Fellow Anarchii,

I am interested in finding out what type of helmets were used on the big boats during the races. I am wondering what sort of design and testing parameters were used if they were specifically designed as part of the sailors gear package or if they were off the shelf helmets. I ran some basic searches on the forums here but couldn't come up with anything. I am sure some of you are in the know and might be able to help me find out more about them.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Almost all the teams when to rated ski racing helmets. Kayak helmets are not designed for high speed impact. They also went to full coverage helmets (ear covers etc).

Rated ski helmets are probably the highest rated around without going to motorcycle fullface that are heavy and not suited for water.

Many of the helmets were POC helmets. I think LR were Uvex or similar. OR seemed a bit more casual about the helmets with loose chin straps etc.

Thanks, everybody, for the info. I am going to try to look further into it based off of this info. I had a sailing friend inquire about the safety head gear and i was ashamed to say i didn't know much more then him.

pretty sure Emirates used ProTec helmets based on the Ace of Spades logo

I believe the RedBull ski teams helmets are made by Giro, but nothing seems to match the ones used by Oracle

Archived