Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

One of the working theories about the slow boat speed to Am Sam was the presumption that he only sailed with a jib. The pictures indicate it was probably just bizarre downwind sail trim.

Don't be too harsh on Rimas. He is likely to be dead in 6 months if he leaves Am Sam on his boat. His weather luck is going to run out.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

Bit of headstay sag there Rimas.

attachicon.gifRimas.jpg

Naw, the headstay is to windward and looks fine. What we have here, folks, is a jib with a luff tape for a headstay foil. Would be simple to convert to hanks, but $$$.

I stand corrected. Jean FaceBook'd that this sail is actually a storm trysail he gave Rimas. It's being flown backwards and you can see the luff tape for mast hoistage on the leech, matching the luff rope groove on the mast. Clearly a storm trysail, with hollow leech and foot.

My truthiness score has dropped 30 points :( . In my defense, I was tricked by thinking all storm trysails are orange.

Bit of headstay sag there Rimas.

attachicon.gifRimas.jpg

Naw, the headstay is to windward and looks fine. What we have here, folks, is a jib with a luff tape for a headstay foil. Would be simple to convert to hanks, but $$$.

I stand corrected. Jean FaceBook'd that this sail is actually a storm trysail he gave Rimas. It's being flown backwards and you can see the luff tape for mast hoistage on the leech, matching the luff rope groove on the mast. Clearly a storm trysail, with hollow leech and foot.

My truthiness score has dropped 30 points :( . In my defense, I was tricked by thinking all storm trysails are orange.

It caught us all out.

Setting a storm trisail back the front on the bow was something I've never seen before...

Late to the party as was out for lunch.

Our "Hero" was definitely having us on. All the blather about no gear...

Our man has been on a four month solo fishing trip in the Pacific. 1.5 kts is a fine trolling speed for some species. When the fishing is that good, there is no need to rush.

rimas27.jpg

rimas28.jpg

And the spinnaker pole appears to have been up like that all the way across the Pacific... Nice rigging handiwork...

What about if Rimas isn´t just "a Rimas", but the latest of Sahsa Baron Cohen´s creations in a row of Borat - Bruno?

Must addmit when I saw these movies, had a little hard time to belive the genuinenss of some scenes.

Reading this thread, makes my doubts to kind of wishfull thinking.

Waaaaiiiiiiiiitttt a minute, aren't you the gal that had to have proof of everything? Or are you the one with brains and balls?

I´m your mother, don´t you regonize me, my naughty boy. I feel you´re about to get horny again? This time we do it in a different way. You cut off your dick and send it to me. And I´ll do everything, you ever wanted with it and a little more. OK? You can keep the balls. According to my knowledge there are some fagots on this thread, who would give anything for one night with dickless morph with balls.

Gosh. You've reduced me to tears. But I will hand to to ya gal, dat was some ugly diatribe.

Where I was coming from was Shahn pops in from nowhere acting like we needed to prove our comments to him. Fuck Shahn. Then you pop up yakking about Shahn's big balls and brains, then ol' Alex W jumps in, like he did before with the last Rimas' apologist. Who are you geeks?

And Laina, the game here is newbies show us some tits. Give it up girl.

What about if Rimas isn´t just "a Rimas", but the latest of Sahsa Baron Cohen´s creations in a row of Borat - Bruno?

Must addmit when I saw these movies, had a little hard time to belive the genuinenss of some scenes.

Reading this thread, makes my doubts to kind of wishfull thinking.

Waaaaiiiiiiiiitttt a minute, aren't you the gal that had to have proof of everything? Or are you the one with brains and balls?

I´m your mother, don´t you regonize me, my naughty boy. I feel you´re about to get horny again? This time we do it in a different way. You cut off your dick and send it to me. And I´ll do everything, you ever wanted with it and a little more. OK? You can keep the balls. According to my knowledge there are some fagots on this thread, who would give anything for one night with dickless morph with balls.

Gosh. You've reduced me to tears. But I will hand to to ya gal, dat was some ugly diatribe.

Where I was coming from was Shahn pops in from nowhere acting like we needed to prove our comments to him. Fuck Shahn. Then you pop up yakking about Shahn's big balls and brains, then ol' Alex W jumps in, like he did before with the last Rimas' apologist. Who are you geeks?

for the love of God, no! There's not enough eye-bleach in the world to erase that vision.

I confess I am gobsmacked. Once my Facebook friend request was accepted (took three weeks) I've been inundated with pictures of the voyage and American Samoa tourist shots. It's all too much; hi-res images where I can see every little detail of the rigging, rotting fish, cockpit, Rimas's eyebrows, etc. And it boggles my mind, maybe thirty minutes every other day zooming in. This is much more fun than Void-ho's sparse updates :) .

That being said; I want to help Rimas in some small way. I researched American Samoa and the McDonald's there has (had?) free wifi if you buy something, and it's air conditioned. Have to bring a wifi enabled device, though. Also, the island has some Internet Cafe' things and the library, pricey. Most surprising thing is the island will give you a $50 per month stipend if you're indigent:

"So for nearly a year now, Sebastian has been biding his time on an island that's about the size of Washington D.C. Local law prevents him from finding work. He's staying with a local family and the American Samoan government gives him $50 a week to get by.

"I come to McDonald's every day from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. because that is the only place I can use the wi-fi and to connect to my friends and to ask for help."

Don't believe me? Do your own research:

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/29/168255952/in-limbo-stateless-man-stuck-on-american-samoa

Rimas is on the public dock whose fees are rather hard to determine but may be as low as $12.50 per month short term for Rimas's length boat. Then it's to a mooring for maybe $15 a month. It sounds kind of sweet for Rimas for the next few months. Then we shall see. I lived in the land of $1000/month slip fees for years; a boat in a slip costs the marina managers X dollars and it must be paid.

'

YCMTSU

rimas28.jpg

I don't fish. Could someone who does comment on whether the fish looks somewhat tired in some of these pictures? Not so fresh?

That fish isnt tired, it'd well past dead. Solid as a plank dead. Stinky dead.

axo something: That being said; I want to help Rimas in some small way. I researched American Samoa and the McDonald's there has (had?) free wifi if you buy something, and it's air conditioned. Have to bring a wifi enabled device, though. Also, the island has some Internet Cafe' things and the library, pricey. Most surprising thing is the island will give you a $50 per month stipend if you're indigent:

I don't like rules but there oughta be a rule that you have to read the whole thread before you start helping Rimas.

axo something: That being said; I want to help Rimas in some small way. I researched American Samoa and the McDonald's there has (had?) free wifi if you buy something, and it's air conditioned. Have to bring a wifi enabled device, though. Also, the island has some Internet Cafe' things and the library, pricey. Most surprising thing is the island will give you a $50 per month stipend if you're indigent:

I don't like rules but there oughta be a rule that you have to read the whole thread before you start helping Rimas.

And the Void Ho thread and the Hot Rod thread. If it's over $20 you have to read the 4th Mode thread too.

It's really a good idea to walk around to different places, take several photos of the same fish,tell everyone you have caught many fish. Its a great fish tale.If a fishing charter co. took several shots of different people walking down the pier with the same snapper,they could really promote themselves in the Ream Us way.

I think if Samoa is going to start giving Rimas a salary to just hang around refusing to work, then he should be required to pay back the people who gave him money so he could get there in the first place.

FB- Doug

Wait a minute...the Samoan Govt is paying Rimas not to work? OMG, the irony is rich...he flees a nanny state only to find his utopia in a nanny state. Of course he's more free...but not free to leave because no one will fix his boat or tow him out, and he doesn't know how. Is this some episode of The Twilight Zone?

Blue Crab, I pointed out how certain people were stating their opinion as fact which was misleading. I had my say and I'm done until it happens again in a really blatant way. Some people dont live on this forum and come here periodically to update themselves on this thread. When people are being misleading, it wastes our time and makes us have to sift thru a bunch of bullshit. Just be honest with your information and how you present it so as to not mislead others. Otherwise, you're no better than the assholes at Fox News. The truth of the matter here is better\worse than anything you can make up.

At first i thought he was a simple minded person who loved the sea but as his trip developed it was obvious his purpose was to make a living off his adventure like so many others before him have done. The others all had at least some sailing, literary skills but Remas seems to have no skill beyond reaching for handouts. At first i was inclined to make a cash donation but when i noticed Remas never seemed to make any effort to work and put money into his own war chest and was content to sit back and wait for others to fill the chest i kinda lost interest. i see enough pan handlers everyday and Remas is no different except he is doing it via the internet and the seas.

seamanship?/???......In all these posts I don't recall seeing anything that indicated any seamanship at all. A chimp adrift in a j24 would likely have learned a little seamanship but Remas seems to have advanced his knowledge not at all in this regard. But I must give credit were credit is due and he has definitely tuned his ability to find handouts and free towing

seamanship?/???......In all these posts I don't recall seeing anything that indicated any seamanship at all. A chimp adrift in a j24 would likely have learned a little seamanship but Remas seems to have advanced his knowledge not at all in this regard. But I must give credit were credit is due and he has definitely tuned his ability to find handouts and free towing

I think that's why he said seamanship , meaning there is none. i'll pay for the delorme and the lifetime wifi at the local café , if it means I get to continue laughing. life at work can get boring . I guess it's the penalty some of us pay for supporting OURSELVES .

rimas28.jpg

I don't fish. Could someone who does comment on whether the fish looks somewhat tired in some of these pictures? Not so fresh?

They are very colorful when fresh from the water and turn that silver color over a period of an hour or two. Still good. I have cleaned and eaten fish that sat in the box with minimal ice for half a day. We fish for these in summer, so it's hot.

When I catch a fish on a cruising boat, I clean it when it's dead. The sooner the better. Never hung one from various locations around a boat.

Hell, he might even sell himself as a delivery captain. After all, he calls himself Captain doesn't he?

....that'd be something :mellow:

...I suppose Rimass is reading his facebook by now...is he posting there?

He just posted "do not posted on my Facebook". I guess he doesn't understand how fb works.

"That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works"

TFM

I liked his post, posted OK, then posted oops when I realized that posting OK was posting. Now I'm thinking of replying to that post with a link to this thread.

That's how this works, right?

Blue Crab, I pointed out how certain people were stating their opinion as fact which was misleading. I had my say and I'm done until it happens again in a really blatant way. Some people dont live on this forum and come here periodically to update themselves on this thread. When people are being misleading, it wastes our time and makes us have to sift thru a bunch of bullshit. Just be honest with your information and how you present it so as to not mislead others. Otherwise, you're no better than the assholes at Fox News. The truth of the matter here is better\worse than anything you can make up.

I don't think you could recognize the truth if it smacked you in the head. Your mind is made up and immune to any ideas that you disagree with .

At least Rimas is entertaining.

I liked his post, posted OK, then posted oops when I realized that posting OK was posting. Now I'm thinking of replying to that post with a link to this thread.

...that'd certainly spice things up,Tom! ;)

S, this isn't a news outlet, and you aren't the arbiter of what we say. You are way off base.

S, this isn't a news outlet, and you aren't the arbiter of what we say. You are way off base.

I'm telling ya, it's a religious cult. They get all butthurt when someone calls Dear Leader a freeloading fraud.

rimas28.jpg

Nah, it's sleeping.

I'm telling ya, it's a religious cult. They get all butthurt when someone calls Dear Leader a freeloading fraud.

Sound familiar?

It's like deja vu all over again.

Entertaining though!

rimas28.jpg

Nah, it's sleeping.

That's there is a Norwegian Blue Mahi. It's just pining for the fjords.

Hell, he might even sell himself as a delivery captain. After all, he calls himself Captain doesn't he?

....that'd be something :mellow:

...I suppose Rimass is reading his facebook by now...is he posting there?

He just posted "do not posted on my Facebook". I guess he doesn't understand how fb works.

"That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works"

TFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvMKo6X4Mg

It might be the paper bag with oats. Hanging it from the back stay would be a logical storage spot for someone who keeps his flares in a cardboard box bungeed to the lifelines.

Same as the single-hander who makes an on-going point to display his man-overboard ring.

a real mariner single handing in a small boat (4,500 miles in 40 days). Note the modesty and austoundingly well organized vessel.

Totally Lame.

No captains hat.

No fish.

No bungie chords.

No storm trisail.

The dud hasnt even broken a stansion yet.

I give it a 2 out of 10.

Here is another sailor proposing to take on the Horn. An SJ 24 is what he needs. http://cruisingoutpost.com/2014/01/82-year-sail-solo-cape-horn-southern-winter/

Good lord. <face palm>

Okay, maybe he can still physically undertake this at 82...I dunno. Doing it in winter sounds like a bad plan. Bringing 2 dogs along doesn't sound right. Losing his previous boat on a Mexican reef doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in his ability. I assume he at least knows how to sail.

Bob - he is a gracious storyteller of the old school. Happens to have a extraordinary sailing pedigree, but well bred enough to never mention it.

Bligh - another strike against him is not tieing enough knots.

me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me

Get fucked ya cunt...

Meanwhile, our "Hero" has posted more pics showing proper sail trim for fishing...

rimas29.jpg

rimas30.jpg

I wonder what is involved in a Boat US Safety Check?

Looks pretty light, 8-10?, broad reach. Reefed main strapped in, trisail hoisted in fore triangle, no hanks. I'm pretty amazed he even averaged 36 miles per day.

Looks pretty light, 8-10?, broad reach. Reefed main strapped in, trisail hoisted in fore triangle, no hanks. I'm pretty amazed he even averaged 36 miles per day.

The Stars and Stripes show him to be running in about 3-5 knots with a Reefed Main strapped at Centreline. Definitely a knot or so of favourable current...

Meanwhile, our "Hero" has posted more pics showing proper sail trim for fishing...

rimas29.jpgrimas30.jpg

I wonder what is involved in a Boat US Safety Check?

Looks like the duck tape whipping is wearing a bit thin.

Thanks, and your right he is good entertainment. Maybe we should think of RM an entertainer risking his life for fun and monetary support. The entertainment value is worth a few bucks I agree.

He's entertaining for sure. I just can't bring myself to donate when he refuses to learn to sail or do any of his own preparation. At some point this comedy is going to turn into a tragedy and I don't want it on my conscience.

Our "Hero" had Japanese Nat Geo's with him for his voyage.

rimas33.jpg

Question: would the ape have got to American Samoa any faster?

Okay he can't sail out of a wet paper bag...his rigging & sail trim pics are each their own special gem...

But dayyyyuuummm...he has reached a new level with his selfies. How many painstaking hours were spent getting just the right "heroic adventurer" eyes squinted on the distant horizon look...as if every pic would be the next book cover.

Idiocy can be forgiven, but The Rimas has amped the narcissistic quotient up to 11.

The hat!

.post-33902-0-13684100-1420930680_thumb.j

....the souwester sunhat adds a certain touch of 'special' too! :):wacko:

Our "Hero's" Selfies leave me without witty retort...

rimas32.jpg

....I wondering if he considered tightening the jib halyard...it seems to be a bit 'soft' :lol:

Our "Hero" demonstrating proper use of a bungee cord as Preventor and other alternative rigging ideas...

rimas31.jpg

Also gotta love the bungee around the boom topping lift as an "outhaul"...

......there are no words

post-3217-0-25124200-1420932851.jpgpost-3217-0-25124200-1420932851.jpgpost-3217-0-25124200-1420932851.jpg

...how about if we put together $500 ,,buy the boat.....then offer it back to him for -free- if he learns to sail <_<

He's already ignored almost $2000 in pledges for learning to sail, and sailing around the island to demonstrate what he learned. If that doesn't motivate him to learn, nothing will.

...how about if we put together $500 ,,buy the boat.....then offer it back to him for -free- if he learns to sail <_<

He's already ignored almost $2000 in pledges for learning to sail, and sailing around the island to demonstrate what he learned. If that doesn't motivate him to learn, nothing will.

post-3217-0-25124200-1420932851.jpgpost-3217-0-25124200-1420932851.jpgpost-3217-0-25124200-1420932851.jpg

Pfft, $500-, he wouldn't sell for that, you're forgetting the value of the caulking and now it's an historical object worthy of a museum.

You're forgetting the value of 45 back issues of NatGeo and 75 bungee cords....and a 3 month old dead fish.

Pfft, $500-, he wouldn't sell for that, you're forgetting the value of the caulking and now it's an historical object worthy of a museum.

You're forgetting the value of 45 back issues of NatGeo and 75 bungee cords....and a 3 month old dead fish.

3934yu85yu4.gif

????? WTF, $2000- seriously ?????

To sail around a littleish tropical island and he refused ???

Technically, no. He just ignored it. Then someone deleted the fb thread.
FWIW Jean told him about it.

you should show more respect! Its not his fault he was born a little lite on top. Thinking of the nat geo cover with the Chimp makes me wonder who would learn to sail first if they were each towed out to sea in j24's and left to their own resources for a month. Well I guess we already know how RM would fair. My money's on the Chimp