• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

The Smeetons had zero experience when they bought Tzu Hang in England in the early 50s. Same with Harry Pidgeon, Dwight Long, Gerbault, etc.

And yea, you're entirely correct about Blyth.

Common thread is they were determined to learn, and weren't content to rely on hand-holding by others. Complete opposite of Rimas.

t'was a simpler time, no floating debris or containers, supertankers on autopilot with the watch asleep or otherwise occupied and most knew how to navigate without a gps and electronic charts.

I'm sure most would agree that today's seas are far more hazardous than the seas of the fifties.

Probably safer now...at least the navigation is more accurate and easier. That might be the problem. The Rimas's and Rebel Hearts used to not get far without knowing how to use a sextant and keep an accurate DR. Now any moron can sail across the Pacific with a $100 GPS and no charts... That kind of takes the commitment to learning and practicing seamanship out of the equation.

I agree it does take some of the challenge out of navigating the seas if you use a gps. Brings to mind that disaster in Southern California a few years back when a 65foot yatch smacked into an island at speed in the night on auto pilot. The watch decided to join in the party that was going on and lives were lost. I guess with the blasting music no one heard the alarms. Now if that captain had been in Rimas's class no one would have been hurt they would have simply drifted untill out of grog then towed into port :) ....So you see there is some value in the Rimas method

Common thread is they were determined to learn, and weren't content to rely on hand-holding by others. Complete opposite of Rimas.

You've really got it in for this guy & won't be happy until disaster strikes. Probably the first one to post I told you so.

He is going to sail or drift one of those things around the world or die trying, good for him to have a dream. He probably visited a retirement home and came out thinking "fuck that I'm going out the same way I came in - kickin & screamin". Then bought the boat.

As for asking for help so what?Look at that boat FFS! it's not like the money is funding evil shit & seems like he needs some skills passed on too. English is his second language and with no media division Team Rimas press releases are a bit average and easy pickings for those who go down that path.

Someone said he was a hustler, PMSL if he is he's not a very good one managing at most to Hustle a couple of thousand over a couple of years.

Oh well the story is being played out in real time I can track it on the net just like the VOR just a lot slower and I have to guess where the leg ends.

Love him or Loathe him you can't say he is not determined.

Sorry Alias.

Most, if not all of us here won't be the least bit happy when disaster strikes.

The open ocean is no place for the ill-prepared or the foolish.

He simply refuses to learn to run the boat or help himself fund his drifting.

Unable/unwilling remains to be seen.

You've really got it in for this guy & won't be happy until disaster strikes. Probably the first one to post I told you so.

He is going to sail or drift one of those things around the world or die trying, good for him to have a dream. He probably visited a retirement home and came out thinking "fuck that I'm going out the same way I came in - kickin & screamin". Then bought the boat.

As for asking for help so what?Look at that boat FFS! it's not like the money is funding evil shit & seems like he needs some skills passed on too. English is his second language and with no media division Team Rimas press releases are a bit average and easy pickings for those who go down that path.

Someone said he was a hustler, PMSL if he is he's not a very good one managing at most to Hustle a couple of thousand over a couple of years.

Oh well the story is being played out in real time I can track it on the net just like the VOR just a lot slower and I have to guess where the leg ends.

he's not determined you dummy . post some tits newbie or get to steppin' .

you brought up some good points thank you.

2 grand in two years.....your right, not a good grifter. But if we look at his sailing skills learned in the same years we see he has learned little of grifting and even less of sailing. Could this be an indicator of his mental prowness? Allowing someone so gifted go off to almost certain death is at the least irresponsible. Would be like taking my neighbor's severely retarded 50 year old kid to the colorado river and giving him a raft and paddles to play with for our enjoyment.................. :ph34r:

And that's kind of the point. Almost everybody has to pass a basic skills sailing test to check a boat out for an afternoon sail on the typical lake.

But not Rimas. He could not pass a basic sailing test. And yet he got towed out of SF Bay - and drifted off to American Samoa.

Now he presumably wants a tow out of Pago Pago to continue his reckless drift.

And we are supposed to cheer him on?

And that's kind of the point. Almost everybody has to pass a basic skills sailing test to check a boat out for an afternoon sail on the typical lake.

But not Rimas. He could not pass a basic sailing test. And yet he got towed out of SF Bay - and drifted off to American Samoa.

No, we're supposed to send him money.

Good one.

A quote from the writer on his watch at night.

."As for a whale’s snort, even that was frightening, with its distance from the raft so utterly unknown. Yet, as with children half-longing to be terrified, I goose-pimpled at the sound before feeling privileged to have heard it.

I saw that raft thing in St Martin a couple of years ago. I took a couple of turns around in the dinghy and took photos. Pretty substantial looking and well thought out.

No, we're supposed to send him money.

Rimas: Do you expect me to learn to Sail ?

No Mr. Meleshyus, I expect you to drift.

Goldfinger.jpg

Had a whale snort about 75 yds astern during a recent delivery. Startled the fuck out of me.

Ewww! Too much information!

Who cleaned it up?

I almost spilled my rum!

thats a keel hauling offense you know on my raft!

Had a whale snort about 75 yds astern during a recent delivery. Startled the fuck out of me.

Ewww! Too much information!

Who cleaned it up?

I almost spilled my rum!

I resemble that remark.

I saw that raft thing in St Martin a couple of years ago. I took a couple of turns around in the dinghy and took photos. Pretty substantial looking and well thought out.

thats a taiwanese fishing boat with a sail

post-67665-0-97570000-1425223117_thumb.jpg

The flag of the "foreign country your visiting" is always flown highest on the starboard side, out of courtesy. That's all folks.

It's called a "courtesy flag" but it shows you have cleared customs and immigration. Until then you fly the Q signal and stay on your boat.

Well...Rim ass got all that confused..The Q flag was mis-interpetated as a dress "Code" and the "courtesy" reach around flag was given

Will someone please donate something really disruptive to Rimas? He needs all of the help he can get.

An oar?

not appropiate. The advanced Rimas system of sailing does not involve anything requiring physical labor.

No donations to Rimas despite all those birthday greetings he sent out and Facebook likes.

Local help will likely get him on his way again, otherwise he will be forced into selling organs, sperm and blood. Any sailors out there need a new kidney ? Invitrio fertilization ?

post-105471-0-54625300-1425479719_thumb.jpg

No donations to Rimas despite all those birthday greetings he sent out and Facebook likes.

Local help will likely get him on his way again, otherwise he will be forced into selling organs, sperm and blood. Any sailors out there need a new kidney ? Invitrio fertilization ?

not sure his organs would be of any value raised on buttery tatters and wodka...opps forgot, and salt spray cured Mahi Mahi... :rolleyes:

Wow this thread has jumped the shark. Can we get an update on Ned the Samoan guy or something?

No Shit Sherlock, we need boots on the ground in AS to let us know WTF (oops, no swearing) is happening.

swearing???..aint u just speaking Californian?

When all you thought you could hear were crickets, our "Hero" has been busy drumming up support in Pago Pago by sacrificing one of his few sails for a billboard.

My friend from Russia, Rimas Meleshyus who is attempting to sail around the world in a San Juan 24 foot sail boat. I took this picture of him at Pago Pago Harbor right here in Am. Samoa on Monday March 9. Become Friends with him and keep track of his historic voyage. Fa'afetai. Jeff

10608637_775339095876749_105446646674429

Our "Hero" should leave his new "Captain" Hat upside down on the dock in front of his boat to collect change from passers by...

When all you thought you could hear were crickets, our "Hero" has been busy drumming up support in Pago Pago by sacrificing one of his few sails for a billboard.

My friend from Russia, Rimas Meleshyus who is attempting to sail around the world in a San Juan 24 foot sail boat. I took this picture of him at Pago Pago Harbor right here in Am. Samoa on Monday March 9. Become Friends with him and keep track of his historic voyage. Fa'afetai. Jeff

Our "Hero" should leave his new "Captain" Hat upside down on the dock in front of his boat to collect change from passers by...

He has spent more time producing that banner than in any maintenance he has ever attempted.

Maybe that's it!! World record trip… most miles sailed without maintaining a thing.

Maybe he plays guitar in front of the boat when the cruise ship tourists are in town.

He is looking porkier after eating all those Idahoan buttery mashed potatoes.

Maybe it's the Big Macs and free wifi. :)

It looks like someone has cleaned his boat for him, and strung up that sail. There's no way Rimas can tie knots that neatly.

He'll probably be really surprised when he hoists it and finds the words upside down.

No, The Rimas revolutionary sailing system dosen't depend upon conventional sails anymore than a power boat does. Remember the lesson he gave us in alternative uses for Mahi Mahi? What method could be better than that contrived by that sailing genus in using the sea itself to power his yacht?

The stanchions still aren't fixed. By now, the spin pole end-fitting is corroded solid, permanently fixing the pole to the mast eye. I suspect a couple more months of free-loading and non-maintainence, and the locals will begin to realize he's a joke. There's not a chance in hell of him ever getting near Cape Horn or S Georgia Island...he couldn't ssil upwind for 10 miles to get to Samoa fer Christ's sake. And if he was truely motivated to raise money, he would have learned to sail, and sailed around Samoa , thus getting nearly $2000 in pledges. He refused.

Is it just the pic or is the mast bowed?

He doesn't need that thing anyway.

Your right. I was just looking at a map of the southern pacific currents and Captain Rimas is no dummy, looks to me like he can make the trip via current so mast can be converted to a fishing pole and sails may now be used to make flags and a new larger sizeed pair of pants. Just noticed that those smashed buttery tatters seemed to be doing a good job of sticking.

Question for all you world traveling sailors out there.

Is it possible for Rimas to actually sail from his current location around the horn and if so by what route?

I can see a possibility of his making the passage through the straits of Magellan but no way round the cape

Your right. I was just looking at a map of the southern pacific currents and Captain Rimas is no dummy, looks to me like he can make the trip via current so mast can be converted to a fishing pole and sails may now be used to make flags and a new larger sizeed pair of pants. Just noticed that those smashed buttery tatters seemed to be doing a good job of sticking.

I think you just figured it out. He is using the smashed buttery tatters as calk to hold the boat together...

The stanchions still aren't fixed. By now, the spin pole end-fitting is corroded solid, permanently fixing the pole to the mast eye. I suspect a couple more months of free-loading and non-maintainence, and the locals will begin to realize he's a joke. There's not a chance in hell of him ever getting near Cape Horn or S Georgia Island...he couldn't ssil upwind for 10 miles to get to Samoa fer Christ's sake. And if he was truely motivated to raise money, he would have learned to sail, and sailed around Samoa , thus getting nearly $2000 in pledges. He refused.

So you think maybe Rimas isnt the genus some think he is but maybe just a dingle brain?

As for the money, Rimas has shown an inclination towards begging money but also has amply demonstrated an absolute refusal to work for it. The pledges required a service be performed to recieve them which would be like working then getting paid for your work. Not Rimas's, cup of tea

Is the baby stay standard on all SJ24's?? I think that is the only thing holding the mast up.. Sheesh...

Is the baby stay standard on all SJ24's?? I think that is the only thing holding the mast up.. Sheesh...

just found this animated map of ocean winds and currents and it dosnt look good for Captain Rimas

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-127.39,-52.17,300

Is it possible for Rimas to actually sail from his current location around the horn and if so by what route?

I can see a possibility of his making the passage through the straits of Magellan but no way round the cape

if he could make it to the Roaring Forties, he could drift to Cape Horn. Problem is, he's got nearly 1000 miles of sailing mostly upwind, just to get to the Roaring Forties. He hasn't demonstrated he can sail upwind for 10 miles. Also, his announced May departure puts him in the Southern Ocean (assuming he can get there) in the dead of winter. No one in their right mind would take any boat there at that time. When he casts off, he'll drift downwind and down current as before. He'll get towed into some port, as before, and claim he's set a world record, as before. He's incapable of anything else.

just found this animated map of ocean winds and currents and it dosnt look good for Captain Rimas

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-127.39,-52.17,300

yup...he'll hit New Zealand or OZ. I'm guessing he doesn't gain a single nm east once he is "released" by his tow out of harbour.

if he could make it to the Roaring Forties, he could drift to Cape Horn. Problem is, he's got nearly 1000 miles of sailing mostly upwind, just to get to the Roaring Forties. He hasn't demonstrated he can sail upwind for 10 miles. Also, his announced May departure puts him in the Southern Ocean (assuming he can get there) in the dead of winter. No one in their right mind would take any boat there at that time. When he casts off, he'll drift downwind and down current as before. He'll get towed into some port, as before, and claim he's set a world record, as before. He's incapable of anything else.

I didn't even think of winter. thanks.

I'm mostly a power boater so the reason for my question. i looked at ocean currents and it looked to me like he may be able to get to the horn by drifting towards Australia then finding his way to Tazmania before launching and trying for the currents offshore there that head east to the horn. But can you imagine how long that would take? If he was to drift round the blue ball he would most definately be in the record books but he hasn't demonstrated any skill in anything to speak of. Drifting dosen't require much skill except an ability to navigate if you are heading for a specific location. He would never have made it anywhere if someone wasn't paying for his geotracker is my guess

yup...he'll hit New Zealand or OZ. I'm guessing he doesn't gain a single nm east once he is "released" by his tow out of harbour.

now now lets not jump to conclusions and underestimate Captain Rimas. What do you think he hangs Mahi Mahi for. Do you think the Mahi Mahi is computer controlled like that new sailing vessel using computer controlled airfoils as sails? You must admitt there is some similarities is shape? :)

Looks like there is a nice Typhoon currently in Rimas's part of the Pacific right now http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-190.79,-22.57,300

Can anyone read what his window sign says?

Some of it is readable after messing with it...

window.jpg

Thanks!!

Rimas said he would depart in May..... I'm getting excited!!!!! I think he has no chance, but statistically, he does. I don't have any math for this though.

window.jpg

Thanks!!

Rimas said he would depart in May..... I'm getting excited!!!!! I think he has no chance, but statistically, he does. I don't have any math for this though.

The math is easy, think of a needle in a haystack, or maybe a sail less j24 in the Pacific Ocean

He hasn't raise much money since his landfall in Pago Pago. How can he continue if the pan handling isn't working out?

He hasn't raise much money since his landfall in Pago Pago. How can he continue if the pan handling isn't working out?

He's becoming rotund so someone is funding his buttery instant tatter needs. From the looks of him he has no desire to move. As yet no one has taken the time to repair or maintain his boat for him so my guess he will stay put ...At least till the tatters dry up

....who said he'd release the tow!? I'm sure he's learnt -something- by now :mellow:

...meanwhile,,time. marches.....ON!

clock-animated-gif-3.gif

I think the best analogy to the question "where will Rimas drift to ?" is answered by the work of ....

Curtis Ebbesmeyer, an oceanographer who models ocean currents on the basis of flotsam movements including those of a consignment of Friendly Floatees, containing 29,000 plastic yellow ducks, red beavers, blue turtles and green frogs, washed into the Pacific Ocean in 1992. (end of Black arrow marks the start of their journey)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendly_Floatees

His map of where the floaty ducks, beavers, turtles and frogs is probably a good approximation for our favourite floaty of them all....the RIMAS "Chicken" FLOATY.

Friendly_Floatees.png

Thats funny. What purpose would a sail serve? To use a sail one must learn to sail. Rimas reccognizes his shortcommings so he hangs a fish instead. Last one got him all the way to Pago Pago. My guess is he was testing his storm sailing skills for the horn trip with the fish.

:mellow:

:blink:

Life-ring, Flag, hat, fund-me banner...he's got everything in the picture but the fish! :lol::lol:

....''I'm raising funds for a new mainsail'' :wacko:

I think the best analogy to the question "where will Rimas drift to ?" is answered by the work of ....

Curtis Ebbesmeyer, an oceanographer who models ocean currents on the basis of flotsam movements including those of a consignment of Friendly Floatees, containing 29,000 plastic yellow ducks, red beavers, blue turtles and green frogs, washed into the Pacific Ocean in 1992. (end of Black arrow marks the start of their journey)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendly_Floatees

His map of where the floaty ducks, beavers, turtles and frogs is probably a good approximation for our favourite floaty of them all....the RIMAS "Chicken" FLOATY.

So does this mean when Rimas disappears into the Pacific he will turn up 15 years from now in England?........None seem to have made it around the horn so what hope does Rimas have oif making it when he isn't even in the same league as the Floatees

So that brings up the question of which is the more intellegent? Time will tell

to "Do" the estrecho de magallanes first you need to enter it and that in one word is a right bitch!!, further south is the beagle which can be gotten to via an entrance known as the milky way......no need to ask why the name surely. From memory (1988 I was there) entrances south of this are into forbidden zones (as In big black Israeli built gunboats comin at ya) plenty of clear water to the north of Isla hornos and some really amazing (as in safe) anchorages in the southern wooleston group but first you need to get there and therein lies the problem

to "Do" the estrecho de magallanes first you need to enter it and that in one word is a right bitch!!, further south is the beagle which can be gotten to via an entrance known as the milky way......no need to ask why the name surely. From memory (1988 I was there) entrances south of this are into forbidden zones (as In big black Israeli built gunboats comin at ya) plenty of clear water to the north of Isla hornos and some really amazing (as in safe) anchorages in the southern wooleston group but first you need to get there and therein lies the problem

SIR! I need you to slowly back away from the keyboard...with your hands where I can see them....

"and therein lies the problem" ????? that's the first problem you see ??

Disclaimer :not factual

I bet he somehow persuaded a local to make that sign for him. I do see the bunjie cord supporting it so i do believe he may have hung it himself, or assisted with that aspect of it.

HA, there is no way that thing is up just for the pic. It looks like it is set up to be there 24/7 The lashings are just too complex for a 1 shot deal... No way he did it himself and he probably does sit there with his hat out.....

HA, there is no way that thing is up just for the pic. It looks like it is set up to be there 24/7 The lashings are just too complex for a 1 shot deal... No way he did it himself and he probably does sit there with his hat out.....

...likely he's too 'refined' for that. He chooses his mark carefully,,plays him a while, moves-in at right moment.

...........just like a $200 hooker..you don't find 'em on the street, they find you :mellow:

I spent some time near Tasmania in one of the smaller big grey boats (2,500 tons if I recall correctly).

To describe the conditions as 'rough' was an understatement. For six days no one was allowed on deck (significant MOB risk). All meals for the six days were limited to sandwiches and scrambled eggs (too rough for the cooks to make anything else). Everyday chores became really difficult due to the constant and extreme motion. I still have nightmares about that time.

I cannot imagine being there in Rimas' boat. I think he has no clue what the southern ocean is like. I was there for a very short time and I have no clue.

What type of fish will he fly in the southern ocean? No Mahi Mahi there.

maybe a baracuda? Dolphins are not shaped correctly to use as a sail......Guess we will have to wait and see...

.Can't seem to shake the image of Rimas in his j24 drifting in the south east of Tasmania in the south pacific or antartic circumpolar currents.

Currently looks like the wind, current are going the same direction with 10-25 foot waves. Should be a piece of cake for Captain Rimas. That image won't leave my mind!!!

window.jpg

OK, I was able to decipher the window sign on the left.

" Stop the rape, please help!

Signed, the fish."

window.jpg

OK, I was able to decipher the window sign on the left.

" Stop the rape, please help!

Signed, the fish."

I dunno, it looks like the score from Pachelbel's Canon to me.

seeing as cursing is frowned upon here at the family friendly anarchy , it is with great sorrow I say , I now fucking love this thread again.

censorship is never family friendly unless you wish to teach your kids to hide things from you.