• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Any noise on Facebook or...?

sure aint no noise on this thread.
Its like our world record drifter has died and drifted into a private world of buttery smashed taters......Or maybe he is still enjoying the bevy of Vietnamese girls he was last pictured with?

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Or he’s been imprisoned and needs the SA Team to extract him

0446E8CD-B089-442C-A9E4-AC92005E601B.jpeg

chuckle......I can just picture a self appointed SA team charging in, tossing Rimas out the window, then examining the girls to make sure they have not been .......I don't know but I'm sure they, we, will know what to do

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bfloyd4445 said:

chuckle......I can just picture a self appointed SA team charging in, tossing Rimas out the window, then examining the girls to make sure they have not been .......I don't know but I'm sure they, we, will know what to do

"Stand back, I'm a gynecologist! Somebody boil some water!"

• Like 2
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:23 PM, axolotl said:

Well, enough time has passed to do an epilogue.  I respect Rimas for some amazing voyages on sub-shoestring  finances,  his ability to always be rescued by US territories, and his media savvy.

I think his last voyage was an anomaly,  forced to depart with inadequate stores,  near death by starvation upon rescue, and, most critically, stepped on land in Vietnam, not US soil.   His health has deteriorated to near invalid status, he's offline concerning social media, and is allegedly ensconced in a Vietnamese paupers house, with no obvious means of escape.  Resuming voyaging is highly unlikely given that he's downwind as far as he can drift, with no benefactor proffering a free 4knsb.

The Rimas saga is over.  I've been wrong before, wrongly declaring him dead or lost several times in the last few years, but I think the bell has tolled on Rimas's famousity.   The only progression I can imagine is he gets repatriated to the US to live his remaining  mortal coil as a ward of the state.

I still respect him for that death-defying passage from almost Mexico to Hilo with half his standing rigging gone.  It was gutsy downwind sailing, which it turned out to be the only kind of sailing he's even halfway good at.    Take a look way back at posts 57, 60, and 62, to remember what that must have been like---insane, but he made it.

The rest is epilogue for me,  sometimes irritating to upwind sailors and to panhandlees (is that a word?).

55 minutes ago, nolatom said:

I still respect him for that death-defying passage from almost Mexico to Hilo with half his standing rigging gone.  It was gutsy downwind sailing, which it turned out to be the only kind of sailing he's even halfway good at.    Take a look way back at posts 57, 60, and 62, to remember what that must have been like---insane, but he made it.

The rest is epilogue for me,  sometimes irritating to upwind sailors and to panhandlees (is that a word?).

Yes he was lucky to have survived. I believe he just hug on for dear life like he was on a roller coaster ride. 

He is most definitely a survivor

• Like 1

Rimas and respect, do these words belong in the same sentence?

I am in awe of his grifting skills, free boats dockage food etc.

I am in awe of the abilities of his many guardian angels that have seen him survive reefs storms and equipment failures.

Webb Chiles I respect, Shane Acton I respect, Jeanne Socrates I respect but not Rimas.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, TQA said:

I am in awe of the abilities of his many guardian angels that have seen him survive reefs storms and equipment failures.

Webb Chiles I respect, Shane Acton I respect, Jeanne Socrates I respect but not Rimas.

+100

12 hours ago, TQA said:

Well spoken TQA

On 9/19/2018 at 2:15 PM, Para Handy said:

#FindRimas

He’s not been seen or heard from in months. WTFRU Rimas?

I am presently on the ground here in Vietnam. Looked into all the Starbuck’s I passed. Being diligent, I have also checked out all of the hostess bars along the way (Holy shit!)

I can say this burg, Ho Chi Mihn City, is wayy too classy for our favorite idiot sailor. One could very happily spend one’s last years out in the provinces here. Rimas couldn’t have chose a better endpoint. We will never find him.

We don't necessarily need Rimas back, we just need someone to smuggle in a Delorme to his cell and keep the subscription current until we are all bored. Alternatively, they could get him a phone and sim card, but I think whichever it is, it needs to have very small buttons for the poetry to happen. 

On 7/25/2018 at 11:33 AM, RKoch said:

Rimas is highly offended at any suggestion that he's not a famous world-record setting sailor. 

He claims he was born in Sochi, Russia, on the Black Sea. I don't see any way he'd have a 'European Passport', if such a thing even exists. He is a naturalized US citizen. I assume he had a US Passport for his 'walk across Canada', his Carribean wandering, and the walk he took south to Panama. His prior boat voyages all ended in a US State or Territory. I don't think a US passport was entirely necessary except for an official ID. 

The Facebook fanclub is ignorant and easily confused. Rimas was taken off his boat by the Vietnamese fisherman, and remained on the fishing boat until it returned to port. That's pretty well documented in the news media and Rimas's and fishermen's own words. 

Having just looked through the start of this thread, I was really hoping that you were that guy Remis and you were posting about yourself in the third person. I found it really funny and then was disappointed when I realized that you weren't him. Sea2ocean was disappointed. 

On 9/21/2018 at 8:43 AM, SailBlueH2O said:

Simple matter of firing off a email asking both the US Embassy in Danang and the VN Consulate 

https://vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/consular-outreach-visits/

https://vietnamvisa.org/contact

I already contacted them. The reply:

"You want to ship buttery WHAT??? You're going on the no fly list!"

• Like 3
On 9/21/2018 at 5:24 AM, daddle said:

I am presently on the ground here in Vietnam. Looked into all the Starbuck’s I passed. Being diligent, I have also checked out all of the hostess bars along the way (Holy shit!)

I can say this burg, Ho Chi Mihn City, is wayy too classy for our favorite idiot sailor. One could very happily spend one’s last years out in the provinces here. Rimas couldn’t have chose a better endpoint. We will never find him.

Maybe he believes he’s already dead and has arrived in heaven. Perhaps he has.

It is the Rimas Paradox (tm). 

It is only when we all believe that he is deceased that he will re-appear.   

As long as someone thinks he is hidden away in some hovel (brothel?) in Vietnam, we won't hear from him.  

• Like 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote

An amazing resemblance...:P

"The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses his sanity and decides to become a World Record Adventurer (caballero andante), reviving chivalry and serving his country, under the name San Juan 24. He recruits a simple airline pilot, Shannon Buys, as his squire, who often employs a unique, earthy wit in dealing with Don Rimas' rhetorical orations on antiquated 4knsb. Don Rimas, in the first part of the book, does not see the world for what it is and prefers to imagine that he is living out a knightly story.

Throughout the sagal, Rimas uses such literary techniques as realism, metatheatre, found poetry and intertextuality. The Delorme posts had a major influence on the literary community, as evidenced by direct references to Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers (1844), Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1884), and Edmond Rostand's Cyrano de Bergerac (1897), as well as the word "quixotic" and the epithet "Ohey"; the latter refers to a character in "El curioso impertinente" ("The Impertinently Curious Man"), an intercalated story that appears in Part One, chapters 33–35.

When first published, Melesyhus was usually interpreted as a comic novel... it was popular for its central ethic that individuals can be right while society is quite wrong and seen as disenchanting. In the 19th century, it was seen as a social commentary, but no one could easily tell "whose side Cervantes was on". Many critics came to view the work as a tragedy in which Rimas' idealism and nobility are viewed by the post-chivalric world as insane, and are defeated and rendered useless by common reality. By the 20th century, the saga had come to occupy a canonical space as one of the foundations of modern literature."

"

• Like 10

From Sir Jean "the Enabler" this morning regarding Rimas; " He is in a retirement home for the poor in Vietnam."

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote

An amazing resemblance...:P

"The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses his sanity and decides to become a World Record Adventurer (caballero andante), reviving chivalry and serving his country, under the name San Juan 24. He recruits a simple airline pilot, Shannon Buys, as his squire, who often employs a unique, earthy wit in dealing with Don Rimas' rhetorical orations on antiquated 4knsb. Don Rimas, in the first part of the book, does not see the world for what it is and prefers to imagine that he is living out a knightly story.

Throughout the sagal, Rimas uses such literary techniques as realism, metatheatre, found poetry and intertextuality. The Delorme posts had a major influence on the literary community, as evidenced by direct references to Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers (1844), Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1884), and Edmond Rostand's Cyrano de Bergerac (1897), as well as the word "quixotic" and the epithet "Ohey"; the latter refers to a character in "El curioso impertinente" ("The Impertinently Curious Man"), an intercalated story that appears in Part One, chapters 33–35.

When first published, Melesyhus was usually interpreted as a comic novel... it was popular for its central ethic that individuals can be right while society is quite wrong and seen as disenchanting. In the 19th century, it was seen as a social commentary, but no one could easily tell "whose side Cervantes was on". Many critics came to view the work as a tragedy in which Rimas' idealism and nobility are viewed by the post-chivalric world as insane, and are defeated and rendered useless by common reality. By the 20th century, the saga had come to occupy a canonical space as one of the foundations of modern literature."

"

resembalance.......humm..... is he a  caricature of reality borgering upon fantasy

Over on Fecesbook:
I am planning on bringing Rimas home again. I need to know how many people will help me financially with this task. He is in DaNang Vietnam and I think he has served pentance enough by now. He is stuck in a homeless shelter. I will set up a go fund me account to accomplish this task. I am Jean also known as the enabler. I provide him with boats and money for his travels. But I am soon to be retired and can not finance his travels any longer. If his followers help out I will give this old adventurer another boat, (one more time) chain it to the dock till he can sail proper and set him free again. Respond to this thread and let see if this can happen.

YCMTSU

• Like 1

yeah im in too.

3 hours ago, ModernViking said:

Over on Fecesbook:
I am planning on bringing Rimas home again. I need to know how many people will help me financially with this task. He is in DaNang Vietnam and I think he has served pentance enough by now. He is stuck in a homeless shelter. I will set up a go fund me account to accomplish this task. I am Jean also known as the enabler. I provide him with boats and money for his travels. But I am soon to be retired and can not finance his travels any longer. If his followers help out I will give this old adventurer another boat, (one more time) chain it to the dock till he can sail proper and set him free again. Respond to this thread and let see if this can happen.

YCMTSU

i'll chip in if this is for real.

gonna be expensive to relocate him back to Latvia and find him another boat. Maybe just get him back to his home is enough.

20 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Are we being taken for a ride again?

Apparently we are going to send Rimas somewhere, not you. Would you like to adopt a homeless person with bad hygiene and poor English skills? I'm not talking about your congressman here.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Exactly which home are we proposing? (royal we)

San Francisco? American Samoa? Hawaii? Sitka?

Spare room at your place sounds great for Rimas. 

Although we get many “Southern” gator fishing shows on oz TV. I think down there would be great. Set him up with a 30ft’r (maybe remove the mast this time so he can get away) 

And who are the hapless schmucks that have to share a dock with Rimas and his chained chicken? Will the bird have to turn tricks for Pimp Daddy Rimas to pay the harbor master?  

Where will they dispose of all the buttery smashed potatoes?

12 hours ago, ModernViking said:

Over on Fecesbook:

YCMTSU

I really should send Jean $20 just for the bolded line. I've paid more for worse entertainment.

Sorry, I'm old school. Before I had kids I made certain I could care for them. Before I had pets I accepted responsibility for training, feeding and most importantly medical care.

You consider the consequences prior to making any commitment. If Jean wants to walk away from his pet, it's not my problem. He's enabled and now Rimas has come to expect more than any other homeless drifter I've seen. Been a great run up till now. All the public monies spent on his rescues could have been used to help a lot of people, himself included, in more appropriate, albeit less romantic and adventurous, settings.

My local animal shelter just had to take in and care for 52 labrador retrievers from a hoarder. I'll send them an additional $20 in Rimas's name.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, redboat said:

Sorry, I'm old school. Before I had kids I made certain I could care for them. Before I had pets I accepted responsibility for training, feeding and most importantly medical care.

You consider the consequences prior to making any commitment. If Jean wants to walk away from his pet, it's not my problem. He's enabled and now Rimas has come to expect more than any other homeless drifter I've seen. Been a great run up till now. All the public monies spent on his rescues could have been used to help a lot of people, himself included, in more appropriate, albeit less romantic and adventurous, settings.

My local animal shelter just had to take in and care for 52 labrador retrievers from a hoarder. I'll send them an additional $20 in Rimas's name.

Can’t afford both?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Autonomous said:

And who are the hapless schmucks that have to share a dock with Rimas and his chained chicken? Will the bird have to turn tricks for Pimp Daddy Rimas to pay the harbor master?  

Where will they dispose of all the buttery smashed potatoes?

Share a dock? Is that code for share a cleat with him?;)

17 hours ago, ModernViking said:

Over on Fecesbook:

YCMTSU

Troll of the year.

• Like 2

Someone on FB will have to confirm if this is Jean or Russian Mafia. It explains the lack of social media from the great adventurer.

Jean just needs to weld a tiller on this time.

18 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Apparently we are going to send Rimas somewhere, not you. Would you like to adopt a homeless person with bad hygiene and poor English skills? I'm not talking about your congressman here.

You missed the point: I was referring to posts in this thread about Remas which many took to be the truth only to find out later on  it was bs. The we I was referring to were all of us thread followers. TQA hit the nail on the head with his comment above.

2 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

You missed the point: I was referring to posts in this thread about Remas which many took to be the truth only to find out later on  it was bs. The we I was referring to were all of us thread followers. TQA hit the nail on the head with his comment above.

the "trolled golde" commente?

• Like 1

I'm not understanding why Gene keeps buying him a sailboat, just buy an old motorboat and be done with it, that old nutbar Remus can't get too far and in of those!

19 minutes ago, hobot said:

I'm not understanding why Gene keeps buying him a sailboat, just buy an old motorboat and be done with it, that old nutbar Remus can't get too far and in of those!

Adgreeded!  Mickey shoude donate the BB hese launchenge and keepe thingrd in controlle.                                 :)

43 minutes ago, hobot said:

Willing to compare delorme drift rate data on any future rimas "power"boat voyages when if it happens. He would still need a tow outside the gate, I reckon.

2 hours ago, hobot said:

There are lots of accounts of people drifting long distances in mb's and Remas is an accomplished drifter remember. Besides that would hake it to easy for him to request assistance when he runs out of M cherries or taters..

16 hours ago, hobot said:

Start him off in Sacramento and let him drift the Delta.

Hey good idea,  he can be the first to drift brown's two forty foot diameter tunnels under the delta which start just above Sacramento. No reefs or rocks to get in the way just a straight shot from the pumps down...….

Is a homeless shelter in Vietnam that bad a place for him?  Other than no Facebook or Starbucks access, he’s presumably got food and shelter, and he’s not going to put other people at risk to save him from his further “adventures”. 

Sucks for us, like having our favorite tv show canceled. Probably sucks for Scot, lower click count.  

• Like 1
On 10/5/2018 at 1:11 AM, SCANAS said:

Spare room at your place sounds great for Rimas. 

Although we get many “Southern” gator fishing shows on oz TV. I think down there would be great. Set him up with a 30ft’r (maybe remove the mast this time so he can get away) 

Like he needs a mast....

1 hour ago, groundhog said:

Like he needs a mast....

Yex he does, like a telephone pole size with his new boat impaled on top like a lawn dart. This way he won't need to suck up ER services that could be better utilized else where. He likes ladders so when he needs a fix he can use his ladder to come and go for a fix at starbucks.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, kippermoose said:

Take him to Home Depot and buy him 100 sheets of plywood, 500ft of 2 x 4 and 10,000 nails. And a Harleysaki.

Sit back end enjoy!

you might as well look at your lawn growing ... Rimas' status as world record breaking of the world record sailor drifter/grifter puts him far above handling any tool, performing any kind of physical, constructive or otherwise sweat inducing act, naah, he will leave all that lowlife calory wasting stuff to those silly enablers, interested ? we''ll sit back and enjoy ;)

• Like 1

IIRC, he started out in WA in a homeless shelter. Certainly, his drifting adventures have cost the taxpayers less  $ than his continuous food and shelter entitlements land side would have.   Being in Vietnam, he doesn't cost the  (American)taxpayers anything, either. I say we bring him back and let jean figure out what to do with him.