• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

Attention ! New Record ! 44 nm since last night.

44 nm to go to Pago Pago ! https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus

.....~75 miles in 22 hours= ~3.3 knot average....you don't find this uncustomary? :mellow:<_<

clean needs to get to pago pago asap and do an on the water report when our hero drifts in. this is breaking news, possibly the best and most vital story to happen to the sailing world in decades. and hes playing with day sailors. rimas is sooo going to be disappointed when he floats in.

....Rimas' timing seems impeccable for his impending role with Mapfre :)

Rimas Meleshyus

Sun Dec 7th, 201410:21:45 am

Good morning guys 120 days at sea. Fantastic guys last couple days tremendes progress thanks to the wind.very close to the island 49 miles only today or monday
Speed: 3.74 mph Heading: SSW Elevation: 34.32 ft Batt: Low Lat: -13.777328 Lon: -170.162901

Ok, I'm going to ask a stupid question here: What happens when he gets close enough to see all the inny outy parts of the island and can't tell which inny part is Pago Pago because he doesn't have a chart?

So he could arrive tonight if he continues his breakneck pace, but probably tomorrow morning....Er, wait. Does he still drop sails and drift at night? He said he no longer trusts sheet to tiller steering. That might be a problem if he gets close and decides it's sleepy time. Be a shame to go all that way and just wash up on the reef at 4:00 am while sleeping.

At least it would end this thread.

No, then the discussion starts on how such a great, great adventurer ended up aground.

Zoom in your car GPS Rimas and ask it "Mc Donalds Pago Pago".

Ok, I'm going to ask a stupid question here: What happens when he gets close enough to see all the inny outy parts of the island and can't tell which inny part is Pago Pago because he doesn't have a chart?

E

First he has to get there. He's about 30 mi away going 6 k heading SE. He needs to pass east of the island then turn right about 90 deg and head into the harbor mouth. The wind is supposed to be SE later which would be perfect if only he can get into the right place to make the turn. It is just before noon there so if he keeps that speed he should be able to enter the harbor in daylight. If you look at the chart it isn't all that simple. There's a recommended channel to follow in, reefs, a small island to avoid etc. I've always thought the handlers would arrange a tow. Meanwhile there is a small craft advisory now and wind and waves to pick up around 10 pm there. If the handlers can guide him through this into the harbor under his own power I'll ... Uh...be amazed and drink another beer. Any other thoughts on how this is going to play out?

Right now he is just making course to sail outside of Aunuu Island. To sail inside without an engine gives less room for error and puts him on a lee shore. I assume a tow would come earlier.

That is so much better than what I posted.

Ok, another stupid question: Is this towing thing common? I mean, I would be a bit nervous if my engine failed and I had to sail into my marina and into my slip, but sailing into a harbor and dropping anchor seems like a fundamental skill one would acquire before setting off to break world records. Is it something that people in am. Samoa are going to think is weird, or fairly common?

Ok, another stupid question: Is this towing thing common? I mean, I would be a bit nervous if my engine failed and I had to sail into my marina and into my slip, but sailing into a harbor and dropping anchor seems like a fundamental skill one would acquire before setting off to break world records. Is it something that people in am. Samoa are going to think is weird, or fairly common?

Not having the ability to enter/leave port is pure ineptitude, unless it were an emergency.

Rimas can't say his motor failed.

Not having the ability to enter/leave port is pure ineptitude, unless it were an emergency.

Rimas can't say his motor failed.

Ok, thanks. So the exchange between harbor master and Jean would have to involve Jean explaining that there wasn't any legitimate need for a tow. Perhaps he could say Rimas is more like a hazard to navagation, like a partially submerged container or something.

Chart is part of the problem. Rimas could see the Golden Gate. But still he could not sail through it.

Perhaps it's simple self preservation guiding his actions. He can more or less bump along in the intended direction - but has no ability to manage the boat in close* quarters. And he knows it.

At Christmas Island - and I suspect elsewhere - his goal will be to get close*, bob around, and wait for assistance.

It worked at Hilo and San Francisco. It didn't work at Christmas Island. And it really didn't work in the Aleutians.

*within sight of land

He is 32 nm away, it is 11 am local time and sunset is 6;42pm. I would say that is a valid question. My guess is Jean will hire a water taxi to tow him in.

Assuming no tow, I'd say that's a safe bet..

...I'm assuming Rimas is already under tow...how else can you explain 90 miles in the last 24 hours and recent speeds of 5 and 6 knots!?....that'd be amazing speeds for a SJ24 in optimal race trim.

...let alone the fact that he's likely in under 10knot breeze :mellow:<_<

Lat: -13.971530Lon: -170.299845

000.png

How can he have any personal satisfaction from this?

I imagine at this moment, he feels immense satisfaction. I'm curious to see if it wanes as he discovers CNN isn't waiting on the dock, and the papers couldn't care less who's shirts he wears.

Sun Dec 7th, 201410:21:45 am

Good morning guys 120 days at sea. Fantastic guys last couple days tremendes progress thanks to the wind.very close to the island 49 miles only today or monday

Wonder if he even knows he is being towed? Tow him out to sea, set him adrift, tow him back in and voila he is famous. It's fucking magic. Way to go Rimas. A true American hero.

He is 32 nm away, it is 11 am local time and sunset is 6;42pm. I would say that is a valid question. My guess is Jean will hire a water taxi to tow him in.

> Assuming no tow, I'd say that's a safe bet..

...I'm assuming Rimas is already under tow...how else can you explain 90 miles in the last 24 hours and recent speeds of 5 and 6 knots!?....that'd be amazing speeds for a SJ24 in optimal race trim.

000.png

Couch,

I thought that too… especially the 6 mph (5.2knot) speeds that have been showing. He never does those!

However, it's amazing to think someone may have headed out over 30 or 40 miles offshore to give him a tow.

I'm wondering if an obliging passing vessel has taken him in tow?

Either that or Jean got a bit spendy.

Really? You think he is being towed and just lying about it? That seems out of character. I realize that the whole "self-sufficient" thing is also false, but outright lying about being towed seems different to me.

>

> Assuming no tow, I'd say that's a safe bet..

>

000.png

Couch,

I thought that too… especially the 6 mph (5.2knot) speeds that have been showing. He never does those!

However, it's amazing to think someone may have headed out over 30 or 40 miles offshore to give him a tow.

I'm wondering if an obliging passing vessel has taken him in tow?

Either that or Jean got a bit spendy.

And there have been no pings from the Garmin for over two hrs. I didn't expect him to be picked up that far out. Kind of a meh ending.

Really? You think he is being towed and just lying about it? That seems out of character. I realize that the whole "self-sufficient" thing is also false, but outright lying about being towed seems different to me.

...I'm meant to believe he just learnt to sail :blink::o

. .........unless someone shows us a current chart with 3 knots going his way <_<

..of course if there's a 3kn current going SW,,and he's not being towed,,I guess that'll be pretty obvious soon too! :rolleyes:

...it's currently 2pm in Pago Pago...I wonder if our hero is ready for some 'savage love' tonight? :)

220px-Sopppos.jpg

And there have been no pings from the Garmin for over two hrs. I didn't expect him to be picked up that far out. Kind of a meh ending.

I think his delorme may be out of power. It says low battery on his pings for a while now.

...I'm meant to believe he just learnt to sail :blink::o

. .........unless someone shows us a current chart with 3 knots going his way :mellow:<_<

..of course if there's a 3kn current going SW,,and he's not being towed,,I guess that'll be pretty obvious soon too! :rolleyes:

Yeah, the sailing thing is out of character too, I'll give you that.

No one is going to run 50 miles out into the ocean to tow a $500 boat in. It would cost a fortune in any powerboat with that kind of range.

But the speed is otherwise inexplicable.

So the answer obviously has to do with extraterrestrial or paranormal stuff we don't know.

As if it was not already obvious that someone is looking after King Ineptune. Beached perfectly upright? Hurricanes help him instead of killing him?

Wacky aliens. Or whatever.

No one is going to run 50 miles out into the ocean to tow a $500 boat in. It would cost a fortune in any powerboat with that kind of range.

So the answer obviously has to do with extraterrestrial or paranormal stuff we don't know.

As if it was not already obvious that someone is looking after King Ineptune. Beached perfectly upright? Hurricanes help him instead of killing him?

....oh. silly. me. This whole story is inexplicable, why should that stop now!

. ......I'll take whack-a-mole Aliens for $20, Tom :)

Speed: 6.27mph Heading: SW

That's amazingly fast for Rimas. I don't think he's ever hit that kind of speed before. At this rate he could be in in 5 hours or so.

Either he has learned how to sail or he's getting a tow. I would bet that a cruising sailboat that just happened to be passing by tossed him a line. It's very difficult for a power boat to go that slow, not to mention using tons of fuel. A big sailboat could easily tow him in at that speed.

That's amazingly fast for Rimas. I don't think he's ever hit that kind of speed before. At this rate he could be in in 5 hours or so.

Either he has learned how to sail or he's getting a tow. I would bet that a cruising sailboat that just happened to be passing by tossed him a line. It's very difficult for a power boat to go that slow, not to mention using tons of fuel. A big sailboat could easily tow him in at that speed.

...mind you,the individual spots' can vary a fair bit,,but even going down a wave,,6+mph is pretty splendiferous,,,let alone the 3.8mph average for 24hrs.

. .......maybe he cut the dinghy loose! :lol:

Worse than that. He started doing over 4 mph over a hundred miles out. I suspect that is when he grabbed a tow (or found his own personal worm hole). Go you worm.

That is just tracker noise - in the last 8 hours he has done 26 miles. Still remarkably fast for him but probably not a tow.

That is just tracker noise - in the last 8 hours he has done 26 miles. Still remarkably fast for him but probably not a tow.

...still 85 miles/24hrs

...still 85 miles/24hrs

average 3.54knots.

Absolutely flying for Rimas; but still possible.

Maybe he cut the dinghy free and put up the main

I have no idea what it's like out in the ocean, but I regularly go 4 or 5 knots in wind of around 10-12 mph out in Bellingham Bay, without much effort. Of course, this is with a big Genoa, and I don't have an ecosystem on my bottom. In fact, in those conditions, I'm often trying to spill some wind.

(In a SJ24)

Rimas Meleshyus
Sun Dec 7th, 20147:53:15 pm

This is amercan samoa about 12 miles owbay i can see from the boat the sun here still in the sky san juan 24 finally raching the island welcome guys to samoa !
Speed: 5.00 mph Heading: SSW Elevation: 47.64 ft Batt: Low Lat: -14.199356 Lon: -170.511331

He's not there yet and 12 miles is a bare minimum distance for him to heave to at, especially when he id to windward.

if he heaves to now, he gets swept west. Now or never, he's gonna have to sail to windward, or he'll have to abort and sail to Aipa.

He's not there yet and 12 miles is a bare minimum distance for him to heave to at, especially when he id to windward.

if he heaves to now, he gets swept west. Now or never, he's gonna have to sail to windward, or he'll have to abort and sail to Aipa.

Quite right… I just had another look and I can see him having to pull his gear on even more to clear the eastern part of the island to weather. It looks tenuous if the breeze has a lot of south in it.

Quite right… I just had another look and I can see him having to pull his gear on even more to clear the eastern part of the island to weather. It looks tenuous if the breeze has a lot of south in it.

.....like this?......... http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-170.51,-14.19,512

He can barely manage to sail with the wind slightly fwd of the beam, and I doubt he has the sense to stay away from a lee shore. Touch and go, unless Jean is there with a powerboat on standby.

"Batt: Low" and getting dark. May have to wait till tomorrow to find out if this saga continues.

........Cockroaches don't Rimas won't die...nor will this story :mellow:

...when I think of what's going on in inner cities for those there are damned to having no imagination,,,

. .....I let out a big cheer for Rimas,,,,indeed!

Is he...

1. Floating well NW of the island, scratching his head

2. Sailing gallantly to windward, rounding Aunuu and setting himself up for a perfect downwind run directly in to port

3. Frantically trying to stay off the lee shore of am. Samoa, without actually pointing away from it

Is he...

2. Sailing gallantly to windward, rounding Aunuu and setting himself up for a perfect downwind run directly in to port

3. Frantically trying to stay off the lee shore of am. Samoa, without actually pointing away from it

4. Choking the chicken at sunset.

"Batt: Low" and getting dark. May have to wait till tomorrow to find out if this saga continues.

........Cockroaches don't Rimas won't die...nor will this story :mellow:

...when I think of what's going on in inner cities for those there are damned to having no imagination,,,

. .....I let out a big cheer for Rimas,,,,indeed!

I know right ? better than holding a sign at an offramp !

Is he...

4. Choking the chicken at sunset.

5. Frantically looking for a tow to save his bacon. (and chicken)