• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

Lighten up folks. Amazingly, Rimas has drifted and hit the jackpot where somehow the American Government cannot let him die.

Either Rimas hooks up with a nice situation in AS and shitcans the boat for the good time ashore, or some nasty officials tell him to get out of Dodge, or Rimas himself decides to shove off after meager repairs and replenishments, allegedly in May.

We shall see May is the trigger point. Until then, Rimas's 2 year old deck shots, stupid rotting fish selfies, and travelogue SA shots, a few local shots at the transient dock aren't doing it for me.

No US coastguard helicopters in Chile. The one in Alaska was very useful to him and he nearly took advantage of a coastguard cutter's services off Hawaii but it wasn't needed.

He is racking up a bill in avgas and diesel.

Oh... that's right, it's free.

If you want the monkey to dance, you have to put money in the cup.

Hahhahhahaha! Wonder how much it would take to get him to join in this conversation?

Not sure he could add much beyond trying to bullshit us, however. This is a res ipsa situation: The tracks, pics and messages tell all the story we need. The apologists/enablers are paying for the bullshit/dancing monkey.

Lighten up folks. Amazingly, Rimas has drifted and hit the jackpot where somehow the American Government cannot let him die.

Either Rimas hooks up with a nice situation in AS and shitcans the boat for the good time ashore, or some nasty officials tell him to get out of Dodge, or Rimas himself decides to shove off after meager repairs and replenishments, allegedly in May.

We shall see May is the trigger point. Until then, Rimas's 2 year old deck shots, stupid rotting fish selfies, and travelogue SA shots, a few local shots at the transient dock aren't doing it for me.

No US coastguard helicopters in Chile. The one in Alaska was very useful to him and he nearly took advantage of a coastguard cutter's services off Hawaii but it wasn't needed.

He is racking up a bill in avgas and diesel.

Oh... that's right, it's free.

Free??? yeah right, compliments of U.S. tax payers. We are being forced to pay for it! Isn't that nice?

While we're waiting... :)

I have a cat I don't like.

I could set it free in the bay in a wooden crate.

blog it.....note to self: don't even need sails.

Pretend I'm the cat and ask for donations.

I bet you I could get the same people who donated to Rimas at least.

I (insert cat) could get kidnapped by Somalian pirates and (me) ask for a veritable ransom!

Wonder if Jean works with animals?

Lot of experience with the dancing monkey.

I wouldn't mind an infusion of cash. PM me with yer bank #s and PIN.

Hurry. Bermuda I sail. Today. Maybe later. Seeking cat for ship's rat. American cat for American San Juan. Only 24. First ever. Maybe people don't give shit like fucktards at SA. Adventure. Samoan boobies I like.

The dancing monkey demands money in the cup!

Our "Hero" now aspires to be a "documenary" film maker and is looking for a well-used "spinniker" to get "toSouth Geargia island"...

WORLD RECORD ATTEMPT tO BE THE FIRST TO CIRCUMNAVIGATE THE GLOBE IN A SAN JUAN 24

I have met all kinds of great peope who have helped me gather gear and food for my jurney, which is greatly appreciated !

Please a ned donation Lie Raft, spinniker if is old is OK

I will do documenary film in h Southern ocean from Cape Horn toSouth Geargia island in the Southern Atlanticgreat adventure with you sometime in the future.

Please feel free toook me up on Facebook and follow th journey.

Thank you.

By "Lie Raft", does he mean one of these?!?

1373208036_49007-50.jpg

Today Rimas still has an internet connection and uploaded some tourist photos with the comment "need a lot of stuff". Maybe he's serious about the Cape Horn passage and is realizing the magnitude of the endeavour. A life raft is a good idea, w/ an EPIRB so the authorities can rescue his sorry ass at great cost in the southern ocean.

Today's FB post....

gallery_672_1044_3200.jpg

Needs a spinnaker [sp]?

I've singlehanded my 36' Islander a lot and hoisted the kite only a few times in perfect conditions, and been plenty scared doing so because of the takedowns. Good for +1/2kn at 160° apparent in light air. Poled out genoa is slower.

It's hard to believe Rimas has the skill set and gear to hoist a spinnaker (he does have a spinnaker pole); but needs an autopilot that will run for 5 minutes, proper lines, aft led halyard, topping lift, foreguy, sheets and guys on the clews with correctly located turning blocks. With two aboard it's doable, but singlehanded it's a handfull.

Based on his shots of jib and main trim a kite is a no go. Puleeze, somebody send him a blown out kite so we can witness the clusterf**k that will ensue. BTW, an "old spinnaker" implies a rip from leech to leech, no way to lower the upper ripped kite part, which wraps around the forestay so you can't raise a jib and you're f*cked royally and under main until harbor. Don't ask me how I know this.

I think somehow Rimas has talked to some Samoan sailboat transients and learned of the spinnaker, the importance of a liferaft, EPIRB, a lot of basic stuff and the vicissitudes of Cape Horn. Rimas is asking and begging for help, after a slow boring drift seems to realize what he is signed up for next. He's getting smarter folks and might depart AS in May with a fully founded SJ24 with his act together. We shall see.

Today's FB post....

Needs a spinnaker [sp]?

I've singlehanded my 36' Islander a lot and hoisted the kite only a few times in perfect conditions, and been plenty scared doing so because of the takedowns. Good for +1/2kn at 160° apparent in light air. Poled out genoa is slower.

It's hard to believe Rimas has the skill set and gear to hoist a spinnaker (he does have a spinnaker pole); but needs an autopilot that will run for 5 minutes, proper lines, aft led halyard, topping lift, foreguy, sheets and guys on the clews with correctly located turning blocks. With two aboard it's doable, but singlehanded it's a handfull.

Based on his shots of jib and main trim a kite is a no go. Puleeze, somebody send him a blown out kite so we can witness the clusterf**k that will ensue. BTW, an "old spinnaker" implies a rip from leech to leech, no way to lower the upper ripped kite part, which wraps around the forestay so you can't raise a jib and you're f*cked royally and under main until harbor. Don't ask me how I know this.

I think somehow Rimas has talked to some Samoan sailboat transients and learned of the spinnaker, the importance of a liferaft, EPIRB, a lot of basic stuff and the vicissitudes of Cape Horn. Rimas is asking and begging for help, after a slow boring drift seems to realize what he is signed up for next. He's getting smarter folks and might depart AS in May with a fully founded SJ24 with his act together. We shall see.

Quoted for posterity. I want what you're on.

Today's FB post....

I can't wait to see how Rimas rigs a spinnaker.

That'll be creative.

If he gets a kite I'd happily throw in for a GoPro with a live stream connection for the boat. And some popcorn and beer for me.

///sigh////

I wish Admiral Remus would again set sail so that the wild speculation, innuendo, character assassinations,

and the occasional brilliant joke were about something I'm actually interested in.....

The word "innuendo" is an innuendo.

Today's FB post....

He's getting smarter folks and might depart AS in May with a fully founded SJ24 with his act together.

About a pint of good whiskey each night (to get sleepy), some low grade ganja whiffed during TV (to get interested), and Lovastatin for the cholesterol problem.

My point is after 2500 miles of drifting Rimas could wake up and get it together for the next leg. Originally I thought he was an idiot but now I suspect he's smart and might grift folks for enough to make a serious punch at Cape Horn.

ricky-gervais-hysterical-laughter.gif

... ...

My point is after 2500 miles of drifting Rimas could wake up and get it together for the next leg. Originally I thought he was an idiot but now I suspect he's smart and might grift folks for enough to make a serious punch at Cape Horn.

You don't work a DA, I hope.

That is a completely groundless and totally unrealistic suspicion

FB- Doug

Today's FB post....

Needs a spinnaker [sp]?

He made no mention of what the spinnaker is to be used for. Maybe his intent is to cut it up and use it for other purposes. Never underestimate a Rimas, after all he is the only one known to buy a sj24 then with zero assets attempt to circumnavigate that big blue ball. Please give Captain Rimas proper respect when due :)

Today's FB post....

That'll be creative.

Good one, made me laugh. Wonder if it will be Mahi Mahi rigged? No doubt it will require more caulking

Now thats funny right there. Mahi Mahi rigged.

Today's FB post....

Needs a spinnaker [sp]?

He made no mention of what the spinnaker is to be used for. Maybe his intent is to cut it up and use it for other purposes. Never underestimate a Rimas, after all he is the only one known to buy a sj24 then with zero assets attempt to circumnavigate that big blue ball. Please give Captain Rimas proper respect when due :)

he will make bungee cords from it.

Today's FB post....

That'll be creative.

Good one, made me laugh. Wonder if it will be Mahi Mahi rigged? No doubt it will require more caulking

Now thats funny right there. Mahi Mahi rigged.

Rimas has a unique talent for rigging like none have seen before....wasn't there one with duct tape?......

His last FB posting reminded me of street beggers sign.

Today's FB post....

Needs a spinnaker [sp]?

Fuck, it is still a SAN JUAN 24, fully found for a Cape rounding is an oxymoron, a SJ 24 is by definition not fully found for the Horn.

Today's FB post....

Needs a spinnaker [sp]?

Fuck, it is still a SAN JUAN 24, fully found for a Cape rounding is an oxymoron, a SJ 24 is by definition not fully found for the Horn.

Exactement.

He MUST have got enough private messages saying that the idea of an SJ24 tackling the Hornand South Georgia is not sensible.

It's really just fund raising bravado I reckon.

Our "Hero" has some more holiday snaps for our perusal. Man minding own business on the way home with stick and a coconut.

February, 8 2015 This is amazing picture-American Samoa

1658620_403814653110773_4152375179860270

Rimas' message mentioned "ned donation."

Maybe that's Ned?

Today's FB post....

Needs a spinnaker [sp]?

I was thinking the same thing. Rimas is unchanging - like a stone.

And if you were to witness a stone warp and change - you would be high.

Our "Hero" has some more holiday snaps for our perusal. Man minding own business on the way home with stick and a coconut.

Maybe that's Ned?

I'm thinking Ned is quietly eyeing the distance between himself and Rimas - and thinking about the satisfying thunk the stick will make with Rimas' cocoanut.

As a public service, I note that Ishmael's latest photo is of Hopalong Cassidy, I believe. I mention this for the youngsters on SA, who might never hear of this TV legend from yesteryear otherwise.

Go the Rimas!

If Rimas really were even remotely intelligent, he'd hook up with a big ol fat Samoan and live out his dotage in comfort at gov't expense. Leaving a tropical paradise for the Horn in the winter is the definition of foolhardy. I wonder, again, at what the enablers get out of supporting him.

Rimas doesn't need to use the spinnaker pole. In fact, I would discourage it.

A regular symmetric spinnaker will fly very well simply tacked to the stem fitting with a 24" pendant.

A single sheet will work fine until it's time to jibe.

On a 24-foot boat, even a Rimas could do it. Seriously.

A very comfortable tradewinds rig is any spinnaker flown with the tack in a fixed position and no other sail. It's a minimum-effort drifter's dream come true and you manage to get decent speed out of it.

He says he lived in the Virgin Islands for a few years.

So that's escaping from Russia, working with tourists in Guam, hobo-ing his way across Mongolia on trains, walking around Canada with a sack of rice on his back, living in the Virgin Islands, and drifting across the Pacific.

Anything else?

post-115893-0-81983200-1423603055_thumb.jpg

So that's escaping from Russia, working with tourists in Guam, hobo-ing his way across Mongolia on trains, walking around Canada with a sack of rice on his back, living in the Virgin Islands, and drifting across the Pacific.

Anything else?

attachicon.gifrimas-islands.JPG

Before his recent career as a record setting sailor of SJ24's, he and his girlfriend lost their jobs(don't know what he was doing) in San Francisco. She went back to Japan and he was sailing there in his first SJ24 when he put it on the beach in the Aleutians.

Anything else?

attachicon.gifrimas-islands.JPG

Before his recent career as a record setting sailor of SJ24's, he and his girlfriend lost their jobs(don't know what he was doing) in San Francisco. She went back to Japan and he was sailing there in his first SJ24 when he put it on the beach in the Aleutians.

Yea Rimas's story is cool and all but can he top this...

hermaphrodite escaped from the KKK and Southern Baptists after allegedly having children by her cousins plus her pregnant wife who moved off of a Batman-themed trimaran to join Hot Rod's merry group for a jaunt across the Pacific, is a touch only the San Francisco area could provide

Maybe that's Ned?

now thats funny! When i read your comment a vision of Rimas anxiously awaiting Ned's donation of that pole in the proper orfice.

Maybe this is the Islanders way of geting Rimas up and moving

A regular symmetric spinnaker will fly very well simply tacked to the stem fitting with a 24" pendant.

A very comfortable tradewinds rig is any spinnaker flown with the tack in a fixed position and no other sail. It's a minimum-effort drifter's dream come true and you manage to get decent speed out of it.

I have an old Viper kite I should send him, after putting OHey on for sure.

Edit: For an extra nice touch I could caulk OHey onto the sail with maybe a fish.

Edit: For an extra nice touch I could caulk OHey onto the sail with maybe a fish.

As long as it's a real fish.

i love it! Caulk, the Rimas touch

Make sure it is a big enough the Porters can see it when Rimas is drifting into Fiji. ^_^

Make sure it is a big enough the Porters can see it when Rimas is drifting into Fiji. ^_^

Hello no. I am not going anywhere near Pago Pago either until I know this guy has drifted out of the Pacific.

One of the wonderful things about Florida cockroaches is that if you notice one, it might respond by flying right at you.

Not sure if Russian ones share this trait, but I admit I'm sitting here chuckling at the idea of Rimas inexorably drifting toward BJ, wherever he may go...

Hah! Just noticed this request to join Woodenboat on Facebook. For some reason, any and all members are allowed to approve others. Or something. Anyway, needless to say, I hit the approve button.

rimas-wooden-boat.jpg

I would think a Dow Caulking Forum would interest him more.

He knows the boat very well because he tested it very well

https://soundcloud.com/cory-kaimana-barros/rimas-meleshyus-radio

An interesting listen. Unfortunately rather stale, recorded before acquisition of boat #2. One nugget is Plan B at the Horn if it all goes pear shaped. Have a way to call the "Coast Guard", and a life raft that's good for six months at sea.

An interesting listen. Unfortunately rather stale, recorded before acquisition of boat #2. One nugget is Plan B at the Horn if it all goes pear shaped. Have a way to call the "Coast Guard", and a life raft that's good for six months at sea.

Six months in the southern ocean in an inflatable liferaft would be a record, at least.

His voice and accent were not at all what I expected.

Six months in the southern ocean in an inflatable liferaft would be a record, at least.

He sounds exactly how I expected...

Agreed!

From another thread- but let's get serious. SJ24? Rimas?

I know, preaching to the choir.....

Wow loved that video but cat's scare me. Don't you think the storm technique Rimas uses based on the well documented, proven system used by abandoned vessels has merit? His system dispenses with frills like lines, halyards, masts, motors, drogues, anchors, ebribs, charts, etc. greatly simplifying storm sailing. Our master mariners system leaves nothing for the crew to do except kick back and relax with their favorite beverage and snack< smashed taters and butter>. Of course when things get real sticky he will hoist up the Mahi Mahi

He sounded very fluent and astute in the interview but since then he seems like he can hardly speak English. Wonder if that Mahi Mahi hanging didn't bonk him?

Rimas bonked by a fish?

(`bonk' can have a different meaning down under)

He sounded very fluent and astute in the interview but since then he seems like he can hardly speak English. Wonder if that Mahi Mahi hanging didn't bonk him?

Rimas bonked by a fish?

Yes, he may have bonked the mahi mahi. Probably had to, right off the bat. :)

Guy believes you are not understanding well. The record lies with the fact that Guy and Mr. Rimus will be the first to go solo around world in a San Juan 24 Foot. Never has it been done before. It is a World record for Americans.

Guy arrives shortly in most beautiful Samoa Américaines to assist Mr. Rimus. Also tracking Mr. BJ's position so as to rendezvous for exchange of rations, women and monetary support.

Guy believes you are not understanding well. The record lies with the fact that Guy and Mr. Rimus will be the first to go solo around world in a San Juan 24 Foot. Never has it been done before. It is a World record for Americans.

Guy arrives shortly in most beautiful Samoa Américaines to assist Mr. Rimus. Also tracking Mr. BJ's position so as to rendezvous for exchange of rations, women and monetary support.

Guy, In my opinion Rimas aint no American. I ask all citizens of American countries if any Rimas an American? He does fly the U.S.A. flag but that dosen't make him a citizen of an American country....North or South America.,

Rimas bonked by a fish?

:) Sorry for the language issue. I understand that uall down there on the underbelly of the big blue ball have yur own colorful variation of English just like we do. However, it was pointed out to me in a pub in Grantham England, that the Kings English is the only English and none of the colonial variations were considered English.

I meant that the Mahi Mahi could have struck Rimas on the knoggin during a storm causing his loss of lingustic competence.

The chicken must be jealous of the Mahi Mahi bonking, watch out for revenge of the slighted chickens.

oh yeah i forgot about the poor chicken......chuckle...Do you think the chicken may also have done duty as a jib like the Mahi?

Rimas bonked by a fish?

:) Sorry for the language issue. I understand that uall down there on the underbelly of the big blue ball have yur own colorful variation of English just like we do. However, it was pointed out to me in a pub in Grantham England, that the Kings English is the only English and none of the colonial variations were considered English.

I meant that the Mahi Mahi could have struck Rimas on the knoggin during a storm causing his loss of lingustic competence.

Wait...Rimas had linguistic competence?

Whoohoooo, nothing but bare poles and a drogue in the water....I'd be scared shitless in a cat out there.

Whoohoooo, nothing but bare poles and a drogue in the water....I'd be scared shitless in a cat out there.

Guess you've never sailed on a cat.

Some linguists speak Mahimahi ;)

Cunning linguists.

Tuna, maybe... Mahi Mahi? That's just gross, sorry

FB- Doug

Wasabi would make it exotic.

Seaweed wraps would make it kinky.

There we are, then

I apologize for the violent shift away from CSN / Little Feat

FB- Doug

Manta 42 is as big as I've sailed, but never in tall waves. I hear the cats float just as well upside down as they do right side up. :)

Guess you've never sailed on a cat.

Manta 42 is as big as I've sailed, but never in tall waves. I hear the cats float just as well upside down as they do right side up. :)

Has anyone lived through a typhoon or hurricane upside down in a cat? You would never get me on one of those they scare me. They have tons of space and many good points and make an excellent craft for protected waters in my opinion