Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

OK, it's almost 10,000 posts about Rimas's most excellent voyages. As a recent FaceBook friend I receive dozens of "friending" acceptance notices, stupid tourist shots of American Samoa and now he's in the the Pacific Northwest with happy happy goo-goo shots of his friends and may find best boat to challenge the Horn on the cheap. He's become my biggest Timeline poster. I tire of it. Until Rimas gets a new boat with Cape Horn plans he's just juking FaceBook for dough.

I retire from posting until Rimas once again leaves a harbor or gets towed out for a solo voyage on a hopefully worthy craft.

Unretired briefly because Rimas is apparently serious about getting a Cape Horn boat with a budget of $3000, something 5' longer and with all the circumnavigator stuff included (like that's on the market). Apparently he's looked at dozens of boats and put in some lowball bids here and there to no avail. He's making noises about a fall departure so the clock is ticking.

I'm stunned. He's apparently been able to keep the dream alive and live on others sofas since his return to the Mainland and has has some limited money or access to benefactor funding. He may be playing the table perfectly.

I add one observation that may dim his plans. The guy's 64 now and as the years pass performance decreases compared to a 30 year old. He may age out before he sees Cape Horn.

he won't ever get to Cape Horn without learning to sail to windward. He'll probably die first.

Just read this article about the Horn in a Don Poole built trawler built in 1976 like the one I had doing the Horn. Read their adventure below

http://www.passagemaker.com/articles/destinations/south-america/40-foot-trawler-braves-cape-horn/

Can anyone envision rimas doing this?

roaring forties, furious fifties and screaming sixties........100 foot plus waves frequent rouge ones freezing temps.....

I envision him yapping about it, until donations dry up. Then he'll become a record-breaking scientist doing a field study on global warming sea rise in the tropical islands. Whatever scam keeps the $ coming.

You mean, like his plea for donations to his record-breaking cancer research?

At least that was short-lived

FB- Doug

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RKoch

• bfloyd4445

• couchsurfer

• Pertinacious Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote An amazing resemblance... "The story follows the adventures of a Russian noble (hidalgo) named Rimas who reads Kon Tiki so many times that he loses

I thought I posted several paragraphs with pictures last night but when I checked in this morning, they were gone! So either the post was taken down or I forgot to hit "Save" (it was late and I was ti

Posted Images

Rimas is stuck in a time warp… promoting some mythical record breaking voyage when really he has just bumbled, fumbled and drifted in a dangerous manner partway across the world's most benign ocean before giving up.

9,676 posts summarized in a single, highly accurate sentence.

You mean, like his plea for donations to his record-breaking cancer research?

At least that was short-lived

FB- Doug

cancer research???...I missed that one

Even though many denied that Rimas was soliciting for cancer research, here is where it was posted before he left Oak Harbor:

https://about.me/meleshyusrimas

Who is paying for Rimas to drink Starbucks?

Dunkin' Donuts not good enough for our aristocratic non-worker?

he is a world renowned beggar grifter whose every wish seems to be granted so why not? Would you force a man of such high status to grovel in a soup kitchen for a cup of chicory?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why he wants to plant an American flag on South Georgia Island, which is owned by the UK. He's not even the sharpest spoon in the drawer.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why he wants to plant an American flag on South Georgia Island, which is owned by the UK. He's not even the sharpest spoon in the drawer.

He selects his own history, sizes his own geography and seizes his own chicken. Ohey!

humm....could it have something to do with with the practice of flying the flag of the country of documentation of vessel? Of course courtesy flag use is likely likely out of his realm of understanding

humm....could it have something to do with with the practice of flying the flag of the country of documentation of vessel? Of course courtesy flag use is likely likely out of his realm of understanding
Past custom was for a discoverer , acting as an agent for a monarch, to plant a flag on a newly "discovered" land in the name of the monarch, as a new possession. Then set about killing the natives.

In Rimas's case, it's the equivilent of coming home from work and finding squatters have set up camp in your yard.

There are about 30 people living on South Georgis Is., according to Wiki. I'm not sure their reaction. Probably a collective WTF? and several messages exchanged with HMRN to do something about the lunatic trying to freeload off them.

Past custom was for a discoverer , acting as an agent for a monarch, to plant a flag on a newly "discovered" land in the name of the monarch, as a new possession. Then set about killing the natives.

In Rimas's case, it's the equivilent of coming home from work and finding squatters have set up camp in your yard.

There are about 30 people living on South Georgis Is., according to Wiki. I'm not sure their reaction. Probably a collective WTF? and several messages exchanged with HMRN to do something about the lunatic trying to freeload off them.

It could be viewed as a hostile invasion and result in an ass woopin and a tow back out to sea.

It could be viewed as a hostile invasion and result in an ass woopin and a tow back out to sea.

That would be great hope someone gets it on video

Who is paying for Rimas to drink Starbucks?

Dunkin' Donuts not good enough for our aristocratic non-worker?

he is a world renowned beggar grifter whose every wish seems to be granted so why not? Would you force a man of such high status to grovel in a soup kitchen for a cup of chicory?

Soup kitchens generally don't have WIFI; otherwise the opportunity of a free meal wouldn't be lost on Rimas.

So what's upwind from S Georgia Island? And what's downwind? Just trying to figure possible departure and destination points for the mashed tater supply calculation.

So what's upwind from S Georgia Island? And what's downwind? Just trying to figure possible departure and destination points for the mashed tater supply calculation.

I think S Georgia is upwind or for that matter downwind of S Georgia. ;)

S Georgia is almost due east (downwind) from Cape Horn. I suspect Rimas's fascination with the island is that it was where Shackleton and a few of the Endurance crew sailed the converted lifeboat, James Cairn, to summon rescue for the remainder of the crew. Rims probably figures if he can sail there, he'll be as equally heroic.

Rimas's "upwind problem" stems from having to sail from the prevailing easterlies (roughly above 20deg) to the prevailing westerlies (roughly below 40deg). Cold fronts from the south mean he'll have several hundred miles of slogging upwind. Once he can get to the roaring forties (and Cape Horn is about 55deg, IIRC) he'll have no problem drifting downwind for several thousand miles to Cape Horn, provided he can survive 60+ knot winds, 50+ foot seas, and freezing temperatures.

S Georgia is almost due east (downwind) from Cape Horn. I suspect Rimas's fascination with the island is that it was where Shackleton and a few of the Endurance crew sailed the converted lifeboat, James Cairn, to summon rescue for the remainder of the crew. Rims probably figures if he can sail there, he'll be as equally heroic.

Rimas's "upwind problem" stems from having to sail from the prevailing easterlies (roughly above 20deg) to the prevailing westerlies (roughly below 40deg). Cold fronts from the south mean he'll have several hundred miles of slogging upwind. Once he can get to the roaring forties (and Cape Horn is about 55deg, IIRC) he'll have no problem drifting downwind for several thousand miles to Cape Horn, provided he can survive 60+ knot winds, 50+ foot seas, and freezing temperatures.

With bungee cords for a cap shroud and his sails flown upside down, I think this is a hugely academic (or fantastic) idea. Flying Dutchman worthy.

Absurd really.

BUT, should his enablers stump up for the 1) Right boat 2) Right maintenance program 3)plenty of equipment and food. 4) a prayer or three.

Maybe he could do it, but we are talking much MUCH more money.

[quote name="Trickypig" should his enablers stump up for the 1) Right boat 2) Right maintenance program 3)plenty of equipment and food. 4) a prayer or three.

Maybe he could do it, but we are talking much MUCH more money.

..,not. a. chance.

....Abby Blunderland got as far as she did because she would follow directions of her handlers. Rimass is actually -more- useless than Abby by a long shot,,,and won't even follow simple directions.

As a sort of preemptive strike the South Georgians could refuse to tow him in.

What a load of borax the previous few posts were - Rimarse is in the Pacific, Last time I looked South Georgia was (and still is ) in the South Atlantic. There is not a snowball's chance in hell of him ever traversing between the two.

What a load of borax the previous few posts were - Rimarse is in the Pacific, Last time I looked South Georgia was (and still is ) in the South Atlantic. There is not a snowball's chance in hell of him ever traversing between the two.

I dunno, Tristan Jones made it from one to the other (linky linky) without going thru either the Panama Canal (which cost money) or around Cape Horn (which requires sailing skill). It's a long way up those mountains but Rimas has proven that he can be very persistent.

FB- Doug

Rimas-si-tus (noun): A disease characterized by an unnatural infatuation with all things Rimas.

Rimas-niscing (verb): The unbridled reminiscing of all things Rimas. "Remember that day he choked the chicken, OHEY!"

Pri-mas-ture (adj.): Discussions of Rimas involving any two from this list; upwind, South Georgia Island, flag, sailing, jib

Re-miss: (alt. spelling Rimas) (adj.): Negligent performance. "The sailor was Remiss/Rimas in his performance upwind, or in any wind"

Grim-ass (verb): The look of disgust on Rimas' face when someone gives him a chart or other navigational aid instead of dried food products

what am I missing?

And another important donation for the Rounding Cape Horn cause:

A chart of the Strait of Gibraltar! :D

11834693_482028331956071_654444972442953

11838598_482028395289398_581398002297848

And some emergency navigation info in case he goes a little off course again...

11754483_482028281956076_449065735253100

And "Our Hero" produces another great steely-eyed, thousand yard stare...

11838785_482033805288857_739783487270882

I crack up every time i see that tight windward jib sheet,

I'm pretty sure he has used the spinnaker sheets for the jib because they have clips and he can't tie a bowline.

11838785_482033805288857_739783487270882

On quite a few boats that will allow a slightly higher windward VMG.

In his case, it allowed him to make 90.1* to windward.

I'm pretty sure he has used the spinnaker sheets for the jib because they have clips and he can't tie a bowline.

nailed that one.

nailed that one.

That's all on another boat, driven by someone who claimed a vague clue as to sailing. Rimas is just feeling the rumblings of a 3-coiler he's going to leave in the host's toilet.

Rimas' friends appear to have given him a daily Starbucks habit, so I am unsure if he will travel across the sea again.

On the other hand, since the Balboa 24 appears to be out, now they are discussing putting him on a Pearson 33.

He still intends to depart in October. I assume the boat is already in the Bay Area awaiting Rimas' approval.

392623-75827_gameboy.jpg

If I send one of those to Rimas, tell him it is an aid to navigation, think he will pose with it for a FB selfie?

Hold onto a Nintendo, they'll start to be worth something soon.

Rimas-si-tus (noun): A disease characterized by an unnatural infatuation with all things Rimas.

Rimas-niscing (verb): The unbridled reminiscing of all things Rimas. "Remember that day he choked the chicken, OHEY!"

Pri-mas-ture (adj.): Discussions of Rimas involving any two from this list; upwind, South Georgia Island, flag, sailing, jib

Re-miss: (alt. spelling Rimas) (adj.): Negligent performance. "The sailor was Remiss/Rimas in his performance upwind, or in any wind"

Grim-ass (verb): The look of disgust on Rimas' face when someone gives him a chart or other navigational aid instead of dried food products

what am I missing?

We could use one for the soaked oats.

Then rimas would be forced to learn how to sail....what a great idea

Then rimas would be forced to learn how to sail starve to death at sea....what a great idea

Fixed.

Maybe Rimas could do it in a Maxus 22.

Oopps, sorry Rimas it is already being done, by a polish guy, BUT his route doesn't take him round Cape Horn, so still a little opening for you..

http://www.zewoceanu.pl/About-our-projects

Recidivist / Rick, if you are reading this, he will be in Darwin soon and could use some local knowledge, and a dinghy.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Sailing/General/Solo-around-the-globe-on-22th-yacht/

mooch1_zpslujvz4gh.jpg

No Breton Shert? :(

But, - a "Grand Mooch" - story of his life.

mooch
muːtʃ/
verb
informal
verb: mooch; 3rd person present: mooches; past tense: mooched; past participle: mooched; gerund or present participle: mooching
  1. 1.
    British
    loiter in a bored or listless manner.
    "he just mooched about his bedsit"
  2. 2.
    North American
    ask for or obtain (something) without paying for it.
    "a bunch of your friends will show up, mooching food"
noun
noun: mooch; plural noun: mooches
  1. 1.
    British
    an instance of loitering in a bored or listless manner.
  2. 2.
    North American
    a beggar or scrounger.

Meanwhile, over on FB, "Our Hero" continues the Starbuck's Grande Mooch World Tour...

And he doesn't even know what month it is...

July. 8. 2015. Starbucks coffee shop in Washington state. The expedition sailing solo around the world will be continue, when I get a boat.

11825073_484779021681002_912749597428301

Showing off his latest gift:

11220473_484779045014333_284159473410123

With a hilarious comment by our "Favourite Saffer and Trash-Talking Circumnavigating-Challenger" Manie Botha:

Manie HJ Botha :rolleyes: will somebody please tell him we don't wear Robert Plant Pants anymore :rolleyes:

11836769_727843844008665_854611821233717

Meanwhile, over on FB, "Our Hero" continues the Starbuck's Grande Mooch World Tour...

And he doesn't even know what month it is..

Rimas Meleshyus added 2 new photos.

1 hr ·

July. 8. 2015. Starbucks coffee shop in Washington state. The expedition sailing solo around the world will be continue, when I get a boat.

11825073_484779021681002_912749597428301

Showing off his latest gift:

11220473_484779045014333_284159473410123

With a hilarious comment by our "Favourite Saffer and Trash-Talking Circumnavigating-Challenger" Manie Botha:

Manie HJ Botha :rolleyes: will somebody please tell him we don't wear Robert Plant Pants anymore :rolleyes:

11836769_727843844008665_854611821233717

Thats a lovely purse someone donated.

Plus I think he's attempting to get a sniff of that giant butt over his shoulder.

What is going on?/ What purse, what butt? Were the pix censored?

The mass in black under the white with red stripes top

Plus I think he's attempting to get a sniff of that giant butt over his shoulder.

The mass ass!

Ed note: Mr Floyd, your comment above is a good example of why I have you on ignore: You can't keep up.

weird, just logged back on and all the pix are there.....strange....Now I see

The mass ass!

Ed note: Mr Floyd, your comment above is a good example of why I have you on ignore: You can't keep up.

Sir, for some reason when i checked this thread none of those pix were there but this time when i logged in they showed up. I'd thought maybe they had been censored. Maybe poor connection or something and they couldn't load

kk_zpsvz8ri7cp.jpg

kjh2_zpsfyxqdni6.jpg

Wow, what an ass clown.

Ass, meet clown... 11825073_484779021681002_912749597428301

wonder whose taking these pictures?

i wonder what the average person thinks coming across this moron . i assume they think early stages of dementia .

Alright I've had enough. How can we sit back in judgment on this guy when I'll bet there are none among us that have drifted halfway across the pacific ocean, used a mahi mahi for a sail, lost two auxiliary motors overboard, or had to be rescued or towed so many times in as short a period time as Captain Rimas? If there is, speak up......................

'

And if all that doesn't set some kind of a world record then nothing does.........And I didn't even mention his impeccable nautical wardrobe, that's gotta be worth something. You must admit it is very entertaining.

....interesting to note that Rimass has forgone the '1000 mile stare' for a more direct gaze..,sometimes almost pleading,sometimes a hint of distain......

....who's taking the pictures? I'm thinking some equivalent of the organ grinder is at play here, dress up the monkey, make it do tricks, perhaps it'll bring in fund$,or at least be worth some amusement.

....interesting to note that Rimass has forgone the '1000 mile stare' for a more direct gaze..,sometimes almost pleading,sometimes a hint of distain......

....who's taking the pictures? I'm thinking some equivalent of the organ grinder is at play here, dress up the monkey, make it do tricks, perhaps it'll bring in fund$,or at least be worth some amusement.

was that gaze or did you mean glaze...He often appears more glazed as there is nothing in his eyes. Has anyone noticed that or is that just an effect of the camera, is there really a person behind the glaze?

was that gaze or did you mean glaze...He often appears more glazed as there is nothing in his eyes. Has anyone noticed that or is that just an effect of the camera, is there really a person behind the glaze?

...I'm more 'interested' in the current tenancy to engage the camera and in effect US!...hardly a gaze or glaze now.

...I'm more 'interested' in the current tenancy to engage the camera and in effect US!...hardly a gaze or glaze now.

Yep. He seems like a prop positioned for the camera. I'm gonna make an effort to see him and attempt to converse if he gets to ca. Maybe I can talk him into teaching me how to sail :D

....be sure to leave your baseball bat at home.

he gets around, I have a few anchors around maybe I'll take one or two I haven't used in years to donate to the cause.

Anchored:

Our anchor’s too big for our ship,

So we’re sittin’ here tryin’ to think.

If we leave it behind we’ll be lost.

If we haul it on board, we will sink.

If we sit and keep talkin’ about it,

It will soon be too late for our trip.

It sure can be rough on a sailor

When the anchor’s too big for the ship.

-Shel Silverstein

Someone is editing the negative comments on Rimas's FB page in a peculiarly selective way.

Some negative ones are left for controversy and others that hit the mark are removed.

It's clever since the moron enablers think their take on his exploits are somehow realistic, sensible and holding sway.

What happens in two or three months when Rimas doesn't have a boat and it's too late (or not advisable) to sail out of the Pacific NW for the season?

I'm sure California will be warmer. Close to a Starbucks.

lYvuxFy.png

Meanwhile, over on FB, buried deep in a response to a critical comment to a recent post about turning his next vessel into a floating library, "Our Hero" declares the record breaking aspect of his journeys to be a thing of the past!

Rimas Meleshyus I am getting this time not San Juan 24, will be total another boat, no more records. I am just I want to sail around the world alone

Now "Our Hero" wants to sail just to tackle loneliness. He is not competing against others, just himself.

Meanwhile, over on FB, buried deep in a response to a critical comment to a recent post about turning his next vessel into a floating library, "Our Hero" declares the record breaking aspect of his journeys to be a thing of the past!

......a VERY good sign.

...or has he decided that humility will bring in more boat bux$

Of course the question remains can you sail for records, can you sail for 'alone',,,,if you can't even frikken sail!?