Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

I thought he learned to sail to windward and rig a tiller-main sheet system last week?

Did he forget already?

....there was ,,,at best,,,,some speculation that he had maintained a course slightly above beam reach for a moment or two.

...to say he sailed upwind is rather a large stretch,,,

. ......personally I think he let go of the helm as a position was 'pinged' :mellow:

I'm not a Rimas supporter but what makes anyone think he's a con artist and would otherwise end up bumming boose and spare change? Is there a history of alcoholism I don't know about? Wouldn't he hav packed the boat full of liquor if he was? And then we're slamming Kiribati as a shithole. I could find a negative spin on anyone's location. It's about the journey anyways. He never said e was going to go to Kiritimati and spend the rest of his life there. Way too overly harsh.

I'm really not a supporter, but I think I'm detecting a little frustration and jealousy that people have repeatedly said he can't do it and yet he has.

....I think it's only been myself who's speculated about vodka.....the only explanation I can grasp sometimes for some of his 'decision making' :mellow:

. ...'it's about the journey' indeed :lol:

I don't know about his past but when I met him in Sausalito this year he did not drink alcohol.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

Even Rimas can manage this anchorage at Kiritimati. It is off the main docks. The lagoon is only for small boats.

You can read the Pardey's account of sailing the dinghy int the lagoon here. http://www.landlpardey.com/Where/2008/October.html

The picture is the Pardey's anchored off the shore, with a swell reducing device deployed.

Hmm. How do you get ashore without a dinghy? Swim?

Part of Rimas' difficulty with texting is no doubt an artifact of the way the rocker-switch is used to select chars one-at-a-time from the screen. Anyone who has done much of that knows how easy it is to get in a few incorrect chars.

Yes, Hot Rod's communication suffers from the same problem

To eat a butter cookie you have to take your hand off the tiller - and drift.

See yellow dot. Target is near W lower left.

post-18173-0-94549200-1414470805_thumb.jpg

Still in NECC - just.

post-18173-0-16925900-1414470910_thumb.jpg

I guess that when he steers he can claw to windward. He is getting south. But he hasn't made it yet.

I'm guessing that between not being a native English speaker, and the imprecision of using the text function, we have very little idea what he's actually doing. A week or two ago he was low on food. Apparently. Now we see he's still got some good stuff. My take is he still must have some food, just not real desirable snacks, and he can see the end of the coffee.

Per FB, he may be just halfway thru his stores.

He didn't have fishing gear, then he lost all three of his rigs.

Now we think he's sailing under jib alone where we previously thought he was drifting.

He is generally upbeat. He sure as hell doesn't sound like he's even close to dire straits.

The language issue is greater than we think.

I'm guessing that between not being a native English speaker, and the imprecision of using the text function, we have very little idea what he's actually doing. A week or two ago he was low on food. Apparently. Now we see he's still got some good stuff. My take is he still must have some food, just not real desirable snacks, and he can see the end of the coffee.

Per FB, he may be just halfway thru his stores.

He didn't have fishing gear, then he lost all three of his rigs.

Now we think he's sailing under jib alone where we previously thought he was drifting.

He is generally upbeat. He sure as hell doesn't sound like he's even close to dire straits.

The language issue is greater than we think.

In literary terms, what we have here is an unreliable narrator.

Well - no.

I think we thought he was flying everything - better to catch the prevailing breeze.

Question is trim - that, he don't got.

Well - no.

I think we thought he was flying everything - better to catch the prevailing breeze.

Yeah, both his mains are toast so he's only got the jib to work with. I got that straight from Shannon over the weekend. He says its been difficult getting straight answers from him but has confirmed just one jib up and No main.

......bliss is finding more cookies

. ......announcing the last cookie?......a desperate plea. :huh:

Hah! OK, you're right about that one.

Still, I'm not worried about him. When the cookies run out, I still have LOTS of other food. The only things that would run out prior to cookies would be chocolate and coffee. If he's at all like me, he has lots of food.

Then again, I don't store oats in paper even in an air-conditioned house...

From Facebook:

Rimas had enough food to last him about 6-8 months. I packed him on the way out. He just does not look around his boat much. He also had fishing gear (which he says he lost). Food should not have been his issue. I suspected water to be but he said he has been using rain. I communicate with him threw his tracker. I will survey his situation soon. I'm steering him to Kiribati, if he listens.

It's going to be great when he gets hungry enough to find that fishing gear. I'd expect he has a reef growing on the bottom and lots of fish using his boat for shade. He may find out just how apeshit a 20 lb Dorado goes when you pull it aboard green. The resulting Delorme description would be hilarious. Hope he lucks out and manages not to hurt himself. Again.

He's going to make it to Christmas Island. Nothing will stop America's sailor! At his pace he is what-- anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks away?

......he should make it by ........christmas

. .......the gift that keeps on giving! :mellow:

....any idea where I can send his giftwrapped fish-hook?

As their apparent exasperation grows, we're now getting some reliable information from the two guys on FB. And thanks to you folks that are relaying that info. As many have noted, R seems to be playing to the crowd of FB readers rather than to any crowd of boaters like us. Cannot guess why he'd ignore advice from his outfitters other than he thinks he has a better handle on the situation. And apparently he does. When I access the tracker data and zoom out, it appears he's made incredibly slow, yet more or less steady progress SW.

The new info changes my thinking somewhat. That he can apparently sit there, hour after hour, week after week, month after month, and not be curious enough to take inventory, or fashion a "mainsail" out of the two toasted ones, or fish, or ...? is troublesome. I've never believed he couldn't sail the boat simply because when a sail is flapping it's life away, anyone will experiment and try to trim it just for peace and quiet ... "lessee here, wot if I pull this string that's slamming up n down?"

Given enough time, monkeys with typewriters can write like Shakespeare; I just don't think it's possible to sit thru three or four voyages and be so dull that he didn't fuck around enuff to learn how to sail a bit once he lost the engine.

Wish we could get our "friends" at the NSA to post a sat photo as a sit report. Maybe he prefers to use the mains as a boom tent.

"America's sailor" indeed; when I become king, any naturalized citizen who files for welfare or commits ANY kinda crime gets deported. Too fucking bad and too fucking sad.

.....monkeys indeed .......it really makes one wonder :mellow:

......exasperation?....I'll bet some growing concern,,,after giving the Delorme pop bottle to the monkey Ineptune,,providing food,,,flying to hawaii and re-rigging the boat,,,,and the tow out to sea(?).......one has to wonder if perhaps they have a few regrets?? :unsure:

.....what happens if this whole thing meets it's demise goes pear shaped......and a family member reads this? :o

.....it seems the -only- thing Rimas did on his own was the initial purchase!?...but I wonder about that too! :huh:

And now we realize that Rimas is like a floating gift box. Say he washes ashore at Fanning - he is like a provision boat.

He has got so much shit in there he could quite literally float all the way to Japan.

The only reason for aiming at Kiritmati is to restock cookies and coffee! The necessities - he has been living the dream...

I guess we must postpone the cremation...

Well - no.

Yeah, both his mains are toast so he's only got the jib to work with. I got that straight from Shannon over the weekend. He says its been difficult getting straight answers from him but has confirmed just one jib up and No main.

What's the rush?

That damn boom just bangs around and disturbs my thoughts.

Care for a cookie?

What's the rush?

That damn boom just bangs around and disturbs my thoughts.

Care for a cookie?

...at least we can rule-out the concern of concussions

. ........errr,no thanks ....the last one's still stuck in my teeth :mellow:

Dang what a goof I made in post #3355. The pressures of this epic adventure are getting to me or maybe it's the booze.

Here is my actual "BC for King" press release photo followed by Rimas walking ashore somewheres west of Suez:

post-67808-0-41100600-1414514876_thumb.jpg

post-67808-0-44525400-1414515034_thumb.jpg

.....monkeys indeed .......it really makes one wonder :mellow:

......exasperation?....I'll bet some growing concern,,,after giving the Delorme pop bottle to the monkey Ineptune,,providing food,,,flying to hawaii and re-rigging the boat,,,,and the tow out to sea(?).......one has to wonder if perhaps they have a few regrets?? :unsure:

.....what happens if this whole thing meets it's demise goes pear shaped......and a family member reads this? :o

I don't know but I would think the family grateful.

I think they have pretty much guaranteed his survival.

He even has fish hooks!

A narcissist accomplishes an ordinary feat, say sailing from California to the equator, and thinks its worthy of coverage by CNN and Fox News.

Its funny you say that because some of his followers on FB were asking when he lands in the South Pacific if they will be able to watch the story on CNN or FOX News. I have no idea if they got this idea from Rimas, but they seemed to think it was that level of accomplishment. Pretty funny.

It is funny, but don't forget how Reid Stowe and his guys got some of the mainstream press to cover his driftathon as an historic event. The press knows very little about sailing and it is crazy how press releases about adventure or man versus the elements can get coverage for very mundane "accomplishments."

Ok, yeah, I am not qualified to make a diagnosis, but this does paint a picture, doesn't it? He is eating a butter cookie, talking about how many miles "to go" to his destination while heading in exactly the opposite direction. The best one could say is that at least he isn't going the wrong way very fast.

Ok, maybe not "exact" wrong direction, but wrong enough.

.....JEEZ...he can't even go the wrong way properly :angry:

. .........oh,waidaminute :huh:

How do YOU know where he's going?

A favorite scene of mine.

At least he's headed in the right direction now.

Rimas Meleshyus
Tue Oct 28 2014
2:33 PM
Hi from the sea. Day 80 at sea. San juan 24 very close to the christmas island belong to kiribati only 348 miles away. At night it was good sailing.
Speed: 4.4 mph
Heading: SW
Elev: 28 ft
Lat: 4.902133
Lon: -153.350433

He appears to be bee-lining it for Kirimati.

Wonder if his placemat world map shows that the east side of the Island is called the Bay or Wrecks?!?

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Kiribati/@1.8729773,-157.3076695,11z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x65647c91c2028703:0x84327d040152c307

If he hits it, it can be re-named Bay of Fiberglass Dust.

He appears to be bee-lining it for Kirimati.

Wonder if his placemat world map shows that the east side of the Island is called the Bay or Wrecks?!?

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Kiribati/@1.8729773,-157.3076695,11z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x65647c91c2028703:0x84327d040152c307

If he hits it, it can be re-named Bay of Fiberglass Dust.

….and wet oats

Rimas Meleshyus

Tue Oct 28 2014

Hi from the sea. Day 80 at sea. San juan 24 very close to the christmas island belong to kiribati only 348 miles away. At night it was good sailing.

And if conditions hold he will get progressively lifted - and with a speedy following current.

It is a mistake to bet against him - but I am still thinking Fanning as his target, although he doesn't know it yet.

Rimas on yellow - Kiritimati above W.

post-18173-0-39884900-1414535756_thumb.jpg

post-18173-0-12562800-1414535836_thumb.jpg

Rimas Meleshyus
Tue Oct 28 2014

So is he now sailing at night? Or does he mean that it was good sailing at night for those who weren't tucked up their bunks?

And the beat goes on.

Rimas Meleshyus
Tue Oct 28 2014
3:53 PM
I totally fell in love with ocean its beautiful every morning i am listeng country music from australia the evenings news from japan in japanese language
Speed: 2.5 mph
Elev: 21 ft
Lat: 4.860248
Lon: -153.385208

And the beat goes on.

Rimas Meleshyus
Tue Oct 28 2014

I totally fell in love with ocean its beautiful every morning i am listeng country music from australia the evenings news from japan in japanese language

.......oh nice!...he'll be able to listen to,and understand all the radio reports of the great great adventure :rolleyes:

And the beat goes on.

Rimas Meleshyus

Tue Oct 28 2014

.......oh nice!...he'll be able to listen to,and understand all the radio reports of the great great adventure :rolleyes:

He is a LOT more upbeat than I would be after cookies and coffee were gone. Maybe ignorance is bliss even without cookies. Hard to imagine bliss without cookies. Or mornings without coffee.

Well - no.

Most likely it's not the sails that are toast but the slip knot he tied the head of the mainsl' to the halyard with his butter cookie fingers has been pulled thru the mast head... thats much more of a Rimus maneuver than two sails rendered completely useless without even a rag of bit to fly

Rimas Meleshyus

Tue Oct 28 2014

He has learned to sail at night now?

There may be hope for him yet........

Well - no.

Most likely it's not the sails that are toast but the slip knot he tied the head of the mainsl' to the halyard with his butter cookie fingers has been pulled thru the mast head... thats much more of a Rimus maneuver than two sails rendered completely useless without even a rag of bit to fly
I can assure you, I am not tied to his mainsail, I'm safe at home in Ontario.

In his radio interview he explained to the interviewer that he could repair all the sails by himself.

Also i like it very much tahiti hawaii samoa songs and i love to listening violin and piano everything on my short radio i have it on the boat.

Continuing to win the Happiest Sailor Competition.

He does seem happy, and lucid, even. I have said a few critical things about Rimas, but I will openly admit that I would not be in a good mood after 80 days on my SJ24.

...wow,,,that's the chattiest he's -ever- been!...3 mess ages in 5 hours!! :o:o

Rimas Meleshyus
Tue Oct 28 2014
4:43 PM
Also i like it very much tahiti hawaii samoa songs and i love to listening violin and piano everything on my short radio i have it on the boat.
Lat: 4.755878
Lon: -153.4559

Hmmm, shortwave....

...wow,,,that's the chattiest he's -ever- been!...3 mess ages in 5 hours!! :o:o

Rimas Meleshyus

Tue Oct 28 2014

4:43 PM

Lat: 4.755878

Lon: -153.4559

He does seem happy, and lucid, even. I have said a few critical things about Rimas, but I will openly admit that I would not be in a good mood after 80 days on my SJ24.
I am beginning to wonder why he is visiting Kiribati. Good for him - why not?

But given he likely has six months of food aboard - why not just bump along to Samoa?

But given he likely has six months of food aboard - why not just bump along to Samoa?

His handlers have been pushing him to go to Kiritimati after his initial "I am running out of food" message. I question whether he will find the support they are looking for at Kiritimati. And I still think he will be swept past.

I agree, if he has enough food, head south and sail to Samoa. What's it going to take? Another 50-60 days?

His handlers have been pushing him to go to Kiritimati after his initial "I am running out of food" message. I question whether he will find the support they are looking for at Kiritimati. And I still think he will be swept past.

I agree, if he has enough food, head south and sail to Samoa. What's it going to take? Another 50-60 days?

Except his handlers personally stowed 8 months supply of food aboard - plus fish hooks - something's fishy.

Handlers - where can I get one of those?

I don't know then. Jean did tell him to go to Hilo and Rimas refused. Maybe Rimas is insisting that he wants to go to Kiritimati and Jean is just giving him the headings? This whole thing seems strange. It was my understanding that Rimas does not have any charts. So it becomes remote control. I wonder if Rimas has a waypoint programmed into his GPS or if he is just sailing a heading? Or wear ever the winds take him? I will say that his current track has been pointing toward Kiritimati.

So, tonight at dinner, my son asked me about "that guy who is sailing around the world in the boat like ours." I said he had eaten his last cookie. But then my younger daughter started in with more intense interrogation. Long story short, they aren't buying it. They refuse to believe that anyone would try to sail around the world without learning how to sail first. To quote my son, "It only takes a few hours." They are utterly unimpressed by the SJ24 aspect, but mortally offended by the lack of things like charts. To be clear, this is a nine and 12 year old who have barely one summer of sailing experience, so this is just innate common sense. Out of the mouths of babes.

In his radio interview he explained to the interviewer that he could repair all the sails by himself.

But if he lost the halyard...

I doubt anyone expects him capable of retrieving it.

esp. if that "slip knot" is all the way back in Ontario !! HAHA! no.. prob. went like this... He drops the sail at night to sleep ... the shackle works itself loose as the halyard is swinging around ... and bang! in the morning he sees it up top... then ... " Oh lose mainsail I no other can do"..then starts sailing with just the jib... " Oh easy this not why I before do this like".. then cookies and coffee and naked photos of old Nat Geo Islanders and ... now..."Oh Songs nice hear Tahiti Samoa I love sea"

348nm out?

This could be weeks!

Wonder if he goes straight into the beach this time or just teases the entrance a few times first like Cali.

Oh the suspense!

Rimas has his GPS set to Statute miles which means he is also doing MPH not knots; it's all the same but landlubberly in my book.

348nm out?

This could be weeks!

Wonder if he goes straight into the beach this time or just teases the entrance a few times first like Cali.

Oh the suspense!

Rimas has his GPS set to Statute miles which means he is also doing MPH not knots; it's all the same but landlubberly in my book.

It's not the same if you have a chart, since a scale of miles is helpfully printed along the edges in the form of latitude.

A nautical mile is the length it is for a logical reason. A statute mile is the length it is because of how big some king's foot was a long time ago, or something.

Of course, in Rimas' case, it makes little difference and it's funnier if he uses statute miles just because it's so non-nautical to do so. So all you do-gooders who want to educate him and make him do things the proper way, stifle yourselves please. Entertainment is in progress here.

Update from Jean on Facebook re the long-lost fishing gear:

Ranis had a chum line that you drag behind your boat

I told you learning to fish was harder than learning to sail. I've been fishing all my life and never heard of such a thing. I use chum to attract fish to a stationary boat, not a moving one.

Then I use other stuff to actually catch the fish, or at least lose bait and/or lures trying.

I wonder whether he has other stuff? There's no real need for a chum line anyway. A slow moving boat will attract fish, even if it has a clean bottom. More if the bottom provides a meal.

So, tonight at dinner, my son asked me about "that guy who is sailing around the world in the boat like ours." I said he had eaten his last cookie. But then my younger daughter started in with more intense interrogation. Long story short, they aren't buying it. They refuse to believe that anyone would try to sail around the world without learning how to sail first. To quote my son, "It only takes a few hours." They are utterly unimpressed by the SJ24 aspect, but mortally offended by the lack of things like charts. To be clear, this is a nine and 12 year old who have barely one summer of sailing experience, so this is just innate common sense. Out of the mouths of babes.

I don't know then. Jean did tell him to go to Hilo and Rimas refused. Maybe Rimas is insisting that he wants to go to Kiritimati and Jean is just giving him the headings? This whole thing seems strange. It was my understanding that Rimas does not have any charts. So it becomes remote control. I wonder if Rimas has a waypoint programmed into his GPS or if he is just sailing a heading? Or wherever the winds take him? I will say that his current track has been pointing toward Kiritimati.

I have to agree with the kids, I'm not buying it either. As we piece together the inconsistencies with new info available from the FB "handlers," it appears that whatever was thought to be fact for the first couple of months was apparently just assumptions we've all made by attempting to interpret the messages, and doing so erroneously it seems.

We thought he lost the three fishing rigs to fish but it now seems he's "lost" them in the bowels of the ship ... er ... the piles of stuff in the forepeak, likely under the wadded-up garlic toasted mainsail, along with the dehydrated French fries, the German chocolate cake, the extra tin of cookies from the Cosco in Copenhagen, a crate of Columbian coffee donated by Juan Valdez, the Garmin loaded with worldwide charts provided by We$t Marine, weather fax gizmo, shortwave and SSB, the EPIRB, spare anchors and chain, plus a fucking partridge in a pear tree. Rimas has been eating the pears, and that partridge is looking pretty good, and should taste great after eating all those oats.

Oh yeah, and EIGHTY-FIVE GALLONS OF WATER!!!!! Let's say the boat, a weekend racer, has a built-in 10 gal tank, so that leaves (15) 5 gal jugs of water stowed. WHERE? All this powered by a jib. Good thing his course is downhill.

We really have no idea what's up here beyond the plain facts of the matter: he is taking an all-expenses-paid trip to the South Seas on the coconut milk run like thousands before him. BFD. It's been done, and better, by teenage girls. And the Bumfuchels. Raise yer hands if you've made the same trip:

post-67808-0-16451700-1414583460.jpg

It is ironic, that Rimas, the panhandler, will make landfall on an island that is supported by foreign aid for everything from the cargo ship visit to the water supply.

http://www.sea.edu/spice_atlas/kiritimati_atlas/Kiritimati_Christmas_Island_The_People

https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus

Blue Crab, I think you're right. It would be a safe bet everything on the boat is piled up in one huge disorganized mess. Anything not on top of the pile, in immediate view, is "lost" or doesn't exist as far as Rimas is concerned. We've seen all too many occurances of him "discovering" something on the boat he didn't know he had. Hell, there might be a good mainsail buried on the bottom for all we know.

Yes. Obviously bullshit. Anybody with half a brain could assemble a useable mainsail from the pieces of the two trashed ones. Might not be pretty, but would move the boat. He's been more or less becalmed for 3 weeks, more than enough time to handsew up something. On a race to Mexico many years ago, we blew the only spinnaker we had out of the tapes... both clews ripped. A woman on the crew and I spent about 2 days hand-sewing it back together. Ugly as all hell, but we were able to use it the last 2 days downwind in light air when we really needed it. It's not rocket science.

I told you learning to fish was harder than learning to sail. I've been fishing all my life and never heard of such a thing. I use chum to attract fish to a stationary boat, not a moving one.

Then I use other stuff to actually catch the fish, or at least lose bait and/or lures trying.

I wonder whether he has other stuff? There's no real need for a chum line anyway. A slow moving boat will attract fish, even if it has a clean bottom. More if the bottom provides a meal.

further news from Facebook. Apparently, Rimas says the chum line broke in three places.

further news from Facebook. Apparently, Rimas says the chum line broke in three places.

How does he know? Wouldn't the line disappear astern after the first break? I suspect Rimas is just making excuses, and is simply too lazy to look for it under a mountain of crap in the cabin.
Rimas Meleshyus
Wed Oct 29 2014
11:06 AM
Hello all my friends from far far away. I am lucky to a little breeze here close to the equator not much windbut slowly sailing to the christmas island 300 mil
Speed: 3.7 mph
Heading: S
Lat: 4.129475
Lon: -153.670853

Re charts… I'm guessing he carries a handful of small scale charts covering the Pacific but not the dozens of large scale charts required for piloting into lagoons and harbours.

Kirimati will be a blob on his chart and he may well be going to rely on eyeball navigation and/or someone ashore giving him a description via the Delorme.

Yes. Obviously bullshit. Anybody with half a brain could assemble a useable mainsail from the pieces of the two trashed ones. Might not be pretty, but would move the boat. He's been more or less becalmed for 3 weeks, more than enough time to handsew up something. On a race to Mexico many years ago, we blew the only spinnaker we had out of the tapes... both clews ripped. A woman on the crew and I spent about 2 days hand-sewing it back together. Ugly as all hell, but we were able to use it the last 2 days downwind in light air when we really needed it. It's not rocket science.

I posted this before but all the photos I could see of his boat showed that he has no reef lines rigged in his mainsail.

All his posturing as a sailor with captain's hat and jacket when he doesn't know how to reeve a couple of reef lines or repair a mainsail is flaky.

Im pretty sure he is going to make it. From the passage weather reports on wind direction, hes reaching or broad reaching. The wind will hold its relative direction for the next few days according to forecast. He might have a little wind forward of the beam, but just barely forward. But it looks down hill from where he is to Kiritimati. I wish fox and cnn were there . We need a local reporter there. Aquatic cockroach.

i wonder what the Kiritimati chapter will hold for him? Will he have internet access? From one of the other boats reports, it was $6/hr, so that is out. i think he will have to update us from his Delorme.

Somebody reported $1,500 balance in his go fund me account?

I think he will take in the sights. Load up on some necessaries like coffee and cookie - then resume his journey triumphant.

And if he keeps South he should make it - seems like he is doing it...just don't sleep Rimas!

Rimas Meleshyus
Wed Oct 29 2014
3:31 PM
San juan 24 finaly reached of latitude 03 now to equator 180 miles and to the christmas island 293 miles to go. Its daily my routine regularly checking of boat
Lat: 3.993810
Lon: -153.727890

I think he will take in the sights. Load up on some necessaries like coffee and cookie - then resume his journey triumphant.

......too bad women are already warned not to walk around alone.

. ...I'm pretty sure he's ready to move on from his current GF :mellow:

post-3217-0-61772900-1414630147_thumb.jpgpost-3217-0-61772900-1414630147_thumb.jpg

Rimas Meleshyus
Wed Oct 29 2014

San juan 24 finaly reached of latitude 03 now to equator 180 miles and to the christmas island 293 miles to go. Its daily my routine regularly checking of boat

......it can -only- be good that he regularly checks if the boat is still there :mellow:

Rimas has a few obstacles to overcome before he can make that easy landfall in the lee of Kiritimati, beside the island, in sand. There is a dinghy dock off the only wharf [' and crane] in site he could even dock on, the SJ24 is s small. Luckily he has enough money from generous people, to be able to show means, and be allowed to stay up to 30 days.

However, Rimas still has to not get run over at night by fishing boats before that, as well as not get caught in one of these "Fish Aggregating Devices", as shown in this photo below.

There is also a current up to 3.5 knots to overcome as he rounds the island. You can really see it on the photos of the currents.

The island of Kiritimati is also "out' and Rimas could run into the island, GPS puts it 1.4 nm farther west than the charts. [Jimmy Cornell, World Cruising Routes, Seven Ed.}

post-105471-0-42996300-1414633204_thumb.jpg

Rimas Meleshyus

Wed Oct 29 2014

......it can -only- be good that he regularly checks if the boat is still there :mellow:

Is once a day regular enough on the high seas?