Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

LOL. Non-stop? It will take him 1000+ days. He can't possibly carry the needed provisions in a 26' boat. Nor can his boat maintenance skills keep the boat together for 2 1/2 years. Just look at the SJ...re-fitted in SF in the summer, a piece of junk 6 months later.

You forget, bigger boat, bigger dinghy. He can carry lots of mashed potatoes in the dinghy.

Keep the boat together? He's drifting, not sailing. What's to keep together?

True, he could tow a barge full of provisions behind him and drift downwind as fast as he "sails". That's going to be quite an entourage to tow in and out of the harbor, though.

It would be a crying shame to see another dinghy go to Davey Jones' locker with all that buttery mashed potatoes.

How about this one?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/5114949632.html

1978 San Juan 24 $500 this weekend only - $500

Includes a trailer, so next time he calls for a tow it can be just anybody with some free time and a pickup truck. The Coast Guard wouldn't have to be bothered with him any more.

FB- Doug

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Pertinacious Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

LOL. Non-stop? It will take him 1000+ days. He can't possibly carry the needed provisions in a 26' boat. Nor can his boat maintenance skills keep the boat together for 2 1/2 years. Just look at the SJ...re-fitted in SF in the summer, a piece of junk 6 months later.

You forget, bigger boat, bigger dinghy. He can carry lots of mashed potatoes in the dinghy.

True, he could tow a barge full of provisions behind him and drift downwind as fast as he "sails". That's going to be quite an entourage to tow in and out of the harbor, though.

It would be a crying shame to see another dinghy go to Davey Jones' locker with all that buttery mashed potatoes.

How about this one?

Includes a trailer, so next time he calls for a tow it can be just anybody with some free time and a pickup truck. The Coast Guard wouldn't have to be bothered with him any more.

FB- Doug

The San Juan Class Association may have an objection to their fleet being reduced in size by Rimas.

How about this one?

FB- Doug

The San Juan Class Association may have an objection to their fleet being reduced in size by Rimas.

Well, on the other hand, I'm thinking of buying him as many San Juan 21s as he wants.

FB- Doug

This one is big enough to carry all the Idahoan potatoes and a chicken ranch that he needs for 3 years non stop drifting. Comes with blonde.??

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/5086753363.html

00u0u_2VZzohYnPsv_600x450.jpg

Who is going to pay for the repairs? Gofundme???

"This boat is a classic Gaff Rigged Schooner. Hull was laid up by Samson in 1974 and she went in the water in 1982. She was very well built but has had an up and down life and currently needs repairs. Has a seized 44 HP Yanmar (I have a replacement to install). Cockpit has been rebuilt but binnacle has not been installed so no steering. There is rot in the cabin top and it will have to be replaced in the coming years. Currently in Point Roberts so the new owner will have to either assume the moorage ($550 per month or about $5000 per year) or tow it away. First person with $2,000 CAD cash is the new owner (add $1,000 if you want the spare engine).

PLEASE do not contact me unless you can take over the moorage or tow it away."

There is a place to make comments about the story in Bitter Gnats link above.

Field trip??? :ph34r:

Been there.

I think the same reporter wrote the panhandling piece, someone needs to suggest Rimas needs a license.

More people need to post there, to hopefully raise the consciousness of his adoring fanboys and girls.

I thought Reid Stowe was a charlatan, but at least he knew how to sail, and was relatively self-supporting* with no outside help for 1000 days!!

* Self supporting except for Jon Sanders picking up his preggers GF so he could continue on with his "record setting" mission!!! LOL!

Doesn't require engine or steerage for drifting. A bit of caulking on the topsides and he is good to go. An outgoing tide and he is sucked out to Victoria and on his way.

TurnerBabyLL-G.jpg

GnQJTih.png

No he won't. He turned down almost $2000 in pledges to demonstrate the ability to sail upwind.

I meant Bill or any other homeless guy could do it,not stubborn Rimas.

I doubt that Bill looks in the mirror much, nor is concerned with introspection on why he can't get a job. I'm guessing the rich woman wanting Bill will be hard to find. He needs a larger Billboard.

How about this one?

FB- Doug

For Rimas's convenience just leave the trailer attached. Won't hurt his sailing er, drifting performance and just might enable him to set a world record.

More people need to post comments on the online newspaper story linked below. BJ and I have posted there, now it's your turn.

Good night, early alarm for work tomorrow.....

http://www.dailyastorian.com/ear/20150717/in-one-ear-restless-for-the-sea#.Vapd8avu8j8.facebook

Rimas was at the head of the pier this morning.

That looks like a grainy Bigfoot shot by a crypto zoologist.

The only mythical pars of Rimas are his sailing skills.

I was trying to take a clandestine photo. He was holding court showing off his photo s.

Yeah but standing it on a beach is easy with training wheels lashed under the boat. I wanna see if he can do it again without.

Me? What'd I do?

Yeah but standing it on a beach is easy with training wheels lashed under the boat. I wanna see if he can do it again without.

Me? What'd I do?

You showed up. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Me? What'd I do?

You showed up. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Yeah, but TW certainly doesn't deserve to be lashed

I think a strong talking-to is enough

FB- Doug

More people need to post comments on the online newspaper story linked below. BJ and I have posted there, now it's your turn.

http://www.dailyastorian.com/ear/20150717/in-one-ear-restless-for-the-sea#.Vapd8avu8j8.facebook

I would love to but they require too much information to join. I don't like data miners. My personnel information should be confidential and not given to anyone without first getting my permission which none of these sites do, they want you to sign a blank check and I refuse to do that.

I would love to but they require too much information to join. I don't like data miners. My personnel information should be confidential and not given to anyone without first getting my permission which none of these sites do, they want you to sign a blank check and I refuse to do that.

You can create create a Disqus account, which is what I did to avoid commenting with Facebook or Google accounts that I use for other reasons.

837611.jpg

You can create create a Disqus account, which is what I did to avoid commenting with Facebook or Google accounts that I use for other reasons.

837611.jpg

thanks. Will have to read the fine print to see what their policies are. The girl in the pix above looks like she also subsists on buttery Idaho instant potatoes and wodka.

thanks. Will have to read the fine print to see what their policies are. The girl in the pix above looks like she also subsists on buttery Idaho instant potatoes and wodka.

I just refuse to connect my Facebook or Google accounts to anything, on FB I don't allow ANY Platform Apps which makes those "Login With Facebook" things not work to well since they can't steal my information so they fail.

I decided to create a Disqus account because it is a separate way to login aside from the other linked accounts, and a large number of places are using it now. Being a big mouth I just can't read something and not leave a snarky-ass comment.

I just refuse to connect my Facebook or Google accounts to anything, on FB I don't allow ANY Platform Apps which makes those "Login With Facebook" things not work to well since they can't steal my information so they fail.

I just got finished explaining to an otherwise bright person how, when the agreed to "share" their FB info, what that meant, what they were agreeing to, what the consequences are.

I just got finished explaining to an otherwise bright person how, when the agreed to "share" their FB info, what that meant, what they were agreeing to, what the consequences are.

My sockpuppet believes in online anonymity and refuses to disclose his identity. I usually confine him to PA.

Sincerely,

Publius

And now, news from Tom Ray:

Rimas has been sighted at Shannon's place. I suggested installation of a DeLorme in his hat.

I decided to create a Disqus account because it is a separate way to login aside from the other linked accounts, and a large number of places are using it now. Being a big mouth I just can't read something and not leave a snarky-ass comment.

B.J, yes sir I like you are afflicted with big mouth disease.

Saw the perfect solution for rimas today. A perfect blue water craft even rimas can operate. All he will have to do is let the wind roll him across the waves

post-103965-0-92673400-1437530524_thumb.jpg

post-103965-0-01577900-1437530553_thumb.jpg

why are people so free with their personnal data is beyond me. I try and explain things but often hear things like" well i have nothing to hide"......Simple minds I guess ready for harvest

B.J, yes sir I like you are afflicted with big mouth disease.

Saw the perfect solution for rimas today. A perfect blue water craft even rimas can operate. All he will have to do is let the wind roll him across the waves

Being the first to walk a cross the pacific may even be a world record. I can only find one other who tried( Rémy Bricka ). The only question is where will he hang his fish?

Being the first to walk a cross the pacific may even be a world record. I can only find one other who tried( Rémy Bricka ). The only question is where will he hang his fish?

Screw the fish. Nowhere it hang it - not a problem, just throw it overboard. It's not like Rimas overthinks these things.

No. The real issue is where do you attach the tow rope for getting towed everywhere?

My sockpuppet believes in online anonymity and refuses to disclose his identity. I usually confine him to PA.

Sincerely,

Publius

Rimas has been sighted at Shannon's place. I suggested installation of a DeLorme in his hat.

Rimas was hanging out on the docks yesterday morning before the days racing. No sightings today. We were short a crewman today, but the skipper said that he would not take Rimas even if he was around.

Sincerely,

Publius

Rimas was hanging out on the docks yesterday morning before the days racing. No sightings today. We were short a crewman today, but the skipper said that he would not take Rimas even if he was around.

Have your skipper drop by so I can tell him to fuck off, but without the welcoming aspect of requesting tits.

Are you kidding me? You could have Rimas on a RACE and bring us video and you did not??? WTF man? The entertainment potential is off the charts!

So you lose a sailboat race. Big friggin' deal. There's no such thing as an important one, they're all for entertainment. What could be more entertaining than racing with Rimas?

I'd have him be snacktician myself.

Have your skipper drop by so I can tell him to fuck off, but without the welcoming aspect of requesting tits.

Are you kidding me? You could have Rimas on a RACE and bring us video and you did not??? WTF man? The entertainment potential is off the charts!

So you lose a sailboat race. Big friggin' deal. There's no such thing as an important one, they're all for entertainment. What could be more entertaining than racing with Rimas?

+1

You missed THE opportunity :(

Screw the fish. Nowhere it hang it - not a problem, just throw it overboard. It's not like Rimas overthinks these things.

No. The real issue is where do you attach the tow rope for getting towed everywhere?

:) So simple:....You don't tow a giant plastic ball with rimas inside you kick it in the direction he needs to go....geezzzz....... :rolleyes:

Sincerely,

Publius

I take it you're a fan of rotten Mahi Mahi and Chicken?

Skipper: "Hey you! Russian dude! High side!"

Rimas: "High five to you too!"

Skipper: "No! Move your ass to the weather rail!"

Rimas: "In Russia, we pay menial workers to move. Not me. Nyet!"

Skipper: "Just fuck off then..."

Rimas: <unzips pleated women's trousers>

Well done, don't stop there finish the story it was getting good

golf clap .

golf clap .

funny....But with rimas's handicap he is gonna need aids to clap

You don't elevate yourself by pushing down on others.

Its a natural part of most animals pecking order including humans. I was on the bottom for a bit in junior high school and the school bully just loved to pick on me. One day I got pissed and he went up a light pole and wouldn't come down. The rest of the school came and just stared at him until the police came and coaxed him down. I never laid a finger on him but when i went at him he headed for the nearest pole. He obviously was a bully only cause he felt inferior and somehow it boosted his ego or self esteem.

So you think some of us are like that bully?

If Rimas didn't puff himself up, there would be no reason to push him down. If he said "I'd like to do this trip, but I can't sail" there would be 2 dozen people to teach him. If he worked his ass off to buy a boat and re-fit it, there'd be a line stretched around the block of people willing to donate gear and $.

No, Rimas is a lazy pan-handler with a grossly inflated ego. He is pushed down not to build us up, but to prevent a whole flock of copy-cats. How welcome would a real cruiser be in Pago Pago if the harbor was filled with derelict 4kn shit-boxes behind on harbor dues, and all the owners were sponging off locals?

If Rimas didn't puff himself up, there would be no reason to push him down. If he said "I'd like to do this trip, but I can't sail" there would be 2 dozen people to teach him. If he worked his ass off to buy a boat and re-fit it, there'd be a line stretched around the block of people willing to donate gear and $.

No, Rimas is a lazy pan-handler with a grossly inflated ego. He is pushed down not to build us up, but to prevent a whole flock of copy-cats. How welcome would a real cruiser be in Pago Pago if the harbor was filled with derelict 4kn shit-boxes behind on harbor dues, and all the owners were sponging off locals?

citizen_kane_clap.gif

Nobody here is pushing Rimas down

Some of us have pointed out where he is actually situated on the big ladder, he put himself there despite a lot of help from many

FB- Doug

Well said RKoch, very succinct.

I saw Rimas at Whidbey on the dock on Monday morning as I was walking to the boat, and stopped to chat with him. My first impression is that he looks younger than his age, and he seems very bright and energetic. His verbal English is quite good, I have no idea why his prose is so jumbled. I told him who I was and that I was following his adventures, and that I was FB friends with him. He asked me who I was on FB and I told him. He told me he was getting money next month and that he was interested in the Contessa 26 in Vancouver. I asked him where he would start the next journey from and he said San Francisco. No explanation of how a Vancouver Contessa would get there - I didn't ask.

I asked him if he was going out racing and he said no. He gave me the impression he didn't want to, but I could be wrong about that.

I wished him well and told him I would be following his future adventures.

Reporter dash34 out.

p.s. the boat I was sailing on wasn't looking for crew. I think you guys who had room missed a huge opportunity to get him out doing some real sailing. He would have learned a thing or two and so would we!

I know I was able to hear and understand Russian words fairly quickly, but their alphabet is a mystery to me, so I would stand on sidewalks and stare at signs like a kindergartner. Luckily, for me they put a lot of signs in English as well as Russian especially highway signs. So I understand why Rimas can speak well and write interestingly.

I can understand that Rimas might not like racing either. I think he likes going slower. Plus racing is competitive and there is a chance of getting yelled at by someone who is really in the heat of the moment. Not doing his job properly would expose a lack of knowledge. And sailing fast is work. It's better to stand on the dock and see the pretty boats.

Racing boats means breaking stuff too lol. Broken things have to be replaced.

I think he can sail down to the Bay area where Jean can tow him in, although if the Contessa has an inboard engine, he might not need the tow. When his SJ24 had an outboard he got out to sea from Oak Harbor just fine.

Thanks Dash34 for the report and thanks to the others for the FB updates. I guess he looks younger because he never frets about the future...Did he show you the 1000 yard stare Dash ? :)

I saw Rimas at Whidbey on the dock on Monday morning as I was walking to the boat, and stopped to chat with him. My first impression is that he looks younger than his age, and he seems very bright and energetic. His verbal English is quite good, I have no idea why his prose is so jumbled. I told him who I was and that I was following his adventures, and that I was FB friends with him. He asked me who I was on FB and I told him. He told me he was getting money next month and that he was interested in the Contessa 26 in Vancouver. I asked him where he would start the next journey from and he said San Francisco. No explanation of how a Vancouver Contessa would get there - I didn't ask.

I asked him if he was going out racing and he said no. He gave me the impression he didn't want to, but I could be wrong about that.

I wished him well and told him I would be following his future adventures.

Reporter dash34 out.

p.s. the boat I was sailing on wasn't looking for crew. I think you guys who had room missed a huge opportunity to get him out doing some real sailing. He would have learned a thing or two and so would we!

Thanks very much for the report. San Francisco huh...maybe i will get a chance to see this guy in real time after all

I was waiting for him to mention a windfall. My guess is he has SSI as a political refugee and as such he gets lots of extras like a very liberal housing allowance which he could use to buy a boat. They also get a transportation allowance to buy a car.

I was waiting for him to mention a windfall. My guess is he has SSI as a political refugee and as such he gets lots of extras like a very liberal housing allowance which he could use to buy a boat. They also get a transportation allowance to buy a car.

Whatchoo talkin bout, Willis? I missed that part about being a political refugee. I guess I don't have the patience to wade through 10K posts on this asshat. But are you sure about the $$ that political refugees get?

He says a lot of stupid shit - perhaps he'll tell us how much the panhandlers in Sacramento make again?

Whatchoo talkin bout, Willis? I missed that part about being a political refugee. I guess I don't have the patience to wade through 10K posts on this asshat. But are you sure about the $$ that political refugees get?

Ya, I don't know about that. I teach political refugees English and they don't get any SSI. They get Medicaid and food stamps and work a deep fryer and think it's the best fucking thing ever.

I've got several friends from Russia, Poland, Bulgaris, etc, that immigrated here about the same time as Rimas, and they didn't get any kind of refugee "windfall". They just work hard.

He says a lot of stupid shit - perhaps he'll tell us how much the panhandlers in Sacramento make again?

There's an app for that.

I'm beginning to wonder if Commodore Floyd is Dabs' sock puppet.

What i stated was based upon neighbors I have and what they have confided in me one of whom was Russian . Another source is my wife who had a person with political refugee status working for her and she was complaining about having to give the employee three weeks off to go visit her mother country. I asked her how this person could afford to take the time off and she answered her company is required to pay regular salary and uncle sam pays for the trip. I said that sucks, she answered that the employee said the gov does that in order that so that she can maintain her relationships with her homeland. My wife works for a non profit organization and her workers maintain a multi story federal courthouse. Her company has great difficulty finding employees because few can pass the security clearances. She ends up with mostly foreign born often political refugees because they can pass the clearance. Most of the guards in the courthouse are either retired cops or new immigrants from eastern Europe. No past records make it easy to pass security.

Like with the Mexicans clamoring for drivers licenses. They always have been able to get them with proof of identity but they want the licenses without proving who they are. For years they have tried to pass a bill granting them undocumented drivers licenses.

For years I didn't believe what she told me until I got close to a Russian neighbor with a better car and house than mine whom confided in me he didn't work and had never worked living off SSI. He was like rimas in that he didn't believe in work that was for others. He was a nice enough guy had talked freely of his past and present. That guy made me see the light

There's an app for that.

I'm beginning to wonder if Commodore Floyd is Dabs' sock puppet.

:lol: sure why not... chuckle...I did mention the room renter Helen had that went out for a couple of hours panhandling returning with $400 to pay the rent when faced with eviction...... people keep asking the same questions so I answer them, sorry for the repeats. No Commodore but was a member of the Freeport yacht club for a bit till the club house washed away, sunk, and members lost interest so the club faded into history

I've got several friends from Russia, Poland, Bulgaris, etc, that immigrated here about the same time as Rimas, and they didn't get any kind of refugee "windfall". They just work hard.

99% of immigrants are like that. I know a several beekeepers from that neck of the woods and they work very hard. Apparently in the old country beekeepers would steal hives from one and other so that was common here at first but they soon stopped that practice and now are just like the rest of us busting butt to keep afloat.

So in other words, they have nothing in common with Rimas... at all.

She doesn't look fat to me, she looks like she is wearing a jacket because it's unseasonably chilly and showery. I'll decide later during the swimsuit competition. I think several other women wanted to take pictures with Captain Rimas. That could be all it is, but he does have an accent, so panties could be hitting the floor. One of those panties could have a new blue water boat in them.

She doesn't look fat to me, she looks like she is wearing a jacket because it's unseasonably chilly and showery. I'll decide later during the swimsuit competition. I think several other women wanted to take pictures with Captain Rimas. That could be all it is, but he does have an accent, so panties could be hitting the floor. One of those panties could have a new blue water boat in them.

My God those panties must be huge!

She seems to be wearing dinghy pants. She's a sailor. Maybe he'll listen to her?

She was racing on a boat at Whidbey Island Race Week and Rimas was just hanging around. Will he listen to her? Probably not. Her Facebook page says that she is from Estonia, so maybe they speak similar languages.

With the blouses and pleated pants ya kinda gotta wonder if he wears gals' panties too.

Rimas as a young man person:mHJACobn1nIeWbGwvSfa6QQ.jpg

he must because he is flossing himself with those britches up near his neck line .