Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

21 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I must not spend enough time loitering in this thread.

Better start paying attention. Rimas says next stop is Japan...a sure indication he's grifting your direction.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Better start paying attention. Rimas says next stop is Japan...a sure indication he's grifting your direction.

I'm picking San Francisco again, no matter where he says he's going. Probably by airplane.

23 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I'm picking San Francisco again, no matter where he says he's going. Probably by airplane.

Strong chance BUT he does seem to like the extra space of the 30' & doesn't seem so eager to abandon this one. 

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

I figure he's got at least six months on the grift before they kick him out.

16 hours ago, Tenoch said:

Every civilized country provides SAR services and rightfully so. Can you imagine all the drunk fishermen in the 12 foot aluminum boats with shitty out boards having to pay up every time they run into trouble? Should any of us be charged for the rescue when the time comes that we actually need it?

Depends on the trouble. If it's not life-threatening, you call a commercial tow boat.

10 hours ago, Tenoch said:

Just heard a guy 40 miles off Coos Bay call the CG saying his engine was disabled. Insurance wouldnt cover the tow, so the coast guard sent a motor lifeboat out and towed him in. And this was a motor sailor whos engine died. Also happens all the time off the Columbia River.

Around here, the answer would be, "Insurance won't cover it? Not life threatening. Pay." Same answer as if you just don't have towing insurance. You pay.

5 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I'm safe? He said Japan. Sure as shit means he's headed this way.

I remain hopeful.

Something just occurred to me. All these times he's claimed his tiller is broken—is it possible he doesn't realize he needs water moving over the rudder to have control?

If he's just drifting with the current, sideways probably, of course he'd think his tiller is broken.

18 hours ago, SCANAS said:

I guess you could argue that you aren't leaving your boat - hazard to navigation & see where that got you. Maybe target practice & an arrest by the sound of what goes on in the ex land of the free ie. the USA. 

In Aus we don't have a military CG, you call up, usually answered by volunteer rescue groups who aren't Government subsided & they'll come & get you. They even have offshore vessels. Our Water Police also do a fantastic job towing but mainly bigger commercial stuff not your average yacht unless our of range of volunteers. Donation recommended but not enforced. I have to say our volunteer guys do a great job & get loads of training. 

ex land of the free, aint that the truth. They add hundreds of new laws on the books each year but take few if any off the books. I wondered about that for years then made some inquiries and was told that they just don't inforce the old laws. I guess laws give power over the people even if not enforced and can  be utilized if they wish. Yes, each day less and less freedom like poor Remas.  Remas is locked in by his enablers who have slowly bound him and must  now do as directed or be thrown to the wolves. Bothers me when I see a mentally deficient like Remas manipulated for personal gain by "enablers".

59 minutes ago, Minnesail said:

Something just occurred to me. All these times he's claimed his tiller is broken—is it possible he doesn't realize he needs water moving over the rudder to have control?

If he's just drifting with the current, sideways probably, of course he'd think his tiller is broken.

good point.

11 hours ago, olaf hart said:

That’s on the way to North Korea isn’t it?

chuckle.....Remas always seems to end up going in the opposite direction he says so if he says Japan he will likely end in the Philippines or maybe someplace in the Indian ocean.           

13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

not a bad call as he did say the best food in the world he had from the Ca. central valley and they do have Richardson Bay.

On 10/18/2017 at 7:38 PM, E_Rock said:

I want to be an enabler. Thinking the West Marine Gold Advantage towing package will be be my first purchase in the name of Rimas. Then we can move on from the towing issue. He only needs an annual tow in and out.  I see them hauling charter guys and derelict fishing boats every week back past the cap. 

Has part deux of the interview been put out yet?  

YouTube Kspn2 News 2017 Oct 19. 

Rimas says on the Saipan news that he plans to sail from Saipan to Japan in April - at 8:37 on the video below.

It is funny that the signage on Rimas' boat says he plans to sail "NONSTOP" around the world.  Perhaps he should peel off the "nonstop" letters.  Or, is there some way to argue that his trip is nonstop? 

Tropical storm about to hit Saipan directly. Good timing to be in port, Rimas.  http://www.saipantv.com/video.asp?vidID=4796&secID=36

Also, the interesting 500sails project is featured at 18:46 by the lovely Sheri, in the Oct 20 news link above.

http://500sails.org/project_summary.php

I found it interesting that Rimas plans on staying in Saipan for the next 6 mos until April 2017 before leaving for Japan.  I wonder what he plans to do for the next 6 mos.  Sailing lessons?  Make a boat repair list and complete repairs?  Find a Wi-Fi connection to get on Facebook?

21 minutes ago, Team Subterfuge said:

I found it interesting that Rimas plans on staying in Saipan for the next 6 mos until April 2017 before leaving for Japan.  I wonder what he plans to do for the next 6 mos.  Sailing lessons?  Make a boat repair list and complete repairs?  Find a Wi-Fi connection to get on Facebook?

For Rimas, the next 6 months is always curricane season.

Latitude 38 picked up the story again, been a while:

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2017-10-20

I've got to disagree with the last line where they quote Jean - " But once Rimas sets his mind to something, Mondeau said, there is simply no stopping him."

Actually it would be quite easy to stop him, simply don't tow him out of the harbor in the first place.  Or don't buy him a boat!

1 hour ago, Team Subterfuge said:

It is funny that the signage on Rimas' boat says he plans to sail "NONSTOP" around the world.  Perhaps he should peel off the "nonstop" letters.  Or, is there some way to argue that his trip is nonstop?

It's Rimas-speak.

He hasn't "stopped" in his record-breaking journey yet, right? It's been interrupted but it's on-going.

Didn't this whole sailing thing start when the girlfriend he was living off of in San Francisco, moved to Japan? The first Alaska boat was trying to get to Japan and he has mentioned going there other times. I think he wants to shack up with her again.

I wonder if his loss of vision isn't something easy to correct like cataracts. If he is going to be in Saipan for 6 months he should wander by a doctor and find out.

5 hours ago, Team Subterfuge said:

Based upon his past record his pl;an is to stand, sit around drinking starbucks waiting for others to repair aND PROVISION mIMSY. If they are slow in completing these tasks he will likely postpone his departure.  

2 hours ago, Volkeno said:

Didn't this whole sailing thing start when the girlfriend he was living off of in San Francisco, moved to Japan? The first Alaska boat was trying to get to Japan and he has mentioned going there other times. I think he wants to shack up with her again.

I wonder if his loss of vision isn't something easy to correct like cataracts. If he is going to be in Saipan for 6 months he should wander by a doctor and find out.

He wears no uv glasses like polarized sunglasses etc. so you are likely correct. That would be my first choice, second being just another lie as an excuse for his incompetence. 

5 hours ago, Somebody Else said:
7 hours ago, Team Subterfuge said:

It's Rimas-speak.

He hasn't "stopped" in his record-breaking journey yet, right? It's been interrupted but it's on-going.

He hasn't stopped using it as an excuse for bumming whatever he can from others.

FB- Doug

Meanwhile, Furnish posted this in Rimas' FB:

Ahoy Friends Of Rimas!!

I'm sure everyone of you is so relieved and grateful Rimas finally showed up and apparently none the worse for wear for this last incredible voyage. I also know we'd all love to sit down and buy him a cup of coffee in a coffee shop and listen to him tell of his adventures. Well, how about this?
If enough of you punkle up just the 2 or 3 bucks for a cup it will help Rimas repair and replace boat stuff and maybe even enough to get him some glasses so he can see where he's going and maybe make these voyages a little shorter.
Come on, its only a couple of bucks-the price of a cup of coffee.

https://fundly.com/rimas-around-the-world

It's the 2013 fundraising link from the OP of this thread.

And if you look at the top donors...

rimasenablers.jpg

Like most here, I'm glad he's alive , but astounded that he reappeared. All who suggested the cockroach analogy are quite correct.

Guy is like the homeless alcoholic on panhandler on the street. I'd buy him a sandwich, or in this case a cup'o coffee (never Starfucks) but no cash for him to take and pursue the addiction that will result in his inevitable demise.

Yeah, i am a little jealous, toiling away with job, family and community responsibilities while he's out on the ocean blue but he has nothing and will continue to be a parasite sucking up public resources while others truly in need flounder. Sad really and not worthy of anyone's support or encouragement.

11 hours ago, By the lee said:

Should the state be made aware of Rimas' consistent lack of "judgement" he could be institutionalized, made a ward of the state.

The taxpayers would still be on the hook for his welfare but in a controlled environment where he couldn't endanger anyone else.

Furnish and Mondeau should be outed to the authorities so they can be watched.

Sounds like the Nazi SS party thinking.  Being foolish is not a crime.  Misusing government resources can be if they deem it necessary.  This is small potatoes for them.

Why is everyone worried about their tax payer money?  It was already spent before Rimas showed up.  Stop trying to "save" the rescuer.  Take it from a former SAR guy, LET IT GO.

If Rimas makes it off this rock, he will more than likely land in a foreign country where they might take his boat from him anyway or his lack of judgment will get himself killed.

3 minutes ago, Wait! What? said:

Sounds like the Nazi SS party thinking.  Being foolish is not a crime.  Misusing government resources can be if they deem it necessary.  This is small potatoes for them.

Why is everyone worried about their tax payer money?  It was already spent before Rimas showed up.  Stop trying to "save" the rescuer.  Take it from a former SAR guy, LET IT GO.

If Rimas makes it off this rock, he will more than likely land in a foreign country where they might take his boat from him anyway or his lack of judgment will get himself killed.

Seizing Rimas's boat is a greater burden on the taker than Rimas. A foreign country would only jail Rimas long enough to arrange his deportation...like the boat, he's nothing but a burden to those holding him. Rimas killing himself due to inept sailing and navigation skills is the most likely end of story...but no question his unlit drifting boat is a hazard to navigation, and the lives of any responders are at risk. We wouldn't still be discussing this if when Jean gave Rimas a boat, he padlocked it to a mooring or dock. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Seizing Rimas's boat is a greater burden on the taker than Rimas. A foreign country would only jail Rimas long enough to arrange his deportation...like the boat, he's nothing but a burden to those holding him. Rimas killing himself due to inept sailing and navigation skills is the most likely end of story...but no question his unlit drifting boat is a hazard to navigation, and the lives of any responders are at risk. We wouldn't still be discussing this if when Jean gave Rimas a boat, he padlocked it to a mooring or dock. 

And you all are still discussing the same dribble over these 231 pages. I'm already bored.

8 minutes ago, Wait! What? said:

And you all are still discussing the same dribble over these 231 pages. I'm already bored.

And like a trained monkey, you still click on the thread. No one is forcing you to read or respond.

I don't want to take away Rimas boat. The only concern I have with his "rescues" is if there was a time where there were two mayday calls at the same time and they went for Rimas instead of the people that have a real emergency. Otherwise those personnel are getting paid anyways and the expense is in the fuel spent and other consumables. They really need a tag on Rimas and Mimsy that pops up when he calls so they know not to send helicopters, or swimmers, but instead wait until he gets closer and send a boat.

Taking away his boat just makes Rimas an unhappy old guy that you are now responsible for his housing, medical and food. Net net, I think America is saving money by letting him drift around.

I might be tempted to give Rimas money if he would actually do work improving his boat, and bolt the Delorme to a bulkhead with a solar charger, so it can't be broken. Otherwise I don't see a reason to give him money to do what I would rather be doing while I save up money to do what he is doing now. Someone will mail him a sail, and someone will go rig the halyards, or it will never happen.

17 minutes ago, Volkeno said:

I don't want to take away Rimas boat. The only concern I have with his "rescues" is if there was a time where there were two mayday calls at the same time and they went for Rimas instead of the people that have a real emergency. Otherwise those personnel are getting paid anyways and the expense is in the fuel spent and other consumables. They really need a tag on Rimas and Mimsy that pops up when he calls so they know not to send helicopters, or swimmers, but instead wait until he gets closer and send a boat.

Taking away his boat just makes Rimas an unhappy old guy that you are now responsible for his housing, medical and food. Net net, I think America is saving money by letting him drift around.

I might be tempted to give Rimas money if he would actually do work improving his boat, and bolt the Delorme to a bulkhead with a solar charger, so it can't be broken. Otherwise I don't see a reason to give him money to do what I would rather be doing while I save up money to do what he is doing now. Someone will mail him a sail, and someone will go rig the halyards, or it will never happen.

Couldn't agree more.  I know that when Rimas gets near his land target, the CG/Local authorities are pre-notified, via folks on land, that he is approaching and basic issues with the boat.  The American Samoa CG was following him, via Delorme, as he approached.  They knew the background and was still willing to assist IF he had a real emergency.  Rimas was never able to contact them as he drifted by. In this case at Saipan, no one knew were he was let alone alive. SAR doesn't ask for a resume first, they go even when it is the fault of every dumbass out there. I had to rescue many idiots during my time in SAR, but we did it willingly and without regret.

Someone will mail him some sails. Idk if he's capable of bending them on, but I am sure he'll trash them in pretty short order. He's never demonstrated that's he's learning to take care of his gear. He can't repair his halyards, has no money to hire someone. Which means Jean or Shannon is going to have to fly there and do it for him. On their own dime, of course. Rest of the boat is a wreck, but at least remains somewhat functional...with the exception of motor. 

1 hour ago, By the lee said:

Implant a chip, like in a pet?

That would make identifying the body easier, for sure. I think there is a small movement to chip toddlers, in the event they escape the house. Seems applicable to Rimas. 

20 minutes ago, RKoch said:

That would make identifying the body easier, for sure. I think there is a small movement to chip toddlers, in the event they  escape the house. Seems applicable to Rimas. 

Damn bro, you must have been really upset that he survived this last trip.

6 minutes ago, Tenoch said:

Damn bro, you must have been really upset that he survived this last trip. Its odd to hear someone openly cheer for another man's death.

You take your reading comprehension lessons from Rimas? English not your native language? 

2 hours ago, Tenoch said:

Don't take it personally, I doubt Rimas knows you exist.

<buzzer> wrong again kemosabe. He banned me from his FB page. I laughed. Like I'm laughing now. I would agree there's a lot of stupid comments in this thread...they're by people who didn't bother to read it before climbing on their high horse. 

Japan is a good choice...you get a 3 mos landing visa, many will want to practice their English with him for a cup of coffee(does he speak English??) people are always throwing away good stuff so there is plenty of good trash to pick through  ...he can get lots of donated stuff..and  most likely someone will give him a better boat ( not that that matters much)  and he can get bumped up from Capt Rimus to Capt Rimus-san

3 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

What a cluster.  Looks like there is some sort of mainsail tied to the head stay. Love the oar.

I like the green stanchions, blue soap box, unwhipped frayed lines, foot hole in companionway cover, jury rigged jib on mast, jury rigged main on headstay, rusty compass pointing S, the bird shit on the sails, the missing section of toe railing... There is so much to love about that picture, but those green stanchions are especially creapy. Go Reamus!

Thats it. Im over reading this drivel. His feigned illiteracy and feigned poor  grasp of english, and feigned absence of rudimentary boat handling, and feigned position reports and false reports to rescue authorities, his grifting, the hovian trolls that feed him....  The whole thing is a con. And oh what a suprise. He's also Russian.  Goodnight comrade.

57 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

What a cluster.  Looks like there is some sort of mainsail tied to the head stay. Love the oar.

Damn, ur right...that is a mainsail on the forestay. I have no idea what's lashed to the mast, or what the oar is for. Chauncey of the sea.

2 hours ago, Timmys_Trick_Turkey said:

Thats it. Im over reading this drivel. His feigned illiteracy and feigned poor  grasp of english, and feigned absence of rudimentary boat handling, and feigned position reports and false reports to rescue authorities, his grifting, the hovian trolls that feed him....  The whole thing is a con. And oh what a suprise. He's also Russian.  Goodnight comrade.

not Russian but Latvian......Not a con its classic Grifting, the enablers are the cons

5 hours ago, By the lee said:

NO FAIR!  He's got a compass..............:huh:

There was quite a bit of debate about that 100 pages ago or so.

I'm not going to go find it, but I recall a picture showing it more toward the center of the bulkhead. Now it's way over to the left but there's no hole where I remember it being. Must be early onset OldTimers.

You got a telephone up and running yet, Rimas?

Jim Furnish Thanks for the call, Rimas..you sound great!
Jim Furnish Jean Mondeau, Rimas wants you to call him ASAP--check ur PMs for his new number--he cant find your's or something

I know Rimas can't/won't prepare a boat but you'd think he would have at least figured out to write his FB password and Jean's phone number in permanent ink on a bulkhead or something. He got there without either.

Let’s give Rimas meleshyus his due for a job well done.   I would have been a lunatic by the end of the first storm in that san Juan 24.  Have asked him by way of Facebook for an address to send small donations.  For those who missed it, his Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/rimas.meleshyus

3 hours ago, eusjim said:

Let’s give Rimas meleshyus his due for a job well done.   I would have been a lunatic by the end of the first storm in that san Juan 24.  Have asked him by way of Facebook for an address to send small donations.  For those who missed it, his Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/rimas.meleshyus

If you read the thread, you would know he has a Gofundme account.

Also if you read the thread, you would know that Rimas is an ignorant grifter. A job well done? It is to laugh.

8 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

There was quite a bit of debate about that 100 pages ago or so.

I'm not going to go find it, but I recall a picture showing it more toward the center of the bulkhead. Now it's way over to the left but there's no hole where I remember it being. Must be early onset OldTimers.

That's a knot meter to the far left. Compass is on the bracket just to left of companionway...looks like it's duct-taped on, I presume to keep the detachable bracket from coming off. IIRC he has some kind of spare compass that  never got mounted.

39 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Hoax....perfect lawn dart in Alaska....somehow lands in Hilo in an island chain known for few harbors/anchorages ....most shit drifting in the Pacific never comes near land....somehow escapes Fiji after a multi day dead eye track into land or reefs...now he somehow arrives in Saipan...quite remarkable another landfall near supporting population ....how did he take the photos....too much luck and not enough ocean reality...perfect mast hooped jury rigged main ....Hoax.... 

and remember he mentioned something about charging his phone when he was about 2 weeks out of HI, when he supposedly has no engine/gen set/solar/etc, no more mention of that capability after that

7 hours ago, eusjim said:

Oh fer fuck's sake you dreamy woo woo twat...   "a job well done", really?

There are families with children and pets sailing his route in a 1/5 of the time all in shape shape condition , entering/leaving port without rescue and not regarding themselves as courageous and record breaking.

1 hour ago, Latadjust said:

and remember he mentioned something about charging his phone when he was about 2 weeks out of HI, when he supposedly has no engine/gen set/solar/etc, no more mention of that capability after that

He has a little solar charger that charges his phone, ipad and Delorme and camera if he still has one. I have three or four that are about the size of my phone that have a battery, so you can connect your phone to it and charge from the sun, or leave the charger out to fill it's battery and charge the phone from it. I buy the cheap Chinese ones that work or not. Some have clips to attach to a backpack.

28 minutes ago, 6924 said:

Judges,

We did have some predictions which placed Rimas outlandishly far from Fiji ?

You going to rule on those ? 

There was a winner declared when he hailed for a tow in Fiji. No subsequent contest, since it appeared he was deceased.

6 hours ago, 6924 said:

Judges,

We did have some predictions which placed Rimas outlandishly far from Fiji ?

You going to rule on those ? 

I win! I said the current would drag his lucky ass Northwest. That was a bilzilion posts ago, and if you can find it, you can have the trophy. 

11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

If you read the thread, you would know he has a Gofundme account.

Also if you read the thread, you would know that Rimas is an ignorant grifter. A job well done? It is to laugh.

I just realized that the posting was several years old....

6 hours ago, Varan said:

I win! I said the current would drag his lucky ass Northwest. That was a bilzilion posts ago, and if you can find it, you can have the trophy. 

No one wants your trophy. Where's the hooker?

6 hours ago, Varan said:

Judges ?

Methinks the contest had a second life.