Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

1knt is fast for rm if you review his log. sometimes he goes a day or two at .5-1 in one direction then goes a day or two in another direction at the same pace. He has seemed to me to be most comfortable at a meandering .5kt speed

He supposedly walked across Canada and thru Central America. Must be a speed he's comfortable with... Else he would have bought a $25 bicycle and gone much faster.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

Stranger than fiction is a Bad Religion

Never had the pleasure of seeing them, but I went to the last show the Tubes ever played (at the Paramount in Seattle).

(Edit: Speaking of being accurate, I meant last performance with original band/ Fee Waybill, 1985)

(Another edit: Well, I guess I've been out of the loop since 1985. Apparently, The Tubes regrouped and are still touring.)

How did

get into this?

They were amazing. They're touring nowadays? Shit, the world is even weirder than I thought, it's very tempting to go see them again

FB- Doug

Well, the keyboardist isn't. He's dead. He played with the Grateful Dead for several years, which is the Kiss of Death (every one of their keyboardists have died).

Our "Hero" demonstrating proper use of a bungee cord as Preventor and other alternative rigging ideas...

rimas31.jpg

Also gotta love the bungee around the boom topping lift as an "outhaul"...

This might be some of Rimas' greatest work.

Is that some sort of coffee pot tied to the end of the boom?

Seriously??

You know, here is one of the definitive differences between this thread and Rimas' Facebook page. There, he gathers admiration from people who see a random collection of ropes & knots & sails & shit, and they think 'wow this dude is really out on the ocean, he's a sailor, etc etc' whereas those of us who know what sailing actually looks like can see at a glance that he's just a very very lucky retard.

FB- Doug

PS- I still can't fuckin' figure out how

got into this thread

Thanks, and your right he is good entertainment. Maybe we should think of RM an entertainer risking his life for fun and monetary support. The entertainment value is worth a few bucks I agree.

He's entertaining for sure. I just can't bring myself to donate when he refuses to learn to sail or do any of his own preparation. At some point this comedy is going to turn into a tragedy and I don't want it on my conscience.

Don't worry, it's all my fault.

Maybe you should put Rimas's burial costs in escrow so solitron doesn't come looking for you. I doubt Rimas's ashes taste like bacon.

What Rimas means to me

heck, i thought i needed a 'blue water' boat to cross the pacific. This makes the boat search so much easier! gosh by golly, a 30 foot 'racer/cruiser' will do just fine....

Possible title: "Homeless man drifts across the ocean in dumpy boat." "Hobo dupes millions into funding spurious journey"

Tons of laughs from his choice of shirts to port approaches, while the background clash of the uninitiated posters with the veterans.

I wonder: if i started now on my 30 foot sloop could i beat him to the Horn?

All in all. Very Cheap entertainment.

.post-33902-0-13684100-1420930680_thumb.j

....the souwester sunhat adds a certain touch of 'special' too! :):wacko:

Our "Hero" demonstrating proper use of a bungee cord as Preventor and other alternative rigging ideas...

rimas31.jpg

......there are no words

attachicon.giffacepalm eduardo.jpgattachicon.giffacepalm eduardo.jpgattachicon.giffacepalm eduardo.jpg

Clusterfuck, trainwreck, Chaos, FUBAR, fail, disaster, mess are a few that come to mind.

Thanks, and your right he is good entertainment. Maybe we should think of RM an entertainer risking his life for fun and monetary support. The entertainment value is worth a few bucks I agree.

He's entertaining for sure. I just can't bring myself to donate when he refuses to learn to sail or do any of his own preparation. At some point this comedy is going to turn into a tragedy and I don't want it on my conscience.

Maybe you should put Rimas's burial costs in escrow so solitron doesn't come looking for you. I doubt Rimas's ashes taste like bacon.

They could if you sent bacon money to Samoa. Get him all fattened up so when he is rendered down it tastes better than Old Russian Dude.

rimas31.jpg

This might be some of Rimas' greatest work.

Is that some sort of coffee pot tied to the end of the boom?

Seriously??

You know, here is one of the definitive differences between this thread and Rimas' Facebook page. There, he gathers admiration from people who see a random collection of ropes & knots & sails & shit, and they think 'wow this dude is really out on the ocean, he's a sailor, etc etc' whereas those of us who know what sailing actually looks like can see at a glance that he's just a very very lucky retard.

FB- Doug

PS- I still can't fuckin' figure out how

got into this thread
Looks like a blender to me, but I think it's a light he uses instead of running lights. Harbor pics

show it lashed to pole eye. I don't know why he didn't tie it to back

stay. Maybe it is a blender... Who knows? Maybe he uses it to purée his oats and Idaho buttery mashed potatos.

They could if you sent bacon money to Samoa. Get him all fattened up so when he is rendered down it tastes better than Old Russian Dude.

CA has produced some great recipes over the years.

This one is a challenge.

Might be why the Locals are feeding him... Samoans used to be cannibals. Tom probably shouldn't be too worried.

This one is a challenge.

Try googling recipes for "long pig".

This one is a challenge.

Try googling recipes for "long pig".

I was wondering when that joke may come up…. nicely done.

I'm getting restless. Anyone know what needs to be fixed? Is our hero Rimas doomed to spend the remainder of his days in AS? Can he get going without a Jean to stock him up and be his onshore support team? I fear so. I'm tempted to drop any condition on my small donation but I want it to help him get going--not hang out at the local bar. Without a Jean there, I'm thinking we will never get this train wreck going again. It's another Flyin Hawaiin saga--great fun for a while and then interminably boring and fading to nothing.

I disagree. No one should fix his boat or tow him out the harbor. Rimas needs to learn to do that himself. Encourage him to do so...absolutely. Do it for him...absolutely not. Anyone enabling him to continue his voyage in such a lazy and incompetent manner has his blood on their hands.

I've thought about this--being responsible for him killing himself by helping him. (I haven't helped him yet--I made an offer conditional on him sailing around the island). Unless he is completely nuts, he has some understanding of the danger. He has sailed through bad enough weather to see the Pacific isn't all grass and posies. And he knows his sailing skills are lacking. IMHO, if he kills himself with this understanding, I'm not in any way responsible.

I don't think we have to worry about it anyway. He's not going anywhere without a lot more assistance that does not seem forthcoming. And for now, I'm not helping until and unless he sails around the island.

Does he know Chile is upwind and against the current?

BTW--I thought being his Facebook friend would be entertaining. Not so much--more annoying so far.

Showing how to properly reef your Storm Trysail on your bow.

10896906_391961194296119_519918032784534

Jean said on FB that this sail is upside down but it just looks like a jib sheeted to the reef point but fully (more or less) hoisted to me.

Definitely competes with that bungee outhaul shot and the free flying trysail shot.

I think the bungee outhaul wins, but maybe a contest would be fun.

Looks to me like he found his spare mainsail and hoisted as a jib. Note the reef tack crinkle on the luff, and how much sail is below the reef clew.

Which photo best illustrates why we call him King Ineptune?

Jean said on FB that this sail is upside down but it just looks like a jib sheeted to the reef point but fully (more or less) hoisted to me.

Definitely competes with that bungee outhaul shot and the free flying trysail shot.

Looks to me like he found his spare mainsail and hoisted it as a jib. Note the reef tack cringle and the amount of sail below the reef clew.

Looks to me like he found his spare mainsail and hoisted it as a jib. Note the reef tack cringle and the amount of sail below the reef clew.

I think you are right on this one. The clew dragging in the water even appears to have a slug in it. The other photo of a "headsail" appeared to be the Storm Trysail. Can you say "Jury Rig"...

It's his storm trysail. Supposed to be BEHIND the mast.

A couple more pics from of our "Hero" have been uploaded.

We all knew the 5000 photos he had taken would be golden and bring us joy. We should have set up a fundly and paid for an internet account upon his arrival...

This one is early on in his voyage (full hoist main, jib hanked to forestay, lifering all shiny) and shows a relatively well kept boat.

rimas35.jpg

We all knew the 5000 photos he had taken would be golden and bring us joy. We should have set up a fundly and paid for an internet account upon his arrival...

This one is early on in his voyage (full hoist main, jib hanked to forestay, lifering all shiny) and shows a relatively well kept boat.

rimas35.jpg

Jib lead still needs a little work!

rimas35.jpg

Jib lead still needs a little work!

Details, details...

Our "Hero" got out his camera during a "storm" in August.

More interesting shots of the cockpit rigging a few months before the last pics and shows winch repair in action. That or he has lost the top part of the winch over board...

rimas36.jpg

rimas37.jpg

Nope, that jib definitely looks upside down.

Each new photo shows an ever higher level of incompetence, laziness and stupidity. It takes an enormous amount of creativity to view them and imagine how the hell Rimas has rigged things.

I've seen abandoned vessels that look better put together.

This fellow Jean, though well intentioned, should let Rimas to his own devices. Enabling him to think he could leave port and get somewhere is unlikely to reap such astounding luck again and will not end so nicely.

Is Jean still helping him?

...from an increasing distance it seems.

....I wonder if Rimass was pissed off at Jean for making an upside-down jib for him!? :wacko:

.....is it customary to have the mainsail strapped at the centreline while running in 'high' seas? :mellow:

rimas36.jpg

.. it's good to see that Rimass keeps up regular maintenance on the winches :lol:

rimas37.jpg

I'd think by now he'd have started reading this thread. Wonder if/when he'll jump in.

...maybe it's best to hold our comments until he posts more shots! :rolleyes:

It's his storm trysail. Supposed to be BEHIND the mast.
I agree. I zoomed in...if you look at the crinkle about 4' above the bow, the reinforcing patch is above the crinkle. The sail is not upside down. A trisail has the clew lower than the tack, thus can't be sheeted as a usual headsail. This trisail appears to have reef

points, Rimas has it sheeted from the reef cringle. The clew is dragging in the water. It could also be a jib set backwards... Leach forward, and tack bragging in the water. Def not upside down. Someone on fb suggested Rimas should have sails made as equilateral triangles, grommets on all three sides, so he could set them in any orientation. Sounds like a plan.

It looks to me that the head of the sail is where the clew is supposed to be. Maybe he hoisted the clew.

Still think it's a main. A reef point on a storm trysail on a San juan 24? Plus, if it were a trysail, wouldn't it be smaller?

I saved it so I could zoom in closer. Thinking you're right, close up it does look like a main, sheeted from the reef.

Someone on fb suggested Rimas should have sails made as equilateral triangles, grommets on all three sides, so he could set them in any orientation. Sounds like a plan.

I sure like that being said on FB. Maybe they're wising up. It doesn't take much of a sailor to get a sense this guy isn't one.

Jean's explanation of the "reefed" headsail is pretty funny....

gallery_672_1044_18655.jpg

What is a refillable jib?

I have yet to reef the jib on my SJ24. Do you move the jib lines from the clew to a reef point along the leech edge and pull the luff edge reef point down over the hook on the bow? Or do the lines remain attached to the clew, and you use the leech edge reef point to tie the excess sail? I'm fairly certain it's the former. If I'm right, I'd venture a guess that the picture shows a jib in a mixed up, partially reefed, but fully hoisted condition.

I have yet to reef the jib on my SJ24. Do you move the jib lines from the clew to a reef point along the leech edge and pull the luff edge reef point down over the hook on the bow? Or do the lines remain attached to the clew, and you use the leech edge reef point to tie the excess sail? I'm fairly certain it's the former. If I'm right, I'd venture a guess that the picture shows a jib in a mixed up, partially reefed, but fully hoisted condition.

Yes, luff reef is pulled down to tack hook, and sheets shifted to reef cringle on leech. Excess sail gathered and tied. Usually sheet leads need to be shifted fwd, unless sailmaker designs sail to use same lead position reefed as unreefed. That appears to be a main in photo to me, too much extra sail hanging down to be a jib. Also, the reef reinforcement above pulpit has a 90deg angle at the cringle. It would be more acute if a jib.

Yes, luff reef is pulled down to tack hook, and sheets shifted to reef cringle on leech. Excess sail gathered and tied. Usually sheet leads need to be shifted fwd, unless sailmaker designs sail to use same lead position reefed as unreefed. That appears to be a main in photo to me, too much extra sail hanging down to be a jib. Also, the reef reinforcement above pulpit has a 90deg angle at the cringle. It would be more acute if a jib.
Ok, thanks. I can visualize what you mean about excess sail. I think it would be only a couple feet of sail with clew dangling after reefing. Probably not long enough to drag in the water.

Ok, thanks. I can visualize what you mean about excess sail. I think it would be only a couple feet of sail with clew dangling after reefing. Probably not long enough to drag in the water.
Yes, exactly. If it was a jib, then the clew would be higher than deck level since the tack isn't reefed.

I'm sitting here LMAO that no one can really figure out which sail Rimas is flying, nor how.

My wife thinks someone is pranking us all. Faking the Delorme inputs seems to me the hardest part of that.

Jean's explanation of the "reefed" headsail is pretty funny....

gallery_672_1044_18655.jpg

What is a refillable jib?

Oh Bligh me! A Refillable Jib is a very special Rimus type of sail that uses both water or air. When in Difting mode because the air is un-favorable for use by Rimus, you simply drop the lower section of the sail into the water and " Re-Fill" it with water thus enabling the user to drift more effectively with a current . However, Rimus accidentally has it up-side down. But for a genius like Rimus, he may have found a way to hybrid it this way to a bungee steering method freeing his hands thus allowing him more time to concentrate on chicken choking

Someone on fb suggested Rimas should have sails made as equilateral triangles, grommets on all three sides, so he could set them in any orientation. Sounds like a plan.

I sure like that being said on FB. Maybe they're wising up. It doesn't take much of a sailor to get a sense this guy isn't one.

I am the designer of the equilateral triradial sail. Its intended for those one in a million sailors that don't know what the labels in the corners mean.

To me it looks less like an upside down reefable jib than one put on backwards, with the first reef tack being used as a clew because Rimas is that fucking stupid. However, I don't see any hanks on the leech/luff or the luff/leech. It's mind boggling. How is it taking so long for this guy to be taken out to pasture?

Decades ago, as a rookie sailor, I had a SJ24 with the original Clark sails. The 150 Genoa had reefing cringles about 18"

above the foot.

First time I used them in the Kansas wind I took a hit from a gust, plowed the bow into a wave. The rolled foot of the sail filled

with water, ripping it apart as the boat righted itself.

Probably not the best way to reduce head sail area. Especially for a noobie sailor like I was / am.

To me it looks less like an upside down reefable jib than one put on backwards, with the first reef tack being used as a clew because Rimas is that fucking stupid. However, I don't see any hanks on the leech/luff or the luff/leech. It's mind boggling. How is it taking so long for this guy to be taken out to pasture?

Jean already confirmed the reefed "Headsail" is a mainsail (note the bolt rope) where our "Hero" has it sheeted from the first reef. The other pic is a Storm Trysail upside down.

Some would call this "ingenious"; Others not so much...

Jean already confirmed the reefed "Headsail" is a mainsail (note the bolt rope) where our "Hero" has it sheeted from the first reef. The other pic is a Storm Trysail upside down.

Some would call this "ingenious"; Others not so much...

Great! Even dumber. Like putting your head and an arm through a pant leg and calling it a shirt.

No new facebook pictures today so I was forced to get my jollies by reading the entire collection of his DeLorme posts handily available at http://sailingfortuitous.com/rimas/

One eyebrow raiser (out of many) is he apparently doesn't sail at night, just goes below. Guess that solves the singlehanded sailing sleep deprivation problem. Sailing is a day job.

• Good morning from sailing boat Pier Pressure! I begin sailing again.
    • March 9, 2014 15:44:00 GMT
    • 31.5733°N, 135.4401°W
  • I am now done sailing for today. Goodnight from sailing boat Pier Pressure!

I'm not getting many members' joke with shahn.

My understanding is that shahn thinks Rimas is just as much of an idiot as everyone else here, but that he is intolerant of people making up shit, then repeating it until it somehow gets accepted as fact. Rimas's facts as evidenced by his own writing and photos are ridiculous ad ipsis and need no embellishment.

Look, if someone wants to make up goofy conjectures about the drifting fool, it might sit easier if one were to preface the made-up shit with, "I wonder if..." or "In my opinion..." or some other indication that you are not taking your conjecture as fact. I have shared shahn's sentiments on this myself.

Or am I being obtuse by not recognizing that gross misunderstanding of shahn is simply another fairly heavy-handed and not-very-funny joke?

Over 180,000 views later, Rimas is obviously the star of the show but no-one sees fit to make fun of a SJ24 any longer. In spite of the clear shortcomings of the skipper, this $500.00 sailboat is still afloat and the mast is still standing. I have sailed SJ24s for 35 years and I still get the impression that, when things get rough, the brew will break much sooner than the boat will.

Houston, we have a problem.

1655540_390936571065248_3652839467192080

Hanks? We don't need no stinking hanks.

Using a free-flying jib isn't going to help his upwind sailing much.

I'm betting that's one of Jean's old furler jibs and neither Jean nor Rimas could be arsed to put grommets and hanks on it.

2nd hand chandleries have plenty of these hanks and adding grommets is child's play.

Note use of spinnaker sheets for jib sheets. Nothing like flogging snapshackles to rip a clew to bits.

We don't need no stinking bowlines.

Jean explains this sail set up in a recent FB post:

>Jean Mondeau Well lookee here. I can't Believe my eyes. That is the storm trysail I built for Rimas. It is superstrong and was designed for heaving to not sailing. Rimas never ceases to amaze me.

Went back to figure out the trysail explanation and just noticed that it looks like a fender hanging off the lifelines. How many miles offshore did that make it? By the addition of all the wood on the sides of the "cockpit" we can assume this is a ways into the voyage?

Over 180,000 views later, Rimas is obviously the star of the show but no-one sees fit to make fun of a SJ24 any longer. In spite of the clear shortcomings of the skipper, this $500.00 sailboat is still afloat and the mast is still standing. I have sailed SJ24s for 35 years and I still get the impression that, when things get rough, the brew will break much sooner than the boat will.

The boat hasnt really been tested. It survived a driftathon but if it had to cross in heavy seas and wind it may not have survived. Hard to say.

You know, if this guy makes it around the ball in a j24 with his obvious skills it sure dosent make the rest of us look very good with our fancy vessels properly rigged and even navigation charts! Geezzz.....he has already put to shame many of us like myself that have yet to venture more than 75nm offshore.......

So please observe proper respect for this master mariner. Just cause you don't understand his advanced rigging technique and fish preservation skills doesn't mean that others except Remas do.

Try carrying the brew in cans. Or just install a keg.

You know, if this guy makes it around the ball in a j24 with his obvious skills it sure dosent make the rest of us look very good with our fancy vessels properly rigged and even navigation charts! Geezzz.....he has already put to shame many of us like myself that have yet to venture more than 75nm offshore.......

So please observe proper respect for this master mariner. Just cause you don't understand his advanced rigging technique and fish preservation skills doesn't mean that others except Remas do.

If you know what's best for your pure heart, you will leave this place.

Point well taken. Rimas made it to (almost) American Samoa under sail, from (almost) the West Coast of the US in a 120 day passage. He showed up chipper and in good condition. His sail trim, navigation and ship's storage systems might be a little odd but Rimas must be considered as one of the greatest navigators in modern times because his severely limited assets did not deter him.

He's stated his departure from American Samoa will be May 15th, 2015, headed for Cape Horn. His FundMe(?) account is stuck at about 1900 dollars, with a goal of $4000 for essential repairs, upgrades and ship's stores, by April. I may contribute 5 bucks just to see the slight uptick. This man has a bone in his teeth and will not be deterred until the ultimate man overboard, ship sinking lost at sea end, or drifting to an even better US or foreign island (unlikely).

We shall see. Rounding Cape Horn is not in the cards.

Remember that he was yelling, "I'm off to cape horn, I'm off to cape horn!" before and during his departure from Hawaii, but ended up making a bee-line for SF. So this Cape Horn talk may all be BS for the fundly account while his destination could be Japan or elsewhere.

Well said except you made the statement, his destination. To set sail with a destination doesn't one have to plot a course on a chart first then when underway steer on a course towards your intended destination? To me it appears that Neptune alone sets Remas's destination. Remas just goes along for the ride. I'm afraid to offer monetary support for his venture on the grounds I may be contributing to his demise.

Wonder if Remas would be interested in a job if one was offered?

Point well taken. Rimas made it to (almost) American Samoa under sail, from (almost) the West Coast of the US in a 120 day passage. He showed up chipper and in good condition. His sail trim, navigation and ship's storage systems might be a little odd but Rimas must be considered as one of the greatest navigators in modern times because his severely limited assets did not deter him.

He's stated his departure from American Samoa will be May 15th, 2015, headed for Cape Horn. His FundMe(?) account is stuck at about 1900 dollars, with a goal of $4000 for essential repairs, upgrades and ship's stores, by April. I may contribute 5 bucks just to see the slight uptick. This man has a bone in his teeth and will not be deterred until the ultimate man overboard, ship sinking lost at sea end, or drifting to an even better US or foreign island (unlikely).

$1900 is the amount donated in the past year, I suspect much of it was already spent before leaving SF. It will probably take more than $4000 to repair and provision the boat, and that doesn't include labor. Rimas unlikely to find free labor, and he won't lift a gfinger himself... so who's going to do the work? I don't see him making a May departure. I agree that there's not a chance of getting anywhere near Chile.

That account was set up over a year ago and the $1,900 reflects only the amounts contributed by the enablers since its inception, not the current balance. I think Shannon set up the account when the Great Mariner was still in Hawaii and in need of repairs and provisioning. Is there actually $1,900 available for the entitled one's current wants? Your guess is as good as mine.

Well said except you made the statement, his destination. To set sail with a destination doesn't one have to plot a course on a chart first then when underway steer on a course towards your intended destination? To me it appears that Neptune alone sets Remas's destination. Remas just goes along for the ride. I'm afraid to offer monetary support for his venture on the grounds I may be contributing to his demise.

Wonder if Remas would be interested in a job if one was offered?

One time on Facebook, Jean ask if anyone knew where to route Rimas to avoid an upcoming island. I ask if Jean was to supply a waypoint that would provide clear passage around the island, would that work. Jean responded that Rimas could not steer to any "point" and pretty much went where the wind blew him. Also, there is a guy in Great Brittan that feeds courses and weather info to Rimas via the DeLorme. I doubt if Rimas was left alone that he could plot a course anywhere.