Jump to content

The Zombie Fleet


Recommended Posts

Olson 911 and Zombie should never be in the same sentence. That picture makes me sad. Although with the pandemic, ours was looking pretty grungy when I finally got back out to clean it, no ferns though.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This zombie has been in our marina for quite a few years, and has always caught my attention: So I bought her, and we're starting to clean her up and bring her back to life! She'

Took this pic in Norfolk in 1973 I think (don't laugh - I developed it in the school darkroom) It was this boat She set the transatlantic monohull record (12 days 4 hours) in 190

This could have been prevented if they'd painted the topsides, deck, and cockpit with anti-foul FB- Doug

Posted Images

On 6/11/2020 at 10:11 PM, SloopJonB said:

Around here that can happen quickly - well before a boat achieves true zombie status.

I've seen moss growing on teak toe rails - that takes some serious neglect.

SJB is right. In our area, you can't avoid it being green! Cold enough that most marinas/clubs turn of the dock water for the first winter snap. Often not on until late Feb to early March. There is a "sleep boat" regulation in our club that uses it or lose it. Where commercial marinas don't give a ratzass as long the moorage is paid. That said some people are away for work or sick. Or the husband dies and has a hard time letting go and the boat suffers because of it. At least that Olson has a lot of heart and can be brought back again.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

SJB is right. In our area, you can't avoid it being green! Cold enough that most marinas/clubs turn of the dock water for the first winter snap. Often not on until late Feb to early March. There is a "sleep boat" regulation in our club that uses it or lose it. Where commercial marinas don't give a ratzass as long the moorage is paid. That said some people are away for work or sick. Or the husband dies and has a hard time letting go and the boat suffers because of it. At least that Olson has a lot of heart and can be brought back again.  

ours has similar, although not quite as bad grunge lines in the same places in the spring if we stay in the water all winter. All the deck runoff runs down the slotted toe rail and runs down the quarter right there where it has accumulated on that one. Same with the cockpit drains on the stern, they get dirty pretty quick. That fern though... 

That is probably one of the last hulls that Ericson built. They switched to the large Lewmar ports on the cabin house towards the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

SJB is right. In our area, you can't avoid it being green! Cold enough that most marinas/clubs turn of the dock water for the first winter snap. Often not on until late Feb to early March. There is a "sleep boat" regulation in our club that uses it or lose it. Where commercial marinas don't give a ratzass as long the moorage is paid. That said some people are away for work or sick. Or the husband dies and has a hard time letting go and the boat suffers because of it. At least that Olson has a lot of heart and can be brought back again.  

Maxx - how does Kanata get past that use it or lose it?

It's been in that same berth for decades and I've never seen it move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Maxx - how does Kanata get past that use it or lose it?

It's been in that same berth for decades and I've never seen it move.

SJB - It's in the regulations of the club to use the boat a certain amount of time ( I don't have my yearbook right in front of me), like 4 times of year or more. At least two events like sailpast etc you have to be there. In the case of Kanata one of the sons that lives in California does come up once and a while as I've seen him on the boat/docks a few times where I almost live there. Some give lips service to the regulations and do the minimum that is allowed but the board has changed the rules three times I think to try to avoid people doing exactly that. But it's a club but a commercial venture. I have found people are getting better and better at doing that. Also, the cost of dues, moorage etc has gone up quite a bit over the past 10 years so there's that too. Frankly, there will be more moorage opening as the boomers are aging and can't do it anymore and not being stupid about it. You know that Sceptre 41 the end of C Dock? It's for sale and the guy has had it from build but he realized his back & knees are gone and a hard time getting on & off the boat so he's a smart guy and sell while he can still maintain it. A wonderful boat and it's actually a little sad to see it go I'm sure.     

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 7/15/2020 at 10:19 AM, Windward said:

107609523_3126218567433169_1983079460286

So at what point does a bilge pump become a sump pump?

Sump pump? They don't put sump pumps in outhouses. Just switch boats when it's full.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 1:19 PM, Windward said:

107609523_3126218567433169_1983079460286

So at what point does a bilge pump become a sump pump?

That is just missuse of a boat in a building. Everyone knows the boat serves as the roof.

3X5A4190.JPG

3X5A5850.JPGboat_house_calgary_beach_te.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

A mile from my dock south of Wiscasset, ME. 66' wooden boat sunk two years ago beside the mooring field and the guy couldn't afford to have it removed. Big dispute with the town, he got fined, boat is still there.

1.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

That boat is long gone. It was discussed here some time back.

It was a Viking 33 named Valkyr - I checked it out a couple of boats back but it was too needy - even for me.

Poor thing - it would have fared better if I had purchased it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 10thTonner said:

That’s quite The Cool! Where is it? 

Calgary Bay on the Isle of Mull, Argyll and Bute, Scotland. (apparently where Calgary Canada gets its name - from kald and gart Norwegian cold and garden...Alberta in February you can leave out the garden part)

boat_house_calgary_beach_te.jpg

Burravoe Pier on Yell in the Shetlands (most recent google street view looks like it might be gone)

7b36f-339.jpg?resize=400,300

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KC375 said:

Burravoe Pier on Yell in the Shetlands (most recent google street view looks like it might be gone)

7b36f-339.jpg?resize=400,300

 

 

Probably off cruising.

In the Southern Hemisphere, where it would be the right way up.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 8:44 AM, SloopJonB said:

That boat is long gone. It was discussed here some time back.

It was a Viking 33 named Valkyr - I checked it out a couple of boats back but it was too needy - even for me.

Poor thing - it would have fared better if I had purchased it.

Well, I’m bringing it back, because it’s a zombie and its spirit has come back.  My daughter and I had a fun time poking around the inside haunted house.  And I actually salvaged some very nice rigging bits from it.  Very new stuff.  It was hop skip and jump from me, so why not...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Well, I’m bringing it back, because it’s a zombie and its spirit has come back.  My daughter and I had a fun time poking around the inside haunted house.  And I actually salvaged some very nice rigging bits from it.  Very new stuff.  It was hop skip and jump from me, so why not...

Wait-  You mean you salvaged that boat that was on the rocks with the Atomic-4 engine in it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Wait-  You mean you salvaged that boat that was on the rocks with the Atomic-4 engine in it?

I was trying’ to pry out the Atomic Bomb for you but it was thoroughly locked in place with at least 3-4” of absolutely solid rust all the way around it :-) :-). (Even if the Bomb had exploded the rust would’ve dampened the blast.)

Classic story, from various sources - as soon as it went on the rocks, the guy said it wasn’t his, you got the wrong guy, I just sold it to someone...

I know oh someone, one of the local scallywags who is rebuilding an old boat, who removed the stanchions!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I was trying’ to pry out the Atomic Bomb for you but it was thoroughly locked in place with at least 3-4” of absolutely solid rust all the way around it :-) :-). (Even if the Bomb had exploded the rust would’ve dampened the blast.)

Classic story, from various sources - as soon as it went on the rocks, the guy said it wasn’t his, you got the wrong guy, I just sold it to someone...

I know oh someone, one of the local scallywags who is rebuilding an old boat, who removed the stanchions!

 

Oh, I didn't want the engine. I'm in a diesel boat now. I just thought it was interesting that someone on the forum actually salvaged the boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Oh, I didn't want the engine. I'm in a diesel boat now. I just thought it was interesting that someone on the forum actually salvaged the boat.

We tried to practice “no trace” camping:  “Take only photographs; leave only footprints.” :-)

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 11:14 AM, Ishmael said:

Sump pump? They don't put sump pumps in outhouses. Just switch boats when it's full.

I think this belongs in the Ugly Dodger Collection, and if bigger is uglier, this one wins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This gem is a couple of berths down from me. The owner is paying almost $6,000 P.A. to keep it there.

As you can imagine, nobody has ever been seen near it.

 

DSCN0573.JPG

DSCN0572.JPG

DSCN0574.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2020 at 7:21 PM, SloopJonB said:

This gem is a couple of berths down from me. The owner is paying almost $6,000 P.A. to keep it there.

As you can imagine, nobody has ever been seen near it.

 

DSCN0573.JPG

DSCN0572.JPG

DSCN0574.JPG

 

I wish I had $6k to piss away like that. I'm sure I could find better uses for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey now... I'm 85% done with my interior refit.   It's going to look awesome in my mind!

I am just waiting for a BlackFriday sale at Home Depot to get the last of the supplies I need.

I've been busy

It's not my fault

My car broke

Girlfriend issues

Kids

Taxes

Some other stuff

And who the heck does Jon whatzisbreath think he is posting snaps of my boat here!  Outrageous.   You should see how he ties up his boat to the bullrails.  Ha!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ishmael said:

No.

Flying rodents?

Flying-bat.jpg

We found this little guy (Eastern Red) on out front walk the other day. He was there for a couple of days. We carefully moved him to the top of a shrub, and the next day he was gone. Flew away I hope.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_578e.thumb.jpg.5ed9c81d18b5348c7d1560f4dae0ce0a.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, SloopJonB said:

Are they dredging those up in that big anchorage off Resthaven?

As far as I know, there are no current sinkers in Tsehum Harbour. Most of them seem to just blow ashore and get quietly removed. There is a local guy with a barge who parks the wrecks against pilings outside Westport Marina until he gets a chance to dispose of them.

10 from Cadboro Bay in front of the Royal Victoria YC. 15 from other places around Victoria, although apparently they are having trouble finding some known wrecks. I have seen a mast lately sticking out of the water in Oak Bay, no idea if that one is going to go away.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

I'm sure a little elbow grease will bring her shipshape in no time.

May be an image of outdoors

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I'm sure a little elbow grease will bring her shipshape in no time.

May be an image of outdoors

Looks like an Oyster 36.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

I met up with two old Navy friends, one of whom lives in Elizabeth City, N.C., and we sailing out on his 30 footer. We walked by this Columbia on the way to his boat. In the second photo, you can see the mast of another boat, sunk in its slip.

479F6527-E7D5-4C13-B574-57E169165FF9_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f4b929eae930bf8a2396d3359bd36e1d.jpeg

3FA6E164-804C-48B2-8FA9-8F62F55AC7E6_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6689af9e811fc4143ee1bdd6f2d5e23d.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is quite a contender.   I haven't seen that much greenery on a marina boat since my last dock walk at Cathlamet. Apparently the cockpit still drains somehow...

Closer to home, there has actually been activity around my neighboring zombie.  The tarps have been rearranged - not in any effective way of course.  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had a recent photo of the anchorage at Keehi Small Boat Harbor here in Honolulu.  It looks like a combo of Mad Max, Waterworld, hillbilly meth lab, and hobo village, with the occasional mast from a sunken boat sticking up here and there.  Every few years the state rotates in a new harbor master who tries to clean things up, but that never lasts long.  The sad truth is that just about anything that floats can get to Hawaii from the West Coast, but there’s nowhere to go from here except first to Keehi and then to the bottom of the ocean.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2021 at 4:09 PM, toddster said:

That is quite a contender.   I haven't seen that much greenery on a marina boat since my last dock walk at Cathlamet. Apparently the cockpit still drains somehow...

Several years ago, there was a boat in our marina with some geese living in the cockpit. Very territorial.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

So I get to be the first to say

The front fell off.  Must have hit a wave with a landshark.

I teed it up for ya.  :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, d'ranger said:

So I get to be the first to say

The front fell off.  Must have hit a wave with a landshark.

No cardboard, no cardboard derivatives

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our boat's been stuck in Trinidad with borders closed since 2019.  Just got some photos from the yard - the decks look like a  zombie contender, but they were pleasantly surprised at the interior.  Guess we stored it right.  Heading back there in a month or so, and hopefully a bit of pressure-washer action will get us out of contention for addition to this thread.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hdra said:

Our boat's been stuck in Trinidad with borders closed since 2019.  Just got some photos from the yard - the decks look like a  zombie contender, but they were pleasantly surprised at the interior.  Guess we stored it right.  Heading back there in a month or so, and hopefully a bit of pressure-washer action will get us out of contention for addition to this thread.

Pics first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

Don’t underestimate the Voodoo of a good pressure washer! 
 

(Pic of my old Laser during its dezombiefication) 

 

ECCFEA8E-9C29-4225-B273-56698740283B.jpeg

That’s why they make 30 second outdoor cleaning concentrate so you don’t have to bust your ass like that:rolleyes:

image.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our dry storage agreements have been changed I. The bylaws to state that boats in dry slips for the summer have to be used and not just stored and that no tarps shall be allowed as boat covers for the winter. My Fareast28R has been there 2 years without use so it has to go(I sail another boat I dry store there) and apparently this Ensign as well. Slob let the tarp rot off for the 3rd year of non use and this pic was before a few more big storms came through. Slob had to hand pump it(stupid knows no limits) last week and isn’t allowed to keep it here for winter storage.:o

My zombie is in much better condition and up for sale to some lucky new sailor so it doesn’t end up a real zombie.

75B55B49-8D9A-4D08-8D1A-F47978E53326.jpeg

83BD887D-26D2-47F2-BC49-B7BEC39527F4.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites