Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

3 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

He has 4700 + friends on FB....do the math and the type of boat he could buy with  $1 per friend donation ...then if "friends" gave $2..and on 

Oh hell, S2HO. Don't give him any ideas. We need to keep him on land for as long as possible. Although the stories of his "passages" are entertaining. But I have never been one to laugh at another's misfortunes. Unlike the Orange Menace in the White House. 

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, HypnoToad said:

Damnit! He unfriended me again. But at least he's still friends with my dog, so have to log on as fido to get Rimas news.

Looked back in the thread here and couldn't find this. Seems Miss Sharon Murphy (Enabler, admirer, lover?) set up another Go FundMe for Rimas on April 4th:  Sail around the world

$20 so far!

$120 now. All on here should give. We have def got our money's worth to date!

On 4/6/2019 at 7:12 PM, Great White said:

I guess I should not feel so bad. Looks like Rimas gave his former chief enabler, Jean the boot too. And even Tom!

I just checked.  Furnish, Buys and Mondeau are still Friends of his on FaceBook.

1 minute ago, aloha27 said:

That would be a perfect ride..those things are well built...wrong side of the country for him...an old Alberg or Bristol would be good too

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

That would be a perfect ride..those things are well built...wrong side of the country for him...an old Alberg or Bristol would be good too

I went to take a look at the Pearson. The slip is paid through May 14. The builder's plaque states that this is hull#1!! 

She doesn't look at all bad. There are some interesting additions like a baby stay, a long track on the forestay (presumably to rig the staysail mentioned in the ad), a bridge over the companionway for some small winches and cleats. I think all of this is to aid in single handing. 

Hull number 1.png

1 hour ago, axolotl said:

I just checked.  Furnish, Buys and Mondeau are still Friends of his on FaceBook.

I saw that. When I looked before, Jean was not listed as a friend. 

Rimas always wanted to visit Iceland and then take the Northwest Passage to Japan lol!! He could get that boat for $400 and have $900 for an outboat motor that would fall off once he got to huge geography. He doesn't need an electrical panel anyways. Just a solar panel to charge his phone and gps and delorme.

That Pearson is perfect for him. 

2 hours ago, Volkeno said:

Rimas always wanted to visit Iceland and then take the Northwest Passage to Japan lol!! He could get that boat for $400 and have $900 for an outboat motor that would fall off once he got to huge geography. He doesn't need an electrical panel anyways. Just a solar panel to charge his phone and gps and delorme.

That Pearson is perfect for him. 

The North Atlantic will not be as kind as the South Pacific. This will not work well with his lifestyle, although he could catch some cod on the Grand Banks and hang it in the rigging for a few months. With that climate, it could still be edible. See Tristan Jones and his barrel of burgoo. 

• Like 1

"Needs Caulking"

This SJ24 is just what he needs, with plenty of headsails, 2 spinn and a spare main. An outboard is included to loose overboard. This boat has the dodgy standing rigging already. What other proven high latitude lawndartable can you get for 1500 bucks? This one has a larger rudder for faster kontiki passages but unfortunately the hull is not NW Passage Yellow.

The boat's current name is Malice, exactly how the great adventurer does his boat maintenance...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/seattle-san-juan-24-sailboat-for-sale/6860827688.html

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

The boat's current name is Malice, exactly how the great adventurer does his boat maintenance...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/seattle-san-juan-24-sailboat-for-sale/6860827688.html

Malice would require caring about boat maintenance. I looked for synonyms for "indifferent" that begin with m but didn't find one.

Several collisions all repaired at CSR boatyard
Keel came loose, repair was questionable; may not be plumb. (surveys available)

** things I'd do to race **
Replace #1 genoa
Check standing rigging, getting near end of life
Refinish bottom (3 year old VC17)
"a bunch of caulking"

I guess the whole questionable keel thing is OK. It's not like anyone has every dropped one in the middle of the ocean or anything.

6 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

Malice would require caring about boat maintenance. I looked for synonyms for "indifferent" that begin with m but didn't find one.

I guess the whole questionable keel thing is OK. It's not like anyone has every dropped one in the middle of the ocean or anything.

"Keel may not be plumb"...nothing about kontiki style racing

Well, a Cat 27 has already been rtw

Third San Juan...he can sail that thing in his sleep...

wait, he takes the sails down when he sleeps...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Pipe Dream said:

How is that possible without tearing a chunk out of the bottom?

Basic physics, he must have been going at a good clip, hit the mud flat and caught some air under the bow and over she went. 

On 4/22/2019 at 3:49 PM, Pipe Dream said:

Through the magic of Photoshop or maybe it flipped, drifted into shallow water, and the tide went out?

• Like 1

Its not too hard to imagine how a boat could capsize due to any of a number of circumstances (some monkey at the wheel, top heavy power unit, water sloshing around inside, etc...).    Now imagine that capsize taking place in fairly shallow water at high tide.  The bow held a pocket of air and sat stable with the heavy end resting on the bottom.  Low tide was at sunset (or sunrise) and you have your photo opportunity. 

The whole chain of events is not a whole lot different then lawn darting.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:49 PM, Pipe Dream said:

On 5/3/2019 at 2:38 PM, zenmasterfred said:

Oh man, my gaydar is bumping into the red, danger, danger...

It's all part of his genius... keeping us guessing. 

Although if Shannon drops his wallet whilst they're out on the town , I'd suggest he kicks it home.

12 minutes ago, EvaOdland said:

FYI - straight people do not have gaydar...you have to be gay for it to be activated. 

I doubt that after having a few guys try to make a pass at me over the years.....their gaydar is miles off and needs recalibration if so. 

By the same token, I’d picked up on them being gay in under 30 seconds. 

Effeminate, record setting, round the world, Cape Horn polar explorer in action with tiller tied to leeward and jib hove to for maximum kontiki cruising speed in fresh winds.

5 minutes ago, EvaOdland said:

you don't have to get all crabby....sheesh lighten up sunshine...there are these things called jokes...

Don’t try stand up comedy, it’s not your thing. 

2 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Effeminate, record setting, round the world, Cape Horn polar explorer in action with tiller tied to leeward and jib hove to for maximum kontiki cruising speed in fresh winds.

I understand that he is from points north and has a cast iron stomach (Me pop is from that region and he does) but man, that washing machine affect, it would kill me after only a few hours.  Could not imagine doing that shit for months on end...  Props for the stomach...  The rest, well its Rimas.. 

7 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

What is that horizontal thing that goes from the upright pole, over the windshield and is sheeted on the transom? Is it to grab when he trips over the rats nest he has tied across the cockpit? I would think if one wasn't using it, they might tie it out of the way, or tip it over the side.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Volkeno said:

What is that horizontal thing that goes from the upright pole, over the windshield and is sheeted on the transom? Is it to grab when he trips over the rats nest he has tied across the cockpit? I would think if one wasn't using it, they might tie it out of the way, or tip it over the side.

He does use it occasionally to hold the jib mainsail out.

10 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

He’s got main and mizzen life rings flying. 

The complete and utter lack of seamanship is really overwhelming once you start observing the little details.

• Like 2
On 5/6/2019 at 5:36 AM, monsoon said:

Are gay people something you're afraid of?

No, not at all.  Just making a comment on Rimas's latest iteration.  WTF, is this political correct anarchy now, have I offended your pc self?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 11:56 AM, Varan said:

That could expensive considering how much he uses. The boat might be a cheaper option. 

I wonder does Rimas actually do the caulking himself? Sounds like work to me.

The dead Mahi Mahi would probably do a neater job

• 2 weeks later...

Rimas has just arrived in beautiful Kauai for a vaca...he says he'll wait for the summer sailing season to be over  in the PNW and buy a boat when the "prices are better"....

On 4/5/2019 at 12:21 PM, xyzzy said:

A 5' sailboat, launched from near Portland, OR on Dec 2nd 2017 made a record breaking none-handed voyage across great geography to make it to Tarawa, arriving on the beach without a tow.

https://ktvl.com/news/local/mini-boat-built-by-richmond-elementary-school-students-washes-ashore-on-tiny-pacific-atoll

A 5,000 mile trip, but GPS data indicates it took a 14,000 mile route.  Did it make better time than Rimas?  Can it sail upwind?

It made landfall without a tow. Something the remas has never done.

4 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Rimas has just arrived in beautiful Kauai for a vaca...he says he'll wait for the summer sailing season to be over  in the PNW and buy a boat when the "prices are better"....

For the prices of the boats he is looking at, they are all junkers. 

what I'm about to say may have been said already as I skipped last few years of posts, sorry if the case.

Just checked if he is alive, apparently he is, and all the travails hasn't diminished his longing for the next sailing adventure/mishap. 

Does he have a death wish, or rather wish not to die in a hospital bed with  tubes sticking out of all the possible orifices?, or is it a 'freedom from nothing left to loose'?, I can understand both, 'cause , I (and anybody else for that matter) may be a breath away from either and do nothing about it,; but I believe there is more to it..

To all detractors, he is embodiment of an Anarchist and should be made an honorary life time member here :)

On 6/7/2019 at 9:17 PM, See Level said:

24,811 posts mostly about him aren't enough?

I cant believe this shit is still going on   lol

Maybe he read about the Hydro tri auction...he likes to go great, great...better to have her go in a blaze of glory than cut up.

Cue face palm now...

• Like 1
On 6/7/2019 at 6:10 PM, kazo said:

Does he have a death wish, or rather wish not to die in a hospital bed with  tubes sticking out of all the possible orifices?, or is it a 'freedom from nothing left to loose'?, I can understand both, 'cause , I (and anybody else for that matter) may be a breath away from either and do nothing about it,; but I believe there is more to it..

To all detractors, he is embodiment of an Anarchist and should be made an honorary life time member here :)

Possibly, but my guess is it beats the hell out of living under a bridge or overpass.  Especially when no work is involved and others enable him to do so.  I would probably do something very similar if I was in his shoes.

• Like 1

Volkeno,

Is it possible to create a sock on Facebook?  I don't go there anymore because it's an even bigger time vacuum than SA.  If you can, or if there is anyone here that has not been unfriended by Rimas, perhaps a liberal splashing of heart and flowers emojis can hide a few key questions. e.g.,

"Captain Rimas: <captain with scrambled egg hat emoji>

I just love <multiple heart emojis> your sense of adventure. <heart and flower emojis, swashbuckling Errol Flynn type pirate emoji>

<heart and flower emojis>Do you know how to sail? <more heart and flower emojis, boat emoji, steering wheel emoji>

Don't let the haters distract you <guillotine emoji>. Just keep enjoying your record breaking <trophy emoji> voyages <cruise ship emoji>

<multiple heart and flower emojis> <unicorn emoji>

7 hours ago, Volkeno said:

Apparently Rimas left Hawaii and is in Juneau Alaska.

I'm not allowed to comment on his page, or I would ask about his tour.

Mostly his commentators just send emojis with hearts and flowers

He actually was in Juneau last weekend and then flew to Kauai on Monday. 

He unfriended me from Facebook early this year then reinstated me and told me not to post on his page. Then he unfriended me again. When I ask why, he said that his other friends said to get rid of me. He then reinstated me again and feels the need to PM his pictures. Including a picture of his airline ticket.

I am surprised to see his activity mentioned here as I was friends with him on FB. Just checked and I guess he unfriended me. Don't know why, guess I did not donate my boat to his RTW adventure.

14 hours ago, Shu said:

Volkeno,

Is it possible to create a sock on Facebook?  I don't go there anymore because it's an even bigger time vacuum than SA.  If you can, or if there is anyone here that has not been unfriended by Rimas, perhaps a liberal splashing of heart and flowers emojis can hide a few key questions. e.g.,

"Captain Rimas: <captain with scrambled egg hat emoji>

I just love <multiple heart emojis> your sense of adventure. <heart and flower emojis, swashbuckling Errol Flynn type pirate emoji>

<heart and flower emojis>Do you know how to sail? <more heart and flower emojis, boat emoji, steering wheel emoji>

Don't let the haters distract you <guillotine emoji>. Just keep enjoying your record breaking <trophy emoji> voyages <cruise ship emoji>

<multiple heart and flower emojis> <unicorn emoji>

One FB account is plenty for me. Rimas unfriended me when he was in Hawaii after his escape from Monterrey. He didn't like my comments and the one that got me banned was just asking if he had gone out sailing after he commented on how much he loved sailing. I am following him so I see when he posted new pictures, but I can't comment.

He did go through all my pictures on FB when he originally friended me and now as a follower, I don't think he can see my page. 

If he wasn't getting another boat, I would stop following hi FB page.

He's wearing old fart's sunglasses outdoors all the time now.  I'm guessing the opthamologist who replaced his cataract damaged lenses told him to do so.  Nice hat too.

rimas.jpg.043829c2db8d52ed6832ec2c5f1bb05d.jpg

4 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Slim pickin's for the King to choose from but there is a Rawson!@!

It will take some grifting but there it is. 1976 Rawson 30 - boats - by owner - marine sale1

Nice, all ready for a good caulking job. I'm sure the present owner would love getting paid to have her hauled away.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:18 AM, axolotl said:

He's wearing old fart's sunglasses outdoors all the time now.  I'm guessing the opthamologist who replaced his cataract damaged lenses told him to do so.  Nice hat too.

rimas.jpg.043829c2db8d52ed6832ec2c5f1bb05d.jpg

"Where is my old boat? I am sure I left it standing around here somewhere."

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Rimas is leaving it late for the NW Passage [to Japan via the Aleutians] any word on a boat yet?

I see a Santana 20 in his price range, comes with a spinnaker like he wanted...no motor and this one will drift faster in light airs with the spinnaker set backwinded. Race to Alaska Santana 20 - boats - by owner - marine sale

In Ketchikan...1000 bucks

"New pictures from Sitka, Alaska June 2019 It was warm and beautiful - please enjoy! I will be returning to Kauai island in August 2019."

How is this guy pulling it off?  He's jet set vacation travelled more than I have in the last year,  he's had cataract surgery and bought a bunch of flashy clothes.  What's this dude's magic lantern?rimas.jpg.b86fee9a9eef8107b8a89c015cb76316.jpg

48 minutes ago, axolotl said:

"I will be returning to Kauai island in August 2019."

Wouldn't be surprised if he hooks up with one of the goody goody old woman in Hanalei.

la.thumb.jpg.ab340a68ffa333f86a4da9a7ae372dc4.jpg

3 hours ago, axolotl said:

"New pictures from Sitka, Alaska June 2019 It was warm and beautiful - please enjoy! I will be returning to Kauai island in August 2019."

How is this guy pulling it off?  He's jet set vacation travelled more than I have in the last year,  he's had cataract surgery and bought a bunch of flashy clothes.  What's this dude's magic lantern?rimas.jpg.b86fee9a9eef8107b8a89c015cb76316.jpg

He is on the government tit.

All those months drifting around and sitting in Vietnam he was racking up monthly checks from Social Security, plus he could have a patron or two. I'm sure the eye surgery was covered by Medicare or Medicaid. I don't think it's very expensive and it's a big improvement.

Flights are pretty cheap right now between Seattle and Hawaii or Alaska, but he could have friends that are spotting him a ticket here and there.