap him and shove him off in another boat, this time with our Delorme. Get him fattened up first, of course. Load him up with buttery spuds and gallon jars of cocktail sausages and a can of Spam, Bob's yer uncle.

Be sure to use lots of butter in fattening him up.

No particular reason...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

my messenger is showing Rimas online

 
 
LikeShow more reactions
Comment

Well, well, well. 

Has somebody (hint: not Rimas) been Crowhursting all along here?

 

Is there anyone who got 'hoax' in the pool? I sure remember a few posters mentioning it as a possibility

 

Granted, my money would still be on a close encounter with Texas Reef, but still...

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Varan said:

Perhaps Jean collects Rimas' SS checks every month. If he is dead, the money stops, so promote the myth. Next stop Japan, then Alaska, the Cape Horn.

Dorthea Peuente had the same scam going for many years so why not the enablers with Remas? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothea_Puente

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

my messenger is showing Rimas online

 
 
LikeShow more reactions
Comment

At least one of Rimas' enablers have always been able to log in to his Facebook account, so this means nothing. People who dissed Rimas have routinely been unfriended from his page and comments deleted even during earlier voyages drifts when he had no access to FB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In 4 years I have seen no evidence of anyone other than Rimas logging onto Rimas'FB account

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody has blocked people from Rimas's FB page when he's con-tiki drifting. I think Shannon set up the FB page, and I assume can access it.

its very unlikely Rimas could survive a shipwreck and swim ashore. It's very unlikely he could be ashore in Fiji for several weeks without coming to the attention of Fijan authorities. It's unlikely he can find a laptop and access the Internet on a remote part of the island. He has no money, if he did access the Internet the first thing he'd do after claiming a successful voyage is to beg for money. He's dead, Jim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jachtař said:

Well, well, well. 

Has somebody (hint: not Rimas) been Crowhursting all along here?

 

Is there anyone who got 'hoax' in the pool? I sure remember a few posters mentioning it as a possibility

 

Granted, my money would still be on a close encounter with Texas Reef, but still...

This would be the most pointless, elaborate, and expensive hoax in history.

We have pictures of Rimas and his boats along the US West Coast, in Hawaii, and in Samoa. So the mysterious hoaxers shipped cheap, crappy boats around the Pacific. At great expense. Why?

No, a more likely story is that we've been following the adventures of an incompetent dreamer who somehow managed to drift around the Pacific for years before hitting a reef.

And RK is right. If he got online, he'd announce victory and beg immediately. He didn't do those things so isn't online. Or even alive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

This would be the most pointless, elaborate, and expensive hoax in history.

We have pictures of Rimas and his boats along the US West Coast, in Hawaii, and in Samoa. So the mysterious hoaxers shipped cheap, crappy boats around the Pacific. At great expense. Why?

No, a more likely story is that we've been following the adventures of an incompetent dreamer who somehow managed to drift around the Pacific for years before hitting a reef.

And RK is right. If he got online, he'd announce victory and beg immediately. He didn't do those things so isn't online. Or even alive.

Oh, I don't mean all the way back to the other drifts; I was thinking more about this particular one

 

As I said, I'm also pretty sure the Great Captain ended up on that reef and that it was Shannon who logged into that accout

 

But still, I have a soft spot for elaborate conspiracy theories, can't help myself

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

In 4 years I have seen no evidence of anyone other than Rimas logging onto Rimas'FB account

 

If you have been following this thread you  likely noticed Remas has shown 0 ability or desire to do anything or learn anything.  I believe it is extremely unlikely he would have the slightest idea of how to set up an account. Everything has always been done for him except drink starbucks coffee and drift con tiki style. He can't even cast off without someone else to do so for him them tow him out of the harbor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RKoch said:

Somebody has blocked people from Rimas's FB page when he's con-tiki drifting. I think Shannon set up the FB page, and I assume can access it.

its very unlikely Rimas could survive a shipwreck and swim ashore. It's very unlikely he could be ashore in Fiji for several weeks without coming to the attention of Fijan authorities. It's unlikely he can find a laptop and access the Internet on a remote part of the island. He has no money, if he did access the Internet the first thing he'd do after claiming a successful voyage is to beg for money. He's dead, Jim.

I hvent seen anyone blocked while rimas is adrift. From my observation, they always get blocked when he is ashore. But yes he's likely dead since tom would be blocked by now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bfloyd4445 said:

If you have been following this thread you  likely noticed Remas has shown 0 ability or desire to do anything or learn anything.  I believe it is extremely unlikely he would have the slightest idea of how to set up an account. Everything has always been done for him except drink starbucks coffee and drift con tiki style. He can't even cast off without someone else to do so for him them tow him out of the harbor.

He has (err.. had) the ability and desire to mooch stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone manages his account for him on facebook.  When he was at sea, and no where near shore, he managed to defriend me for asking challenging questions.  No way he did that himself.  Either Jean or Shannon has full access to his facebook.  I call bunk.   Rimas is fish food.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

He has (err.. had) the ability and desire to mooch stuff. 

If you read the beginning it started with a do gooder that gave him a tracker and spread the word. Then one thing led to another.  I have yet to see any evidence he initiated anything he just sits with his thousand yard stare and is used as a prop by the enablers whom have their own agenda. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Should "we" report Rimas's probable demise to the Social Security Administration? Or to one of those local TV news consumer advocates?

I think "you" should send a letter to the White House demanding immediate action. You could end up with a cabinet post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kingstonsail said:

          Bfloyd....I believe this "park" is known colloquially just as "the lawn dart"

True but bfloyd does have a good point.

I doubt I could survive drifting a Rawson across Texas Reef but I'm SURE I can't lawn dart an SJ 21 like that. Only one person can do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

True but bfloyd does have a good point.

I doubt I could survive drifting a Rawson across Texas Reef but I'm SURE I can't lawn dart an SJ 21 like that. Only one person can do that.

It was an SJ 24. His preferred ride

Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume like many he ran aground on Texas Reef, boat broke up.

But here is a question for the masses...

How far is the reef from the shore? 10 miles? 30 miles? Warm water and a PDF or other floating items onboard so why wouldn't he be on the beach in a day or two of the grounding? Sharks are not a certainty otherwise no one would scuba.

Maybe this scenario was already discussed so please enlighten me with the argument and counter if those have already been played out here.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

I assume like many he ran aground on Texas Reef, boat broke up.

But here is a question for the masses...

How far is the reef from the shore? 10 miles? 30 miles? Warm water and a PDF or other floating items onboard so why wouldn't he be on the beach in a day or two of the grounding? Sharks are not a certainty otherwise no one would scuba.

Maybe this scenario was already discussed so please enlighten me with the argument and counter if those have already been played out here.

 

I looked it up and answered my own question... about 10 miles.

So assuming the breeze was blowing him onto the reef, that same breeze would carry him onshore eventually.

If he had a ditch plan that included water, some food, and something to float on there is no reason to think he isn't on Rambi Island.

chart.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our swim team swam 5 miles across Biscayne Bay when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I couldn't drift/swim ten miles in open water today and I'm younger than Rimas was.

I'm wondering if someone here has started the rumors of Rimas at McDonald's in Fiji? It's a worthy rumor for this thread and otherwise can't be explained.

Specifically, I'm wondering if Fiji Gone Socky did that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless Rimas (God rest his soul) got whacked on the head and forgot who he was, is there anyway he could have made it to shore and got himself to a McDonalds on the main island and not tried to get his "Incredible World Record Breaking Kon Tiki Style Voyage Around The World" story out to the media. The Fiji Times seems very well in tuned to all the stuff going on around the nation and would never miss that story. 

So, yeah, it is just Jean screwing with the FB enabler sheeple so he will not get blamed for pushing "Chauncey Gardiner of the Sea" out to his watery grave.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

 enablers whom have their own agenda. 

Well who made the Guinness world record sign for his boat?

 

It would make sense that Shannon has access to his facebook, since the tracker would need to be linked to it with the password somehow.

What I wouldnt give for Rimas' FB password right now.

The 'ebnablers' as you call them don't really have any agenda other than trying to help him and keep him out of trouble. Unfortunately, their actions to help him ultimately killed him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Jean, Rimas religiously wore his harness and kept himself tethered to the boat. When I met him in Monterey harbor, Rimas told me he got washed overboard on the way there  and his harness saved him (at least that was what I translated from his gibberish).  So I would bet he was tethered going over Texas Reef. Also remember Shannon said he is almost blind, so he likely didnt even see the reef coming until it was too late. I was watching the sea state during that time period and there was a 5-6 ft westerly swell running. 5-6 ft swell translates to 10-12 wave faces breaking over the reef. If he went over it, it would have been pretty bad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Our swim team swam 5 miles across Biscayne Bay when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I couldn't drift/swim ten miles in open water today and I'm younger than Rimas was.

I'm wondering if someone here has started the rumors of Rimas at McDonald's in Fiji? It's a worthy rumor for this thread and otherwise can't be explained.

Specifically, I'm wondering if Fiji Gone Socky did that.

Nice try, but there actually is no McDonald in Lautoka, lol.

Still too early to be funny, but Fiji gone valu is just eating breakfast now and then off to school. Me, Fiji gone wild, going for my morning shit. Need any more info? 

Image result for morning shit

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fiji said:

Nice try, but there actually is no McDonald in Lautoka, lol.

Still too early to be funny, but Fiji gone valu is just eating breakfast now and then off to school. Me, Fiji gone wild, going for my morning shit. Need any more info? 

Image result for morning shit

Ruude pigg, you neede smatten up.

http://www.mcdonaldsfiji.com/contact

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

According to Jean, Rimas religiously wore his harness and kept himself tethered to the boat. When I met him in Monterey harbor, Rimas told me he got washed overboard on the way there  and his harness saved him (at least that was what I translated from his gibberish).  So I would bet he was tethered going over Texas Reef. Also remember Shannon said he is almost blind, so he likely didnt even see the reef coming until it was too late. I was watching the sea state during that time period and there was a 5-6 ft westerly swell running. 5-6 ft swell translates to 10-12 wave faces breaking over the reef. If he went over it, it would have been pretty bad. 

Not sure how that works...what was the period between swells?

 

-*

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ruude pigg, you neede smatten up.

http://www.mcdonaldsfiji.com/contact

 

Touché mon cher, but I had just woken up after watching the Virgin Mary most of the night. Had not been in Lautoka for a while, so googled McDonald Fiji and got this:59c1cb941bd4d_Screenshot-2017-9-19mcdonaldfiji-GoogleSearch.thumb.png.075681804be017dceae3f8507ad053f4.png More Locations ???

Yes,  en epic Snag down en Dang! There's 4 of 'em! Who knew ?  Not me, will try to smatten up though !
 
The good news is that Remase is gone from my island, is alive and well, is cashing in his social security disability checks, and will soon be on his way to Alaska again, and with a bit of luck end up on the Gold Coast of Australia... and move there onto a Hallberg-Rassy 53 ?
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Fiji said:

 

 

Touché mon cher, but I had just woken up after watching the Virgin Mary most of the night. Had not been in Lautoka for a while, so googled McDonald Fiji and got this:59c1cb941bd4d_Screenshot-2017-9-19mcdonaldfiji-GoogleSearch.thumb.png.075681804be017dceae3f8507ad053f4.png More Locations ???

Yes,  en epic Snag down en Dang! There's 4 of 'em! Who knew ?  Not me, will try to smatten up though !
 
The good news is that Remase is gone from my island, is alive and well, is cashing in his social security disability checks, and will soon be on his way to Alaska again, and with a bit of luck end up on the Gold Coast of Australia... and move there onto a Hallberg-Rassy 53 ?

How do you know he is cashing his SS checks?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kingstonsail said:

      Bfloyd....you always make me giggle  

And that's a good thing. Life's to short to spend it uptight and grumpy. When I reach the point at which I can no longer smile and find humor in the world around me I disappear for a bit onto the water or some other remote location away from the pollution of man.........

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

How do you know he is cashing his SS checks?

I heard he came floating into the Port of Namboutini, hanging onto an orange lifering, and was asking where the hell the Coastguard was. Dunno they said, then he asked for McDonalds but there was only a Burger King, then for Starbucks, dunno, then where the Bank of America was, waving a check around, and they showed him the way to Lautoka... And the rest is history.

Must be a true story, I read it on his Facebook page, I am a friend, you know.

59c1e6985c7dd_portofnamboutini.jpg.ebfcf534e6211b481cada5e1fd88f8d9.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

And that's a good thing. Life's to short to spend it uptight and grumpy. When I reach the point at which I can no longer smile and find humor in the world around me I disappear for a bit onto the water or some other remote location away from the pollution of man.........

I halve seene women pollutte to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Fiji said:

I heard he came floating into the Port of Namboutini, hanging onto an orange lifering, and was asking where the hell the Coastguard was. Dunno they said, then he asked for McDonalds but there was only a Burger King, then for Starbucks, dunno, then where the Bank of America was, waving a check around, and they showed him the way to Lautoka... And the rest is history.

Must be a true story, I read it on his Facebook page, I am a friend, you know.

59c1e6985c7dd_portofnamboutini.jpg.ebfcf534e6211b481cada5e1fd88f8d9.jpg

So the postman delivered his check to him while he was drifting kon tiki style in an orange life ring? Wow, where I live your lucky to get your mail in the mailbox.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I halve seene women pollutte to.

ya have.....me too...

.a couple of weeks ago a beautiful almost blonde on leave college professor<female> from Hawaii dropped in for grog and became so polluted she could not walk, but she was happy. Trying to carry her home was like trying to carry a 150lb mass of slippery jelly. I wanted her to just spend the night but she insisted she had to return home to care for her 101 year old grandmother. Ended up putting her into the back of a truck for transport THE 3/4 mile to her home......Now that was one polluted lady.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bfloyd4445 said:

ya have.....me too...

.a couple of weeks ago a beautiful almost blonde on leave college professor<female> from Hawaii dropped in for grog and became so polluted she could not walk, but she was happy. Trying to carry her home was like trying to carry a 150lb mass of slippery jelly. I wanted her to just spend the night but she insisted she had to return home to care for her 101 year old grandmother. Ended up putting her into the back of a truck for transport THE 3/4 mile to her home......Now that was one polluted lady.

Prayeres to St Popeiye maye of helpte in thet nobelle queste!                          :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

So the postman delivered his check to him while he was drifting kon tiki style in an orange life ring? Wow, where I live your lucky to get your mail in the mailbox.

Man, you have no imagination! He still had several checks left from Hilo, because he was too lazy to go and cash them. And the grifting at Starbucks went so well he didn't need the money anyway. How he kept them dry when he went for a swim, I don't know. But if you really want to know, then you must quickly go and ask him at the Tom Bradley Airterminal in L.A., because he has just been deported from Fiji, for not hoisting a yellow flag on his lifering, waisting Fijian SAR resources, and decaying in public. How do I know? Well, if you don't tell King, Beer, Sloop and your friend Crab, I now disclose that I am indeed an extraordinary sock, I am in fact ...Rimas's Ghosssssst, and here I have a little bit of a view for you guys:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

Jean's videos go a long way in explaining Rimas' boat preparation and maintenance. The Jean Mondeau School of boating. Rimas was doomed from the start.

No kidding. He wants to try and stop his boat from rocking in the slip.

Link to post
Share on other sites