Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

I'm thinking his rudder is welded tight with marine growth. :o

Rimas said he wouldn't do the Horn without corporate support. He would need a haulout, .. .. .. .. handout

Corrected.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Excoded Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

Haul-out makes it sound like he has a 100' superyacht and is part of the 1%... It aint that difficult, just borrow a J24 or similar trailer and pull the dang thing out. Surely someone down there has something. Can't call himself a grifter if he can't even get that done for cash or trade... :) Throughout this odyssey he has just been too lazy or unqualified do do a damn thing. I guess that is the point we are all trying to make...

I'm sure there's a crane that can pick the boat up long enough to scrape barnacles and paint. But even if the crane and paint were provided, Rimas would still have to do the work...he's simply too lazy.

Haul-out makes it sound like he has a 100' superyacht and is part of the 1%... It aint that difficult, just borrow a J24 or similar trailer and pull the dang thing out. Surely someone down there has something. Can't call himself a grifter if he can't even get that done for cash or trade... :) Throughout this odyssey he has just been too lazy or unqualified do do a damn thing. I guess that is the point we are all trying to make...

you are right. Can we expect his highness to stoop to such menial tasks?

I'm surprised he has made it as far as he has and if he were to make it around the horn maybe he can walk on water. Only time will tell.

I wish I knew someone living on the island I could get to prod him a bit and get the show on the road

Prod him with some coin. A few copies of Nat Geo to read. A last will and testament.

Or watch a Ford storm the beach with the British navy. Is that the Falklands ?

Prod him with some coin. A few copies of Nat Geo to read. A last will and testament.

Or watch a Ford storm the beach with the British navy. Is that the Falklands ?

Maybe after he rounds the horn he can see a landing in person

Ok, so its almost April 1. It appears that he has stowed his sails, but is there any evidence of him preparing for his next leg? (other than some "gimme money" signs) A "May" departure is looking extremely unlikely, but, ohey, I'm not a record setting around the world sailor.

Game on!

Rimas has named the departure date(s) in a comment on Facebook:

Rimas Meleshyus Thanks, I am leaving for cape horn in April 15 o r 25 for. The world. Record my phone is 684-252-4933

Unless he left yesterday this is just another canard. Damn it's slow around here with Ditty and the FH gone and Rimas in a holding pattern.

Oh ye of little faith!
A thin book easily read by mid-April. Hopefully he'll read about the *seasons* ( winter is from June to September) and that based on his previous boatspeed/direction performances, a Samoan April departure would end up with him trying to round in the dead of (Southern) winter. Godspeed Rimas!

I am studying this book called BERNARD MOITESSIER CAPE HORN THE LOGICAL ROUTE before leaving American Samoa!!

11066775_426225314203040_157246836056746

Rimas has been reading and the really big chart scanned from MOITESSIER's book which will be glued to the bulkhead on Pier Pressure for navigation to the Horn! Um, up-oh some wind feathers indicate thousands of miles of upwind work. Of course, Rimas's goal is a complete circumnavigation so he would continue on to to Cape of Good Hope before returning to Port Townsend. At least he's going the easy way around the World. May the force be with you Rimas!

BTW, read about Bernard (and Crohurst) for an eye opener concerning ROW races which makes this drift rather trivial.

post-452-0-53053500-1427410332_thumb.jpg

Oh ye of little faith!
A thin book easily read by mid-April. Hopefully he'll read about the *seasons* ( winter is from June to September) and that based on his previous boatspeed/direction performances, a Samoan April departure would end up with him trying to round in the dead of (Southern) winter. Godspeed Rimas!

I am studying this book called BERNARD MOITESSIER CAPE HORN THE LOGICAL ROUTE before leaving American Samoa!!

I don't believe he can read English. He's like a snake oil salesman

Oh ye of little faith!

Rimas Meleshyus

1 hr ·

I don't believe he can read English. He's like a snake oil salesman
What - he reads Nat Geo for the pictures?

Well here is 10minutes of my life I'll never get back (but tht's why it's fun)....

America Samoa at @ -14S travel to Cape Horn @ -60S. Total distance 5000 NM

Initial course 151T Arrival course (on GC route) 072T

South Pacific Ocean Pilot Charts #107 (for April)

From -14 to -20S currents are westerly and wind out of the SE (so Rimas is against current with wind on the nose for @ 500 NM)

From -20S to -40S currents become a favorable SE and wind rose shows a even 360deg. spread of anticipated wind dir.

From -40S to -60S both wind and current on his ass to stb quarter. (the right side with the mahi mahi strapped to the lifeline)

Possible reason found for The Rimas to bump up his departure date.

http://www.samoanews.com/content/en/new-immigration-division-named-overstayer-unit

Nope, that's only for foreign nationals, not US Citizens. Rimas can stay in AS forever if he wishes. Even a Visa is not required.

• Unlimited, must have a valid six month passport, a return ticket, or an onward ticket, for entry
  • U.S. citizens may live and work freely in American Samoa.

One could assume that Pier Pressure is his onward ticket.

He could go the super cheap option and careen the boat to a jetty. Tide predictions for A.S. showing range of about 2.5 feet currently, probably more during full or new moon.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions/viewDailyPredictions.jsp?bmon=03&bday=27&byear=2015&timelength=daily&timeZone=1&dataUnits=1&datum=MLLW&timeUnits=2&interval=highlow&Threshold=greaterthanequal&thresholdvalue=&format=Submit&Stationid=1770000

He could go the super cheap option and careen the boat to a jetty. Tide predictions for A.S. showing range of about 2.5 feet currently, probably more during full or new moon.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions/viewDailyPredictions.jsp?bmon=03&bday=27&byear=2015&timelength=daily&timeZone=1&dataUnits=1&datum=MLLW&timeUnits=2&interval=highlow&Threshold=greaterthanequal&thresholdvalue=&format=Submit&Stationid=1770000

but with his proven expertise with groundings he is likely not at all concerned expecting to clean er off on the next reef crossing. Besides, out of sight out of mind

thats a good one thanks! Big Mo is turning into a floating museum by the Dumbarton Bridge in East San Francisco Bay I heard. I can just picture Rimas seeking a tow in Big Mo.......

My mistake it was the Iowa and she left for San Pedro. Big Mo I guess has become part of the museum in Hawaii

Big Mo was grounded without Rimas's help

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_USS_Missouri_grounding_incident

Well here is 10minutes of my life I'll never get back (but tht's why it's fun)....

From -14 to -20S currents are westerly and wind out of the SE (so Rimas is against current with wind on the nose for @ 500 NM)

From -20S to -40S currents become a favorable SE and wind rose shows a even 360deg. spread of anticipated wind dir.

From -40S to -60S both wind and current on his ass to stb quarter. (the right side with the mahi mahi strapped to the lifeline)

Actually, review of Pilot Chart #107 for June,...the time he'll be actually (well theoretically) be nearing the Chilean coast shows that the currents from -40Sth to -60S are moving to a more north of east direction (ENE). With the majority of winds also pushing him that direction. No way he makes the Horn (am I stating the obvious here?). He ends up not south of -40S on the Chilean coast.

For what it is worth my guess on the Rimas sail (drift) path is: WSW to Fiji....a near miss though (10NM Broad Reach not possible) and then landfall on New Caledonia.

Actually, review of Pilot Chart #107 for June,...the time he'll be actually (well theoretically) be nearing the Chilean coast shows that the currents from -40Sth to -60S are moving to a more north of east direction (ENE). With the majority of winds also pushing him that direction. No way he makes the Horn (am I stating the obvious here?). He ends up not south of -40S on the Chilean coast.

For what it is worth my guess on the Rimas sail (drift) path is: WSW to Fiji....a near miss though (10NM Broad Reach not possible) and then landfall on New Caledonia.

I think your fore cast is accurate, thanks. But Rimas has yet to pay any attention to the reality of the situation he just goes when he feels like it and trusts to God or something to do his navigating.

Oh ye of little faith!

This pic is just right for Photochopping in a box of Buttery Homestyle Smashed Taters

Oh ye of little faith!

A thin book easily read by mid-April. Hopefully he'll read about the *seasons* ( [/size]winter is from June to September) [/size]and that based on his previous boatspeed/direction performances, a Samoan April departure would end up with him trying to round in the dead of (Southern) winter. Godspeed Rimas!

Rimas Meleshyus

1 hr ·

it appears he is going for castration by cross dressing .

http://www.samoanews.com/content/en/new-immigration-division-named-overstayer-unit

Nope, that's only for foreign nationals, not US Citizens. Rimas can stay in AS forever if he wishes. Even a Visa is not required.

• Unlimited, must have a valid six month passport, a return ticket, or an onward ticket, for entry

Unless his new fav Chinese comfort woman girlfriend was one of the ones deported and he has a sudden urge to visit China?

A year from now he could drift into Gunboats shiney new anchorage looking for a new carbon spar...

Unless his new fav Chinese comfort woman girlfriend was one of the ones deported and he has a sudden urge to visit China?

A year from now he could drift into Gunboats shiney new anchorage looking for a new carbon spar...

I think "Rimas" and "carbon spar" don't belong on the same page, unless you are talking giant pencils.

I think your fore cast is accurate, thanks. But Rimas has yet to pay any attention to the reality of the situation he just goes where the wind blows him and trusts to God or something to do his navigating.

Fixed

He could go the super cheap option and careen the boat to a jetty.

Jetty - we don't need no stinking jetties - just balance the boat on its keel.

rimas-meleshyus.jpg

rimas-meleshyus.jpg

Rimas must have let the chicken and fish escape necessitating beaching the boat upright so's he could get at the split tail rudder.

Oh ye of little faith!

This pic is just right for Photochopping in a box of Buttery Homestyle Smashed Taters

you never know whats in any box of highly processed packaged pseudo foods. For all we know maybe its already one of the ingredients and thats why he enjoys them so much :)

I think your fore cast is accurate, thanks. But Rimas has yet to pay any attention to the reality of the situation he just goes where the wind blows him and trusts to God or something to do his navigating.

Fixed

good job :)

rimas-meleshyus.jpg

I know it has been said many times...but isn't it just ridiculous that he keeps the ring and the MOB sling on his boats? They look great in photos. 99% of people wouldn't know what they are for.

I look forward to his departure. My morning routine has been boring lately without updates on his plight.

I'm thinking his rudder is welded tight with marine growth. :o

Rimas said he wouldn't do the Horn without corporate support. He would need a haulout, sail work, rig tune, stanchion, winch repair and maybe his bulkhead glued in place. Another layer of plexi over the ports and a glassed in companionway might be prudent, but hey, the keel will likely fall off when he pitchpoles.anyway.

He also has no liferaft [not counting the plastic kayak] and the Delorme will need alot of batteries, with no sun down there. If he misses the Magellan, then he crashes into cliffs for 1500 miles north and some distance south. If he makes it to the entrance to the passage the opposing tide and swell will attack him. He has no motor to get into shelter or set a hook in a rocky bottom, let alone the knowledge. He has a survival suit, inflateable pfd and the photogenic lifering. He will need a hundred disposal propane bottles to cook and stay warm. He has walked across Canada with a bag of rice and no shoes sometimes, so you know the train wreck will depart A. Samoa Question is, knowing that no one can stop his voyage, do you help him out or just follow the Delorme until it no longer updates ?

He has a survival suit?? Wonder who bought that for him...does he have a droug and tackle to go with it. If someone buys him a new motor he will likely just throw it away like he has done twice before.

What i don't understand is how he survived storms in the past without the tools most would not leave port without. Maybe he just went below and curled up with the chicken nd left his vessel in the hands of the Mahi mahi

He gets in the survival suit and he is the drogue (or in Rimas speak droog). Problem solved, more room for lube for chicken and buttery spuds w/ out all that pesky safety gear.

More pontificating from the master himself:

59 mins ·

Sailing solo around the world has been an adventure. This is my next route to Cape Horn, which has been a challenging one as well. This has set the record in American history by sailing in a 24ft sail boat that's not designed for blue water. The toughest challenge to conquer but with a mentally strong mindset anything is possible.

The pictures aren't much, a pen pointing to his original South American chart given to him in Washington, possibly this one:

http://www.nauticalchartsonline.com/chart/detail/62-Panama-to-Cape-Horn

More interesting is:

• He admits the trip to American Samoa had been some sort of "adventure."
  • He realizes his boat is not designed for what he's about to undertake.
  • He has figured out rounding Cape Horn will be (ignoring verb tense) more challenging.
  • He's going with a mentally strong mindset, (also a kayak, an immersion suit and a SPOT or EPIRB, nice hat, hopefully tons of Top Ramen or equivalent, etc.). "Mentally strong" in my life has resulted in some major life changing events, involving dirt bike crashes, alpine mountaineering, etc.; all rescued by nearby S&R and I'm still alive. Halfway to the horn, Meleysus's having friended on Facebook with the USCG ticket may not pay off.

Boat's looking cleaned up, sort of. Rimas is spouting that an April departure is in the cards. I think he's become much more aware of the trial ahead and I wish him well. He is not stupid, just misinformed or delusional. I'll follow the InterWeb as if he sails on, but suspect it will end badly. My advice to Rimas; you are already in AS with an American Passport; kick back with an Asian hooker as a 63 year old with your Social Security, and live out a comfortable life.

My advice to Rimas; you are already in AS with an American Passport; kick back with an Asian hooker as a 63 year old with your Social Security, and live out a comfortable life.

… a voice of reason.

Burn the witch!

More pontificating from the master himself:

Rimas Meleshyus added 7 new photos.

59 mins ·

Sailing solo around the world has been an adventure. This is my next route to Cape Horn, which has been a challenging one as well. This has set the record in American history by sailing in a 24ft sail boat that's not designed for blue water. The toughest challenge to conquer but with a mentally strong mindset anything is possible.

Rimas didnt write that... it's too comprehendable.

I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all the folks from Cruisers Forum who show up here because of the link posted yesterday. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/sailing-around-the-world-in-a-san-juan-24-a-143748.html

If even half of you post tits, it would make this thread exciting again.

They're smarter than us... Rimas's mental health was questioned about post #5, took us about 50 pages.

Part of me really respects this guy for saying fuck it I'm going. Then the other part is SMH!

I can't wait to see where he ends up, some of those drifting predictions look solid.

Good luck buddy!

I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all the folks from Cruisers Forum who show up here because of the link posted yesterday. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/sailing-around-the-world-in-a-san-juan-24-a-143748.html

If even half of you post tits, it would make this thread exciting again.

They're smarter than us... Rimas's mental health was questioned about post #5, took us about 50 pages.

I think some of those posters there are also over here, so they had a head start.

Part of me really respects this guy for saying fuck it I'm going. Then the other part is SMH!

I can't wait to see where he ends up, some of those drifting predictions look solid.

Good luck buddy!

...I wonder if any of the routing experts might come over from the VO thread,so we can see what things will look like.

Anyone developed polars for Rimass yet? :mellow:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-176.20,-21.28,1315

Wind below the beam puts Rimas into Australia, perhaps he will make it down the coast. He will need a big tow out of Pago Pago to overcome that lee shore.

Someone throw out a glass bottle with a message in it the same time Rimas departs.

Good luck buddy!

...I wonder if any of the routing experts might come over from the VO thread,so we can see what things will look like.

Anyone developed polars for Rimass yet? :mellow:

These should be pretty close.

http://adrift.org.au/map?lat=-22.4&lng=-164.7&center=-96.8&startmon=Jan

Our "Hero" is very pleased with the results of his latest hustle and has been busy posting pics of a new Handheld VHF (which should prove very useful while Rounding the Horn...).

Some of these pics scream: "Me No Crazy..."

The expedition sailing solo around the world in a San Juan 24foot.
I got a huge value donation for $290 dollars from the Korean Marine Store, the best radio.
Thank you to Korean owner for supporting my one of the biggest adventure in the American history.

1908169_429889107169994_2750448467315170
11101827_429889530503285_671143947155310

11080986_429889630503275_617463910035701

11012472_429889790503259_734589682747263

Good to see our great great chicken choker hero is working the crowds who've gathered

..... last I checked, that Cobra's wayyy overpriced and has a questionable level of waterproof integrity :mellow:

.......seems to match the boat well!! :lol:

.....''see!?...people still give me stuff!''

11012472_429889790503259_734589682747263

........whatcherbet the marine store fellow follows SA! :)

That's a nice gesture and all, but if you're depending on a VHS hand-held, you need Icom. It's the only serious choice.

Superior battery, superior audio, superior ruggedness, etc.

Is someone going to hook up the charger to work with his solar panel?

How much solar power does Captain have?

That's a nice gesture and all, but if you're depending on a VHS hand-held, you need Icom. It's the only serious choice.

Superior battery, superior audio, superior ruggedness, etc.

... ...

Well, it was free (to him). FWIW agree, I have an ICOM that is zipped into my PFD pocket and a couple of Standard/West/Lowrance/something handhelds that I loan out. A couple years ago I bought two of those Cobra VHFs, exact model pictured above, for $19.99 (on special sale), and found them to be crap. Not as useful as tin cans & string. Not as waterproof, either.

tin-can-telephone1.png

FB- Doug

I have the ICOM M72 and it is a tank.

As always, ICOM has tuned the audio by eq'ing the frequencies to punch through background noise. They've been doing this better than anybody, forever.

The battery life on my M72 is unbelievable. In the 6 years I've owned mine, I've charged the battery 5 times, max! I only use it for monitoring R/C during starts and for short, to-the-point comms, but still, charging less than once per year? I challenge any other handheld on that feature alone.

Can't we just have a whip-round for something useful:-

CoffinTheRoyale.gif

.. .. .. although, if you're gonna get lost at sea, it will be as much use as a life-ring & MOB gear.

shit just read all 80 pages the last week, and what a trip (for me, not Rimas - he just drifted) must admit that most of time i was 50/50 if this was for real or not..
Best part have to be when he post the pictures of the sails turning upside down or the hawaii or not hawaii situation when he is "low on food" or when he ends up drifting by kiribati.. but that is actually tough to decide as there is so many epic moments.

You guys are great and his trip wouldnt have been so interesting if this thread didnt excist and i am looking forward to follow the next adventure in real time/slow motion/drifting mode

.....^^......no shit sherlock!

.....if it wasn't for this thread and the spot tracker, I don't think Rimas would even exist :mellow:

....but yes it's good this thread is here, it helps exorcise that inner Rimass within each of us :lol:

shit just read all 80 pages the last week, and what a trip (for me, not Rimas - he just drifted) must admit that most of time i was 50/50 if this was for real or not..

Best part have to be when he post the pictures of the sails turning upside down or the hawaii or not hawaii situation when he is "low on food" or when he ends up drifting by kiribati.. but that is actually tough to decide as there is so many epic moments.

You guys are great and his trip wouldnt have been so interesting if this thread didnt excist and i am looking forward to follow the next adventure in real time/slow motion/drifting mode

I confess I am really missing the found poetry that comes from his delorme.

I have the ICOM M72 and it is a tank.

As always, ICOM has tuned the audio by eq'ing the frequencies to punch through background noise. They've been doing this better than anybody, forever.

The battery life on my M72 is unbelievable. In the 6 years I've owned mine, I've charged the battery 5 times, max! I only use it for monitoring R/C during starts and for short, to-the-point comms, but still, charging less than once per year? I challenge any other handheld on that feature alone.

I have two Uniden MHS75 (one purchased as a refurb) that go more than a year on battery life without charging and with occasional use. They get used when someone on the dinghy needs a radio, when friends are kayaking and need a radio, or when we're out on the 505. The rarely get charged because whenever I think the charger is on my boat it is at home and visa-versa.

These are supposed to be crap radios and I keep expecting them to die, but audio quality is good, they've helped up to continuous salt water abuse, and battery life is great. I have two because someone stole the charger for my first one (out of my car) and it was cheaper to buy a second radio refurb with charger then to buy a charger by itself.

I'd still prefer an Icom, and someday when both of these Unidens die I will get one.

Uh... you must appease the gallery on your first post, or very shortly thereafter by posting a visual of mammalian protuberances.

The clock is ticking!

B)

Big time grifting! Beneteau? Hmmmmm....

post-3652-0-65445800-1427976228_thumb.jp

If you've been following, that is the FIRST time Rimas has EVER replied to a comment on one of this posts. :D Must be because some is offering him something for free. :D

Uh... you must appease the gallery on your first post, or very shortly thereafter by posting a visual of mammalian protuberances.

The clock is ticking!

B)

first post is now history so guess its to late :)

.....^^......no shit sherlock!

.....if it wasn't for this thread and the spot tracker, I don't think Rimas would even exist :mellow:

....but yes it's good this thread is here, it helps exorcise that inner Rimass within each of us :lol:

good point. Think of all the money that would save the American taxpayers.

Really frosts me that he, a low life that has never worked anywhere according to his own statements, now gets SSI checks. He will never recieve one penny from me. If he were an honest man willing to work just down on his luck but wishing to try doing what rimas wishes to do i would definately support the effort.

The clock is ticking!

B)

is this what you want? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1xicy0yJM

or is this what you were refering to....http://www.nature-breasts.com/fhg/16_NatureBreasts/nb_pix01/agnes14/1989061/