Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Tri-Marine is opening a new tuna processing plant in A.S. 1500 new jobs.

I read that the workers at the existing plant are mostly from Western Samoa, as the locals would not work for the 4 something an hour wages when govt funded and related work paid far better. The new plant will likely pool from the same workers off island for the processing and benefit the tax base of Pago Pago.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

If he's getting $50 a week from AS welfare plus maybe food stamps on an EBT card, and what? several hundred a mo when whatever kind of SS kicks in, and presumably soon, he'll be in relatively high cotton. Git him one o dos big Somoan gals to help choke that chicken ... sheeeit! He won't be the first great great adventurer to succumb to those South Pacific charms. No less an adventurer than Moitessier, himself fell in with thinner, and more attractive Tahitians, although he may have smoked 'em pretty. The list goes on: Fletcher Christian, Herman (the MAN) Melville, Paul Gauguin (who had more canvas than Rimas), Gardener McKay, Jacques Cousteau (what's with Falco, right?), Jimmy Cook.

I think we can all agree the name Rimas Meleshylus, should be added to this list, nay, placed at the very top of any list of great adventure sailors. How many of the others walked across Canada?

Go the Rimas!

Of all the gifts and donations Rimas received, the life ring appeared in the most photos. He has taken photos for his "book" of all his gifts to show his appreciation, right down to a motor mount from Lat 38. Along with the Delorme posts that included personal thanks, we should remember he is not ungrateful. His travels will make an interesting book.

If you dumb mother-fuckers kill this thread because of bullshit politics/immigration talk I'll be pissed off.

giphy.gif

+1 staying on topic and on taking the politics to PA...

Meanwhile, as we wait for our "Hero" to figure out how to get more free WIFI to upload the 1000s of photos he has w, a perusal of his FB page shows a couple of hilarious "likes":

Banknotes Banknotes

10891800_1429626340661024_79618044888432

U.S. Coast Guard

988445_10152128117292679_756152148_n.jpg

U.S. Coast Guard Pacific Area

10487389_680467785342418_331463958723855

And finally "None Yet"

1001272_211116032389500_1502284553_n.jpg

WTF?

No shit he likes the Coast Guard, they relieve him from the responsibility of bring prepared and knowing how to sail. Unfortunately, from here on out the CG will be out of range to save his ass.

I have no idea why he likes Madagascar Bank notes, but I noticed he likes SA. LOL

Curiously, he claims 5,000 photos and 50 videos during the combined voyages. That's like 25 pictures a day and a video every 3 days. I doubt he has the thumb drives or wherewithal to store this much media. I suspect the published photos are culled and we are seeing only the best photos, a few dozen out of the alleged thousands he took.

Someone (Jean?) may have the whole 5,000 pictures stored handily and may publish them. Based on what we've seen Rimas's reject photos could be revealing.

Of all the gifts and donations Rimas received, the life ring appeared in the most photos. He has taken photos for his "book" of all his gifts to show his appreciation, right down to a motor mount from Lat 38. Along with the Delorme posts that included personal thanks, we should remember he is not ungrateful. His travels will make an interesting book.

....Rimas,if you're reading this,,,,maybe you'd do well to set up a go-fund-me for pre-sales of your book! :);)

Crazy like a fox our Rimas......

I suggest he is printing the Madagascar Bank notes using a laser printer ($500 Ariary = 20cents US) in a noble attempt to pick up where crowdfunding fell short...... passing them off at the local bank (who knows what a real Ariary looks like anyway....

...he'll find they are @ $1.50 a laser copy soon enough and be worse in debt....

Late to the party as was out for lunch.

rimas28.jpg

I don't fish. Could someone who does comment on whether the fish looks somewhat tired in some of these pictures? Not so fresh?

That fish isnt tired, it'd well past dead. Solid as a plank dead. Stinky dead.
Nah, it's sleeping.

That's there is a Norwegian Blue Mahi. It's just pining for the fjords.

Nah, that fish will buff right out, no problem. And sauna, shut the fuck up.

I'm thinking Kevin Costner as Rimas.

I'm thinking Mr Bean. Or Mr Magoo. Or Beaker.

425621277_o.jpg

Ohey, I'm caught up, calling master sailmaker Dennis Clark, I wonder if he can believe that one of his sails made it all the miles it has? I also think that the Mighty Rimus has re-invented sail choice and trim and that all you wannabe offshore sailors better be going to school on his "unique" technique. Nice rime eh? Calling all Trolls...

… as long as Captain Rimas aka King Ineptune doesn't drown.

"King Ineptune", LOVE IT!

Someone else made that up earlier… Tom I think.

You forgot to ask if Rimas is dead yet…

JBSF has missed all the fun.

I think couchsurfer first used King Ineptune back on page 26. Wasn't me, I just thought it hilarious.

If Rimas has read this thread he must surely think his cover is blown. I feel sorta sad if we've poured cold water on Rimas's completely deluded oration of his voyage. He may be sitting on his computer now reading this thread in a confused daze about whether his con is working.

I wish he would make a shtick of sailing 20/20 latitudes and shut the fuck up about the Horn, setting records and being great etc.

I hope he pops up soon with just enough resources to drift west some more when the season is right; I think that's what will happen.

If Rimas has read this thread he must surely think his cover is blown. I feel sorta sad if we've poured cold water on Rimas's completely deluded oration of his voyage. He may be sitting on his computer now reading this thread in a confused daze about whether his con is working.

I wish he would make a shtick of sailing 20/20 latitudes and shut the fuck up about the Horn, setting records and being great etc.

I hope he pops up soon with just enough resources to drift west some more when the season is right; I think that's what will happen.

Rimas would not understand 5% of this thread and he would process it all as historic and part of the greatest sailing adventure in history

Rimas would not understand 5% of this thread and he would process it all as historic and part of the greatest sailing adventure in history

'Rimas would not understand 95% of this thread'

'Rimas would understand only 5% of this thread'

'Rimas would not understand even 5% of this thread'

I'm pretty sure your intention lay somewhere along those lines.

What you implied was that Rimas would understand 95% of this thread, which I think we all agree is not very likely.

I think couchsurfer first used King Ineptune back on page 26. Wasn't me, I just thought it hilarious.

.... I mentioned Neptune and some potential wrath,,,but I think someone else gets the 'glory' on that one :rolleyes:

......I can picture it now...sitting in McD's ...''what's this linky?''.......chokes on McNugget :lol:

....maybe,just maybe he'll start taking Jean's suggestions more seriously,,if Jean doesn't cave first :mellow:

I'm not sure he could afford a chicken mcnugget at McD's in AS...

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/mcdonalds-pago-pago

• 168 friends
  • 538 reviews

8/22/2010

McD's is predicated on cookie cutter style franchises that produce the same product no matter what the continent, or in this case, island. The prices are comparable to the USA but the one thing that I didn't appreciate is that they pre-fill the drinks at the drive thru. So, a majority of the time that you use the drive thru, your drinks will be served with melted ice, watering down your beverage. Diet coke tastes gross when there's a lot of melted ice in your cup.

you all ought to show more respect for this master mariner, at least until you have mastered the advanced technique of bungee cord duct tape upside down jib sailing Rimas has developed. This new system has allowed him to weather some nasty storms, travel back and forth to San Fran and other ports at very little cost. You have to admit he is the first to make this accomplishment and without any navigational skills or instruments besides his tracker..

.... I mentioned Neptune and some potential wrath,,,but I think someone else gets the 'glory' on that one :rolleyes:

I believe it was Norse Horse who came up with King Ineptune

Will the real comic genius please stand up?

We need topsiders on the ground in Pago to check out what's wot.

....hmm,I remember a briefing about Samoa where it said something about the population not only being big and boisterous,but also rather touchy about certain points of decorum. I forget what those were,,,but wonder if Rimass 'read the memo' before accepting or forcing himself upon local hospitality!? :wacko::blink:

.....maybe all we'll find is his topsiders,,,a sad end for Captain Ironic indeed!? :mellow:

you all ought to show more respect for this master mariner, at least until you have mastered the advanced technique of bungee cord duct tape upside down jib sailing Rimas has developed. This new system has allowed him to weather some nasty storms, travel back and forth to San Fran and other ports at very little cost. You have to admit he is the first to make this accomplishment and without any navigational skills or instruments besides his tracker..

never heard of Old Harry ? now that one was the ultimate bungeemeister !! great read too, perfect bunkside read with a wee dram at hand

an Old Harry would be the only thing I'd ever donate to Rimas, provided he's able to grasp her Majesty's lingo ;)

post-19483-0-47559900-1421588759_thumb.jpg

20/20 .

I think this is the logical path forward for Rimas, he will likely die beyond help in the cold waters of 40 south in the winter, otherwise.

We need topsiders on the ground in Pago to check out what's wot.

What are the chances of an SA'er being in A.S. Pago Pago and meeting our hero and being too polite to comment on him. :( I guess if you can't saying good then Mom said don't say anything at all, is the best maxim. If the Samoan newspaper lady said the boat needed work, it must be look rough.

I propose we help him if he goes 20/20

or even First SJ24 North Pacific Circumnavigation [First Foreigner to sail around Japan and also largest circumference around Japan as well] :)

Also note the Italian with the chicken concept, just like Rimas. :lol:

Thx to VF from Brazil for that.

http://www.matteomiceli.com/

171313528-68814d36-f759-41c3-8eb7-b64ce2

Couch was on about King Neptune and it was not too much of a effort to link it up, with Tom choosing the final spelling.

If I was in Pago Pago with a bunch of free time on my hands, I'd strike up an acquaintanceship with Rimas.

I listen to his tales of the high seas and show enthusiasm.

I'd tell him, "I can sail and navigate!" and offer to get a bunch of food for us and beg to go for a sail.

"Come on! Let's go for a sail!"

"I have no motor."

"That's alright; we'll sail away from the dock. I can do that. You just sit back and relax. This will be fun! Another butter cookie, friend?"

- ten minutes later -

"Is enough for sail. We go back to most beautiful island PayGo PayGo at now."

"Aw come on... just a little longer. Please!"

- throw in a few tacks, adjust the jib leads, etc. -

"What do you say, Rimas? Let's do a lap of the island!"

<look of utter horror>

"Come on. It'll be fun! I bet we can do it in less than a day! Have another butter cookie!"

"People say is impossible for around American Samoa in San Juan 24 foot! I having to try and it taking me 2 days to get around one corner. These butter cookies from Denmark Costco are delicious!"

"One day, max. Here we go!"

"Please to stop!"

"OK. If you won't go for fun sailing trip around island, I quit. I will no longer sail. You drive. Take us back."

<look of horror>

- 14 hours later -

"We're back! Wasn't that fun?!"

"How do you making the San Juan 24 foot to point in those funny directions?"

"What funny directions? You just sail, friend! Let's tidy up the boat and go find a cold beer somewhere. My treat and a way of saying thank you for pleasant sail! Where did you stow the sail cover?"

Soliton?

The guy who favorably compared Rimas to Slocum?

Or the tipster who pointed the way towards the whaler's shortcut?

If it were any more obvious it would have bit you!

Put Anthony Hopkins on a starvation diet for a month and give him a buzz-cut.

Voila! Rimas, the Movie!

anthony_hopkins_as_rimas_368px.jpg

After Silence of the Lambs, I don't think he could pull it off. Appears to be too intelligent. It would be like Ned Beatty pulling off a stud-muffin role?

If the locals in AS are anything like the locals here , friendly but poor , before too long they will tire of taking care of a sailing bum n wish him to leave .islands don't have much room for dead weight and there is no pity for those who cannot master the sea amongst local fisherman that don't have modern boats either.

If the locals in AS are anything like the locals here , friendly but poor , before too long they will tire of taking care of a sailing bum n wish him to leave .islands don't have much room for dead weight and there is no pity for those who cannot master the sea amongst local fisherman that don't have modern boats either.

I imagine most kids know how to sail around the island, or are at least familiar with boats, so I can't imagine there would be much patience for Rimas talking about it heroic terms.

I've lived on many islands over the years and one thing is for sure there are no secrets word gets around fast and with so many people being related too. He needs to be nice and humble and respect traditions if he wants to be welcomed and not end up chum. It may be a US territory but island law is the way of life

After Silence of the Lambs, I don't think [Anthony Hopkins] could pull it off. Appears to be too intelligent. It would be like Ned Beatty pulling off a stud-muffin role?

How can I tell you've never spent time with an actor?

Why would insult Anthony Hopkins with that statement.

That's what they do. They act. Smart, stupid, strong, weak... it's all acting.

never heard of Old Harry ? now that one was the ultimate bungeemeister !! great read too, perfect bunkside read with a wee dram at hand

an Old Harry would be the only thing I'd ever donate to Rimas, provided he's able to grasp her Majesty's lingo ;)

This Des Sleighthome book somehow reminds me of Rimas:

H1013BX-190x190.jpg

If I was in Pago Pago with a bunch of free time on my hands, I'd strike up an acquaintanceship with Rimas.

I listen to his tales of the high seas and show enthusiasm.

I'd tell him, "I can sail and navigate!" and offer to get a bunch of food for us and beg to go for a sail.

"Come on! Let's go for a sail!"

"I have no motor."

"That's alright; we'll sail away from the dock. I can do that. You just sit back and relax. This will be fun! Another butter cookie, friend?"

- ten minutes later -

"Is enough for sail. We go back to most beautiful island PayGo PayGo at now."

"Aw come on... just a little longer. Please!"

- throw in a few tacks, adjust the jib leads, etc. -

"What do you say, Rimas? Let's do a lap of the island!"

<look of utter horror>

"Come on. It'll be fun! I bet we can do it in less than a day! Have another butter cookie!"

"People say is impossible for around American Samoa in San Juan 24 foot! I having to try and it taking me 2 days to get around one corner. These butter cookies from Denmark Costco are delicious!"

"One day, max. Here we go!"

"Please to stop!"

"OK. If you won't go for fun sailing trip around island, I quit. I will no longer sail. You drive. Take us back."

<look of horror>

- 14 hours later -

"We're back! Wasn't that fun?!"

"How do you making the San Juan 24 foot to point in those funny directions?"

"What funny directions? You just sail, friend! Let's tidy up the boat and go find a cold beer somewhere. My treat and a way of saying thank you for pleasant sail! Where did you stow the sail cover?"

I think your the idiot in that story.

After Silence of the Lambs, I don't think [Anthony Hopkins] could pull it off. Appears to be too intelligent. It would be like Ned Beatty pulling off a stud-muffin role?

No intention to insult Anthony Hopkins. He is an awesome actor. Point was the ineptitude of Rimas.

Don't take things to literally.

Sure you don't want to edit that sentence, Professor? (My first Grammar Nazi post! Yay!)

Your first GN post after over 1,200 others? A bit late to the party but welcome. It's about goddamn time!

Sure you don't want to edit that sentence, Professor? (My first Grammar Nazi post! Yay!)

Your first GN post after over 1,200 others? A bit late to the party but welcome. It's about goddamn time!

Thanks. Been here since 2004. Getting more crotchety in my advancing years.

No intention to insult Anthony Hopkins. He is an awesome actor. Point was the ineptitude of Rimas.

....actor or not,,don't you think most intelligent minds would implode simply trying to grasp that which is Rimass...I know mine has!

Pee Wee Herman as Rimas for sure. It's a comedy right?

...yes!,,,,and there's chickens involved too! :)

....or perhaps the folks at the Barefoot Bar have seen him?...they certainly might be interested to trade a few rums to make an addition to their life-ring collection :)tisasbarefootbar.com

l.jpg

a pretty nice setting for a wayfaring Ruskiemerican....

o.jpg

......looking at the # of recent reviews posted,,this seems to be quite a popular place... http://www.tripadvis...go_Tutuila.html I'll maybe ask a favor of them :rolleyes:

...with some 30 town names over a ~24mile long island,,,I can only think that Rimas could have a fine time doing one of his barefoot walking tours if he ever gets thrown out tired of Pago.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Pago+Pago+Harbour,+American+Samoa/@-14.2938817,-170.700048,12z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x71a684db65091f45:0xd680e648514b5996

...if he's smart,,he'll morph nicely into a good christian and be humbly willing to receive their generosity salvation. http://www.americansamoa.travel/attending-church

..with a population of 55,000(!) staunch christians,,,he'd do well...paradise indeed!!

....actor or not,,don't you think most intelligent minds would implode simply trying to grasp that which is Rimass...I know mine has!

>Pee Wee Herman as Rimas for sure. It's a comedy right?

...yes!,,,,and there's chickens involved too! :)

Pee Wee has certainly demonstrated his willingness to strangle said fowl in front of an audience.

From Facebook:

Rimas, this is my doctor friend Richard who will be doing some work at the LBJ medical clinic in Pago this week. He is bringing a duffle bag full of food I packed for you. Enjoy!

DgNWq6l.png

From Facebook:

Rimas, this is my doctor friend Richard who will be doing some work at the LBJ medical clinic in Pago this week. He is bringing a duffle bag full of food I packed for you. Enjoy!

DgNWq6l.png

.......^^........wow,,,there IS a god for Rimas,,,in the face of Jean!

..it'll be interesting to see whether Jean will hold the line in the end,or break-down and give Rimas all he expects without meeting conditions. I hope Jean keeps it in mind that there's a life at stake :mellow:

...these often work with a straight copy/paste ;)

UFGnMzsF2ZJ2U.gif

...I wonder how Rimas is doing with the protocols and customs!? :huh:

http://www.americansamoa.travel/visiting-villages-and-beaches

Thanks Couch!

I thought I tried a copy/paste on the but I got some message that was not an acceptable file type. Anyway you got it to work. I was looking at Mr Bean images to PhotoShop him into one of Rimas' posters and found this GIF site that had bunches of Mr Bean gifs. I would use this one of him on the high dive as my Avatar if that was still possible on SA. I'm sure everyone remember the avatar of the sailor chick in New Orleans, forget the name which was gif format at its finest.

Ruebens would be fine.

A production question has to be what does Rimas offer that is so attractive to Shannon and Jean?

Just cast them as "Canadians" ! :o

This is what Shannon said on page one. I suppose he has a soft spot for travellers, if he is indeed a pilot.

Quote;

" I don't know much history on the boat but it is very stock and probably an OEM rig. As far as the tracker goes, I promised him that when he first got the boat. Rimas had no money and I figured people might be more apt to help him out and donate stuff he really needed to increase his chance of success if they would be able to follow along on his journey. Also when he needs to stop for repairs and supplies, it might give him more credit with people when they can see what he has already done (or just add to the evidence that he's a bit crazy!) Anyway, I think it helped because a lot of people donated a lot of safety gear, spares, and food. I just wish he could of waited longer and done a proper refit of the boat, but he was determined to leave this year. But honestly, the tracker isn't as much for Rimas as it is for me. I'm just really interested in seeing how he does."

post-105471-0-18558300-1421806841_thumb.jpg

post-105471-0-26229000-1421806843_thumb.jpg

Of course he turned it down. Rimas has learned all one needs is a j24 and a tracker to float the oceans of the world. :)

Shut the door!! He got a new boat?

First pic looks like the same 4ksb, the second picture he is standing in front of a boat. Usually he would be draped in a 30" orange ring buoy which hides stuff like that.

Of course he turned it down. Rimas has learned all one needs is a j24 and a tracker to float the oceans of the world. :)

Shut the door!! He got a new boat?

First pic looks like the same 4ksb, the second picture he is standing in front of a boat. Usually he would be draped in a 30" orange ring buoy which hides stuff like that.

Sometimes the 5 day old rotten Mahi obscures the life ring.

"First pic looks like the same 4ksb, the second picture he is standing in front of a boat. Usually he would be draped in a 30" orange ring buoy which hides stuff like that."

The pics are from the Oak Harbor voyage, before he lost the life raft on the leg from Hilo, from a social media site I can't find right now. They were tiny jpegs.

I see Rimas has not updated his FB home page, the greeting copy is dated 2013. He claims to be able SM savvy, but, I suspect it was done for him by Shannon and he is unable to change it himself.