• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Lochnerian Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BravoBravo said:

Rimas's FB page is scrubbed ...most recent post is May 2016.....poofff gone like a ...

Well isn't that interesting. He was there just a few days ago. I wonder if all us undesirables from here have been blocked.

4 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

I think so..once he had his cataract surgery done and he could actually see how vast and  dangerous ocean was he began to have second thoughts 

Your assuming he can think. Nice motorhome pix:)

I get emails from Cruising World from time to time.  This afternoon I received one with the subject heading:

Heading to the Bahamas? + Landfall in the Marquesas

When I was skimming my inbox, I first thought of Rimas, setting off for the Bahamas but ending up in a whole 'nother ocean and hemisphere. 

• 2 weeks later...

Warm greetings from the garden island of Kauai ! One of the most beautiful island on the planet !
I am really proud living in this a beautiful tropical island .
The first time discovered in 1990 this island super beautiful everywhere .
Cheers & enjoy.

image.png

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Son of a Sailor said:

Warm greetings from the garden island of Kauai ! One of the most beautiful island on the planet !
I am really proud living in this a beautiful tropical island .
The first time discovered in 1990 this island super beautiful everywhere .
Cheers & enjoy.

image.png

Thanks for keeping us up to date

17 minutes ago, cosmicsedso said:

Indeed we do. I pay for mine...

But then dosen't Rimas? He is no different than any other entertainer and if they are entitled to monetary compansation for their gifts to humanity why isnt Rimas?

Just now, bfloyd4445 said:

But then dosen't Rimas? He is no different than any other entertainer and if they are entitled to monetary compansation for their gifts to humanity why isnt Rimas?

Rimas entertains by accident.

11 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

If you read the history of many entertainers you will learn some of their careers began by accident as well. John Wayne for one

And John Wayne’s acting was as proficient as Rimas’s sailing.

:-)

13 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

And John Wayne’s acting was as proficient as Rimas’s sailing.

:-)

I liked some of his movies but your right he was the same in them all kinda like a record stuck in a track

13 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

I liked some of his movies but your right he was the same in them all kinda like a record stuck in a track

David Spade has a great bit on acting. It begins "People ask me if acting is easy.  Ummmmm....yes." He goes on to point out that it's the only gig where people get voted to be "at the top" within a year of getting started. That doesn't happen in the NBA. 

But going back to your point about Rimas. If I am understanding you right, you are saying that in an esoteric way, grifters deserve the gains they glean based on the quality of their schtick....

I've been mute for a long time, but isn't this the longest time span that Rimas has done without embarking on a voyage since his initial venture, the Alaskan CESURA lawndarting epic?

I suspect his near death from starvation/dehydration (according to his Vietnamese rescuers) on the MIMSY has shocked him into swallowing the anchor. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Big Bob said:

Is anyone still friends with him on facebook. He un friended me a while back and I cant even see his page anymore. For all I can tell he has left facebook.

He unfriended me a couple times. I sent him messages and info on cheap boats. He refriended me, but requested that I not post. I didn't, but a few months ago, I was blocked. Some have posted recent FB posts here, so I assume he is still active. I suspect someone else is moderating his FB page and deleting us who are on S.A. Too bad, I had some leads on some cheap boats.

Rimas just posted more old pictures recalling his past drifts. Nothing about future drifting unless it was in the replies. He has mostly just been posting Hawaii pictures and really anyone could be posting them, but I don't know why anyone else would bother. He does reply to some of his fans, but mostly just more old pictures

He unfriended me years ago but I have been following him so I can see his posts but not comment

2 hours ago, Volkeno said:

Rimas just posted more old pictures recalling his past drifts. Nothing about future drifting unless it was in the replies. He has mostly just been posting Hawaii pictures and really anyone could be posting them, but I don't know why anyone else would bother. He does reply to some of his fans, but mostly just more old pictures

He unfriended me years ago but I have been following him so I can see his posts but not comment

I am blocked. I cannot see anything about him. 

On 2/11/2020 at 3:27 PM, cosmicsedso said:

I got blocked about 10000 posts ago!

He never liked being told anything. Ignorance is bliss

I've noticed that he only likes flattery, if you offer any constructive criticism he kicks you out.

• 3 weeks later...

Rimas just posted the video Shannon made of him leaving Oak Harbor 5 years ago, but I found Rimas himself has a YouTube channel with 82 subscribers.

I don't remember if we have watched these before, so here is one from the last trip

3 hours ago, Volkeno said:

Rimas just posted the video Shannon made of him leaving Oak Harbor 5 years ago, but I found Rimas himself has a YouTube channel with 82 subscribers.

I don't remember if we have watched these before, so here is one from the last trip

I have never seen the video thanks for posting. So he was born 12/22/1951 he is 69. This must have been made before his rescue by the Vietnamese fishermen?

5 minutes ago, bfloyd4445 said:

I have never seen the video thanks for posting. So he was born 12/22/1951 he is 69. This must have been made before his rescue by the Vietnamese fishermen?

Yes he was still drifting north towards Okinawa before the wind took the boat to the beach in China and he jumped to the Vietnamese boat

14 minutes ago, Volkeno said:

Yes he was still drifting north towards Okinawa before the wind took the boat to the beach in China and he jumped to the Vietnamese boat

Thats what i thought. That voyage would have been enough to put the fear of God in anyone and discourage future voyages. Now he sails via starbucks and  or the airlines

5 hours ago, Volkeno said:

1 hour ago, bfloyd4445 said:

Thats what i thought. That voyage would have been enough to put the fear of God in anyone and discourage future voyages. Now he sails via starbucks and  or the airlines

Another sales pitch asking for sponsorship. Nothing new here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 7:27 PM, Jim F. said:

Today I heard from a mutual friend that Rimas is in Riga Latvia---anyone know anything about that?

Since he blocked me from Facebook, I have no idea what he maybe up to. Maybe one of his Facebook lady friends convinced him to visit. Kind of a dicey thing for international travel now. You could find yourself stranded or quarantined. 

Just wondering. Is it possible to swallow the anchor if you've never set one and have lost every one ever given to you?

I can't remember for sure if someone set the anchor for him in San Francisco bay.

5 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Just wondering. Is it possible to swallow the anchor if you've never set one and have lost every one ever given to you?

I can't remember for sure if someone set the anchor for him in San Francisco bay.

think he was on a mooring bouy and the rode broke

On 3/22/2020 at 11:11 AM, Autonomous said:

I think Jean anchored the boat in Richardson Bay for Rimas. Rimas made several videos of himself running the motor in neutral during windy days, but apparently never ventured up to the pointy end to see how things were going. Once he lost the anchor he drifted off and was rescued once or twice before they tied him to a dock. When told he had to pay to be tied to the dock he was flushed out to sea and wound up in Monterrey, where he again escaped the tab by getting rescued in Hawaii.  Those were probably among the most fun months after the SJ24 voyages

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Volkeno said:

I think Jean anchored the boat in Richardson Bay for Rimas. Rimas made several videos of himself running the motor in neutral during windy days, but apparently never ventured up to the pointy end to see how things were going. Once he lost the anchor he drifted off and was rescued once or twice before they tied him to a dock. When told he had to pay to be tied to the dock he was flushed out to sea and wound up in Monterrey, where he again escaped the tab by getting rescued in Hawaii.  Those were probably among the most fun months after the SJ24 voyages

I know it's been a long time and he has had several excursions into the Pacific, so it is hard to keep track of them....BUT, for the record

After Monterrey he bypassed Hawaii (yet again) and ended up getting a tow (how else?) into Saipan.  

From there, against all odds he deftly defied death dodging Texas Reef (hows that for an alliteration).  

I've been wrong before, declared him dead or never to return to the sea, but was surprisingly wrong.   In spite of his lack of anchoring skills I'll stick my neck out and once more state he's swallowed the anchor; no more voyaging for Rimas.  He's too old and in poor health, and has somehow established a FaceBook clientele support network that combined with his meager SS check allows him to couch surf till kingdom come, including airline flights when his welcome has worn out.

In a way I'm jealous; he turned nothing ridiculousness voyaging into a retirement plan by playing the social media game.  I worked my ass off and am retired,  but  am surviving in a hovel in a dreary place while Rimas is in a Hawaiian paradise attended to by errant  sycophants.

All hail Rimas!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

In today's FB post, Rimas mentioned his book and said he will sail again and reposted a picture of him deploying his life raft after water got in the boat, and then losing the life raft because it wasn't well attached to the boat. I had completely forgotten about the life raft. It was in 2014.

I think I have heard about the book before. I don't know if he is thinking about it, writing (dictating), or has done any of it. I think Jean was going to get him to write a book.

Rimas calls it the greatest adventure in American History.

None of his followers asked anything about the book or more sailing adventures. They posted pictures of coffee, sailing, sunsets and flowers. Rimas posted pictures of himself drinking coffee and someone sailing and flowers.

On 3/23/2020 at 2:30 PM, Volkeno said:

Flushed....love it, and thats what its like there when the rivers are full with an outgoing tide. Trouble is the flush wasn't strong enough

So, I was reading these articles in this week's Science about how the fossil record shows that both rats and monkeys separately floated across the Atlantic from Africa to South America, millions of years ago.  On log rafts or something.  And the whole time, for some reason, I just couldn't help thinking of Rimas...

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6487/136/tab-article-info

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6487/194/tab-article-info

• Like 1
4 hours ago, toddster said:

So, I was reading these articles in this week's Science about how the fossil record shows that both rats and monkeys separately floated across the Atlantic from Africa to South America, millions of years ago.  On log rafts or something.  And the whole time, for some reason, I just couldn't help thinking of Rimas...

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6487/136/tab-article-info

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6487/194/tab-article-info

So, you think rimas evoled from a monkey....or was it the rat? Wiki claims new world monkeys are the result of primates living on the part of africa that broke off 40 million years ago to become south america.

Well... sort of.  Imagine that if there were still an undiscovered continent out there. It could end up getting populated by Rimas-like creatures.  

Much in the way that Earth was settled by Golgafrinchans, according to Douglas Adams. With all of the resulting consequences.

Or perhaps... Larry Niven postulated that "good luck" might be a psionic power.  Such that when reproductive rights on a crowded Earth are governed by a lottery system, the unintended result of breeding six generations of lottery winners will be dimwitted, lazy, but very successful super-humans like Teela Brown.   

3 hours ago, toddster said:

Well... sort of.  Imagine that if there were still an undiscovered continent out there. It could end up getting populated by Rimas-like creatures.  

Much in the way that Earth was settled by Golgafrinchans, according to Douglas Adams. With all of the resulting consequences.

Or perhaps... Larry Niven postulated that "good luck" might be a psionic power.  Such that when reproductive rights on a crowded Earth are governed by a lottery system, the unintended result of breeding six generations of lottery winners will be dimwitted, lazy, but very successful super-humans like Teela Brown.   

With Rimas there is a semblance of reality. The question being of whose reality, or maybe it must first be determined if reality itself is not a fictional character?

4 hours ago, toddster said:

I guess good luck depends on whether you are the windshield or the bug.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, bfloyd4445 said:

So, you think rimas evoled from a monkey....or was it the rat? Wiki claims new world monkeys are the result of primates living on the part of africa that broke off 40 million years ago to become south america.

I assure you, I had nothing to do with creating Rimas. 

• Like 1
On 4/11/2020 at 3:56 PM, Monkey said:

I assure you, I had nothing to do with creating Rimas. 

Well if you didn't, who did?

You don't think any of use were responsible do you?

Maybe spntaneous generation?  Could Riams be the proof of the concept. The ancient were not alwayts wrong.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 1:12 AM, Volkeno said:

In today's FB post, Rimas mentioned his book and said he will sail again and reposted a picture of him deploying his life raft after water got in the boat, and then losing the life raft because it wasn't well attached to the boat. I had completely forgotten about the life raft. It was in 2014.

I think I have heard about the book before. I don't know if he is thinking about it, writing (dictating), or has done any of it. I think Jean was going to get him to write a book.

Rimas calls it the greatest adventure in American History.

None of his followers asked anything about the book or more sailing adventures. They posted pictures of coffee, sailing, sunsets and flowers. Rimas posted pictures of himself drinking coffee and someone sailing and flowers.

A Book? Found poetry I hope

On 2/10/2020 at 2:16 AM, Great White said:
On 2/9/2020 at 11:38 PM, Big Bob said:

Is anyone still friends with him on facebook. He un friended me a while back and I cant even see his page anymore. For all I can tell he has left facebook.

He unfriended me a couple times. I sent him messages and info on cheap boats. He refriended me, but requested that I not post. I didn't, but a few months ago, I was blocked. Some have posted recent FB posts here, so I assume he is still active. I suspect someone else is moderating his FB page and deleting us who are on S.A. Too bad, I had some leads on some cheap boats.

He seems to be down to 9 friends.

12 hours ago, Steganographic Tom said:

He seems to be down to 9 friends.

I can access that page with 9 friends. But be careful, that seems to be a duplicate account and is not his regular one. If that is all you can find, then you too have probably been blocked. There used to be about 5 different pages for him.

• Like 1
On 3/24/2020 at 3:28 PM, 12 metre said:

I know it's been a long time and he has had several excursions into the Pacific, so it is hard to keep track of them....BUT, for the record

Has anyone made a wiki page with a timeline of all this? Seems like a productive quarantine activity and a worthwhile contribution to future generations.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:27 PM, Jim F. said:

Today I heard from a mutual friend that Rimas is in Riga Latvia---anyone know anything about that?

That's where my dad was born...