• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

Aquacircumperambubobulation.

That's an impressive effort, but we need something that requires less than a minute of study before an attempt at pronunciation can be made.

Maybe some inspiration can be taken from Aussies, who go walkabout.

Rimas goes driftaround.

Along with some musings from our "Hero" re: Southern Ocean safety preparations:

Its nice to have a life raft in the Southern ocean !

A life raft would be quite useful. If he runs low on mashed potatoes, he can reach land sooner by drifting in the raft than he can by sailing the boat. Maybe he won't throw it overboard in a panic and attempt to tow it this time.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the tropics, our "Hero" is being defiant:

SAN JUAN 24 WANTS TO SET THE WORLD RECORD ! Regardless of what people say and think

1978593_408826875942884_7395560156729094

Well, I'll just chalk that up to 50% gundraising braggadocio and 50% wishful thinking... kind of like the "raise money for children's cancer research" statement. Rimas will blather on about Cape Horn to solicit donations, then he'll drift downwind (which is away from Cape Horn) when he's worn out his welcome in Am Samoa.... provided someone fixes his boat for him and provisions it, those chores are beneath the record breaking sailor.

errr... that guy with the azoristan flag, who's he ? or has Rimas been on a transmogrification expedition lately ? quite swanky combined with his transoceaniccombobulatorydriftification

Some guy with a big flag. Rimas likes big flags. Maybe big flags get big donations.

SAN JUAN 24 WANTS TO SET THE WORLD RECORD ! Regardless of what people say and think

Who could deny a boaty desire?

I note Shannon still seems amused by Rimas and has posted on FB a few times today. That's good. He'll probably continue to subsidize the Delorme. Rimas is nothing if not determined and will somehow mooch provisions and a tow out of the harbor and aquacircumperambubobulate on...

errr... that guy with the azoristan flag, who's he ? or has Rimas been on a transmogrification expedition lately ? quite swanky combined with his transoceaniccombobulatorydriftification

Some guy with a big flag. Rimas likes big flags. Maybe big flags get big donations.

Rimas was always intending to plant a flag once he reached South Georgia past the horn,

Perhaps he sold out the naming rights for that and will now claim South Georgia for the Azores....

A life raft would be quite useful. If he runs low on mashed potatoes, he can reach land sooner by drifting in the raft than he can by sailing the boat. Maybe he won't throw it overboard in a panic and attempt to tow it this time.

..yeh,,it gets embarrassing to the record challenge when your liferaft keeps passing you :mellow:

Rimas was always intending to plant a flag once he reached South Georgia past the horn,

Perhaps he sold out the naming rights for that and will now claim South Georgia for the Azores....

...that sounds quite possible,,though I'm not convinced the guy isn't on some record-setting sheister journey himself--they haven't yet realized that they both are conning each other!

....I'd say it's more likely they found each other in a bar, than one of the -many- churches :mellow:

thats funny but true. My west marine life raft with a 2.5hp engine would fly over the water if i layed down and steered with my feet. The thing would have trouble turning cause there was nothing in the water to grip, but it was loads of fun on flat water.

naw, he's fickle and will fly whatever flag gets him the most bucks. My guess is he is trying to butter up someone from the Azores

Ohey - I am needing only 3 more flags needed and I can be continuing World Record in SJ24. Please to be donating flags. Sails is for Western pussies. Sails keep you awake at night with flapping and banging and change angle of drift. I Rimass have proved sails is bad. It is not possible enter harbour with sails. All big ships are having flags and enter harbour Ohey without tow. Coastguard ship has big flag and I Rimarse see my friend the Coastguard enter harbour very quickly with no sail, just flag.

I imagine a dockage tab is accruing. Wouldn't expect our hero to find a less costly but more inconvenient mooring to tie out on.

Is that a kayak clumsily lyiing on the stern? Will he tow it along on his next adventure?

I imagine a dockage tab is accruing. Wouldn't expect our hero to find a less costly but more inconvenient mooring to tie out on.

"[dockage fee] per foot of vessel length per day: $0.10." So that's about $72 a month for a SJ24.

Although: "Free dockage will be accorded as follows: (1) at the discretion of the Port Director, provided actual loading and unloading operations are not being performed:"

And Rimas could save some coin: "20 feet but less than 30 anchorage fee: 8.50 Mooring buoy fee: 12.50 per month or fraction thereof"

"[dockage fee] per foot of vessel length per day: $0.10." So that's about $72 a month for a SJ24.

Although: "Free dockage will be accorded as follows: (1) at the discretion of the Port Director, provided actual loading and unloading operations are not being performed:"

And Rimas could save some coin: "20 feet but less than 30 anchorage fee: 8.50 Mooring buoy fee: 12.50 per month or fraction thereof"

Yes, but that would require the ability to navigate a vessel on and off a dock, a capability that Rimas clearly does not possess.... YCMTSU!

Meanwhile, somewhere in the tropics, our "Hero" is being defiant:

1978593_408826875942884_7395560156729094

so he got coors light to sponsor this next leg ? that's pretty cool !

Ohey - I am needing only 3 more flags needed and I can be continuing World Record in SJ24. Please to be donating flags. Sails is for Western pussies. Sails keep you awake at night with flapping and banging and change angle of drift. I Rimass have proved sails is bad. It is not possible enter harbour with sails. All big ships are having flags and enter harbour Ohey without tow. Coastguard ship has big flag and I Rimarse see my friend the Coastguard enter harbour very quickly with no sail, just flag.

Woolly, that is a good one and may be closer to the truth than you know :)

Maybe he'll have a look around below and see if he can find the rest of the port winch.

That's a 2 month job scheduled for June/July.

Rimas???/....not likely he will put effort into something like that however if buttery mashed tatters were involved might be a different story. We ought to send him a few cases of instant taters to give him energy

Good to see he stowed his jib and put a boom cover on.

Maybe next month he'll fix the broken stanchion glue the stanchion to the deck with caulk.

first someone will have to buy him more caulk as I'm sure he has used up the last case by now

so he got coors light to sponsor this next leg ? that's pretty cool !

Hey! That's not a proper way to display the American flag........Should be the top flag not underneath a coors flag if thats what the top flag is.......Must mean coors provides more taters than Uncle Sam does

I believe so but I'm no expert on flag etiquette.

I'll have to look that up. Here is a link

http://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#updated-code

according to this link it is disrespectful to fly one nations flag higher than the other ad both should be on their separate poles of equal height...

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/flying-another-countrys-flag-in-usa-920.html

This is confusing

"No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in position of superior prominence or honor to, or IN PLACE OF, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or an territory or possession thereof."

American Samoa is an unincorprated territory of the United States.

"No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in position of superior prominence or honor to, or IN PLACE OF, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or an territory or possession thereof."

That's why I went to western Samoa, it just felt more ....Samoan..

I believe so but I'm no expert on flag etiquette.

I'll have to look that up. Here is a link

http://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#updated-code

according to this link it is disrespectful to fly one nations flag higher than the other ad both should be on their separate poles of equal height...

This is confusing

That usa-flag site is citing land rules. On a boat, the ensign always goes at the stern, which is the position of most honor/prominence. The courtesy flag (the flag of the country that you are visiting) is flown from the starboard spreader, as Ishmael said.

In port, the U.S. flag is flown from the stern. It shifts to starboard spreader when lines are cast. This, at least, was what we do in the navy. W

There is even an announcement. "Shift colors, underway"

Not on sailing vessels. Underway, the position of honor is the gaff of the aft most sail. With no gaff, 2/3 of the leech, where a gaff would be, is proper. This tends to look awkward, so most sailboats underway continue to fly the flag at the stern, which is acceptable.

In port, the U.S. flag is flown from the stern. It shifts to starboard spreader when lines are cast. This, at least, was what we do in the navy. W

Not quite. On Navy ships, it shifts to the masthead halyards, not the spreaders. Port/starboard spreaders are reserved for signal flags.

Technically it isn't even required then. NTP-13 says "Shall be displayed during daylight hours from the gaff, triatic stay, or after masthead when:

- getting underway or mooring

- falling in with other ships

- cruising near land

- engaged in battle."

But we are lazy/steeped in custom/can't be bothered to change, so it usually flies all the time underway. And that announcement is why the gentleman captain doesn't schedule underway for 0800. Opportunities for goat-ropage abound. At 0800 you either hold morning colors and hoist on the flag staff astern, or you are taking in lines - but you aren't underway until the last line is off the bollards, so do you break at the masthead or aft...generally you get both or neither, which look equally stupid.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the South Pacific, we missed one of our "Hero"'s important posts:

February , 17 2015 Thank you for donanion, which is greatly appreciated !

10974559_408806752611563_349433786982999

Apparently our "Hero" was needing a 5W "Submersible" Handheld VHF to contact local Harbour Masters for tows and the important position identifying "Captain's Hat"...

Is that a woman's scarf hanging from the bulkhead?

Exactly! Thats what i understood from reading the links i provided above.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the South Pacific, we missed one of our "Hero"'s important posts:

February , 17 2015 Thank you for donanion, which is greatly appreciated !

10974559_408806752611563_349433786982999

Apparently our "Hero" was needing a 5W "Submersible" Handheld VHF to contact local Harbour Masters for tows and the important position identifying "Captain's Hat"...

Is that a woman's scarf hanging from the bulkhead?

coukd be he did have a russian female sailor grab on to him in Hawaii but then all of a sudden she flew the coop sailing off into the wide Pacific ocean on her cutter. I think her boat appeared to be a cutter? Wonder what burned her fingers for her to disapear so quickly?

Not quite. On Navy ships, it shifts to the masthead halyards, not the spreaders. Port/starboard spreaders are reserved for signal flags.

Technically it isn't even required then. NTP-13 says "Shall be displayed during daylight hours from the gaff, triatic stay, or after masthead when:

- cruising near land

- engaged in battle."

But we are lazy/steeped in custom/can't be bothered to change, so it usually flies all the time underway. And that announcement is why the gentleman captain doesn't schedule underway for 0800. Opportunities for goat-ropage abound. At 0800 you either hold morning colors and hoist on the flag staff astern, or you are taking in lines - but you aren't underway until the last line is off the bollards, so do you break at the masthead or aft...generally you get both or neither, which look equally stupid.

Whilst in Southern Florida this past week we attended happy hour at the local Yacht Club as I am known to do while traveling. It was my first experience with flag officers in dress whites. Is it imperative to wear one's uniform at all times on Rimas' vessel? Inquiring minds want to know....

- cruising near land

- engaged in battle."

hummm....are j24's considered Navy vessels? :) ......????? couldn't it be said that Captain Rimas is in a desperate battle for funding and buttery smashed tatters. War is hell

This is potentially confusing because it's landlubber rules. It uses both "above" and "superior prominence," which may conflict. On a sailboat, altitude is not the primary indication of prominence. Even on land, it's not necessarily the case that the physically highest position is most honored. Here's the US Power Squadron's instructions on yacht club flag poles:

Gaff1RevCoSm.jpg

http://www.usps.org/national/fecom/faq/flag/gaffpole.html

Because this borrows from the nautical tradition and not the land-based tradition, the gaff is most honored (but not highest) position, and that's where the US flag goes. On sloops with no gaff, it just goes somewhere on the stern...either 2/3 of the way up the backstay or on a flag pole at the stern.

This is potentially confusing because it's landlubber rules. It uses both "above" and "superior prominence," which may conflict. On a sailboat, altitude is not the primary indication of prominence. Even on land, it's not necessarily the case that the physically highest position is most honored. Here's the US Power Squadron's instructions on yacht club flag poles:

Gaff1RevCoSm.jpg

http://www.usps.org/national/fecom/faq/flag/gaffpole.html

Because this borrows from the nautical tradition and not the land-based tradition, the gaff is most honored (but not highest) position, and that's where the US flag goes. On sloops with no gaff, it just goes somewhere on the stern...either 2/3 of the way up the backstay or on a flag pole at the stern.

that makes more sense. Thank you. I'm still not clear on keeping the flag higher than or equal to a territorial or other country flag. Seems unneccessarily complex to me

The flag of the "foreign country your visiting" is always flown highest on the starboard side, out of courtesy. That's all folks.

They're talking about on land, with dedicated flag poles.

It's irrelevant to the etiquette on sailboats.

the Power Squadrun listed specs are for land?????

Don't make me start a "bfloyd Adrift" website.

If you do, don't tell us where it is.

Mahi Mahis can be flown from anywhere as long as they are at shoulder height to enhance any photo of you whilst you stare off into the distance.

I thought they had to flown just below the waste if you know what I mean!

Nah. Chickens are flogged.....er...flown below the waist as per Rimas Protocals.

The flag of the "foreign country your visiting" is always flown highest on the starboard side, out of courtesy. That's all folks.

It's called a "courtesy flag" but it shows you have cleared customs and immigration. Until then you fly the Q signal and stay on your boat.

It's called a "courtesy flag" but it shows you have cleared customs and immigration. Until then you fly the Q signal and stay on your boat.

Usually. Some countries like you to fly both the courtesy and Q flags as soon as you enter territorial waters, but I've not encountered any big brouhaha by flying one then the other which is imo the more proper etiquette. And though some countries are lax about staying on the boat, I make it a point to do do unless told otherwise. If customs/Imm doesn't show up in a reasonable time, captain can usually go ashore to seek them, but crew must stay aboard.

You put me adrift and i assure you i will learn how to sail in a hurry and you won't find me at the dock looking for others to provision and repair my vessel while i watch...geezzz....:) ..........adrift??....fine, being mostly limey I have the seas in my blood......well, and a bit of grog.....maybe lotsa grog :rolleyes:

You put me adrift and i assure you i will learn how to sail in a hurry and you won't find me at the dock looking for others to provision and repair my vessel while i watch...geezzz....:) ..........adrift??....fine, being mostly limey I have the seas in my blood......well, and a bit of grog.....maybe lotsa grog :rolleyes:

Quite a few of the now legendary RTW sailors started out as complete noobs. Somehow they managed to learn to sail, navigate, repair, and provision their own boats. Did it on their own dime, too; and wrote the book afterwards. I guess times have changed when incompetents like Rimas achieve cult-hero status doing little but bluster on social media. All he has accomplished is surviving his incompetence...so far. I'd rather he set a better example, and not die, but sooner or later he'll end up in the bed he made.

Yes, of course you take your quarantine flag down after you've cleared in..

But i wasn't talking about a quarantine flag..