Ugly dodger collection

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a great idea. String some lights on her and you will have the Perfect Christmas Tree Boat.  

I suppose this is the future.  Guess I won’t be around long enough to “enjoy” it.  Frankly, I think I will be very old fashioned and enjoy what I have always enjoyed.  A nice little boat that is fairl

It was a Townson 28 before, they look quite good, in my opinion, if you keep them as they are.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Santanasailor said:

Not even sure if this is a real boat (and you are right it is not a sailing craft) but if it is real, I would be a touch concerned about the stability in a rolling seaway

EE378D8F-5AF3-4DAD-9033-FDEE0761843E.jpeg

I believe that somewhere in the archive, there is a photo of that thing floating.  And I can assure you that it will sail.  Not under control, of course, but it will definitely go down wind. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, chester said:

front companionway is offset, you know where that boat is going.

The mast looks offset too.  Must either be a perspective thing or a 21 century design principle only a few understand.

On 12/28/2021 at 1:56 PM, huey 2 said:

a hard dodger....

image.png.a6ec81bb4213c29a7ced1f259546a869.png

That's a very cunning design.  The position of the  cockpit has been optimised so that any spray over the weather bow will soak the whole cockpit.

Never before has such perfection been achieved.

On 12/28/2021 at 8:56 AM, huey 2 said:

a hard dodger....

image.png.a6ec81bb4213c29a7ced1f259546a869.png

So much wrong here.   It looks like it was designed by someone with little sailing experience.

Center cockpit boats tend to be wetter than aft cockpit boats.  This boat increases the wetness factor by being even closer to the bow and extending almost to the edge of the hull.  So you get the spray from the bow plus waves are invited into the cockpit.

The jib sheets to the rail and this is a wide boat so you don't have have decent sheeting angles.   You probably will put a dodger on the boat which would be in front of the mast so the jib clew would have to be high enough to be clear of the dodger when tacking.  Hopefully the jib sheets won't get tangled in the dodger and try to rip it off when tacking.  I like dodgers that extend in width at least just beyond the cockpit seat backs - on this boat the dodger would have to go almost to the rail which would make going forward inconvenient.

The boat looks like the cockpit extends to the stern but a boxlike structure was plopped into the back of it.  Great for obscuring your vision aft unless you are standing and are tall.   At least the box roof is sloped down aft which helps a little.   The box is wide enough that it might be a little tight walking from the cockpit to the stern.   At least that passageway could allow the flood in the cockpit to drain out the stern.

The cockpit being wide and deep means that moving from the forward cabin area to the aft cabin area would have to be done by going out into the cockpit.   Or possibly a crawl space to go from one area to another area.  No standing or even crouching headroom in a connecting passageway.  Pretty much not acceptable on a boat this size.

My impression is that this boat would have a fairly inefficient use of space belowdecks.  And the boom seems short for a boat with a relatively small J dimension so it could be undercanvassed.

The entrances to the aft structure are closer to the rail than most offset companionways...... 

My first thought was that big center "cockpit" was where the benches for the galley slaves will be installed.  No one cares if they get sprayed on.

Then I thought maybe it's the cargo hold shown with the cover fully retracted.  Most efficient way to trans-ship bales of drugs.  

1 hour ago, slap said:

So much wrong here.   It looks like it was designed by someone with little sailing experience.

Center cockpit boats tend to be wetter than aft cockpit boats.  This boat increases the wetness factor by being even closer to the bow and extending almost to the edge of the hull.  So you get the spray from the bow plus waves are invited into the cockpit.

The jib sheets to the rail and this is a wide boat so you don't have have decent sheeting angles.   You probably will put a dodger on the boat which would be in front of the mast so the jib clew would have to be high enough to be clear of the dodger when tacking.  Hopefully the jib sheets won't get tangled in the dodger and try to rip it off when tacking.  I like dodgers that extend in width at least just beyond the cockpit seat backs - on this boat the dodger would have to go almost to the rail which would make going forward inconvenient.

The boat looks like the cockpit extends to the stern but a boxlike structure was plopped into the back of it.  Great for obscuring your vision aft unless you are standing and are tall.   At least the box roof is sloped down aft which helps a little.   The box is wide enough that it might be a little tight walking from the cockpit to the stern.   At least that passageway could allow the flood in the cockpit to drain out the stern.

The cockpit being wide and deep means that moving from the forward cabin area to the aft cabin area would have to be done by going out into the cockpit.   Or possibly a crawl space to go from one area to another area.  No standing or even crouching headroom in a connecting passageway.  Pretty much not acceptable on a boat this size.

My impression is that this boat would have a fairly inefficient use of space belowdecks.  And the boom seems short for a boat with a relatively small J dimension so it could be undercanvassed.

The entrances to the aft structure are closer to the rail than most offset companionways...... 

But its got davits to carry the owners water toys,  

It's hard to scale this boat, but with the few clues that are given it would need to be at least 100 feet long to work at all. At that point, the dinghy would be about 20 feet long to hang in the davits properly, and the dance hall at the back would be about 20' X 30'. It would still be crawling headroom from the front cabin to the aft space. No hull ports, so the downstairs would be dismally dark, especially aft. The outside colour scheme I'd call Grimy Factory Town. I'll give it a 1.5 out of 100.

Edit: I forgot to mention they don't show the ladders you'd need to access the foredeck.

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It's hard to scale this boat, but with the few clues that are given it would need to be at least 100 feet long to work at all. At that point, the dinghy would be about 20 feet long to hang in the davits properly, and the dance hall at the back would be about 20' X 30'. It would still be crawling headroom from the front cabin to the aft space. No hull ports, so the downstairs would be dismally dark, especially aft. The outside colour scheme I'd call Grimy Factory Town. I'll give it a 1.5 out of 100.

Edit: I forgot to mention they don't show the ladders you'd need to access the foredeck.

sheesh, what a buzz kill

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

B) Duh.  You grab a spare halyard and swing up to the foredeck.  Preferably with yer shirt open and a cutlass in one hand.  Or a martini, depending.  

14 minutes ago, toddster said:

B) Duh.  You grab a spare halyard and swing up to the foredeck.  Preferably with yer shirt open and a cutlass in one hand.  Or a martini, depending.  

Sterling Hayden style!

From the looks of the hull shape, there really is nothing under the decks besides a handy place to carry dirty bilge water. The fore peak appears to be nothing more than a place to store life vests and other assorted boating “stuff.”  

The pilot house as such is a place for the guests when it is too cool or too hot.  In reality, a basic hideout from the sun and a place to imbibe one’s favorite alcoholic beverages without he Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries people seeing you and writing a particularly nasty ticket. The mast and sails are more for decoration. This is a power craft made to look ‘nautical.’  

Like all good compromises, it compromises all that’s good while keeping all that’s not really necessary and/or deters from the vessels ability to actual navigate under sail and likely under power.  

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Why?

Just why?

Look at the name.  "Lateen Hind".    Like it came out of someones butt.

Oh, that little sliver of a centerboard/daggerboard, would make this abomination all but impossible for the ‘individual’ likely to purchase this ‘thing’ totally unable to sail it

What the hell ever happened to “if she looks right, she be right.”

45 minutes ago, Santanasailor said:

Oh, that little sliver of a centerboard/daggerboard, would make this abomination all but impossible for the ‘individual’ likely to purchase this ‘thing’ totally unable to sail it

What the hell ever happened to “if she looks right, she be right.”

That still holds true. This looks fucking awful.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Voiled said:

Wow, a huge and uttermost ugly dodger. And despite it's size it won't even dodge a wave wanting to go in the cockpit.

This project is in progress, it could be covered in plexiglass, strataglass, or screen. Or possibly a combo of all three. 

44 minutes ago, Voiled said:

And despite it's size it won't even dodge a wave wanting to go in the cockpit.

I don’t think this boat will ever see any waves again, except the ones from boats passing by.

• 2 months later...

IMG_0088.thumb.jpeg.490e6dff05c2943d2875734b9dfb2bfa.jpeg

Not sure if it qualifies as a dodger, but then again, I can't say what this structure is. Just that it perplexes, astounds and repels me to a degree that I need an esthetic exorcism. Seriously, does anyone have a clue wtf this. 

11 hours ago, Student_Driver said:

Seriously, does anyone have a clue wtf this. 

floating cannabis factory ?

• Like 1

Its one of them there new fangled ahdearrs.  Ladder masts, double jibs must be fast 'cause no one is doing it

image.png.42cc9b61125c08ace3b2d17e21b26222.png

I suppose this is the future.  Guess I won’t be around long enough to “enjoy” it.  Frankly, I think I will be very old fashioned and enjoy what I have always enjoyed.  A nice little boat that is fairly fast and to my eye, good looking.  (As always, your mileage may vary and to you this may be beautiful) 

Modern, solar powered, wing sailed catamaran.

As I said, not the fastest and certainly not the most modern, but I’ll take her, and she’s mine.  

F14D8703-4741-4974-9E44-6A287487B04E.jpeg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Santanasailor said:

I suppose this is the future.  Guess I won’t be around long enough to “enjoy” it.  Frankly, I think I will be very old fashioned and enjoy what I have always enjoyed.  A nice little boat that is fairly fast and to my eye, good looking.  (As always, your mileage may vary and to you this may be beautiful) 

Modern, solar powered, wing sailed catamaran.

As I said, not the fastest and certainly not the most modern, but I’ll take her, and she’s mine.  

F14D8703-4741-4974-9E44-6A287487B04E.jpeg

Its All Mine Eric Cartman GIF - Its All Mine Eric Cartman Kenny Mccormick GIFs

15 hours ago, Santanasailor said:

Nicely trimmed sailed, Bristol-fashion and you are out sailing.  You should be proud. 

• Like 1

it is one of the frontrunners in the "most-idiotic-cruising-vessel" contest; could be a joke too ("how many moronic features can one incorporate?")

On 4/1/2022 at 5:59 AM, chester said:

is that an off set pilot house???:o

Yes. But the offset door offsets the offset. Or squares it. Or cubes it.

On 4/1/2022 at 3:48 AM, tane said:

"wind" - like "flatulence"

Going back to the original picture.  What is the point of the helm at the far rear of the boat, when there is a perfectly good steering wheel inside that lets you steer, get drunk and do anything else your heart desires outside of the sun and the weather.  

After all, these boats aren’t made to be sailed right?  Power up the old aux and go for a cruise.