Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

1 minute ago, Sea warrior said:

A noob here who has read this thread from start to finish and I’ve got to say it has been most entertaining lol

and if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion for his next boat...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f152/81-28ft-san-juan-sloop-214676.html

no affiliation whatsoever 

There are long standing rules y'all know...

• Like 1
  • Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

On 2/23/2019 at 6:47 PM, Ishmael said:

Who is going to pony up the next boat? There are many "free boats" to choose from. Any number of them being up the Fraser, but they can be towed out to sea and left to drift. Imagine how much provisioning Rimas could do with a ferrocement 45'er. He could load the fucker up with wet oats and Unnatural Geographic to his heart's content and still have room for a chart of Cape Horn.

Yes, there is about a 30 foot FC boat on the hard for many years at our marina up the Fraser that is up for demolition.  I think it even comes sans rig , sails, and motor IIRC..  Just pay to have her splashed (which may be asking too much).

4 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Yes, there is about a 30 foot FC boat on the hard for many years at our marina up the Fraser that is up for demolition.  I think it even comes sans rig , sails, and motor IIRC..  Just pay to have her splashed (which may be asking too much).

it is, rimas dosen't do labor that's for others to provide

13 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

178E06F0-E8C9-4BF3-AFCD-D38B81389607.jpeg

SA will have to be more specific than tits...

Congrads on the full read...few have attempted that.

May the next great, great adventure continue upwind via the northest passage to Japan...

Related image
8 hours ago, Caferacer59 said:

Rimas has tackled the entirety of the Pacific, we need him over here to now show the atlantic who's boss.  ima start looking for a boat. 

He has stated a desire to see Iceland...and Japan.

1 hour ago, Volkeno said:

He has stated a desire to see Iceland...and Japan.

Well they are both North of the equator, so not too much of a problem. A BS boat has taken the short cut in the past. And there might be something for him to consider. A bilge keel boat.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:00 PM, Sea warrior said:

A noob here who has read this thread from start to finish and I’ve got to say it has been most entertaining lol

It's like a time-wasting land mine left on the internet.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I see 2 yellow SJ24's for sale up here. That colour screams northwest passage. The pier pressure is on him to make it to Japan this time and see his old gf.

Hint. It's never the same, Rimas, when you see her...:wub:

9 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

I see 2 yellow SJ24's for sale up here. That colour screams northwest passage. The pier pressure is on him to make it to Japan this time and see his old gf.

Hint. It's never the same, Rimas, when you see her...:wub:

See?

Shannon said they were doing 8 knots upwind.It's a nice day with a weather change coming, so there is a nice breeze. Rimas looks like he was hanging on for dear life. I don't think he likes heel angles.

Maybe Rimas will be willing to do more sailing and less drifting now that he can see again.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Volkeno said:

Shannon said they were doing 8 knots upwind.It's a nice day with a weather change coming, so there is a nice breeze. Rimas looks like he was hanging on for dear life. I don't think he likes heel angles.

Maybe Rimas will be willing to do more sailing and less drifting now that he can see again.

Maybe now that he can see... he’ll be scared 

14 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

naaahh,, everything was set up for him.  I can imagine what he'd do if asked to duplicate that.  :blink:

Who's boat?  

Shannon's boat and Shannon is holding the camera and narrating the video telling Rimas which was to steer. Rimas has sailed in years past when Shannon set everything up for him. The test would be if Rimas takes instruction and repeats it when alone.

41 minutes ago, Volkeno said:

Shannon's boat and Shannon is holding the camera and narrating the video telling Rimas which was to steer. Rimas has sailed in years past when Shannon set everything up for him. The test would be if Rimas takes instruction and repeats it when alone.

Sooo,, Full circle.     5 1/2 years, and 25000 posts later,,, and we're back at post 1,, Shannon takes Rimas out sailing.   :mellow:

Rimas looks just as inept as he did back then, if not more.   Absolutely no concept which way to steer when the boat is healed on it's ear.

When's the new go-funda-nidiot?   :rolleyes:

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

Sooo,, Full circle.     5 1/2 years, and 25000 posts later,,, and we're back at post 1,, Shannon takes Rimas out sailing.   :mellow:

Rimas looks just as inept as he did back then, if not more.   Absolutely no concept which way to steer when the boat is healed on it's ear.

When's the new go-funda-nidiot?   :rolleyes:

The circular sweep of life, the worm Ouroboros, the ebb and flow of existence.

Or something like that.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

This.  Except maybe no more Jean involvement for the next lap.

26 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

Early in the video it looks like he’s actually bearing off in a puff, heel increases.  

2 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

This.  Except maybe no more Jean involvement for the next lap.

HAHhh,, I'll believe that when I see it.

Jean is in the business of disposing of dispossessed yachts,,, likely paid for disposal, and sometimes charges 'nominal' fees to the young unwitting buyers.  Something of a sacred middle-man recycler deal,, not bad!     I saw a video in the 'chick with patreon' thread on CA,, where the kids credit Jean with the beauty they got.

It will actually be to his 'convenience' to provide Rimas with a boat soon,,, annual moorage $ are due soon, we'll see what boats go derelict.

5 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Got a hit from his FB page....Rimas is out and about..looks like he is sporting some old man post cataract surgery shades

What a joke, sitting there like a manikin posed for the video.

5 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

HAHhh,, I'll believe that when I see it.

Jean is in the business of disposing of dispossessed yachts,,, likely paid for disposal, and sometimes charges 'nominal' fees to the young unwitting buyers.  Something of a sacred middle-man recycler deal,, not bad!     I saw a video in the 'chick with patreon' thread on CA,, where the kids credit Jean with the beauty they got.

It will actually be to his 'convenience' to provide Rimas with a boat soon,,, annual moorage $ are due soon, we'll see what boats go derelict.

...here's likely a Jean Mondeau special,, lotsa projects, gas leaks, through hull issues,,, amazing it floats.  New owners?  ,,,saving up funds for a haulout.  

I give sailboats away free, to worthy adventurers. To qualify, you must currently have a sailboat and want to upgrade to a different boat. I am not placing homeless people in sailboats. You must have a history of sailing long distances to be worthy. If this doesnt work for you...no problem. Get your free boat from someone else. The boats I give away need work. Some less, some more. You need to decide what will work for you. 

The money people donate to this page will be used to pay for slip fees and boat stuff that I give away. 

Good luck.
Help spread the word!"

Here is a partial resume of the "ENABLER"

So here is the list of sailors I have enabled. Alex Buntin with a Hobie cat, Richard D. Morales with S/V Me Pica, a Lancer 25, Rimas Meleshyus with a San Juan 24, then a Raulson 30, Robert Sharky Coleman with a Coronado 25 Gonzalo Rojas with his 30 foot something (don't remember what it was) Justine Yearwood with s Bucaneer 335 and there are more but my feeble mind is forgetting the list. My significant others have a better memory of that stuff in their memory banks for later retrieval when I don't want to hear it. But I love them all

Yer'll see Jean listed in the credits

3 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

...and some Rimasbumbling....   

Best part is begins around the 4 minute mark when his fear of sharks is revealed...something after a lifetime of sailing I have never heard of read of this danger discussed .....Rimas please find a way to Mexico and get dentures 

I just subscribed to Rimas's YouTube channel. I was #14. I don't think he can kick me off like Facebook.

On 3/23/2019 at 8:02 AM, SailBlueH2O said:

Best part is begins around the 4 minute mark when his fear of sharks is revealed...something after a lifetime of sailing I have never heard of read of this danger discussed

When the adult sharks are training their young in techniques to extract sailors from boats it can get pretty frightening.

• Like 3
On 3/22/2019 at 6:19 PM, SailBlueH2O said:

Yes shannon you are sailing upwind, but wait till Rimas hoists an upside down spare main in place of the jib and backwinds it with a spider web of assorted lines and then we can talk points of sail

19 hours ago, axolotl said:

Gotta love the sheeting angle on the “jib”.... Or is that the mainsail?

16 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

When the adult sharks are training their young in techniques to extract sailors from boats it can get pretty frightening.

They will soon learn not to play with their food and overcome their fear

20 hours ago, woahboy said:

Let's just settle for a 'bit of old Dacron'. you know!

And in the clip with shannon he makes several 30 degree course changes whilst 'sailing upwind'!

I call hoax on this.

Shannon set up the trim (badly) and Rimas looked like every beginner I have ever seen when the boat heels over. Very uncomfortable indeed.

Rimas could not sail out of sight in a gale if it was upwind.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, woahboy said:

I still think the best rig for Rimas's next boat is a free standing mast with a feathering 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" marine plywood....hell he could sell sponsorship advertisement space on it, or better yet cover in in solar panels to power his social media and GPS

• Like 3

Wonder if the King has found a new ride yet, now that he can see with a discerning eye.

Once a Rawson man, always a Rawson man is my guess...this pilothouse is all he could want. No pesky tiller to rot away, this one features 2 wheels! Plenty of room for life rings, slung fish, intact bulwarks, senior citizen height cockpit coaming, room to grow veggies on the roof, an outboard to wash overboard, an empty engine bay to stuff with oats, lovely green cabin accents and no need to caulk any windows. Price is within range of the best grifters. This is a NW passage machine.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/bremerton-rawson-30-pilot-house-sloop/6851238129.html

00z0z_kg4ZuPzpif7_600x450.jpg

A 5' sailboat, launched from near Portland, OR on Dec 2nd 2017 made a record breaking none-handed voyage across great geography to make it to Tarawa, arriving on the beach without a tow.

https://ktvl.com/news/local/mini-boat-built-by-richmond-elementary-school-students-washes-ashore-on-tiny-pacific-atoll

A 5,000 mile trip, but GPS data indicates it took a 14,000 mile route.  Did it make better time than Rimas?  Can it sail upwind?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, xyzzy said:

A 5' sailboat, launched from near Portland, OR on Dec 2nd 2017 made a record breaking none-handed voyage across great geography to make it to Tarawa, arriving on the beach without a tow.

https://ktvl.com/news/local/mini-boat-built-by-richmond-elementary-school-students-washes-ashore-on-tiny-pacific-atoll

A 5,000 mile trip, but GPS data indicates it took a 14,000 mile route.  Did it make better time than Rimas?  Can it sail upwind?

That is a cool project ~~~~

6 hours ago, xyzzy said:

The voyage took 15 months so that comes out to .77 MPH. Don't remember what Rimases average was

8 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

guess then Rimas out performs a five foot toy boat. Wonder how he would do against a 10 foot toy boat?....or maybe a rubber ducky

Don't know about Rimusses rubber ducky, but Fiji SAR found his liferaft 2 years before he hit Texas Reef himself. Go figure.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:15 AM, axolotl said:

Right at the 8:00 mark he uses the word 'curricane' . He then proceed to inform the viewers his voyage is being followed by millions of people. The he says he is looking for sponsors and donations. And he says 'you know' about 20 times a minute. 

I got a message from him on Facebook. He says he pruned 278 haters off his friends list. He also sent pictures of 2 boats he is looking to buy.

13 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

I got a message from him on Facebook. He says he pruned 278 haters off his friends list. He also sent pictures of 2 boats he is looking to buy.

So that must be why I was kicked off of his friends list. But I hardly ever posted anything! And I tried to keep what I did post non confrontational. 

6 minutes ago, Great White said:

So that must be why I was kicked off of his friends list. But I hardly ever posted anything! And I tried to keep what I did post non confrontational. 

Maybe he booted anyone who hasn't donated to his huge geography. Friends list down to seven older women?

52 minutes ago, Great White said:

All you need to do to get back on is to make up a girls name with a hot picture...

1 hour ago, Blitz said:

What's he looking at?

received_301995593801092.jpeg

received_330322221005348.jpeg

received_510520173088399.jpeg

Both of them could be used. The engine in the  Ericson would Probably be destroyed by the time he was out of Puget Sound. And the outboard on the Columbia would probably find its way to the bottom.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Maybe he booted anyone who hasn't donated to his huge geography. Friends list down to seven older women?

That ought to tell you where his minds at, and it ain't sailing. Those seven likely have in addition to their feminine charms monetary assets he intends to mine.

3 hours ago, We are Rimas! said:

Right at the 8:00 mark he uses the word 'curricane' . He then proceed to inform the viewers his voyage is being followed by millions of people. The he says he is looking for sponsors and donations. And he says 'you know' about 20 times a minute. 

he is completely out of his balls. total narcissist. 

48 minutes ago, Great White said:

Both of them could be used. The engine in the  Ericson would Probably be destroyed by the time he was out of Puget Sound. And the outboard on the Columbia would probably find its way to the bottom.

Rimas, the master mariner has little need for frills of this nature. All he needs is a jib, caulking and a mast to hang fish. Oh, almost forgot maybe a ladder and duct tape.

From his post : Columbia 26 foot in very a good condition. Asking $ 2,500 . I have a money now $ 1,300 I would like to get I am meeting this guy this week I talked on the phone today.

received_585782425257439.jpeg

received_353639778607533.jpeg

17 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

From his post : Columbia 26 foot in very a good condition. Asking $ 2,500 . I have a money now $ 1,300 I would like to get I am meeting this guy this week I talked on the phone today.

This boat is only 32"(inch). Will this be big enough? I have RC sailboats bigger than that.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, We are Rimas! said:

This Craigslist ad has that boat listed for $5k. And he is not sitting in it either.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/d/everett-sailboat-32-discovery/6856180819.html

4 hours ago, Great White said:

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I guess I should not feel so bad. Looks like Rimas gave his former chief enabler, Jean the boot too. And even Tom!

1 hour ago, Great White said:

This Craigslist ad has that boat listed for $5k. And he is not sitting in it either.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/d/everett-sailboat-32-discovery/6856180819.html

Isn't that a cabin stepped mast? I'm not a sailor but i would think an experienced blue water sailor would prefer something stronger.  Dosen't make sense....chuckle....but i guess then it fits right in this thread

1 hour ago, Great White said:

I guess I should not feel so bad. Looks like Rimas gave his former chief enabler, Jean the boot too. And even Tom!

Maybe they were horning in on his bevy of girl friends

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Great White said:

Go back to feeling bad. Screen shot taken just now.

Rimas4-7-19.jpg