The Zombie Fleet

36 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Be aware of the hungry Weber monster!  Its been spotted stalking the shores attacking anything in its path.

- Stumbling

They should have called 911.   The police would have given it a good grilling.

• Like 5
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m fine! I have invitations to family homes if it get too cold. Waterfront homes… I choose to live within the confines and freedom I have as a result of my path in life. It isn’t a bad life until it

This zombie has been in our marina for quite a few years, and has always caught my attention: So I bought her, and we're starting to clean her up and bring her back to life! She'

Took this pic in Norfolk in 1973 I think (don't laugh - I developed it in the school darkroom) It was this boat She set the transatlantic monohull record (12 days 4 hours) in 190

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

That link takes you to the top of this page...

Burning portable toilets. Just as bad. Freudian link perhaps?

5 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Nope, still just looks like just four shit boxes on fire.  No knots involved.

- Stumbling

Proof it’s not a good idea to light up in one of those.

9 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Nope, still just looks like just four shit boxes on fire.  No knots involved.

- Stumbling

This photo gives birth to a new sailing pejorative-  "Goes to windward like a port-o-john."

• Like 2
On 4/21/2019 at 6:29 PM, robtoujours said:

Forget the zombie fleet, how about the ghost fleet?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/17/asia/japan-north-korea-ghost-ship-intl/index.html

171220205833-north-korea-ghost-ships-wat

I think I fixed the link so it points where it was supposed to.  The linked story isn't funny at all.

4 minutes ago, Salazar said:

I think I fixed the link so it points where it was supposed to.  The linked story isn't funny at all.

That story belongs in PA where Trumps opinion of KJU can be added in.

• Like 1
On 4/23/2019 at 9:50 AM, SloopJonB said:

That story belongs in PA where Trumps opinion of KJU can be added in.

Fine people on both sides. My ass

On 4/17/2019 at 5:41 PM, Importunate Tom said:

57446465_10213954138512851_7063863532692

Looks kind of like someone actually tried that "buff right out" thing on a somewhat smaller injury.

Not sure if it qualifies as Zombies have to be costing someone money. I'm going with the "it's not done costing someone money" loophole.

Actually brilliant!

Cut it up and burn in a controlled fashion.  No beach mess.

Genius!

Not so sure about the atmosphere though...  Perhaps best to be sent to Rhode Island with that recycling program in the other thread.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, EvaOdland said:

Saw this at the yard the other day...thought of this thread...this looked like a stout boat once upon a time...

there are quite a few zombies in the yards at MKE...this yard has quite a number of them...

IMG_20190504_130319.jpg

Some caulking and bungee cords and...oh wait, wrong thread.

One potential zombie in that CSY 37. They are excellent long term cruising boats with big water tanks and stout hulls. But with the mast on deck and then engine doubtful it may be uneconomical to make ready to cruise. 

One definite zombie with multiple dinghies and note the TV aerial.

Both were spotted in Marin Martinique. 

4-IMG_0265.JPG

3-IMG_0263.JPG

20 hours ago, toecutter said:

This is more of a "how the heck is that thing still floating?". I doubt it's cost it's owner much money for quite some time.

20190516_114314.thumb.jpg.790fcaf5d6865eab1d2f876b60b30a76.jpg

I like the Hot Rod type porch

This zombie has been in our marina for quite a few years, and has always caught my attention:

IMG_8222.thumb.JPG.061866989adf8df2d3a98bb41187b2d3.JPG

So I bought her, and we're starting to clean her up and bring her back to life!

IMG_9267.thumb.JPG.45c36b1858a036cee3247892d95999c5.JPGIMG_9298.thumb.JPG.49cb31011639ece1e01edbc877eedef4.JPG

She's cleaning up really nice, and she sails like a dream!

IMG_0628.thumb.JPG.6a86b1c86ae9758f1b4fc0d6562f15f4.JPG

I'll start another thread with more details, but she's a 1968 Gulf Island 29.

• Like 7

Cool! 

I had hopes for the zombie next to me last summer, when the tarps came off.  But as far as I could see, they just sat in the cockpit and fished carp for a couple of days.  

I've got about two weeks of work probably to get mine back in the water. I may have to turn off the office phone! Before the boat becomes a dried-out zombie behind the barn.  Also need to get the truck back from the transmission shop before that can go down.  

22 hours ago, toecutter said:

This is more of a "how the heck is that thing still floating?". I doubt it's cost it's owner much money for quite some time.

20190516_114314.thumb.jpg.790fcaf5d6865eab1d2f876b60b30a76.jpg

This is a serious candidate for the "Junk on the trunk" thread IMHO.

19 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Oh I don't know, avoiding a lot of work has gone into making that.

FIFY

Definitely looks like a low maintenance boat, though. Must be that new miracle plastic........

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Trovão said:

This is a serious candidate for the "Junk on the trunk" thread IMHO.

That thing hit the trifecta.

Uglyboat

Junk on the trunk

Zombie

• Like 3
16 hours ago, toddster said:

I've got about two weeks of work probably to get mine back in the water. I may have to turn off the office phone! Before the boat becomes a dried-out zombie behind the barn.

Frightening how quickly one's own boat can start to zombie-fy without constant TLC.  Around here this time of year, 3 weeks without washing can turn a clean vessel into a spiderweb-wrapped mess, covered with bug spots and bird poop. Last time I installed an owl decoy, it immediately was covered in birdshit.  

This sumbich went zombie on me last May. I stripped the starboard side while the May pollen was keeping me away from the big boat Awlwood job. 

My wife noticed I was home and made me re-side our 4 story house instead of continuing the restoration. Summer got hot as balls and I launched the big boat, which is a reformed zombie. 

I’ll try to spend a couple of weeks on this one when the wife isn’t looking...

9F3CDB0F-3F75-4A51-B8C3-D560260B6D26.jpeg

3D03FC12-A40B-4B97-9238-D29324D7D459.jpeg

A7906307-C96D-4FA6-AD56-A6ED13841846.jpeg

• Like 2

I remember you showing us that a while back. Had a good story as well. Like all of your boats. 

Tried my best to avoid taking pictures and showing this boat, but today, the temptation was just too great.  There are people who would die for a boat this “salty.”  Me no, but in decent condition, there are folks drooling over such a vessel.  However, this poor craft is a miracle to still be floating.  I guess that is owed to....

The marvels of GRP production

D674A72E-3BC8-43A1-8DC1-AA45BF0D1C5D.jpeg

On 5/23/2019 at 3:29 PM, mcsailor0303 said:

So I bought her, and we're starting to clean her up and bring her back to life!

On 5/24/2019 at 10:28 AM, Sail4beer said:

This sumbich went zombie on me last May.

I’ll try to spend a couple of weeks on this one when the wife isn’t looking...

Uh oh. This thread seems to be attracting people with the dangerous Zombierestoritus strain of Polynavicular Morbus and might have to be closed as a public health hazard.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Blitz said:

The one on the right looks like it's loosing the battle.  Appears to be a bit bow down.

It's trying to hide from the photographer, out of a realistic sense of shame in the company it keeps and how far it has fallen.

Probably thinking "It wasn't supposed to end like this. I hope my parents don't see this picture."

• Like 2

Cornflower was #3 of 6 Crosby Curlews built in the 1960’s. 

1” Mahogany over steam bent white oak frames with nibbed teak decks, center board and inboard diesel. 

I was working on it when our house needed more. I left it sit and now it’s time to get it back to showroom condition. It isn’t the fastest, but it is pretty and sails in 24”. When you need a boost, fire up the diesel.

B5439369-833D-4C28-83AA-1A318C76710E.jpeg

• Like 1

This former half zombie took 5 1/2 years and thousands of hours and dollars in materials and storage costs.

Cornflower will be a walk in the park. 

A beautiful, short walk.

090EE557-E2A6-4DDD-ABD6-1ABAFF276319.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

20190616-142948.jpg

This is a quite good looking aluminium centre-cockpit just off the beach near here. Looks like it would be/had been a really nice cruiser at one point but I'm guessing she'll not see the water unless a tsunami hits.

Hey, looks like they stuck the landing!   We will have to confer with the judges on the points applied to next round's relaunching....

- Stumbling

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Have a large number of zombies at one yard here

7E68B3A7-0AFF-4095-AFB0-A61BF9189C17.jpeg

Those are a couple of pretty Zombies. Do you know anything about them?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

1906079B-A144-40AA-A25C-CFFCBCED78D6.jpeg

6C5B4411-2041-4542-B92C-FFD9164B87A4.jpeg

I am impressed with the cinderblock enhanced weather/creature sealing in the second picture.    It would take a coordinated team of trash pandas to get in that boat!

- Stumbling

The forlorn green ketch with raked masts appears to still have hope. The owner of the camper and grill is working on her?  The modern furling jib looks a little odd on it...

Those pics are an object lesson in the "ease" of maintaining a wooden boat.

They are no more difficult to maintain that an equivalent glass boat - ask anyone who owns one.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

1906079B-A144-40AA-A25C-CFFCBCED78D6.jpeg

6C5B4411-2041-4542-B92C-FFD9164B87A4.jpeg

@Sail4beer Step away from the Zombies S4B

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

The one in the foreground is a Lawley Yard built Hereshoff S Boat. They wouldn’t sell it a few years back so I got my cutter instead. 

Get in touch with IYRS. Great funds raising party tonight.

Not a Zombie.

20190706_212814_resized.jpg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I understand the cinderblocks keep the plywood down, but why not just use some big, rusty nails while you’re at it. 

7DCD9E6E-68BA-48BF-8505-94E7A0DE05D3.jpeg

D5B15F44-63EB-41C1-8C87-443CC643F259.jpeg

99DE5A8A-D816-49A5-BD2F-0D02487B1368.jpeg

The zombie appreciation society could commission a study on the energy/effort output differential between nailing down plywood over hatches vs carrying a cinderblock up a ladder to hold it down with mass.

There could be secondary considerations, such as not wanting to ruin the fine woodwork of the hatch/hole framework of said zombie!

Thats is one hell of a concentration of zombies in one place.    Are they trying to jumpstart the Zombie Apocalypse™?

- Stumbling

• Like 1

Indeed it is. There were more, many more there- mostly Fiberglass losers.

I saw the unfinished Westsail28 that I had wanted to buy 20 years ago when I had little money and didn’t know about how poorly the Westsail performed.

10 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Thats is one hell of a concentration of zombies in one place.    Are they trying to jumpstart the Zombie Apocalypse™?

- Stumbling

Heard that "a rising tide lifts all boats" and are just getting prepared. 

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Indeed it is. There were more, many more there- mostly Fiberglass losers.

I saw the unfinished Westsail28 that I had wanted to buy 20 years ago when I had little money and didn’t know about how poorly the Westsail performed.

Not surprising, given how fiberglass is not so biodegradable.   Now wooden boats, the problem is they are too biodegradable!

-Stumbling

• Like 1

Zombie Classic Boats is a funny Facebook group, though it has little to do with anything I'd call a classic. Lots of zombie trainwrecks.

And the occasional truckwreck.

217984_407196572673866_304070773_n.jpg?_

Why does a railing on a dock have a steering wheel and what appears to be a compass? To keep someone too drunk to know the difference from operating an actual boat maybe?

3 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

Zombie Classic Boats is a funny Facebook group, though it has little to do with anything I'd call a classic. Lots of zombie trainwrecks.

And the occasional truckwreck.

217984_407196572673866_304070773_n.jpg?_

Why does a railing on a dock have a steering wheel and what appears to be a compass? To keep someone too drunk to know the difference from operating an actual boat maybe?

That was the remote control for the truck...

- Stumbling

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

That's wreckage, not zombies.

A true zombie has to create the illusion of possible resurrection.

What would one call a flock of Zombies?

8 minutes ago, woahboy said:

What would one call a flock of Zombies?

See reference:  https://bookpolygamist.wordpress.com/2014/06/09/collective-nounitude-zombies/

Although "horde" is the most common, possibly "shamble" would be most appropriate for our purposes.  Although perhaps we need something more... moist.

"Hoard" might also work...  A "decrepitude" of zombies?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, toddster said:

See reference:  https://bookpolygamist.wordpress.com/2014/06/09/collective-nounitude-zombies/

Although "horde" is the most common, possibly "shamble" would be most appropriate for our purposes.  Although perhaps we need something more... moist.

"Hoard" might also work...

I vote for shamble. 

38 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

An Apocalypse of course.

Ahhh, another one. 

48 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

A Murder of Zombies? Works for Crows...

You should write a book. Great stories.

2 minutes ago, woahboy said:

You should write a book. Great stories.

Thanks Woah.

In fact, I am writing a book. I just need to gather up all the sea stories I've posted here and collate them down into a book. I just bounce my musings off of you guys here. I've gotten a  lot of positive response here and have had offerers from members wanting to refer me to ghost writers and I may just do that someday. The encouragement I have gotten from members like you just did helps in this quest.

Keep your eyes peeled!

Rasp

• Like 3
4 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Party of Zombies?   Put them at table 2!

- Stumbling

Mr. Zombie to the white phone please. Mr. Zombie?

5 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

robzombiebanner.jpg

Rob? No, Bob!

- Stumbling

I see what you did there.

my recently purchased boat was almost on its way to the zombie fleet before i rescued it.

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-05 at 15.14.48.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Trovão said:

my recently purchased boat was almost on its way to the zombie fleet before i rescued it.

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-05 at 15.14.48.jpeg

It's nice that you brought her back to life 

2 minutes ago, woahboy said:

It's nice that you brought her back to life 

thanks. she wasn't really in zombie condition yet (this would take a couple more of years of abandonment), but there's still a decent amount of things to fix to bring her to the condition she deserves to be.

• Like 2
On 7/6/2019 at 4:54 PM, Israel Hands said:

The forlorn green ketch with raked masts appears to still have hope. The owner of the camper and grill is working on her?  The modern furling jib looks a little odd on it...

I have to go back and ask what that one is. I thought it was a Hereshoff Medowlark.

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I have to go back and ask what that one is. I thought it was a Hereshoff Medowlark.

Neat design.   There was one painted green that would show up in Tampa in the winter and get hauled and spiffed up for the snow bird season,  long long ago.

One in sailboatlistings.com, different color:

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/81054

main.jpg

- Stumbling

Zombie Thunderbird tries to take it's own life. https://www.macmillandictionary.com/thesaurus-category/british/general-words-for-groups-of-people

"Due to extreme low tides lately, my boat sank.
I do not think that it is damaged.
I will raise it soon and take it to the dump if nobody wants it, parts or whole.
Bare inside, not sure of the sail condition. "

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Ajax said:

According to "The Walking Dead" it's a herd of zombies.

Since we're talking about boats would a "flotilla" fit the bill?

2 hours ago, viktor said:

I would think they would have to float.

Ahhhh, good point.