in 16 years of teaching I never....

dacapo

thought I would have my life threatened to the point where I got a bit nervous leaving the building.

So, If someone pops a cap in my ass on Monday...it;'s been great knowing you all.....and please by my band's cd. I want to win a posthumous Grammy ;-)

thought I would have my life threatened to the point where I got a bit nervous leaving the building.

So, If someone pops a cap in my ass on Monday...it;'s been great knowing you all.....and please by my band's cd. I want to win a posthumous Grammy ;-)

Read Sun Tzu's 'Art of War', Shambala press, and The Book of 5 Rings this weekend.

One of those things that got me out of teaching. In my case, I figured out their 'code of violence' and avoided it's theaters. But I did quit.

-perfect information is perfect harmony.

-the ultimate warrior NEVER fights.

-running away as fast as you can is a noble endeavor.

-asking for help is not weakness.

-walk softly and carry a big stick.

By definition (and the fact you are in a band means) you are smarter than these assholes...

Uh, report it to the cops and your apparently weak and worthless school administration. Document, document, document any event with the d-bag and contact your teacher's union attorney.

Samuel Jackson already made the movie 187. So don't get dead my friend...

WTF is going on in schools now??? Rather than worrying about who they will play with at recess, the kids now have to go through lock-down drills. If you were allowed to use a ruler to whack the knuckles of a kid who was screwing around, maybe it wouldn't be so bad...

WTF is going on in schools now??? Rather than worrying about who they will play with at recess, the kids now have to go through lock-down drills. If you were allowed to use a ruler to whack the knuckles of a kid who was screwing around, maybe it wouldn't be so bad...

I've been saying for years, bring back the g-damn paddle.....

Like it worked so well on you. :rolleyes:B)

Like it worked so well on you. :rolleyes:B)

Well truth be told, I did make about a dozen customized ones for all of the different shop teachers at my high school. And fwiw, Philly mahog hurts a helluva lot less than hickory does....

Even worse when they're tapered down to 3/8" at the tip. Ouch. But my older surf bud clued me in on a neat trick early on. If you knew you were getting a swat the next time you went to that class------be sure to wear a short john wetsuit under your clothes......

Let me guess----you gave some scum-sucking Gnu Yawk attorney's kid a D on his moral apptitude test?....

As opposed to the MS13 members in your glorious state's school system? :P

Let me guess----you gave some scum-sucking Gnu Yawk attorney's kid a D on his moral apptitude test?....

Uhm.....no. The MS'ers run the sheriff's department and the Twin Tower jails. And the Mexican Cartel Boys run most of our heavily Latino cities. Our Hell-A school teachers on the other hand are mostly just your typical unionized La Raza types that remind their students daily how bad The White Man is and how much better Kalifornia will be once we are finally all ousted and Mexico reclaims this state. Then it'll be just as unicornly nirvanic as it is in their homeland. Just like it is in Tijuana, Mexico City and Ciudad Juarez.....

Uhm.....no. The MS'ers run the sheriff's department and the Twin Tower jails. And the Mexican Cartel Boys run most of our heavily Latino cities. Our Hell-A school teachers on the other hand are mostly just your typical unionized La Raza types that remind their students daily how bad The White Man is and how much better Kalifornia will be once we are finally all ousted and Mexico reclaims this state. Then it'll be just as unicornly nirvanic as it is in their homeland. Just like it is in Tijuana, Mexico City and Ciudad Juarez.....

So you are saying that the only thing standing in their way is pb&j sammies?

Kriekhaus (my math teacher) used bamboo switches. Evil sadistic joy he took in that. Corporal punishment used extensively.

Music teacher used rulers, and near insanity to make his point. Best was a threat to 'drive a rusty nail through your left testicle'

Salad days

Even worse when they're tapered down to 3/8" at the tip. Ouch. But my older surf bud clued me in on a neat trick early on. If you knew you were getting a swat the next time you went to that class------be sure to wear a short john wetsuit under your clothes......

Right or wrong, I got a cricket paddle/bat called Rosco. You knew the rules, homework was due the next class or you got a swat. Justice was swift. Teacher would ask who doesn't have their homework, line up. Bent over a desk and he would take a running start down the aisle and swing a modified golf swing that would lift your feet off the ground burned like fire and made your eyes water no matter how tough you thought you were. Then he would check the homework and woe to he who lied about doing it. Missing homework was due the next day along with that days homework.

You knew the rule and paid the penalty, a perfect justice system. It was also an all boys school.

Right or wrong, I got a cricket paddle/bat called Rosco. You knew the rules, homework was due the next class or you got a swat. Justice was swift. Teacher would ask who doesn't have their homework, line up. Bent over a desk and he would take a running start down the aisle and swing a modified golf swing that would lift your feet off the ground burned like fire and made your eyes water no matter how tough you thought you were. Then he would check the homework and woe to he who lied about doing it. Missing homework was due the next day along with that days homework.

You knew the rule and paid the penalty, a perfect justice system. It was also an all boys school.

Ever keep track of your old schoolmates? Any serial killers in that group? Ruthless dictators? Rapists or armed robbers? Kidnappers, bombers or arsonists?.......

Ever keep track of your old schoolmates? Any serial killers in that group? Ruthless dictators? Rapists or armed robbers? Kidnappers, bombers or arsonists?.......

Yeah, doctors, lawyers, engineers, you know, the usual dregs of society.

Yeah, doctors, lawyers, engineers, hedge fund managers, CEOs, Congressmen, you know, the usual dregs of society.

Fixed.

Yeah, doctors, lawyers, engineers, hedge fund managers, CEOs, Congressmen, you know, the usual dregs of society.
Fixed.

Mr. Backstay is gonna give you a big hug for that one......

What about the teachers? My coach, who also taught me how to drive, dished out licks at "The Pole" with glee for reported class room transgressions or poor grades.

He did about a decade on death row for "allegedly" murdering his GF/secretary's parents for insurance money. Here's one of the appeals.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/19791096591SW2d505_11065

Finally won on another appeal because his wife was boning his defense attorney. Former GF/secretary wouldn't testify again so he walked.

Hey decapo, who threatened? Student or parent or other?

I'm shocked at the violence in school these days. We had the recent 3 black kids who beat the fuk out of a white kid on a school bus. And on and on. The thought of threatening a teacher was as foreign a concept to us when I was in HS as vagina is to gaytor.

What has happened to our society that in the last 20 years or so - that there has been a fairly rapid rise in the acceptance of violence as part of everyday life. It seems like discipline, notions of right and wrong, empathy, morality, consequences, personal responsibility, parenting and such are gone or on a rapid decline.

WTF???

I'm shocked at the violence in school these days. We had the recent 3 black kids who beat the fuk out of a white kid on a school bus. And on and on. The thought of threatening a teacher was as foreign a concept to us when I was in HS as vagina is to gaytor.

What has happened to our society that in the last 20 years or so - that there has been a fairly rapid rise in the acceptance of violence as part of everyday life. It seems like discipline, notions of right and wrong, empathy, morality, consequences, personal responsibility, parenting and such are gone or on a rapid decline.

WTF???

well....see ya all ;-)

It was a student. first putting his fists up. when I asked named he said fuck you. When I saked people around what his name was...."I ain;t tellin" when I looked for him at dismissal, he threatened my by holding his hand up like he was holding a gun and pulled his finger...then said "you're the music teacher... have a good weekend...see ya on Monday"

If I did that as a kid, I'm pretty sure I would have:

1. Had a desk thrown at me by said teacher, and possibly choked a little on the way to the Principal's office.

2. Never seen the inside of my school again.

3. Lived (maybe) through 10 years of indentured servitude, administered by my mom.

WTF???

well....see ya all ;-)

It was a student. first putting his fists up. when I asked named he said fuck you. When I saked people around what his name was...."I ain;t tellin" when I looked for him at dismissal, he threatened my by holding his hand up like he was holding a gun and pulled his finger...then said "you're the music teacher... have a good weekend...see ya on Monday"

Holy fuck! How old? AS Austin said, I would have drug him to the principles office by the neck. Unfortunately - these little monster have all the rights and you have zero. You would have been on the street unemployed in about 37 sec.

Edit: I meant to add.... why don't you call the cops and find this kid. Surely you will recognize him. If a little kid can get in serious trouble for eating a poptart into the shape of a gun - this older kid who made an overt threat against you needs to be in handcuffs. I doubt he will be charged. But you need to make an example of him. Suspended at the least.

I WOULD NOT LET THIS GO.....

WTF???

well....see ya all ;-)

Holy fuck! How old? AS Austin said, I would have drug him to the principles office by the neck. Unfortunately - these little monster have all the rights and you have zero. You would have been on the street unemployed in about 37 sec.

Edit: I meant to add.... why don't you call the cops and find this kid. Surely you will recognize him. If a little kid can get in serious trouble for eating a poptart into the shape of a gun - this older kid who made an overt threat against you needs to be in handcuffs. I doubt he will be charged. But you need to make an example of him. Suspended at the least.

still alive ;-) haven't seen the little fucker yet. Not letting this go..........

Guest One of Five

1. Had a desk thrown at me by said teacher, and possibly choked a little on the way to the Principal's office.

3. Lived (maybe) through 10 years of indentured servitude, administered by my mom.

There's probably a zero tolerance policy for violence in his school.

Throwing a desk or any act like that by a teacher would get him/her fired.

The local school administrators are more or less political positions, they have not and will not back up the teachers.

It's a supremely thankless job. With all the PC bullshit flying around I'm stunned we still have people interested in going into the profession.

Guest One of Five

WTF???

well....see ya all ;-)

still alive ;-) haven't seen the little fucker yet. Not letting this go..........

You shouldn't EVER let it go.

Report it to the police and THEN the school Administration just to cover you.

My opinion, and I am a school board member here in VT, is to get all available powers involved asap. I know if ew had this scenario in our school we wouldn't tolerate it. I would bring all resources to bear on this one.

^^^^^^^^^

All of this and worse would have been unleashed if i'd pulled that shit, needles to say back then you wouldn't dream of it. (shit i'm starting to sound old)

WTF???

well....see ya all ;-)

You shouldn't need his name.....simply refer to him as the unconscious asswipe in the hall with the black eye and the busted jaw. Fists up is a green light in my book.

Guest One of Five

WTF???

well....see ya all ;-)

You shouldn't need his name.....simply refer to him as the unconscious asswipe in the hall with the black eye and the busted jaw. Fists up is a green light in my book.

Good luck with explaining that to the Administration with the parent's of this mutant in their offfice complaining about discrimination and violence against their dear little child.

I imagine that the kids in your music program really like your classes.

Arrange it with your administration to not show up for class for a few days. If the kids dig the tunes and you enough, they'll find out who the young necrophillic wanna be banger is just to get you back. As Peter Gabriel might say, "you still have friends".

Of course you'll have to make a deal with the sub.....

And see if the district has a program for teachers in your situation. A program that might take you a few days to take advantage of?

kid didn;t come to school today (or he cut lunch...as I checked out every lunch period looking for shithead). Admin knows, school security knows.

and Mustang...........you can have my shitty mando ;-) if things went south.....

you know, the little fucker won just by making me think about this all weekend ....he will have to deal with the consequences.

WTF???

well....see ya all ;-)

Good luck with explaining that to the Administration with the parent's of this mutant in their offfice complaining about discrimination and violence against their dear little child.

Why work in an environment where "self-defense" is a dirty word? The problem these days are as much of pussified administrators as well as it is the parents.

Back in the day, if I would have raised my fists to a teacher or administrator I probably would have caught an ass beating from the adult as well as from the old man when I got home.

When I was in 7th grade 1984 A kid in my english class heaved a book at the teacher, Mr. Oui ( pronounced OW-EE). Mr. Oui, an old marine combat vet, picked the kid up desk and all with just his hands, walked to the door and shoved/threw the entire package into the hall. No one went to admin, parents, no cops, etc.......and Mr. Oui had one hell of an attentive class the rest of the year.

Of course that did not take place in NY, Califruity, or some other place void of personal responsibility.

There's probably a zero tolerance policy for violence in his school.

Throwing a desk or any act like that by a teacher would get him/her fired.

The local school administrators are more or less political positions, they have not and will not back up the teachers.

It's a supremely thankless job. With all the PC bullshit flying around I'm stunned we still have people interested in going into the profession.

I know. And none of that ever happened to me because I knew it would if I screwed up.

We did see Tom H. get carried to Mr. Abhalter's office by his neck, and my grammar teacher carried a .38. And let everyone know it. She had been raped.

I am not a lawyer or a police officer, but it is my understanding that a common definition of assault is something like "the use or threat of use of force or violence".

That is, someone threatening assault is guilty of assault.

I urge you to take this up with the appropriate authorities.

And thank you for being a teacher.

WTF???

well....see ya all ;-)

Why work in an environment where "self-defense" is a dirty word? The problem these days are as much of pussified administrators as well as it is the parents.

Back in the day, if I would have raised my fists to a teacher or administrator I probably would have caught an ass beating from the adult as well as from the old man when I got home.

When I was in 7th grade 1984 A kid in my english class heaved a book at the teacher, Mr. Oui ( pronounced OW-EE). Mr. Oui, an old marine combat vet, picked the kid up desk and all with just his hands, walked to the door and shoved/threw the entire package into the hall. No one went to admin, parents, no cops, etc.......and Mr. Oui had one hell of an attentive class the rest of the year.

Of course that did not take place in NY, Califruity, or some other place void of personal responsibility.

^^^^^

This, there's a load of vets coming back home, maybe getting some them into the education business would help solves some these issues.

It worked for me.

This, there's a load of vets coming back home, maybe getting some them into the education business would help solves some these issues.

It worked for me.

Vets in the room, unless conventionally certified, are generally a disaster. Since they've grown up in a system that has a strong dicipline tradition and structure they generally cannot function in an enviroment where screaming and threatening won't change behavior. Our experience with "Troops To Teachers" has been exceptionally bad.

I had an English teach in HS (freshman or sophomore) who had been an Army Capt. Quiet guy, laid back.... unless you pushed him too far and were a disruption. When that happened - he would grab your desk with you trapped in it and drag it out into the hallway and make you sit there in the desk in the empty hallway until class was over. When the bell rang, you had to sit there and be laughed at by everyone getting out of class until he let you go. The shame mostly kept everyone in line.

One time, a stoner decided to mouth off at him and get out of the desk while he was being dragged into the hallway. He kicked the desk out from under him so hard the kid dropped to the floor hard and the desk hit the wall with a clang. He grabbed the stoner by the neck with one hand, the desk by the other and stuffed the kid back into it. The kid was so shocked he didn't blink for the next 40 min and the class was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

We have become a pussified nation and we are reaping what we've sown.

Fixed.

Thanks, the list looks better now.

I really don't have many behavior problems, but then I can kick 'em out. And too, we have a slightly more polite society down here. While the paddle may have left the school, it has not left the house. Kids are taught at an early age to say" yes sir, no ma'am," and mind their manners. I have been chastised for using those manners in places well North of here. I often have heard "Don't Yes Ma'am me." Only the Navy could change that, temporarily. We do have plenty problems.

Families make a difference.

Guest One of Five

1). Women need to be more selective to who they get knocked up by.

2). And 'fathers' need to learn how to be Dads.....

and what about the "accidents" along the way?

I had an English teach in HS (freshman or sophomore) who had been an Army Capt. Quiet guy, laid back.... unless you pushed him too far and were a disruption. When that happened - he would grab your desk with you trapped in it and drag it out into the hallway and make you sit there in the desk in the empty hallway until class was over. When the bell rang, you had to sit there and be laughed at by everyone getting out of class until he let you go. The shame mostly kept everyone in line.

One time, a stoner decided to mouth off at him and get out of the desk while he was being dragged into the hallway. He kicked the desk out from under him so hard the kid dropped to the floor hard and the desk hit the wall with a clang. He grabbed the stoner by the neck with one hand, the desk by the other and stuffed the kid back into it. The kid was so shocked he didn't blink for the next 40 min and the class was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Ahhh... the sound of an eraser sizzling through the air was so distinctive.

Nothing like neck-grabber of course...

1). Women need to be more selective to who they get knocked up by.

2). And 'fathers' need to learn how to be Dads.....

and what about the "accidents" along the way?

They should be treated just like autos & accidents. All women should carry Unwanted Pregnancy insurance.....

both my parents have over 30+ yrs teaching in HS each. Some of the stories they have are just nutz and for the bulk of their careers they were at really good schools.

My mom and dad both have been attacked mom is soaking wet 120lbs she got lucky and happen to have a large line backer in her class who was also a kid that knew our family outside of school. In that case a kid that had been asked to leave the class two periods prior to the one she was in the middle of teaching barged into the room angry given the front office had just suspended him and called his parents to come remove him from campus. No idea how he got free roam of the school two periods later but he came barging into the class and blind sided her knocking her across her desk. The line backer kid jumped up and tossed the attacker out of the class and held the door shut while other students helped my mom up. Another kid managed to get out of the class with the line backer keeping the attacker out of the room and the second kid ran and got help. This was back in the 80's - a month after the attack the school district put new door knobs on all the class rooms that allowed teachers to lock the door from the inside to help secure the class from people trying to get into the room. Even today you hear about districts getting dinged for proper security by having classrooms that can be secured from the inside...

My dad who was Basket Ball coach at the HS for 28yrs and taught for over 34yrs had a few cases very similar though he had enough ability to get the attacker out of the room usually with the help of other students. The only time he felt as if the situation was super serious and the attacker was intent on doing bodily harm, the attacker caught the full brunt of a desk chucked at him. In every case my parents along with the school district filed assault charges against the attackers.

Nothing ticked off my parents more than to find out some kids had a history of this and no teacher had ever pressed assault charges against them for their prior attacks on teachers. Also school districts which do not remove kids from campus run the risk of a lawsuit from employees due to the fact that the district did not take proper steps to ensure a safe work place. Typical cases my parents came across were VP's who after suspending the same kid over and over again via various teachers over time get so they push back on the teacher and do not remove the student from campus given repeated suspensions also make VP's look bad and many do not Know how to handle this. As a result you end up with a person on campus who has demonstrated they are not capable of handling school and in some cases demonstrated that their behavior can be a safety issue to other students and school Administration.

Pretty serious stuff! -- good luck and be sure to document it via accurate notes - dates time etc. Video is risky business for teachers but students who shoot video with their own phones can be used as supporting evidence of threats made and the behavior a person is exibiting in the class.

^^^^^

It worked for me.

Its a double sided coin that one. For every good vet who really enjoyed teaching and viewed it as his career I had about 4 vets or retired Military types who were just collecting a check and padding their military retirement. Todays teachers can't touch a kid - or even respond to a kids verbal abuse - the smart teachers keep notes as to what happened when and what was said and expect the VP and district to handle it. The problem is that many VP's and districts do not handle it and the problem escalates and impacts everyone on campus that deals with that individual which has a dramatic impact on the quality of the school experience for the rest of the kids.

My first wife and I were volunteers in a Lakota Sioux Indian Community in rural South Dakota in the early '70s. She taught in an alternative school, and one smart ass kid kept disrupting things. She grabbed him by the neck and threw him out into the snow. He was amazed and embarrassed, and went to his grandmother (parents were drunk somewhere) who was a community leader to tell her about his abuse. She got the American Indian Movement (AIM) involved, which also brought in the US Justice Department for a bit of a confrontation. Russel Means and Dennis Banks (AIM) came to a town meeting in the community (The Justice Department hid us) and the AIM took control and told the community leaders to get their act together and teach their kids how to behave, educate themselves, and take control of their future. We were totally amazed. Wounded Knee was a couple of years later.

The kid eventually became a great friend, took us hiking in the Black Hills (that kid knew how to see things), invited us to his dance competitions. and we arranged for him to visit us the next year in Colorado and took him to a Creedence Clearwater concert. He didn't have a chance with his parents (no water, electricity, food or love at home), but he responded well to being confronted about his behavior.

I tried to find him a few years ago, and located a TV interview with him at a soup kitchen. I called the program director, and she said that she wanted him to be interviewed, because he would say the right things. She lost track of him after he used up his benefits, and he was involved with some people that probably murdered someone in his trailer, and he ran. I always knew that we would live or die with his mouth. I'd still like to find him.

Back in my day in Catholic schools, if you misbehaved the Nun would hand you a wood ruler and tell you to smack the back of your hand with it, all the time yelling harder, harder! In grade 12, my algebra teacher (ex-linebacker priest) kicked a kid in the butt so hard the kid went at least a foot off the ground. He then took him out in the hall where we watched the wall go convex as the kid was bounced off it several times. We all got a lot better at algebra after that day....

I would consider not posting here about it anymore if you expect there to be a discipline or civil/criminal moment pending. You never know who is here and probably wouldn't want certain comments (although truthful) to emerge during some protest that the poor child was just disenfranchised.

Just saying.

My first wife and I were volunteers in a Lakota Sioux Indian Community in rural South Dakota in the early '70s. She taught in an alternative school, and one smart ass kid kept disrupting things. She grabbed him by the neck and threw him out into the snow. He was amazed and embarrassed, and went to his grandmother (parents were drunk somewhere) who was a community leader to tell her about his abuse. She got the American Indian Movement (AIM) involved, which also brought in the US Justice Department for a bit of a confrontation. Russel Means and Dennis Banks (AIM) came to a town meeting in the community (The Justice Department hid us) and the AIM took control and told the community leaders to get their act together and teach their kids how to behave, educate themselves, and take control of their future. We were totally amazed. Wounded Knee was a couple of years later.

The kid eventually became a great friend, took us hiking in the Black Hills (that kid knew how to see things), invited us to his dance competitions. and we arranged for him to visit us the next year in Colorado and took him to a Creedence Clearwater concert. He didn't have a chance with his parents (no water, electricity, food or love at home), but he responded well to being confronted about his behavior.

I tried to find him a few years ago, and located a TV interview with him at a soup kitchen. I called the program director, and she said that she wanted him to be interviewed, because he would say the right things. She lost track of him after he used up his benefits, and he was involved with some people that probably murdered someone in his trailer, and he ran. I always knew that we would live or die with his mouth. I'd still like to find him.

Pine Ridge?

Brian the kids that need a ruler whack today are kids you don't want to whack without a swat team standing in the room ready to fire rubber bullets and the real thing if it gets ugly. BTW - in recent years both parents have had far far more Girls escorted off campus in hand cuffs by the police than boys. My parents called it the princess syndrome no one can say or do anything that goes against the "PRINCESS!!!!!!"

Pine Ridge?

If only if it were that simple. . . there were 5 reservations represented in the community of Sioux Addition, just North of Rapid City (They don't like each other). There was an article in Life Magazine and a book written about the community in the late '60s.

WTF???

well....see ya all ;-)

School have security cams? Go sit with the admin and watch the cams or play the recorded files until he comes by. Take a frame grab of the cretin and post it in an email to the staff. Someone will know the name.

This kid needs to be out of the bricks and mortar school system asap. Kid in a nearby district pulled a similar stunt and is now in the custody of his no-doubt overjoyed parents doing distance learning - don't think he'll be setting foot in a school for the remainder of his education.

Good luck, this stuff sucks, do your best to get closure. Good teachers are hard to come by, you don't need this kind of crap.

dash

kid didn;t come to school today (or he cut lunch...as I checked out every lunch period looking for shithead). Admin knows, school security knows.

and Mustang...........you can have my shitty mando ;-) if things went south.....

you know, the little fucker won just by making me think about this all weekend ....he will have to deal with the consequences.

Pics of the Mandolin??? :-)

We are a pussified nation because we don't allow teachers to physically assault students? If this kind of behavior modification is so effective why isn't it available everywhere, in the workplace, with your spouse, in traffic? Let me ask you when the last time a supervisor at any employer you chose assaulted an under performing wise ass employee and wasn't brought up on serious legal charges? Then why is it ok to do that to students? Because a teacher is a symbol of authority? Because a student is often smaller and weaker than the teacher? Because the student is much younger than the teacher? What about female teachers? We rarely hear of female teachers grabbing stoners by the neck. Violence begets violence. Many of the students that cause big problems in schools, the very ones you advocate using violent punishments on already are subjected to violence in their homes. Do you really think these kids are going to grow up in society and not think about resorting to violence when things aren't going their way? After all this is the lesson they have been repeatedly taught. If you are bigger, you can hit someone. What happens in school when the student is much larger than the teacher. What happens when the student could care less about being beaten, get a 2x4? If that doesn't work, get a gun?

I am and always have been against using physical punishment on children or adults. Yes, I am a parent and no I never raised a hand to my child as much as I may have wanted to. But sometimes you just have to get their attention right? Sure until they are bigger than you then how do you get their attention? There is nothing pussified about non-violent behavior. Yes, it takes more patience and self control and god forbid more intelligence to find a non violent solution but violent behavior causes far more problems than it resolves. There is a big difference between fear and respect. Fear is created, respect is earned.

I'll put this to you very simply, Ed----25/35/45 years ago, when corporal punishment was aklowed in our public schools.....we didn't have this problem with our kids. But now, we do. Coincidence? I think not.....

Guest One of Five

I'll put this to you very simply, Ed----25/35/45 years ago, when corporal punishment was aklowed in our public schools.....we didn't have this problem with our kids. But now, we do. Coincidence? I think not.....

Ed's a looney tune. No respect for anything. <shocker> he's living in Poland where anybody with money is listened to ... they take your money Ed and laugh like monkeys when you leave for pissing on something that's given you so much.

soak_ed:

I agree with you, to a point. Not every child-behavioral problem can or should be solved with a swat or corporal punishment.

On the other side of the coin, there are kids (and adults) that are so damaged, or defective, that it is impossible to "earn their respect". It could be anything from mental illness to abuse in the home, to some kind of birth defect. Sometimes, there simply isn't a discernible cause, people make bad choices, and just don't learn from them.

People who think that Every. Single. God-damned. Problem. has a peaceful, non-violent solution are just as naive, and just as big a part of the problem, as those who think a fist or a gun is the solution.

you don't want it. It's all worn and such.

I'm repairing an old A mandolin that had been in my father-in-law's coat closet for the last 15 years. Back had dried a bit and separated, finish was cruddy, machines gunked up, etc. So - took it apart, sanded it a bit, trying to retain as much of the original finish as I can, put a nice coat of poly stain (it was originally Polyurethane, not lacquer) - and it'll be a nice knock-around for my daughter to play, or, to hang up on her wall as a decoration.

Even so - I like old wooden boxes w/strings - of any kind. Older and more used the better. Wife's primary violin is from the 1860s, her special violin is from the late 1600s, and my main guitar is from 2 years ago when GuitarCenter had a sale. :-)

soak_ed:

I agree with you, to a point. Not every child-behavioral problem can or should be solved with a swat or corporal punishment.

On the other side of the coin, there are kids (and adults) that are so damaged, or defective, that it is impossible to "earn their respect". It could be anything from mental illness to abuse in the home, to some kind of birth defect. Sometimes, there simply isn't a discernible cause, people make bad choices, and just don't learn from them.

People who think that Every. Single. God-damned. Problem. has a peaceful, non-violent solution are just as naive, and just as big a part of the problem, as those who think a fist or a gun is the solution.

A very well-reasoned & logical response, sir. Many of us were not talking about serious violence either. A hand-spanking when appropriate at the appropriate age is not violent. Even a whack on the wrist with a ruler is not serious. A little fucker picked up out of his desk by the scruff of the neck or by his shirt is not violent. The nuns used to grab bad kids by their ear....again...not violent in my book. The key I think is "nippping it in the bud". Every sort of bad behavior needs an appropriate & immediate response. This no longer happens in our pussified society, thanks to bleeding hearts, pc police, stupidity, lawyers, etc. In most cases these days, it's too late. All the opportunities to turn the kid around have been blown. Add to that all the scamming that is so prevelent now....it's like so common now the kids are learning that it is almost legit. So, good luck with the future generations....

I know that if I was ever disrespectful to a teacher, bus driver,or lunch lady the wrath of my teachers and Principal would have nothing on what I would face at home...There were never 2 sides to the story, only the teacher's side. And yes I saw the back side of the hairbrush more than once, and turned out quite fine thank-you-very-much! (my parents used to buy us those paddles with the ball and rubber string and then just wait for the ball to fall off...I hated that thing, my dads weapon of choice)

I know that if I was ever disrespectful to a teacher, bus driver,or lunch lady the wrath of my teachers and Principal would have nothing on what I would face at home...There were never 2 sides to the story, only the teacher's side. And yes I saw the back side of the hairbrush more than once, and turned out quite fine thank-you-very-much! (my parents used to buy us those paddles with the ball and rubber string and then just wait for the ball to fall off...I hated that thing, my dads weapon of choice)

But but but.....you never had the urge to bike over to Sears, buy a .22 rifle and thenn kill-to-death everyone in your family and at school?

I am shocked, shocked am I...

soak_ed:

Well stated - permitting those in positions of authority the discretion to decide which approach is appropriate, along with guidelines and oversight to prevent abuse of that discretion, is one of the recent "improvements" that I daresay has exacerbated the lack of respect in many of our young people.

and today.......................another teacher got jumped by a student as he was trying to break up a fight in the hallway. One of the friends of the kid who was fighting wanted them to continue to fight. Punched the teacher above the eye...split right open. Lockdown for 45 minutes. The school is going to hell.....

I'm still alive.....the asshat who threatened me won;t be coming back until after the Holidays.

no wonder Poughkeepsie was ranked 18th WORST city to live in.......

and today.......................another teacher got jumped by a student as he was trying to break up a fight in the hallway. One of the friends of the kid who was fighting wanted them to continue to fight. Punched the teacher above the eye...split right open. Lockdown for 45 minutes. The school is going to hell.....

I'm still alive.....the asshat who threatened me won;t be coming back until after the Holidays.

My initial reaction to that story was: fucking animals! But then I remembered the parents are the ones who failed here. Maybe everytime a kid does something serious like this, we take the big wodden paddle to the mother or father and wail on them instead.

Serious question and not to make this into a race thing..... but do you find the more violent kids come from any particular ethnicity or race? Or is it pretty equal across the board? Same question for socio-economic class?

My initial reaction to that story was: fucking animals! But then I remembered the parents are the ones who failed here. Maybe everytime a kid does something serious like this, we take the big wodden paddle to the mother or father and wail on them instead.

Serious question and not to make this into a race thing..... but do you find the more violent kids come from any particular ethnicity or race? Or is it pretty equal across the board? Same question for socio-economic class?

tough question to answer ....our school is made up of 60% black, 30% Hispanic, 10% Caucasian....40% of the kids haven;t been in any fights as far as I know this year. The Hispanic kids , although many who come from the same lower economic bracket as the black children keep to themselves, and for the most part, try/work hard/are polite. half of the white kids are in the middle/upper middle class ...never have a problem with. the lower economic kids tend to be poor students, slackers, want to cut class but they too don;t get into these big brawls. (except for 12 child who was expelled this year...but he had MANY issues...) I'll wager that most of the fighting, disrespect is caused by only about 10-20% of the entire school population.

I have 150 kids (6-8 grade) in my music classes....all colors, all economic classes, all different abilities. Some of them slack off, some of them don;t take music as seriously s other classes, some bust their ass to do great.....none of my kids would ever be so disrespectful to any adult...nor would they go seek fights. I'll guess that the majority of my kids have parents in their lives who give a shit.......that's the game changer. Halfway decent parental involvment, the kids are "normal" shithead parents/no parents/criminal parents....then the same things happens with the kids.

I can honestly say that I Blame the parents/lack of parents for the demise of our youth in America.......(obviously there are outliers... who buck the norm)

The amazing thing is how quickly my parents found out about my discretion. Even before cell phones and the internet. Both of my parents taught too. Dad taught history until taking over the IT for his system. Mom was the head of the Nursing dept of the school I teach in now. Both have stories. One kid (hs) swung a bat at my Dad. But those were very rare happenings. I have not had a single student who resorted to physical violence in eight years. Come to think about it, I have not even had a verbal confrontation. Teachers should be able to earn respect in short order with new classes.

soak_ed:

I am a little confused by your response. Are you saying that people that are mentally illl or have birth defects should get corporal punishment because they can't be reached any other way? And that by doing so they will learn?

Nobody has addressed the question I asked, if corporal punishment is so effective then why can't adults use it on each other? (Except in the bedroom between consenting adults of course.) If adults can't hit one another why is it ok to hit /grab or otherwise lay hands on children?

soak_ed:

I am a little confused by your response. Are you saying that people that are mentally illl or have birth defects should get corporal punishment because they can't be reached any other way? And that by doing so they will learn?

Nobody has addressed the question I asked, if corporal punishment is so effective then why can't adults use it on each other? (Except in the bedroom between consenting adults of course.) If adults can't hit one another why is it ok to hit /grab or otherwise lay hands on children?

Corporal Punishment, when deployed as a means to immediately cease a behavior and gain the attention of the offender is valid. Corporal punishment when deployed as an angry reaction intended to cause harm to the offender is not.

Corporal punishment is used in certain facets of adult life, and I suspect that you understand its effectiveness as well. How many times did you have to do pushups/other self-inflicted exercises when you screwed up in the military? Got your attention, did it not?

When my son was around 3 or 4, he started throwing a fit in a restaurant. I told him once to stop, and when he did not, I picked him up out of his chair, carried him outside, all the while with him still screaming and throwing a tantrum. I stood him up, swatted his butt once, turned him around, and told him that when he stopped screaming, that we could talk. That's the only time in his life that I ever had to smack him - he'd gotten the point that when Dad was serious about something, that it was time to listen. There are many more instances, I'm certain, of parents hitting kids, just to hit them, without any intention of following up on the behavioral correction (You do that again - I'm gonna knock hell outta you!)

That's poor parenting, and not something that I could ever condone.

soak_ed:

Corporal Punishment, when deployed as a means to immediately cease a behavior and gain the attention of the offender is valid. Corporal punishment when deployed as an angry reaction intended to cause harm to the offender is not.

Corporal punishment is used in certain facets of adult life, and I suspect that you understand its effectiveness as well. How many times did you have to do pushups/other self-inflicted exercises when you screwed up in the military? Got your attention, did it not?

When my son was around 3 or 4, he started throwing a fit in a restaurant. I told him once to stop, and when he did not, I picked him up out of his chair, carried him outside, all the while with him still screaming and throwing a tantrum. I stood him up, swatted his butt once, turned him around, and told him that when he stopped screaming, that we could talk. That's the only time in his life that I ever had to smack him - he'd gotten the point that when Dad was serious about something, that it was time to listen. There are many more instances, I'm certain, of parents hitting kids, just to hit them, without any intention of following up on the behavioral correction (You do that again - I'm gonna knock hell outta you!)

When one is in the habit of using violence it is very easy to cross the line from calm use to out of control in my opinion.

Sorry but push ups and sit ups etc are not the same as somebody putting their hands on your person.

Regarding your son, I used what my daughter calls "The Voice" to get her attention when her behavior was unacceptable. She told me she can still hear "The Voice" many years later. The last thing I wanted to teach my daughter is that it is ok for a man to hit a woman, no matter what justification is used. If you agree with that then why is violence appropriate toward boys and not girls? If you start early, work hard and be consistent there are many other means of behavior modification that are highly effective. Unfortunately, violence is easier and effective too, just in my opinion, highly inappropriate under any circumstances.

soak_ed:

When one is in the habit of using violence it is very easy to cross the line from calm use to out of control in my opinion.

Sorry but push ups and sit ups etc are not the same as somebody putting their hands on your person.

Regarding your son, I used what my daughter calls "The Voice" to get her attention when her behavior was unacceptable. She told me she can still hear "The Voice" many years later. The last thing I wanted to teach my daughter is that it is ok for a man to hit a woman, no matter what justification is used. If you agree with that then why is violence appropriate toward boys and not girls? If you start early, work hard and be consistent there are many other means of behavior modification that are highly effective. Unfortunately, violence is easier and effective too, just in my opinion, highly inappropriate under any circumstances.

If a very young child has not learned how to behave and take direction an older child is simply 100X worse. This general concept works with just about any animal that is domesticated and functions in our society - horse, dog, kid etc. Children who fail to function properly in social settings have not been given the skills they need to make it work. Those skills are different for each kid some may have ADD - others might be shy, some may have other developmental challenges each one requires a child to be taught skills that enable them to cope and function properly in our society. A kid who makes threats to teachers and others to get a rise out of them will continue to escalate the type of threats they make to continue to up the level of response till one day the response is far more than they anticipated ie another kid shooting them or some adult beating them into a heap etc. Though as pointed out they learn their social behavior skills from home which is why parent Teacher conferences with kids exibiting social skill issues usually involves multiple teachers - school Administrators all meeting with the parent at the same time. Given typically the parent is just as bad or worse and the school district policy to protect its employees is to ensure plenty of witnesses are on hand if the parent goes off the deep end. Not to mention multiple teachers all giving the parent the same message tends to break through some of the hard headed parents that yes really the issue is their kid not the school or the teachers.

Nobody has addressed the question I asked, if corporal punishment is so effective then why can't adults use it on each other?

Other sanctions are available for adults that we'd rather not inflict on children, including firing from job, prison and other criminal punishments and military punishments.

40 years ago we had corporal punishment in school which was nasty but over quickly. Now instead we have administration of medication on a huge scale to control child behaviour, exclusions, expulsions, disruption of classes for other children and a decreasing number of the best qualified wanting to be teachers. Which of these was in reality the kinder regime for children to grow up in? The answer isn't obvious to me.

Nobody has addressed the question I asked, if corporal punishment is so effective then why can't adults use it on each other?

Other sanctions are available for adults that we'd rather not inflict on children, including firing from job, prison and other criminal punishments and military punishments.

40 years ago we had corporal punishment in school which was nasty but over quickly. Now instead we have administration of medication on a huge scale to control child behaviour, exclusions, expulsions, disruption of classes for other children and a decreasing number of the best qualified wanting to be teachers. Which of these was in reality the kinder regime for children to grow up in? The answer isn't obvious to me.

40 or more years ago we had homes where the mother stayed home to raise the children. We didn't have 500 channels of cable TV, computer games and DVDs. We had school budgets that provided for education, supplies and extras. To say that the lack of corporal punishment in the schools is the source of todays problems is a gross oversimplification of reality.

My wife and I took in a classmate of my daughter when she was 12- a boy whose parents were divorced- mother completely gone and father barely there. Boy was living with his father who was often not home, and had been expelled from daughter's school for repeated bad behavior (no violence). Boy asked if he could come live with us and eventually we agreed. I remember two things immediately. He willingly signed a promise to obey a set of rules in our house in front of his father- rules he wouldn't obey at home. Within a month, I was sitting with him at the kitchen table waiting for him to finish some small thing I had told him needed to be done before he went to bed. It was about 2 am and he kept saying that what I was asking him to do wasn't important enough for all the fuss I was making and I kept saying it didn't matter what I asked him to do, he needed to understand that as long as he lived with us he had to do it. We got to bed at 3- thing had been done.

We weren't the only adults in his life working to save him, and he is now a college graduate with a great job, and we remain close. I agree entirely that the issue is simpler the younger the child. Little humans need structure, discipline and obedience.

We had school budgets that provided for education, supplies and extras.

To this one point- government statistics show that generally, per student spending in US schools, adjusted for inflation, has more than tripled in the last 40 years. It isn't the total amount of money spent that has our schools looking the way they do.

40 or more years ago we had homes where the mother stayed home to raise the children. We didn't have 500 channels of cable TV, computer games and DVDs. We had school budgets that provided for education, supplies and extras. To say that the lack of corporal punishment in the schools is the source of todays problems is a gross oversimplification of reality.

Overall the US spends more on education than it does on defense. It is not a lack of money, it is a lack of management skills. I teach some classes that would be just fine with a chalk board for me and test books/notebooks for the students. In fact, most academic classes that is all that is required. It does cost money for the buildings and salaries. If transportation is involved then that can be expensive. Food is another cost, as is sports. administrative costs and the cost of meeting Federal, State and local requirements. IT certainly carries a price tag.

Granted some neighborhoods have more funds than others. Still the neighborhoods with the lower funds are usually the most grossly mismanaged. In short, I say again, Money is not the answer. Money is simply an excuse to add taxes to the budget. After all, who doesn't want to spend more money?

We had school budgets that provided for education, supplies and extras.

To this one point- government statistics show that generally, per student spending in US schools, adjusted for inflation, has more than tripled in the last 40 years. It isn't the total amount of money spent that has our schools looking the way they do.

Oddly this whole thing about school budgets and the reality of the costs never get explained to your typical non teacher school type.

The last 5yrs my mom taught 7th Grade Science 5 science teachers had a total of $400 between the two of them to cover classroom costs. Meaning lab materials for 5 teachers each having about 180 kids a day for a year! Typically my mother spent $400 of her own money at the start of every school year buying basics - paper, color pencils etc.

One bone lab that my parents have used for a long time every now and then pending the type of kids in the class (IE they could handle the lab etc) is called an Owl Pellet lab some of you may have actually even done one as kid back in the day. Back in the day my brother and I would spend a weekend at some point out collecting Pellets with our parents which would then later be used by them and other teachers to run the lab activity. Fast forward to the 90's where teachers started getting sued and being required to offer "Alternatives" to kids having excuses err "Religious reasons" for not doing a lab - we no longer collected Pellets - my parents purchased them from supply companies which would be the focus of a lawsuit if one were to ever happen. -- In 2009 my mom had a great bunch of kids who were very capable of handling doing labs on this level and a parent gave her $500. She purchased pellets and materials needed to run the lab for all of her classes it cost her $480. For ONE highly rewarding lab activity for which some kids really enjoy doing and really learn from regarding bones and bone structures during the "Bones" portion of the curriculum.

So how exactly can 5 science teachers given $400 for the year to share create highly rewarding interactive hands on labs when they have less than $100 each to work with for the year?

Sure spending has increased but so has building costs - heat costs - liability costs - cost of living for those working at the schools. Granted there are issues such as District Superintendents who negotiate multi million dollar 2-3-5yr contracts who then leave the position after a year or so but continue to get paid out on their contract! There is a on going scam being run on Public School Districts by these people who hop from one district to the next and the School boards give them these contracts which continue to pay out even when the Super leaves!!!! Its the biggest scam going and the School boards are the ones that allow it to happen.

Sure spending has increased but so has building costs - heat costs - liability costs - cost of living for those working at the schools. Granted there are issues such as District Superintendents who negotiate multi million dollar 2-3-5yr contracts who then leave the position after a year or so but continue to get paid out on their contract! There is a on going scam being run on Public School Districts by these people who hop from one district to the next and the School boards give them these contracts which continue to pay out even when the Super leaves!!!! Its the biggest scam going and the School boards are the ones that allow it to happen.

Exactly.

Exactly.

And School boards are made up of public folks voted into the board! You want to fix some of whats wrong with our schools run for a position in your local school board. The bizzaro shit you see happening in those School board decision making would really piss you off!

Exactly.

I recall back in the late 90's a Superintendant hired out of Socal to my Mom's district was collecting on two other contracts while working at her district! All the teachers couldn't believe the School board hired this person or what they agreed to pay them and the contract they gave this person. Two years later on a 5yr contract guess what? Yep that person left I sorta recall them going to the East coast and yes you guessed it the School Board had to pay out the remainder of the 5yr contract!!!!!!

People like that should face lawsuits and school boards should not be allowed to create and negotiate contracts without the approval of a governing board that has a contract specialist sitting on it.

Exactly.

And School boards are made up of public folks voted into the board! You want to fix some of whats wrong with our schools run for a position in your local school board. The bizzaro shit you see happening in those School board decision making would really piss you off!

I have been close to education for the major portion of my political professional career. I have worked as a subcontractor for a software company. My parents both taught. I teach. Believe me I know. The stories about bad behavior in the classroom pale to the misconduct of school officials. They are elected. Unseating them is nearly impossible. Edited,

to add...no amount of $$ will correct poor parenting. I don;t work in a wealthy district yet we have the 3rd highest budget in the county (12 school districts) throw all the money you want my way, it won't change children's behaviors. It's starts at home and ends at home. Early childhood (pre-k) intervention, a sense of self worth , manners, how one conducts themselves in public...these things MUST be taught at home, and it MUST BE taught by PARENTS I worked at the elementary level in my school district 4 years ago. THE kids who had violence issues, were rude, misbehaved, yelled, fought then are the SAME ONES THAT ARE DOING IT NOW. Today I overheard a mother or a girl who was in a fight yesterday in the main office telling the principal that she told her daughter to fight. She said that her daughter has her permission to fight whomever bothers her......unfuckingbelievable. The mother is the one who needs her head handed to her...