• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Pertinacious Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

OK, it's almost 10,000 posts about Rimas's most excellent voyages. As a recent FaceBook friend I receive dozens of "friending" acceptance notices, stupid tourist shots of American Samoa and now he's in the the Pacific Northwest with happy happy goo-goo shots of his friends and may find best boat to challenge the Horn on the cheap. He's become my biggest Timeline poster. I tire of it. Until Rimas gets a new boat with Cape Horn plans he's just juking FaceBook for dough.

I retire from posting until Rimas once again leaves a harbor or gets towed out for a solo voyage on a hopefully worthy craft.

It seems that since we managed to orbit both a dog and a monkey around the earth that Jean suspects their is still a way to get Rimas out back on the water.

Lets just hope he remembers to put a window in the boat so he can see out.

Anyone got a pic of BJ's boat as seen through a porthole? I kinda need one right now. ;)

ESPANOL dumb fucks. She's saying she wants to suck the goodness out of Blue Crab. I'm ohey with that!

Oops! Cant paste today.

didn't look spanish but likely a south American variation of spanish. Blue Crab you are welcome to jump in my crab cooker for a nice warm bath after which we will be happy to suck all the goodness out of your chitin :)

translated it means:

Silvina my hen

it uses zapititos of

ballerina

it combs and enlists

just as an artist

and with his cowlick

a chignon does

chignon is some kind of hair do made into a knot

original below

silvina gallina

silvina mi gallina

usa zapititos de

bailarina

se peina y se alista

igual que un artista

y con su copete

se hace un rodete

silvina hen

ESPANOL dumb fucks. She's saying she wants to suck the goodness out of Blue Crab. I'm ohey with that!

Oops! Cant paste today.

didn't look spanish but likely a south American variation of spanish. Blue Crab you are welcome to jump in my crab cooker for a nice warm bath after which we will be happy to suck all the goodness out of your chitin :)

translated it means:

Silvina my hen

it uses zapititos of

ballerina

it combs and enlists

just as an artist

and with his cowlick

a chignon does

original below

silvina gallina

silvina mi gallina

usa zapititos de

bailarina

se peina y se alista

igual que un artista

y con su copete

se hace un rodete

silvina hen

Well, that was very elucidating.

Rimas might like this older girl, even though she is still too good for him. She has high cockpit coamings to mount his flare gun to, an interior that reminds one of an old Russian church pew and V berth confession booth.

Re name her, "Ineptune's Ride"

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/5082154680.html

00L0L_eEiEqD42BD8_600x450.jpg

This thread's title is defunct since Rimas is 2 x SJ24s down and no record's broken… except the silly one's we've made up. In fact Rimas and us all are back at square one.

Can a thread's title be changed? 'Rimas's adventures in raising money on Facebook' is where it currently stands.

I was interested at first, and impressed with his attitude and endurance (and luck, lots of luck) on his initial busted voyage south and the diversion to Hawaii with half his standing rigging gone.

After that, not as much.

I too am ready to lay off this thread. I had expected him to go missing eventually when (not really if) his luck, unaided by any further progress in his sailing knowledge and discretion, ran out.

This is going to be good...Rimas is setting up Jim to buy him a boat way beyond his ability and finances to maintain, let alone fix up. I hope y'all keep us updated on the FB status.

Oops! Cant paste today.

translated it means:

Silvina my hen

it uses zapititos of

ballerina

it combs and enlists

just as an artist

and with his cowlick

a chignon does

original below

silvina gallina

silvina mi gallina

usa zapititos de

bailarina

se peina y se alista

igual que un artista

y con su copete

se hace un rodete

silvina hen

Well, that was very elucidating.

I think my translation was better... more accurate anyway

FB- Doug

Today Rimas is reading an article in Sail about Donna Lange sailing around the world.

I've been wondering about the orange life ring.

Without that focus, I'm concerned that Rimas might swallow the anchor and live at Jim Furnish's house.

Today Rimas is reading an article in Sail about Donna Lange sailing around the world.

Without that focus, I'm concerned that Rimas might swallow the anchor and live at Jim Furnish's house.

Jim Furnish's just deserts.

He should call the new boat Free Lunch.

A free 4ksb is one thing. Dropping 10K for a real boat, and giving it to a proven total loser equals two proven total losers IMFUCKINGHO.

In honor of his upwind sailing skills he could also rename it "Dead Beat".

perfect name!

From the pictures posted rimas looks very much at home in Jim's house already. What more could he ask for: maid, cook, butler service coupled to a source of free money to do what ever he wishes.......hummm....maybe a beautiful young female nurse to bath shave dress him and attend to his other physical needs would be a nice touch...

It can be legally hard to get rid of someone once you have invited them in for a few days if they don't wish to leave

From the pictures posted rimas looks very much at home in Jim's house already. What more could he ask for: maid, cook, butler service coupled to a source of free money to do what ever he wishes.......hummm....maybe a beautiful young female nurse to bath shave dress him and attend to his other physical needs would be a nice touch...

It can be legally hard to get rid of someone once you have invited them in for a few days if they don't wish to leave

Do not let them receive US Postal Service mail at your domicile!!! Cost one of my mate 20 grand to buy off an ex GF, who he had been trying to evict for years....

LOL! We'll see if Furnish's tune changes after the lazy dead beat sponges off him a while, and never lifts a finger.

LOL! We'll see if Furnish's tune changes after the lazy dead beat sponges off him a while, and never lifts a finger.

The chicken doesn't count?

Do not let them receive US Postal Service mail at your domicile!!! Cost one of my mate 20 grand to buy off an ex GF, who he had been trying to evict for years....

How would you stop them? all they have to do is submit a change of address form to the post office listing your address and it is official.

How would you stop them? all they have to do is submit a change of address form to the post office listing your address and it is official.

• Have your mailbox be a drop-box with key -- mail can be delivered by the postman but only the key-holder can retreive it.
  • Mark all mail to RImas as "INCORRECT ADDRESS - NOBODY HERE BY THAT NAME - RETURN TO SENDER" and every few weeks or so, whenever it's convenient, drop it off at the post office.
  • Tell Rimas, "Nope. No mail for you today."

wow...

11709797_776716776976_720582256903859633

This whole eventual failure reminds me of a guy who used to (try to) go enduro riding with us.He was in his late 50's, no riding exp at all, buys a KTM 450 and falls every 50 ft. We tell him to get a smaller bike, something he can learn with but he feels that because of his age he should have a "good" bike. Later on after many falls he sells the 450 and gets a CRF 250. Thank God we thought... But.... he thinks it's too wimpy and for teenagers so he sells it and gets a KTM 2 stroke 300...followed by much more falling... The bike wont make the rider just like the boat...any fuck'n boat wont make Rim ass a sailor. It's all in his head

wow...

This whole eventual failure reminds me of a guy who used to (try to) go enduro riding with us.He was in his late 50's, no riding exp at all, buys a KTM 450 and falls every 50 ft. We tell him to get a smaller bike, something he can learn with but he feels that because of his age he should have a "good" bike. Later on after many falls he sells the 450 and gets a CRF 250. Thank God we thought... But.... he thinks it's too wimpy and for teenagers so he sells it and gets a KTM 2 stroke 300...followed by much more falling... The bike wont make the rider just like the boat...any fuck'n boat wont make Rim ass a sailor. It's all in his head
The only good thing about guys like that is that it allows guys like me to get killer deals on mint condition KTM 300's.

They even usually already have them all geared up with a Scott's damper, and all the good EE guards.

I disagree, you learn quicker when you fail more. A beginner is going to learn more about sailing if he buys a 29er for a first boat over a vagabond. & what's all this KTM shite, harden the fuck up & get yourself a CR500

I disagree, you learn quicker when you fail more. A beginner is going to learn more about sailing if he buys a 29er for a first boat over a vagabond. & what's all this KTM shite, harden the fuck up & get yourself a CR500

Maybe, but Rimas won't learn, regardless. This has been proven by his choice to ignore thousands of dollars of reward for sailing alone and unassisted around Am Samoa.

Maybe, but Rimas won't learn, regardless. This has been proven by his choice to ignore thousands of dollars of reward for sailing alone and unassisted around Am Samoa.
Yep, nearly $2000 he turned down. He insists he knows how to sail, and can sail upwind. Results say otherwise.

I'm not so sure.

Perhaps after getting the basics down, but putting a total beginner in a 29er for their first sail would not be a very good learning tool.

And, having spent a ton of time on both a CR500 and a KTM300, I can tell you that I am probably 50% faster through single track on the KTM, plus I can ride for 50% longer at that pace.

Plus, nothing compares to pushing a button to start the 300. Kicking sucks.

• Have your mailbox be a drop-box with key -- mail can be delivered by the postman but only the key-holder can retreive it.
  • Mark all mail to RImas as "INCORRECT ADDRESS - NOBODY HERE BY THAT NAME - RETURN TO SENDER" and every few weeks or so, whenever it's convenient, drop it off at the post office.
  • Tell Rimas, "Nope. No mail for you today."

good idea, got that Jim?

wow...

You nailed it again. Whats that old saying, You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink.....I knew a lady that was the worst driver i have ever known. She started driving at 19 and was still driving at 70 having never learned how to drive. I tried to help her learn when i met her and she was 60. Was hopeless, her method was to just go and not to worry about other drivers as they were watching out for themselves. She never really had any major accidents but that was because she always drove back streets and never on highways. She used her horn often and her family told me she had always been that way and refused to learn......She sounds just like rimas

I'm not so sure.

Perhaps after getting the basics down, but putting a total beginner in a 29er for their first sail would not be a very good learning tool.

And, having spent a ton of time on both a CR500 and a KTM300, I can tell you that I am probably 50% faster through single track on the KTM, plus I can ride for 50% longer at that pace.

Hahaha! ya, back in the day b4 all the electric starters they used to call those KTM's kick till monday. I used to have a KX 500 and it was pretty good but a lot of power for the technical shit and if it got away from you you'd wrap urself around a tree pretty quick. The best bike I ever had was the VOR 503 hands down for speed and handling.. it was straight up point n shoot. Enduro is so diverse that many times a smaller bike will be less tiring too. The 300 is a good bike though good in both bottom n top ends , light n powerful. Rim ass should get an old columbia 24 for about 1000 bucks easy , thats about in his budget.

I'm not so sure.

Hahaha! ya, back in the day b4 all the electric starters they used to call those KTM's kick till monday. I used to have a KX 500 and it was pretty good but a lot of power for the technical shit and if it got away from you you'd wrap urself around a tree pretty quick. The best bike I ever had was the VOR 503 hands down for speed and handling.. it was straight up point n shoot. Enduro is so diverse that many times a smaller bike will be less tiring too. The 300 is a good bike though good in both bottom n top ends , light n powerful. Rim ass should get an old columbia 24 for about 1000 bucks easy , thats about in his budget.

rimas dosen't have a budget. His is a grifters budget

I didn't realize so many of you lunatics are trying to kill yourselves with motorcycles.

Yes, the thread finally got interesting again. Maybe we could go back on topic when Rimas gets towed away from land again. In the mean time, I miss my old Husky. Got rid of it when I discovered mountain biking. Probably sent more on my latest bike than I ever did on dirt bikes.

I didn't realize so many of you lunatics are trying to kill yourselves with motorcycles.

most people have a time in their lives when they are invincible, accidents happen to others. For most that's the teenage years, but some are slow maturing like the ones in this thread you are referring to. I was there and prided myself on having very short pegs cause they were worn down from sharp turns. We would race down curvy roads often at 100+ stopping at each bar for fuel then off again. None of use were ever killed and only a couple of accidents and no tickets. They didn't use choppers back then and the cop cars had no chance in h of catching us. I quit at 22 when my thermos flew off at 90 and i went back and retrieved it. Was one of those stanley stainless steel jobs and it still worked but was a bit lop sided. I kept it around and each time i looked at it I would think what would i look like if i had taken the fall instead of the thermos. I grew up a lot instantly, that thermos saved my life. So, you were never a lunatic like the rest of us?

So, you were never a lunatic like the rest of us?

No. Donorcycles never appealed to me, though I can SEE the appeal.

I stick to safe things, like sailing.

I destroyed too many bicycles to think that I would ever live past 18 on a motorcycle.

I destroyed too many bicycles to think that I would ever live past 18 on a motorcycle.

Could be for me that they were huge in my neighborhood growing up in Ohio. A few of the kids spent a lot of time "riding sickles" (how it was pronounced out there), and had backyard mini bikes and trail bikes. Even if my parents could afford one I don't see that they would have wanted me on one...

Rode one around a parking like once or twice as a teenager but I wasn't ever in a position to get one until I was much too wise to do so.

Could be for me that they were huge in my neighborhood growing up in Ohio. A few of the kids spent a lot of time "riding sickles" (how it was pronounced out there), and had backyard mini bikes and trail bikes. Even if my parents could afford one I don't see that they would have wanted me on one...

Rode one around a parking like once or twice as a teenager but I wasn't ever in a position to get one until I was much too wise to do so.

I was never into motorcycles until I was 18 and got a job at a boat sales/marine hardware store that also sold Honda motorcycles. I bought a couple of old trade ins. I have owned several more in my life. Most were small and mid sized dirt and road bikes. But when I retired in 2009, as a "graduation" present, I bought my self a Buell XB12X. I guess I have not been that wild on the road. I did damage myself off road riding a couple of times.

I have probably spent more on my bicycles then I spent on all my motorcycles. And always more on my boats than just about anything else.

Yes, the thread finally got interesting again. Maybe we could go back on topic when Rimas gets towed away from land again. In the mean time, I miss my old Husky. Got rid of it when I discovered mountain biking. Probably sent more on my latest bike than I ever did on dirt bikes.

One of the kids who has been through our local sailing programs and is now a valued Jr. Instructor is also into off road motorcycle racing. I thought he was weird. The two activities don't seem to me to go together. Looks like I was wrong, he's not all that weird. Or all of you are weird.

I've only ridden a little bit, borrowing a cousin's tiny motorcycle when I was a teen. It was scary and fun but I never got the bug.

Closest I get is to ride the kind that go on water. It's possible I'm the weird one. Whatever makes you grin.

seadoospray.jpg

Sailing is safe?? Lost a bicep tendon and ruined my rotator cuff twice doing foredeck on Etchells. Right rotator cuff is totally gone now, only thing they can do is a total shoulder replacement, which is not going to happen, since I am 95% fully functional without it. Just can't do anything overhead that requires a lot of strength, but trimming main, jib and spin is okay; just need an extra hand with the the kite when blowing over 20 knots. Probably have to get my own boat pretty soon, because driving is the least physical, and most mental and most fun as well.

Had lots of donorcycles years ago, and nearly became a donor once or twice. Thinking I want one again (BMW GS700), but maybe not a wise choice at age 60???

He's still looking for the blue water boat. Apparently, that means a raft with a shack.

rimas-irony.jpg

I'm not completely sure whether he intends to imitate the original or the recreators.

From wiki:

Tangaroa was launched on the same day that Kon-Tiki had been—April 28—and it reached its destination on July 7, which was 30 days faster than Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki which had taken 101 days for the voyage. Tangaroa's speed was credited to the proper use of the quara centerboards in navigation. Heyerdahl had not known how to correctly use them.

I'm going to guess his respect for tradition will cause him to imitate the original.

From a Contessa 26 to a raft with a shack? This guy is stark raving mad!! Nucking Futz!!

Many think he's a clever con. I'm with you. He's delusional. A clever person would have learned to sail in 120 days on the ocean.

most people have a time in their lives when they are invincible, accidents happen to others. For most that's the teenage years, but some are slow maturing like the ones in this thread you are referring to. I was there and prided myself on having very short pegs cause they were worn down from sharp turns. We would race down curvy roads often at 100+ stopping at each bar for fuel then off again. None of use were ever killed and only a couple of accidents and no tickets. They didn't use choppers back then and the cop cars had no chance in h of catching us. I quit at 22 when my thermos flew off at 90 and i went back and retrieved it. Was one of those stanley stainless steel jobs and it still worked but was a bit lop sided. I kept it around and each time i looked at it I would think what would i look like if i had taken the fall instead of the thermos. I grew up a lot instantly, that thermos saved my life. So, you were never a lunatic like the rest of us?
Here is my take on it.

I used to ride streetbikes a lot, but I doubt I will again. I see way too many cars swerving around the road with people texting.

This goes back to what I have said a few times about the R2AK, EC, and any of the other threads concerning dangerous sailing "expeditions".

While I understand that the offload dirt biking I do is dangerous, as is the mountain biking I do, and the skiing, sailing, skydiving, flying, diving, etc. the common denominator is me.

I am willing to accept the risks, and most of them can be mitigated by ensuring my skills are up to the task.

That is NOT the case for street bikes. It makes no difference if you are the worlds best rider, a little old lady on her Sunday drive to church can still mow you down.

I'm a passionate supporter of people who decide to push their limits and set off on solo missions, and that would include Rimas, if he would simply step up and learn some skills.

I think most here agree, we are not expecting him to miraculously become some solo sailing god, ready to do the Vendee. We do however expect that he should at least be able to sail closer to the wind than 90*.

Here is my take on it.

I used to ride streetbikes a lot, but I doubt I will again. I see way too many cars swerving around the road with people texting.

This goes back to what I have said a few times about the R2AK, EC, and any of the other threads concerning dangerous sailing "expeditions".

While I understand that the offload dirt biking I do is dangerous, as is the mountain biking I do, and the skiing, sailing, skydiving, flying, diving, etc. the common denominator is me.

I am willing to accept the risks, and most of them can be mitigated by ensuring my skills are up to the task.

That is NOT the case for street bikes. It makes no difference if you are the worlds best rider, a little old lady on her Sunday drive to church can still mow you down.

I'm a passionate supporter of people who decide to push their limits and set off on solo missions, and that would include Rimas, if he would simply step up and learn some skills.

I think most here agree, we are not expecting him to miraculously become some solo sailing god, ready to do the Vendee. We do however expect that he should at least be able to sail closer to the wind than 90*.

Been street riding for twenty years. I ride less for these very reasons (more cars on fewer roads with kids and adults texting). And more and more cage drivers know less and less how to drive (rules of the road, etc). Especially as driving is no longer a privilege but now a RIGHT in the US.

Nowadays, one must plan when riding. Like time when there are fewer cars on the road to get to that deserted twisty road on the otherside of the state. Heck much like sailing around here!

He's still looking for the blue water boat. Apparently, that means a raft with a shack.

rimas-irony.jpg

I'm not completely sure whether he intends to imitate the original or the recreators.

From wiki:

Tangaroa was launched on the same day that Kon-Tiki had beenApril 28and it reached its destination on July 7, which was 30 days faster than Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki which had taken 101 days for the voyage. Tangaroa's speed was credited to the proper use of the quara centerboards in navigation. Heyerdahl had not known how to correctly use them.

I'm going to guess his respect for tradition will cause him to imitate the original.

Heading to Tahiti? Given his poor sailing skills and complete lack of navigation skills, he will be lucky to make it through the Tuamotos without wrecking. OTOH, he is a very lucky cockroach. I wish we could get a tracker aboard, it would be entertaining.

Would you buy a boat, give it to an incompetent fool, and not want to know where it is at all times?

And watch the track come to a stop at a Tuamotuan atoll, and then silence? I doubt Jean would care to know he sent his friend to his death. OTOH, Jim Furnish would be cheering Rimas for dying and not being an "elitist" sailor...."elitist" being someone who actually knows how to sail.

Heading to Tahiti? Given his poor sailing skills and complete lack of navigation skills, he will be lucky to make it through the Tuamotos without wrecking. OTOH, he is a very lucky cockroach. I wish we could get a tracker aboard, it would be entertaining.

Maybe he should marry Teela Brown! derp.png

I'd fund their children on an improbable journey.

Would you buy a boat, give it to an incompetent fool, and not want to know where it is at all times?

And watch the track come to a stop at a Tuamotuan atoll, and then silence? I doubt Jean would care to know he sent his friend to his death. OTOH, Jim Furnish would be cheering Rimas for dying and not being an "elitist" sailor...."elitist" being someone who actually knows how to sail.
I'm sure Jean knows that if Rimas is towed out of port, there is a good chance he is never coming back.

What did I miss with Jim? I thought all those Facebook posts were him having some fun, are you saying he was being serious?

I'm sure Jean knows that if Rimas is towed out of port, there is a good chance he is never coming back.

What did I miss with Jim? I thought all those Facebook posts were him having some fun, are you saying he was being serious?

Took me a while to figure him out. I'm pretty sure he's a commercial fisherman who hates yachties. We're "elitist", you know <rolleyes>. Thus he celebrates Rimas for being the antithesis of competent and responsible sailing.

I remember riding an XR 250 on the streets of Athens back in the early 80s .2 wheels ruled the streets and you see guys on KZ 1000s doing some real crazy bike messenger shit.I think that's where super moto was born when some guy put GSXR wheels on an XR 500 . Bikes n boats have always been my life started riding dirt bikes at 8 and sailing at 10

When sailing became the job the dirt bike became the pressure release valve.

Took me a while to figure him out. I'm pretty sure he's a commercial fisherman who hates yachties. We're "elitist", you know <rolleyes>. Thus he celebrates Rimas for being the antithesis of competent and responsible sailing.
Unreal. So he actually believes that crap. I was convinced he was just winding all the fanboys up.

He might not be as supportive if Rimas drifts downwind through his fishing nets...

Dirt riding really isn't that deadly, a ton of physical work, but at the end of the day you really need to work at killing yourself on even the hottest trail bike.

Same deal with track riding. The only Grand Prix motorcycle champion to die on the track...ever...died testing a Formula 1 car. Bashed & bruised & break the odd bone, sure. But you still go home at the end of the day.

Now riding a bike on the street, any bike, has just upped your chances of "Death By Misadventure" by an exponential amount. At one point, more Marines were being killed on streetbikes annually than in Afghanistan & Iraq combined.

I never cared for dirt riding, and I only ever did one or two trackdays a year...so I'm riding 10k or so a year on the street, waiting for the big one.

And the whole "don't bother with a beginner boat" tosh is analogous to a learner buying a 1000cc liter bike to learn on. Yeah, that never ends well.

In the late '80s-early '90s I had several friends who worked in rehabilitation. Most of their work centered around teaching head trauma patients to eat, talk, dress themselves, walk, and so on.

In 1992, when California adopted the universal helmet law, they were all out of work within a month.

I bought my first dirt bike (minibike) at 10 with newspaper route money. Sold it for my first boat. Bought another dirt bike. Sold the boat for a bigger boat.

My son started riding dirt bikes at ten. Now at thirty has a street legal dirt bike.

I stopped riding dirt bikes when he was sixteen and the last adventure left me on crutches.

Forty years riding road bikes. Helps with my prayer life.

Ever talk to a bum? I mean a real no fixed address caught taking a shit in a bucket in a park all his life's possessions in a shopping cart kind of bum.

Its a nice summer night here so I split a fifth of bourbon with a Rimas relaxing on fresh cut city owned curb lawn.

He's off to Vancouver for the winter, Toronto is a summer town, he didn't want a job past cleaning or gardening for a weekend, his gov't cheque covered everything, plus some he tucks away in a tax free savings account.

I asked him if he ever thought about living on a boat.

"Nah, you can't trust those motherfuckerers, boat bums are the worst...cocksucker"

Maybe he should marry Teela Brown! derp.png

I'd fund their children on an improbable journey.

Somehow I think Teela would have something happen to her to avoid ever being able to have that happen...