Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

I was reading Rimas Adrift and noticed this error. http://sailingfortuitous.com/rimas_adrift The proper story is below, from his Facebook profile he has not updated since 2013.

Here, the story starts to fall apart for me. Between Rimas's creative use of English, his often contradictory statements, additional messages posted by his handlers on Facebook, and a lot of conjecture by his followers and detractors, it's difficult to make sense of what happened next. I believe that he left from Puget Sound headed directly for Cape Horn on the southern tip of South America. He encountered tremendous storms somewhere off the coast of Mexico and lost some rigging, and for some reason diverted to Hawaii for repairs. He then sailed back to San Francisco, during which time he lost contact for several days, prompting another search and rescue event involving an HC-130, a Coast Guard ship, and the diversion of two cargo ships (4). He declined assistance and made it to northern California under his own power...then couldn't figure out how to get out of San Francisco Bay and eventually received a tow. I think he lost his engine, the dinghy that he was towing, all of his fishing gear, his life raft, and he ripped his sails, at which point he drifted helplessly into the Great Pacific Trash Vortex and started running out of food and water.

https://www.facebook.com/rimas.meleshyus/posts/226963714129202

he did not make it into San Francisco under his own power. he was towed into SF Bay by Jean

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

leave it to beeeeever Reemus to re-enforce the outside of the companionway... leave his sails uncovered and on deck not stowed ...most likely forever..in the tropical sun ...not check a damn thing I'm sure... There was a guy in Taiwan like that...had a J105 I think... never did jack about his sails then in a Taiwan to Okinawa race they posted this pic on their Facebook page FBYCpost-67665-0-58653100-1419569523_thumb.jpgpost-67665-0-44970100-1419569557_thumb.jpg

leave it to beeeeever Reemus to re-enforce the outside of the companionway... leave his sails uncovered and on deck not stowed ...most likely forever..in the tropical sun ...not check a damn thing I'm sure... There was a guy in Taiwan like that...had a J105 I think... never did jack about his sails then in a Taiwan to Okinawa race they posted this pic on their Facebook page FBYCattachicon.gif1010692_10202152650922694_3885470508214597672_n.jpgattachicon.gif10168071_10202152652482733_7121329974275598871_n.jpg

I bet Rimas could use a sail like that... trim to either side, doesn't matter, easy to furl & stow

Is that J-105 guy done with it?

FB- Doug

That's a nice looking sail! :)

leave it to beeeeever Reemus to re-enforce the outside of the companionway... leave his sails uncovered and on deck not stowed ...most likely forever..in the tropical sun ...not check a damn thing I'm sure... There was a guy in Taiwan like that...had a J105 I think... never did jack about his sails then in a Taiwan to Okinawa race they posted this pic on their Facebook page FBYCattachicon.gif1010692_10202152650922694_3885470508214597672_n.jpgattachicon.gif10168071_10202152652482733_7121329974275598871_n.jpg

Blue Crab, Oronoco

I remember Jean refitting the mainsheet.

It's probably just an optical illusion but I was wondering if the sheet was run to centerline in that picture or if it was run to the starboard member of a pair of double blocks mounted in the cockpit port and starboard. See pic.

The camera angle is probably just throwing me off.

post-115893-0-02421900-1419611807_thumb.png

His mainsheet goes to a double block in the center of the cockpit floor. If you look at what you've highlighted I think you'll see that you are highlighting where the lifelines visually intersect the mainsheet lower block from those camera angles.

I was reading Rimas Adrift and noticed this error. http://sailingfortuitous.com/rimas_adrift The proper story is below, from his Facebook profile he has not updated since 2013.

Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the entry, and hopefully it better represents what actually happened (or is at least close enough, given my copious caveats): http://sailingfortuitous.com/rimas_adrift

Alex ok, just the angle throwing me off then.

How about that boarding ladder/weather cloth on the port side? The dude is a yottie!

Yeah, looks like a boarding ladder for some European cruiser who plans to sail into harbor and execute a perfect med moor then pop the boarding ladder off of the stern and mingle.

It looks awfully thick but what could it be but a redone-on-the-cheap cabin sole drying out? Maybe it was used to secure stores in the cabin.

How about that boarding ladder/weather cloth on the port side? The dude is a yottie!

The stanchion likely broke with that board tied to it. Maybe he tied sail water jugs to it ?

Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the entry, and hopefully it better represents what actually happened (or is at least close enough, given my copious caveats): http://sailingfortuitous.com/rimas_adrift

Looking at Rimas' sails, you have to wonder if he will make it any farther than Pago Pago.

I have distilled all earlier Rimas' messages into: AND LOOKING FOR THOSE WHO ARE WILLING TO HELP MY AMBITIOUS SOLO TO CONTINUE TO SOUTH AMERICA VIE CAPE HORN ANS SOUTH GEORGIA ISLAND-UK, ANTARCTICA. THE BEST TO CONTACT ME ON FACEBOOK AND CELL 1-808-937-9468

What happened to his phone? Recent post says to contact him USPS General Delivery in Samoa?? You guys are all sending him checks or money orders there right??

I have distilled all earlier Rimas' messages into: AND LOOKING FOR THOSE WHO ARE WILLING TO HELP MY AMBITIOUS SOLO TO CONTINUE TO SOUTH AMERICA VIE CAPE HORN ANS SOUTH GEORGIA ISLAND-UK, ANTARCTICA. THE BEST TO CONTACT ME ON FACEBOOK AND CELL 1-808-937-9468

What happened to his phone? Recent post says to contact him USPS General Delivery in Samoa?? You guys are all sending him checks or money orders there right??

Or MacDonald's gift certificates, get him hooked. :)

There is only one bank, so using Fundy will be the easiest way. https://fundly.com/rimas-around-the-world

You can donate just for the Delorme tracker, I'm sure Shannon would be grateful. Otherwise, packages are Rimas the sailor man, General Delivery Am. Samoa 96799

http://www.americanbanker.com/people/the-fight-to-bring-new-banks-to-american-samoa-1055764-1.html

Mind you that Rimas' most trusted adviser and the person that configured many of these gear alterations is a guy who has a Conferr rack on the back of his boat and rocks Tequila Sunrise sails.

attachicon.gifJean.jpg

It's also been reconfigured as a cutter. Here is a larger version of that photo (it's a public photo on his Facebook):

SPAkJLU.jpg?1

He friended me on Facebook and there are some more recent photos of the boat that make the cutter rig (with a second furler) more obvious. There is also an interesting 8' rigid dinghy with a cutout to fit around the mast, it's pretty interesting for a 25-27' boat because it keeps the foredeck clear. His boat is a lot more cluttered on deck than I prefer, but he's out there sailing it all the time and I'm sitting at home on my couch, so I think he won this weekend.

Going to get seasonably wet there with gale force winds. Going to be glad he is tied the dock.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/samoa/satellite/index_flash.php?image=IR

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-170.693267822266,-14.2751779556274,2500/grid=on

FZZS50 NSTU 271859
CWFPPG

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST FOR AMERICAN SAMOA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PAGO PAGO AS
759 AM SST SAT DEC 27 2014

AMERICAN SAMOA COASTAL WATERS OUT TO 40 NAUTICAL MILES INCLUDING
THE FAGATELE BAY NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY

PSZ100-280800-

.SYNOPSIS FOR AMERICAN SAMOA COASTAL WATERS...TROPICAL DEPRESSION
05F WAS LOCATED ABOUT 65 NM NORTH OF TUTUILA...OR ABOUT 50 NM
NORTHWEST OF MANUA...MOVING SOUTH-SOUTHEAST SLOWLY. AN AREA OF
GALE FORCE WINDS FROM THE CENTER UP TO 90 NM TO THE NORTH AND EAST
QUADRANTS WILL MOVE WITH THE SYSTEM THROUGH TONIGHT.

$

PSZ150-280800-
TUTUILA-AUNUU-

...A GALE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT...
...A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT...

.TODAY...SOUTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 30 KT WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SEAS 10 TO
13 FT. FREQUENT SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.
.TONIGHT...SOUTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 35 KT WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SEAS 11
TO 13 FT. FREQUENT SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.
.SUNDAY THROUGH TUESDAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 25 KT WITH HIGHER
GUSTS TURNING WEST SUNDAY NIGHT. SEAS 10 TO 13 FT. NUMEROUS SHOWERS.
.WEDNESDAY...SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 9 TO 11 FT. SCATTERED
SHOWERS.

THE NEXT SCHEDULED FORECAST WILL BE ISSUED AT 300 PM SST.
FOR THE OTHER FORECASTS AND MODEL DATA GO TO OUR WEB PAGE
HTTP://WWW.PRH.NOAA.GOV/SAMOA

One thing that tells me Jean really knows what he's doing is putting all that liquid weight as high as possible and aft as possible. The marque of a gen u ine Captain of the Ocean Sea. I'd be embarrassed to be associated with that boat. Maybe that's why Rimas doesn't follow all of Jean's suggestions.

What the hell, here are cut and pastes of the images since I verified that they are public:

You're saying that the white hulled boat in the previous pic and this red hulled one are the same boat?

There's this Cal 2-27 video posted by Jean which looks like the exterior and interior layout of the red hulled boat you posted pics of:

I've never seen a mod like those cockpit chairs before, mounted to the hinged part of the cockpit locker. Visible in video at 55 seconds, not in your pics.

But are you really sure that the white boat in your first pic and the subsequent two are the same boat? There are a couple of really significant differences that don't seem like the kind of things you'd change (such as a stern hung rudder in the first pic).

I'm not sure that they are the same boat.

I'm sure that the red boat is Jean's current boat. On his Facebook there are hundreds of photos of him refitting the boat (he took the interior down to bare grp and rebuilt all of it to his liking). I'm also sure that the red boat started out white, and had the tell-tale Cal graphics below the rubrail.

The white boat and the red boat are different. He refers to the red as his "new boat" in some of the photos.

Not sure I'd want to sit in those chairs out in any kind of wind and swell. The cartopper box mounted to the cabin top is a nice touch. Why buy a dodger, when you can have the same plus storage!

It is actually not a bad day here in American Samoa. Rain bands coming through then sunshine, but the breeze on the feels good. As for being tied to the dock, I'm not so sure about that. There seems to be a lot of wave surge. Depending on the side of the dock you are on, your fenders take a beating or on the other side you need great mooring lines and serious chafe protection.

It is actually not a bad day here in American Samoa. Rain bands coming through then sunshine, but the breeze on the feels good. As for being tied to the dock, I'm not so sure about that. There seems to be a lot of wave surge. Depending on the side of the dock you are on, your fenders take a beating or on the other side you need great mooring lines and serious chafe protection.

pics or your not there :)

pics or your you're not there their. (fixed for you)

actually ironweed has a ring of truth...only a SE wind veering to SW could really fuck things up in Pago Pago

One thing that tells me Jean really knows what he's doing is putting all that liquid weight as high as possible and aft as possible. The marque of a gen u ine Captain of the Ocean Sea. I'd be embarrassed to be associated with that boat. Maybe that's why Rimas doesn't follow all of Jean's suggestions.

Yeah but at least Jean doesn't try to trim the jib to both sides at once. And he probably knows where all the food is stowed.

FB- Doug

actually ironweed has a ring of truth...only a SE wind veering to SW could really fuck things up in Pago Pago

The swell and breeze are SE here..Overnight might be diff http://www.surf-forecast.com/weather_maps/American-Samoa

Ironweed, where is your SA on the ground report on the Rimas, soldier ?

The swell and breeze are SE here..Overnight might be diff http://www.surf-forecast.com/weather_maps/American-Samoa

Ironweed, where is your SA on the ground report on the Rimas, soldier ?

Well, forecast is totally off, all alerts cancelled. http://w1.weather.gov/data/STU/ZFPPPG

FPZS50 NSTU 280247

ZFPPPG

ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT FOR AMERICAN SAMOA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PAGO PAGO AS

347 PM SST SAT DEC 27 2014

ASZ001-002-281115-

TUTUILA-AUNUU-MANUA-

347 PM SST SAT DEC 27 2014

...A WIND ADVISORY HAS BEEN CANCELLED FOR MANUA...

...A HIGH SURF WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED FOR MANUA...

...A FLASH FLOOD WATCH HAS BEEN CANCELLED...

...A HIGH SURF ADVISORY IN EFFECT FOR TUTUILA AUNUU AND MANUA...

.TONIGHT...NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND A CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORM. LOWS IN THE

UPPER 70S. NORTH WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS TURNING

NORTHWEST AFTER MIDNIGHT.

.SUNDAY...NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND A CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORM. HIGHS IN

THE LOWER 80S. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH NUMEROUS SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE

UPPER 70S. NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH.

.MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH ISOLATED SHOWERS. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 80S.

VARIABLE WINDS UP TO 10 MPH.

.MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH SCATTERED

SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE UPPER 70S. HIGHS IN THE MID 80S. VARIABLE

WINDS UP TO 10 MPH.

.WEDNESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH ISOLATED SHOWERS. HIGHS

IN THE UPPER 80S. LOWS IN THE UPPER 70S. EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH.

&&

TIDES AT PAGO PAGO HARBOR

LOW TIDE AT 623 PM SAT -0 FT

HIGH TIDE AT 1233 AM SUN 2.8 FT

LOW TIDE AT 653 AM SUN -0.1 FT

HIGH TIDE AT 116 PM SUN 2.8 FT

I watched Jean's video, he seems like a genuinely nice guy who loves to mess around in boats. I see why he has all the fuel cans with those calm conditions and length of trip. It does't appear he has any on board built in tankage for water or fuel. In the former vee berth area there were three propane tanks stored inside, next door to a heating unit, beside a home air conditioner unit.

That is a propane tank, not a beer keg, right ? :)

Video evidence of Rimas sailing in an upwind position, from Jean's YT page.

I've seen Rimas. He's a nice enough fellow and I'm not about to dis his adventure. It is his trip, not mine. I don't think I would do it his way but right now I'm not doing it at all. I got here in 13 hr of flying! He know's that he has some work to do before he heads out again. I'd load a pic of Pago Pago but I don't see a link button for pics and internet is a tough thing to come by her in AS.

Or MacDonald's gift certificates, get him hooked. :)

There is only one bank, so using Fundy will be the easiest way. https://fundly.com/rimas-around-the-world

You can donate just for the Delorme tracker, I'm sure Shannon would be grateful. Otherwise, packages are Rimas the sailor man KING INEPTUNE, General Delivery Am. Samoa 96799

http://www.americanbanker.com/people/the-fight-to-bring-new-banks-to-american-samoa-1055764-1.html

Fixed.

I wonder if they'd still get there? It's possible he has competition in that harbor. You never know.

I've seen Rimas. He's a nice enough fellow and I'm not about to dis his adventure. It is his trip, not mine. I don't think I would do it his way but right now I'm not doing it at all. I got here in 13 hr of flying! He know's that he has some work to do before he heads out again. I'd load a pic of Pago Pago but I don't see a link button for pics and internet is a tough thing to come by her in AS.

Its not how I'd do it either.

Of course when I leave a harbor with a destination, I tend to actually make it to that actual destination in a reasonable amount of time, so that is a least one point where Rimas and I differ.

Not quite, it's 'there' as originally posted.

Question for Mr. Perry.

How would roughly 300 pounds that far above the waterline on that red boat above affect righting moment?

That's probably less than 300 lbs... Roughly 32lbs/can. Stability would be adversely affected by that and the dinghy on the cabin top, but probably not as much as the hobby-horsing from the fuel and heavy motor hanging over the transom....that's got to be pretty bad in a chop.

It looks like the thead on his FB page that discussed the funding challenge has been deleted. I guess there is no interest in him learning to sail. They would rather fund a suicide.

It looks like the thead on his FB page that discussed the funding challenge has been deleted. I guess there is no interest in him learning to sail. They would rather fund a suicide.

Anyone who can log in to Rimas's Facebook page as owner can delete comments. And anyone who starts a thread can delete their thread with all the attached comments. Wasyl is really good about deleting when the comments divert from where his thread starts. Lesson learned, if you have something to say and hopefully last, start your own thread.

I really don't think that Rimas will accept the "money for sail" offer. After all, he has "sailed the longest distance in a SJ24 in all of history", so why would he need to prove himself with a sail around American Samoa? His pride will get in the way.

Anyone who can log in to Rimas's Facebook page as owner can delete comments. And anyone who starts a thread can delete their thread with all the attached comments. Wasyl is really good about deleting when the comments divert from where his thread starts. Lesson learned, if you have something to say and hopefully last, start your own thread.

I really don't think that Rimas will accept the "money for sail" offer. After all, he has "sailed the longest distance in a SJ24 in all of history", so why would he need to prove himself with a sail around American Samoa? His pride will get in the way.

I started a thread asking about the sailing challenge. I didn't delete it. I don't see it.

Jean said he mentioned the sailing challenge to Rimas, and didn't get a reply. Not a surprise, when has Rimas ever put forth an effort to do any work for money? He's content to drift along with what people give him.

When do we think his next adventure will begin? March, after the rainy season? Do we know if Jean actually flew to visit Rimas?

Man, this thread is somewhat anti-climatic :-( I was hoping either a nasty wash-up onto the beaches of Samoa or a champagne and helicopter guided arrival crowded by media and spectators. Or at least, I was hoping he would float by and continue his adventure into the unknown!! Instead, he got towed in, we got 2 pictures, and nothing else!! His potential book just lost a good chapter or two.

When do we think his next adventure will begin? March, after the rainy season? Do we know if Jean actually flew to visit Rimas?

Man, this thread is somewhat anti-climatic :-( I was hoping either a nasty wash-up onto the beaches of Samoa or a champagne and helicopter guided arrival crowded by media and spectators. Or at least, I was hoping he would float by and continue his adventure into the unknown!! Instead, he got towed in, we got 2 pictures, and nothing else!! His potential book just lost a good chapter or two.

...imagine what things would be like if he refuses the challenge,,,and the tracker's shut off :mellow::o

Why not shut down the tracker?

If somebody tows him out, he has demonstrated just two methods for making his next landfall: wreck(1), rescue(3).

I guess the tracker helps with the rescue. But if it in any way encourages him to go again - it's not a good idea.

Jean wrote recently on Facebook that he just came back from a 2 week sailing trip. I don't think he has been to visit Rimas.

Jean Mondeau Hi everyone. I'm back from a two week trip up the Sacramento River Sorry i miss this thread. So the reason I removed Rimas traveler is it was completely shot. Additionally Rimas was unable to use it or reach it from the cockpit. That was why he sailed jib only. I simplified the system for his skill level. Since he prefers to sit in the cockpit I placed the block at his feet for easy access. It worked great when he used it. Also I attached the sheet to the end of the boom so it would clear the cabin when sheeted all the way out.

Drifting the longest distance is more like it. I prefer the record of the 67-year old Polish guy who, as Rimas was drifting towards SF in April 2014, completed a 7,716-mile transatlantic journey in a 23-foot kayak. And he didn't have to be towed to shore.

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/adventurers-of-the-year/2015/aleksander-doba/

Just in on FB from Rimas: Happy New Year to everyone on facebook from one of the most beautiful island on the planet American Samoa. Soon guys I will be posting pictures of my sailing solo 120 days at sea from San Francisco to American Samoa may be tomorrow. Next my voyage will be to the east Chile-South America from American Samoa in end of the May 2015 Need a lot work on the boat damage from the storms.

988926_10153362187952334_591232240499309

(whatever the heck this means...)

Next my voyage will be to the east Chile-South America from American Samoa in end of the May 2015

. :lol::lol::lol:

A pilot chart and and a copy of "In the Heart of the Sea" might prove instructive. If he won't learn to go to windward, then he should take a plump Samoan woman for when the food runs out.

He is going to have to drift pretty far south before he can pick up the westerlies, right? No way he is going to sail upwind to Chile.

If he leaves in May, he'll pick them up quickly and probably a little too much of it given it's coming onto winter then. Westerlies in the Southern hemisphere are more prevalent at lesser latitudes given the lack of land masses.

Rimas, as ever, shows his ineptitude by suggesting he approach Chile at the beginning of winter.

Next my voyage will be to the east Chile-South America from American Samoa in end of the May 2015

. :lol::lol::lol:

A pilot chart and and a copy of "In the Heart of the Sea" might prove instructive. If he won't learn to go to windward, then he should take a plump Samoan woman for when the food runs out.

Also, she'll know how to fish

FB- Doug

I'm in! Friends of Rimas on Facebook. Just spent two hours looking at his page. Some points:

• Rimas announced on February 15th he was going to American Samoa.
  • Jean installed a tiller autopilot and fixed up the boat a bunch prior to departure. Rimas also got really good foul weather gear, a ton of food and tiedowns in the cabin for for all the stupid containers he had on the stern.
  • There's lots of pictures where the jib and main are up and sorta trimmed, spin pole on the deck.
  • On Facebook, asking for a translation of Jean's response to what "Pago Pago" is returns "Payment Payment".
  • I question his assertion Sausalito is the best goddamned marina on the West Coast. :lol:

Other than that, I'm overjoyed I'm now an insider to Rimas's deepest thoughts; he's got almost 800 friends and I only have 75. I suspect he's somewhat of a smart guy, knows how to work the angles. Now that I'm in the sanctum sanctorum I'll feed you his latest tomes gratis.

for the record, since it will probably be deleted.

7 hrs ·

What happened to the thread to donate money to Rimas if he'll learn some basic sailing? I was interested in making a small donation to help this cause.

Like ·

The trades are SE. Rimas has to sail upwind on starboard tack to head east to a Chile. If he heads south for the westerlies, he has to go upwind on port tack. He can't make Chile, Cape Horn, or South Georgia Is. without going upwind. My money is he drifts westward, and then heads north to Japan. Or he just stays in Samoa as long as the pan-handling remains profitable.

Lest we overlook another great great sailing adventure. Here's a capable guy with a nice big, well-equipped boat who claims he'll be the first "foreigner to circumnavigate Japan"

Rimas has to be eating his heart out about this.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=162864#entry4799700

....why?...he's already balking at being the first russian to sail 'round Samoa :mellow::rolleyes:

Lest we overlook another great great sailing adventure. Here's a capable guy with a nice big, well-equipped boat who claims he'll be the first "foreigner to circumnavigate Japan"

Rimas has to be eating his heart out about this.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=162864#entry4799700

Watch Rimas somehow unavoidably drift towards Japan, get pulled past to the Aleutians, close the circle and become the "First Foreigner to Circumnavigate Japan", "Largest Circumference Circumnavigation of Japan", "First Circumnavigation of the North Pacific Unwillingly", with a citation for no motor.

You people are missing the scientific value, this is what would happen if occasionally you towed garbage in the Pacific Rubbish Gyre.

How much would it cost to put a navigation hazard out in the open ocean for 120 days to discover ocean currents?

Insurance alone would be more than Rimas's adventuring costs.

You people are missing the scientific value, this is what would happen if occasionally you towed garbage in the Pacific Rubbish Gyre.

How much would it cost to put a navigation hazard out in the open ocean for 120 days to discover ocean currents?

Most garbage doesn't have sails controlled by a semi-sentient being who is trying to be somewhere else.

Most garbage doesn't have sails controlled by a semi-sentient being who is trying to be somewhere else.

We have an early leader in the memorable quotes of 2015 contest.

Well done.

Check the dates, those are older photos from previous portions of the trip. I think Jean recently (last summer) removed the traveler.

Makes sense, as the mainsheet in the picture is two-blocked.

Check the dates, those are older photos from previous portions of the trip. I think Jean recently (last summer) removed the traveler.

What the hell could be the goal in doing this? Making room for a cutout hard dinghy?

My bad. But don't know how I missed that one and this anonymous selfie of "Our Hero"... Both ripe for some Found Poetry/Photochopping...

10443263_321964384629134_487491949283808

What the hell could be the goal in doing this? Making room for a cutout hard dinghy?

Jean said something to the effect that Rimas couldn't cope with a traveler so he removed it. Remember we're dealing with someone just slightly smarter than a bagel.

He is going to have to drift pretty far south before he can pick up the westerlies, right? No way he is going to sail upwind to Chile.

If he leaves in May, he'll pick them up quickly and probably a little too much of it given it's coming onto winter then. Westerlies in the Southern hemisphere are more prevalent at lesser latitudes given the lack of land masses.

Rimas, as ever, shows his ineptitude by suggesting he approach Chile at the beginning of winter.

Nah, he knows that at the speed he sails that he will be nearing Chile just as summer hits.

It's all part of his plan.

Besides, it's not like Chile has thousands of miles of rugged coastline to deal with....

Nah, he knows that at the speed he sails that he will be nearing Chile just as summer hits.

It's all part of his plan.

Besides, it's not like Chile has thousands of miles of rugged coastline to deal with....

He'll need to ask for rescue tows in other languages as he progresses. I wonder if he speaks Spanish too?