Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

I'm still astonished that he found AS, and doubt he could have done it on his own. Why do people want to "help" this idiot?

It's like giving the bum on the corner a buck for your conscience's sake. You know it's going to go into cooking wine or crack...

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

I'm still astonished that he found AS, and doubt he could have done it on his own. Why do people want to "help" this idiot?

It's like giving the bum on the corner a buck for your conscience's sake. You know it's going to go into cooking wine or crack...

Bingo. He's a bum on a corner. Except he has a boat of sorts. And he has a fundraising shpiel that gets ignorant dreamers to donate.

It would be safer for Rimas if we just send him cooking wine and crack. He can see his days out on a beach somewhere safely and in a pleasant fug.

as to the ongoing debate as to whether to donate or not....

I won't. But it isn't to save Rimas's neck. No, I fear that ship may yet sail and there is nothing I can do to stop that.

However what gets me is the NEXT guy who suddenly finds some of this saga and says, "Wow, $500 for a boat and I can get to paradise? Where do I start?" Never actually reading to the end. That's where I sign off.

I won't. But it isn't to save Rimas's neck. No, I fear that ship may yet sail and there is nothing I can do to stop that.

However what gets me is the NEXT guy who suddenly finds some of this saga and says, "Wow, $500 for a boat and I can get to paradise? Where do I start?" Never actually reading to the end. That's where I sign off.

True and I wonder if we'll see more of this. Boats are cheap cheap right now.

Yes, that what pisses me off. If Rimas had bought a cheap boat, prepared it properly, and learned to sail; I'd buy the book and be his biggest cheerleader. But he's a trainwreck looking for a place to happen. Non-sailors don't understand that, and may be inclined to emulate him. It would suck if there was a couple hundred Rimases drifting/freeloading their way across the oceans. 1) It would give real cruisers on a budget a bad name. 2) It might lead to additional rules/regulations that really aren't necessary except to protect the Rimases from their incompetence. For example, Australia already has strict regulations on safety gear and stuff that even foreigners have to have before being allowed to go to sea.

Yes boats are cheap. So are tomtoms, delormes, and tows. This could be the beginning of a new generation of cruisers.

I will concede that Rimas seems to be quite happy living at a comfort level well below anything most of us would care to endure. I'd probably last a week on a sj24 before i threw in the towel, and likely less if it were equipped with upside down sails

Hey, weren't you a teenager once? Remember back then when you were invincible? Well the worlds full of those types and they don't need any Remas to set them off they are quite capable of doing that without anyone's help.I had a discussion with my best friend many years ago about this laser sailing thing he was restoring. I commented how the design was not safe and I suggested he burn it. He replied, your right she is a bit tricky to handle but I can handle her. Less than a year later the laser thing killed him on a blustery memorial day in 87.

fate is not ours to decide

Since he "walked" across Canada and rode atop a freight train across Mongolia, I think Rimas might find a SJ24 pretty comfortable compared to his prior adventures. In any case, it's probably better than living in a box under an overpass (except for the risk of imminent death thing).

you mean how much did other's spend on the caulking he used

You mean, "How much did others spend on the caulk that those same others did the work to seal up the leaks?"

I can't prove it, but I can't believe that Rimas had the motivation or skill to caulk himself.

You mean, "How much did others spend on the caulk that those same others did the work to seal up the leaks?"

I can't prove it, but I can't believe that Rimas had the motivation or skill to caulk himself.

Water could be spurting in around the perimeter of the hatch every wave, and Rimas would probably be oblivious to it. Remember, this is the guy who discovered his oats (stored in a paper bag!) had gotten wet in a storm a month earlier. His claim he inspected the rig every day is pretty laughable...he exists in a Mittyesque dream quite divorced from reality.

I suspect that Rimas has lots of skill caulking himself.

I suspect that Rimas has lots of skill caulking himself.

didn't you see the pic where he caulked his own face ?

Does anyone know if he actually has US citizenship?

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. He goes on and n about "greatest American sailing adventure in San Juan 24 foot," And his caricature radially over-size American flag just screams of more delusional lies.

Is anyone offended by his glomming onto a culture known for tolerance and generosity?

That account was set up over a year ago and the $1,900 reflects only the amounts contributed by the enablers since its inception, not the current balance. I think Shannon set up the account when the Great Mariner was still in Hawaii and in need of repairs and provisioning. Is there actually $1,900 available for the entitled one's current wants? Your guess is as good as mine.

...the account was set up at the beginning of this thread,when all was fresh and new...

.........and we didn't realize what a rim ass Rimas is! :mellow:<_<

Yes boats are cheap. So are tomtoms, delormes, and tows. This could be the beginning of a new generation of cruisers.

I will concede that Rimas seems to be quite happy living at a comfort level well below anything most of us would care to endure. I'd probably last a week on a sj24 before i threw in the towel, and likely less if it were equipped with upside down sails

......these comments are very similar to the general discussion over nanny culture adventurers with trackers and,or cellphones.

If not for the Internet, none of this would have happened.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. He goes on and n about "greatest American sailing adventure in San Juan 24 foot," And his caricature radially over-size American flag just screams of more delusional lies.

Is anyone offended by his glomming onto a culture known for tolerance and generosity?

Yes, in the interviews and news articles, it says that he fled the Soviet Union in 1988 by hiding in a embassy, some say US and at least one said Iran. He obtained US citizenship years later.

Some more trivia. Jean said that Rimas was eligible for Social Security benefits starting in December. It appears that he turned 63 then. Jean was encouraging him to apply and get the checks started.

Some more trivia. Jean said that Rimas was eligible for Social Security benefits starting in December. It appears that he turned 63 then. Jean was encouraging him to apply and get the checks started.

.....isn't that a pension based on how much you earned in your career? :mellow:

........no news 'moneyshots' from Rimas today...has he found this thread? :rolleyes:

Yes, that what pisses me off. If Rimas had bought a cheap boat, prepared it properly, and learned to sail; I'd buy the book and be his biggest cheerleader. But he's a trainwreck looking for a place to happen. Non-sailors don't understand that, and may be inclined to emulate him. It would suck if there was a couple hundred Rimases drifting/freeloading their way across the oceans. 1) It would give real cruisers on a budget a bad name. 2) It might lead to additional rules/regulations that really aren't necessary except to protect the Rimases from their incompetence. For example, Australia already has strict regulations on safety gear and stuff that even foreigners have to have before being allowed to go to sea.

No one can emulate him.

No one else could be so immune to learning.

How do you cross that much ocean without learning to sail?

Yes, in the interviews and news articles, it says that he fled the Soviet Union in 1988 by hiding in a embassy, some say US and at least one said Iran. He obtained US citizenship years later.

I can't imagine with the time spent walking across Canada and his other "adventures" Reamus was able to come close to the number of points he'd need to collect SS. He may have, but I seriously doubt it. Welfare is likely his only option until age 65.

I can't imagine with the time spent walking across Canada and his other "adventures" Reamus was able to come close to the number of points he'd need to collect SS. He may have, but I seriously doubt it. Welfare is likely his only option until age 65.
He needs 10 years of paying in to SS to qualify. I doubt that's happened.

He needs 10 years of paying in to SS to qualify. I doubt that's happened.

Not so sure about that now that the SS fund has been ravaged er misappropriated mis-managed by our trusted leaders. I think there's been some minimum for naturalized folks for awhile. Anecdotal data only. I do think that's how AS became a destination. I've heard it referred to as a welfare community.

^yea, there's all kinds of rules and exceptions. I far from expert, but pretty sure about having to pay in for 10 years to be able to collect. Might be wrong though. If Rimas sought treatment for his mental illness there's a possibility he could collect disability payments.

I don't think there is a way around the 40 quarters (10 years) working requirement for Social Security.

He might be disabled and qualify for SSSI. :blink: I think he could get Foodstamps and Welfare. Used to be you had to eventually work but the recent administration assumed the authority to grant waivers very broadly.

Added: RKoch just beat me to the disabled idea.

I thought I read somewhere that AS doles out $50/week to transients.

I saw that also. It's probably to discourage transients from taking jobs away from locals. But AFAIK any US citizen can work there.

It would appear that Rimus is finding out (much like the Cheesemonaut seeking funds for his voyage "to the mystic jungles of Guyana") that people are far less likely to donate the second time.

I wonder what ever happened to "Andy" (I think) who bailed from the floating reef to seek his fortune searching for gold in the mountains there.

I wonder what ever happened to "Andy" (I think) who bailed from the floating reef to seek his fortune searching for gold in the mountains there.

Wrong thread, but I know that he was throwing in with a tough crowd.

I think the gold-seekers there are doing so illegally and are generally fairly lawless and intolerant and suspicious of outsiders.

God bless Andy.

Not sure if this was posted before, but it gives you a good look at the cocked up caulk job on the bow. It's like somebody gave a 4 year old a tube of goo and let him at it. I believe this is Rimas' work.

10929186_391453761013529_249552609984904

I'm with Ish and bigrpwr on his one - looks more like an "accident' from pounding his way through Nat Geo.

Not sure if this was posted before, but it gives you a good look at the cocked up caulk job on the bow. It's like somebody gave a 4 year old a tube of goo and let him at it. I believe this is Rimas' work.

10929186_391453761013529_249552609984904

I'm with Ish and bigrpwr on his one - looks more like an "accident' from pounding his way through Nat Geo.

Plus, I've never known a stop leak effort like this to work for long. Boats, motorhomes ... nutin like removal ... recaulk.

Over 180,000 views later, Rimas is obviously the star of the show but no-one sees fit to make fun of a SJ24 any longer. In spite of the clear shortcomings of the skipper, this $500.00 sailboat is still afloat and the mast is still standing. I have sailed SJ24s for 35 years and I still get the impression that, when things get rough, the brew will break much sooner than the boat will.

The boat hasnt really been tested. It survived a driftathon but if it had to cross in heavy seas and wind it may not have survived. Hard to say.

+1 First decent Tasman gale or Southern Ocean gale and that boat will break something. It'll be rudder or and rig; both of which you need.

Feexed.

I notice that I haven't seen any pictures of the winch with it's head on since the "rebuild" one.

I'd be shocked if the winch was fixed, and pretty surprised if the boat has been cleaned up. I suspect it's still sitting same as earlier picture...jib laying on deck, main wadded up on boom, uncoiled lines strewn about, broken stanchion, etc.

Prove it. :P

Edit: Damn, someone beat me to it.

The boat hasnt really been tested. It survived a driftathon but if it had to cross in heavy seas and wind it may not have survived. Hard to say.

Hasn't really been tested? The boat has been Rimas-ized!

He endured several nasty winter storms last year in the pacific on his way to SF. (ohey i am in danger now!)

Then he sailed it into a curricane off of mexico on his way to AS.

Add on top of that , he has no seamanship skills.

I would say the boat has been well tested. Maybe not the southern ocean, but the boat has put up with both the weather and mass quantities of incompetence.

Props to the SJ24!

He endured several nasty winter storms last year in the pacific on his way to SF. (ohey i am in danger now!)

I would say the boat has been well tested. Maybe not the southern ocean, but the boat has put up with both the weather and mass quantities of incompetence.

Props to the SJ24!

...I'd have to say that Rimass' sailing style doesn't add much stress to the keel area...you'd have to heel the boat to do that! :mellow:

I would encourarage anyone thinking of donating money ti Rimas instead give it to their local coast gaurd group. Because sooner or later some SAR group is going to have to risk their lives to save Rimas from his life. It's only a question of time before he hits the panic button again.

Props to the SJ24!

I'd take Rimas reporting a `storm' or `Curricane' with a grain of salt. In fact... a packet of salt.

Props to the SJ24!

I'd take Rimas reporting a `storm' or `Curricane' with a grain of salt. In fact... a packet of salt.

post-113484-0-35350900-1421186684_thumb.jpg

ok, so you got a point about the keel thing, but his rigging must take a beating. And the rudder hardware too as its probably not manned at all. The SJ24 has definitely been in some nasty weather.

ok, so you got a point about the keel thing, but his rigging must take a beating. And the rudder hardware too as its probably not manned at all. The SJ24 has definitely been in some nasty weather.

Define `nasty'… no 4 and two reefs `nasty'. storm jib and tri `nasty', storm tri only `nasty'.

Rimas doesn't have the means to run square in breaking seas. He has no drogue or understanding of one and no wind vane. Nor do I think he could set a trisail and get the boat to jog to weather into the seas.

At best he lies ahull.

Lying ahull in nasty weather is an immediate recipe for having thin aged windows smashed in and/or being rolled. Especially in such a small light sailboat.

Since that hasn't happened, I don't think `nasty' has happened to Rimas yet. Not Tasman Sea `nasty', not Southern Ocean `nasty'… only `Pacific nasty'. He was too far away from the curricane to have it said that he went through it.

Even a competent sailor in that tired boat is at risk, much less Rimas, should it encounter a real storm, not a `Rimas storm'

The" Heavy Seas"........This Rimustorm clearly shows the havoc and high breaking rogue waves Rimus encountered... but his maximum Kaptain Krunch skills came through ...All is Ohey post-67665-0-92422500-1421192104_thumb.jpg

Dont forget "banging on my head all night"

Define `nasty'… no 4 and two reefs `nasty'. storm jib and tri `nasty', storm tri only `nasty'.

Rimas doesn't have the means to run square in breaking seas. He has no drogue or understanding of one and no wind vane. Nor do I think he could set a trisail and get the boat to jog to weather into the seas.

At best he lies ahull.

Lying ahull in nasty weather is an immediate recipe for having thin aged windows smashed in and/or being rolled. Especially in such a small light sailboat.

Since that hasn't happened, I don't think `nasty' has happened to Rimas yet. Not Tasman Sea `nasty', not Southern Ocean `nasty'… only `Pacific nasty'. He was too far away from the curricane to have it said that he went through it.

Even a competent sailor in that tired boat is at risk, much less Rimas, should it encounter a real storm, not a `Rimas storm'

Very astute sir.

are you forgetting that often boats without crew survive the nastiest storms virtually unscathed? Remas's j24 is like one of those abandoned boats don't you think?

The boats that survived storms unscathed are the boats that can survive the storms unscathed… if that makes sense.

I don't think his San Juan 24 will be amongst them if it has to go through high latitude storms. Rimas is still talking about the Horn.

There are also boats that are never found again.

Here is where I got the news that Rimas was able to get Social Security benefits. I know you need 40 quarters to be eligible. I don't know how the quarters are calculated, but I know that Social Security keeps records of all taxable income. Even the $10 I earned in 1970. I am sure his payout will not be much since he did not seem to work consistently for any length of time.

This is from Facebook:

Jean Mondeau I'm innocent on his tow in (sorta). Hey I was starting to feel his hunger pains. I could just visualize his bloated stomach on a skinny frame. Anyways his social security starts this month when he turns 63 and that mother $&@€ is gonna buy an engine with his first check.

December 9, 2014 at 8:00pm · Like · 1

I live in a poor neighborhood with several foreigners that have never worked that are on ssi and all are very healthy and could work. Two are Russians, one fugi islander not sure of the others. One Russian I was friendly with said he came to the states eight years ago and has been on ssi the whole time. He also had a new car given to him and a house better than mine. I found out about the car when he told me his daughter wanted to get a drivers license and she said for her to do that he had to sign the car over to her. I warned him if he did that the car was hers. He replied well he would call the police and have her arrested if she took his car. I explained the police would do nothing if he signed the pink slip over to her and that she could get a license without him signing the pink slip to her. A week went by and the Russian came by all pissed off to talk and ask my advice. He signed the car over to her and she sold it so he called the police and they wouldn't do anything. Boy was he pissed at the police. This is a true story and one I would have never believed if it hadn't of happened to me. The fugi's are new and I have been learning things from them. They are also on ssi and they have lived in several countries. They explained that different countries have different rules. They said you can live pretty good in Australia for two years then they cut you off. They lived there before fugi. Haven't found out why they left fugi for the USA yet but I will eventually. Their daughter a single parent has an anchor baby so she is set for life. Not sure how this works but I know some get on by seeking diplomatic protection others by working for US contractors in foreign countries. etc. All this needs to stop

Now for the record these are all good people and good neighbors its the US system with its entitlements for foreigners paid for with our SSI payments that causes this problem. I don't think any other country in the world has an anchor baby law but the USA.

So, I think we agree he's got no chance of sailing upwind to South America. So, if he ever gets off this rock, what is downwind? New Zealand and Australia? He may run out of downwind after that. I wonder if he realizes that?

So, I think we agree he's got no chance of sailing upwind to South America. So, if he ever gets off this rock, what is downwind? New Zealand and Australia? He may run out of downwind after that. I wonder if he realizes that?

If he ever gets to N.Z. or the south parts of Oz, then downwind from there is CHILE!

If he ever gets to N.Z. or the south parts of Oz, then downwind from there is CHILE!

I'm sure Rimas would get on well with the Roaring 40's. :ph34r:

I call total BS on that fairy tale!

Perhaps you should turn off Faux News and watch something like SpongeBob - at least it's more factual!

And by the way, it's Fiji, not Fuji

Take yer politics and stuff it up yer ass.

Then go fuck yourself.

you can call it anything you want but I was speaking of personal experience with neighbors not all that into working. Sorry for misspelling Figi Those neighbors be in Sacramento ca. not Oregon. For some reason freeloaders like Ca. Look at Rimas, went to the Ca. then to the Sandwich Islands then back to Ca. were he said he received the highest quality food he had ever had before heading to pago pago. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in SF, or maybe SD by summer

It's FIJI not FIGI

And since you two obviously failed to elevate your reading comprehension beyond Sesame St, allow me to explain that this is a thread about an incompetent boob drifting aimlessly across the Pacific, politics is a few doors down.

Sorry that I didn't have any crayons to help illustrate

I live in a poor neighborhood with several foreigners that have never worked that are on ssi and all are very healthy and could work. Two are Russians, one fugi islander not sure of the others. One Russian I was friendly with said he came to the states eight years ago and has been on ssi the whole time. He also had a new car given to him and a house better than mine. I found out about the car when he told me his daughter wanted to get a drivers license and she said for her to do that he had to sign the car over to her. I warned him if he did that the car was hers. He replied well he would call the police and have her arrested if she took his car. I explained the police would do nothing if he signed the pink slip over to her and that she could get a license without him signing the pink slip to her. A week went by and the Russian came by all pissed off to talk and ask my advice. He signed the car over to her and she sold it so he called the police and they wouldn't do anything. Boy was he pissed at the police. This is a true story and one I would have never believed if it hadn't of happened to me. The fugi's are new and I have been learning things from them. They are also on ssi and they have lived in several countries. They explained that different countries have different rules. They said you can live pretty good in Australia for two years then they cut you off. They lived there before fugi. Haven't found out why they left fugi for the USA yet but I will eventually. Their daughter a single parent has an anchor baby so she is set for life. Not sure how this works but I know some get on by seeking diplomatic protection others by working for US contractors in foreign countries. etc. All this needs to stop

Now for the record these are all good people and good neighbors its the US system with its entitlements for foreigners paid for with our SSI payments that causes this problem. I don't think any other country in the world has an anchor baby law but the USA.

Why the fuck do we let people like this into the country??? I know, I know ..... take it to PA. But JFC!

dont worry, its BS.

That's funny. He's a dead man for sure if goes far enough South to catch those winds.

It's close-hauled much of the way to NZ, I can't see him making that. He might make Oz, but they have stringent safety standards and probably won't let him leave. If he gets towed out the harbor, my bet is he drifts west or northwest....but it's going to take some work and $ to repair, refit, and provision the boat; I suspect it will be beyond his means, skills, and motivation. Rimas is unlikely to find a Jean in AS that's willing to do all the work for him for free, and he's not willing to work on it himself.

yes and more.

In Ca. it means the baby is a US citizen and it must be provided the necessities like a home, car for transportation full medical benefits and income for ma pa even if not married as well as other kids. Ca. voters passed a law in 2004 I believe, not sure of the year, which limited new arrivals to the same benefits they would have gotten in the state or country they came from for five years. When it passed the legislature there were riots in Mexico City, but they didn't have to worry cause the feds stepped in and said the new law was unconstitutional so it was repealed. The anchor baby law is federal and I think it was born in our countries beginning when we wanted people to stay and settle here.

Maybe Rimas gets a tow because he's worried about crashing into other people's boats seeing he is engineless?

& Yeah Reid is equally crazy but he's proven to be a navigator, sailor & all round seamen.

agreed

he's makin' reid look accomplished

quite a feat

yes and more.

In Ca. it means the baby is a US citizen and it must be provided the necessities like a home, car for transportation full medical benefits and income for ma pa even if not married as well as other kids. Ca. voters passed a law in 2004 I believe, not sure of the year, which limited new arrivals to the same benefits they would have gotten in the state or country they came from for five years. When it passed the legislature there were riots in Mexico City, but they didn't have to worry cause the feds stepped in and said the new law was unconstitutional so it was repealed. The anchor baby law is federal and I think it was born in our countries beginning when we wanted people to stay and settle here.

It's impolite to jerk off in public. Can you go do it somewhere in private? Then, perhaps, you could go read up on this shit. Here's a link to a Forbes magazine article saying, basically, that you're full of shit: http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemotiuk/2014/09/22/immigration-the-myth-of-the-anchor-baby/

yes and more.

Oh, bullshit.